Author Topic: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread  (Read 190823 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread
« Reply #601 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:35 AM »
I suggest mounting autoturrets and street lamps and shit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread
« Reply #602 on: February 28, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »

NRA annihilated
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #603 on: February 28, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
Well that arming teachers idea seems to be going well.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/968903097933320194

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #604 on: February 28, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
liberal false flag

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #605 on: February 28, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Not much info but the police said he was "barricaded" in the school. Lordy.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Well see if all the teachers were armed one of them would have taken him out, more good guns

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
Obviously we need more teachers with guns. If there was another teacher in there with a gun it would've stopped it.
que

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Well see if all the teachers were armed one of them would have taken him out, more good guns

GAME OVER CUCKS, LIBTARDS ANNIHILATED
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
We gotta arm the kids so they can take out a rogue teacher if they have to.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #610 on: February 28, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »
We gotta arm the kids so they can take out a rogue teacher if they have to.

They should just hang emergency guns on the wall next to the fire extinguisher.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #611 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
label it a shooter extinguisher
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #612 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
label it a shooter extinguisher

shooters annihilated

shosta

« Reply #613 on: February 28, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »
hands up biiiiiiaaaaaaaatttttttccccchhhhh
每天生气

Corporal

!list

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
Apparently you have to fake concern for kids when the presssure heats up even though the Vegas shooting is more problematic.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
It's weird to me that the focus is entirely on preventing kids from getting guns and shooting up schools when mass shootings happen everywhere. Of the top 23 mass shooting events in US history, 17 weren't in a school of any kind. Of those 6 remaining, 3 were on college campuses by people over 21. For the other 3 (Sandy Hook, Columbine, Stoneman Douglas), I'm pretty sure none of the shooters had legally acquired their guns anyway.

So while babysteps are good, this issue sure is a lot bigger than kids getting guns before they're 21. Idk maybe like there's a gun problem or something.

I agree that with your general point, but how did you miss that the Parkland shooter bought his guns legally? This is a direct response to that. FWIW Adam Lanza got his guns legally too, iirc his mom bought them for him

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »
Benjy Sarlin pointed out today how lots of specific proposals can be seen as responses to recent mass shootings.

Bump stocks because of Vegas, Fix NICS because of the Texas church shooting, "no fly no buy" because of Pulse, red flag laws because of Isla Vista, high capacity magazines because of Sandy Hook and Aurora, etc.

I don't think anyone feels this is a great approach, but as long as significant changes are off the table this is where the debate will be.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #619 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
Just like rap music, AIDS, and eating ass, things only become problematic to society at large when they start happening to white children.
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #620 on: February 28, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »
Why are liberals like Trump always trying to take away our guns? They disgust me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/us/politics/trump-gun-control.html

agrajag

Bump

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Can no one stop the violent videogames?!!
 :six:
que

agrajag

If only there were enough guns on campus to stop the violence!

Mupepe

• Icon
The prevailing argument on a lot of gun forums I frequent seems to be emphasizing a "good guy" with a gun.  The cop in Florida?  He was just a guy with a gun.  Neither bad nor good.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
No true good guy with a gun.
que

agrajag

The prevailing argument on a lot of gun forums I frequent seems to be emphasizing a "good guy" with a gun.  The cop in Florida?  He was just a guy with a gun.  Neither bad nor good.

They have a lot of faith in the goodness of people with guns.

Mandark

• Icon

This seems like a real common sentiment: you can tell who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are, so we should arm one group and maybe preemptively disarm the other, and the distinction is so clear that we could easily figure out who's who (if the politicians weren't such pussies).

Which is the same way a lot of people talk about social programs. We need to help ordinary Americans, but not just give money to lazy poor people, and it should be obvious who's deserving and not.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

They really need to bring back The Wire for another season so we can have an arc where an armed Prezbo is forced to deal a school shooter.

agrajag

This seems like a real common sentiment: you can tell who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are, so we should arm one group and maybe preemptively disarm the other, and the distinction is so clear that we could easily figure out who's who (if the politicians weren't such pussies).

Which is the same way a lot of people talk about social programs. We need to help ordinary Americans, but not just give money to lazy poor people, and it should be obvious who's deserving and not.

that's why republicans want to do things like drug test welfare recipients, except that the drug tests themselves cost the tax payer more money than it saves  :derp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Like in Syria? :thinking
dog

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Here it is you guys. The film that'll stop school shootings throughout the world.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cool-cat-stops-a-school-shooting-a-safety-film--2#/

>>> Bottom line, as it’s been proven, <<<
if we wait for the government or someone else
to do something about this School Shooting problem,
then nothing will get done.
It’s up to us.

