Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558735 times)

a slime appears

• retro king
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29400 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
Better get on buying another Baby Pac-man if you haven't already. Need another machine to gut for replacements.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29401 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Baby Pac Man is pretty bad, the maze has like no flow whatsoever... neat concept but not terribly exciting to play.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29402 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
I played Abzu

Abzu fucking sucks

More indie shit
XPOST for RELEVANCE

I played about an hour of this last night.

Someone played ThatGameCompany's Journey, and said "Yeah, but instead of a desert, what if it was wet?"

It's pretty. It controls alright. There is not a bunch to do in it. :shrug

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29403 on: May 15, 2017, 08:48:09 PM »
I played Abzu

Abzu fucking sucks

More indie shit
XPOST for RELEVANCE

I played about an hour of this last night.

Someone played ThatGameCompany's Journey, and said "Yeah, but instead of a desert, what if it was wet?"

It's pretty. It controls alright. There is not a bunch to do in it. :shrug
Makes sense, considering the team they built:
Abzű's creator, director and art director Matt Nava had previously worked as art director for Journey during its three-year development. Having worked in a game featuring a desert setting, Nava wanted to change to a more vibrant and populated setting for his next title. [...] Nava's love of the ocean, which he explored through his hobby of scuba diving, also figured heavily in the design of Abzű. The team at Giant Squid Studios grew to ten developers from across the industry, mainly programmers who specialized in multiple aspects of game design from gameplay to graphics, in addition to a graphical and technical artist who helped create and animate the character models.

From Nava's profile on their site:
With Giant Squid, Matt hopes to create an artistic atmosphere where he can collaborate with talented developers to make games that build on and expand his vision of deeply immersive and meaningful experiences.
Rather missing the point, I guess, since Journey's meaning came from interacting with strangers.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #29404 on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:05 AM »
Better get on buying another Baby Pac-man if you haven't already. Need another machine to gut for replacements.

I lucked out - the MPU board is an Altek universal board already.
rub

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29405 on: May 17, 2017, 04:25:16 AM »
started playing Tales from the Borderlands bc it's free on psn and good god damn this game is fantastic. played thru damn near the whole thing in under a day. like so far pretty much every single scene has been great and memorable. I almost want to go grab the handsome collection and replay b2 when this ends.

Yea its a pretty good Telltale game and Borderlands game (story wise). Also the musical choices for each episode (starting from 2 and onwards) are pretty fucking awesome :noah

I really hope its integrated in Borderlands 3 or whatever it will be.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29406 on: May 18, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
Been playing some games on my new FM-TOWNS Marty. Namely Tatsujin 2, Lesser Mern, Galaxy Force II with a killer remixed soundtrack, and Pu Li Ru La.
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29407 on: May 20, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
anyone play elder scrolls online? i played the first mission and uh wow the game looks rough. like the animation looks like an early ps2 game. no sub fee tho so I'll keep going for awhile, and see how the world map is.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29408 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
I liked Lost Odyssey a lot but combat being fast and dungeons being short is NOT how I would describe them...
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29409 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
I wanted to love Lost Odyssey but I just couldn't. The writing was spectacular and I have think a thing for veiny boobs, so it should be right up there in my list of top games of forever. But the combat was just so DAMN SLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW. I remember I installed it and timed the seconds it would take from the moment I triggered a random encounter and the time I was able to put in the first command and it was something like 11 seconds. And then the attacks each took several seconds each. Each fight was several minutes. I couldn't deal with the immense slog it all was.

I was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma. And I think I might just be at a place where I just put it down for a while. It's just too uneven. The last 2 chapters were really like "breeze through the level. Oh look here's a boss. You're not going to be able to hit it once before it kills you." So in essence it feels like it's just a game where you have a bunch of filler then have a boss that you have to try again and again until you destruct it, learn the pattern then move back to filler. With Bayonetta when I fought a boss I always felt like I could get close and if I died it was because I wasn't good enough yet. With this game I feel like you die until you figure out the patterns and that's more important than playing well.  Maybe if I had more time for gaming I'd be fine with it. But I don't really want to spend that much time with filler - boss - filler game with little to no story.

Anyone got a recommendation for often missed PS3 games?

Also slapped Mother 3 on my phone. It's another Mother game, relying mostly on its charm. Having played Undertale last year I think I might be sated already on this kind of game, but we'll see.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29410 on: May 22, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
Lost Odyssey is great. Go for the 1000, enjoy the hunt for that one - final - treasure that you missed SOMEWHERE
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29411 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »

3D Dot Game Heroes
Folklore
Puppeteer
Valkyria Chronicles
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #29412 on: May 22, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
Afrika and Aquanaut's Holiday are also interesting PS3 exclusives.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29413 on: May 22, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »

3D Dot Game Heroes
Folklore
Puppeteer
Valkyria Chronicles
Out of those I've only missed Folklore. But that does remind me, I should take out Valkyria for a stroll again. Man that was such a great game. Too bad about the sequel
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29414 on: May 22, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
Obscure PS3 games:

Tokyo Jungle
Mamorukun Curse
Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2
Under Defeat
about a billion Atelier games
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29415 on: May 22, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
just get Tron Bonne on PSN
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #29416 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:30 AM »
Folklore is great game that more people should play.

