Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5489382 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Weekly Trump Scandal Hot Takes
« Reply #6600 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Comey, more like Cumy.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #6603 on: June 07, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
Clapper is the guy who lied to congress about the NSA spying on its own citizens. Lying is what he's best known for in a historical sense.

agrajag

« Reply #6604 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »
No hookers, and I am totally not into water sports

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6605 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
He then said, “I need loyalty.”  I replied, “You will always get honesty from me.”  He paused and then said, “That’s what I want, honest loyalty.”

:larry
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6606 on: June 07, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
He said he would do that and added, “Because I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.” I did not reply or ask him what he meant by “that thing.”

rub

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6607 on: June 07, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »
GAF is freaking out that nothing will come of this, but it's undeniably going to, at the very least, throw even more negative attention on Trump.  The end goal shouldn't be impeachment, although he should be impeached.  The end goal is 2018.
püp

FStop7

« Reply #6608 on: June 07, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
GAF is freaking out that nothing will come of this, but it's undeniably going to, at the very least, throw even more negative attention on Trump.  The end goal shouldn't be impeachment, although he should be impeached.  The end goal is 2018.

that's a change

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6609 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
I would expect, at best, Comey to confirm the meeting with Trump and that he confided with his direct superior Sessions about worries he might have had (basically what the press reported). All those people are career public high servants, it's beaten into them to respect and protect the institution and process to the maximum extent. They will, rightly, retreat behind the fact an investigation is ongoing.

I think a lot of people are expecting some sort of smoking gun that probably doesn't exist.

Edit : late on the news cycle, Comey pretty much confirms the content if his meetings with Trump in the opening statement put online.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:43:15 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nola

« Reply #6610 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
What were people expecting honestly?

Comey was never going to divulge any major points of the ongoing investigation. That seemed pretty clear when he paused his testimony and then met with Mueller to cross reference and run things by him. Everything was going to be centered around verifying the already leaked notes and adding any context. Looking at the question of obstruction of justice.

The testimony confirms that the "Fake News" Washington Post and  the"FAILING NYTimes," with their "anonymous sources" weren't bullshitting. The meetings happened. In addition to two subsequent phone calls by Trump. Where Trump asked for personal loyalty and/or tried to lean into Comey to drop the investigation. That Comey not only took notes but he immediately briefed his FBI team about the incidents. Probably adding a layer of coverage and authenticity to his accounts. Meaning as long as the story didn't change, it will be hard for Trump and the administration to spin this except for playing the "Trump is ignorant" card that I saw briefly used....I guess as a side note it also proves Trump was bluffing with his "TAPES" threat.

Comey did make it clear Trump is not the subject of the investigation at the time he said it, but didn't say he was clear of any wrongdoing, just that the investigation wasn't looking into him personally. He made a point in the paper that they didn't ever want to say that publicly he wasn't a subject because that could change and then would require them to correct it publicly as well.  Comey also doesn't say that remains the case today.

This paragraph was interesting:
During the dinner, the President returned to the salacious material I had briefed him about on January 6, and, as he had done previously, expressed his disgust for the allegations and strongly denied them. He said he was considering ordering me to investigate the alleged incident to prove it didn’t happen. I replied that he should give that careful thought because it might create a narrative that we were investigating him personally, which we weren’t, and because it was very difficult to prove a negative. He said he would think about it and asked me to think about it.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6611 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
I would expect, at best, Comey to confirm the meeting with Trump and that he confided with his direct superior Sessions about worries he might have had (basically what the press reported). All those people are career public high servants, it's beaten into them to respect and protect the institution and process to the maximum extent. They will, rightly, retreat behind the fact an investigation is ongoing.

I think a lot of people are expecting some sort of smoking gun that probably doesn't exist.
:girlaff
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6612 on: June 07, 2017, 04:44:45 PM »
Wasn't talking about Sessions obviously.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6613 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »
I hope senators confirm with Comey that he tried to hide in the White House curtains.
ὕβρις

FStop7

« Reply #6614 on: June 07, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
If we're going to live in an authoritarian, dystopian future then I want use of the word "nothingburger" to be punishable by immediate death, no trial.

Nola

« Reply #6615 on: June 07, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
Honestly, I feel like more notable things happened in the Intel hearings then the Comey written statement, which largely just confirmed earlier reports:

Two of the nation’s top intelligence officials declined in a testy hearing Wednesday to discuss the specifics of private conversations with President Trump, refusing to say whether they had been asked to push back against an FBI probe into possible coordination between Trump’s campaign and the Russian government.

Testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats demurred when asked whether it was true, as The Washington Post reported Tuesday, that Trump asked Coats if he could intervene with then-FBI Director James B. Comey to get him to back off the bureau’s focus on Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser.

“I don’t believe it’s appropriate for me to address that in a public session,’’ Coats said. “I don’t think this is the appropriate venue to do this in.’’

Both Rogers and Coats refuse to deny the conversations happened, they just refuse to speak about them publicly. Saying only that they "didn't feel pressured" to act that way. Which likely means there are two more people Trump asked to push back on the Flynn investigation and it is likely just time and mounting evidence for those two to go on record.

McCabe said he did not want to address conversations between Comey and Trump because “those matters also begin to fall within the scope of issues being investigated by the special counsel” — a strong hint that the investigation may expand to cover potential criminal attempts by the president to impede its course.

The acting director of the FBI also clarified a key point from an earlier congressional appearance, in which he had said there had been no effort to slow or interfere with the Russia probe. What he meant, McCabe said, was that the firing of Comey had not stalled the investigation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-director-rogers-and-intelligence-director-coats-said-they-wont-discuss-specifics-of-private-conversations-with-trump/2017/06/07/e74f7fbe-4b88-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_senate-1120a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Also interesting. Since the latter is something the right had been pushing as a defense of Trump and the obstruction angle. Though it is a bit annoying reading Democratic politicians and pundits making this all about those two and McCabe/Rosenstein not being forthcoming. Comes off like they are missing the forest for the trees and just being reactionary to be reactionary. At least with the last two.

agrajag

« Reply #6616 on: June 08, 2017, 02:18:06 AM »
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/6/5/1669100/-NSA-Director-Mike-Rogers-poised-to-drop-a-bomb-on-Trump-admin-during-Wednesday-testimony

LOL, hopeful Libs.

Coats was a former Republican Senator. He's likely a partisan and Rogers might be compromised as well. I think you guys are putting too much faith in their integrity.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6617 on: June 08, 2017, 02:33:25 AM »
It's pretty well established that 90 some odd % of Rs with an active position of power are completely in line with the current dumpster fire of an admin.
Hi

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6618 on: June 08, 2017, 04:34:38 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/kathy-griffin-enlists-celeb-lawyer-respond-bullying-trump/story?id=47781843

Kathy Griffin enlists celeb lawyer to respond to 'bullying from the Trump family she has endured'

:lol

etiolate

« Reply #6619 on: June 08, 2017, 04:39:18 AM »
Repubs only like Trump because he beat the Clintons. Many of them would gladly oust him and work under Pence.

agrajag

« Reply #6620 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
They've had many chances to push Trump off a cliff, yet here we are.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6621 on: June 08, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
They don't want to have to explain their traitorous actions to their patriot constituents who voted for our Everyman president.
rub

archnemesis

« Reply #6622 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
at what hour is the testimony?
It's in 90 minutes (according to the guy next to me at work).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6623 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
They don't want to have to explain their traitorous actions to their patriot constituents who voted for our Everyman president.

Whatever all those flyover states were that actually put Trump in office, you're right; the republicans were caught by surprise by this, and don't know how to address that group. It took an incoherent narcissist to speak their language.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6624 on: June 08, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »

Whatever all those flyover states were that actually put Trump in office, you're right; the republicans were caught by surprise by this, and don't know how to address that group. It took an incoherent narcissist to speak their language.

buttery males
buttery males
rub

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6625 on: June 08, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
Comey is testifying, tweets from Trump: 0. Low energy, sad.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6626 on: June 08, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
Don Jr. is tweeting, tho.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/872830442344415232

"The former FBI head is ripping my dad on live TV and accusing him maybe committing crimes. *laughing till crying emoji*"

So this is how the other half lives?  :snob
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #6627 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
Wow, Comey comes kinda spineless in the way he interacted with Trump. Rubio and republicans are building a case for Trump just being a well-intentioned n00b and Comey not making the boundaries between his agency and the president clear.

archie4208

« Reply #6628 on: June 08, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
Don Jr. is tweeting, tho.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/872830442344415232

"The former FBI head is ripping my dad on live TV and accusing him maybe committing crimes. *laughing till crying emoji*"

