Author Topic: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread  (Read 187147 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
....who fucking cares about the number?  Just ONE should be goddamned enough.  What a bullshit thing to argue about.
püp

curly

• cultural maoist
Re: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread
« Reply #422 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:19 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #423 on: February 15, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »
I find it disgusting how the media uses these situations to take actual victims of this to propagate an anti-gun narrative when we KNOW that the FBI received a warning about this kid and did nothing with it. But guns are the SOLE problem? Same with Omar Mateen. Guy had red flags. Was put on lists. But nope. The government isn’t even doing its job here. But somehow more laws will fix things? How was he not flagged when purchasing? That’s the REAL question.

The AR-15 rifle used in the attack was purchased legally, at Sunrise Tactical Supply in Florida, according to a federal law enforcement official. “No laws were violated in the procurement of this weapon,” said Peter J. Forcelli, the special agent in charge for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Miami.

Nola

« Reply #424 on: February 15, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
Grant Duwe, a Ph.D. researcher in Minnesota and the author of Mass Murder in the United States: A History, has shown that mass murders actually track closely with homicide rates—and that, in the past decade, both dropped to their lowest levels since the 1960s. Indeed, according to Duwe’s research, the rate of mass murder was highest in 1929,

James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston, is one of the most prominent critics of the media’s mythology of increased mass murder. His own research shows that the numbers of mass shootings and mass-shooting victims in America have been remarkably consistent: roughly 20 shootings a year, with an average of 100 deaths. The number of shootings fluctuates annually, in spikes, which Fox credits to copycatting or sheer coincidence, but the average has held for 30 years.

And several graphs in this piece:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/04/mass-shootings-more-deadly-frequent-research-215678

By this guys metric the mass shooting that killed my girlfriend’s cousins friends, and could of easily killed him, in Plano, Texas, where the guy entered the home where a party was going on and killed 8 people would not qualify as a mass shooting according to this guy’s accounting, nor would the subsequent church shooting that killed 25. That is a ridiculous way to measure mass shootings if your metric is creating such glaring omissions. Stick to a number and general baseline and don’t try and cherry pick arbitrary qualifiers.

EDIT: There certainly may be very little, if any notable rise, in frequency based on per 100,000 people, which is certainly the best way to measure that, but at least provide some non shit substantiation for it.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:24:22 PM by Nola »

Nola

« Reply #425 on: February 15, 2018, 11:45:16 PM »
I find it disgusting how the media uses these situations to take actual victims of this to propagate an anti-gun narrative when we KNOW that the FBI received a warning about this kid and did nothing with it. But guns are the SOLE problem? Same with Omar Mateen. Guy had red flags. Was put on lists. But nope. The government isn’t even doing its job here. But somehow more laws will fix things? How was he not flagged when purchasing? That’s the REAL question.
You know why the government isn't doing its job? Because of the same fucking people that prevent any and all gun control legislation.

There are over 370,000 requests annually that come into the ATF trying to source or assist in identifying gun registrations in order to assist local officers in solving or following through on inquiries about gun purchases they have the information on. That would help solve crimes, prevent crimes, or help the process of identifying problematic gun buyers. On top of that, it is ILLEGAL to use a computer to organize those registrations into a searchable database. So they have to manually look through millions of files to try and answer any inquiry. You know how many people are staffed to do that job? 50 fucking people.

You know why? Because of that same fucking NRA that disseminates those talking points. Because in the 80's and subsequently they passed legislation that capped the amount of spending agencies that deal with gun crimes are allotted, that made obvious advancements of efficiency illegal. They then went on to pass legislation that made it illegal to conduct most sorts of gun trace data collection to identify patterns, like a legal firearm seller in say Georgia, selling a large number of firearms that end up on the streets in Chicago, where 60% of guns recovered in crimes are from out of state. Made it illegal to coordinate or pass on what information they can trace in bulk to agencies like the FBI. So you have skeleton crews that are unable to even do their basic jobs, with purposeful legislation meant to prevent law enforcement from doing the sort of coordination and tracing that would make their agencies more effective at preventing and monitoring trends in gun violence.

