Author Topic: House of the Dragon · GRRM on HBO's Iron Throne, D&D banished North of The Wall  (Read 9251 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1584726171337785344

Had no idea this was on the table, could be cool

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Assuming it's a prequel it could be good, and a chance to go in a different direction with the franchise. More of a fun adventure than super serious muh realm high stakes shit.
(ice)

Tasty

Rahxephon91

Eh while seasons 7-8 were weak. Seasons 1-4 of GoT are still amazing with 5 and 6 still pretty good. I know House is the new hot shit and they are very different shows, but I still much prefer GoT.

That said I guess I read the miscarriage scene differently. I saw it as a rejection of what her mother had said before. That marriage was their duty.  Rhaenyra wanted the baby out, it was as if it was getting in the way of her actual duty.

But it kind of also highlighted one of my problems as I also thought to myself "when did she get pregnant anyway".  Felt random.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
She got pregnant when Daemon fucked her  ???
What

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
She's been pregnant for the last couple eps iirc, didn't seem weird.

I agree GoT is better but that's largely because it had better, more rounded characters and Martin's dialogue is heavily included in S1-S4. The last few eps of HOTD showed potential to surpass GoT. At this point Otto, Aemond, Daemon, Rhae, etc are all well fleshed out characters. Jace is being fleshed out, and some great characters are coming in S2. In short, they have a steady cast of main+side characters now. How they're juggled will determine whether S2 hits its potential or not. For instance it would be a crime to not prominently feature Aemond in the opening episode of S2, not only for reactions from the greens but preparations for full blown war. Likewise Jace has to be prominently featured and I assume he will learn of his brother's death while he's in Winterfell negotiating with Cregan Stark.

MMaRsu

• Administrator

I made a YT short!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:28:16 AM by MMaRsu »
What

HaughtyFrank

HBO and HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys says the popular Game of Thrones prequel series likely will return for Season 2 "sometime in '24," telling Vulture, "We're just starting to put the plan together, and just like last time, there are so many unknowns. It's not to be coy or secretive, but you don't want to say it's going to be ready on this date, and then you have to move it."

On one point, though, Bloys seems fairly firm: "Don't expect it in 2023."

https://tvline.com/2022/10/27/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-release-date-hbo-2024/

:existential :walkaway

Rahxephon91

Well obviously, but when? When was the child conceived? She wasn't showing at all..

Was it during the episode they had sex as adults? Couldn't be, that was 6 years ago.

Yes, I get that no doubt they have had plenty of sex and it could have happened anytime. But that conception wasn't presented in the show. My point is it felt even more convenient to happen right when important stuff is happening. It felt even more contrived in the writing because there was no build-up at all for her being pregnant.

Make no mistake though, I enjoyed the show and can't wait for season 2.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:23:29 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Potato

• Senior's Member
Show was good, but there were definitely problems and cracks that got papered over because it was fun. Pacing was terrible, time jumps were jarring, there was a lot of "fast travel" around the map with no sense of time passing, a bunch of characters came and went without any fanfare even though the events they were involved in were important. One of the biggest problems is I hardly know anyone's name on the show. Like, they're all "that guy", "dragon girl", white haired girl who suicided by dragon".
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Its a cool short tho right? 🙁 Nobody liked it 😥
What

HaughtyFrank

Well obviously, but when? When was the child conceived? She wasn't showing at all..

Was it during the episode they had sex as adults? Couldn't be, that was 6 years ago.

Yes, I get that no doubt they have had plenty of sex and it could have happened anytime. But that conception wasn't presented in the show. My point is it felt even more convenient to happen right when important stuff is happening. It felt even more contrived in the writing because there was no build-up at all for her being pregnant.

Make no mistake though, I enjoyed the show and can't wait for season 2.

I'm too lazy to check but I could swear she mentioned that she was pregnant when she met her father at his bedside.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:05:55 PM by HaughtyFrank »

HaughtyFrank

Its a cool short tho right? 🙁 Nobody liked it 😥

It gave me a chuckle so have your like mister
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:22:06 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Phoenix Dark

Spoke with a couple people who purposely waited for the show to end, and based their decision to watch it off of reactions from their trusted friends. And they're loving it so far. Really seems like between the ratings and word of mouth, the show repaired GoT's image super quickly. S2 will be bigger in the sense that its budget will (presumably) increase, more locations etc but I expect it to remain grounded in that S1-4 way. Dialogue driven, not too many dumb set pieces, logic, etc. I felt like the show kinda reached for that "episode 9" moment this time but even that was forgiven/forgotten after the strength of the final episode.

I've said it a few times but man...if they nail the casting for Cregan Stark it's really gonna take another step up.

Tasty

Kit Harington Says Jon Snow Is Having a Really Bad Time, Actually

“At the end of the show when we find him in that cell, he’s preparing to be beheaded and he wants to be,” Harington explained. “He’s done. The fact he goes to the Wall is the greatest gift and also the greatest curse... He’s got to go back up to the place with all this history and live out his life thinking about how he killed Dany, and live out his life thinking about Ygritte dying in his arms, and live out his life thinking about how he hung Olly, and live out his life thinking about all of this trauma, and that, that’s interesting.”
and that, that’s interesting.”

...is it? :thinking

Potato

• Senior's Member
A show about John Snow seems like the least interesting thing they could do with the source material.
Spud

Borealis

Would really love for the GOT and Naomi Watt's Long Night pilots to be released one day.

HaughtyFrank

Kit Harington Says Jon Snow Is Having a Really Bad Time, Actually

“At the end of the show when we find him in that cell, he’s preparing to be beheaded and he wants to be,” Harington explained. “He’s done. The fact he goes to the Wall is the greatest gift and also the greatest curse... He’s got to go back up to the place with all this history and live out his life thinking about how he killed Dany, and live out his life thinking about Ygritte dying in his arms, and live out his life thinking about how he hung Olly, and live out his life thinking about all of this trauma, and that, that’s interesting.”
and that, that’s interesting.”

...is it? :thinking

Jon Snow beyond the wall

Tasty

Would really love for the GOT and Naomi Watt's Long Night pilots to be released one day.

They're in the WB vault next to Batgirl.

That's said, Dick Donner got his footage released after like 30 years so there is precedent if you're willing to wait a while.

Tasty

George R.R. Martin reveals Winds of Winter details to House of the Dragon boss

“He’s told me things that have, not a direct connection [to House of the Dragon], but when he’s explaining mythologies and things like that, he’ll just casually mention things,” Condal said. “It’s so cool but it’s like, ‘Ah! I  just want to read the book.’ So I’m very much looking forward to that as a fan, and I’m a fan of his too. I’m really rooting for him and I want him to get, as he calls it, the monkey off his back.”

“It’s cool because I still get to be a fan… I’m as excited for the Winds of Winter as everybody in that room,” Condal told convention goers. “I know some things because George just mentions things at times.”

This shit might actually hit next year.

Lol at Dream coming out tho...

Phoenix Dark

He recently said something along the lines of being 500 or so pages from the end. Manuscript pages, not printed novel pages. Meh. I'm not sure I buy it will come out in the next two years at this point. I think he's completely stuck and won't admit that he has too much material and won't listen to his editor.

BrokenVerses

He blew up the story with the last two books and his garden became a jungle. RIP.

Phoenix Dark

Henry Cavill officially out as Superman. Make the call HBO. Cregan Stark tha gawd
 :preach