Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 848823 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5040 on: April 25, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
Am not liking Renew Your Vows anywhere near as much post time skip.  The artist they brought on also kinda sucks.   :-\

Old Man Logan: OH SHIT Mariko was resurrected by the Hand!  OH SHIT she got injected with nanomites that disabled their mind control!  OH SHIT she's helping Logan kick Hand ass!  OH SHIT Mariko being back is huge for the character and OH SHIT she decides to go off and do whatever after a couple of issues and that's it. 
:dead
ど助平

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #5041 on: April 25, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »
Yeah, Renew Your Vows was a lot better before the time skip, IMO. I don't even understand whats up with Normie Osborn either. Before the time skip, he was said to be on a clear path towards being evil, but now he's a good teenage kid with a crush on Spider-Girl? Or whatever she ends up calling herself?

They had a chance to write in some really sweet slice-of-life style stories to contrast against all the typical superhero comic book action you'd expect, but with the time skip, they guaranteed that they won't do that in favor of focusing on Annie and her teenage adventures. Thats what the book has been since the skip and I doubt it'll go back. Really sucks. They ruined the dynamic that made it interesting apparently because everyone who writes comics not named Tomasi and Gleason can't possibly fathom how to write a family-centered comic with young kids in it. So they said, 'fuck it, let's write more comics about teenage angst and drama'.

I still like Old Man Logan, even though they're clearly running out of steam creatively. Overall, I like Wolverine as a broken old man/Clint Eastwood archetype than the usual angry berserker murder machine.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5042 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:57 AM »
in celebration of Action Comics #1000, let's go back 400 issues when Superman had a...different vibe about himself:

kingv

« Reply #5043 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:44 AM »
Action comics 1000 was a total waste of my time, fyi.

I don't think I particularly liked any of the stories. The bendis one left me not at all interested in seeing waht's next as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5044 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »
Action comics 1000 was a total waste of my time, fyi.

I don't think I particularly liked any of the stories. The bendis one left me not at all interested in seeing waht's next as well.

A BIG UGLY ALIEN GUY WAS HIRED TO DESTROY KRYPTON PLOT TWIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:snore :boring
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5045 on: April 26, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
The Hunt For Wolverine #1: Marvel finally gets to Wolverine being back in the Marvel Universe, after we saw him pop up with an infinite stone and make a few cameos here and there in some books, following Secret Empire months ago.  The impact here would have been greater if they hadn't already revealed that he was back, but there's still a surprise here...sort of. 

Wolverine died after being encased in adamantium.  The X-Men took his body and put it in a "memorial" up in a cabin in the frozen north.  This book follows X-Men baddies The Reavers, who intend to steal the body and sell it off to the highest bidder.  Some X-Men are alerted and turn up to stop them.  During the fight, the Reavers decide to cut Wolverine's body out of the adamantium casing.  And then we get THE BIG SURPRISE.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It turns out that Kitty Pryde phased his body out of the shell after he died and they gave him a proper burial in an undisclosed location.  So when the Reavers cut open the metal shell...there's nobody in there and they're utterly defeated. Kitty goes to his grave and thinks something is wrong, so she phases into the ground and finds the grave empty.  Later on in the book we then get a scene of Wolverine all in black (like Superman when he returned from the dead after the whole Doomsday thing  :doge) killing some dude and constantly popping his claws which are all bloodied.  He appears to be inside a prison cell.  Makes no sense since he was running around before this comic came out.
[close]

Then there's a second story, which is just setting up for all the little mini-series spinning out of this.  Kitty recruits various superheroes to help go search for Logan, AKA BUY MORE COMICS AND GIVE US MONEY!

I still like Old Man Logan, even though they're clearly running out of steam creatively. Overall, I like Wolverine as a broken old man/Clint Eastwood archetype than the usual angry berserker murder machine.

I caught up on all the issues and he just keeps getting more and more fucked up.  Missing adamantium on set of claws and left after the latest story with injuries and a fucked-up eye.  I wonder if they are planning to keep him around or if he's gonna get killed off or go back to his 'world' now that O.G. Wolverine is back.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5046 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
Batman #46
[close]
meow

benjipwns

« Reply #5047 on: May 02, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »
it'll never work

at least not without a whole bunch of leather

benjipwns

« Reply #5048 on: May 02, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
the Joker story in DC Nation is a little more standard Tom King

it's also the start of his first true Joker story which is supposed to be the start of the second half of his run

