Author Topic: Elon Bought Twitter- X GON GIVE IT TO YA  (Read 78971 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Muskrat to Buy Twitter. Time to Abandon it.
« Reply #1981 on: February 19, 2023, 02:22:15 PM »
Zuckerberg's avi is fucking terrifying :existential
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1982 on: February 19, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
I did not expect that someone would look at Twitter blue and think it's a great idea to copy

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1983 on: February 19, 2023, 10:16:00 PM »
Daddy musk charging people for a vector to be compromised

Amazing

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1984 on: February 22, 2023, 01:41:58 PM »
It’s remarkable to watch this march toward subscription plans on every service. No, thanks.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1985 on: February 22, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »
It’s remarkable to watch this march toward subscription plans on every service. No, thanks.

I can get you granddaddied on the bore + plan.

PM for details

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1986 on: February 22, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
The ad business is pretty much dead and selling user data leads to bad PR situations so the only way to make money from these platforms is subscriptions.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1987 on: February 22, 2023, 03:22:32 PM »
It's the ultimate consequence of the web being "free". Advertising has been a sustainable model because the barriers to entry were traditionally high in print, radio and television.
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1988 on: February 22, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »
Fuck ads, fuck advertising, and fuck all the advertisers behind them.  If everything goes to subscription because of the industry dying: Good.

I've long been convinced that advertising and marketing has done actual and substantial harm to human society as a whole, and nothing has yet convinced me otherwise.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1989 on: February 22, 2023, 07:51:25 PM »
I think advertising and marketing are fine when it comes to presenting and explaining your products and making yourself known to the world.
It went off track with the 'purpose' marketing and of course dark patterns, algorithms and psychology hacks.

Especially because all the checks and balances that were created for TV ads and other forms of ads were thrown out the window when things were done digitally.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1990 on: February 22, 2023, 07:59:30 PM »
Marketing is:
  • Product
  • Price
  • Place
  • Promotion
Too many people forget the first three and focus on the promotion part.

There's nothing wrong with understanding and working toward getting the right product into the right place at the right price. In fact, that part of the equation has been a net positive for humanity as it has led to a more efficient allocation of resources.

It's only when people pervert the promotion part with pressure selling or invasive promotional practices that take advantage of people. That's where regulation must come in and consumers given protected from unethical behaviours.
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1991 on: February 22, 2023, 08:35:09 PM »
Fuck ads, fuck advertising, and fuck all the advertisers behind them.  If everything goes to subscription because of the industry dying: Good.

I've long been convinced that advertising and marketing has done actual and substantial harm to human society as a whole, and nothing has yet convinced me otherwise.
Look into the attempts to quantify the value of it, especially online advertising.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1992 on: March 03, 2023, 06:05:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/TitterDaily/status/1631649437838635008

Elon's going to actually build that "Based AI" he tweeted about
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1993 on: March 04, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
He will train it on Nintex posts :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1995 on: March 07, 2023, 03:41:55 PM »
Nintex, next time you decide to side with the apartheid billionaire over Iceland's Man of the Year, maybe take a quick pause
:O

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

HaughtyFrank

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1999 on: March 07, 2023, 10:40:08 PM »
$100 million for a fucking design agency?

Kind of sums up why Twitter is such a basket case. What were they getting for that $100m?
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2001 on: March 08, 2023, 01:19:48 AM »
so he was trying to get fired so he can get paid lol

twitter prefers to keep him on and hope he dies before they have to pay him everything.

no wonder they have to layoff so many people. they got dudes like halli collecting fat checks and not having do any work because they can't fire him  :lol
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 02:25:42 AM by team filler »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Coax

« Reply #2003 on: March 08, 2023, 08:37:21 AM »
I don't get the Musk sycophants on Twitter eager to temper criticism with praise for whatever he does. Like... what do they hope to get from it, a small chance of a Musk re-tweet at most?

That Simpsons meme made sense when it was relating to Tesla fanboys but this feels as pathetic as users trying to suck up to forum mods.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #2004 on: March 08, 2023, 09:24:45 AM »
I don't get the Musk sycophants on Twitter eager to temper criticism with praise for whatever he does. Like... what do they hope to get from it, a small chance of a Musk re-tweet at most?

That Simpsons meme made sense when it was relating to Tesla fanboys but this feels as pathetic as users trying to suck up to forum mods.

You leave Joe out of it, he's basically the next Musk of the forum world.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2005 on: March 08, 2023, 09:29:03 AM »
Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet.

