Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3613712 times)

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35460 on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »
Ok, so there was a better ending available that didn't require that fight. Hmm. I had the blade of the immortal but the dialogue choices I did didn't lead me to that conversation where you threaten the boss with it.

Watching the "good" ending, it's definitely better, though it's still kind of brief. I guess it's ok.

The setting was interesting but I thought the Lady of Pain and releasing Sigil from its cage was where the story was going...
I mean Coaxmetal says when he gives you the cage for the dream machine near the end that "I was told that soon before this cage broke open and I was free again I'd give this cage to you" which sorta implied that the cage breaking open was where it was going...which would've involved a storyline with Lady of Pain who is kind of a mysterious entity that the game doesn't really go into.

Does Torment: Tides of Numera go more into the Lady of Pain/Sigil? And is the story any good? I'm assuming the gameplay is probably better being more modern crpg.

Bebpo

« Reply #35461 on: July 29, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »
Wait, I'm reading they didn't get the license for Torment Numenera, so it's not even in the same D&D Planescape universe? What was even the point then.

Bebpo

« Reply #35462 on: July 29, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
So basically Planescape Torment is a pretty small scope focused story of a dude, whose not really significant in any universal sense, dealing with his own shit in an interesting setting that is mostly just backdrop and is never explored in a game again afterwards.

Not sure how satisfying I find this :|

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35463 on: July 29, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
It's only highly praised by many people idk maybe they need to release a novel to fill in the gaps for you
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35464 on: July 29, 2020, 06:40:39 PM »
It's only highly praised by many people idk maybe they need to release a novel to fill in the gaps for you

I mean, I'm not saying the story isn't good. Just it's not quite what I expected. Also there was 20+ years of people hyping it as the best story ever in an rpg, so there were definitely some expectations.

I think...I might've liked Baldur's Gate 1's story more. I can't remember it, but I remember liking it surprisingly considering the simpleness of BG1 and it getting me interested in reading all the lore books and getting hyped for BG2.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
words words words
« Reply #35465 on: July 29, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
For a "you don't need to fight, INT/WIS/CHA builds", I wonder how the fuck you're supposed to fight the final boss? When I got to him all my spells were used up from the Ingus fight and being a mage all my physical weapons were shit and nothing could hit him, Morte couldn't hit him and did 0 damage and I brought back Annah and she could do like 2 damage with magical punch daggers if she happened to hit him. So basically I couldn't even do damage and he just rolled my team.

After I realized I couldn't hit him at all and even do 1 damage, I just console command instakill on him. Thank god for that or I'd have to youtube the ending.
I've always talked it out with him. Every single time. :lol You can talk him into reviving your companions before the fight (or do it yourself, I forget), but I never actually fought him in all my playthroughs.

On Ingus I had the same thing when I ran out of spells and ended up just using that 99 use black barb wand over and over for like 5 damage at a time until he died after 5-10 mins.
The insect swarm spell screws him over. There's a charm of it, too. I'm usually out of spells by that fight (knowing that I'll talk my way to the credits), so I just wail on him. With high enough CON (and the regen tattoo, and maybe greater balm if you've saved one), you can just outlast him, but mainlining healing charms is easier. Using them in the inventory heals you instantaneously and only plays the animation once when you close the inventory. It's not an exploit, it's clever use of game mechanics. :esports

Also in terms of character questlines I don't think I ever figured out how to activate Fall from Grace or Annah's personal quest. In the EE version you get achievements for finishing the personal questlines. I did all their dialogue trees, but nothing. I got the achievement for Dakkon/Morte/Ingus.
Hm, they don't have personal quests, just some personal details you must have read already.
There's a FAQ for the PS4 version on GameFAQs which has a trophies section. I assume the achievements are the same. The only one related to Annah it lists is the one for recruiting her.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/187975-planescape-torment/faqs/78258/trophies

Ok, so there was a better ending available that didn't require that fight. Hmm. I had the blade of the immortal but the dialogue choices I did didn't lead me to that conversation where you threaten the boss with it.

Watching the "good" ending, it's definitely better, though it's still kind of brief. I guess it's ok.
I looove how simple it is. I like to think that it was a deliberate choice not dictated by a scant CG budget, because it works so well. TNO accepting responsibility for whatever it was the original incarnation did and just getting on with things... Mh. :delicious  Grab a weapon and make the best of it.

