Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819128 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #6240 on: March 27, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »
There's an old issue of (I assume) Fantastic Four I saw a few years ago where PASTE POT PETE attacks Sue Storm and shoots glue all over her sticking her to the floor and it looks like well, you know...

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6241 on: March 27, 2021, 06:53:55 PM »
There's an old issue of (I assume) Fantastic Four I saw a few years ago where PASTE POT PETE attacks Sue Storm and shoots glue all over her sticking her to the floor and it looks like well, you know...

I love how in continuity paste pot pete is such a shit name that even after he rebrands as the Trapster everyone still calls him paste pot pete  :lol

ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6242 on: March 27, 2021, 07:41:31 PM »

Tasty

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6244 on: April 01, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »
Slade was hard confirmed as not ever fucking Terra in Priest's Deathstroke run just a few years ago, and he still caught shit from the characters in the book for his prior dealings with her. Kind of weird to take such a stand against something deliberately excised from the canon in every modern adaptation.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6245 on: April 02, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
Deathstrokes relationship with Terra was always fucked up, inappropriate and manipulative and was never shown as anything other than that, because it was literally supposed to be a thematic 'dark mirror' to Dick Graysons own relationship with Bruce Wayne.
That's why it happened in what was pretty much a Dick Grayson book.

I don't really know what extra mileage you get out of Slade Wilson being a statutory rapist (the most well, ackshually kind of rapist) anymore than you get anything extra from identity crisis making Dr Light a full on rapist who chose to mostly fight kids.

Seems like the kind of thing people are just going to pretend never happened a few years down the line, like Dick Grayson getting raped or Hal Jordans statutory rapist affair with Arisia.

benjipwns

« Reply #6246 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
More Daredevil you won't see in the MCU:

Bebpo

« Reply #6247 on: April 05, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Continuing my 2008 Marvel Unlimited reading, I read Omega: The Unknown the 2007/2008 re-imaging by novelist Jonathan Lethem who never worked on a comic book again after this 10 issue mini-series. Art by Farel Darlyrmple.

It's weird, and very wordy, but it's also kinda good even if it doesn't nail it to great? The crazy thing about it is that even though it's over a decade old, if it came out tomorrow it would feel very modern and 2021. So the social issues and vibe of it was way ahead of its time.

It has some clever weird stuff like the sorta bad guy is a tv B-list superhero who kidnaps other superheroes to study in a labyrinth and has his own fan club. And there's a superhero that is weird and doesn't talk and flies up and catches bird that he deep fries in a fried chicken van and eats, and a talking outer space dimensional head statue.

It kind of reminded me of The Sentry origin comic. But this was definitely more weird. This feels a lot closer to something Image or someone would publish than Marvel and within Marvel that made it interesting.

I'd recommend it if you are into weird brainy things.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6248 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Seems like the kind of thing people are just going to pretend never happened a few years down the line, like Dick Grayson getting raped or Hal Jordans statutory rapist affair with Arisia.

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2009/01/hal-jordan-is-a-pedophile/

We get a lot of questions about this one, both on our message board and via email. "Hal Jordan is a pedophile" is our own little meme, like "Superman is a dick" or "It sucks being Sue Storm!" Of course, just like those, ours has a real basis in the comics.

It started with the character of Arisia, a 13-year-old GL with some serious daddy issues. She developed a crush on Hal, and in Green Lantern #205 and 206, she used her ring to physically mature her body so Hal would like her back. That link has a better analysis of the situation than we could manage, so go enjoy. Anyway, the story ends with Hal dry-humping this girl in a cave about an hour after he notices the change. Big hero.

(Image removed from quote.)
left, Arisia in her first appearance; right, Hal grinding on her

Several writers kept this relationship alive, which means that Hal knew Arisia was actually still a child, but carried on a serial relationship with her anyway. It's recently been retconned that "13" on her home planet is equivalent to our "240," but that sure as hell wasn't the case when the character (and the concept) was introduced.