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5049 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
I dont mind that Tom King is smearing his shit on the walls for this arc, I mean that's the point of these mini arcs, he can do whatever in 2 - 4 comics.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5050 on: May 11, 2018, 01:33:34 AM »
JL#1 Variant
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5051 on: May 11, 2018, 02:39:51 AM »
BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT #8
Beautiful champ, I grew a bit distrustful of this comic in the middle, but the start and end is solid stuff. 8/10 would recommend.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:09:50 AM by Momo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5052 on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT #DONE
BATMAN #45 16/5
MISTER MIRACLE #8 6/6
DOOMSDAY CLOCK Who cares, whatever

I'm going to need 3 more books friends, I'm done with Doomsday, Metal and WK so i have spots to fill

benjipwns

« Reply #5053 on: May 11, 2018, 03:54:56 AM »
do you want ongoing series or just anything? i quite like the entire Young Animal line and i was ready to shit all over it, especially Gerard Way's Doom Patrol....East of West is my favorite on-going, inconsistently published, wondering if it's lost the plot, indie series since Rucka totally lost the plot on Lazarus due to Trump...i've also become more positive about The Wild Storm, but i do wonder if it makes sense to anyone not already familiar with what it's "rebooting"...actually Doom Patrol being a direct sequel to Morrison's version and not all other iterations probably would have that problem except nobody reads Doom Patrol outside of Morrison's run...it'd be like talking about Swamp Thing outside of Alan Moore's run even though there's been a lot of fun with that character done post-Moore, including in the New 52 version started by Snyder

speaking of Snyder, the justice league: no justice thing from the METAL/ETERNAL team (Snyder/Tynion IV/Williamson) started this week

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5054 on: May 11, 2018, 04:11:00 AM »
I need ongoings really. I'm fond of Wonder Woman but I cant deal with the split bullshit. Anything with Zatanna or Raven (not in teen titans) would be great.

EDIT: Yes I'm going to check out no justice.

benjipwns

« Reply #5055 on: May 11, 2018, 05:23:00 AM »
Wonder Woman is still doing the year one/modern day split? That's why I fell off too. I assumed that was going to get dropped after the first two stories ended, the collected editions only collect the arc itself.

I don't even get it now, I thought at first they were going to intertwine or have some connection justifying the split stories, especially with the titles, but then "The Truth" and "The Lies" didn't come together at all. Aside from the fact that they erased the New 52 and gave her yet another but basically the same origin.

Don't know why Rucka wanted to erase the New 52 version so bad, I really liked most of it actually, the Gods were better done than since...well, Rucka's prior stint ages ago.

I was considering looking into what's been happening with Green Arrow and Deathstroke last week, maybe Aquaman.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5056 on: May 11, 2018, 05:45:40 AM »
Green Arrow was great last I checked, cant really remember why I dropped it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5057 on: May 11, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »
JL#1 Variant
[close]

Superman just looks fucking stupid back in those trunks.  Sorry, it's just dumb.
:trumps
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5058 on: May 11, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
I don't understand why DC just didn't launch two Wonder Woman books.  Did they not think two would sell?

Recent reading:

Old-Man Logan- Is this getting canceled or something, or are they starting to prepare this character to get killed off with O.G. Logan back?  Old Man Logan has pretty much lost his healing factor (a story that they did with O.G. Logan before they killed him off just a few years ago, lol) and has one bad/scarred eye and is missing adamantium claws on one arm (still has bone ones) because of it.  His current story says he left the X-Men but returned to go get a medical check-up while the team was gone.  Cue bad guys attacking the mansion with the younger X-teens and Old Man Logan around.  I'm pretty behind on X-Men apart from Astonishing, where he's still there, but as far as I can tell he's still on the teams? :???

All-New Wolverine- This book is gearing up to be canceled.  I think the next issue is the last one.  They're doing a "future" storyline where "old woman Laura" is dying and wants to go clean shit up in the utopia-like future she's in.  The Wolverine in this timeline is now a grown-up Gabby in armor.

Astonishing X-Men- :zzz.  Just do not care about this "Man called X/Proteus" storyline going on.  And the Shadow King is back.  AGAIN.  They couldn't get rid of him for more than a couple of issues?

The Hunt For Wolverine- These are various little mini-series and one-shots.  The latest one, Adamantium Agenda, has some flashbacks with Wolverine from when he was with the New Avengers, but apart from that has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM AT ALL. :lol  It's just a Spider-Man/Iron Man/Luke Cage/Jessica Jones New Avengers reunion book where they're trying to stop arms dealers. 
:dead

Captain Marvel- This character is just so "eh," but I was going through some recent issues and there was a fun little storyline where she gets pulled into a mirror universe and has to deal with "bad" versions of her friends.  The Guardians Of The Galaxy are here and mirror-Groot is a giant carrot who says "I AM ROOT" and Rocket Raccoon is a humanoid female for some reason, lol.  Thanos is the "good guy" here but still kind of a hardnosed asshole.  I think there's potential for the live action movie next year to maybe get a better creative team behind Captain Marvel, but she really needs an overhaul.