The setting was interesting but I thought the Lady of Pain and releasing Sigil from its cage was where the story was going...
I mean Coaxmetal says when he gives you the cage for the dream machine near the end that "I was told that soon before this cage broke open and I was free again I'd give this cage to you" which sorta implied that the cage breaking open was where it was going...which would've involved a storyline with Lady of Pain who is kind of a mysterious entity that the game doesn't really go into.
You ate the flavour packet in the ramen bag, I think. Or the devs fell for a creative trap set by the property, to give everything a surreal twist. Or they felt compelled to add yet another representative of chaos into the hub of the planar D&D cosmos. A siege tower inside the walls, that's striking, right? :thinking

I was never keen on looking the curtain of this game, so I don't actually know, but I have heard that Wizards of the Coast were hard to work with. It is ironic that a setting where belief can shape reality would hem creative choices, but it is a licenced property after all and Sigil is a fixture of the setting.
Maybe Coaxmetal's quest for entropy and Ravel's desires to crack the donut open are sly references to their creative constraints. :shh

It occurs to me that I never interrogated this at all. To this day, I just sop up the atmosphere and lore, by which I mean I skip most dialogue that I recognize as not being too pivotal for the story. Seeing fresh takes on this game is pretty cool. :3

So basically Planescape Torment is a pretty small scope focused story of a dude, whose not really significant in any universal sense, dealing with his own shit in an interesting setting that is mostly just backdrop and is never explored in a game again afterwards.

Not sure how satisfying I find this :|
TNO could be a major force, even as flawed as his immortality is, but he's too pre-occupied with his own shit, i.e. busy getting murdered over and over by his own mortality.

It's a shame we never got another Planescape game. Baldur's Gate 3 looks like it could deliver a taste of planehopping.

Anyway, may I recommend the Mask of The Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2? That is a personal story, but it also happens to deal with the D&D pantheon. It's set in Rashemen, which is also not a typical fantasy setting. And you don't play a pre-defined character. (I'd say skip NW2, but a lot of people actually seem to like it.)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:08:47 PM by Rufus »

Bebpo

Re: words words words
« Reply #35466 on: July 29, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Yeah, I've heard NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is real good. But I also heard the base game is kind of ho-hum, so I've never been to interested. I heard the other expansion (Zephyr something) is pretty good too tho.

I remember watching someone play this a bit and there was like a polar bear character which seemed kind of cool.

For a "you don't need to fight, INT/WIS/CHA builds", I wonder how the fuck you're supposed to fight the final boss? When I got to him all my spells were used up from the Ingus fight and being a mage all my physical weapons were shit and nothing could hit him, Morte couldn't hit him and did 0 damage and I brought back Annah and she could do like 2 damage with magical punch daggers if she happened to hit him. So basically I couldn't even do damage and he just rolled my team.

After I realized I couldn't hit him at all and even do 1 damage, I just console command instakill on him. Thank god for that or I'd have to youtube the ending.
I've always talked it out with him. Every single time. :lol You can talk him into reviving your companions before the fight (or do it yourself, I forget), but I never actually fought him in all my playthroughs.

I looked it up and you need 24+ WIS or 24+ CHA which is why the talking option didn't pop in my run.

My INT was 25, but my CHA/WIS were like 20. I know there's items/spells to boost CHA but I didn't know I needed it at the time so obviously I didn't have that boosted and the option didn't pop.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: words words words
« Reply #35467 on: July 29, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
Yeah, I've heard NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is real good. But I also heard the base game is kind of ho-hum, so I've never been to interested. I heard the other expansion (Zephyr something) is pretty good too tho.

I remember watching someone play this a bit and there was like a polar bear character which seemed kind of cool.
And a Deva. And a male hag-spawn. And a Red Mage of Thay. All of which have good backstories. And there's a 4-character limit so you can't have all of them with you at once. But there's a mod that expands it.

Bebpo

« Reply #35468 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Cool. Yeah I've got a handful of crpgs still in my backlog from the last two decades that I'm working through this year along with some jrpgs and other stuff since 2020 is mostly backlog and then 2021 will be new consoles and probably a decent amount of games to play.

