Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4179777 times)

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #480 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
Man on the moon was awesome. Jim Carrey :heart

He should go back to do good movies.
Drunk

Greatness Gone

« Reply #481 on: February 21, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
Bubble Boy - Gyllenhaal's acting achievement. His career pretty much peaked with this.

Taken - ...

cool breeze

« Reply #482 on: February 21, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
I saw Yes Man last night.  It sucked.  Zooey Deschanel plays the same character in every movie.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #483 on: February 21, 2009, 05:26:53 PM »
I watched Kingdom of Heaven last night. It was pretty good, but Orlando Bloom did his best job to ruin it.  was there a reason he smiled so often? and the character himself wasn't that believable. A lowly blacksmith turned powerful knight-cum-secular-humanist?  ::)

« Reply #484 on: February 21, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
Anyone seen The Class yet? It came out yesterday in Seattle and we're gonna see it tonight.

Shattered Glass

Pretty interesting story imo, which I wasn't familiar with. It's basically about a New Republic writer who makes a career off faking his stories, which eventually ruins him.

But I gotta say: Hayden Christensen is like the worst actor ever, seriously. This is the type of role that wins people oscars and his entire...essence is wooden as fuck. He acts like he's got a brick of coke lodged in his ass, causing him to calculate even the slightest movement lest the bag bust, resulting in fatal OD; next time you're at the airport keep an eye out for an up tight black or hispanic female, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The way he delivers his lines is also weird. But as I was telling my brother, it kinda meshed with the character. I could totally imagine this journalist being a socially distinguished mentally-challenged home school victim type person.

Moral of the story: don't tell lies :teehee 

My wife and I saw Shattered Glass on our first date back in 2003. I actually think Hayden Christensen did a good job at playing Stephen Glass. Glass in real life is a very fidgety and creepy individual, so the performance worked well. Peter Sarsgaard was the best part of the movie, and was robbed at the Oscar's.
野球

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #485 on: February 21, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »

very disappointing, and uninteresting in every single way. i didn't care for any of the characters (dying), the villain was just plain boring and there wasn't much of a plot, either, i felt. and all the scenes taking place in the headquarters (with m) felt so unnecessary and distracting. it's basically a bunch of chase sequences cut together into a 90 minute film. not even the action sequences were good.

basically, bourne trilogy > this
zzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #486 on: February 21, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
I added this to Netflix

I probably won't watch it, but it has Nick in it so A+

fat

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #487 on: February 21, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
The Gods Must Be Crazy II

I am pretty awesome, I know.

:bow

ch1nchilla

« Reply #488 on: February 21, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »
My (super low) expectations were blown away by how awesome The International was.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2009, 10:49:34 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaser_(film)

i caught this with my girlfriend over the weekend and it was pretty awesome.  she wasn't a fan of the violence, but it was largely implied and careful editing to make it look a lot more violent than it actually was.

[youtube=560,345]EkqczsLZd1I[/youtube]

Plot summary

Eom Joong-ho is a former police officer turned pimp, and several of his girls have gone missing. One night he gets a call from a customer and sends Min-ji, one of his few remaining girls. Later he realises that the same customer was the last to see the missing girls, and believing that Min-ji might be in danger, goes to look for her. While searching for her he dents another car in an alley, and when he sees blood splattered on the unharmed driver's shirt, he senses that the man, Je Yeong-min, is the suspect. Yeong-min tries to run away, but Joong-ho catches him, and both men are taken to the police station.

At the police station, Yeong-min confesses to the murder of the women, and says that his last victim, Min-ji, may still be alive. But despite his confession, the police have no evidence to imprison him, and cannot detain him for more than twelve hours. As the police search for the bodies of his victims, Joong-ho is the only one who believes that Min-ji is still alive, and must find her before the killer is released.
Tonya

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #490 on: February 23, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
Punisher War Zone

:-X

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #491 on: February 23, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »
Mulholland Drive - hot naked woman ok, what happened in the movie though?
well, the first...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
60% of the movie was the imagined and ideal scenario of the Naomi Watts character.  She couldn't live with the guilt of killing her girlfriend and dreamt up a reality in which they were both still together and happy.  That alternate reality somehow actually existed and intersected with the "real" stuff that happened in the latter part of the film.  That there's some multiple planes of reality that bleed over to each other was confirmed by the diner guest and his discussion of his nightmare that immediately became real.  This is why there was so many fantastical touches and overall weird shit in the first half of the movie
[close]
That's what I've got.  I could very well be extremely wrong though.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
The Truman Show

Wow, great movie, and creepily prophetic in terms of the onslaught of reality TV shows today. And not only that, the exaggerated media influence in people's lives also reminds me of current television. I thought Carey was pretty good in the movie from the more humorous instances to the more dramatic parts as Truman's entire world begins to crumble.