Mighty Thor- Don't read this but wanted to see how she went out.  They didn't kill off Jane and instead she gets to live, de-powered, and still has cancer.  Yaaaaay....?  This ends femme Thor and it's back to Odinson from here on out. 

Red Sonja- I really liked how this series (volume 4, IIRC) started, with Sonja being lifted out of the past and put into the present day.  They seem to have ended that storyline and she's back in the past now.  Things are changed up a bit there and the story still isn't bad, but I'd rather have more present-day shenanigans.  Sonja in the city, riding motorcycles, and beating up drug dealers was fun. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:28:58 AM by bork »
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5059 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:01 AM »
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/justice-league-dark-2018/justice-league-dark-1

picking this up 100%

How's Red Hood and the Outlaws?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5061 on: May 16, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
TIME FOR ANOTHER 'EPIC' MARVEL EVENT STORYLINE even though they totally said they weren't doing stuff like this for a while

X-Men: Extermination, coming this summer.

SEE THE FUTURE WHERE THE X-MEN ARE BEING HUNTED BY SENTINELS (again)

SEE THE X-MEN UNDER CONTROL AS HOUNDS FOR AHAB (again)

SEE THE FUTURE X-MEN GO BACK TO THE PAST TO CHANGE THINGS (again)

"This series is about the Original Five - Jean, Bobby, Warren, Hank and Scott," Brisson told Marvel.com. "Years ago, they were brought from the past to our present so that they could see how badly things went wrong with their older selves and, theoretically, fix it. They were only meant to be here briefly, but have stuck around for far, far too long and their presence is finally going to have some very serious consequences - not just for themselves and the X-Men, but for all of mutantkind."

Hey, uh...did you not read the previous issues of X-Men, writer-dude?  The original five DID try to go back in time and found that time had righted itself-- they were now "replaced" by other versions of themselves and then decided to go back to the present time since they they no longer had a past to go back to.  This didn't even happen that long ago.
:neogaf

EDIT: From the CBR comments section on this:

I thought it was already confirmed they are alternate reality versions of the originals.

It was retconned that way and that altered - again - in a later arc. ugh.

LMAO.

How's Red Hood and the Outlaws?

Dunno.  Haven't read it in a couple of years.  Is Lobdell still shitting it up or did someone else take over the writing duties?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:42:57 AM by bork »
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5062 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
Still Lobdell afaik

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5063 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13:44 AM »
Read no Justice #1 and I .. like it. I hope they give some of the lesser known heroes some shine. On to #2

kingv

« Reply #5064 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:02 AM »
I’m an unlimited reader and am just getting to marvel legacy... and wtf is this shit?

I don’t even pay monthly for these books and I feel conned. Despicable Deadpool is dumb as hell, he reverts to the status quo in like 2 issues. Same for basically everything else. Another marvel non-event event.

Their editorial has gotten seriously bad.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5065 on: May 17, 2018, 03:22:54 AM »
>marvel comics in 2018
not even once.

look axis of shit alonso is gone, but it will take a long time for them to recover

Borealis

« Reply #5066 on: May 17, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »
Any recommendations for non-DC and Marvel comics y'all have read of late? If not, the good runs from either of em?

Looking to get back into comics and not sure what to pick up. Think the last I read was American Vampire. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5067 on: May 17, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
Any recommendations for non-DC and Marvel comics y'all have read of late? If not, the good runs from either of em?

Looking to get back into comics and not sure what to pick up. Think the last I read was American Vampire.

Savage Dragon from Image Comics is some fucked-up fun.  I also really like the current Red Sonja series from Dynamite, which initially takes the character and Kulan Gath and puts them into the present day.

Would highly recommend Invincible from Image, written by Robert Kirkman of the Walking Dead fame.  It recently ended and was just an all-around awesome superhero comic.  Shits all over everything from Marvel and DC.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5068 on: May 18, 2018, 03:54:17 AM »
American Vampire was pretty dope, Snyder had such promise. I'll make a cliche big list of non-DC/Marvel that includes Vertigo even though it's DC because you lose some of the greats otherwise

Ended or Unofficially Officially Ended:
Planetary
DMZ
Fatale/The Fade Out
Irredeemable/Incorruptable
Invincible
Fables
Queen and Country
100 Bullets
Fallen Angel
Top Ten
The Manhattan Projects
Thief of Thieves
The Damned
Planetary
Planetary
Planetary
Planetary
Lucifer

Still going...though some may be on hiatus as indie books are more and more taking after Saga and publishing an entire storyline then taking off three or more months rather than trying to stick to monthly...
East of West
Injection
Jupter's Circle/Legacy
Lazarus
Powers
The Massive

If you mean "non-cape" books instead, some of these have superheroes, but they all play with the concept. Invincible plays things more "realistic" in terms of human impact and Irredeemable's hook is "what if Superman makes a mistake, kills millions, and decides to roll with it rather than trying to save the day?"