Said the owner of twitter  :dead

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2007 on: March 08, 2023, 11:00:46 PM »

oh thank god

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2008 on: March 08, 2023, 11:03:36 PM »

I agree, but I also feel it's dumb in the other direction. people who just blindly hate anything the guy does no matter what. it's not exactly the worst thing in the world to have a billionaire who isn't so old and out of touch, or a robotic dork like zuck. elon does understand the internet well enough and is often just being a troll. he also understands tech and invests in cool stuff and is most likely a good source of funding for a lot of tech people who praise him.

it does get a little much with all the "he's the new nikola tesla!"  :derp

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2009 on: March 09, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »
Anytime I see someone act like Elon is the Goebbels to Joanne's Hitler, I just kind of check out and assume anything they say is distinguished mentally-challenged.  It certainly makes talking with a couple of my friends (who cannot stand the guy) interesting.   :derp

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Kurt Russell

woke

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2013 on: March 22, 2023, 02:29:49 AM »
 :rejoice

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2014 on: March 22, 2023, 04:08:01 AM »
The only time anyone on the left cares about anti-Semitism is when they can use it as cudgel to bash someone on the right.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2015 on: March 22, 2023, 07:52:40 AM »
What a dumb fucking statement. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2016 on: March 22, 2023, 08:04:28 AM »
I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2017 on: March 22, 2023, 08:34:44 AM »
Ya, I'm not going to spend my time looking for evidence since, on the bases of that statement, any such evidence will just be written off as only done to bash someone on the right.  This thread in a nutshell 'LOL the left cares about hate speech online and thinks the sky is going to fall because Musk is taking over',  sees a graph of hate speech increasing 'LOL like the left actually cares about hate speech'.  And note this has nothing to do with the legitimacy of that graph, but with the reactions in this thread.  Instead of a comment on the content of the graph it is 'LOL like the left actually cares about anti-Semitism dur hur' with a Nintex like as a stamp of stupidity.  Sure, when all you see of 'the left' tweets from randos in the culture war thread about Isreal and you don't see anyone on the left explicitly denouncing anti-semantic -- because that is, you know, a special kind of bigotry that needs to be denounced specifically apart from any other kind of bigotry or else it's not a real denouncement --  then I can see how an idiot might conclude that people on the left do not care about anti-Semitism.  I don't remember you being this distinguished mentally-challenged a few years ago.  What happened to you?

edit:  Let me put this another way.  Because you don't care about hate speech, you dismiss 'the left' concern over it, and since it is not a valid concern, concern about hate speech does not count towards concern about anti-Semitism.  Then, having dismissed the left's concern over hate speech, you have the gall to make a post amounting to saying that you've never seen the left denounce anti-Semantism, at least when it wasn't just some performative act against the right, which just adds a whole other level of dumb to the statement, because the outcome of that kind of thinking is there will never be a denouncement of anti-Semitism that isn't just performative.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:54:50 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2018 on: March 22, 2023, 09:54:56 AM »
I guess I left the thought only half finished, so I'll finish it here.

"The left" is happy to wheel out the token Jew to say "don't be anti-Semitic" and then never mention them ever again, but then they are equally happy to straight-faced call Israel a terrorist state.

The same way "the right" is happy to say "support Israel", while happily being blatantly racist towards Jewish people on an individual basis.

My point is that neither side of the coin gives a fuck about Jewish people outside of what blows they can land in a culture war and, if I was a Jew, I'd be telling both groups to "get my people's name out your fucking mouth".

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, yes, I'm totally both sidesing it. No I don't care. This thread was a joke from the beginning and it's never been one for serious discussion hence my throwaway comment and snide response. Sue me.
[close]
Spud

james

« Reply #2019 on: March 22, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
My take is that jewish women are good (many have very large breasts) but jewish men are bad (those beards are nasty)

HaughtyFrank

benjipwns

« Reply #2021 on: March 23, 2023, 07:42:16 PM »
Exactly what the Nazis did.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #2022 on: March 23, 2023, 08:24:22 PM »

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

james

« Reply #2025 on: March 24, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »
Best idea he's ever had

benjipwns

« Reply #2026 on: March 29, 2023, 11:43:48 PM »
Commentary: If Twitter finally dies, where do we find the smart people?

For a decade, Twitter was the premier watering hole for the chattering classes. But where does everybody go if it dries up?
But the reality is we don’t have — and may never again have — another one-stop watering hole where many of the planet’s most interesting celebrities, politicians, activists, scientists, journalists, comedians and other assorted smart people will rub elbows with one another and also with you. Twitter, in its heyday, revealed that brilliant and well-informed people are everywhere, most of them aren’t famous, and sometimes they’d appear in your mentions in the dead of night. Sometimes you’d see talented people simply ruining themselves. There are surely books that don’t exist because smart people were tweeting so much instead of working. The service was lively, authentic and substantive enough to serve as a de facto assignment editor for working journalists — sometimes too often.