4/5

Gone Baby Gone

My enjoyment of the movie was kinda dampened. I remember hearing there was a "twist" at the end so I wound up watching the movie in anticipation of some outrageous ending. And while the ending was rather unpredictable to me, it was less ending than the moral/social questions raised.

This is a very, very suspenseful movie, to the point my heart was pumping constantly smh. I didn't like the unraveling of the "twist" which seemed kinda rushed to me. But the buildup to the end game was great, and carried along by some great performances. Especially Amy Ryan who was the kidnapped girl's mother, a pretty unlikable character imo. I dunno, she just seemed so damn authentic, maybe because I've met mothers like that before, from friends to family members. In fact the entire film feels authentic and real, and the city of Boston truly comes alive as a character of the movie - like New York in a Scorsese movie.

Also I found this really eerie: the little girl who gets kidnapped in the movie looked almost identical to Madeleine McCann, who went missing last year. That's something that really put a knot in my stomach.

4/5

(Casey Afflek :piss2)

Greatness Gone

« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »
Mulholland Drive - hot naked woman ok, what happened in the movie though?

Lynch's best work. Maybe my favorite movie ever besides Xanadu or To Die For or Eyes Wide Shut.

<3 <3 <3

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
Saw The Wrestler yesterday.

Marisa Tomei :drool
zzzzz

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #495 on: February 25, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »
I had nightmares about hobo's for months after watching Mulholland Drive.
brb

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »
16 Blocks

The one where Bruce Willis plays a cop getting Mos Def across town to the courtroom so he can testify.  Meanwhile the other cops try to stop them because he's going to testify against one of them.

Pretty neat action flick that has a good pace, good story, and has a couple of little twists at the end to keep things interesting.  I really enjoyed it.  8/10

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2009, 07:08:17 AM »
Mos Def is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.
brb

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »
Saw Taken last night. Thought it was pretty good. I think your opinion of it might be closely tied to what your opinion of the Bourne movies are.
___

Robo

« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
I watched 24 Hour Party People last night and now I'm sitting at work gettin' my groove on to the Happy Mondays and Black Grape. :rock
obo

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
that movie is so funny.
is there a word for a false nostalgia for a thing you never experienced?  that's what the movie invokes in me
Tonya

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
that movie is so funny.
is there a word for a false nostalgia for a thing you never experienced?  that's what the movie invokes in me
Haha the movie made me feel the same way.

drew

• sy
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »

a great remake, i highly recommend you watch some of the earlier movies first if you havent already, lots of fan service in here.  ignore complaints about the kills being lame.  friday the 13th has never been a horror movie that focuses on that like that trash Saw.  i think it was a good idea to not base the movie on camps / counselors again.  ps:  the tits in this movie are markedly worse than the old films, not surprising, but disappointing

saw this after all the other ones (just finished it actually)  crazy mom brings the lulz.  and finally i understand why jason hates young good looking people having fun/sex.  because he drowned while the camp counselors were probably out fucking doggystyle in the woods or something lol

the sexiest film of the franchise no doubt.  includes full nude skinny dipping shots, a girl that wears a cutoff t and hotpants that are just asking for it.  i cant decide whether i like this one or 3 the best

aka Jason Vorhee's barn of death.  a great sequel.  jasons distinguished mentally-challenged fellow strength is unveilied at one point during one of the last kills :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he ends up with an axe in his forehead @ the end of this movie, how the fuck he magically comes back i dont know, i still need to watch the 4th one
[close]

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
I'm leaning towards seeing Watchmen when it comes out. I don't know if Alan Moore would put a hex on me, though...  ???