Alan Moore's Supreme is kind the pinnacle Superman examination freed from his DC constraints and so long ago too...

Speaking of, people either love or really hate Saga, both sides are probably right.

There's a silly Japanese set series called Wayward, that was apparently originally a pitch to reboot Buffy for the 2010s (and this makes the characters make way more sense now as they're clearly gender split expy's for Willow, Angel, etc. lol), that features a girl powered by the spirits of stray cats and violent fox-girl and the one bad guy's threatening words to start his plotline are "tell me more about this 'internet'" and I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to be taking it seriously or not. :lol

I dunno, this is probably no help, what kind of stuff do you like Borealis? Other than American Vampire and Planetary of course.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5069 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
There's a silly Japanese set series called Wayward, that was apparently originally a pitch to reboot Buffy for the 2010s (and this makes the characters make way more sense now as they're clearly gender split expy's for Willow, Angel, etc. lol), that features a girl powered by the spirits of stray cats and violent fox-girl and the one bad guy's threatening words to start his plotline are "tell me more about this 'internet'" and I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to be taking it seriously or not. :lol

Holy shit...I know the guy who does the art on this.  Went to Japan for the first time with his brother and stayed at his apartment back in 2001.  He was trying to get a career in manga going.  Looks like he moved back Stateside, did some stuff, and is back over there now.  Small world.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5070 on: May 21, 2018, 12:38:34 AM »
Justice League No Justice
Mystik U
Justice League Dark
Batman
Mister Miracle

This is what i'll be reading still open to 2 - 3 more ongoings.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5071 on: May 21, 2018, 12:49:02 AM »
Batman Issue #47 - glad this Booster shit is over

Tasty

« Reply #5072 on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
Gleason Superman is over :fbm

Super Sons is ending Wednesday :goty2

Tynion 'Tec is ending in two weeks :goty

Adventures of Supersons in August :gladbron

ILikePizza

« Reply #5073 on: May 21, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »

I would highly recommend Southern Bastards and Moonshine.  They are my two favorite on-going series at the moment.  I've started reading Kill or Be Killed as well, seems like a pretty good series so far.

Tasty

« Reply #5074 on: May 21, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
Also there was a rumor (semi-but-not-really "debunked" by Jim Lee and Snyder) that DC is going to do a full reboot soon (New 52 style) and that Bats' and Supes' marriages would be undone AGAIN.

But it's seeming like it won't come to pass. Even Didio isn't that dumb... is he?

Gonna be honest, if that happened I'd probably drop comics altogether - for the first time since I started reading them.
[close]

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #5075 on: May 21, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »

I don't know if having a print edition is important to you but Tyler Cross is very good but it's only available digitally. Co-signing Moonshine,100 Bullets,Kill or be Killed(which is ending in a few months),Southern Bastards(which has very irregular release schedule) and Deathbed(which is ending in a few months).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:30:18 PM by Junpei the Tracer! »
Boo

Bebpo

« Reply #5076 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »

Holy shit...I know the guy who does the art on this.  Went to Japan for the first time with his brother and stayed at his apartment back in 2001.  He was trying to get a career in manga going.  Looks like he moved back Stateside, did some stuff, and is back over there now.  Small world.

Interesting, my last ex was a fan of Wayward. I read the first trade or two but it felt kinda manga derivative so I dropped it. Seems successful though, so congrats to your friend.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5077 on: May 21, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
Also there was a rumor (semi-but-not-really "debunked" by Jim Lee and Snyder) that DC is going to do a full reboot soon (New 52 style) and that Bats' and Supes' marriages would be undone AGAIN.

But it's seeming like it won't come to pass. Even Didio isn't that dumb... is he?

Gonna be honest, if that happened I'd probably drop comics altogether - for the first time since I started reading them.
[close]

I can see the Batman/Catwoman marriage not lasting, sure.  But not a reboot so much as a divorce or another character death.  Doubt Superman/Lois is going anywhere unless Bendis decides to fuck something up.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5078 on: May 21, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »

[close]

I can see the Batman/Catwoman marriage not lasting, sure.  But not a reboot so much as a divorce or another character death.  Doubt Superman/Lois is going anywhere unless Bendis decides to fuck something up.