Than yokels get on the horn and try and blame the government because they didn't take two fucking seconds to perhaps question the talking points they wanted to believe are true.

I'm sorry, but I lived blocks away from Columbine, have had friends killed by guns, so I get a bit miffed when I hear the same bullshit arguments and regurgitated propaganda over and over again.

bluemax

« Reply #426 on: February 15, 2018, 11:47:41 PM »
The "chasing fame" aspect of mass shooters. Which is another significant factor in this discussion when trying to figure out why it's so prevalent here.

I don't even remember the Vegas shooter's name or face.

He was a cis, straight,  upper middle class, middle aged white man. What else do you need to know?

With a history of domestic violence. That's another common denominator in a lot of these.
NO

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »

The AR-15 rifle used in the attack was purchased legally, at Sunrise Tactical Supply in Florida, according to a federal law enforcement official. “No laws were violated in the procurement of this weapon,” said Peter J. Forcelli, the special agent in charge for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Miami.

Not to mention existing laws have been weakened since Trump took office when our basic level of gun countol as compared to other advanced nations is already a joke.

In February 2017, he signed legislation cutting an Obama-era regulation that added to the national gun background check database the names of people who are receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people who are deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs.

Trump signed the bill without fanfare, NBC News reported.

The action was applauded by the NRA. “Today marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our right to keep and bear arms,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, said at the time.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/02/15/trump-blames-shooting-mental-illness-but-signed-bill-making-easier-for-mentally-ill-have-guns/K6HUSsCk8Fd7PpC5sfKdkO/story.html

But nope. Gun Control activists "disgust" a certain somebody. Fuck off.

Himu

« Reply #428 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:33 AM »
Not defending Trump for that. Pretty dumb and heartless move.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #429 on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »
....who fucking cares about the number?  Just ONE should be goddamned enough.  What a bullshit thing to argue about.

:heh

I don’t disagree but “who cares about the numbers?” Don’t lie about numbers. It turns victim into political chess.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #430 on: February 16, 2018, 01:11:24 AM »
Civilians shouldn't have access to guns period.

Protection is the job of the state.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #431 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »

It's still 1782 here. We need our guns in case the government oversteps. And also if the slaves revolt.

Nola

« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:45 AM »

It's still 1782 here. We need our guns in case the government oversteps. And also if the slaves revolt.

The irony is that no one in 1782, or the 200 years after, at least in any sort of majority, and certainly not in a majority in the Supreme Court, interpreted the second amendment as an individual right to arms. Republican or Democrat controlled court.

Just for fun, here's a shiny Nixon Supreme Court appointee in 1991 and his thoughts on the newly advocated NRA interpretation that the second amendment guarantees a personal right to bear arms:

Himu

« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »

The same state that abuses civilians. Right. Thank God I am American, where the founding father rightfully did not trust the state. Right. The state. The same state lead by Donald Trump. The same state whose congress and senate can’t pass reasonable legislature because of partisanship. The same state that is perfectly fine having its mitts around its constituents’ throat via wage slavery, and student loan debt. The same state that has sponsors a drug war that allows police to sell assets through forfeiture, separates families, kills communities, and imprisons millions of men for profit and servitude. The same state that LIED when invading Iraq. The same state that bailed out criminals after the 2008 financial crisis. The same state that imprisoned natural born citizens in internment camps during WWII for the crime of simply being Japanese. The same state that turns police, tear gas, dogs, and water hoses on peaceful protesters. The same state that concocted a plan to exercise genocide on an entire race.

Oh.

That state.

I will put my full trust in it to protect my life.  :american

You’re talking to citizens of a country that won its own revolution. That also happens to have a “wonderful” record of citizen abuses. Skepticism of government is earned. Hell, it’s built into the very DNA of the country. But put full trust in it or you’re an idiot.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2018, 01:49:37 AM »
Sure, but good luck protecting yourself from the state with a gun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Himu

« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2018, 01:51:44 AM »
Sure, but good luck protecting yourself from the state with a gun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is such a bad argument, like you’ve never heard of any war America has been involved in post WWII compounded with the fact that it  makes anyone says it sound like a giant fucking pussy.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #436 on: February 16, 2018, 01:53:45 AM »
America. The only country that had a revolution (hundreds of years ago) and therefore is skeptical of government so everybody needs weapons.

