Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046566 times)

Raban

• The baby...
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »
I've had a lot of free time lately.  No more of that free time will be spent watching Community.  Terrible show.  :yuck
You're a terrible show

Its all so forced.  Everyone is just standing by with some stupid witty retort that barely fits into a conversation.  Scrubs kinda does this too but they set up the comedy better.

I liked it to start with but it's becoming self-referential to the point of Austin Powers dryness. Just like AP it started out spoofing something that needed to be spoofed, but then added enough of its own cliche conventions that it had to parody itself, and now it's just boring.

I'll keep watching for McHale goodness.
SRY

Moran

« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:07 AM »
Rewatching Peep Show for the first time since I saw it on tv, god hearing myself in Mark sometimes is so hard to deal with though.
why

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #422 on: February 15, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
the last season was the weakest of the bunch, i thought.

one of the best episodes:
[youtube=560,345]gCL-qnBQzUo[/youtube]

:lol
zzz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #423 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
Why does Two and a Half Men get so much hate?

I mean, sure, it's not very good.  But it's not terrible.  It's just mediocre, friendly and safe.  But I've seen nerds spout off on it like it's the worst thing ever created.  It makes me chuckle every once in a while.  It's not like... NCIS bad or something.

i watch it every now and then when nothing else is on.

too bad the kid grew up. he should've stayed little and cute; he's totally not funny anymore.
Yeah.  The only thing I like more about him being older is that they can have him make more sex jokes without it being creepy.

Rewatching Peep Show for the first time since I saw it on tv, god hearing myself in Mark sometimes is so hard to deal with though.
yes :(  I hated myself when I realized in some ways I'm as neurotic as he is.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: February 18, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
I tried to watch some Legend of the Seeker, but I could only get through about half of the first episode before I got overwhelmed by the barrage of fantasy cliches and had to turn it off. Back to Netflix it goes.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #425 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
it's not so bad once it gets going.  Fun in the Xena kind of way.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: February 18, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »
it's not so bad once it gets going.  Fun in the Xena kind of way.

Well, I was sort of looking for a reason not to get invested in it anyway. Too many other things that I want to watch instead.

But seriously, unless it features bestiality, dislocating little girls' jaws, torture, slaughtering pacifists, and all the other little things that make a great Terry Goodkind book, I'm just not all that interested in the first place.
dog

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #427 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:59 AM »
The first season of Fringe is pretty good. I love the ending of the finale.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I won't spoil it!
[close]

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #428 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
Yeah, season one turned out far better than I expected it to. Not as much "monster-of-the-week" that it seemed to start out as. I've been sitting on my hands not watching any season two until the boxed set is out.
fek

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #429 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:42 AM »
The episodes seem a bit too formulaic.

Olivia Dunham: I've been turning objects into gold lately. Can you explain this Dr. Bishop?
Walter Bishop: I don't know.
Peter Bishop: Of course he can't. Alchemy is not possible.
Walter Bishop: Wait . . . this reminds of the time Dr. William Bell and I worked together. Yes. We were almost able to turn wood into silver, but we didn't have enough gypsy blood.
Peter Bishop: That doesn't even make sense.
Walter Bishop: OPEN YOUR EYES, SON!

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #430 on: February 18, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
This is why it replaced House for me.

But yeah, the ending of the season finale gave me chills.
AMC

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #431 on: February 18, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
Yeah I hate how after all the shit Peter has seen his dad do he still doubt every crazy theory Walter has every episode.

I'm loving modern family a lot more than expected, Phil is my favorite character, Sofia Vergara :drool :drool

By far the best new comedy this season.
Drunk

OptimoPeach

« Reply #432 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:47 AM »
I've had a lot of free time lately.  No more of that free time will be spent watching Community.  Terrible show.  :yuck
You're a terrible show

Its all so forced.  Everyone is just standing by with some stupid witty retort that barely fits into a conversation.  Scrubs kinda does this too but they set up the comedy better.

I liked it to start with but it's becoming self-referential to the point of Austin Powers dryness. Just like AP it started out spoofing something that needed to be spoofed, but then added enough of its own cliche conventions that it had to parody itself, and now it's just boring.

I'll keep watching for McHale goodness.
Ah. I actually stopped keeping up after the eighth or ninth episode, so maybe I haven't gotten to the weaker bits now.

And it's funny that EmCee mentioned Scrubs, because from what I saw the pacing reminded me a lot of Scrubs circa S3 (aka non-shitty Scrubs) which was a big attraction for me. I think I remember hearing that they nabbed a couple of the old Scrubs writers as well
hi5

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #433 on: February 18, 2010, 02:22:26 AM »

I won't spoil it!
[close]

Season 2 seems to be going really strong, we're only up to episode 9 in Australia at the moment but I'm loving it.