I think he might be fucking things up (surprise!)

The upcoming Adventures of Super Sons maxi series in August is setup as a "flashback" set after Super Sons #16 (5/23) but before Man of Steel #1 (5/30.) So I'm guessing he changes something big in the status quo. :-\

And that MoS description:

A new era begins for Superman as a threat from his earliest origins reemerges to destroy the Last Son of Krypton. As Superman struggles to come to grips with what has happened to his wife and son, he must also face a new threat that’s determined to burn down Metropolis!

He's gonna fucking kill them for shock value isn't he :goty

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5079 on: May 22, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »
My guess is that Suberboy's age gets accelerated and he's a teenager.  Then he can write him just like Miles Morales.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5080 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
My guess is that Suberboy's age gets accelerated and he's a teenager.  Then he can write him just like Miles Morales.  :doge

Well Snyder said post-Metal with the Source Wall gone that Superboy Prime might come back. Considering how he flipped out on Connor I wonder how he'd react to Jon... :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5081 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
He becomes Jon's best bud and they go to midtown-Metropolis high school and ohmygod does that girl like Jon?!  He can't talk to her omg he's totally gonna talk to her go get her and Suberboy Prime is rooting for him and lots of talking and dialogue and action?  We don't have time for that yow!  Dialogue.  BENDIS.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5082 on: May 22, 2018, 09:31:47 PM »
Jon is gay thank you very much

Just like all my favorite DC characters lmao.

/tumblr

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

parallax

« Reply #5084 on: May 22, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »

so..terribly with no consequences for his actions?

Tasty

« Reply #5085 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
https://screenrant.com/tim-drake-role-dc-rebirth-comics/

The third, though, may be the most important: Tim Drake is beginning to understand the concepts of time and space that underpin the DC Multiverse. And if there is anyone in the DC Universe who can understand the forces at work, it's Tim. He's stepped out of the spotlight to solve this mystery for now, but when he returns... well, expect big things with Red Robin's name all over them.

:rejoice Just like last time (post-Batman RIP.)

Hopefully, unlike last time, they won't kill all this character growth and momentum with another big reboot to cap it off.  >:(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5086 on: May 23, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
Invincible Iron Man #700:

I'm just going to spoil the whole thing, because it's dumb and not worth reading.  There's a bunch of artists on this one, so some pages are just awful art-wise, and full of inconsistencies like Tony having facial hair one page and then none on another.

This is the last Bendis-written issue and it opens with...Rhodey being resurrected from the dead, following his death at the hands of Thanos at the beginning of Civil War II.  We get a Benis-monologue from A.I. Tony Stark that real Tony fucked around with his DNA or whatever which is what allowed him to come back from being "dead" and he figures he can do the same for Rhodey, who comes right back to life. 

"Tony Stark is Tony Stark and will NOT be out Tony Stark-ed." -Quality writing from Bendis that you can look forward to in Superman!

Meanwhile, Riri Williams, who teamed up with some armor teens, has been brought before...Leonardo DaVinci.  Yup, they're tying this back into the SHIELD origin story-thing.  Leo is making a new version of SHIELD and he's got people like Blade and Miles Morales signed up. 

Tony's real parents meet up (his mother,a former rockstar who worked for SHIELD, killed his father for being a double agent of Hydra, but surprise!  He's back AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE FUCK THESE PEOPLE ARE SO WHO CARES :zzz)

The Hood and his crew of super-villains are threatening the one Stark Inc. board member who tried to take over the company while Tony was "dead" and then Doom and Doombots show up, followed by Tony and Rhodey.  How did they find out what was going on?  Who fucking cares.  Doom fights Hood who turns into a monster and appears to be about to blast his face.  I guess we're getting old villain Doom back?

Back with Tony's parents, MJ comes in and shoots him in the shoulder and Hydra goons come out and SURPRISE it's nu-SHIELD with Riri and Miles-Spidey and...Cable?  WTF?  Why is CABLE there?  Who knows?  Nobody is explaining anything!   Tony and Rhodey pop up and the Champions also just come in from nowhere and Tony is interested in Nu-SHIELD too.

Doom, with a bloodied face, is back in the ruins of his castle and appears to be doing some kind of spell.  Why did Doom decide to do a face-turn and be a good guy for all this time?  WHO KNOWS!  Bendis isn't telling.  Thanks, Bendis.

