Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140861 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #39840 on: November 24, 2021, 12:14:49 AM »
When you're looking for a movie and it's NOWHERE (including torrent sites) except some random guy on Amazon selling a dvd for more than 100€ (+ shipping). :fbm

Whatever happened to art preservation?  >:(

Paying a dvd of a movie you don't even know if it's good, 100€, would be like buying a GPU right now, i just couldn't live with it.

Come on don’t be coy, what movie?
Happened more than once.
Latest one i was looking for was this.

Back in the day i used to go to a little shop where i ordered dvd from, made things easier in a way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185000299448
EDIT: No longer available. Sorry.

Found one: http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/Simon-the-Magician-DVD-105442.htm
Another: https://dvdlady.com/dvd/simon-the-magician-1999-with-english-subtitles-on-dvd/
Spud

Sman

« Reply #39841 on: November 24, 2021, 12:42:02 AM »
When you're looking for a movie and it's NOWHERE (including torrent sites) except some random guy on Amazon selling a dvd for more than 100€ (+ shipping). :fbm

Paying a dvd of a movie you don't even know if it's good, 100€, would be like buying a GPU right now, i just couldn't live with it.

Wild guess here...

Catherine: The Naked Queen

:-*

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39842 on: November 24, 2021, 09:13:56 AM »

Happened more than once.

Back in the day i used to go to a little shop where i ordered dvd from, made things easier in a way.

Potato got you, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a video rip tucked away somewhere in the internet archive.  I’ve found an obscure movie or two there sometimes when nowhere else had it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39843 on: November 24, 2021, 12:54:51 PM »

Happened more than once.

Found one: http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/Simon-the-Magician-DVD-105442.htm
Another: https://dvdlady.com/dvd/simon-the-magician-1999-with-english-subtitles-on-dvd/
Thanks, will try the second link (won't let me open the first one, for some reason).  :hump

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39844 on: November 24, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »

Wild guess here...

Catherine: The Naked Queen

:-*
No, but here's a movie suggestion for you:
Dog Lay Afternoon (1976).
If the title of this Italian masterpiece doesn't convince you already, here's the synopsis:
A young girl witnesses her mother having sex with the family dog. When her father finds out, he burns the dog alive. She is so traumatized by these incidents that she later turns into a nymphomaniac.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The actual movie is actually pretty tame sexploitation, tbh.
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #39845 on: November 24, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
mamma mia!
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39846 on: November 24, 2021, 08:16:39 PM »

Happened more than once.

Thanks, will try the second link (won't let me open the first one, for some reason).  :hump
First one is 4X the price anyway.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #39847 on: November 25, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »
Bruised. Halle Berry's done a MMA movie. It's basically a poor version of The Wrestler. It doesn't have any of that film's depth, and it's exactly what you imagine a Halle Berry MMA movie would be.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39848 on: November 25, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
Bruised. Halle Berry's done a MMA movie. It's basically a poor version of The Wrestler. It doesn't have any of that film's depth, and it's exactly what you imagine a Halle Berry MMA movie would be.
Halle Berry...has there ever been a more hyped actress that didn't deserve the attention?
Spud

Quaker

« Reply #39849 on: November 26, 2021, 12:02:13 AM »
Halle Berry...has there ever been a more hyped actress that didn't deserve the attention?
Jessica Alba. I don't think she ever came close to a good performance? I can't even give her credit for Sin City.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #39850 on: November 26, 2021, 02:54:32 AM »
It's hard to be taken serious when you're that gorgeous sadly. I can't imagine her having been offered roles where she wasn't meant as eye-candy. They barely make decent roles for women as it is, it's not like back in the old days.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #39851 on: November 26, 2021, 07:06:18 AM »
Halle Berry was excellent in those films where she got her babylons out :snob
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39852 on: November 26, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »

Angelina Jolie.  At her best she’s okay, but usually just comes off as detached and uninteresting in her performances.  She’s like the precursor to Kristen Stewart.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39853 on: November 26, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »
It's hard to be taken serious when you're that gorgeous sadly.
Plenty of gorgeous actresses are taken seriously.
And she had a couple of more "serious" roles, like in that Awake movie (usually a good example of Anakin being a shit actor, but works for her, too).
Although she's probably passable and if you consider Brad Pitt, he had some real stinker performances early on (Seven, Interview with the Vampire) but turned it around, so i wouldn't judge her on a couple of bad performances.

