Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 824878 times)

Tasty

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #6300 on: February 15, 2022, 10:06:39 PM »
Fuck Amazon, the DoJ, and the FTC for the successful buyout of Comixology, a once-fantastic service. RIP.

Fuck you Bezos.

Tasty

« Reply #6301 on: February 19, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »

Borealis

« Reply #6302 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:41 PM »
The DRM-Free comics selection is gone :(, get fucked Amazon.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6303 on: February 19, 2022, 09:44:55 PM »
Gross.

« Reply #6304 on: February 20, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Sorry for the ad, but please support Hero Initiative.

It's a great charity, and it's releasing a limited edition trade paperback for JLA-Avengers to honor George Perez, who's dying of cancer.

https://www.heroinitiative.org/hero-initiative-offers-limited-reprint-of-jla-avengers/

Bebpo

« Reply #6305 on: February 24, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/25-years-oni-press-books

Any of these comics good? Never heard of any of them outside Scott Pilgrim.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6306 on: February 25, 2022, 05:34:13 AM »
Queen & Country is really good, especially if you like spy stuff like Spooks / Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - it's all about the contrasts between the high stakes tradecraft, and the petty bureaucracies and inter departmental rivalries, shabby government offices, and all for a crappy government pension at the end if you're lucky.

benjipwns

« Reply #6307 on: March 05, 2022, 12:29:20 PM »
I like Queen & Country too, no familiarity with what it ripped off so it didn't bother me.

I really like The Damned, it's not worth $25 though, especially since it never got finished and that bundle only has the first book. They restarted it a decade later and tried to extend it as a regular series but that died too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6309 on: March 10, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »
oh shit mike mignola is doing a D-MAN COMIC?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6310 on: March 10, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
New Humble comics bundle has both Rat Queens AND Saga in it soooooooooooo is yeah a pretty good bundle

Bebpo

« Reply #6311 on: March 10, 2022, 04:16:34 PM »
Yeah, I basically never buy Image comics and just wait every year or two for a new bundle to catch up on the series I read. Discount price comic reading ftwww

Here's the link btw:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/leading-ladies-featuring-saga-monstress-and-more-from-image-books

I read Monstress/Paper Girls/Saga and I was like 2-3 volumes behind each since the last bundle, so this is great for me. Plus a bunch of other stuff to check out.

What's Rat Queens about? The art turns me off and I had an ex into it to the point of annoyance so I never gave it a shot out of bitterness.

benjipwns

« Reply #6312 on: March 10, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »
Wayward is alright.

Paper Girls isn't really that good I don't think.

Monstress might be the best thing ongoing in comics.

Bebpo

« Reply #6313 on: March 10, 2022, 04:29:46 PM »
Paper Girls isn't really that good I don't think.

I liked the first two volumes but I'm pretty big on Vaughn and I find anything he writes enjoyable. No idea if it gets worse as it goes.

I swear I read Wayward many years ago but I don't have it in my digital folder of comics so idk. Might've deleted it for some reason. Will give it a skim and see if it refreshes my memory.

Bebpo

« Reply #6314 on: March 13, 2022, 04:49:24 AM »
Finished Marvel - Secret Invasion - Complete Event. That was really long. Must've been like 50-100 issues. I don't remember Civil War or Disassembled being that big with all the tie-ins.

Like you guys said, the best part were some of the tie-in series about various characters. Some good stuff like there was a good Black Panther story, the Inhumans bit was pretty cool and actually setups the next thing with War of Kings, Ares God of War was solid, enjoyed the Runaways/Young Avengers crossover. The X-men bit was solid too and ended strong. The main event was just ok. It started pretty good but then instead of having any actual plot it's just like Reed Richards lands and is like I have a gun that shows who the Skrulls are -> ok, big battle -> event over.

Anyhow, next up is Dark Reign and War of Kings. Probably gonna take a Marvel break for a bit and read some Image stuff before picking that up.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6315 on: March 14, 2022, 01:12:39 AM »

(…)
What's Rat Queens about? The art turns me off and I had an ex into it to the point of annoyance so I never gave it a shot out of bitterness.

