Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178623 times)

seagrams hotsauce

Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #30540 on: May 16, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
Oh I meant to mention it here and I guess I forgot, but I watched 15:17 To Paris a couple weeks ago, which was exactly what I was hoping for and then some. The stunt casting was bad and the poor guys could barely handle the pretty simple material they were handed. The best part is probably the beginning though, which covers how the trio met in middle school. The main character is portrayed as being obsessed with war since a child, dressing in fatigues every day, playing literal war games with his buddies, and getting extremely excited when his teacher brings in old plans from WWII battles. Y'know, totally normal, no-red-flag raising behavior from a 10 year old. In one scene, two of the kids mothers are called in to a teachers meeting, in which the teacher condescendingly mentions how the kids might be having trouble in school because they're coming from single parent households. Pam from the office gets incredibly indignant at the suggestion that she wasn't capable of raising her son on her own. A few minutes later, there's a scene of her son showing off his collection of airsoft guns to the other kid, culminating in the grand jewel of his collection, a real, loaded shotgun. At no point does the movie see any problem with this.

Anyway, the kid grows up and enrolls, as was his lifelong dream, only to miss the chance at the job he wants and washes out altogether, continues to kind of stumble along until deciding he wants to backpack through Europe with his buddies, and eventually winds up on a train with an AK wielding lunatic. The whole thing is so weird. Rarely do you see a movie that's attempting it's subject, yet inadvertently manages to make them look like kind of a lifelong loser.

As enjoyable as the mess was, I do feel kind of bad for the guys acting. It's a very alluring offer, and honestly as rough as Clint Eastwood has been in recent years he should really have known better. You could possibly pull this off if they weren't on screen for the majority of the movie - maybe if they were just playing themselves in the main action scene - but you can't get around that given the story (or lack thereof)at hand.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #30541 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »
Forgot I could post shit about this.

Solo:

It was way better than it has a right of being given the lead talent and rocky start. Some very forgettable setup and disappointing story dressing here and there.  All I know is that this story cemented Lando as secretly the best character of the Star Wars universe, like he wasn't before...

If you get a chance to see this in a new Dolby Cinema featuring Dolby Vision/Atmos check it out! There is a super cool effect during the movie that was dope as all fuck. One of the cooler things I've experienced in a theater over the years. Though in a few weeks I'll be seeing a Pixar joint in a experimental LED theater.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:37:55 PM by G The Resurrected »

etiolate

« Reply #30542 on: May 17, 2018, 02:39:41 AM »
I don't think it's fair to expect comic book movies to have A-class action scenes. The books they are based on have always been a pulp fiction stew, alittle bit of everything thrown in. Romance, drama, action, sci-fi, tropes, social issues, etc. Never really leaning heavy on any one aspect.

No fan of romance or drama movies goes into these movies expecting them to deliver some kind of resonance. But these movies are still going to pay homage to that aspect of comic books.

I'd say my issue with the flaw I pointed out was that they were trying to splice in a higher craft action scene into the basic Marvel action setup. It's like they knew what they were doing was run of the mill and still tried to toss in some more interesting setup but couldn't commit to it and just fucked up the whole thing. It honestly would have been better if they fought at a waterfall where the whole thing ends up. Yes, that's predictable and generic but it's not as jarring because the audience sort of recognizes the attempt vs the execution.

etiolate

« Reply #30543 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:44 AM »
Have you watched A Young Marx?

Gosh darnnit.  I haven't seen it. I hope it has these young prodigies of Marxist thought.

curly loves these kids

Says they're doing fine with the whole manifesto enterprise. Just oughta yell at Stalin a bit more. We didn't mean *this* much anti-national identity and private property or any class other than the dirt poor and starving proletariat that we made into an angelic superbeing!

You silly kids.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:03:34 AM by Great Rumbler »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #30544 on: May 17, 2018, 03:54:03 AM »
Actually I did see Death of Stalin last week and it was really good.

Borealis

« Reply #30545 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
Saw Deadpool 2 and felt mixed about it overall. The script is meandering from the get go, a bit of a mess that times drama, humour, and both combined rather poorly.

The visual jokes that do land are laugh-out-loud good, but they're exceptions to fairly lame and pedestrian dialogue ones that are far too common and prone to misfire. Some of the them will definitely age poorly
spoiler (click to show/hide)
who the fuck is Dave Matthews? and why dubstep references?
[close]

Also, the CGI at it's worse truely resembles a PS2 opening cutscene, I couldn't believe it. The moment it happens,
during a chase sequence,
[close]
was Scorpion King levels of bad  :o

Brolin once again nails the acting, in stark contrast to the Kiwi kid. Was disappointing to see
both Colossus and Negasonic with rather reduced presences. And no, the LGBT relationship wasn't "groundbreaking" at all, they played it for laughs.
[close]