I've been reading the Planescape Torment wiki a lot, I may load up some old save states and do a few things I didn't do like the Godsmen faction quests. Overall I like Planescape's story and some of its gameplay but as a completionist there is a lingering feeling of incomplete story threads which bug me and I get what you're saying about focusing too much on the curtains. TNO's tale is good and well explored but at it's heart it's essentially a one paragraph story

spoiler (click to show/hide)
General guy regrets and asks for immorality to atone and avoid hell, loses his memories right away and lives a ton of messy lives trying to figure out who he is and what's going on causing a lot of death and pain along the way, eventually regains his memories and gives up immortality to finally die and go to hell.
[close]

With a bunch of town quest stories fleshing out Sigil and then a short story arc about a border town and a fallen angel conspiring with demons to invade Mt. Olypmus and bring the fight to them. Which is cool and fine.

But there's a little of little things, like Annah and Fall from Grace not having personal quests, and then stuff like Coaxmetal's entropy battle, the Godsmen building a secret super cannon sponsored by some greater fiend for use in the blood war, that's all just kind of backdrop and doesn't go anywhere, those kind of things I just wish had more substantial completion where everything has some sort of conclusion. I was thinking with characters like Coaxmetal that if Planescape Torment had a Fallout kind of ending slides of different people/factions you encountered and what happened to them based on your choices it'd give me more of the conclusion I was looking for.

In the end alignment and choices all seems pretty inconsequential compared to other crpgs.

Yet, despite that I don't usually replay games over 5-10 hours long, I actually wouldn't mind replaying Planescape Torment since a lot of the game writing flies over your head initially in terms of the worldbuilding as well as the player and I think a second playthrough would be a lot more rewarding to read.

Do we even find out what lie it was that Morte told back when he was alive that caused everything that happened to TNO?

Bebpo

« Reply #35469 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Some of the other crpgs I have in my backlog to get around to soon are:

BG2 w/expansions (wanted to play BG1 & Planescape before this)
Maybe BG: Siege of Dragonspear since heard mixed on it, but it is short
Witcher 2 & 3
Divinity OS1&2 (though everyone says to just skip 1 and play 2 since they aren't story-focused)
KoTOR2

May try to throw in NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer, Torment: Tides of Numenera, also still never played Mass Effect 3 or any of the Dragon Age games.

And may check out Wasteland 3 if people say it's good. I never got around to playing W2 but heard mixed on it. I really like Fallout 1/2/NV.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35470 on: July 29, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Also, if you haven't already, make sure to play:

-Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong
-Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
-Tyranny
-Underrail
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35471 on: July 29, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
Do we even find out what lie it was that Morte told back when he was alive that caused everything that happened to TNO?
Nnnope. I like that they don't, but I don't think it's as important as withholding TNO's original crime.

I'd love to read Grace's diary too, but a lady's got to have her secrets. :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #35472 on: July 30, 2020, 12:08:41 AM »
Also, if you haven't already, make sure to play:

-Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong
-Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
-Tyranny
-Underrail

Yeah, I love Pillars 1 & 2, it's what got me interested in old D&D like Baldur's Gate. Tyranny was fun for a week or two but pretty small and could've been better. Still good.

I actually liked Shadowrun: Dead Man's Switch, so since that's supposed to be the worst of the three, I'm sure I'll like Dragonfall/HK. Thanks for reminding me to add them to my play soon backlog.

Underrail is idk. I am very big on Fallout 1&2 but moreso for the story/writing/questing than the actual scavenging dungeon crawler gameplay. I've heard that Underrail nails the Fallout gameplay but is pretty story-light, whereas I hear Atom Rpg goes for more the story/questing side of Fallout but isn't as good as Underrail. So both don't interest me that much.

Bebpo

« Reply #35473 on: July 30, 2020, 12:09:25 AM »

I'd love to read Grace's diary too, but a lady's got to have her secrets. :'(

Haha, yeah I thought that would play into her questline of her dark secrets or something, but nope.

Bebpo

« Reply #35474 on: July 30, 2020, 01:19:42 AM »
Planescape

So I went and did the Modron maze which was super annoying and not fun at all just running through to get Nodrom. Also wrapped up a few things and watched a video of Vhailor and his story interactions.

Beat the game with the good ending and one thing I didn't notice before when I used the bronze sphere. Did the nameless one make the Coaxmetal seige tower? When he's talking about regrets and all the pain and suffering he caused it ends with something like all the pain and suffering for a FORTRESS and when you ask Coaxmetal how he was created he says something like endless pain and suffering. That would bring a little more closure to that bit if so.