It’s a female party of adventures her swear and have sex and are violent, so it’s basically like watching somebody’s DND game. I liked the art, didn’t like the writing.

Tasty

« Reply #6316 on: March 16, 2022, 12:35:36 AM »
https://gizmodo.com/dc-comics-marvel-pride-month-reveals-1848655053/slides/2

If you guessed DC was planning the bigger Pride Month celebration and not the publisher whose parent company recently failed to speak out against an awful anti-LGBTQIA+ bill in Florida, congrats.

DC Pride: Tim Drake Special

This will collect the recent, fan-favorite stories published in Batman: Urban Legends series, in which the third Boy Wonder embraced his bisexuality and began a romance with his longtime friend Bernard Dowd. Although it’s only a one-shot comic, it’s 64 pages long, and will also include a new story which “sees Tim teaming up with his former Young Justice teammates and the Batgirls!” It’s coming June 14.

🤩

It may all just be corporate virtue signalling but at the end of the day I just like Tim Drake finally evolving after New 52 hard reset him back to mid-teenager. So much growth undone...

Bebpo

« Reply #6317 on: March 16, 2022, 06:44:22 AM »
Read Gaiman's Eternals run. Was surprising how close a lot of the movie stuff was. Definitely a lot was changed but the movie is basically an adaptation of this run. Prefer the movie plot/characters tbh, only thing I liked better in the comic is the deviants.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6318 on: March 16, 2022, 10:05:57 PM »
Read Gaiman's Eternals run. Was surprising how close a lot of the movie stuff was. Definitely a lot was changed but the movie is basically an adaptation of this run. Prefer the movie plot/characters tbh, only thing I liked better in the comic is the deviants.
I liked Gaiman's turn on Miracle Man, after Moore's work. I'd like to re-read those all.

benjipwns

« Reply #6320 on: April 25, 2022, 09:01:25 PM »
Just came to post that, kinda weird that it's only the first book of Astro City. No idea why anyone would buy the two medium five item bundle tiers when the top one gives you tons more issues for only a bit more.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6321 on: April 26, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »
a lot of recent bundles have been 'default top tier / shit value anything less than top tier'. I guess they're looking to phase out 'lesser' bundles eventually.

:idont

Borealis

« Reply #6322 on: May 14, 2022, 11:35:39 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/supermassive-heavy-metal-books

Thoughts on this line up?

I've been buying a heap of these DRM-free bundles of late starting with Rebellion's one, one of the few way's now.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6323 on: May 27, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »
New Humble comics bundle for Top Cow

The only thing I can attest to is that Rising Stars is really good; I'm pretty sure Loeb 'borrowed' liberally for the Tv show Heroes.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/supermassive-heavy-metal-books

Thoughts on this line up?

I've been buying a heap of these DRM-free bundles of late starting with Rebellion's one, one of the few way's now.

Didn't replay, because I've never read any of them :idont

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6324 on: June 07, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-new-team-dark-crisis-members/amp/

DC with yet another crisis event.  They killed off the Justice League and are replacing them with some of the younger heroes and some former villains. 

ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6325 on: June 07, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »
So uhhhhh just on a purely pragmatic level, why would you choose to have two supes with the exact same name on the same team?

Did Ted Kord getting a bullet in the fucking head get retconned?  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #6326 on: June 07, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »
Isn't this basically 5G? :thinking

Bebpo

« Reply #6327 on: June 07, 2022, 08:54:07 PM »
Finished Batman Unburied audiobook/audiodrama/podcast

It was ok. It had it's moments but overall I think it was a weak story. I really liked Lance Reddick as Thomas Wayne and Duke Winston was a great Bruce Wayne but I think a terrible Batman. His Batman voice is just ....lol. This version of the Riddler was pretty enjoyable.

Overall it's a very skippable story though. Listening to The Sandman Act II Audiobook it's like 1,000x better.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poison Ivy felt pretty thrown in. Probably would've been better just to do Hugo Strange.