Diunx

« Reply #434 on: February 20, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »

Was hoping for a proper trailer :punch
Drunk

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #435 on: February 20, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »
Is anybody else watching series 4 of skins?  The last episode was great.  I have no clue who they're going to keep around for the next generation though.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:32 AM »
No love for Archer in this thread?

The previews didn't look great, and it's on fX, but I watched cause it's got Jon Benjamin.  It's not groundbreaking, but it's got the transgressive buffoonery bit down pat, and I laughed out loud at every episode.  Reminds me of early-ish Adult Swim before it got aggressively bizzarre.  First three episodes are on Hulu.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2010, 05:39:24 PM »
Last night's episode of Big Love was just amazing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »

The previews didn't look great, and it's on fX, but I watched cause it's got Jon Benjamin.  It's not groundbreaking, but it's got the transgressive buffoonery bit down pat, and I laughed out loud at every episode.  Reminds me of early-ish Adult Swim before it got aggressively bizzarre.  First three episodes are on Hulu.

It's from the two guys that created Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo.
dog

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »
Sarah Connor Chronicles season 2 is about to start here.  After a slow start in season 1 I thought it got much, much better so I'm looking forward to season 2.  Shame it got canceled after that.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »

archer is excellent, im already hoping they make a second season once this is done

i love Jon Benjamins voice
萌え~

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:54 PM »
Anyone ever watch Brotherhood? I remember a youtube clip was posted awhile back in the links thread and have been meaning to check it out but never have.

Watched an episode of Spartacus, it seemed as laughably bad as everyone was saying...dunno if it will rise to the status of  guilty pleasure though.
___

OptimoPeach

« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
Pretty sure I just spoiled Six Feet Under for myself big time when I was looking up an S1 scene on YouTube. Was looking for this:

[youtube=560,345]2pGVrrpzoeg[/youtube]

And one of the suggestions YouTube spit out as I was typing in the search box was
Nate dies :'(
[close]
GODDAMNIT. I'm on the finale of S2 so I guess it isn't that big of a deal since I kinda figured already that's where it's heading anyway what with the
progression of his condition
[close]
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »

I won't spoil it!
[close]

I can't believe I clicked that, and I LOL'd at what you wrote.

The episodes seem a bit too formulaic.

Olivia Dunham: I've been turning objects into gold lately. Can you explain this Dr. Bishop?
Walter Bishop: I don't know.
Peter Bishop: Of course he can't. Alchemy is not possible.
Walter Bishop: Wait . . . this reminds of the time Dr. William Bell and I worked together. Yes. We were almost able to turn wood into silver, but we didn't have enough gypsy blood.
Peter Bishop: That doesn't even make sense.
Walter Bishop: OPEN YOUR EYES, SON!

So. Good. The only thing I can't really deal with is after The Observer episode, it seems like Astrid should have A Big Fucking Trust Issue with Walter from that point on outward. But she doesn't show it in the subsequent couple episodes.

Diunx

« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
Been watching Extras this week, fucking loved the show a lot more than I was expecting, every character was hilarious, but the finale took me completely by surprise, I was not expecting the show to turn into a fucking drama all the sudden.
Drunk

Diunx

Drunk

Diunx

« Reply #446 on: March 04, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
Fringe is great, but I really think that it would be better if they went the hbo and british way and made 13 episodes instead of 22-24, the show has a lot of filling.
Drunk

« Reply #447 on: March 04, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »

There's been some good stuff, but there are way too many plotlines going on for a nine episode season.
野球

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #448 on: March 04, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »

There's been some good stuff, but there are way too many plotlines going on for a nine episode season.
This is true.  I think a lot of the political stuff will get delayed to next season.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #449 on: March 04, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »
Fringe is great, but I really think that it would be better if they went the hbo and british way and made 13 episodes instead of 22-24, the show has a lot of filling.

This goes for pretty much every show on US broadcast television, unfortunately. British way is 6 episodes, though. HBO/cable shows have the sweet spot at about a dozen eps a season, I think.
AMC

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2010, 07:50:50 PM »
Season 7 of MI-5 now,  :omg so good

Diunx

« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
wow, community sucks :yuck
Drunk

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »

This goes for pretty much every show on US broadcast television, unfortunately. British way is 6 episodes, though. HBO/cable shows have the sweet spot at about a dozen eps a season, I think.

Agreed.  I think most countries do it this way (12-13 ep seasons) except the US, though.  Just one of the weird things about American TV when compared to the rest of the world.
PS4

duckman2000

« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »
Hell, some UK series are only 12 episodes. Shows here tend to either run until it's pure soap, or get killed before it even gets a chance to get off the ground. Watching MI-5, it's also refreshing to see pure focus on scenarios, and not on individual characters. Keeps it fresh and unpredictable.