So this is how the other half lives?  :snob

It just shows the rich and powerful are down to earth shitposters just like us.   :jawalrus

agrajag

« Reply #6629 on: June 08, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Wait, so Donald Trump Jr. is admitting that his daddy was trying to get the FBI director to break procedure and law? :lol

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #6630 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Wow, Comey comes kinda spineless in the way he interacted with Trump. Rubio and republicans are building a case for Trump just being a well-intentioned n00b and Comey not making the boundaries between his agency and the president clear.
"The president is an idiot" isn't a very strong defense.
vin

agrajag

« Reply #6631 on: June 08, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
"The president is an idiot" isn't a very strong defense.

But it gives him wiggle room/excuse not to turn on Trump, which is what they don't want to do.

Nola

« Reply #6632 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/6/5/1669100/-NSA-Director-Mike-Rogers-poised-to-drop-a-bomb-on-Trump-admin-during-Wednesday-testimony

LOL, hopeful Libs.

Coats was a former Republican Senator. He's likely a partisan and Rogers might be compromised as well. I think you guys are putting too much faith in their integrity.

They already cooperated. 

They aren't denying Trump asked them to push back against the Flynn investigation.

That adds another 2 incidents of Trump attempting to obstruct the investigation.

FStop7

« Reply #6633 on: June 08, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
Haven't been watching.  What kind of burger are we looking at, so far?

agrajag

« Reply #6634 on: June 08, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
Of course they didn't deny it! If they did, they would be lying under oath. That they refused to cooperate and comply with rhe requests of the committee that oversees their agencies despite Muller not giving them the direction to do so and no executive privilege invoked is very telling. That and that they made sure to characterize their feelings over not being pressured at any point to do anything illegal, inappropriate, unethical, etc.

agrajag

« Reply #6635 on: June 08, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
In addition, senators King, Wyden etc. would disagree with you that Coats and Rogers cooperated. They refused to answer the questions that were asked and we still don't know  if they did in a closed setting. Don't you think that if Muller thought that them answering the question in an open hearing would hurt the investigation, he would have talked to them about it?

Comey repeatedly stated that the IC mo is not to confirm or deny press reports even if they are false. So them not shooting it down is meaningless. Simply put, if anyone watched the hearing and saw those two men squirming and walked away with the impression that they were acting in good faith, I've got a bridge to sell ya.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:30:38 PM by agrajag »

FStop7

« Reply #6636 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
You can't be compelled to answer when testifying to Congress?  If not then they (the IC leadership from yesterday) need to be compelled to answer before a judge.  Behind closed doors, if necessary.  No more games.

Oh god, McCain's up from his nap.

Nola

« Reply #6637 on: June 08, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »
Of course they didn't deny it! If they did, they would be lying under oath. That they refused to cooperate and comply with rhe requests of the committee that oversees their agencies despite Muller not giving them the direction to do so and no executive privilege invoked is very telling. That and that they made sure to characterize their feelings over not being pressured at any point to do anything illegal, inappropriate, unethical, etc.

I am coming from the angle that ultimately, the main thing that is going to do in Trump will be built around obstruction....If it ever gets to that place. I think liberals are getting a bit too fantastical with a lot of this to begin with.

But impeachment is so broad and open-ended and the obstruction angle so publicly visible that it seems the charge, if it is ever made, will hinge heavily on that. So while them admitting to it being "pressure" would of been much bigger, just the existence and likely eventual acknowledgment of those asks improves that case.

But of course Coats and Rogers are obviously carrying water for Trump right now. And probably will continue to. And because of that, I find it odd that if those conversations didn't happen, that they wouldn't take the chance to drive in the knife on their falsity.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:36:24 PM by Nola »

Steve Contra

« Reply #6638 on: June 08, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »
These guys and the emails :lol
vin

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #6639 on: June 08, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
Fuck John McCain

Steve Contra

« Reply #6640 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Dude needs to retire. This is embarrassing.
vin

agrajag

« Reply #6641 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »

I am coming from the angle that ultimately, the main thing that is going to do in Trump will be built around obstruction....If it ever gets to that place. I think liberals are getting a bit too fantastical with a lot of this to begin with.

But impeachment is so broad and open-ended and the obstruction angle so publicly visible that it seems the charge, if it is ever made, will hinge heavily on that. So while them admitting to it being "pressure" would of been much bigger, just the existence and likely eventual acknowledgment of those asks improves that case.