I liked the Bruce dream stuff in the first two eps and the ending with Bruce & Riddler was good. The middle stuff was pretty meh.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #6328 on: June 07, 2022, 10:49:12 PM »
Did Ted Kord getting a bullet in the fucking head get retconned?  :doge
Ted came back during the New 52.

Tasty

« Reply #6329 on: June 14, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
Bought my first comic book in several years.

:-[

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Tasty

« Reply #6330 on: June 16, 2022, 03:49:26 PM »
:drudge Tim Drake Swings Into Center Stage With His Own Comic Series :drudge

As I was going through the Pride special I was taken aback by how well the author seemed to nail Tim's voice, and explicitly bringing back a character from his Robin series 20 years ago got me thinking DC *might* be prepping another Tim solo book. Throw Tim's new identity struggles into things and a new solo Tim series just makes too much sense.

I'm so excited. Red Robin remains my favorite comic book run ever.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:53:34 PM by Tasty »

Bebpo

« Reply #6331 on: June 23, 2022, 03:15:55 PM »
Started listening to the Squirrel Girl podcast. Pretty funny.

benjipwns

« Reply #6332 on: June 24, 2022, 08:00:23 AM »
Monstress is so good, what an amazing series still. Even if like maybe everything the pacing can be... off.

Also, I didn't know Fables was coming back. It really is 2004 again.

Bebpo

« Reply #6333 on: June 25, 2022, 10:17:23 PM »
Yeah, Squirrel Girl The Unbeatable Podcast was great and better than most Marvel TV shows.

Bebpo

« Reply #6334 on: July 02, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »
You know, I thought I had the complete Sandman run on my bookshelf backlog, but after finishing The Sandman Act II: Audio Drama (Issues 21-41) I was gonna read #1-41 because a few of the standalone arcs in this run were a bit hard to follow in the audio drama version.

But it turns out I only have the Annotated black & white version of #1-20, and Anno's Sandman GN. Looks like they're all free on Kindle Unlimited though with a 30 day trial so will use that.

Anyhow, in terms of volumes. I really liked Season of Mists which googling best Sandman arcs, seems like the fan favorite story arc of the bunch. Was the opening story arc for this set, so it started off with a bang. It's the lengthy story arc where:

Lucifer closes down hell and leaves giving Morpheus the key to hell and then gods of all kinds of pantheons come to try to bargain for it. Fantastic range of characters and really fun. Audio drama had awesome performances for everyone like David Tenant as Loki and Michael Sheen as Lucifer, Jeffrey Wright as Destiny, etc...
[close]

After which was Fables & Reflections which were one off tales that usually had about 5 mins of Morpheus showing up at the end. Most of these were great. The Johanna Constantine/French Revolution one was fantastic and I really liked the Augustus one and the Baghdad one. The Marco Pollo one was pretty hard to follow and is one I want to re-read. And the woodsman one was alright.

Now the main downside of this set of The Sandman was like 1/3rd of this Act was the volume A Game of You which is apparently the least fan favorite arc, but Gaiman's favorite. It's an Alice in Wonderland long ass story about Barbie & friends vs The Cuckoo and Morpheus is basically not in it at all. I found it a bit hard to follow, really long, and never particularly interesting. But will give it a re-read in comic form and see if I like it any better.

But damn, Season of Mists was so good. Would be cool if the Netflix adaptation gets that far. Would make a really great season.

Only going to read the comic through what I've listened to. The audio drama adaptation is so good that I don't want to spoil the remainder of the run, especially since Act III is already announced in production and the final Act IV seems a sure thing. Will listen to the whole thing, then read it all. Really good stuff overall, I'm naming my new black gothy male cat Dream after Morpheus.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6335 on: July 02, 2022, 07:27:41 PM »
Yeah, I have always been baffled by American Gods' success, as it felt like Gaiman just wanted to re-write Season of Mists but without Morpheus.

Bebpo

« Reply #6336 on: July 02, 2022, 07:39:13 PM »
Yeah, I have always been baffled by American Gods' success, as it felt like Gaiman just wanted to re-write Season of Mists but without Morpheus.