I would say Natalie Portman is strangely consider amazing, but i don't find her performances to be that compelling.
She was an amazing kid actor in Leon, but never really evolved much from that, didn't even like her as Jackie Onassis.
She cries iconic tho, so that's a plus for her.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39854 on: November 26, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
Natalie portman was absolutely fantastic in V for Vendetta and Annihilation.

I blame crappy writers and directors ( :lucas) more than I blame her :idont
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39855 on: November 26, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »
I think she's very one-note.  :yeshrug
Not awful by any stretch, obviously.

« Reply #39856 on: November 26, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »
Yoko Ono has TWO scenes where she screeches/shrieks as part of a musical number in two episodes (so far) of Get Back.

It's the aural equivalent of being Yoko Ono.

Good job including that crap, Peter J. I have decided both Ono and Jackson owe me personal apologies.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:42:03 PM by Sideshow Raheem »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39857 on: November 26, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
The world literally would have been better off without Yoko Ono.
Spud

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39858 on: November 27, 2021, 10:09:38 PM »
lmao @ still being salty over yoko in 2021 :heh
dog

Snoopycat_

« Reply #39859 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »
Watched the 1st part of The Beatles thing. Initially it was pretty fuckin amazing. Especially seeing Get Back just start to form out of nothing. By the end of it I was losing the will to live. Seeing them all rehearsing was great but I can't take another 6 hours of Don't Let Me Down. I think I'll just download the last episode and fast forward to the rooftop concert stuff. As for Yoko. She must've had the patience of a saint to sit through all that. It probably drove her mad with boredom and that's why she spent the next decade screaming.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39860 on: November 29, 2021, 04:28:46 AM »
lmao @ still being salty over yoko in 2021 :heh
I mean, world would have been better off without the Beatles too, but Yoko was a bigger net negative.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #39861 on: November 30, 2021, 08:20:09 PM »
The Many Saints Of Newark. Being a big Sopranos fan I wasn't sure what to make of it. There's a few nice throwbacks like Uncle Junior telling Tony he'd never be a varsity athlete. It's all just a bit weird. It doesn't fit in with the show. Focusing on Moltisanti instead of Johnny Soprano was a mistake. As a fan I wanted to see him and Junior in action, not some guy who was barely ever mentioned in the series. If this is part of a planned series then great, maybe it'll eventually make sense. If it's a one off then it was a real waste.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #39862 on: December 01, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »
there's not really much to show of Johnny cos the series firmly establishes that he was nothing more than a goon. the whole film felt like a massive waste of time to me that added little to the  canon other than 'you never guess what, Christopher's dad was just like Tony :titus'

also wasn't Silvio meant to be a similar age to Tony and one of his childhood not like 10 years older and had nothing do with him?
(ice)

Snoopycat_

« Reply #39863 on: December 01, 2021, 08:47:09 PM »
I liked the guy who played his dad in the series. That scene where he explained to Tony why he had to cut that nice butcher's fingers off was great. And that's why you should never gamble Anthony.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39864 on: December 02, 2021, 06:50:29 AM »
I don't think you guys are giving Yoko Ono enough credit as a visionary, because moaning about how shit the world is while staying in bed is 21st century activism in a fucking nutshell.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39865 on: December 02, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
I don't think you guys are giving Yoko Ono enough credit as a visionary, because moaning about how shit the world is while being a millionaire and staying in bed is 21st century activism in a fucking nutshell.
FTFY
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39866 on: December 04, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #39867 on: December 04, 2021, 11:12:06 PM »
The animation is so good in that last bit with 2099.

Plus it's 2099!