I think the only thing I missed out on at this point is Curst questing, but idk it's only 2 screens and doesn't look that interesting enough for the time to get back there and do them.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35475 on: July 30, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »

:lol

bebpo how have u not played kotor 2 man get on that shit
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:13:30 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35476 on: July 30, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »

:lol

bebpo how have u not played kotor 2 man get on that shit

gaming backlogs are hard  :derp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35477 on: July 30, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
Planescape

So I went and did the Modron maze which was super annoying and not fun at all just running through to get Nodrom. Also wrapped up a few things and watched a video of Vhailor and his story interactions.
And you'll barely get to use him. :'(

Beat the game with the good ending and one thing I didn't notice before when I used the bronze sphere. Did the nameless one make the Coaxmetal seige tower? When he's talking about regrets and all the pain and suffering he caused it ends with something like all the pain and suffering for a FORTRESS and when you ask Coaxmetal how he was created he says something like endless pain and suffering. That would bring a little more closure to that bit if so.
It'd definitely earn a place in hell, but he's talking about the Fortress of Regret and all the unstated crimes which built it. Coaxmetal says entropy itself created him from a heap of metal weapons. Whatever that means.

I think the only thing I missed out on at this point is Curst questing, but idk it's only 2 screens and doesn't look that interesting enough for the time to get back there and do them.
Having just returned to Sigil, I can tell you that you didn't miss anything, aside the XP. It's no wonder I barely remember Curst. There's simply nothing to remember. And you can skip even that, right as you arrive. :lol

---

Here's the pitch document. The language is very 90s, I can already tell that much. This ain't your grandpa's fantasy RPG! This game will rip shit. :gun
https://www.rpgwatch.com/files/Files/00-0208/Torment_Vision_Statement_1997.pdf
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:06:31 PM by Rufus »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35478 on: July 30, 2020, 06:17:21 PM »
i unironically love that silly 90's gothic font. so good.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35479 on: July 30, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »
".357 BULLET POINTS"

:picard

It was good that I avoided this document all this time. I was not ready for how 'wicked' it is.

Bebpo

« Reply #35480 on: July 30, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
Planescape

And you'll barely get to use him. :'(

It'd definitely earn a place in hell, but he's talking about the Fortress of Regret and all the unstated crimes which built it. Coaxmetal says entropy itself created him from a heap of metal weapons. Whatever that means.

Having just returned to Sigil, I can tell you that you didn't miss anything, aside the XP. It's no wonder I barely remember Curst. There's simply nothing to remember. And you can skip even that, right as you arrive. :lol

---

Here's the pitch document. The language is very 90s, I can already tell that much. This ain't your grandpa's fantasy RPG! This game will rip shit. :gun
https://www.rpgwatch.com/files/Files/00-0208/Torment_Vision_Statement_1997.pdf

Ah, that makes sense about the Fortress.

I read that design doc and the most interesting part is how close the final game is to that. Like the plot summary is pretty much 1:1. Feels like an era where games didn't have to make as many concessions as they do now from initial design concept to final launch ready game.

That being said, all the 90s stuff in there is pretty cringe from throwing around "distinguished mentally-challenged fellow" slang to the BABES BABES BABES bit.

Bebpo

« Reply #35481 on: July 31, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
Detroit - Started playing this more last night. I'm fine with the interface/concept coming from Fahrenheit/Heavy Rain/Beyond, but the sections where you are doing like extremely menial tasks like cleaning and stuff are  :zzz not even bothering trying to do optional stuff in these segments, just wanna move the story forward.

Hopefully it picks up pretty quick. For their flaws, Fahrenheit/Heavy Rain were murder mysteries and Beyond was crazy (bad) sci-fi thriller so they were somewhat exciting stories that kept you playing.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35482 on: July 31, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
It doesn't really
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35483 on: July 31, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
Finished Lieat II - Still great stuff. These are like the best would be an anime games ever. Each game is like one episode of an anime, good little short stories with great music, likeable characters and dialogue and rpg battles. The final bosses are pretty rough too since there's no healing outside items. I found a bunch of hidden items throughout and I still cleared the final boss with no healing items left where I would've wiped a turn or two later.

Bebpo

« Reply #35484 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:59 AM »
Detroit - Man, I do not miss the era of long QTE sequence games at all.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35485 on: August 01, 2020, 06:57:20 AM »
started playing dicey dungeons. become a bit frustrating later on with the randomness, but i really like it still.

Gilhany is back 🥰

u wot m8

Bebpo

« Reply #35486 on: August 01, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
started playing dicey dungeons. become a bit frustrating later on with the randomness, but i really like it still.