I mean they're both great. Gaiman does fun stuff with mythology. Though his Norse Mythology book wasn't as good as either of these.

Bebpo

« Reply #6337 on: July 02, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »
Also since this is the comics thread, in my continuing Marvel Unlimited chronological order readings, I started on War of Kings this week and going through it. Kinda fun space war stuff with Black Bolt/Inhumans leading the Kree in space war against Cyclop's crazy brother Vulcan now Emperor of the Shi'Ar & weird ass characters like Darkhawk and Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova and tears in the universe, etc.... Makes me wonder if we'll ever have a full build up of space stuff in MCU for a big space war arc.

Bebpo

« Reply #6338 on: July 03, 2022, 08:23:30 PM »

I was thinking some more about Season of Mists today and remembered that after the first part there is this like 2 issue kinda bad interlude where

To show the consequences of hell being closed on earth there's a boring two issue story about a kid stuck at school/orphanage for the summer and then all the ghosts of the past come back including the headmaster, and then ghost bullies mutilate and kill the kid and he goes to heaven.

Which is both dark and depressing and also boring
[close]

I really like The Sandman so far, but definitely feel like it has its ups and downs occasionally. Feels even more noticeable in audio format since you can't just read fast and get past it.

Tasty

« Reply #6339 on: July 18, 2022, 06:45:11 PM »
If you don't love me at my

You don't deserve me at my

Soooo excited for Tim Drake: Robin, it's starting right after my birthday and it's the first ongoing I'll be following in like 5 years. :hyper

benjipwns

« Reply #6340 on: July 18, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »
Doing a backflip out of a helicopter seems reckless even for a DC superhero.

Tasty

« Reply #6341 on: July 18, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »
I realized that was actually Dick (in that absolutely terribad retcon N52 costume I think I mocked in this very thread like 9 years ago...) so I replaced it with one of my favorite covers ever, One Year Later when Tim debuts his distinctive red and black costume. :D Drawn by RLM's own Freddie Williams III (who dapped me on Twitter for dapping the cover).

I've almost gotten that artwork framed (Robin leaping into the sunset) a few times....

Tasty

« Reply #6342 on: July 18, 2022, 06:58:50 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #6343 on: July 22, 2022, 04:07:54 PM »
Caught up to where I'm at in The Sandman in graphic novel format. Aka finished reading volumes 1-6.

Was good going back through this. Was neat seeing things mentioned/setup real early on become their own stories later. Very coherent run. I liked the Alice in Wonderland cuckoo/barbie arc better in the comic than the audio drama. Was easier to follow a completely different cast in a completely different world. But I liked Seasons of Mists and some of the one-off shorts like Johanna Constantine & Orpheus better in audio drama format where the various VAs and music added a bunch. There were a couple stories that were kinda ehh in both like the Marco Pollo one, but overall they're both great.

Can't say I'm always huge on the art style in the comic though. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's just really ugly. Very 80s style. Not my thing.

Will sub to Netflix next month for the TV adaptation. Expecting it to be pretty bad. But mostly want to see if they end the season on the Sound of Her Wings epilogue and if they do it any justice. That's a really good issue. Kat Dennings kills it so hard in the Audio Drama as Death. I like her little speech at the end of the story about the First Emperor of the United States (great tale) where she tells him she's met lots of emperors in her time but he's her favorite.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6344 on: July 24, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »
Can't say I'm always huge on the art style in the comic though. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's just really ugly. Very 80s style. Not my thing.

Its a weird one, because even though sam keith has co-creator credit he fucking hated the entire thing and didn't want anything to do with it, so he'd bounced by issue 3 and left the inker to do the art.
Which is weird, because The Maxx is pretty good looking, and also not a million miles away from the Dreaming as a concept. A Game Of You especially is hitting some of those same narrative notes.