A more recent example comes from The Brave and the Bold #2, where Hal is flying in space with the new Supergirl:

I don't care how hot the girl is, normal people don't need to remind themselves when someone is underage. Especially not with such... fervor. I mean, come on, the guy works side by side with Black Canary - where's the comic that spends pages and pages on him reminding himself that she's married to Green Arrow?

Although, in Hal's defense, Supergirl did eventually end up dressing like this for him, so... wait, I forget how that was supposed to be mitigating. He was still forced to remind himself that she was underage. Let's face it: Hal Jordan is a pedophile.

:yikes
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6249 on: April 06, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
yeah its suuuuuuuuuuuper fucked up (and that article doesn't even cover how they originally hooked up basically as frat boy date rape, because guy gardner got her piss drunk as a 'present' for Hal :rofl) which is why its never brought up.

There's a pretty interesting JSA (I think?) subplot where Alan Scott is all "INAPPROPES SON" to Shazam because him and Stargirl are getting close and it's a secret that The Real Captain Marvel is actually a 15 year old kid and so is she and he cuts relations because he doesnt want the adult supes knowing hes really just a kid, but Alan Scott is fine with his protege Hal actually banging a 1000 year old dragon totally normal alien girl

Bebpo

« Reply #6250 on: April 08, 2021, 11:29:04 PM »
Almost done reading this 2007 run of Howard the Duck vs. M.O.D.O.T. and this is my first experience with Howard the Duck since I was like a kid and he's actually pretty great as grumpy old man here? I remember they made a movie when I was a kid.

It's such a weird IP. Why is it Marvel? Why does it exist? Will Howard the Duck be in the MCU at some point?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6251 on: April 09, 2021, 04:14:15 AM »

:expert

as to the why, I'm pretty sure like most everything marvel + '70s, the answers the same: drugs.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #6252 on: April 12, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #6253 on: June 08, 2021, 09:22:54 PM »
Batman Earth One Book 3 finally came out (GEOFF JOHNS) and it was pretty good, he almost pulled off the twist too.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6254 on: June 18, 2021, 01:02:51 AM »
Venom #200 was finally released this week, ending the delayed King In Black event.  They changed up the character completely.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eddie Brock is now the new "King In Black" and has control of all of the symbiotes in the universe, except for one- Venom.  So he's basically like a god now and through the symbiotes can be in multiple places at once, talking to people and doing things.  This has also taken a physical toll on his body and he looks like an old man.  They don't seem to have a design finalized, though, because depending on who drew the page, he either looks younger, bigger (fitter), or looks like David Letterman with his beard.

The Venom symbiote is now independent of the whole symbiote collective and can think/talk on its own.  Predictably, it ends up bonding with Eddie's son, Dylan, who is now the new Venom.  Venom gets a bit of a redesign and has chains wrapped around his forearms.

New plotlines introduced:

Flash Thompson was resurrected during the King In Black storyline and is back as "Agent Venom" with a white symbiote suit.  He finds out that some of the symbiotes have bonded with various people and they're being hunted down and killed.  Eddie also recommends him to join the Avengers.

The Maker, who is Reed Richards from the Ultimate universe turned insane villain, came to the mainline 616 universe some time ago and popped in the Venom comics getting help to repair an artificial symbiote taken from his universe, correctly guessing that the symbiotes somehow allow for travel between realities.  Eddie has found out that he went back to the destroyed Ultimate universe because he wants to join "The Council Of Reeds", a group of Reed Richards from various realities, and do that he has to restore his own reality first.  For whatever reason he has to do bad shit in the mainline universe first and holy shit this is confusing as hell.  Especially when the Ultimate universe was shown in an older Spider-Man comic to have been brought back and all the dead characters restored a few years ago. 
[close]
:mindblown :confused
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6255 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:31 PM »
Council of Reeds, like "Council of Ricks"?
That's really lame. I mean, sure, it's a natural fit. But the only lower-hanging fruit than that is Rick Sanchez' scrotum.
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6256 on: June 21, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »
Council of Reeds, like "Council of Ricks"?
That's really lame. I mean, sure, it's a natural fit. But the only lower-hanging fruit than that is Rick Sanchez' scrotum.
[close]

The concept was introduced in Hickmans FF run a decade or so back, so I think there's a strong argument for the who's ripping who off to be the other way round

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6257 on: June 29, 2021, 04:52:38 AM »
:mindblown.gif

Thanks for the correction! Seriously!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6258 on: June 29, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
:mindblown.gif

Thanks for the correction! Seriously!