Gilhany is back 🥰

u wot m8

Dicey Dungeons is pretty good, the robot & witch are the most fun characters but the witch is really hard at certain matchups and can be RNG fuck.

There honestly isn't a ton of content, once you beat a run with all the characters you've basically seen everything since the other eps are just modifiers but the same maps/same enemies/bosses. Still a cool game and each character plays really different.

Bebpo

« Reply #35487 on: August 01, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Sat down and finished Sea Salt on game pass.

The sprite work and music, writing and gothic lovecraft atmosphere are A+, and the gameplay is ok for like the first half. It gets too bs for the AI in the 2nd half and way too many shooting/fire enemies that are constantly wiping your dumb team.

Game would've been much better if it was real time w/pause and you could assign your individual units specifically instead of just your whole army made up of a bunch of different unit types moving together as a swarm.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35488 on: August 02, 2020, 01:06:57 AM »
Played some hours of Days Gone.
People called this anything from mediocre to hidden gem.
I think it's actually a couple of pegs below that, even at 20€, i'm not sure it was worth it.
Nothing in particular is god awful (except for the direction, editing and writing of the cutscenes, that's truly abysmal even by videogame standards) but it's just terribly boring and janky.
Especially played after Last of Us2, with which shares several gameplay and thematic elements, it comes off as a dollar store version, with a tacked on uninteresting open world elements.

I find especially wasted the whole biker culture aspect, because the bike is essentially your fast travel machine, when you compare it with another open world like Mad Max (certainly not a trillion dollar project) that successfully makes of your car, the star of the package.
The zombie survival aspect is also significantly less interesting than something like State of Decay.
Nothing in this game really stands out positively over other titles, and jank + stealth never go very well together.

On top of it all, you have run of the mill characters, world and story, which could've been very well written by an algorythm.

Didn't even get to the hordes yet, but i did fight one in the challenge mode, and as fun as they are to see, i don't see much of an appeal in gameplay terms, Dead Rising did a better use of massive zombie numbers, but at least that's one unique gimmick it has.

Bebpo

« Reply #35489 on: August 02, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »
A good ways into Detroit and I'm enjoying it. The story is interesting and I like at least half the characters. In a lot of ways feels like a culmination of Heavy Rain's police procedural and Beyond's sci-fi. The dialogue is still closer to a B movie like most QD stuff and I think the three stories point of view hurts the pacing considerably, but outside of some bits being a little boring it's pretty solid so far. Also looks really nice.

But I always end up choosing the worst choices  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #35490 on: August 03, 2020, 01:35:58 AM »
Just have the final 3 chapters left in Detroit, but I usually fuck myself over staying up playing games and being miserable working the next day, so I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Gotta say this game was tough to put down once it got going. Regardless of how it ends, I think this is Quantic Dream's best game yet. Kinda a surprise sleeper for me since I had no interest in it at launch and am just playing my free PS+ copy all this time later with low expectations. It's got issues, but I'd say it's a good entertaining 8/10 slightly interactive TV season.

I mostly played the good pacifist route in my playthrough. Though I have no interest in spending the time to replay the whole game again, it'd be fun to play a totally asshole MURDER EVERYTHING KILL KILL KILL ANDROIDS ARE TERMINATORS run with all 3 characters.

Also one issue I have going into the endings is Kara's story was the most boring and feels kind of pointless since it's so disconnected from the story going on with Conner/Marcus and the city. It had some neat vignettes so I don't hate it (the Pirate park ending was really nice and mecha polar bear is great, plus Luther is pretty good) but it's weird in the way the story is written that it's not more connected to the central plot of the other two characters.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35491 on: August 03, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
I beat Whomp Em, a NES platformer from Jaleco - it was a localization of a Saiyuki game but they added a feather to the guy's headband and did some slight sprite changes and made him a stereotypical Native American (yet he still has a cloud he can float on, and one of the levels is a bamboo forest). The game itself looks like it could be good from screenshots... it's colorful with decent graphics and superficially resembles a Mega Man game (you get powerups after beating bosses, but they are mainly used for level navigation and there are no boss weakness systems in place). But, the controls are stiff (you're mostly locked into a jump after taking it), the hit detection is poor (you have upward and downward thrust attacks, Zelda 2 style, but you have to be hitting the enemy in their center to hit), and oh god the music is abysmal. Listen to the final stage soundtrack (9:31):

^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35492 on: August 04, 2020, 03:47:49 AM »
Detroit - Become Human - Damn, those final chapters were really long!

