Author Topic: House of the Dragon · GRRM on HBO's Iron Throne, D&D banished North of The Wall  (Read 9225 times)

Tasty

Game of groans: why is House of the Dragon so dull?

The Guardian, watching the sublime dialogue and excellent acting on display so far:

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
House of the Drag-on.

Hire me, Guardian. :)

Bebpo

Or they could've titled the article Drag-on Dragon and just used this for the title image.

Bebpo

Ep5 had some really nice cinematography. That shot on the beach walking was :o
End bit was a bit long. Ep is 78 mins.

Anyhow, next ep preview & book spoiler:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finally getting the big timeskip. Wasn't sure if they were planning on putting old makeup on the main girls or recast since they survived the first timeskip, but yeah recast next ep. Will see if the new actresses can carry the roles as well as these two did since they're kind of the key characters going forward.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
That was easily my favorite episode until the last few minutes. First off, seeing two different locations at the beginning was great, and what I've been asking for. Didn't lord Daemon being involved (lol) in his wife's death. Just seems like they don't know what to do with the character and keep making decisions that may serve short term needs (more action, more fuckery etc) but are really gonna hurt down the line.

Driftmark looked nice and I liked the scene with the king, Corlys and his wife. If I have a complaint it would be that Laenor has only really been in a couple episodes. While I get not wanting to telegraph things, introducing him earlier would have made a lot of sense. The show is constantly bringing characters in, essentially asking viewers to give a shit about them but not really providing a reason beyond "well this person is on the board now."

Not to haggle, I did say I liked the episode a lot until the end. Most scenes were good, I liked how it flowed, etc. Loved the scene with Otto explaining shit to Alicent, followed by the shift in her character. And that scene in the godswood was even better.

Ok anyway...the issue I had. Perhaps the first big, defining moment of the Dance story is introduction of the greens and blacks. Alicent wearing her beautiful green dress, versus Rhaenryra wearing her beautiful black dress, and how their supporters began donning each woman's color as a show of allegiance. This of course was supposed to start in the previous ep, during the feast and games that followed Daemon presenting the Stepstones crown to Viserys. Instead they had Alicent don the dress during this episode, with no corresponding move from Rhaenyra, no alliances made etc. Just odd. It's such a defining moment and clearly an opportunity for the costume department to go all out. I did like Alicent's dress though, looked great.

But that isn't the egregious thing for me. Cole killing the gay dude was weird as fuck. I'm not a "but in the book.." guy BUT...this decision made zero sense and was confusing. I'd imagine people asking how/why, is Cole gonna be arrested etc etc. I get they clearly didn't want to have another big tourney scene, which is where Cole purposely fucks that guy up in the books. But surely another option was available. Maybe that dude gets drunk and insults Rhaenyra, resulting in Cole stepping in to defend her honor...a duel occurs and Cole wins. Boom. Easy to understand, flows with the feast far better, and you still get your violence quota.

Tasty

Aaaaand Hottest On-Screen Kiss of the Decade award goes to Laenor Valaryon :whew  :cruise :wow

*Google search*

*age unknown*

Shiiiiitttt hope I didn't just pull a james :existential
[close]

Bebpo

I do wonder if next ep is gonna kill the show.

I feel like Rhaenyra's actress has been carrying the show so far in terms of charisma and viewer attachment. Losing the show's best actress besides the king is gonna be tough for the back half. Initially I was on team recast, but at this point I think it sucks to lose her actress.

The new kids better be charismatic and interesting.
[close]

Tasty

I'm not a "but in the book.." guy BUT

Sorry PD but your book knowledge is tainting your enjoyment here I think. I had no problem making the logical connection for Cole merking that dude. Cole's all about honor and he's had that taken away, and then he had to confess the secret so he doesn't even have power over that anymore, and to top it off the Queen denied his deathwish. Dude was just looking for an excuse and some rando coming up to the best knight in Westeros and saying "yeah I'm straight up blackmailing you basically" would easily make him flip shit like that.

Same with the greens/blacks thing. Instead of debuting both parties at the same time and giving clear focus to neither, they gave the focus to Alicent, who hasn't had much of that so far. Combined with the Otto and Weirwood courtyard scenes this was clearly meant to be an Alicent-focused episode, and that was her crowning moment this ep.