---FILM COST TO SCHOOLS

As long as this campaign is a success, we will make “COOL CAT STOPS A SCHOOL SHOOTING – a School Safety film” –

-a completely FREE FILM FOR EVERY PUBLIC AND CHARTER SCHOOL THROUGHOUT AMERICA!!!  And we may be able to make this happen for schools worldwide via the internet.

---IS THIS A PRO-GUN OR ANTI-GUN PROJECT

This is not a pro-gun or an anti-gun project, and there is no politics in this film - it’s to show kids how to stay safe in a school shooting situation.  I have been training with weapons since I was a child.  I used to work in the machinegun business and my other new film that’ll be released in 2018 is “Gun Self-Defense for Ladies”, so I have a true passion and much knowledge in this area.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:08:20 AM by Skullfuckers Anonymous »

Tasty

KNIFE PROTECTION

Mandark

• Icon
The fact that the Parkland shooter is pretty clearly a racist/white supremacist has really gone under the radar. The gun control aspect has monopolized the attention from liberals, and conservatives looking for other causes to point to aren't really eager to shine a light on this one.

shosta

It would be hypocritical to hyperfocus on the ideology. It's a much stronger position to simply accept that unstable people tend toward extremism and that's why having so few gatekeepers for weapons in this country is a threat to security.
每天生气

studyguy

I look forward to that future where conventional weapons are seen as passe vs laser guns and shit and for someone to make the argument that our forefathers wanted us to be strapped with nuclear fission rifles.  :usacry
pause

jorma

I look forward to that future where conventional weapons are seen as passe vs laser guns and shit and for someone to make the argument that our forefathers wanted us to be strapped with nuclear fission rifles.  :usacry

Well, how else would you protect your rights and freedoms against rocks hurled from the moon.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Today's incident reminded me of a recent study that the NRA was parading around the conservative sites. Where it showed that mass school shootings are not more prevalent today than in the past. The metric they used was 'a school shooting where 4 or more people are killed', which until recently, was the way the FBI measured/classified these events. Now they just measure them by whether there is an active shooter.

So, that incident today in MD wouldn't even register on that study as an incident. Even though a gun was brought into a school and multiple people were wounded/killed. Similar incidents have already happened 4 other times this year alone. They wouldn't be counted either.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
serge

Nola

Today's incident reminded me of a recent study that the NRA was parading around the conservative sites. Where it showed that mass school shootings are not more prevalent today than in the past. The metric they used was 'a school shooting where 4 or more people are killed', which until recently, was the way the FBI measured/classified these events. Now they just measure them by whether there is an active shooter.

So, that incident today in MD wouldn't even register on that study as an incident. Even though a gun was brought into a school and multiple people were wounded/killed. Similar incidents have already happened 4 other times this year alone. They wouldn't be counted either.

Yeah etiolate spammed something similar a few pages ago.

The parameters required to meet the study were 4 or more dead within 24 hours by one shooter in a public location only where no other criminal activity is involved.

So right off the bat you eliminate today’s shooting from the data set. You also eliminate roughly 88% of mass shootings according to his published research, since his parameters only include roughly 12% of the broader category of mass murders. On top of that he doesn’t want to include data that involved a private residence, like the mass murder my girlfriend’s cousin was involved in around Plano, Texas. That researcher didn’t seem nefarious or anything but the methodology was a little head scratching. Under those parameters it showed that there wasn’t a rise in frequency, but again, you are purposefully filling the data set in a way I don’t think most people would agree is the best way to define mass shootings.

Furthermore, let’s drop the American insulation and see how frequent these events are in other developed countries. Because once you do that, well, the picture isn’t looking so good for gun advocates. Furthermore, even taking the assertion at face value, the fact that the frequency of mass shootings may not of increased is itself somewhat alarming. Since murder and gun death rates overall have been declining over the last couple decades. The fact that at best we don’t see a similar drop in the frequency of mass shootings is a bit of a damning thing in and of itself, especially if that is the best the NRA has got.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:44:52 PM by Nola »

agrajag

We need Cindi's hot take

ToxicAdam

The way we keep gun statistics is all fucked up. We don't even have a national database that records incidents where someone is shot accidently (but not killed). Even though it happens every almost every single day in America.

The only thing that determines if it becomes a statistic is if the aim of the toddler or pre-teen is good/bad. If they killed someone, then we count it.

Instead, we rely on advocacy groups to go through millions of records and attempt to provide the data and some context. Which then easily gets waved away by others as propaganda.

Furthermore, let’s drop the American insulation and see how frequent these events are in other developed countries.

Personally, I don't respond to or like these comparisons. Each country has it's own culture/history/geography/makeup that plays a huge influence on their respective peoples. It just doesn't seem relevant to me about the laws in Denmark or Australia and how that would be play out in America.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:08:06 PM by ToxicAdam »

Nola

The way we keep gun statistics is all fucked up. We don't even have a national database that records incidents where someone is shot accidently (but not killed). Even though it happens every almost every single day in America.