Gotta love that American bubble.

Nola

« Reply #437 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:13 AM »

The same state that abuses civilians. Right. Thank God I am American, where the founding father rightfully did not trust the state. Right. The state. The same state lead by Donald Trump. The same state whose congress and senate can’t pass reasonable legislature because of partisanship. The same state that is perfectly fine having its mitts around its constituents’ throat via wage slavery, and student loan debt. The same state that has sponsors a drug war that allows police to sell assets through forfeiture, separates families, kills communities, and imprisons millions of men for profit and servitude. The same state that LIED when invading Iraq. The same state that bailed out criminals after the 2008 financial crisis. The same state that imprisoned natural born citizens in internment camps during WWII for the crime of simply being Japanese. The same state that turns police, tear gas, dogs, and water hoses on peaceful protesters. The same state that concocted a plan to exercise genocide on an entire race.

Oh.

That state.

I will put my full trust in it to protect my life.  :american

You’re talking to citizens of a country that won its own revolution. That also happens to have a “wonderful” record of citizen abuses. Skepticism of government is earned. Hell, it’s built into the very DNA of the country. But put full trust in it or you’re an idiot.

And they managed to do all that shit when you still had access to arms. So your point was what exactly?

Himu

« Reply #438 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:41 AM »
“Only the state should have weapons”.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-18288430

“Hur hurrr”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Venezuelan_protests

An unarmed populace with no power. Time and time again, we see this happen. Liberals and progressives think we are beyond weapons so we should put trust in the state because of the here and now.  We don’t need weapons now, we means we won’t need them later is the logic. But every state falls. Countries are remade and reshaped all the time through history. But we should ban weapons because who needs them today, right? Cases like Venezuela prove conservatives right in that often liberals fall to excesses of today that they overlook what may happen tomorrow. Thank fuck the world isn’t controlled by them.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #439 on: February 16, 2018, 02:16:01 AM »
Why do Americans always hark back to winning a revolution, every fucking country has won some conflict. You are not unique snowflakes lol.

Also it wasn't fucking Cindi Mayweather fighting the British commando style from the window of her apartment with the handgun she keeps under the bed, it was a fucking regular army (militia) fighting another regular army. You are not going to fight anyone Cindi.

Also nothing you wrote makes any sense or gives reason to own a gun.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #440 on: February 16, 2018, 02:16:04 AM »
My god you talk so much ignorant bullshit. The election drove you completely stupid.

Well time to add you to my ignore list finally.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #442 on: February 16, 2018, 02:17:36 AM »
2nd amendment annihilated 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #443 on: February 16, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »
You think if citizens in Venezuela had guns things would be better?  :lol

It would be a total bloodbath and they would get squashed.

This is how you bring down a regime, over a long time.

Himu

« Reply #444 on: February 16, 2018, 02:22:39 AM »
Is it a characteristic of the left to sound so weak? Goes hand in hand with the victim complex.  “You couldn’t win” “they’d get squashed”. Jeez. It’s like you haven’t paid attention to the the past half century. Never mind that some weapons is definitely better than no weapons.
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #445 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:47 AM »
also venezuela has one of the highest murder rates in the world, I'm sure there are plenty of weapons in the country

and the opposition shot and killed plenty of people in the 2017 protests

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #446 on: February 16, 2018, 02:27:08 AM »
Sound so weak? Realistic more like.

You have no idea what you are talking about opposing an armed government Cindi.

All you know is what you read in books and saw on tv as usual.

You don't know anyone that fought.¨

You have NO CLUE AT ALL.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #447 on: February 16, 2018, 02:32:05 AM »
Cant wait for your "Holocaust would have never happened if the jews had guns" argument.

Himu

« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:18 AM »
https://amp.businessinsider.com/ap-venezuelas-maduro-seeks-to-expand-armed-civilian-militias-2017-4

Arming loyalists. Hmm. Trusting the state...