Loved the episode, hard to choose a favorite. The timeskip next ep is really exciting to me, I really have no idea wtf is going to happen.

Edit- Also I believe Laenor's been in 3 out of the 5 episodes so far (the tourney in ep 1, the Stepstones in ep 3, and now in ep 5).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:38:49 AM by Tasty »

Tasty

I do wonder if next ep is gonna kill the show.

I feel like Rhaenyra's actress has been carrying the show so far in terms of charisma and viewer attachment. Losing the show's best actress besides the king is gonna be tough for the back half. Initially I was on team recast, but at this point I think it sucks to lose her actress.

The new kids better be charismatic and interesting.
[close]

Older Rhanaera was cast first and they worked backwards from that to find a child actor that looked similar enough. I have faith the new actor will be good, and if they're unlikable, then that's probably because the plot will make them unlikable and they were cast based on that.

Bebpo

Yeah, we'll see if it works. I just think if it doesn't transition well then maybe they should've timeskipped sooner so the audience didn't spend 5+ hours getting attached to a lead who vanishes. Normally when you have "back when they were kids" portion of a story with child actors, those portions tend to be pretty short specifically for that reason. They could've changed actresses at the first timeskip, but they didn't. Will be interesting to see how it plays out with the audience.

Tasty

I think when the full season is out the decision will make more sense.

Phoenix Dark

I think the transition will be fine but I'm not sure they've laid enough groundwork for other stuff. There have only been a couple scenes between Rhaenyra and Alicent since the marriage. Certainly would have been interesting to see them have a conversation after that (great) scene where Otto lays out the stakes to Alicent.

Piggybacking on Tasty's point I will say that my mom, who typically has to have everything explained to her, understood the Cole thing and liked it. I'm still not a fan of how it was done but I'd say if my mom thought it was clear/obvious then I am definitely wrong and you're right Tasty lol. Still...Harwin Strong was right there and they didn't establish his rivalry/fight with Cole. either My mom had no idea who he was, why he was the one who picked up Rhaenyra etc. I feel like this show struggles with the side/support characters in ways that GOT never did.

Also I've seen a pic of the actors who play Rhae's kids and...  :lol
They're straight up white lmao. Obviously in the books it's rumored that Harwin Strong is the father but assuming they try that storyline here, they put zero ground work into it.
[close]

I really liked Larys' scene in the godswood but wish he had been introduced earlier.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:16:41 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Bebpo

I didn't understand the Cole scene in terms of editing. Like it was very confusing when it cut from the two Targs close up and then a scream. Felt like it was missing a quick scene of what prompted that.

Tasty

The editing in this show is more interested in subtlety than leading people by the nose. Usually huge plot points are dropped right in the middle of "boring conversations," before a later scene in the episode blatantly shows it for the dum dums in the back. Laenor's sexuality was the most recent example of this, and there's been some really great but non-traditional (for mainstream TV) editing choices so far (the tourney in the first ep springs to mind).

I was expecting something to happen with Cole, dude just looked super on edge the whole party, and then when Gay Ginger started up a conversation it felt like it was building to something explosive soon. I thought it was cool not using the typical "God's eye" audience viewpoint, but being just as confused and powerless as the king and his consort were at the head of the hall. All they could do was stand by and ask questions and look confused. I think that was the point of the scene, that when real violence comes around the current royalty don't really know what to do.

Another cool script/editing/playing with expectations moment was that Vale guy confronting Daemon. I was 90% sure the fight I saw from the trailers would break out then. But no, sensible aristocrats act sensibly in this show -- what a relief! Hopefully no more of that S7/8 idiot juice gets passed around.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 04:11:35 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

One thing I was confused by was Alicent's turn.

Cole's confession basically refuted creepy dude's garden whisperings (she got the tea because she banged Cole, not Daemon as far as Alicent knew). She should have been back on #TeamRhaenyra at that point, unless that 2-minute conversation with her dad about Rhae killing her babies or whatever completely changed the outlook she's held her entire life. :thinking A scene which takes place before Cole's confession. :thinking

Alicent comes in ready for war with her former best friend and I'm really unsure why.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
For Alicent it's three things.

First Rhaenyra didn't just lie to Alicent, she lied to Viserys. And the king after meeting with Daemon who confessed or rather didn't deny, decided to cover for Rhaenyra at the expense of Otto (her father).

