Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 504321 times)

benjipwns

• no protectors here, no lanterns, no kryptonian
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #6240 on: March 13, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
I'm partial to Part LXVIII:

(Image removed from quote.)

Quoth Timothy Drake. :lol
Why does he have so many ears?

Is this Claremont?

When I think of his writing, I think of the word "caper" being used way too much.  :P
Yes, in the intro essay to the Masterworks he admits that his early Uncanny X-Men issues are "significantly overwritten" with the hindsight of 20 years.

This was almost certainly due to Marvel's payment structure. Marvel paid based on three things, the plot, the art and the dialogue. This was the "Marvel Method" that worked so well for Lee and Kirby/Ditko. You can tell it when you read old Marvel and compare it to almost anything from anyone else or anything "modern" it has tons of dialogue of characters describing out loud what they're doing. "I'll swing from this roof over to this other roof and then jump down onto another roof" will be not just shown or described quickly but be two or three boxes of dialogue from say, Daredevil or Spider-Man. Some of my favorites are characters out loud describing how they need to keep quiet to hide their secret identities lest anyone find out they're actually MATT MURDOCK AND I HOPE NOBODY FINDS OUT THAT I'M MATT MURDOCK AS I SNEAK UP HERE IN THESE RAFTERS AS MATT MURDOCK DRESSED AS DAREDEVIL. It's because Stan Lee was getting himself paid a second time for every dialogue box he could fit over the art and plot.

benjipwns

« Reply #6241 on: March 16, 2021, 01:06:22 AM »
I finished Ultimate Marvel and I like how it never stops really, albeit nobody can match Jeph Loeb, with the United States falling apart, mutant land reservations, and Captain America winning election as the President. :lol

There's some legitimate good in there, I liked where they went with Reed Richards and everything, even the solution to the one storyline involving that was a great way to get out of an impossible plot, etc. Miles Morales was really boring though and Bendis' plot problems compacted into themselves with it. Bendis trying to write what I imagine he'd term "African-American dialogue" was hilarious and I hoped it would continue but he dropped it after an issue.

Also, generally overlooked (couldn't even find it online) in all the other madness from those Loeb issues is this epic comeback from Wolverine to Hawkeye, in Ultimates 3:

GOT EM LOGAN, GOT EM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:11:41 AM by benjipwns »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6242 on: March 16, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
epic comeback, or fourth wall breaking jab at editorial oversight on continuity?

:thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #6243 on: March 16, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
Well, they had just murdered his wife and kids in Ultimates 2.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6245 on: March 20, 2021, 03:17:52 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #6246 on: March 21, 2021, 12:17:36 AM »
Tasty, if I want to watch Justice League stuff through the DC animated movies, which one do I start with?

benjipwns

« Reply #6247 on: March 21, 2021, 01:16:43 AM »
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is the first one from when they launched this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe#Films

Bebpo

« Reply #6248 on: March 21, 2021, 01:26:59 AM »
Yeah, that was what I was looking for.

Bebpo

« Reply #6249 on: March 21, 2021, 02:50:49 AM »
Ok, watched the first one, The Flashpoint Paradox. That was not a good place to start with an alt-world story.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6250 on: March 21, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
Most of those animated movies are better than the live-action ones.  :doge
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6251 on: March 22, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »

:takei

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6252 on: March 23, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »
Most of those animated movies are better than the live-action ones.  :doge

Low bar.

Young Justice is substantially better than the movies.

benjipwns

« Reply #6253 on: March 24, 2021, 09:54:40 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #6254 on: March 24, 2021, 09:58:56 PM »

wait, Tony Stark is IRON MAN?!?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6255 on: March 25, 2021, 12:08:54 AM »
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6256 on: March 25, 2021, 12:37:32 PM »
WHY I OUGHTA

Bebpo

« Reply #6257 on: March 25, 2021, 04:16:47 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/best-year-of-boom-studios-books

Are any of these good? I've never heard of Boom comics or any of these comics but I've enjoyed a lot of random stuff from the Image comics bundles.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6258 on: March 25, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/best-year-of-boom-studios-books

Are any of these good? I've never heard of Boom comics or any of these comics but I've enjoyed a lot of random stuff from the Image comics bundles.

The only one I've read is Irredeemable (which is good, but ymmv based on your interest in a 'what if superman went bad?' story) but theres some books by Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen who both do pretty good stuff

Bebpo

« Reply #6259 on: March 25, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »
Oh, I like Gillen. I'll have to take a look at which is theirs.

Bebpo

« Reply #6260 on: March 25, 2021, 07:30:11 PM »
So I got the $25 bundle and the quality of the scans are complete artifacting shit on all of them. Got the .cbzs, will see if the pdfs are any better but I think the publisher just did a real shitty job with their digital scans  :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #6261 on: March 25, 2021, 07:58:34 PM »

Like literally this is the quality of a brand new comic you get for $25 in this bundle.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #6262 on: March 25, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #6263 on: March 25, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »
Yaaa, that is shitty too lol

Bebpo

« Reply #6264 on: March 25, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »
Well I submitted a support ticket to humble bundle to at least make them aware that their new bundle has ass image quality and they should complain to Boom! Studios or whoever is supplying the scanned digital comics.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6265 on: March 26, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »

:ryker

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6266 on: March 26, 2021, 09:19:11 PM »

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6267 on: March 26, 2021, 09:20:40 PM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:24:49 PM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6268 on: March 26, 2021, 09:32:24 PM »
There's an old issue of (I assume) Fantastic Four I saw a few years ago where PASTE POT PETE attacks Sue Storm and shoots glue all over her sticking her to the floor and it looks like well, you know...