But of course Coats and Rogers are obvious carrying water for Trump right now. And probably will continue to. And because of that, I find it odd that if those conversations didn't happen, that they wouldn't take the chance to drive in the knife on their falsity.

True, but was there any doubt that the conversation didn't happen? We just needed confirmation, and we didn't get it. They couldn't deny it because then they'd be committing a crime, but they resisted confirming as much as humanly possible given their situation. That's all I'm saying.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6642 on: June 08, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
McCain is seriously senile.  Like what the hell was that illogical ramble.  also 'president Comey'   :lol 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6643 on: June 08, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
Haven't been watching.  What kind of burger are we looking at, so far?

Probably a veggie burger. There's something to it, but probably not enough to leave you satisfied.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6644 on: June 08, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Just so I understand, they collaborate on the questions before hand and know the order of questions beforehand, so ending in McCain trying to connect Hillary to this in a very misleading way was on purpose correct?

agrajag

« Reply #6645 on: June 08, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Just saw the McCain thing. Did he just have a stroke on live TV?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6646 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Just saw the McCain thing. Did he just have a stroke on live TV?

"...Fake news...as you said...big deal...took place."
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6647 on: June 08, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »
Also, I didn't really ever want to hear John McCain say "intensely aroused".  :doge
©@©™

FStop7

« Reply #6648 on: June 08, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6649 on: June 08, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Can we count this as a nothingburger, FStop?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
With a side of old, nasty Arizona pinto beans. :yuck
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6650 on: June 08, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
Nadataco ?
ὕβρις

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6651 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
Wonder what happens now
püp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #6652 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »

Fuck John McCain

Nola

« Reply #6653 on: June 08, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
My guess....

Trump team spins it. Trump makes some dumb tweets when the adults give his phone back.

GOP continues to be complicit and insincere in their investigations.

Trump doesn't ever get his big legislative victory this year.

Investigation probably continues on for years with occasional leaks while Trump continues to do questionable things that make no sense like handing back Russian compounds seized by the last administration.

Etoilet continues to spray L's on everyone's faces.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6654 on: June 08, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
John McCain is really one of the most flip floppy undependable people in US political history. I have no idea how that guy gets votes.
rub

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6655 on: June 08, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
My guess....

Trump team spins it. Trump makes some dumb tweets when the adults give his phone back.

GOP continues to be complicit and insincere in their investigations.

Trump doesn't ever get his big legislative victory this year.

Investigation probably continues on for years with occasional leaks while Trump continues to do questionable things that make no sense like handing back Russian compounds seized by the last administration.

Etoilet continues to spray L's on everyone's faces.

Welcome to the next 3 1/2 years, check your brain at the door.
©@©™

Nola

« Reply #6656 on: June 08, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
I guess I missed one:

Trump shows he can pay people a lot of money to be just as incompetent as he is.

Quote from: Trump's $1500 an hour lawyer
Although Mr. Comey testified he only leaked the memos in response to a tweet, the public record reveals that the New York Times was quoting from these memos the day before the referenced tweet, which belies Mr. Comey’s excuse for this unauthorized disclosure of privileged information and appears to entirely retaliatory. We will leave it the appropriate authorities to determine whether this leaks should be investigated along with all those others being investigated.

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872880038202486792

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6657 on: June 08, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
Who's been leaking info to The Onion? :maf

©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6658 on: June 08, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »
Quote from: John McCain
I get the sense from Twitter that...
He should explain himself after that shitshow but jesus christ, don't release a statement based on "the sense from twitter". Fuck the 21st Century.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just trying to imagine great historical figures replying to random twitter noise on Twitter.  :lol

Quote from: Napoleon Bonaparte@EmpereurdesFrançais
(1)I get the sense from Twitter some think I shouldn't invade Russia this winter.
Quote from: Napoleon Bonaparte@EmpereurdesFrançais
(2)(Image removed from quote.)
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6659 on: June 08, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
Meanwhile...

Key GOP centrists open to ending Medicaid expansion

Abortion restrictions threaten Senate GOP’s Obamacare repeal push

A lot of hopes for the healthcare bill crashing are based on "moderate" Republicans caring about how it affects their constituents, and on the GOP feeling bound by previous norms about the reconciliation process and the Senate parliamentarian.

I wouldn't exactly bet my life on either of those.