Didn't go in with much exceptions, the first film is a watch-it-once affair before becoming unbearable, buuuut this felt parts unnecessary save for Cable.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #30546 on: May 17, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
who doesn't know dave matthews are you 12

"ugh this is a bad joke who the hell are this beatles group they talk about"
dur

Borealis

« Reply #30547 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »

??? I know who he is, point is: the reference jokes are constantly thrown in and totally misfire. Like
the dubstep, Uber, and Biebs etc.
[close]

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #30548 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Dammit, I hate when I'm being pandered to but still fall for it anyways. That looks pretty great, I hope it does well.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #30549 on: May 17, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

??? I know who he is, point is: the reference jokes are constantly thrown in and totally misfire. Like
the dubstep, Uber, and Biebs etc.
[close]

Yeah, i can't imagine anyone under 25 at this point knowing who Dave Matthews is.  Their mega hits are 3 decades old, and the only people that still show up to their shows are 30-40 year olds that never stopped going to their summer tours since college.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #30550 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
Yeah I can't believe that trailer actually interested me.  If you'd just told me the premise I'd have never wanted to see it.

Bebpo

« Reply #30551 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
I'm 36 and I know who Dave Matthews Band is, but if you asked me to name a song they did  ???

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30552 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:59 AM »
Deadpool was fun. I went in with no expectations beyond dumb quippy meta shit and boy oh boy did it provide on that

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #30553 on: May 18, 2018, 05:10:19 AM »
I'm 36 and I know who Dave Matthews Band is, but if you asked me to name a song they did  ???

Dave Matthews Band is referenced (by name) in scenes in Lady Bird, Community, this Niel Cicierega remix:

Anyone who hasn't been exposed to any of those three pieces of media is dead inside. Deadpool sucks though.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #30554 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
THE SPACE BETWEEN the tears we cry IS THE LAUGHTER THAT KEEPS US COMING BACK FOR MORE

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #30555 on: May 18, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Black Panther was just another typical marvel movie that I will never think about again. And holy shit at the awful CGI.
Oi Oi

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30556 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
Who's got their claws
In you my friend
Into your heart I'll beat again
[/color][/size][/b]

Bebpo

« Reply #30557 on: May 19, 2018, 04:52:05 AM »
I keep seeing people bitch about the CGI in Black Panther but I didn't notice anything. Looked the same as CGI in every movie.
CGI in movies is like my 30fps/60fps thing. I just can't tell the difference between bad CGI/good CGI and it's never like "this CGI was so bad it took me out of the movie and I enjoyed the movie less"

I mean, have you seen modern Japanese CGI in live-action? The worst Hollywood film's CGI looks 10x more realistic. Hollywood CGI does not bother me at all.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #30558 on: May 19, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
Deadpool 2:

Went in knowing nothing and left disappointed. The movie was all over the place and you could tell the reshoots just by the crappy cgi. As someone who loved the first film I felt it lost its soul and went for a more 4th wall breaking approach. It didn't work at times and at other times was overly sappy, characters were shit too! A little exposition into Cables back story with his future self and a flashback of Domino would have rounded out that movie a bit more.

Bonus scene spoiler
Fuck them for not putting in DP killing baby hitler. That scene was funny as shit.
[close]

paprikastaude

« Reply #30559 on: May 19, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
I was in the mood to rewatch Edge of Tomorrow, which still is super fun. A shame that they couldn't be more inventive at the end though, it's so generic. This time I could barely hold my attention once the "gimmick" of the movie stopped.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:23:29 AM by filler »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30562 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »

kingv

« Reply #30563 on: May 20, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
Deadpool 2:

Went in knowing nothing and left disappointed. The movie was all over the place and you could tell the reshoots just by the crappy cgi. As someone who loved the first film I felt it lost its soul and went for a more 4th wall breaking approach. It didn't work at times and at other times was overly sappy, characters were shit too! A little exposition into Cables back story with his future self and a flashback of Domino would have rounded out that movie a bit more.

Bonus scene spoiler
Fuck them for not putting in DP killing baby hitler. That scene was funny as shit.
[close]

I ended up liking it by the end, but the first 30 minutes or so was way too serious. I feel like they missed the mark starting it the way they did. But once the movie started really rolling, and they sort of abandoned the serious parts, it improved a lot.