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6269 on: March 27, 2021, 05:23:46 PM »
There's an old issue of (I assume) Fantastic Four I saw a few years ago where PASTE POT PETE attacks Sue Storm and shoots glue all over her sticking her to the floor and it looks like well, you know...

I love how in continuity paste pot pete is such a shit name that even after he rebrands as the Trapster everyone still calls him paste pot pete  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6270 on: March 27, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6271 on: March 27, 2021, 06:53:55 PM »

I love how in continuity paste pot pete is such a shit name that even after he rebrands as the Trapster everyone still calls him paste pot pete  :lol

ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6272 on: March 27, 2021, 07:41:31 PM »

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6274 on: April 01, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »
Slade was hard confirmed as not ever fucking Terra in Priest's Deathstroke run just a few years ago, and he still caught shit from the characters in the book for his prior dealings with her. Kind of weird to take such a stand against something deliberately excised from the canon in every modern adaptation.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6275 on: April 02, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
Deathstrokes relationship with Terra was always fucked up, inappropriate and manipulative and was never shown as anything other than that, because it was literally supposed to be a thematic 'dark mirror' to Dick Graysons own relationship with Bruce Wayne.
That's why it happened in what was pretty much a Dick Grayson book.

I don't really know what extra mileage you get out of Slade Wilson being a statutory rapist (the most well, ackshually kind of rapist) anymore than you get anything extra from identity crisis making Dr Light a full on rapist who chose to mostly fight kids.

Seems like the kind of thing people are just going to pretend never happened a few years down the line, like Dick Grayson getting raped or Hal Jordans statutory rapist affair with Arisia.

benjipwns

« Reply #6276 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
More Daredevil you won't see in the MCU:

Bebpo

« Reply #6277 on: April 05, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Continuing my 2008 Marvel Unlimited reading, I read Omega: The Unknown the 2007/2008 re-imaging by novelist Jonathan Lethem who never worked on a comic book again after this 10 issue mini-series. Art by Farel Darlyrmple.

It's weird, and very wordy, but it's also kinda good even if it doesn't nail it to great? The crazy thing about it is that even though it's over a decade old, if it came out tomorrow it would feel very modern and 2021. So the social issues and vibe of it was way ahead of its time.

It has some clever weird stuff like the sorta bad guy is a tv B-list superhero who kidnaps other superheroes to study in a labyrinth and has his own fan club. And there's a superhero that is weird and doesn't talk and flies up and catches bird that he deep fries in a fried chicken van and eats, and a talking outer space dimensional head statue.

It kind of reminded me of The Sentry origin comic. But this was definitely more weird. This feels a lot closer to something Image or someone would publish than Marvel and within Marvel that made it interesting.

I'd recommend it if you are into weird brainy things.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6278 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Seems like the kind of thing people are just going to pretend never happened a few years down the line, like Dick Grayson getting raped or Hal Jordans statutory rapist affair with Arisia.

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2009/01/hal-jordan-is-a-pedophile/

We get a lot of questions about this one, both on our message board and via email. "Hal Jordan is a pedophile" is our own little meme, like "Superman is a dick" or "It sucks being Sue Storm!" Of course, just like those, ours has a real basis in the comics.

It started with the character of Arisia, a 13-year-old GL with some serious daddy issues. She developed a crush on Hal, and in Green Lantern #205 and 206, she used her ring to physically mature her body so Hal would like her back. That link has a better analysis of the situation than we could manage, so go enjoy. Anyway, the story ends with Hal dry-humping this girl in a cave about an hour after he notices the change. Big hero.

left, Arisia in her first appearance; right, Hal grinding on her

Several writers kept this relationship alive, which means that Hal knew Arisia was actually still a child, but carried on a serial relationship with her anyway. It's recently been retconned that "13" on her home planet is equivalent to our "240," but that sure as hell wasn't the case when the character (and the concept) was introduced.

A more recent example comes from The Brave and the Bold #2, where Hal is flying in space with the new Supergirl:

I don't care how hot the girl is, normal people don't need to remind themselves when someone is underage. Especially not with such... fervor. I mean, come on, the guy works side by side with Black Canary - where's the comic that spends pages and pages on him reminding himself that she's married to Green Arrow?

Although, in Hal's defense, Supergirl did eventually end up dressing like this for him, so... wait, I forget how that was supposed to be mitigating. He was still forced to remind himself that she was underage. Let's face it: Hal Jordan is a pedophile.

:yikes
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6279 on: April 06, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
yeah its suuuuuuuuuuuper fucked up (and that article doesn't even cover how they originally hooked up basically as frat boy date rape, because guy gardner got her piss drunk as a 'present' for Hal :rofl) which is why its never brought up.

There's a pretty interesting JSA (I think?) subplot where Alan Scott is all "INAPPROPES SON" to Shazam because him and Stargirl are getting close and it's a secret that The Real Captain Marvel is actually a 15 year old kid and so is she and he cuts relations because he doesnt want the adult supes knowing hes really just a kid, but Alan Scott is fine with his protege Hal actually banging a 1000 year old dragon totally normal alien girl

Bebpo

« Reply #6280 on: April 08, 2021, 11:29:04 PM »
Almost done reading this 2007 run of Howard the Duck vs. M.O.D.O.T. and this is my first experience with Howard the Duck since I was like a kid and he's actually pretty great as grumpy old man here? I remember they made a movie when I was a kid.

It's such a weird IP. Why is it Marvel? Why does it exist? Will Howard the Duck be in the MCU at some point?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6281 on: April 09, 2021, 04:14:15 AM »

:expert

as to the why, I'm pretty sure like most everything marvel + '70s, the answers the same: drugs.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #6282 on: April 12, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »