Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 144628 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #960 on: July 31, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
I guess it depends on what he said, I can interpret that as classic british understatement

like yes threatening to murder members of parliament might cause some anxiety and would also earn you a checkup in the US

:idont

Apparently he posted this:

https://twitter.com/greggscott/status/1553492737277804545

Which is yeah, dumb, but not really handcuff dumb

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #961 on: July 31, 2022, 10:07:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/JavaidUsama/status/1552734948175384579

Something I recently discovered is that there's also a rise of anti-anti-sjw youtubers. And while progressive youtubers always existed I find it particularly interesting how they now exactly copy the style of the anti-woke ones. Same type of thumbnails, video titles, video format, making a new video pretty much everyday...

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #962 on: July 31, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »
I guess it depends on what he said, I can interpret that as classic british understatement

like yes threatening to murder members of parliament might cause some anxiety and would also earn you a checkup in the US

:idont

Apparently he posted this:

https://twitter.com/greggscott/status/1553492737277804545

Which is yeah, dumb, but not really handcuff dumb

when I try to look for the benefit of the doubt

:picard

a reply also says it was even just a share, he didn't post it himself
Uncle

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #963 on: July 31, 2022, 11:04:07 AM »
No, it's pretty funny. The guy is probably a tool, but that picture is objectively at least a litle bit funny.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #964 on: July 31, 2022, 11:18:19 AM »
Femninists FURIOUS as Sonic's success proves gamers right

that's right :mario
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #965 on: July 31, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »
Something I recently discovered is that there's also a rise of anti-anti-sjw youtubers. And while progressive youtubers always existed I find it particularly interesting how they now exactly copy the style of the anti-woke ones. Same type of thumbnails, video titles, video format, making a new video pretty much everyday...

(Image removed from quote.)
Who watches this shit? Look at those video lengths.

People compare it to cable news but that's completely different I think. Watch Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow, yes, they have a worldview that supposedly informs everything but they'll cover like ten topics on a show not spend thirty minutes on a single thing from pop culture.

You can completely disagree with Tucker Carlson and watch his show and get informed. You'll get a sense of "what's going on" in media circles, you'll learn what conservatives are or are about to be outraged about, you might hear a story that's not really covered elsewhere because it's one of Tucker's obsessions and then you can go learn about that story from better sources, etc. What can you possibly learn from these kinds of channels?

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #967 on: July 31, 2022, 10:53:54 PM »

People compare it to cable news but that's completely different I think. Watch Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow, yes, they have a worldview that supposedly informs everything but they'll cover like ten topics on a show not spend thirty minutes on a single thing from pop culture.

You can completely disagree with Tucker Carlson and watch his show and get informed. You'll get a sense of "what's going on" in media circles, you'll learn what conservatives are or are about to be outraged about, you might hear a story that's not really covered elsewhere because it's one of Tucker's obsessions and then you can go learn about that story from better sources, etc. What can you possibly learn from these kinds of channels?
To me, it's unbelievable how much credit the younger generations get for being "media savvy" when they give shit YouTube videos as much creedence as actual professional media as long as it supports their political/cultural worldview.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #968 on: August 01, 2022, 12:05:13 AM »

Uncle

Tuckers Law

« Reply #969 on: August 01, 2022, 01:14:50 AM »

To me, it's unbelievable how much credit the younger generations get for being "media savvy" when they give shit YouTube videos as much creedence as actual professional media as long as it supports their political/cultural worldview.
Media savvy?  Probably not.  Distrustful of professional media though, certainly, especially when shitheads like Taylor Lorenz can remain employed at the top establishments after repeated ethical failures and "missteps".  They see a system being gamed by those who are bought and paid for it, at the detriment of the people at large (regardless of whether or not that statement is actually true).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:25:58 AM by Tuckers Law »

Boredfrom

« Reply #970 on: August 01, 2022, 01:27:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/JavaidUsama/status/1552734948175384579

Being fair, I’m pretty sure YouTube encourages this kind thumbnails and video titles. Doesn’t mean they aren’t annoying clickbait trash, just that YouTube itself encourages this shit (and a reason why being a hardcore leftist in YouTube is kind of laughable).

Also, I wish there were more antiSJW that were not alt right cunts (or progressives that were not shallow assholes bitching about anime tits) rather than this hellhole of “trolls trolling trolls”.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #971 on: August 01, 2022, 05:15:56 AM »
I find it kind of hilarious people like the Quartering are hated that much. The content is literally reading out some conservative news article and then chuckling every so often. How that shit is even considered transformative on youtube is beyond me.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #972 on: August 01, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »
(ice)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

Polident Hive

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #978 on: August 05, 2022, 04:57:16 PM »
:nintex
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #979 on: August 07, 2022, 05:35:52 PM »

I think he's jumping to conclusions here but at the same time the economic downturn will mean that studios will aim for the biggest demographic and movies they can release worldwide.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #982 on: August 08, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #985 on: August 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
when I see conservatives saying civil war now lock and load brothers in arms, I expect the same results as liberals saying guillotine CEOs, eat the rich, imprison those who literally genocide us day by day
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #986 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
when I see conservatives saying civil war now lock and load brothers in arms, I expect the same results as liberals saying guillotine CEOs, eat the rich, imprison those who literally genocide us day by day

Counterpoint, Timmy McVeigh
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:52:54 PM by james »
:O

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #987 on: August 09, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »

Pretty much, this is the ultimate fantasy but for 97% of those it's "deffo gonna take part! ...if you can deliver the Antifas and war just directly on my lawn."
:engel
I don't think it's a great sign it's so popular a rallying cry no matter how empty and idle it is.
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #988 on: August 09, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »

Counterloint, Timmy McVeigh

right, and anyone who actually goes off the deep end and takes action is only going to damage their own side more from the optics, because most people just want to live in peace
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #989 on: August 09, 2022, 12:53:31 PM »

Counterloint, Timmy McVeigh

right, and anyone who actually goes off the deep end and takes action is only going to damage their own side more from the optics, because most people just want to live in peace

Counterpoint, American hero Christopher Dorner
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #990 on: August 09, 2022, 12:55:31 PM »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #991 on: August 09, 2022, 05:47:50 PM »
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #992 on: August 10, 2022, 12:27:59 AM »
According to a report from The National, which was published last Friday (Aug. 5), Kyle Siegel, a 25-year-old White man, was fined £500 ($604 in USD), for using the N-word while rapping The Wu-Tang Clan's 1993 track "Protect Ya Neck." The young man was recording himself for a TikTok video while standing in a women’s bathroom stall.

Unbeknownst to Siegel, however, a woman of mixed race was in the next cubicle and heard him use the racial slur. The woman claimed she was "severely shocked" by the man's actions.

According to the newspaper, Siegel was in Lerwick Sheriff Court to answer the charges that he was using profanity in public. Prosecutor Fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said that Siegel committed the act at 1 a.m. during a birthday party at the Scalloway Boating Club on Feb. 20.

Siegel admitted to the court that he conducted himself in a disorderly manner by entering the female restroom, in which several people were present, including a woman of mixed race, and uttering the N-word. Siegel’s lawyer, Tommy Allan, said his client was "singing along to a TikTok on a friend’s phone."

According to the prosecutor, the man's rapping was so loud that the woman complained before an argument ensued. Apparently, the woman called the police and reported the incident. The officer said a few issues arose from the case, such as "artistic freedom," but he noted Siegel was not a "person of color."

benjipwns

benjipwns

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #995 on: August 10, 2022, 01:35:53 AM »
now that's praxis

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #996 on: August 10, 2022, 11:19:53 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #997 on: August 11, 2022, 02:58:54 PM »
Taika makes one bad Thor movie and they're ready to cancel him

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/taika-waititi-tweets-resurfaced-trans-flag-means-death-b2142812.html?amp

The latest celebrity to be caught in a “resurfaced tweets” furore is filmmaker and actor Taika Waititi. The 46-year-old New Zealander recently directed the Marvel blockbuster Thor: Love and Thunder, and was in the news yesterday (9 August) following his surprise wedding to pop star Rita Ora. The tweets – shared by Waititi almost a decade ago, in January 2013 – were, many have argued, transphobic and offensive. After making a string of disparaging comments about a beauty pageant, he wrote: “No disrespect to men who want to be/dress as women. I should have just said their make-up looks manly.” Another tweet saw him write: “My trans friends can walk in heels. but you’re right, actual kathoey are better looking.” (“Kathoey” is a Thai term with a complex history of meanings related to transgender people, particularly women.) Waititi was not a well-known public figure at the time – a small role in Green Lantern and his relatively obscure indie film Boy were his most noteworthy credits – so the remarks failed to elicit any substantial backlash until now. Responses have ranged from disappointment, to demands for an apology, to somewhat gleeful condemnation. But even if we all agree that his tweets are objectionable, is diving 10 years into the past for a quick “gotcha” really doing anyone any good?
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #998 on: August 11, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
But even if we all agree that his tweets are objectionable, is diving 10 years into the past for a quick “gotcha” really doing anyone any good?