And that's it*.  Dumb, dumb, DUMB end storyline and I guess with everyone back, Dan Slott can just ignore all that shit and start fresh.  Doom can go back to being a villain and fight the returning Fantastic Four.  Nu-SHIELD...uh, sure.  Whatever.

I've been reading that the whole "SJW Marvel" thing has failed big time, which explains why Tony is back as Iron Man, fem-Thor is dead and Odinson is back in the saddle, etc.  Even Ms Marvel's sales have slumped to the point where they're getting rid of G. Willow Wilson.  GOOD.  Please go back to making better comics again, thanks.

(*There's 1-2 more pages, where a time-traveling mutant whose name I forget goes to the future to see Dr. Strange, and it's actually an older Tony instead.  But this has nothing to do with Iron Man and is a "teaser" for an upcoming X-Men storyline that they're just throwing into random Marvel books as "end credit scenes.")
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5087 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:15 AM »
Going to read Analog, because i'm bored  :doge

kingv

« Reply #5088 on: May 24, 2018, 10:03:17 AM »
I don’t think that Marvels problem is the SJW thing, so much as they just have been making shorty books.

I don’t really like the SJW tilt in the books, but would tolerate it if the books were actually good and events had any sort of impact. But things revert to the status quo so quickly, or some approximation of it that nothing even feels like it matters.

Tony died? Never fear, we will have the exact same character but blue. Wolverine died? Don’t worry we have a solution for that too. Old, female, and young wolverine, please take your pick.

I really like Bendis on certain books. His recent Defenders run is really enjoyable, I think, but on a lot of books he sucks. I’m kind of curious what Slott will do. Broadly, I liked many stories in his Spider-man run even though I feel like turning Peter into a man-child has been kind of dumb.

parallax

« Reply #5089 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
Invincible Iron Man #700:

I'm just going to spoil the whole thing, because it's dumb and not worth reading.  There's a bunch of artists on this one, so some pages are just awful art-wise, and full of inconsistencies like Tony having facial hair one page and then none on another.

This is the last Bendis-written issue and it opens with...Rhodey being resurrected from the dead, following his death at the hands of Thanos at the beginning of Civil War II.  We get a Benis-monologue from A.I. Tony Stark that real Tony fucked around with his DNA or whatever which is what allowed him to come back from being "dead" and he figures he can do the same for Rhodey, who comes right back to life. 

"Tony Stark is Tony Stark and will NOT be out Tony Stark-ed." -Quality writing from Bendis that you can look forward to in Superman!

Meanwhile, Riri Williams, who teamed up with some armor teens, has been brought before...Leonardo DaVinci.  Yup, they're tying this back into the SHIELD origin story-thing.  Leo is making a new version of SHIELD and he's got people like Blade and Miles Morales signed up. 

Tony's real parents meet up (his mother,a former rockstar who worked for SHIELD, killed his father for being a double agent of Hydra, but surprise!  He's back AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE FUCK THESE PEOPLE ARE SO WHO CARES :zzz)

The Hood and his crew of super-villains are threatening the one Stark Inc. board member who tried to take over the company while Tony was "dead" and then Doom and Doombots show up, followed by Tony and Rhodey.  How did they find out what was going on?  Who fucking cares.  Doom fights Hood who turns into a monster and appears to be about to blast his face.  I guess we're getting old villain Doom back?

Back with Tony's parents, MJ comes in and shoots him in the shoulder and Hydra goons come out and SURPRISE it's nu-SHIELD with Riri and Miles-Spidey and...Cable?  WTF?  Why is CABLE there?  Who knows?  Nobody is explaining anything!   Tony and Rhodey pop up and the Champions also just come in from nowhere and Tony is interested in Nu-SHIELD too.

Doom, with a bloodied face, is back in the ruins of his castle and appears to be doing some kind of spell.  Why did Doom decide to do a face-turn and be a good guy for all this time?  WHO KNOWS!  Bendis isn't telling.  Thanks, Bendis.

And that's it*.  Dumb, dumb, DUMB end storyline and I guess with everyone back, Dan Slott can just ignore all that shit and start fresh.  Doom can go back to being a villain and fight the returning Fantastic Four.  Nu-SHIELD...uh, sure.  Whatever.

I've been reading that the whole "Social Studies Warrior Marvel" thing has failed big time, which explains why Tony is back as Iron Man, fem-Thor is dead and Odinson is back in the saddle, etc.  Even Ms Marvel's sales have slumped to the point where they're getting rid of G. Willow Wilson.  GOOD.  Please go back to making better comics again, thanks.