Second Alicent found out that it wasn't Daemon who could've possibly tricked and or raped drunk Rhaenyra. It was Ser Christan, the two of them kept it secret and he even says that she started it, not him.
Based on what happened to Daemon she knew that telling the king wouldn't end the wedding plans. And she was right as Rhaenyra had already reached an understanding with Laenor.
(Alicent doesn't know if the king knew it was Christan and Daemon was also banished to protect Rhaenyra. After all she finds out there's plenty of gossip about Rhaenyra's late night adventure)

Third, Alicent would've probably been willing to concede the throne to a Velaryon / Targaryen heir as long as she and her children would keep their place in court.
However, she finds out that the heir to replace her son might turn out to be a Cole instead. All her efforts and sacrifices upholding the traditions and rules for both her sake and the realm would've been in vain.
Rhaenyra would sit on a throne of lies.

All she knows is that Rhaenyra is capable of lying to her best friend and possibly her father and is willing to throw "anyone" under the bus to save her own skin.
Her father told her that if she didn't challenge Rhaenyra's claim all she could do was plead her case with the soon to be queen and pray for mercy but she knows that Rhaenyra can't be trusted.

I didn't understand the Cole scene in terms of editing. Like it was very confusing when it cut from the two Targs close up and then a scream. Felt like it was missing a quick scene of what prompted that.
Cole has a conversation with Rhaenyra on the boat. His idea was that it was only a matter of time before she would marry him (as her intention was to decide for herself) and not some random lord.
Rhaenyra says that it doesn't matter because she has agreed with Laenor that their marriage is only political and they can each pursue their own lovers.

Cole however takes great pride in being a member of the King's Guard and Rhaenyra's protector. He literally says that's all he has to his name. He's willing to give that up but only if it means building a life with Rhaenyra elsewhere. The prospect of being her toy boy doesn't sit well with him. He's quite torn about having broken his oath and then he finds out that others know and they can use it to have control over him and Rhaenyra.

So he decides the best solution is that he and Laenor's lover are both removed from the table. So Rhaenyra is protected from being blackmailed (after all he is her sworn protector) and he won't tarnish his name further.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:18:25 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Phoenix Dark

One thing I was confused by was Alicent's turn.

Cole's confession basically refuted creepy dude's garden whisperings (she got the tea because she banged Cole, not Daemon as far as Alicent knew). She should have been back on #TeamRhaenyra at that point, unless that 2-minute conversation with her dad about Rhae killing her babies or whatever completely changed the outlook she's held her entire life. :thinking A scene which takes place before Cole's confession. :thinking

Alicent comes in ready for war with her former best friend and I'm really unsure why.

This is why it's borderline criminal for them not to present at least one last Alicent and Rhae scene before the time jump. Even if it was during the feast. Something, anything.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Eh it's pretty simple why she'd start scheming, her son would become King if something were to happen to happen to Rhaenyra, who's claim to the throne is kinda tenuous anyway, like getting exposed as a dirty dirty whore in these ye olde sexist times :rollsafe
(ice)

Polident Hive

These dreamboat knights simply cannot handle celibacy.

Wanted to comment on this back in episode 2, but Mysaria’s accent and the poor ADR for it continues sticking out. The actress is good elsewhere and speaks in a typical brit accent. Guessing they asked her to copy Shae’s (actor’s) accent.

Phoenix Dark

Tasty

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
The whole confusion during the Cole fight seemed pretty intentional. I was honestly almost expecting a red wedding scenario with the way Alicent was behaving and it felt like they played with that by leaving it unclear who is actually fighting who

HaughtyFrank

Saw this trending on twitter

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/house-of-the-dragon-queer-problem

Always find it kind of weird that to put this responsibility on a show like this. Like Game of Thrones is not exactly where you go to see some Queer Joy. There are so many characters all around who meet a gruesome ends and while I can understand that it sticks out more when those queer characters are in the minority but I simply can't share the feeling that they somehow have it out for the queer ones.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:42:17 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Tasty

As a Gay, I found Leanor's portrayal to be quite good. Joffrey is eh but anyone in GoT with that name already has some problems lol.

Tasty

Clip from Episode 6
[close]

Fuck, I'm hype.