Domino was awesome in the movie. Not really all that true to her personality in the comic books, but I liked her in the movie.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30564 on: May 20, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJMN6IK?tag=thbo09f-20

just watched, i recommend

Really like Ayako Fujitani in The Man from Reno, so I'll eventually watch this.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30565 on: May 20, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJMN6IK?tag=thbo09f-20

just watched, i recommend

Really like Ayako Fujitani in The Man from Reno, so I'll eventually watch this.
from the same director/writer too, but a different type of movie

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30566 on: May 20, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
I saw From Up on Poppy Hill this morning - it was slow paced and extremely grounded for a Ghibli film. Nice atmosphere, makes me even more eager to take my trip over to Japan in September. Not one of the best Ghibli movies but enjoyable all the same, if you want a sleepy, but charming, post-war slice of life film. Great and memorable soundtrack, too!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:53:12 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #30567 on: May 20, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
Deadpool 2 - A lot more misses than the first and I was kinda worried in the first 45 mins or so because the first half is pretty consistent misses until Cable shows up. After that point it's about on par with the first and has misses and hits and there's just enough hits in the jokes and scenes to make it a more good than bad movie. In a lot of ways it felt like a middle franchise movie, just kinda introducing Cable/Domino and getting it setup for part 3 which is hopefully Cable & Deadpool based. While it's a far out there possibility, because it's so ridiculous, I hope in Deadpool 3 they do the Bodyslide by Two story concept of them basically being linked together so whenever Cable teleports Deadpool shows up with him from whatever he was doing (like showering or stabbing someone) and vice-versa. That was a really funny comic run and the best Deadpool/Cable dynamic I've read yet in the comics.

Domino was really great and Brolin's Cable is pretty spot on by the end.

Things I liked in the movie:

Introducing all these shitty D-tier X-force characters and potentially ruining the chance for the X-force movie to have a good lineup
...and then killing them all in the next scene loooooooooooool, that was amazing. Still hoping for a Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force lineup for X-force movie. Would be really cool to get Jackman's Wolverine in.
[close]

Comic accurate Juggernaut was great and a nice surprise since I hadn't been spoiled. Always nice to see more legit tier comic characters in these movies.
[close]

Domino was awesome in the movie. Not really all that true to her personality in the comic books, but I liked her in the movie.

My impression of Domino from the comics is that she's a terrible angsty jilted love interest of Cable character. Her movie version is so.much.better  :lol

nudemacusers

« Reply #30568 on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »
Wanted(2008) - Decent premise, some cool action bits, but overall just kind of ehh and a bit ugly at times (both in terms of tone and visual taste)... also james mcavoy's english regular dude accent is incredibly bad/weird.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #30569 on: May 21, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
Jesus. You need to ask my permission before you watch films in the future nudemac

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30570 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
Wanted(2008) - Decent premise, some cool action bits, but overall just kind of ehh and a bit ugly at times (both in terms of tone and visual taste)... also james mcavoy's english regular dude accent is incredibly bad/weird.
I liked the movie just fine, right up until the use of bomb-rats in the finale. I was fine with curving bullets, and flipping cars horizontally, but the bullshit rat brigade was too goofy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30571 on: May 21, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
Deadpool 2 was great fun.

Might've been better than the new Avengers lol - the acting certainly was
[close]
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #30572 on: May 22, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
We talked about Grand Budapest Hotel in this thread recently. Me with a friend:
"Hated that movie."
"What? I loved it."
"A lot of people did and I don't get it."
"You have to be white."

I think this is actually true  :doge
每天生气

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #30573 on: May 22, 2018, 04:28:48 AM »
All those Wes Anderson films tend to be a little too smug in artifice for my taste. For me that reached its peak after The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic.

I'm not saying there isn't anything to enjoy out of his films or that I hate them (and I actually liked Budapest Hotel a lot for one his films) but I didn't quite like them at the level of praise they received.

That being said, I have a hard-on for a long period of Woody Allen films, so I understand having a strong attachment to the particular style of a director that other people might find a little pretentious and uses casting gimmicks.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #30574 on: May 22, 2018, 07:58:43 AM »
We talked about Grand Budapest Hotel in this thread recently. Me with a friend:
"Hated that movie."
"What? I loved it."
"A lot of people did and I don't get it."
"You have to be white."

I think this is actually true  :doge

When I started watching it I wasn't white, but by the time it finished I was full-on white

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30575 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »

i like that they went sorta fast and furious with this series and just made it all absurd while playing it completely straight, and they've still wound up with better spycraft hijinks than the crappy first three ones

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30576 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #30577 on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
Death Wish 2018

The movie would be good if it wasn't for Bruce Willis atrocious acting. Why the fuck is this prick still employable anyway, he's obviously phoning it in on every movie I've watched with him the last decade or so. It's kind of strange because in this movie he seems like he kind of tried but apparently he has forgotten how to act. They had Vincent fucking D'Onofrio and decided to cast Bruce Willis as the father, Jesus Christ....

Aside from that the editing and pacing were also a little weird and at times below average. Overall the movie wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either, definitely watchable though imo.

Tasty

« Reply #30578 on: May 22, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »
Bruce Willis sucks.

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #30579 on: May 22, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
Since then there have been a shitload of people confirming what a complete asshole this man has become. He seems like he's only "acting" the last ~10+ years for the money and hates everything about it.