Can't wait for this. Hopefully Part two is like the next year and not like 2-3 years later kind of thing.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #39868 on: December 05, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39869 on: December 06, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »

:neo
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #39870 on: December 06, 2021, 06:29:56 PM »
 8)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39871 on: December 07, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »
Watching all the old Spider-Man movies with my daughter in preparation for the new one.

Oh man, Toby McGuire is such a bad actor.

Also Spider-Man 3 is a pile of shit movie. In fact, it's a franchise killing movie.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:55:13 AM by Potato »
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #39872 on: December 07, 2021, 11:02:24 PM »
Yeah, most people hold the Raimi trilogy very near and dear to their heart, and Spider-Man 2 is cool, but Toby is  :yuck and always made it hard to love the films.

I still haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 but I liked Garfield a bit better. I thought he did a good Peter Parker in the first one.

Current Spider-Man's the best, but he's still kind of lame one-note, but then again Spider-Man as a comic book character is often lame one-note so.....

Not sure if Uncharted kid whose name I can't remember anymore will have the range to do older story arcs Spider-Man since his acting seems kinda not great, but oh well.

Best Spider-Man was Jake Johnson's version from Spider-Verse. Miles pretty good too. Both the movie and the Insomniac version. Heck regular Spider-Man was pretty well done in the Insomniac version until they fucked up his character model.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39873 on: December 07, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »
Raimi trilogy is rough as hell these days.

I had only seen 1 and 2, but they were awful to watch now that the special effects have aged so badly and can't paper over the pretty large cracks in every other area of the film.

Having never seen 3, I was curious to see if people's criticisms were valid...and boy were they ever.

Toby McGuire is unlikeable as Spider-Man even when the intention is to make him likeable. Also, they tried for way too much fan service and stuffed way too many characters in...which I believe is one of the reasons Raimi stepped away.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39874 on: December 08, 2021, 02:29:33 AM »
You MF had the balls to call that Cowboy Bebop shit decent, and shit on Raimi's Spiderman?  :beli

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39875 on: December 08, 2021, 02:35:46 AM »
I dare you to go watch Raimi's trilogy and not feel the same way.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39876 on: December 08, 2021, 03:41:14 AM »
I watched them a couple of years ago, they're still the best superhero movies around, this side of Burton's Batman.

They have great action, humor and personality.
The fuck is "dated" about them? Even the cgi effects hold up well enough, considering they're 20 years old (Star Wars prequels aged worse than them for example).
And they tap into that "childish" quality of superheroes, better than any other attempt that came after.
3 is messy for the reasons detailed extensively (Sony wanting to force Venom in) and arguable unneeded (since 2 concluded everything well) but it still has memorable scenes in it.

Unless you hate Raimi's sense of humor, i can't understand how you could prefer that bland-fest that Sony produced just so they wouldn't lose the rights.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39877 on: December 08, 2021, 04:57:48 AM »
Maybe we like different things, but Raimi-man is trash in my book.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39878 on: December 08, 2021, 05:58:49 AM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39879 on: December 08, 2021, 06:36:21 AM »
You Aleister Crowley:-*
No, but thanks to you I have Ozzy Osbourne stuck in my head now!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 08:22:22 PM by Potato »
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #39880 on: December 08, 2021, 12:49:45 PM »
Sorry, I have to say it: Toby Maguire is fucking great casting for creepy weirdo living with his aunt that nobody particularly likes Peter Parker.

Bebpo

« Reply #39881 on: December 08, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
I watched them a couple of years ago, they're still the best superhero movies around, this side of Burton's Batman.

They have great action, humor and personality.
The fuck is "dated" about them? Even the cgi effects hold up well enough, considering they're 20 years old (Star Wars prequels aged worse than them for example).
And they tap into that "childish" quality of superheroes, better than any other attempt that came after.
3 is messy for the reasons detailed extensively (Sony wanting to force Venom in) and arguable unneeded (since 2 concluded everything well) but it still has memorable scenes in it.