I didn't know that either!   :lol

They just did it again with Mephisto and introduced "The council of reds."    :P
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6259 on: June 30, 2021, 04:43:44 AM »
Hickmans stuff is pretty good; I'd recommend his FF run, although it basically then leads straight into his Avengers run. which then also basically leads straight into Secret Wars, so hopefully you got a spare few hours :lol

Further evidence in the "whos ripping off who" column is the latest Rick & Morty introduced a Namor expy as Ricks Nemesis :thinking

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6260 on: June 30, 2021, 04:48:19 AM »
They just did it again with Mephisto and introduced "The council of reds."    :P

I liked the idea of Mephisto + a few other characters (like Mojo) being multiversal constants (theres only the one version of them you deal with from any dimension) so I don't like that idea in principle, along with the fact that Mephisto by his nature isn't going to work well as a team  :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6261 on: June 30, 2021, 08:32:49 AM »

I liked the idea of Mephisto + a few other characters (like Mojo) being multiversal constants (theres only the one version of them you deal with from any dimension) so I don't like that idea in principle, along with the fact that Mephisto by his nature isn't going to work well as a team  :(

Yeah- for those characters, having one version who is all over the multiverse makes more sense.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6262 on: August 05, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6263 on: August 07, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
made more sense than neal adams batman: odyssey

:kermit

benjipwns

« Reply #6264 on: August 09, 2021, 11:25:03 PM »
Gideon Falls has a decent hook to start, is decent enough to continue that I kept going, but the ending was pretty dumb. It had just started to get back to interesting again.

benjipwns

« Reply #6265 on: August 10, 2021, 11:19:40 PM »
@Tasty:
https://ew.com/books/robin-comes-out-as-bisexual-in-batman-urban-legends-comic/
There's a new LGBTQ superhero on the block, but DC Comics readers already know him well.

The latest issue of Batman: Urban Legends, a monthly anthology series, revealed that the Caped Crusader's longtime sidekick Robin, specifically the Tim Drake version of him, is bisexual.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6266 on: August 10, 2021, 11:26:30 PM »
Tim Drake? Seriously?

It feels like making nuTrek's Sulu gay. Like, something that was just a reaction, and not well thought out.

Tasty

« Reply #6267 on: August 10, 2021, 11:29:30 PM »

From 2016. 🤷‍♂️

I have mixed feelings and I'm going to take some time to process and reflect.

Tasty

« Reply #6268 on: August 10, 2021, 11:32:17 PM »
Since Timmy's rarely in the news for anything except getting murdered across various continuities, here's some fanart to celebrate.

Does Marcus To art count as fanart? :thinking He drew the Red Robin series...

This is my ideal Tim Drake, mostly the pre-New 52 golden era.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Tasty

« Reply #6270 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/08/11/some-big-changes-for-tim-drake

Okay, don’t freak out. Don’t freak out. All right, fine, you can freak out, but please freak respectfully. As of August 10th, 2021, your headcanon is real: Tim Drake dates boys.

I still have mixed opinions (and I think having a negative reaction is perfectly valid), but damn it this shameless appeal to the Tim Drake fan crowd has actually won me over. The Tumblr/AO3 writers I followed years ago are probably running DC now and I ain't even mad.

Fuck it, you win DC. :trumps Buying a physical comic book for the first time in 15 years.

That is, whenever the second printing hits...

And now DC Comics has sold out of the comic in question, decided that there may be more demand, and has sent Batman: Urban Legends #6 to a second printing. No cover revealed yet, but odds are it will have Tim Drake and Bernard Dowd on the cover…

Plus, no Steph erasure...