Tasty

Another one
[close]

It is a little weird half the season was one long extended flashback (minus the actual framing device) and it seems episode 6-10 is the "real" show, but I'm here for it. Don't know any real specifics but I feel like some shit's going to go down hard.

Potato

• Senior's Member
Not feeling the new actor for Rhaenrya. Looks nothing like the younger one.

My biggest complaint is that I don't know who the hell most of these characters are. They are doing a terrible job of reinforcing their names and relationships. As a result, I don't really care about any of them except Rhae and Daemon.
Spud

Tasty

Not feeling the new actor for Rhaenrya. Looks nothing like the younger one.

:thinking

They look really similar to me. :elon

Alicent's actress seems the most different. She speaks far quicker and her face is more distinct.

Potato

• Senior's Member
Younger has a massive underbite, older doesn't
Spud

Tasty

If that's the primary complaint with the show going forward, I'll be happy.

Polident Hive

To me, actor to actor, young Rhaenyra looks younger than young Alicent. Old Rhaenyra looks older than old Alicent. Just an observation.

Could be worse. Could be the Daario switch.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Cmon at least let us see the death of the king? No fucking way that rotting corpse held on another 10 years.

And now we might not see him die at all? We've been watching him crumble every episode... 🤣
What

Tasty

To me, actor to actor, young Rhaenyra looks younger than young Alicent. Old Rhaenyra looks older than old Alicent. Just an observation.

Could be worse. Could be the Daario switch.

Or The Mountain.

Tasty

Cmon at least let us see the death of the king? No fucking way that rotting corpse held on another 10 years.

And now we might not see him die at all? We've been watching him crumble every episode... 🤣

Maybe he told Mellos to go fuck himself and started listening to the younger maesters who kept suggesting alternative treatments they learned early in their training back in the Citadel.

And where is the Citadel located and who may Mellos have been receiving secret orders from this whole time? Hmmm... :thinking

Rahxephon91

The Daario switch pretty much ruined that entire arch of GoT.

Anyway, episode 5 was the best episode so far.

HaughtyFrank

I'd be very surprised if we don't get a least one more scene with the younger actors. Maybe to make a smooth transition that right away makes it clear they're supposed to be the same character

Phoenix Dark

I'm gonna have a problem if the next few episodes don't do a lot of heavy lifting on characterizations and character moments. Multiple characters who either had no scenes (Larys Strong) or very few (Laenor Velaryon, Harwin Strong) until the previous episode will now take center stage, in varying ways. I just think it's...not good to have so many characters who didn't get much of any characterization.

And I think the crux of this is we didn't get a sense that Rhae or Alicent were maneuvering until that last episode. If they had been playing "the game" earlier it would have opened up scenes for those characters - alongside Cole - who become supporters or detractors. Just seems like a writing crime not to have a Cole/Harwin scene. Or more scenes for Laenor. More for Larys, perhaps a scene with Otto and him scheming. Hell, more of the Sea Snake too.

Maybe the writers feel that viewers will feel strongly enough about Rhae and Alicent that the things that are coming will land as intended, emotionally and dramatically. We'll see.

Rahxephon91

The story just feels like cliff notes, so hard to be invested in other characters. Things are just happening and much of the cast lacks any development.

Honestly, they needed to take more liberties with it being an adaptation. This constant time-skipping was a poor choice on the writers.

Tasty

I'm on the other side of the fence. I'm so tired of shit never happening in most TV shows because it's constantly just cutting to "the next day." Like a glacier.

My complaint is I feel like we're getting an elongated setup before the real show, but I have no problem with the actual episode-to-episode pacing.

Rahxephon91

You could mostly have the same story hitting the same beats except for maybe Alicent's pregnancy without time skips.

You could then also develop characters that are clearly going to be important and make things feel more impactful.

GoT doesn't "cut to the next day". I dont even know what show does that. Neither is it big on telling you exactly how much time has passed. Things just flow and feel like they lead into each other. Which is not how I feel about House. Every episode feels like Im tuning into the next event. The next movie.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:50:54 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

It was a hyperbolic statement, mostly I mean shows where each episode takes place over the course of (about) a week. I've seen that a million times.

These timejumps feel fresh and new to me. But I'm a weirdo and my opinions clearly aren't shared among the rest of you guys.

Tasty

Speculation and possible spoilers

Larys could be a Greenseer?
[close]

:o :mindblown

Phoenix Dark

I'm on the other side of the fence. I'm so tired of shit never happening in most TV shows because it's constantly just cutting to "the next day." Like a glacier.

My complaint is I feel like we're getting an elongated setup before the real show, but I have no problem with the actual episode-to-episode pacing.

I can't argue with that. And also I think it's clear that most viewers are enjoying the show and its pacing. The last two episodes this season, and the things that will happen in subsequent seasons, will pay off the groundwork being laid right now. It's not a spoiler to say this is leading up to a war, or that said war is called the Dance Of Dragons. I think audiences have a general idea of what that probably means, and they're willing to wait because the early eps remind people of S1/S2 of GoT.

I'm not saying I think the next seasons will remind people of later-seasons GoT but from a spectacle perspective yes things are gonna pop off big time.

Tasty

I definitely think taking their time is the right call even if we don't get the biggest moments until later seasons. When the full series is done, season one will be fondly remembered, I'm betting.

Bebpo

Great episode. Feels like the show really starts this ep. Can't wait for S2.

Polident Hive

My ignorant perspective from the first episode: the most heroic good guy was the Dornish jouster. Could be how little you see of him. What little there was, he’s honorable-ish.

:camby

Having learned no lesson, I’m now for Harwin.

Bebpo

Which one's Harwin?

Phoenix Dark

Great episode and definitely hit many of the notes you'd expect in a great GoT episode circa S1-S4. That being said I do think I've been proven right about the time jump suffering due to not establishing characters that would later become important. We go from Harwin Strong having two interactions with Rhae - one of which wasn't even verbal  - to him becoming her lover and most trusted confidant. Harwin also has his first dialogue scene with his father in the ep. And then Larys becomes Littlefinger Corleone, after only having two previous scenes in the last episode. I just don't feel good about that from a narrative or writing perspective. Seems like for a show that has almost entirely been dialogue scenes, there could have been a couple scenes establishing these characters and relationships. Maybe a feast in honor of Lyonel when he became Hand, with both his sons attending and getting some dialogue in. Maybe a scene of Harwin and Cole interacting. I find this baffling.

Having read the books and knowing the story I'm not confused but like I said last week...a lot of people didn't even know who Harwin was.

Anyway I like that the political intrigue truly started for all parties in the ep. Too bad it was kind of kneecapped by the...diversity thing. I get it, it's a show and clearly the TV canon is different/there's no issue with that. But I just thought it was kind of laughable for them to present a story of questionable parentage based on kids who are obviously not Laenor's children. Certainly not for the successor of a show where the hair color of a king's heirs became a major plot point. Granted, not all Targaryen children have silver hair (see: Jon). And certainly not for a show that wants us to believe Rhae is serious about her claim to the throne. Yes in the books she has children who have a different hair color than silver but they're still fair skinned/white, making the issue more of a rumor than a loud yell everyone can see/hear. I def feel like this hurts the political angle.

Anyway...I don't want to make it sound like I didn't like the ep. I really liked it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
What a great episode. So many things happening  :whew
🤴

Phoenix Dark

Bebpo

I was pretty happy with the casting post-skip. I think Alicent is a little iffy in that now she feels more like the book Alicent but I don't think it transitioned that well. R-girl transition was better and that opening scene was an extremely good introduction to her adult version.

I like the kids casting. Aegon is perfect. He looks kind of like the main Stranger Things kid but he's not.

anyhow major book spoilers
I think they're doing a good job with Aegon being kind of a normal teenage kid brat, but not a jerk, since IIRC he needs to be kind of sympathetic in that none of this is his idea and he's just dragged into it.

I feel like one major change is the show is really heavily making Rhaenyra the main good person protaginist character that the audience is supposed to get behind and Alicent being the evil person antagonist. But I remember the book being a lot more grey and you're pretty much rooting against Rhaenyra by the end when the finale happens. Just expected the show to be more balanced between the two sides when it's doing everything it can to be heavily biased pro-Rhaenyra so far this season. Like it's Alicent's fault that the whole war starts, but they're both morally grey.
[close]

HaughtyFrank

I'd be very surprised if we don't get a least one more scene with the younger actors. Maybe to make a smooth transition that right away makes it clear they're supposed to be the same character

Well color me very surprised lol

I wonder how long it took people who didn't know about the upcoming actor switch to catch on, I feel like that could have perhaps been to a little more obvious. That said, the opening scene alone was super strong and wonderfully laid the stage for how far the conflict between the princess and Queen had progressed.