Unless you hate Raimi's sense of humor, i can't understand how you could prefer that bland-fest that Sony produced just so they wouldn't lose the rights.

I think they're well directed and Sam Raimi is a great director.

I just don't like Toby Maguire in the role. Or in any roles. He's like Marky Mark as an actor that makes me enjoy films less when they are in them.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39882 on: December 09, 2021, 02:29:45 AM »
I understand that with Marky Mark at least.
Although he was great in I Heart Huckabees. :thinking
So maybe there's a perfect role for any actor, out there.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39883 on: December 09, 2021, 04:02:36 AM »
Super heroes being hidden in plain sight is something Marvel  forgot about with their celeb heroes.

For Nolans Batman it worked because it was part of his cover. Spider man doing press conferences with his aunt is just laughable.
🤴

Snoopycat_

« Reply #39884 on: December 09, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »
The Mule. Clint Eastwoood's latest. I switched it off very quickly. Not because it seemed bad, but because I couldn't stand to see Eastwood looking so old and frail.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39885 on: December 09, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
The Mule. Clint Eastwoood's latest. I switched it off very quickly. Not because it seemed bad, but because I couldn't stand to see Eastwood looking so old and frail.
Damn. He'll be one of the only celeb deaths where I'll feel some sort of emotion. Him and David Attenborough.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #39886 on: December 10, 2021, 09:19:11 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39887 on: December 10, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »

:whoo
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39888 on: December 10, 2021, 05:55:18 PM »

You should definitely avoid watching Cry Macho, then, because he's 3 years older in that.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #39889 on: December 11, 2021, 12:33:19 AM »
Have you ever watched a movie for the first time w/audio commentary?

Gonna watch Citizen Kane for the first time (I know, I know) and I feel like on its own it'll probably be an old slow boring movie for my tastes, but if I watch it with audio commentary I'd appreciate/enjoy it more from a historical point of view. I guess I'll see if I start falling asleep. I find it really hard to watch anything pre-1970s. Too ADHD.

Bebpo

« Reply #39890 on: December 11, 2021, 02:43:45 AM »
Ok, that was actually pretty good (duh). I guess I have a misinformed view that most old movies are pretty slow, but Citizen Kane was actually pretty quick paced even by modern standards. I mean it's a less slow artsy film than Green Knight for example.

Visually the movie was really cool. Loved all the lighting staging and the performances, especially Welles were excellent. Very enjoyable film and doesn't feel too dated.

I feel like the closest performer to Kane Orson Welles is Dicaprio today.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #39891 on: December 11, 2021, 04:28:53 AM »
Give Andrej Tarkovski's filmography a try if you love fast-paced cinema.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39892 on: December 11, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »
Also check out Stray Dogs (2013).
A guy stares at a wall in silence for, like, 15 minutes.  ;)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Genuinely beautiful movie though.
[close]

I think plenty of pre-70's movies are very easy to follow and fast paced.
Especially when they are under 90 minutes, they need to get to the point quick.
Like a Bergman movie is dialogue wall to wall and it's usually quite short (by modern, obnoxious, 150min movie standards).

Some have this idea that you just watch those older movies out of filling up the cultural landmark quota, but something like Day of Wrath is genuinely amazing to watch today.
The interrogation of the old woman is not gut wrenching "for the time", it's gut wrenching. Period.
Cinema is a more mature artform than something like videogames, so its technical evolution, it's not as much of a barrier to the artistic merits and depths you can find in older works.
Similar to what happens with literature (though to a lesser degree, because cinema is still beholden to a technical framework), you wouldn't think twice about not reading a book from 30, 50, 100 years ago, because it's "outdated".

Either way, unless you're genuinely diagnosed with ADHD (and then there's medication), i think the idea of low attention spam is a form of habit.
I love slow burns, but when i consume a bunch of junk entertainment for a while, i can feel my attention span decreasing, until i "clean" up and ease back into it again.
This is true for more complex videogames, harder to listen music, etc etc.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39893 on: December 11, 2021, 12:50:44 PM »

:lawd
©@©™

« Reply #39894 on: December 11, 2021, 02:48:27 PM »
Remember when Marvel/Disney bamboozled the weak minded into thinking Black Panther and Captain Marvel were important and that schoolkids needed to see them to feel empowered?