The comic’s writer, Meghan Fitzman, told Polygon that they’re deliberately not putting a label on the character’s feelings as of yet. “I wanted to pay tribute to the fact that sexuality is a journey,” Fitzmartin said. “To be clear, his feelings for Stephanie have been/are 100 percent real, as are his feelings for Bernard. However, Tim is still figuring himself out. I don’t think he has the language for it all… yet.”

Tasty

« Reply #6271 on: August 19, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZycqLnSRT/

Marcus To is my favorite comic book artist, worked on my favorite series (Red Robin), and did this special art in support of my favorite comic book character. The world is good. :heart

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:11:36 PM by D3RANG3D »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6273 on: September 09, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
DC keep trying to soften the edges of batman and make him go home and be a family man, but it never sticks because people like batman as broken bad ass loner whos one bad day away from ending up in arkham himself.

Cassandra Cain was cool then they ruined her.
Spoiler was cool then they ruined her.
Jason Todd was always shit, then they brought him back for some fucking reason  ???
Barbara Gordon was cool AS FUCK as Oracle then they ruined her.
Tim Drake was cool then they ruined him by killing off his dad, replacing him with jason fucking todd, and then not knowing what to do with him and shuffling him under the carpet. I guess now hes bi he has a differentiator that might get him some storylines at least.

:idont

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6274 on: September 09, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »

benjipwns

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:03:47 PM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #6276 on: October 13, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »
I will honest, while glad for the character and the possibilities, but who gives a fuck? Why does the general public needs to care about Supes son enjoying tacos and hotdogs equally? Why is this ruining comics? Why is this saving comics? Why I don’t totally hate that dude pink hair?

Most people that will start bitching about it will be people that don’t even know is not Clark Kent and will just make the idiots bitch about it while tumblr writers stay mediocre.

It just not on me to care anymore about comics, and publicity stunts like this just make more cynical even if the storyline makes perfect sense or could be good (because we know DC or Marvel don’t shit the bed themselves/sarcasm).

Glad, for you Tasty, thought. I miss being exited for comic books.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:01:21 PM by Boredfrom »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6277 on: October 14, 2021, 08:20:09 AM »
I was excited when they announced that work had been done on Fell and they were going to finish it off, but then the publisher remembered that warren ellis is #cancelled and now so is fell

Boredfrom

« Reply #6278 on: October 14, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
I was excited when they announced that work had been done on Fell and they were going to finish it off, but then the publisher remembered that warren ellis is #cancelled and now so is fell

The ball is also on Ellis given how horrible has mismanaged the whole ordeal has become. I don’t think being a pervert creep merits cancellation, but I expected more that “I’m going to wait a year to all this blow over. Oh shit, they remember. I’m going to apologize again”. I think that group of women are full of shit when they are saying that “they just want to heal and to him to improve” but is cringe his solution was “wait a year and pretend it didn’t happen”.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6279 on: October 14, 2021, 10:15:32 AM »

The ball is also on Ellis given how horrible has mismanaged the whole ordeal has become. I don’t think being a pervert creep merits cancellation, but I expected more that “I’m going to wait a year to all this blow over. Oh shit, they remember. I’m going to apologize again”. I think that group of women are full of shit when they are saying that “they just want to heal and to him to improve” but is cringe his solution was “wait a year and pretend it didn’t happen”.

All the scripts were done ages ago, it was the artist who was the hold up, then they came out excitedly going "GONNA RELEASE FINISH FOR FELL Y'ALL!" and then the twitterati made their displeasure felt

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/warren-ellis-image-comics-fell-canceled-1234974036/

benjipwns

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6281 on: October 17, 2021, 07:21:20 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #6282 on: December 13, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
I finished reading Matt Fraction/David Aja's Hawkeye run. It was alright. Kind not as good as people hype it up to be.

The best part is the art and panel layouts. It looked really stylish and nice. I feel like Fraction is great at coming out with quirky story concepts and characters. The loser Clint Barton here is great, Kate Bishop is awesome, the tracksuit bros are great. But then after the initial issues he's not really great at following through with a story and stuff just jumps around with so-so stories and eventually ties together in the end.