Liked it, the directions the characters went weren't always in sync with how I was playing them so characters like Marcus seemed schizophrenic as the game really wanted him to be this DETERMINED BIG BOSS leader and I was playing him as a pacifist because he seemed pretty chill with Carl at the start and I just didn't see him as a leader.

And Conner was weird because I was playing him a third solution way of not favoring the deviants and not trusting and siding with the corporations, but when it came down to it there's only two sides to the matter so you gotta choose A or B.

Kara without any real major role seemed the most in-character with the choices I made.

I got a mostly good ending. I was pissed that
spoiler (click to show/hide)
After saving Luther a bunch of times, he died on the boat crossing and looking it up if you do the boat crossing he always gets killed which seems bs; everyone else survived though and the androids got their freedom and Conner and Hank got to hang again.
[close]

Looking up the possible endings and character deaths, the game branching is actually a lot more reactive than I thought it was while playing it. Pretty cool stuff.

The writing is messy because of all the choice stuff and so the non-choice dialogue is a guessing game of what kind of character they are and can be odd. Also some of the forced stuff is really forced. Like the North romance bit is hilarious because she is all for murder and going pacifist you get negative points every scene with her but somehow you still max companion with her because she's the forced romantic interest no matter how much you fuck up. There's other stuff that's a bit railroaded but that romance plot is probably the worst. The writing with the president is all pretty terrible too.

Still it's a very entertaining story. Lots of good moments, visually amazing with top-notch art design and graphics. Some good characters (I liked Conner/Hank a lot and would've been fine with the entire game as them). Solid length too + all the branching.

Good game. I may actually pay more attention and play QD's next game on release instead of years later coming from this. Gotta imagine the graphics on their next game is going to be pretty insane considering how damn good Detroit looks on PS4 hardware.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35493 on: August 04, 2020, 08:08:43 AM »
did you notice the subtle hints towards the androids treatment being like racism?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35494 on: August 04, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »
'subtle'

:lol David Cage really hits you over the head with it constantly indeed
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35495 on: August 04, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
did you notice the subtle hints towards the androids treatment being like racism?

Racism? The bad ending puts em in the damn concentration camps. Laughed my ass off at that.

Edit: Hahahaha, I forgot they put a triangle sign on the androids like the nazis did their prisoners.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:34:41 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Bebpo

« Reply #35496 on: August 04, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
I mean, so is x-men. These aren't high art stories trying to say meaningful things (at least not trying to say them well); doesn't stop them from being entertaining rides.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35497 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Yeah the final chapters and Markus's "Android Lives Matter" walk was pretty cringe

Definitely the weakest Cage game but it's pretty!

Not sure how you can prefer this and not Indigo Prophecy
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35498 on: August 04, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
I thought Indigo was the worst one! When it became kung-fu matrix QTE I just couldn't stop laughing the rest of the entire game it was so stupid.

If I had to rate Cage's games I'd rate them:

Omikron: Nomad Soul - Uhhh, I never finished this back in the day so who knows
Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy - 6/10
Heavy Rain 8/10
Beyond: Two Souls 6/10
Detroit: Become Human 8/10

And I'm not going to argue that co-opting BLM/Civil Rights slogans isn't super fucking cringe in the game, but the rest was enjoyable outside Kara's early chapters.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35499 on: August 04, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »
The off the rails bull shit are the best parts of Cage's games, even the dumb shit in Beyond and Heavy Rain
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35500 on: August 04, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
The off the rails bull shit are the best parts of Cage's games, even the dumb shit in Beyond and Heavy Rain

Haha, well I guess it depends on what you play the games for.