Imagine being a teacher on a class trip to see a mediocre superhero movie because everyone's been duped into believing it's somehow educational...

Bebpo

« Reply #39895 on: December 11, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »
I didn't really watch any "classic" films growing up, so it wasn't until my cinemaphile days and then I was checking out stuff like The 7th Seal and 400 Blows and I just got turned off of "classics". They were good but I was also pretty bored.

I watched about 1/3rd of Hitchcock's catalogue (Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest) and they were all right. I guess I should check out Vertigo since apparently that dethroned Citizen Kane in a lot of greatest films of all time lists recently?

Also seems like a good time to watch Fincher's Mank. I'm so backlogged on Netflix originals I still haven't gotten to that but probably should be the next movie I watch not that I'm familiar with Kane and the creators. Read the essay that came with Criterion's new 4k Citizen Kane after the film last night and it was pretty informative on the history of the film critically and the the staff/Welles. There's a BBC documentary on the disc about Welles and I might watch that too since it's pretty interesting from a historical perspective.

Orson Welles was pretty much before my time. Until yesterday I only knew him as the voice of War of the Worlds, a cameo in The Muppet Movie and that he made Citizen Kane and is dead at this point in time. Learning about him is pretty interesting. Also pretty crazy watching Kane and seeing him young at 25 since the only visual impression I'd had of Welles was his old larger beareded self.

The essay made it seem like his documentary F for Faking in the 70s is really good and still worth a watch. Might check that out at some point. Another film for the backlog...

Bebpo

« Reply #39896 on: December 11, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »
Similar to what happens with literature (though to a lesser degree, because cinema is still beholden to a technical framework), you wouldn't think twice about not reading a book from 30, 50, 100 years ago, because it's "outdated"..

With literature its a bit different. I think the stories and story-telling of old books holds up, but the prose/verbage of the time makes classics/old books pretty unenjoyable for me to read. Even when I was in school I did not enjoy English class and reading all those classics. They basically felt like work. I think my favorite was Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

But then I was reading stuff like Dune (1960s) and Hitchiker's Guide (1980s) just fine. I find post-war/hippies/60s onwards in entertainment easier to digest.

Bebpo

« Reply #39897 on: December 11, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
But I guess I'll give Criterion's release of The Red Shoes a shot when it comes out in 4k next week. Reviews are pretty raving for the film/transfer. Hopefully it holds up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39898 on: December 11, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
Watched Dark Waters on Netflix, had been meaning to for a while but it's not the type of movie to watch with friends.

Quite a shocking story to say the least and we're still using Teflon today.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #39899 on: December 12, 2021, 03:43:51 AM »
Bebpo my opinion, fwiw, is that randomly jumping into classics it's probably just gonna feel jarring and leave you confused.
That's why i mentioned getting used to that kind of language and style, gradually.

Also side note, but Seventh Seal is probably my least favorite Bergman (of those i've watched, about 20 or so films, from him), i think Wild Strawberries is a better entry point and a better example of his usual style, if you ever want to give him another chance.

I never went to film school nor interacted with any film lover growing up, i discovered "artsy" cinema mostly on my own as a teen, watching basically stuff at random that looked cool, until i had access to the internet and could look up more stuff.
In my (limited) experience, it's good to choose a director, and select a small selection of films from them (i usually stick to 4) and then increase or decrease based on how you feel about them (though unless you absolutely hate them, i'd try to at least go through 2).
And if you can, ask which is a good entry point into their filmography, and start from there.

Keeping on with the Bergman examples, Persona is probably one of the highest rated pictures from him, but it's very abstract and a terrible starting point.
You have to ease into things.

I think when you get more used to it, you learn to appreciate the hypnotic quality of slower movies.  :trumps