Now the only Fraction-led stuff I've read are this and Sex Criminals, so I'm basing this off a very limited amount of his work. But Sex Criminals was fun and quirky for a few volumes and then it got kind of dumb and pointless and going nowhere and I bailed around vol.4-5 or something.

Sure he co-wrote Immortal Iron Fist which was GREAT, but the other co-writer was Brubaker and Brubaker is really good at telling stories imo.

So at first watching Hawkeye TV I wished they took more from the comic since they really didn't take much from it outside the tracksuit mafia and Kate Bishop being a character along with Pizza Dog and a few scenes, but after reading the run I think it's probably better that they aren't doing those storylines because they just aren't that great. Though I do with MCU Hawkeye was more of a bumbling loser hero like Clint is in the comic.

benjipwns

« Reply #6283 on: December 14, 2021, 06:19:06 AM »
Read some stuff:
Batman Universe - Bendis, but good! This was one of the better things he's done in a while that I've seen. This was fun, self-contained.

Checkmate (2021) - Bendis again, but bad! This was the second half of Event Leviathan and like that it was well stupid. Basically nothing happened. But it was written like lots of intense things were occurring and everything was VERY SERIOUS.

Guardians of the Galaxy (1990-95) - The original team! Has basically nothing to do with the movie versions. Although sorta similar characters did show up in Vol. 2. The most similar character is Yondu. Who is similar in both this and the movies in that he's blue.

But this was fun. At one point it gets really 90s including horrible inhuman looking art. But I liked its world building of a Marvel universe a thousand years in the future. It was apparently inspired by and came about because of the success of Star Trek: TNG. Ends with a bunch of dangling threads because it was cancelled rather abruptly. The backstory for this team goes back to 1969 and is spread over some random ass books like The Defenders and stuff like Marvel Two-In-One and it seems like you're missing a lot if you haven't read those but ultimately I don't think it matters it's just kind of this backstory you didn't actually read. I had read some of it coming across other Marvel stuff, like The Defenders, and I felt like I was missing something, but not really, it's just the way it was written to include all this stuff as some kind of canon to the team when it was obscure stories from decades earlier.

Also literally nothing about any of the time travel in the series makes any sense. The part where they ventured outside the multiverse (!!!) and deal with a cosmic paradox makes more sense than any of the time travel. Overall I liked it, though some of it was really dumb and also like I did not see what the writer saw in one of the eventual main characters on the series but he totally seemed to love this stupid character when I was sorta hoping he'd go away like others. (Nope, he stays with the team for the remaining 40 issues being awful the entire time!)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6284 on: December 14, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
I finished reading Matt Fraction/David Aja's Hawkeye run. It was alright. Kind not as good as people hype it up to be.

Now the only Fraction-led stuff I've read are this and Sex Criminals, so I'm basing this off a very limited amount of his work. But Sex Criminals was fun and quirky for a few volumes and then it got kind of dumb and pointless and going nowhere and I bailed around vol.4-5 or something.

Same- no idea how (if?) that series ended- I just lost interest.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6285 on: December 14, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy (1990-95) - The original team! Has basically nothing to do with the movie versions. Although sorta similar characters did show up in Vol. 2. The most similar character is Yondu. Who is similar in both this and the movies in that he's blue.

But this was fun. At one point it gets really 90s including horrible inhuman looking art. But I liked its world building of a Marvel universe a thousand years in the future. It was apparently inspired by and came about because of the success of Star Trek: TNG. Ends with a bunch of dangling threads because it was cancelled rather abruptly. The backstory for this team goes back to 1969 and is spread over some random ass books like The Defenders and stuff like Marvel Two-In-One and it seems like you're missing a lot if you haven't read those but ultimately I don't think it matters it's just kind of this backstory you didn't actually read. I had read some of it coming across other Marvel stuff, like The Defenders, and I felt like I was missing something, but not really, it's just the way it was written to include all this stuff as some kind of canon to the team when it was obscure stories from decades earlier.