Of the fill-in artists, I like McManus who has a very recognisable unrealistic style, but that I think really suits the overall dream / reality blend of the series.
Someone like Kelly Jones - I think I've talked about in this thread before - is also extremely stylised, but what looks super cool as a Batman cover with flowing cloaks and taloned gloves and shit doesn't work so well when you're supposed to be looking at a beautiful muse but they're rendered grotesque in their distortions and proportions.
Jill Thompsons lil Dream is iconic, but her regular stuff is only okayish.

I can't remember offhand any of the other fill-ins, but yeah, visually the series is all over the place.

benjipwns

« Reply #6345 on: July 29, 2022, 01:44:58 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-90s-books-rebundle
Spawn Origins Collection Vols. 1-20
Astro City (1995-1996) Vol. 1: Life in the Big City: New Edition
Battle Chasers Anthology (2019)
Savage Dragon Issues 1-102
Cyber Force Vol. 1: The Tin Men of War
Shadowhawk Chronicles Vol. 1
The Darkness Issues 1-41
Witchblade Issues 1-61
The Savage Dragon: Baptism of Fire

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-2000s-books
Spawn #124-#216
The Darkness #40-#100
Savage Dragon #103-#178
Witchblade #62-#153
The Mice Templar Vol. 3: A Midwinter Night's Dream
Berserker vol 1
Brit Vol. 1: Old Soldier
Jack Staff #1-#20
Long Hot Summer
Strange Girl Omnibus
The Darkness/Pitt
The Mice Templar Vol. 2: Destiny Part 1
The Mice Templar Vol. 2: Destiny Part 2
Invincible Vol. 1: Family Matters
Kane Vols. 1-6
Phonogram Vol. 1: Rue Britannia
Ant Vol. 1: Reality Bites
Bastard Samurai Vol. 1
Battle Hymn: Farewell to the First Golden Age
Capes Vol. 1
Fear Agent: Final Edition Vol. 2
Magdalena vol 1
Rising Stars: Compendium
The Mice Templar Vol. 1: Prophecy
The Last Christmas
Fear Agent: Final Edition Vol. 1
Midnight Nation
Ministry of Space
The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye

The complete bundles are each $25.

Tasty

« Reply #6346 on: August 23, 2022, 04:52:03 PM »

🥰

benjipwns

« Reply #6347 on: September 15, 2022, 12:06:32 AM »
Read some shits:
Jessica Jones (Alias - The Pulse - Jessica Jones): I liked this but I'm still not sure Bendis has ever heard actual human beings talk to each other, his internal monologues are fine but his dialogue often feels like his concept of what people talking to each other must sound like based on his reading of Buffy spec scripts. When aliens invade they're going to ask us to justify our existence with a single task, writing a dialogue, and they're going to pick Bendis to do this and we'll be wiped out. The last series contains an absolutely hilarious extended sequence where Sue Storm explains the wonderfulness that is having children and it may be the worst thing ever put in a Marvel comic book, no, not even Jeph Loeb could have conceived of something so horrific.

Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds: I love everything Young Animal did (except Eternity Girl blech) and this was no different. What I love about Way in particular (and Umbrella Academy does the same thing) is that he provides work that to the simple minded would seem "lol so random XD" but is actually intricately plotted in standard narrative forms. On its face you think that it could have just been done linearly and it wasn't done so just for effect but usually it's just because that's the best way for you to have all the information so that when the threads do come together the plot doesn't have to stop to impart that information. You weren't lost, you just didn't know why you needed to know that yet.

Far Sector: Young Animal published this but it's not like all the other stuff in that imprint, this is more of a standard Green Lantern story. A planet with three races forced together and with their emotions stripped has the first murder in thousands of years. Great world building really but two serious problems. First, after looking into the author (who has done well regarded novels like the Inheritance Trilogy) it's pretty clear that the main character is totally a self-insert for her, which makes the character even more lame. Worse though is that the plot completely ruins the world building and you're almost upset that it has a plot at all. So a society with no emotions allowed and three distinct races forced together out of necessity, obviously emotions are introduced and there's a conspiracy with a bad guy. But this winds up overturning the entire society and the book just treats it as fine, good actually, with a new golden age of emotions dawning at the end. WHAT? The book spends a lot of time on how the Green Lantern keeps her emotions and nobody gets this. But you can't inject emotions into a society that's lived without them, had the entire political structure torn apart and whole evil conspiracies exposed and then EVERYBODY IS JUST FINE. I want more Far Sector not because of anything Far Sector did deliberately as a story but because the world was interesting and you just fucked that shit up, NOW WHAT HAPPENS?!? But the last issue just portrays everything as great and the main character totally happy and having found herself. The ending is some serious Lucas going back and shoving in intergalactic celebrations to Return of the Jedi shit.