Now that peculiar experience is fading away. We’ll have to work harder to seek out the brilliant, for reasons that are more subtle than you’d think.
Like a lot of people, I post on social media in my free time to satisfy an admittedly mortifying existential desire for recognition. However, also like a lot of people, I have more dignity than to ever pay a single cent to Musk to publicly indulge that impulse. I’d rather hang out somewhere that actually wants to have people like me around. But where?

We’re getting something like two decades deep into our international social media experiment, and a lot of us aren’t satisfied with the results. Congress’ recent trashing of ultra-hot video app TikTok has been interestingly bipartisan, with critiques going beyond the company’s ties to China in ways that implicate all our major platforms. The very mass of the platforms themselves poses unusual systemic risks for our democracies, especially in terms of their ability to structure debate both online (through content moderation) and offline (through lobbying and political mobilization).

It was Twitter’s mass, its strong network effect, that made it such a valuable service for many years. Twitter was kind of like a Silicon Valley Bank for newsmakers and news followers; you could deposit almost all your time into Twitter knowing others like you were doing it too. And now that the place seems to be imploding, it seems like the systemic risks were a little bigger than we expected.

Consider how the world worked before Twitter’s creation in 2006. A lot of Americans lived in places that had well-staffed and profitable local newsrooms, magazines, radio stations and other independent media outlets that served as cultural and intellectual portals to the world, with the nascent internet giving a huge boost to the variety of your average consumer’s options. Survey data nonetheless showed more people reading a newspaper more often than getting news from the internet.

As much as we love newspapers and magazines around here, even your trusty L.A. Times writer knows consumption habits are far different now and won’t be going back, so there’s no point in getting sentimental about it. But the point is that a hypothetical world without Twitter in 2023 is far different from the world without Twitter in 2006 — we are now missing a whole middle layer of cultural institutions that helped provide the fiber for how we intellectually process the chaos of the world. Countless journalists who interrogated the political, cultural and social issues of the day no longer work in the industry, especially in suburban and rural communities. Many newspapers, magazines, alt-weeklies and other journals simply no longer exist; many more exist as mere shadows of themselves. Knowledge work has been deindustrializing itself from its geographic constraints and offshored to the internet, where the labor is cheaper and often free.

Now that labor is yours. If you’re leaving Twitter today, you are going to have to really sweat to find the same quantity and quality of thinkers who interest you. They might be secluding themselves on Instagram or LinkedIn, or experimenting with the visual anarchy of TikTok. They might have started a Substack and are charging a subscription rate that might have once bought you a whole magazine’s worth of writers. They could have started a podcast, though it’s possible their show might be on the chopping block. Maybe they’re on Mastodon, but, then again, maybe not. YouTube? Facebook? There’s only so much the New York Times op-ed page can say to us.
:hmm

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:era
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2027 on: March 30, 2023, 01:48:02 AM »
Imagine being such a fucking narcissist you think people on Twitter are the "smart people" just because you are on Twitter.

Has there ever been a bigger concentration of misinformation and anti-intellectual thought in human history than Twitter?
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2028 on: March 30, 2023, 03:37:06 PM »
they can come back to messageboards  :rejoice

james

benjipwns

« Reply #2030 on: March 31, 2023, 06:28:12 PM »
It should be a hard limit, only top 10,000 updated by the second. :money

HaughtyFrank

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2032 on: April 03, 2023, 05:44:53 PM »
...reported as news on twitter itself, where everyone has already seen it...
Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2033 on: April 03, 2023, 06:05:30 PM »
 :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2034 on: April 03, 2023, 07:28:13 PM »
Sold all my :doge because it surged 30%.

Thank you for bailing me out Elon
🤴

Maiden Voyage

• Junior

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2036 on: April 04, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »
Gonna need a source on this one, bud.

I saw it myself like an hour before it was posted here, I thought there might be some weird reason behind it like a google doodle but just shrugged

by the time the tweet was here I think it was changed back, it was very brief
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2037 on: April 04, 2023, 11:34:15 AM »
EPIC MEMEING
(ice)

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #2038 on: April 04, 2023, 11:35:28 AM »
Gonna need a source on this one, bud.

I saw it myself like an hour before it was posted here, I thought there might be some weird reason behind it like a google doodle but just shrugged

by the time the tweet was here I think it was changed back, it was very brief

Still there for me. I read that the Konami code makes the doge spin.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2039 on: April 07, 2023, 05:41:07 PM »