(*There's 1-2 more pages, where a time-traveling mutant whose name I forget goes to the future to see Dr. Strange, and it's actually an older Tony instead.  But this has nothing to do with Iron Man and is a "teaser" for an upcoming X-Men storyline that they're just throwing into random Marvel books as "end credit scenes.")

so his iron man ends like his spider man did.. with a bunch of bullshit. i hope they reign his ass in at dc.

Tasty

« Reply #5090 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
Re: Invincible Iron Man #600

Meanwhile, Leonardo Da Vinci—the actual one, and, because this is Marvel, one of the original founders of SHIELD centuries ago—recruits Miles Morales and Riri Williams into his secret new organization designed to act in SHIELD’s place.

:lol

I'd throw shade but Uncle Sam was a real DC character who was in the limelight at times (most notably Infinite Crisis, where he and his team get brutally murdered lol.)

Borealis

« Reply #5092 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
Savage Dragon from Image Comics is some fucked-up fun.  I also really like the current Red Sonja series from Dynamite, which initially takes the character and Kulan Gath and puts them into the present day.

Would highly recommend Invincible from Image, written by Robert Kirkman of the Walking Dead fame.  It recently ended and was just an all-around awesome superhero comic.  Shits all over everything from Marvel and DC.

American Vampire was pretty dope, Snyder had such promise. I'll make a cliche big list of non-DC/Marvel that includes Vertigo even though it's DC because you lose some of the greats otherwise

Ended or Unofficially Officially Ended:
Planetary
DMZ
Fatale/The Fade Out
Irredeemable/Incorruptable
Invincible
Fables
Queen and Country
100 Bullets
Fallen Angel
Top Ten
The Manhattan Projects
Thief of Thieves
The Damned
Planetary
Planetary
Planetary
Planetary
Lucifer

Still going...though some may be on hiatus as indie books are more and more taking after Saga and publishing an entire storyline then taking off three or more months rather than trying to stick to monthly...
East of West
Injection
Jupter's Circle/Legacy
Lazarus
Powers
The Massive

If you mean "non-cape" books instead, some of these have superheroes, but they all play with the concept. Invincible plays things more "realistic" in terms of human impact and Irredeemable's hook is "what if Superman makes a mistake, kills millions, and decides to roll with it rather than trying to save the day?"

Alan Moore's Supreme is kind the pinnacle Superman examination freed from his DC constraints and so long ago too...

Speaking of, people either love or really hate Saga, both sides are probably right.

I dunno, this is probably no help, what kind of stuff do you like Borealis? Other than American Vampire and Planetary of course.

I would highly recommend Southern Bastards and Moonshine.  They are my two favorite on-going series at the moment.  I've started reading Kill or Be Killed as well, seems like a pretty good series so far.

I don't know if having a print edition is important to you but Tyler Cross is very good but it's only available digitally. Co-signing Moonshine,100 Bullets,Kill or be Killed(which is ending in a few months),Southern Bastards(which has very irregular release schedule) and Deathbed(which is ending in a few months).

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I might jump into a couple of the Image comic suggestions first. Also, is Transmetropolitan any good?

Was reading Saga until about issue #30 I think, probably should get back to it. Went through Snyder's run of Batman around the same time, but honestly can't recall where I stopped (I think Zero Year, with Joker taking over the world?) and have no idea how his run concluded. 

And yeah, kinda disappointed with how American Vampire's panned out after I caught up with it last week, can't believe the Second Cycle just ended 11 issues in :( There's barely any discussion on it online, no idea why there's another hiatus.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5093 on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:38 AM »
Justice League No Justice #3 - I'm still onboard for now, I wish they would give team Wonder more panels though.

Also, nice drawings guys :doge
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5094 on: May 30, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »
Amazing Spider-Man #800 is out today and it concludes the Red Goblin storyline, but is not Dan Slott's final issue- that's #801.  This one is like 80 pages long and is the entire finale; no extra "milestone issue!!!" crap here.

Enjoyed this a lot more than Invincible Iron Man #600.  I still think this final Slott story is a bit on the weaker side, given the villain (the scope of things just never felt big enough), but you can tell that Slott actually cares about what he's writing, unlike Bendis's "I'm out, bitches" vibe.

Is there anything major that happens here?  Yes, but nothing earth-shattering.  There is a character death here but I get the feeling this character will end up returning later on because comics.

Spoilers:
-The issue opens with Spider-Man and co. recovering after a Red Goblin beat-down.  Anti-Venom (Flash Thompson) comes to their aid and uses his man-made symbiote to heal everyone but Spidey with.  Doing this drains his symbiote and you can see it visibly fading from his body.  HINT HINT

-During the battle, Red Goblin reveals that all the little needles he has been shooting contain a kind of poison that will go through the nervous system and into the brain, killing the victim slowly and extremely painfully.  He also tells Spidey that he's off to go kill his family and goes after Mary Jane first.