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:39 PM »
watched Role Models.
was funny, i liked it.
nat

Greatness Gone

« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
Watched Memento again (on blu-ray this time) because I haven't see it in about 4 years.

Nolan's best film. Probably his most enjoyable, too. And young Guy Pearce is <3

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2009, 11:59:36 PM »
We just watched Religulous - LOVED it.  If Lost wasn't coming on right now, I'd play it again with the commentary.  Great film.
Tacos

Dickie Dee

« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2009, 12:22:08 AM »
Wow, I'd actually forgotten that Nolan made Memento by this point. Loved that movie and it fully delivered on it's gimmick.

My fav movie of his is still Insomnia though. Nothing I don't like about that movie and proves that a modern day Al Pacino is still worth the the O2 he breaths.
___

Bebpo

« Reply #508 on: February 26, 2009, 12:41:36 AM »
Saw Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist tonight.  Man, it had some really nice cinematography; especially the city shots.  Between that and the awesome soundtrack it was like NYC the movie, which is kind of cool for someone like me who lives on the west coast.  The main girl was adorably cute.  But it's also a horribly depressing movie if you are single  :'(

Tucah

« Reply #509 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »
watched Role Models.
was funny, i liked it.

Yeah, I also just saw Role Models, liked it more than I thought I would.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #510 on: February 26, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »
watched Role Models.
was funny, i liked it.

I'd like to invite you two to join the Zanthian Army.   :dur
:)

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #511 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »

My fav movie of his is still Insomnia though. Nothing I don't like about that movie and proves that a modern day Al Pacino is still worth the the O2 he breaths.

seen the original?
Tonya

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #512 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
watched underworld 3

kinda of pointless movie since they go over the events in the first AND second movie.
decent action, rhona mitra is pretty hot too
nat

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #513 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
watched Role Models.
was funny, i liked it.

I'd like to invite you two to join the Zanthian Army.   :dur

Never! My allegiance will always lie with the country of Kissmyanthea!

cool breeze

« Reply #514 on: February 26, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »
Blade Runner the final cut blu-ray

it's been a few years since I saw any older version of it, so I couldn't pick out the differences; nevertheless, awesome movie. 

Dickie Dee

« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »

seen the original?
No would like to though.

yeah, nolan's insomnia is shit. the original is amazing amazing amazing. i've said this many times before but hillary seitz, who wrote the screenplay for the remake, did NOT understand the original movie. the changes made to the script are so revealing of his ignorance, especially in the last act. there was a reason why things happened the way they did in the original - there was an inevitable logic to the consequences of the character's moral choices and the only reason for the eventual emotional impact on the viewer was the grim ending... which was turned upside down in the remake; without it the movie loses all of its meaning!

nolan's direction is also lacking: the constant unnecessary flashbacks and the flashy editing add nothing to the movie and are simply distracting. i found robin williams to be a bad choice for the killer too, even though i liked him as the "bad guy" in one hour photo. i just didn't buy his act here.
Mamacint annihilated
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
History of Violence

Meh on every level. It felt like a bad play. The story of a family being threatened by outside forces is as emotional a core you can get, yet this entire film feels extremely wooden and detached. The acting isn't believable, and the violence is extremely ugly. I realize it tries to portray violence in a way that's not spiced up, but come on - a Coen film does that. This was just sloppy, and wanting to be "realistic" is no excuse.

2/5

Wait Until Dark

Very suspenseful movie that caught me off guard. While it's great overall I gotta say this movie has some scenes so bad they become awesome. Alan Arkin is awesome as a psychopath attempting to recover a heroin stuffed doll from a blind woman. Audrey Hepburn is fucking HOT but her portrayal of a blind woman is kinda laughable. The title is fitting towards the end of the movie as it feels like you're witnessing events through the eyes of a blind person.

4/5

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2009, 12:58:29 AM »
Just saw Street Fighter. Was hoping for laughs, but all I got was an hour and a half of cringe.
zzzzz

Cheebs

« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »

Wait Until Dark

Very suspenseful movie that caught me off guard. While it's great overall I gotta say this movie has some scenes so bad they become awesome. Alan Arkin is awesome as a psychopath attempting to recover a heroin stuffed doll from a blind woman. Audrey Hepburn is fucking HOT but her portrayal of a blind woman is kinda laughable. The title is fitting towards the end of the movie as it feels like you're witnessing events through the eyes of a blind person.