The only thing that determines if it becomes a statistic is if the aim of the toddler or pre-teen is good/bad. If they killed someone, then we count it.

Instead, we rely on advocacy groups to go through millions of records and attempt to provide the data and some context. Which then easily gets waved away by others as propaganda.

I mean we do have a lot of data, but thanks to the NRA and Republicans, it basically can’t be used by the agencies best positioned to do so. But the data could be better. I agree on that. Lots of little niches where it would be nice to see the numbers on, like accidental injuries.

There is plenty of good research out there though. Enough that we can make some pretty comfortable inferences on the individual, local and national level. And there is a lot of data internationally that can aide in informing policy prescriptions as well.

Nola

Personally, I don't respond to or like these comparisons. Each country has it's own culture/history/geography/makeup that plays a huge influence on their respective peoples. It just doesn't seem relevant to me about the laws in Denmark or Australia and how that would be play out in America.

Why would a study, that for instance,  shows the effect of increased regulation and supply reduction through gun buybacks in Australia on the black market prices of guns not be useful for America? I struggle to see what variables you could come up with that make that research invalid when it’s basically just showing the effect of basic supply and demand.

Or as another example, how research in Switzerland showed that increased licensing and regulation of firearms led to a statistically significant drop in gun suicides with no offsetting rise in alternative suicide methods. Sure, there are unique variables at play, but I fail to see why that research would be invalid because of it? Especially when studies in America show similar relationships.

Most of the time international studies align fairly closely with the findings we end up having in studies at home in America, so just on the evidence I don’t really see that hypothesis having enough merit to blankety disavow all non-American studies. Sure you want to take into consideration what unique differences may be affecting the results, but to just disavow all work not done in America? That’s seems a little silly.

ToxicAdam

I'm just letting you know that those arguments don't persuade me, that is all. Even as someone who desperately wants gun control/reform in this country.

Switzerland had a unique event (demilitarization) in a country that had (famously) a long history of crazy-high suicide rates for decades. Those rates were already heavily trending down a decade prior to the absence of those guns.

Australia of course, had a cultural upheaval, due to the disgust over some gun incidents in it's country that provided the impetus for those buybacks. There would never be a clarifying event in America that would act the same.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I find supply and demand pretty difficult to argue with. It'd be a monumental task, but making something costlier to obtain generally reduces its availability.

You're right insofar as there just doesn't seem to be an acceptable catalyzing event that would get legislation of that type off the ground.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:16:01 PM by Rufus »

Nola

I'm just letting you know that those arguments don't persuade me, that is all. Even as someone who desperately wants gun control/reform in this country.

Switzerland had a unique event (demilitarization) in a country that had (famously) a long history of crazy-high suicide rates for decades. Those rates were already heavily trending down a decade prior to the absence of those guns.

Australia of course, had a cultural upheaval, due to the disgust over some gun incidents in it's country that provided the impetus for those buybacks. There would never be a clarifying event in America that would act the same.

Again, it is not just Switzerland that illustrates this relationship of higher gun control and licensing = reduced gun suicides, you have findings in other countries like Australia and like in America in multiple states we have data on this. So if this hypothesis of yours had some sort of validity behind it, we wouldn't be seeing so much similarity in findings studying this phenomena. We wouldn't be seeing meta studies that look at large collections of studies across the globe that highlight these shared findings. You can choose to disavow them, but your reasoning doesnt seem to hold up under scrutiny.

The bolded is really a complete red herring to the discussion. Whether or not America has the capacity to have an Australian style clarity moment on guns has no bearing on whether successfully reducing the supply of guns and increasing barriers to entry for purchasing them will increase the black market price of weapons. Unless you have some evidence that identifies what shadowy unique variables in Australia make the laws of supply and demand work in Australia but won't here, I think you are going to need to do better.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:30:30 PM by Nola »

ToxicAdam

Of course it has a bearing. Legislation is only effective if the people respond to it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
How does the American spirit defeat scarcity?

jorma

How does the American spirit defeat scarcity?

By making sure they have more guns than anyone else, and not being afraid to use them.  :doge

Nola

I see that teacher gun training is off to a good start  :american:

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
I see that teacher gun training is off to a good start  :american:

(Image removed from quote.)

Timmy wasn't that great of a student anyway. He deserved it.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Meh he only got shot in the head like seven times, he'll be fiiiine.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Meh he only got shot in the head like seven times, he'll be fiiiine.

Well, you know, once his classmates give him CPR.
©@©™

paprikastaude

She was obviously doing a cheeky reference to Men in Black.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
active shooter at youtube right now

of course, 4chan is claiming "they deserved it"
püp