Wasteland: Really liked this, it has some similarities to East of West in premise but everything else is pretty different. Unlike Far Sector it actually took time to grapple with the changes it was introducing into these established societies but wouldn't be able to keep telling the stories of. If I had to complain the reveal is kinda dopey, you can telegraph it from like the second piece of evidence and it's not pulled off well enough to justify using it as the explanation. I know you have to have the explanation a lot of times but this might have been better had it never actually been explained. Part of it is that some of the characters react to learning the truth but it's totally rushed and can't give it the weight you'd want. A bigger complaint is that some of the art is pretty bad. If you're going to do a black and white comic I'm going to have to beg you not to draw multiple characters who look the same, I don't care that it's more realistic to have the characters with similar hair styles and facial hair, I need you to mix them up if you're not going to name the character so I think it's some other dude whose done similar things and it turns out to be this other dude who him doing that thing is like really important and out of the ordinary. I actually wouldn't have minded much if this series had done the Walking Dead thing of refusing to explain and then going on for another forty issues to introduce other aspects of the world. There's actually a really fun late game tease, that I'm not sure was supposed to be a tease but is the first time you actually get something beyond just references, about the other major society in the immediate world that I really would have liked learning about how they react to the events in the part of the world we did learn about.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6348 on: September 15, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
I don't keep up with DC at all anymore- they are doing another Crisis and adding even more multiverse shit...AGAIN?!

:dead
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6349 on: September 15, 2022, 01:28:53 PM »
Read some shits:
Jessica Jones (Alias - The Pulse - Jessica Jones): I liked this but I'm still not sure Bendis has ever heard actual human beings talk to each other, his internal monologues are fine but his dialogue often feels like his concept of what people talking to each other must sound like based on his reading of Buffy spec scripts. When aliens invade they're going to ask us to justify our existence with a single task, writing a dialogue, and they're going to pick Bendis to do this and we'll be wiped out. The last series contains an absolutely hilarious extended sequence where Sue Storm explains the wonderfulness that is having children and it may be the worst thing ever put in a Marvel comic book, no, not even Jeph Loeb could have conceived of something so horrific.

One thing I remember reading it at the time that I thought was legitimately pretty cool and that you don't see happen that often, was that Alias was coming out concurrently with his (really good!) Daredevil run, and there are a couple of scenes that are in both books from each characters different perspective.

I also think it's really funny (although I think this is from New Avengers rather than from Alias) that Jessica Jones and Peter Parker both went to the same high school, and Jessica Jones was an even bigger loser than Peter Parker was, and had a massive crush on him and he didn't even know she existed

benjipwns

« Reply #6350 on: September 15, 2022, 01:38:30 PM »
I don't keep up with DC at all anymore- they are doing another Crisis and adding even more multiverse shit...AGAIN?!

:dead
No, this is just the continuing fallout from when they made everything canon a few years ago, now they're bringing back stuff that got previously shunted out of the canon with the first Crisis.