:nope

Wanna know why you don’t trust the state? It’s a pendulum. We went from Obama to Trump. Thankfully there are checks and balances. America :salute
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #449 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:31 AM »
I don't know why you keep linking articles from a banana republic, do you think if you lived there and had a gun you would start a rebellion?  :lol

Cindi lets be honest, you are already afraid and paranoid in one of the best and safest countries IN THE WORLD and "need a gun to protect yourself"

Your ass would fucking melt down mentally before you took it to the streets to engage in combat and fight the government :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2018, 02:40:36 AM »
You can't even keep you cool here, you think you could fight a war. SMH.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2018, 02:42:49 AM »
I find it disgusting how the media uses these situations to take actual victims of this to propagate an anti-gun narrative when we KNOW that the FBI received a warning about this kid and did nothing with it.

So do you want the state to be more aggressive in disarming citizens or nah?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »
https://amp.businessinsider.com/ap-venezuelas-maduro-seeks-to-expand-armed-civilian-militias-2017-4

Arming loyalists. Hmm. Trusting the state...

:nope

Wanna know why you don’t trust the state? It’s a pendulum. We went from Obama to Trump. Thankfully there are checks and balances. America :salute
There are a lot of scared families in Caracas, and a lot of grieving loved ones. Venezuela boasts many unhappy superlatives: with an annual total of around 20,000 homicides (the government refuses to release accurate statistics) the country competes yearly with half-a-dozen other unfortunate places for the world’s highest murder rate; there is reported to be one firearm in circulation for every two citizens, making Venezuela the most weaponised environment on earth; and every year there are, according to the police, at (the very least) 2,000 kidnaps for ransom nationwide.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/taking-no-prisoners-in-the-kidnap-capital-of-the-world-on-the-streets-of-caracas-with-an-elite-8872390.html

Nola

« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:00 AM »
Is it a characteristic of the left to sound so weak? Goes hand in hand with the victim complex.  “You couldn’t win” “they’d get squashed”. Jeez. It’s like you haven’t paid attention to the the past half century. Never mind that some weapons is definitely better than no weapons.

You just got done listing off all these moments in American history where the right to bear arms did jack shit for the people being victimized, and you are lecturing everyone else about not being realists? Think about it for a minute.

I think most people are fairly understandable about individuals like yourself, in the context of our current environment, perhaps seeking guns for personal protection. I think the evidence doesn't really agree with you on that, but I get it. But it gets a bit ridiculous once we cross over into the fantasy realm of an armed insurrection in modern society against your own government. Which isn't an invading force, its a force that knows the landscape and internal dynamics better than you do.  This government has drones, nukes, armored vehicles, and the greatest military the world has ever seen. Not to mention half the populace that is going to be the on-the-ground informants for any sort of civil war. Because after all, those tyrants are not getting to power in this country without mass support.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2018, 02:53:12 AM »
Wanna know why you don’t trust the state?

Wanna know why you don't trust the indidual? Because instead of locking the guns in a safe until they need them to resist tyranny, they take them out and use them to blow off steam by killing kids.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:56 AM »
Yes but what if the government decides to do a holocaust 2.0 you got to be ready I mean Carter Reagan Bush Clinton Bush Obama Trump is basically hitler so it can happen any moment

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #457 on: February 16, 2018, 03:21:32 AM »
here's a shiny Nixon Supreme Court appointee in 1991
this adjective choice is making me uncomfortable

*reaches for a gun*

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #458 on: February 16, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »
Cindi, are you ok? You've been hysterical for days.
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #459 on: February 16, 2018, 03:27:34 AM »
User was warned for: using GamerGate type terminology regarding feemales

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #460 on: February 16, 2018, 03:35:13 AM »
You kinda walked into that one, Shosta.
serge

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #461 on: February 16, 2018, 06:58:47 AM »
Cindi, are you ok? You've been hysterical for years.

ftfy
MMA

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #462 on: February 16, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
as an outsider, i can't think of a single way that gun ownership has somehow safeguarded your liberties and numerous ways in which it has made your day to day life more claustrophobic and insular. what did your m4 do to prevent the NSA going through your dirty undies with wanton disregard?