Uncle

benjipwns

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:06:41 PM by benjipwns »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2022, 05:18:36 PM »
oof

"I can excuse pedophilia but I draw the line at cultural appropriation!"

benjipwns

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:10:22 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #1002 on: August 11, 2022, 07:32:18 PM »

:hmm

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1003 on: August 13, 2022, 09:17:36 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1004 on: August 13, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1005 on: August 15, 2022, 10:27:16 PM »

:hmm

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1006 on: August 18, 2022, 08:32:07 PM »
IMDB score are now probably more useless than they ever were with shows like She Hulk getting simultaneously bombed with hyperbolic positive and hyperbolic negative ones

And then there's like 60 guys in between who actually want to review the show  :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1007 on: August 18, 2022, 09:05:43 PM »
User-sourced content like reviews was a mistake
Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1008 on: August 19, 2022, 03:48:39 AM »
Seeing as they're 99% lames culture warring, and herbs who put in too much effort thinking people give a fuck what they think, I suspect you may be correct :doge
(ice)

Boredfrom

« Reply #1009 on: August 19, 2022, 05:00:47 AM »
So Vic Mignona finally lost the appeal. While I don’t exactly like KV either, IStandWithVic assholes acted like such a morons in an almost Trumptard level.

Thank god I don’t give a fuck about the English Dub scene, because I would despair just hearing about this drama: assholes with actual legal advice vs assholes with law grifters.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1010 on: August 19, 2022, 08:29:36 AM »
You know, Comedy

🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1011 on: August 19, 2022, 08:31:47 AM »
Yass queen
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2022, 08:40:35 AM »
You know, Comedy

It was kind of funny that within the same monologue where she complains about men mansplaining her field of expertise she mainsplains anger to Hulk, his literal field of experience. Cause you know he might kill an unthinkable number of people if he can't control his anger

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1013 on: August 19, 2022, 09:16:11 AM »
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1014 on: August 19, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
they have finally come for dan price

https://web.archive.org/web/20220818214005/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/technology/dan-price-resign-social-media.html

for years this guy's tweets have gone viral for being angelic and inclusive and an example of the right way to do things

constantly being upvoted and his detractors downvoted, because they were "just rumors spread by the alt-right who are trying to tear him down"

accusations against him always seemed credible and well-sourced but because he was saying the right words, throngs of people caped for him for free

:hhh
Uncle

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
Haven't WotC been like this for ages at this point. They'll probably end up going the same way as the comic industry.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
Gotta come up with a term for those types. Josses?

You know, Comedy

Think the sentiment is true and in theory it could be a good bit. But sometimes it feels writers who spend too much time on Twitter write lines for Twitter. As in, blunt and badly written. Haven’t seen that pacemaker show but I saw similar screen caps there.

There’s a bit in Doctor Strange 2 with Wanda comparing her actions to Strange’s. It was pretty good. Could be read in multiple ways. Attempting to reason with Strange. How men and women are treated differently. Her corrupted delusional state. Had it been in Twitter speak, it’d just be “I, a woman, am judged by society worse than you, Strange; a cis white male!”

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1017 on: August 19, 2022, 11:13:54 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/wrwf4p/lotr_first_look_at_aragorn_legolas_and_gimli_in/

Aragorn is black now. Time to break the Internet!

I imagine that has to be the intention because honestly no one would give a fuck if they announced some Lord of the rings cards.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1018 on: August 19, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »

You know, Comedy

Think the sentiment is true and in theory it could be a good bit. But sometimes it feels writers who spend too much time on Twitter write lines for Twitter. As in, blunt and badly written. Haven’t seen that pacemaker show but I saw similar screen caps there.

There’s a bit in Doctor Strange 2 with Wanda comparing her actions to Strange’s. It was pretty good. Could be read in multiple ways. Attempting to reason with Strange. How men and women are treated differently. Her corrupted delusional state. Had it been in Twitter speak, it’d just be “I, a woman, am judged by society worse than you, Strange; a cis white male!”
That 'sentiment' of her will probably end up being her entire character arc.
She likely won't evolve past that and she won't change her views or grow based on her experiences. Instead, they'll just keep repeating the same sentiment over and over while turning the He-Hulk into a comedic relief punching bag.
Even JRPG's have more character development than your average Disney movie or TV show these days. That's also why they've gotten so stale and boring. It's a shame that Mark Ruffalo's talent is wasted on contentTM like this.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1019 on: August 19, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »

You know, Comedy

There's basically no room for subtext because they want those twitter one liners

https://twitter.com/IMDb/status/1560367868352507905

That this comes off as weird when she's telling this to the guy who's been hunted all over the world by the government because of his angry split personality and even tried to commit suicide is ignored because it's all about getting out that tweet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:22:56 PM by HaughtyFrank »