4/5
Wait Until Dark is awesome. Watch Charade, its Hepburn's best movie. It's a very good Hitchcock like movie with her and Cary Grant. One of my top 10 movies of the 60's.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
charade really is one of her best films

that rotates between roman holiday, sabrina and this one.

absolutely love aubrey.

:heartbeat
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #520 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
Ben Hur - Long.

The best part is that I now get the reference in the episode of The Simpsons about the film festival.
🍆🍆

Cheebs

« Reply #521 on: February 28, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
charade really is one of her best films

that rotates between roman holiday, sabrina and this one.

absolutely love aubrey.

You are awesome. Great movies! :heart

CHARADE!!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #522 on: February 28, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
So fuckin hot. Maybe hot isn't the best word. GORGEOUS

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #523 on: February 28, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »

You are awesome. Great movies! :heart

CHARADE!!

[/quote]

"how do you shave that bit right there?"

Tonya

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #524 on: February 28, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
History of Violence

Meh on every level. It felt like a bad play. The story of a family being threatened by outside forces is as emotional a core you can get, yet this entire film feels extremely wooden and detached. The acting isn't believable, and the violence is extremely ugly. I realize it tries to portray violence in a way that's not spiced up, but come on - a Coen film does that. This was just sloppy, and wanting to be "realistic" is no excuse.

2/5

The violence was great, the story was engaging, and the acting, aside from the kid and the "bully" was great also.

Great movie, and viggo completely owns. So  :piss Pd

And why do you give a score? lol Afraid no one will read your post otherwise?  :P

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »
Just took my kid to see Bolt at the dollar theater in the local mall. It was charming, right up until the end when some idiots decided to try to get their autistic daughter to leave the theater early. The movie was decent family stuff, though. And on a technical note, it's really quite amazing how far CG technology has come.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
History of Violence

2/5

The violence was great, the story was engaging, and the acting, aside from the kid and the "bully" was great also.

Great movie, and viggo completely owns. So  :piss Pd

And why do you give a score? lol Afraid no one will read your post otherwise?  :P

The story is good, but everything surrounding it is bad. The wife's acting was poor

The score was horrible too. I like Howard Shore but omg, it sounds like LOTR b-sides

Enl

« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Sounds like someone isn't familiar with Cronenberg. Nearly all his films have that cold, quiet, and shallow style.
mmm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
I have nothing against cold films in general, but it just doesn't work in History of Violence...at all. The story itself is pretty emotional and human but it's presented very oddly

Cheebs

« Reply #529 on: February 28, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
Just watched Across the Universe, won't lie, I cried.

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #530 on: February 28, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »

dude, you'd be all over it if it'd won oscars smh
zzz

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #531 on: February 28, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
cheebs annihilated

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #532 on: February 28, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
the only subtext PD gets is gay subtext.

I'm just razzing ya man.  Try catching ExistenZ.  Its seriously fucking awesome.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #533 on: February 28, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »
Back to Hepburn--

I think she's gorgeous and all, but I'm sorry, I still say the best looking actress of all time is:

Grace motherfucking Kelly.  That scene where they introduce in in Rear Window is just omg
püp

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #534 on: February 28, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

I cry too whenever someone butchers the Beatles' music.

Solo

« Reply #535 on: February 28, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »
Rewatched The Aviator and The Departed for the first time in a while. WHERE AM LEOS OSCAR (especially for Howard Hughes)?

Greatness Gone

« Reply #536 on: February 28, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »
The Departed was zzzzzz.

I liked the part where Nicholson pulled out a black dildo in a theater though.

Solo

« Reply #537 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
I love The Departed, but Id by lying if I didnt say that I find more problems with it every time I see it.

As I recall, the dildo was total improv on Jack's part  :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #538 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
The Aviator was fucking awesome.  The true piece that deserved an Oscar for Scorsese  :'(
püp

Solo

« Reply #539 on: February 28, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Well, if we're gonna play that game, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull or Goodfellas is the correct answer. But between the two, yes, I agree that Scorsese should have won for The Aviator over The Departed.