I also think it's really funny (although I think this is from New Avengers rather than from Alias) that Jessica Jones and Peter Parker both went to the same high school, and Jessica Jones was an even bigger loser than Peter Parker was, and had a massive crush on him and he didn't even know she existed
This was in one of the issues I read, forget which. I also discovered that it's the source for the meme image of the girl masturbating, Jessica was masturbating to a picture of Johnny Storm. :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6351 on: September 15, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »
I just checked and he redid the bit in New Avengers and its hilariously awkward. This is one of the reasons I can't get on the Fuck Bendis train  :lol

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/11/07/jessica-jones-had-a-crush-on-peter-parker/

Tasty

« Reply #6352 on: September 15, 2022, 02:11:38 PM »
""""""""""Final"""""""""" Crisis

:crowdlaff even at the time

infinite Crisis still Best Crisis
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #6353 on: September 15, 2022, 02:15:57 PM »
""""""""""Final"""""""""" Crisis

:crowdlaff even at the time
It's the last one I recognize. :hmph

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6354 on: September 15, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »
I found Infinite Crisis really disapointing, because it was basically a reheat of Seven Soldiers (which itself was something of a reheat of Rock of Ages, which itself was something of a riff on Zenith Phase III...)

I've probably just read too much G-Moz at this point, that I can see the wells he likes going to.

e: wait, or am I mixing it up with final crisis? Because I am always mixing them up in my head

benjipwns

« Reply #6355 on: September 15, 2022, 02:30:36 PM »
Infinite Crisis is Superboy Prime punching reality into a multiverse, Final Crisis is Darkseid winning.

Tasty

« Reply #6356 on: September 15, 2022, 04:15:10 PM »
IC had cooler themes.

benjipwns

« Reply #6357 on: September 18, 2022, 07:40:42 PM »
The Fuse: From the writer of Wasteland, it's homicide detectives on a space station. Good I guess, kinda wish some of the information about the station was more clear, I get that you're supposed to come into the world as if it already exists but there was some stuff I wanted to know like exactly how big it's supposed to be. At times they indicate it's pretty damn big but then they're hopping around the place like it's nothing. Also making clear where things are in relation to others was kinda a sticking point for me.

Green Lantern: Earth One: This is one of the more creative Earth One reinventions, it's closer to the Teen Titans one versus the Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman ones that are just really slight variations on the known characters. Made me appreciate even more how much Grant Morrison botched the Wonder Woman series of these.

Scarlett: Bendis didn't finish this forever so the fact that it was finally collected and he apparently finished it led me to reread the thing from the start. I like aspects of this but some of it is just silly rather than a logical extension of events. The final "twist" is hilariously stupid, glad Bendis was sitting on that for so long. Also amusing because it's another one of those alternate world stories where the story took so long to tell that the real world has somewhat left it behind tech wise. Bendis tried to somewhat account for the modern smartphone as he went on but it also makes many of the events unlikely to have occurred. (Also when the military cuts off the city of Portland they neglect to do anything about the cell towers lol)

We Only Find Them When They're Dead (ongoing): This is kinda fun, though I somewhat wonder if the eventual explanation for everything will retroactively ruin it. Currently the writer seems fine with skipping ahead and leaving some of the details to never be told. That said, there's really got to be better twists to write into the plot rather than revealing almost everyone is double crossing everyone else and secretly a spy of some kind. :lol

Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity: lmao why were people praising this so much? It's unintentionally hilarious.

benjipwns

« Reply #6358 on: September 25, 2022, 01:03:54 AM »

Lois Lane takes on the Trump Administration!

Wait, wait, don't go... that's not entirely true, it's just the framing (KIDS IN CAGES) but since it's Greg Rucka that's not everything, it's got like assassins and spies and stuff. Also Renee is the second main character. And Checkmate is involved, plus the Religion of Crime stuff, plus Clark, Jon and Bruce are in it too obviously. It's a fun story it's just unfortunate that the whole big secret thing Lois is supposedly working on is exposing public knowledge about Donald Trump while all the side stuff is the actual fun DC Universe/pre-Flashpoint stuff.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #6359 on: September 25, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »
I can't help but feel after you've made Lex Luthor your in-universe president, you've shifted the overton window so far that you've kind of painted yourself into a corner regarding doing real world political commentary.

"He's putting people in cages? But like, regular sized cages in this dimension, right? Not shrunk down inside a bottle to serve as a slave race for an Alien AI? Or abandoned in a parallel universe hellworld battle royale? What's the big deal then?"