Also literally nothing about any of the time travel in the series makes any sense. The part where they ventured outside the multiverse (!!!) and deal with a cosmic paradox makes more sense than any of the time travel. Overall I liked it, though some of it was really dumb and also like I did not see what the writer saw in one of the eventual main characters on the series but he totally seemed to love this stupid character when I was sorta hoping he'd go away like others. (Nope, he stays with the team for the remaining 40 issues being awful the entire time!)

The furry cat guy?   :lol

Calling it the Marvel version of TNG fits pretty well.  I just remember it drawing back to so many 20th century things that it was ridiculous- Sure, they could only go with what they had to work with at the time, but even the writers had to realize how dumb it was for so much of the 31st century 'culture' they were creating to be drawing from one point in the 1980s/1990s, lol.

I remember there being a spin-off book that didn't last too long- The Galactic Guardians or some shit?  With an aged Wonder Man (Hollywood!), Ghost Rider, Phoenix, and some other characters. 

Can definitely understand why the movies did not draw at all from this version of the GoTG apart from using Yondu as a completely different character.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #6286 on: December 19, 2021, 10:43:02 AM »
The furry cat guy?   :lol
Yes, Talon. He was awful but it was fine. But then they made him worse by turning him first into Dr. Strange BUT MORE POWERFUL, then revealing he's the "last" Inhuman and then making him push to become the leader of the group. (Even though for most of the series the group never had a leader but operated by consensus.)

I just remember it drawing back to so many 20th century things that it was ridiculous- Sure, they could only go with what they had to work with at the time, but even the writers had to realize how dumb it was for so much of the 31st century 'culture' they were creating to be drawing from one point in the 1980s/1990s, lol.
Oh, yes, this. Time froze for a thousand years around 1989 apparently. Most of this problem was because they kept going back to Earth. Earth was the least interesting place in the galaxy, but they kept going back to it. It was cool to go the first time, just to find out what it was like, but after that they practically lived there for 20 issues or so before going back out to the galaxy before then coming BACK to Earth for another long period.

I remember there being a spin-off book that didn't last too long- The Galactic Guardians or some shit?  With an aged Wonder Man (Hollywood!), Ghost Rider, Phoenix, and some other characters. 
Yeah, just four issues, and all the ongoing plots came from and then continued on in the regular book. I actually liked the idea of them setting up multiple teams. It would have been cool to bounce back and forth among the teams and you could easily explain it away as the other teams having down and travel time to get to the next adventure worth popping in on.

The GotG at one point were the obvious loser and weak team, that barely had any actual powers, with "Major Victory" running around with a mullet and Cap's shield. Meanwhile the Galactic Guardians had a specced up Vision, Martinex (the brains of the Guardians to where the first team couldn't even operate most of the ship once he left to the second team), Wonder Man, Ghost Rider, Phoenix, Firelord, etc. But the book spent all its time on the first team and treated them as these well known galactic badasses, with a bunch of that legacy having been established by the characters in the second team!

Tasty

« Reply #6287 on: January 03, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/did-dc-comics-change-superman-son-of-kal-el-6-seems-so-spoilers/

Just your typical Tim erasure, can't wait for the next one. 🙄

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6288 on: January 03, 2022, 05:50:52 PM »
Some interesting videos on this channel:

ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6289 on: January 04, 2022, 08:19:58 AM »
I've always felt bad for Jim Shooter, it just seems like he was a dude who fucking loved comics, wanted to treat people fairly (creators and audiences alike) and was just a victim of office politicking, greed, and unchecked egos.

Bebpo

« Reply #6290 on: January 10, 2022, 12:15:41 AM »
Man, The Sandman issue #6 24 hours with Doctor Destiny was reaaaaally dark. Listening to the audiobook adaptation. I saw they're doing that as ep5 of the Netflix show. If they don't tone it down, which I'm sure they will to a degree, that's gonna be a rough watch.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Bebpo

« Reply #6293 on: February 02, 2022, 07:37:41 PM »
After like THREE OR FOUR YEARS of getting through all the Marvel comics between Civil War (2006) and Secret Invasion (2008) I finally finished the list:

https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/marvel-comics-from-civil-war-to-secret-invasion/

And started on Secret Invasion. Been a while since I read a big event. It's pretty exciting although I'm finding it weird because reading Marvel from like the 1990s to 2008, Skrulls were always a joke and then Secret Invasion starts and they are like terrorist attacking the whole world and shit is super violent and dark.