I actually enjoyed Heavy Rain & Detroit non-ironically as interesting adventure games.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35501 on: August 04, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »
Detroit should have had Kara spray up some people with guns from her robot tits, would have made it worth it

Instead we have Connor walking around going "are Androids people? Hmmmm maybe"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:54:52 PM by demi »
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35502 on: August 04, 2020, 11:24:48 PM »
It made me laugh, when as Markus you can demands the US government to free up and entire state just for robots, and they hadn't even talked about it with the other robots or anything, no setup, he just makes that demand out of the blue, while the day before they were basically considered a glorified iphone.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #35503 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:49 PM »
Yeah, my biggest problem with Marcus is the prompts are really vague. I had that happen in my run because I picked "determined" speech. How the fuck was I supposed to know determined meant "extort a state from the country"

I didn't really have that problem with Conner/Kara's prompts and could usually figure out the intent, but Marcus was weird. Since QD's French I wonder if there was some language barrier there.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35504 on: August 05, 2020, 12:05:21 AM »
Given their other parallels, i'm assuming it was some kind of reference to ideas like Liberia or New Afrika Republic or whatever, but it's just so out of the left field, they go from "right to vote" to "lol, evaquate a state!" in the same scene.

bluemax

« Reply #35505 on: August 05, 2020, 01:24:44 AM »
I beat Whomp Em, a NES platformer from Jaleco - it was a localization of a Saiyuki game but they added a feather to the guy's headband and did some slight sprite changes and made him a stereotypical Native American (yet he still has a cloud he can float on, and one of the levels is a bamboo forest). The game itself looks like it could be good from screenshots... it's colorful with decent graphics and superficially resembles a Mega Man game (you get powerups after beating bosses, but they are mainly used for level navigation and there are no boss weakness systems in place). But, the controls are stiff (you're mostly locked into a jump after taking it), the hit detection is poor (you have upward and downward thrust attacks, Zelda 2 style, but you have to be hitting the enemy in their center to hit), and oh god the music is abysmal. Listen to the final stage soundtrack (9:31):

I rented this game multiple times as a kid. I don't know why I liked it so much.
NO

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35506 on: August 05, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
I've been playing Death End Re;Quest on the PS4. It's a Visual Novel/RPG that borrows from Sword Art Online and Steins;Gate (but it's Compile Heart, so obviously on a much smaller budget). The story's pretty good though, if you like anime bullshit. It's about a VR MMO called World's Odyssey that was cancelled by it's publisher, but is discovered one year later later to still be running in a heavily buggy state, with the director trapped inside. The story switches back and forth between the director Shina, who's been missing for a year and is stuck in the game with no memories of the past year or where her body is located, and Arata, the lead programmer who's trying to help guide Shina through the game and deal with the supernatural/Sci-Fi conspiracy stuff that's going on in the real world.

The Real World scenes play out in Visual Novel style, with Arata going to different locations and talking to people and then occasionally making a choice that will either continue the plot or lead to a Bad End. The World's Odyssey scenes play out in a pretty basic fantasy RPG style, with the major draw being the "Knockback system", which essentially means when you hit an enemy really hard it will bounce around the battle arena into other monsters or your party members, who will hit it again and deal more damage. It's kinda cool the first 5 or 6 times you do it, but then it's like, okay I just wanna get through the battle pls.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:48:40 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35507 on: August 05, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
I've been playing Death End Re;Quest on the PS4. It's a Visual Novel/RPG that borrows from Sword Art Online and Steins;Gate (but it's Compile Heart, so obviously on a much smaller budget). The story's pretty good though, if you like anime bullshit. It's about a VR MMO called World's Odyssey that was cancelled by it's publisher, but is discovered one later to still be running in a heavily buggy state, with the missing director trapped inside. The story switches back and forth between the director Shina, who's been missing for a year and is trapped in the game with no memories or the past year or where her body is located, and Arata, the lead programmer who's trying to help guide Shina through the game and deal with the supernatural/Sci-Fi conspiracy stuff that's going on in the real world.

The Real World scenes play out in Visual Novel style, with Arata going to different locations and talking to people and then occasionally making a choice that will either continue the plot or lead to a Bad End. The World's Odyssey scenes play out in a pretty basic fantasy RPG style, with the major draw being the "Knockback system", which essentially means when you hit an enemy really hard it will bounce around the battle arena into other monsters or your party members, who will hit it again and deal more damage. It's kinda cool the first 5 or 6 times you do it, but then it's like, okay I just wanna get through the battle pls.

The graphic style looks pretty nice, a bit of a step up from other Compile Heart games... but does it contain the same lame-ass repetitive dungeon design as their other games?
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35508 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
The dungeons aren't great, but they aren't too bad. They're all at least aesthetically different. The first one is a castle, the second one is a shipyard, the third one (where I'm at) is a ruined city.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35509 on: August 05, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
got da crew 2 for £10, its a good podcast game for that price. looks pretty alright on the x too (i played the beta on ps4 way back when and it looked a bit shid)  ;)
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35510 on: August 05, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »
Another soulless Ubisoft open world title
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35511 on: August 05, 2020, 01:56:09 PM »
:trumps
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35512 on: August 05, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »
Another soulless Ubisoft open world title

Yeah, but this one has racing.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35513 on: August 05, 2020, 07:01:28 PM »
Played some DOOM 64, because it was only 2.49 Yurop dollars on Switch

I'm about 6 levels in. I like the dark tone and the levels are unlike most other DOOM levels and remind me more of bits and pieces of games like Duke Nukem 3D, Turok and Metroid Prime.
It runs great on Switch too. Only some sound effects are for some reason far louder than others. Which seems to be by design. Soundtrack is more moody, which fits the levels but it doesn't compete with the original DOOM soundtrack so far.
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35514 on: August 05, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
Racing is almost universally the worst part of any open world game

For 3rd-person shooty stuff yeah, but stuff like Burnout Paradise and Crew 2 were designed for it and have loads more straight roads rather than forcing down city blocks, etc. If anything it just shows how much better actual tracks tend to be, but it's more boring than bad.

I maintain Crew 2 is worth a tenner even though I haven't messed with it since the first try. You can morph into a plane or boat at any time and it seems to still be supported!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35515 on: August 05, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »
doom 64 soundtrack was silent hill before there was silent hill

pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #35516 on: August 05, 2020, 11:27:15 PM »
Started playing

Spider-Man PS4 - The combat in this game is going take me some time. I died like 5 times in the intro tutorial Kingpin level  :'( and I'm good at character action games and the Arkham games, but the flow of combat in this feels pretty different than anything else, will need to learn and adjust. Seems cool though. Really impressed by the seamless transitions in levels and really impressive visuals and anti-alaising. Spider-Man's suit looks completely smooth no jaggies :o These circuit puzzles seem like shoving a not that good or hard indie puzzle game in though and pretty out of place.

I like the character re-designs so far, Avengers game should've gone with this style of good art.

Blasphemous - New free DLC came out so finally gave this a shot. It's...really cool! I played their previous game The Last Door (at least the first season, I should probably play S2 and see the rest of the story) since I'm a big fan of PnC adventure games and play a lot of indie ones, so when they announced they were going from that to an action metroidvania is seemed kind of ambitious. Playing it finally though, I can definitely see what they are bringing to the "just another metroidvania w/good art" genre as adventure game devs. I really dig the heavy story focus and all the 2d art cutscenes are fantastic. Seems pretty neat and I'll probably stick with this and play it this week.

Oh and I was a little surprised that even though this game is very Dark Souls that you don't lose xp when you die. You keep everything and just restart at the last checkpoint. That's even more forgiving than most metroidvania games! Kinda surprised.

Vertiginous Golf - An aerial Steampunk (aka Bioshock Infinite) narrative story mini-golf game. Uhhhh, well it's a thing! Outside of the slow mouse rotation, the mini-golf part is fun and having audio logs in golf is uhhh interesting  :huh
I really hate the art style though, it's pretty damn ugly. Dunno if I'll finish this.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35517 on: August 06, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »
doom 64 soundtrack was silent hill before there was silent hill

Yeah it's pretty awesome just very different from the usual DOOM rock.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35518 on: August 06, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
I've been playing AssCreed Syndicate a bit today and it has to be the worst setting and group of characters for any of these games. Just a bunch of dirty, poor Brits with shitty accents and mutton chops :yuck

Also lol at having a damn Batman grappling gun in 1870 or whatever. Seems like that kind of defeats the purpose of the core of the AssCreed gameplay of climbing and free running on everything.

:noooo

I like Syndicate a lot. Most modern location in an AC game and London map is cool and so accurate you can use it to get around the modern day city. Main characters are great and charming and even the badguys are full of whimsy. It's also not overly long.

Thinking back Syndicate is probably my favorite post-brotherhood classic style AC game. I also really liked Black Flag by the same team but that was pretty long and repetitive being a whole ocean map. I think if I had to replay one I'd replay Syndicate over BF.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35519 on: August 06, 2020, 11:16:00 PM »
Legend of Kage 2 - have not heard about this or the original arcade game until a week ago. Reminds me of arcade Shinobi, except with quicker gameplay - can't say no to cool Ninja games.

Every time I think I'm done with the DS, I still find something down the line... the last great Nintendo system, exclusive library for a lifetime :lawd
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:25:06 PM by Spieler1 »