Swedish crime dramas at least used to be short run as well, more like miniseries than standard TV series, with higher production values, better pacing and more content in each episode.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »
Pretty sure I just spoiled Six Feet Under for myself big time when I was looking up an S1 scene on YouTube. Was looking for this:

[outube=560,345]2pGVrrpzoeg[/youtube]

And one of the suggestions YouTube spit out as I was typing in the search box was
Nate dies :'(
[close]
GODDAMNIT. I'm on the finale of S2 so I guess it isn't that big of a deal since I kinda figured already that's where it's heading anyway what with the
progression of his condition
[close]
Don't worry, by the time anything that happens that is spoilable, the show is unwatchably bad.
How far are we talking? After I posted that I got a few eps into S3 where suddenly every character's life is Claire levels of boring, and I'm already feeling burnt out
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Thanks for that; I was having trouble identifying what was bothering me about what I've seen. There have been some wonderful eps, but a few have that sad, monster-of-the-week feeling that X-Files had whenever they didn't do a story arc episode.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #456 on: March 06, 2010, 03:13:40 AM »
"It's like Abed-but employable!"

come on, it's funnier than pretty much anything else (well on network TV).

duckman2000

« Reply #457 on: March 06, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »

It's garbage. Fucking GAF-humor.

« Reply #458 on: March 06, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
I am delighted Southland came back.

As am I.... as am I.

This is true.  I think a lot of the political stuff will get delayed to next season.

I have no idea what they're going to do tomorrow night.

I still think the road trip episode from season three is the best episode they've ever done.
野球

Diunx

« Reply #459 on: March 06, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »

No its not, the only funny thing is the chinaman from the hangover, the funniest show on tv right now is Modern Family imo.
Drunk

duckman2000

« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
:bow Modern Family :bow2

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
I just started watching Grey's Anatomy. Everyone can hate, but this show makes me laff and cry at the same time.  :'( :lol

etiolate

« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
community and modern family rock

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2010, 10:21:03 PM »
just started watching Archer

fucking awesome

'immigrants.  they just drive around listening to raps and shooting all the jobs"
Tonya

« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
I just started watching Grey's Anatomy. Everyone can hate, but this show makes me laff and cry at the same time.  :'( :lol

I used to live right across from the street from where they did the exterior shots of Meredith's house back in 2005. We'd sit on the porch and watch them film.
野球

OptimoPeach

« Reply #465 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »
How's S6 of LOST been? I decided to just wait until the end to marathon it all and stopped watching after the Locke episode
hi5

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #466 on: March 07, 2010, 09:48:26 PM »
The remake of V just started airing here.  Goddamn it's full of people I've already seen:

Juliette from Lost
Wife/doctor from Flash Forward who I've never liked
Auri chick from the end of Stargate SG1, seemingly playing the exact same character

I wonder if it'll be as delightfully shitty as the original.

duckman2000

« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »
No god damn it no, no more seasons of MI-5 on DVD.  :gloomy

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #468 on: March 08, 2010, 03:46:26 AM »
I started watching Californication, dig it so far (well, I'm only 2 episodes in). The Scientologist fuck scene was hilarious.
:9

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #469 on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »

I used to live right across from the street from where they did the exterior shots of Meredith's house back in 2005. We'd sit on the porch and watch them film.

I don't know why I think Dr. Grey is hot. But I think it might be the whole doctor's-in-scrubs-doing-serious-business look they have going in the show.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #470 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:25 AM »
The remake of V just started airing here.  Goddamn it's full of people I've already seen:

Juliette from Lost
Wife/doctor from Flash Forward who I've never liked
Auri chick from the end of Stargate SG1, seemingly playing the exact same character

I wonder if it'll be as delightfully shitty as the original.

It's shitty, just not delightfully so
hi5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #471 on: March 09, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
From Californication

Marcy: Tonight we're kicking it old school... condoms, coke and lobster claws

:rofl

Best character ever

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #472 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
one of my favorite shows. the ending of s1 is disappointing, though.

there's an awesome, seriously awesome, threesome scene in episode 10. you'll be surprised. :-*
zzz

Diunx

« Reply #473 on: March 09, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Started watching Spaced, skinny nick frost! :o
Drunk

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #474 on: March 09, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
He's kinda skinny in S1 but he plumps out in the 2nd.
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
I started watching "How I met your Mother" a couple of days ago and am now just watching the episode about Robin's secret. Holy shit :lol

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »
started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, which led me to finally start watching Seinfeld. Both are excellent shows, though the laugh track in the latter is hard to bear.
SRY

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #477 on: March 13, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »
I just finished watching Berserk.  :-\ :'(

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #478 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
I just finished watching Berserk.  :-\ :'(

:punch GUTS :punch

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #479 on: March 13, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
Guts that's your arm. 

Don't do that to your arm.   :-\