It kind of just seems like a re-tread of Civil War though? Like "you can't trust each other" so the superheroes fight each other. Like...that was Civil War just one event back!

I'm very curious how Disney will adapt this with Sam Jackson as a light disney+ comedy series since uhhhhh, the comic event is very much not that!

Tasty

« Reply #6294 on: February 02, 2022, 10:14:43 PM »

>:( Fuck you Bezos.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6295 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:37 PM »
After like THREE OR FOUR YEARS of getting through all the Marvel comics between Civil War (2006) and Secret Invasion (2008) I finally finished the list:

https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/marvel-comics-from-civil-war-to-secret-invasion/

And started on Secret Invasion. Been a while since I read a big event. It's pretty exciting although I'm finding it weird because reading Marvel from like the 1990s to 2008, Skrulls were always a joke and then Secret Invasion starts and they are like terrorist attacking the whole world and shit is super violent and dark.

It kind of just seems like a re-tread of Civil War though? Like "you can't trust each other" so the superheroes fight each other. Like...that was Civil War just one event back!

I'm very curious how Disney will adapt this with Sam Jackson as a light disney+ comedy series since uhhhhh, the comic event is very much not that!

I enjoyed this event series- the tie-in issues, focusing on the Skrull imposters' back stories, were the best parts.
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6296 on: February 03, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »

:o

Wow, that's quite the time commitment - I couldn't be bothered with most of those books even when I was actively trying to follow continuity as it was happening, let alone now a bunch of its been retconned away.

Civil War sucks, but some of the spring off books like The Initiative are pretty good; you can probably see how Secret Invasion was of the zeitgeist of the time, what with it being about religious zealots infiltrating in sleeper cells before unleashing a terrorist attack, but it's less about supes vs supes and more about trust in power structures.

Which gets dialled up to 11 in Dark Reign, which is honestly one of the most creatively entertaining periods I've read in Marvel Comics; there's always been a slightly subversive 'distrust authority' element to Marvel, from the X-Men regularly getting government funded sentinels up their ass, to Cap fighting the shadow council and rejecting the title of Captain America, but that was mostly on a book by book basis. To have the entire universe go "Nah, the government are the bad guys" as status quo is pretty great for shaking up all sorts of stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #6297 on: February 05, 2022, 11:44:40 PM »
https://www.gamesradar.com/tim-drake-robin-dc/

Wonderful little recap article on Timmy.

Bebpo

« Reply #6298 on: February 07, 2022, 11:59:38 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to Dark Reign.

I'm still working through Secret Invasion. Man, these events w/tie-ins are HUGE in terms of the amount of issues. Thought it was gonna be a one or two night kind of read, but it's gonna take me a week or two. I'm still only about midway.

I do think it's hilarious what a huge retcon opportunity thing Secret Invasion is. Any prior event, character death, character change, whatever can be explained by OH THAT WAS ACTUALLY A SKRULL -_-

Always wondered how comics could do huge retcons getting rid of entire events but now I see how.

The Secret Invasion Black Panther tie-in is pretty good. Does a good job showing total badass leader T'Challa vs grizzled "I'm too old for this shit" Skrull military commander.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6299 on: February 15, 2022, 09:04:24 PM »
USA Amazon has been a shitshow for accessing my video and audio purchases when physically located in Japan. Books and audiobooks have been exempt. Until now: With the merger of Comixology into Kindle, and an update to the Terms-and-Conditions, subscriptions for overseas users are discontinued. I'm worried if I'll be able to download my purchases once they're fully implemented. I loathe the idea that I have to have a VPN to use stuff I've legitimately fucking purchased.

Me, right now, to Amazon:
http://twitter.com/birault_serge/status/1489290025837772802