Bebpo

« Reply #29417 on: May 23, 2017, 02:30:01 AM »
I never played much of it, but it looked neat.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29418 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:02 AM »
Folklore is great game that more people should play.

Store says it's "disc only," seriously WTF? In this day and age?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29419 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
It doesnt even have trophies, it's OG as fuck
fat

CrankyJay

« Reply #29420 on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
Put over 100 hours into BOTW on Switch, and sort of burnt myself out on Mario Kart after 2 weeks.

I have the new Kingdom Hearts remaster for PS4 since I never played those games before.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29421 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »
Nier:A is great

The english voice of 9S  :uguu

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29422 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:50 PM »
Bought that Mordheim Warhammer Fantasy tactical game.
Could be really neat, but it starts rough. Feels janky. Looks like WHFB though, so I'm in for a bit.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29423 on: May 27, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Rime is a pretty great ICO/PoP-like. Worth grabbing on sale at some point if you like environmental platform puzzle games. It's also just really goddamn pretty.
zzzzz

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29424 on: May 28, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
Just got back from my friend's house, was playing his new (old) Amiga 500. Turrican 2 and Chaos Engine are pretty awesome. Turrican 2's soundtrack especially hits the spot for me. He's been having some trouble getting the system and the CF card mod to work entirely right so we haven't played too much. But I'm eager to explore the library since I didn't grow up with this system and don't have much familiarity with its library. He also has a CD-32 but the only game he has is some kinda dull overhead shooter with no music (seriously, MOD music is the best part of the Amiga!) called Alien Breed.

We also played with his Genesis Everdrive:
-Twinkle Tale is a fun little overhead run and gun, kinda reminiscent of Elemental Master. Decent music too, I highly recommend giving it a shot..
-Undeadline is another overhead run and gun, it feels like a much more challenging, and not as good, Elemental Master.
-Crack Down is a weird game, the action is confined to a small window in the bottom right corner of the screen, sprites are extremely small too. It's an overhead game where you plant bombs throughout a maze and try to escape in time. It reminds me a lot of Gain Ground actually but not as good.
-Starflight was some lame space trading game with an extremely clunky interface that I didn't get very far with (I don't like these kinds of games)
-Gleylancer is a cool Japanese-only shmup made by NCS/Masaya. Not a terribly innovative game but it's got excellent graphics, music, and balance making it one of the better non-Thunderforce shmups on the system.
-Two Crude Dudes is a side scrolling beat em up that's sort of reminiscent of Bad Dudes (it's also a Data East game) in that post apocalyptic NYC overrun by punk looking dudes that Double Dragon made famous. The sprites all have a real chunky, boxy look to them, and you can pick up and throw enemies. It's a bit faster paced than Bad Dudes or most beat em ups. Recommended if you like these kinds of games.
-Bubba and Stix is a platformer that kinda reminds me a bit of Greendog but a bit better. Graphics look very cartoony.
-Also played some Speedy Gonzales game with a horrible framerate (seriously, shouldn't a game about Speedy Gonzales be fast?), but had some fantastic sprites/animation in the intro.
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29425 on: May 29, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
Playing Fallout 4, so cool you can load mods on xb1

Bebpo

« Reply #29426 on: May 31, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »
FYI, Danger Zone, aka Crash Mode from Burnout by the ex-Criterion heads is out for $12 and the entire studio is dependent on how it does. Made by 6 people over 3-4 months, it's 20 crash junctions with leaderboards. I bought it to do my part and because crash mode in burnout was fun as hell. Hopefully it sells enough to keep them afloat.

Here's an interview by Alex Ward about a month ago talking realistically about what their studio can and cannot do:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-26-the-creators-of-burnout-are-making-a-crash-mode-spiritual-successor-called-danger-zone

So Danger Zone is good, but it's extremely bare bones in gameplay & presentation. It's all about landing that first crash, exploding and flipping towards a crashbreaker powerup that will give you a second explosion -> repeat towards a 3rd or 4th powerup and time it right on each explosion to cause the most destruction either smashing into cars for big points or blocking roadways to cause crashes. It plays like the Burnout 3 Crash Mode, so once you explode you get to move a little in the air but then you stop unlike Burnout Paradise where you can keep rolling and rolling like a wrecking ball (I really liked that). It's solid, but it's so short and barebones and short leaderboard pick up and play that it absolutely feels like a mobile game. For the $12 they're asking it's enough for the money, but yeah would be nice if they can get the funds to do something more than a 3-4 month dev period project.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #29427 on: June 01, 2017, 05:10:41 AM »
Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Absolutely the funnest multiplayer shit you can do in VR. I've done upwards of 5-hour sessions in the headset without breaks. You know you've got a good crew when they start getting all racist on the Vulcan crewmembers. It's like Star Trek larping without the embarrassment of actually being there

archie4208

« Reply #29428 on: June 01, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
Fire Emblem Echoes is pretty good.  It has some systems I'd love to see in FE:Switch.  Most notably the ability to rewind turns and not restart an entire map if one of your dudes dies.  I also like the town system, dungeons and crafting.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29429 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
Playing Fallout 4, so cool you can load mods on xb1

Really should have bought this while it was on sale, what a dope

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29430 on: June 02, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »
Been playing a ton of Borderlands 2, finished true vault hunter mode. Just started my third playthrough.

Also played some Tekken 7 with lyteedge, which was awesome!
What

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #29431 on: June 04, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
I just finished the part of the Witcher 3 where you do the trial of grasses and then set off to rally your allies. I'm wondering how much of the main story do I have left? I've just been farting around the White Oaks and Novigrad countryside going to every undiscovered location on the map since I don't want to finish it yet.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29432 on: June 04, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »
You're quite a few steps away yet. And besides, there are still the expansions, unless you've already done those.

The end begins in earnest once you're going for the Wild Hunt itself.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29433 on: June 04, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
Just beat the 5th dungeon and made it to October in P5. About 75 hours in so far. Waifued Ann, but
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wanted to waifu Makoto but I need to have level 5 charm to do that
[close]

I love the dungeon design in this game but am not a fan of the stat-raising. It seems to take longer than it did in 3/4, you can't do shit at night since you're always having to go to bed early, there are now 5 stats instead of 3, and some of the S-Links are locked unless you have your stats level 4 or 5.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29434 on: June 04, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
Re-playing STILL more GTA5 singleplayer on PS4. I've realized that many of the things I didn't see in my 360 playthrough were probably broken at game launch. Franklin's cab company purchase and its associated "special fare" mission were broken, that's well documented. Calls to Trevor from Martin's elderly wife didn't happen, but her emails arrived, I think. There are lots of small notes that add to the overall story experience.

It's also gorgeous. As much as I raved about Watchdogs 2, GTA5 does a better job of representing the southern california environment than WD2 does of San Francisco. Something about the sky, the air quality and the depth of visibility, how colors and saturation shift in the distance, and the depiction of mountains, hills, rocks… well, Rockstar nails it perfectly. No knock on the WD2 effort, which probably didn't cost $200M to develop.

HOWEVER, jesus, speaking of Ubisofting, Trevor's submarine mission to get all the toxic waste, and AGAIN with Michael and a dinghy to search for sunken submarine pieces, this is just a tremendous amount of time-wasting, un-fun, exasperating tedium. I remember thinking "NEVER AGAIN" when I did the 360 version, and I should have kept to that; instead, I'm kinda looking at that Platinum Trophy and thinking, I like this game well enough that I want a full-completion, and that little OCD demon is sitting on my shoulder, nodding.

archie4208

« Reply #29435 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:34 PM »
About to face
Emperor Rudolf
[close]
in Fire Emblem and this plays.

[close]

H Y P E
Y
P
E

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29436 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:04 PM »
About to face
Emperor Rudolf
[close]
in Fire Emblem and this plays.

[close]

H Y P E
Y
P
E

Ah, the Hype L, Inverted: rarest of the text Tarot.

archie4208

« Reply #29437 on: June 05, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »
I finished Echoes last night.  It's a pretty good game if you're a Fire Emblem fan.

+The storyline.  It's vanilla, but it isn't offensively bad as some more recent games (especially Fates Conquest)
+Really well paced due to dungeons and towns providing a break between endless battles.  It's fairly short, too (a hair under 30 hours).
++Some of the best voice acting I've heard in a game.  Whoever voiced Berkut deserves an award.
++++++++Mila's Turnwheel.  Easily the best quality-of-life feature added in a Fire Emblem game.

~Average maps.  Nothing is offensively bad, but nothing is quite memorable either.

-Combat is simplitic compared to modern titles.  There isn't much room for customization compared to Awakening and Fates.

If you like the Fire Emblem franchise then it's worth playing, otherwise you can give it a pass.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #29438 on: June 05, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
Playing Vanquish PC. Holy shit this game rules so hard.
zzzzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29439 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door -- still best Mario rpg

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29440 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »
Finished Firewatch

that last act was some  :neogaf :comeon :gurl :beli shit

Enjoyed the interactions with the MC and the lady although all the profanity was kinda killing it since it just felt fucking forced after a while.

Need to continue TitanFall 2 and Persona 5

Bebpo

« Reply #29441 on: June 05, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Playing Vanquish PC. Holy shit this game rules so hard.

:rock

Yeah, to date Vanquish is still my favorite TPS of all time. It's so intense, challenging and fun. Basically like a modern day TPS Shinobi or Gun Valkyrie.
I'll pick up the PC version someday to replay it.

Bebpo

« Reply #29442 on: June 06, 2017, 01:45:29 AM »
So I picked up Steins;Gate on Vita for $3 before my last vacation and started reading it on the plane. 3 chapters in (this game is fucking loooong) and reading it each night before bed and this is the greatest VN I've ever seen. Like outside the handful of cringe Japan bits, the writing is ridiculously entertaining because of the main character's schtick. I'm laughing a lot at some of the situations/dialogue. On top of that it's an interesting sci-fi mystery thriller.

I used to hate VNs, but this may be the first one I enjoy despite it's ungodly huge length (I swear your average VN if printed into a book would be the size of two GRRM novels combined, which is insane for your average "I wanna bone my sister" VN out of Japan; like who the fuck wants to read that much).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29443 on: June 06, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
I didnt like it at all until about the end of Chapter 5, then it finally takes itself seriously and it gets a lot better. I just used a guide for the EZ plat.
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29444 on: June 06, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »
the first scene where they're at some goofy presentation on time travel got on my nerves. does it get less corny after that?
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29445 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
There's lots of death and blood and waifus and super sexy hacka Daru.

Could use more super sexy hacka Daru.
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29446 on: June 06, 2017, 10:08:15 AM »
sounds...uh...well I'll get to it when I have time
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29447 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Started playing Witcher 3; haven't played any of them up until now. Something tells me it's a neverending game. :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29448 on: June 06, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »
Like I said - it gets super cringe and stupid with all the dumb dialoge from the main character. But then a scene happens around the end of Chapter 5 or so and then it shifts tone and becomes more serious bizness.
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29449 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
Started playing Witcher 3; haven't played any of them up until now. Something tells me it's a neverending game. :doge
You can dump 80+ hours into it, easily, but much of that are sidequests. The main quest is pretty girthy itself, but I went complenionist on it so I don't know how exactly. HLTB says 47 hours for the main quest, 10 for Hearts of Stone and 17 for Blood & Wine (both great DLCs).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:13:36 AM by Rufus »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29450 on: June 06, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »
I've put about 10 hours into Tales of Berseria, and it seems pretty good. I haven't really serious played a Tales game since Vesperia. I played a couple of hours of Zesty, but it bored me.

Blade girls with demon claws, tho. Consume me, Velvet-oneesama. :lawd :uguu
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #29451 on: June 06, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »

I have about 130 hours all told doing a lot of the side quests, and both expansions.
nat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29452 on: June 06, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
You can dump 80+ hours into it, easily, but much of that are sidequests. The main quest is pretty girthy itself, but I went complenionist on it so I don't know how exactly. HLTB says 47 hours for the main quest, 10 for Hearts of Stone and 17 for Blood & Wine (both great DLCs).
Got them all in one package during the Steam sale. Not gonna rush to play it, it'll be here and there. But I'm enjoying it so far. Haven't played anything on Steam in ages.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29453 on: June 06, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
guys I reinstalled Diablo 1 and this game still rules. too bad my mana doesn't regenerate so I don't know what to do with my wizard now that I ran out of potions.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29454 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
I always played a knucklehead warrior for this reason. :B

Purple Filth

« Reply #29455 on: June 06, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
Bought and played a few matches of Friday the 13th last night. Got my refund processed this morning.

What a mess that game is.

Finally fixed the server issues?

Bebpo

« Reply #29456 on: June 06, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
the first scene where they're at some goofy presentation on time travel got on my nerves. does it get less corny after that?

Not really. Like the crazy annoying MC grows on you, but if the humor style doesn't click, it's not going to click. I like it because it's like a team of insane people solving a mystery together almost like a Mel Brooks thing. The humor clicks with me so I find it extremely entertaining.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29457 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
guys I reinstalled Diablo 1 and this game still rules. too bad my mana doesn't regenerate so I don't know what to do with my wizard now that I ran out of potions.

It makes me so sad that Blizzard has essentially forgotten that Diablo 1 even exists.
dog

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29458 on: June 06, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
Always nice seeing others give the old games some love.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29459 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »

It makes me so sad that Blizzard has essentially forgotten that Diablo 1 even exists.

blizzard takes its sweet ass time with everything so there really is no excuse as to why they couldn't spare a few people to regularly update their earliest games. i mean, they have rock n roll racing available for download, but not diablo 1 or warcraft 1 & 2? c'mon guys
pcp