Btw the new Kevin Smith stand-up is out, Silent But Deadly. It's not as good as the old ones.

Tasty

« Reply #30580 on: May 22, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
Since then there have been a shitload of people confirming what a complete asshole this man has become. He seems like he's only "acting" the last ~10+ years for the money and hates everything about it.

Btw the new Kevin Smith stand-up is out, Silent But Deadly. It's not as good as the old ones.

I'm a disgusting Kevin Smith fanboy so all Smith is good Smith to me. 👌🏻

Except Jersey Girl, obviously.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30581 on: May 22, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #30582 on: May 22, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
Jesus. You need to ask my permission before you watch films in the future nudemac
? If you think I don’t like edgelord films you are mistaken. wanted was the spike tv ‘uncensored’ of edgelord films, all sheer lingerie and sideboob but no pulsing interiors of mechanically gaped sex organs.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #30583 on: May 22, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
I'd also be an asshole to such a blubbery, unprofessional, shitty writer and director like Kevin Smith who fucks up shots because he doesn't understand camera lenses despite making movies for 25 years and also doesn't know how to shoot scenes.

So there's this thing called a cinematographer...

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30584 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
but they aren't good on his movies either

Bebpo

« Reply #30585 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
Ok, that’s pretty funny, but Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy were good Smith & friends film making by the seat of their pants. That kind of filmmaking is what I wish I could do with my friends.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #30586 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
Mallrats and Chasing Amy were not good
每天生气

nudemacusers

« Reply #30587 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
kevin smith is a creator for whom i have to be in a very specific mood/state of mind to enjoy their work.

takashi miike is in the same boat.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #30588 on: May 23, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
Perfect
Clerks (1994)
Dogma (1999)

Awesome
Chasing Amy (1997)

Good
Mallrats (1995)
Clerks II (2006)
Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008)

Watchable
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
Red State (2011)

Garbage
Jersey Girl (2004)
Cop Out (2010)
Tusk (2014)
Yoga Hosers (2016)

Tasty

« Reply #30589 on: May 23, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
I'd also be an asshole to such a blubbery, unprofessional, shitty writer and director like Kevin Smith who fucks up shots because he doesn't understand camera lenses despite making movies for 25 years and also doesn't know how to shoot scenes.

So there's this thing called a cinematographer...

The main thing that made Bruce Willis be a dick to Smith was he asked what lens was on the camera for a specific shot so he knew how big or small to take it, and Smith had no idea and therefore couldn't give direction to his actor. This being on a $40M movie with a pretty major movie star, with Kevin Smith showing up to work in crocs and jorts, high,  and telling dick jokes every day, Willis had zero respect for him and made it clear. And Kevin Smith, the director and guy in charge of the whole project, is a weak binch who couldn't get control of his actors.

This fuck didn't even know if he was shooting a wide shot or not. After 9 movies.

I mean on a shoot there's also coverage, where multiple cameras with different lenses and bodies are used at different angles. For someone shooting as freestyle as Smith does, I don't see an issue with delegating that particular responsibility. *shrugs*

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #30590 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
Deadpool 2 - best cape shit of the year by levels. Enjoyed it a bunch.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30591 on: May 24, 2018, 02:43:45 AM »
Kevin Smiths best movies kinda suck. The stories are simple, the jokes are puerile, they're technically awful, the acting is horrible. He has a real knack for certain dialogue though, which is what makes Clerks still on-HBO watchable to me. Maybe I'm biased due to spending and embarrassing amount of time in a local comic shop located next to a Wallaces, though

nudemacusers

« Reply #30593 on: May 24, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
Hopefully solo bombing means I don’t have to hear about Star Wars for a while  :-X
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30594 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
Hopefully solo bombing means I don’t have to hear about Star Wars for a while  :-X

Well, until next year.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #30596 on: May 25, 2018, 12:31:57 AM »

This is what Johnny Depp's career has come to? This dude blew through all his cash.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #30597 on: May 25, 2018, 12:36:17 AM »
Thoroughbreds- I thought this was going to be a dark comedy but it's more like a thriller. An ok indie thriller flick.

The main actress in this is smoking.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30598 on: May 25, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »

This is what Johnny Depp's career has come to? This dude blew through all his cash.

No, THIS is what Depp's post-cash career came to:

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #30599 on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:03 PM »
Watching Dogville for the first time

If there was ever a film that showcased Lars's misanthropy, its this. And I'm with him. You can place the message of this film in many ways in modern culture. Especially when placed alongside a womans take in conflicts to a mans. R.Kelly, Chris Brown, Weinstein, Cosby,  Most NFL players. And yet they call him, Lars Von Trier, a misogynist.  They havent watched Dogville. But in their defense, almost three hours of a jarring stageplay would turn many people off.

Although Grace's relationship with Tom is suspect. The male hero. Still watching.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:23:52 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9