Phoenix Dark

I agree the first scene perfectly demonstrated the time jump, for multiple characters within a couple minutes without clumsy "it's been ten long years..." exposition.

Also it hasn't been discussed much anywhere but I thought the episode handled GRRM's take of prophesy better than any episode of Game Of Thrones. It was a quick scene but certainly worth mentioning, when Alicent was talking to Helaena Targaryen.

Tasty

"Prophecy will bite your dick off, every time."

Polident Hive

From what I’m reading, there’s going to be another time skip this season, with some new actors, before finally settling? Much of season 1 is essentially prologue to the real story?

Phoenix Dark

From what I’m reading, there’s going to be another time skip this season, with some new actors, before finally settling? Much of season 1 is essentially prologue to the real story?

Basically they have to get to a point where the children introduced in the episode are a bit older. Teenage years for each of them, and slightly older for Aegon II.

I do think this could be a problem given that a lot of monumental things happen with the children, all of whom are dragged into the drama by their mothers. Audiences won't really be given the time to "live" with the actors before they get aged up, if not next episode than the one after that.

Tasty

It's definitely a creative risk.

I like creative risks.

Potato

• Senior's Member
They should have started with this episode and done flashbacks. First four episodes seen pointless now.
Spud

Bebpo

They could've just started with where this season will end or next season starts. With the main cast and the main story starting.

I'm not going to fault them for wanting to give a season to introduce and develop these characters first though. I'm not sure if the story would work just jumping into the main timeline because shit pops off immediately and then it's just nonstop events. I think doing this season to do the character development stuff first will end up paying off in terms of audience attachment to the characters.

But it is a bit weird. Plus most of the good stuff doesn't actually start until next season so it's sorta a big teaser and then a year wait until S2. I think S1 finale is gonna be really good though.

Book spoilers for S1 finale
At this point I'm pretty sure the king dying and Alicent making her play and the war officially beginning is going to be the season finale. At first I thought they were gonna wait until S2 ep1 to start the war, but they're not going to do 9-10 hours of build up towards a clash and then just end the season and wait a year for that clash to begin.

So the finale should be really exciting and a big pay off for everything built up in the season. And will get people hooked for S2.

Can't wait.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

Flashbacks can be tricky if not handled well. I'm not opposed to starting the way they did, I just think the pacing and scenes should have been altered in order to prepare people better for the jumps. Flashbacks and a flurry/onslaught of new names and characters to remember may have been too much for television.

They could've just started with where this season will end or next season starts. With the main cast and the main story starting.

I'm not going to fault them for wanting to give a season to introduce and develop these characters first though. I'm not sure if the story would work just jumping into the main timeline because shit pops off immediately and then it's just nonstop events. I think doing this season to do the character development stuff first will end up paying off in terms of audience attachment to the characters.

But it is a bit weird. Plus most of the good stuff doesn't actually start until next season so it's sorta a big teaser and then a year wait until S2. I think S1 finale is gonna be really good though.

Book spoilers for S1 finale
At this point I'm pretty sure the king dying and Alicent making her play and the war officially beginning is going to be the season finale. At first I thought they were gonna wait until S2 ep1 to start the war, but they're not going to do 9-10 hours of build up towards a clash and then just end the season and wait a year for that clash to begin.

So the finale should be really exciting and a big pay off for everything built up in the season. And will get people hooked for S2.

Can't wait.
[close]

major spoilers watch out
The spoilers that floated around a year ago claimed that the season will end with Aemond killing Lucerys over Shipbreaker Bay, and Rhaenyra learning the news. Of course the problem with that is it means that within these next couple episodes there has to be another time jump and Aegon II has to get married to set up the Blood & Cheese thing early next season.

I think viewers like Rhae but besides sympathy for the character I'm not sure how much Lucerys' death will hit people. I think it'll instead be a "omg dragon fight cool" reaction from people. They've got to really make sure that when S2 starts, everyone is ready to go. Jacerys vowing to avenge his brother, Daemon marrying Rhae, etc.
[close]