i mean i get that loading up a pickup with military hardware and burning it out to the desert to unleash hell on tin cans and water bottles is the american dream. i'd love to own a gun and think they're cool. thank christ i can't though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:44:30 PM by headwalk »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #463 on: February 16, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
Thoughts, Cindi? 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #464 on: February 16, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Cindi is acting like she believes someone that's a part time BJJ enthusiast can walk into a dojo or whatever and throw down with a full-time, professionally trained master. GOOD LUCK.
yar

Himu

« Reply #465 on: February 16, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »

I don’t know anymore.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #466 on: February 16, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
Cindi is acting like she believes someone that's a part time BJJ enthusiast can walk into a dojo or whatever and throw down with a full-time, professionally trained master. GOOD LUCK.

What do you mean
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #467 on: February 16, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
i'd love to own a gun and think they're cool. thank christ i can't though.
newsfeed
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #468 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Apparently the FBI screwed up protocol and missed the reports on the guy.

and the white supremacist militia story was a 4chan hoax

good job america

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #469 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »

What do you mean

Do you seriously think you (a relative firearm noob) are going to throw down with a master (the US army or even just cops) if it comes down to it? I'm all for you having the right to protect your person from harm but let's get real here.
yar

Himu

« Reply #470 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
Apparently the FBI screwed up protocol and missed the reports on the guy

:rejoice the state :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #471 on: February 16, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »

What do you mean

Do you seriously think you (a relative firearm noob) are going to throw down with a master (the US army or even just cops) if it comes down to it? I'm all for you having the right to protect your person from harm but let's get real here.

1. I shoot at ranges and am a good shot. At my first gun lesson i nearly got a bullseye with a .40 SW. That was just lesson one. A big part of “gun culture” is actually mastering the weapon by shooting on a regular basis. FYI American police have lax range standards and most police do not take their guns to the range often. I guarantee that if you had a police Vs civilian range contest the police would lose.

2. The idea that if the American government waged war against its citizens that a portion of the military would disobey that order and join the rebellion is ludicrous.

3. I am not a beginner.

None of your argument fits reality about the situation. Gun owners are more than hobbyists. You have to clean your gun, know how to shoot well with it, and learn basic safety. When you believe it will save your life, you are not lax with knowing how to use it.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #472 on: February 16, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

What do you mean

1. I shoot at ranges and am a good shot. At my first gun lesson i nearly got a bullseye with a .40 SW. That was just lesson one. A big part of “gun culture” is actually mastering the weapon by shooting on a regular basis. FYI American police have lax range standards and most police do not take their guns to the range often. I guarantee that if you had a police Vs civilian range contest the police would lose.

2. The idea that if the American government waged war against its citizens that a portion of the military would disobey that order and join the rebellion is ludicrous.

3. I am not a beginner.

None of your argument fits reality about the situation. Gun owners are more than hobbyists. You have to clean your gun, know how to shoot well with it, and learn basic safety. When you believe it will save your life, you are not lax with knowing how to use it.

Have you had combat training? Lol, gtfo with your nonsense. Jesus, talking to you is the same exercise in futility across literally any topic. All of life is Shenmue with you.
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #473 on: February 16, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »

What do you mean

3. I am not a beginner.

Have you had combat training? Lol, gtfo with your nonsense. Jesus, talking to you is the same exercise in futility across literally any topic. All of life is Shenmue with you.

Way over the line, dude. You can’t take that one back.
serge

nudemacusers

« Reply #474 on: February 16, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »

sorry but what... you realize people in the military have things called families and communities and often live outside of military bases themselves... gonna be a difficult drive to work in the midst of all this slaughter just so we can all arm up and mow down our neighbors.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

shosta

« Reply #475 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
the police do it every day
 :paul
每天生气

nudemacusers

« Reply #476 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
 :leon :ohhh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #477 on: February 16, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
Apparently the FBI screwed up protocol and missed the reports on the guy.

and the white supremacist militia story was a 4chan hoax

good job america

Most importantly, what does Alex Jones have to say?

shosta

« Reply #478 on: February 16, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
actually Alex Jones said they were child actors again
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #479 on: February 16, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
probably gay trans alligators

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]