-Normie Osborne, Red Goblin's grandson, who got infected with the Carnage symbiote, goes to kill Aunt May.  She is saved by Doctor Octopus (No more "superior name" although it's still him in a cloned Peter Parker body) and when Spidey comes in, Ock says he still has Peter's memories and couldn't bear to let anything happen to May, so Spidey says they're square and lets him go off to do whatever.  (JJJ is also there in a remote-controlled Spider Slayer robot, but basically does nothing)

-A subplot here is that Norman is trying take over Alchemax (who bought Oscorp) from his son's ex-wife but this kind of fails due to all the shit going on.  This is also when Normie starts getting turned back to a good kid again...maybe.

-J. Jonah Jameson is the smartest man in the world, because he figures out that Eddie Brock is Venom and calls him.  He asks Venom to help.  Venom goes to save Mary Jane and beats up the Red Goblin, who escapes after Spidey arrives.

-Brock tells Spidey he's too weak to go on but offers his symbiote to help.  So we're back to black costume-symbiote Spider-Man for the first time in decades!  Peter seems to accept this way, way too easily after all that's happened with that thing, but it is a changed alien I guess.  The artist draws him kind of weird- the eyes are sort of popping off his face and it looks fucked up.

-Red Goblin reveals that the little needles he's been shooting people with are toxic and can kill people slowly and painfully whenever he wants.  He's gonna go ahead and do that now, but then nothing happens.  BECAUSE FLASH.  Anti-Venom got the needles out of everybody.  He uses the last of his symbiote to protect Spidey and suffers a fatal wound, then dies.   :'(

-After more fighting, Spider-Man is defeated, but he gambles on telling the Red Goblin that it's not Norman Osbourne who won...but Carnage.  Specifically Cletus Cassidy, the former human host, who I thought was dead, but apparently is part of the symbiote now.  ??? ??? ???  Norman is full of himself and can't accept this.

-Both ditch their symbiotes and fight again.  Spidey wins and the Carnage symbiote comes back.  He uses an explosion to stop it and it shocks Norman so bad he turns into a babbling idiot.

-Flash has a funeral, words are said, etc etc.  There's nothing saying he's coming back, but I get the feeling the whole "healing" thing with Anti-Venom means he'll pop back up later on in some form.

-We see Norman in jail and Spider-Man goes to see him.  He had previously found out that Spider-Man was Peter Parker (again, since everyone who knew previously lost that after One More Day) but now calls him "Norman Osborne."  Apparently his mind is now that of Cletus Cassidy and Norman is "gone."  I kind of doubt this will stick, but OK.

-Harry decides to change his last name back to "Osborne" to do right by it and we get a hint that the symbiote is not completely gone from his son.

-In an "after credits" scene, Doc Ock has gone out to Cali to go accept a position at Horizon University, where Peter's old science colleagues are, including Anna, who he had a relationship with when he was Superior Spider-Man. 
[close]
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5095 on: May 31, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
Justice League No Justice #3 - I'm still onboard for now, I wish they would give team Wonder more panels though.

Also, nice drawings guys :doge
[close]
No Justice's art has been so bad :lol

tho maybe it's a metaphor :ohhh

i read the New 52 Green Arrow run recently and it turned into a pretty complete shit show artwise too

Tasty

« Reply #5096 on: May 31, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
BECAUSE FLASH. 

For a sec I thought Wally used the speedforce to run around and get the needles out of everyone in like, 0.1 seconds. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #5097 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I might jump into a couple of the Image comic suggestions first. Also, is Transmetropolitan any good?

Was reading Saga until about issue #30 I think, probably should get back to it. Went through Snyder's run of Batman around the same time, but honestly can't recall where I stopped (I think Zero Year, with Joker taking over the world?) and have no idea how his run concluded. 

And yeah, kinda disappointed with how American Vampire's panned out after I caught up with it last week, can't believe the Second Cycle just ended 11 issues in :( There's barely any discussion on it online, no idea why there's another hiatus.
Transmetropolitan is fun, it's oddly dated in a lot of ways despite being set in the 23rd Century.

Snyder's been promoted into the standard DC higher up, that's why all his Vertigo stuff has fallen away, I'm not sure he'll ever be back to it. I'll give it a pass though because of METAL.

Tasty

« Reply #5098 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
That entire write-up:

benjipwns

« Reply #5099 on: May 31, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
i have no idea where doomsday clock is headed at all

also tasty, don't read bendis' the man of steel, dooonnnn'tttt