Author Topic: Apple Basic Bitch Thread  (Read 65637 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Fuck you Apple
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
There's a great Mega64 podcast skit dealing with Rocco's Apple obsession titled "Apple Cuck." :lol

"Why is Apple playing catch up to all the other companies? They should be innovating! Don't be imitating, you're Apple!" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
Pixel 2's get three years of software updates, which is the same as the iPhone.

The iPhone also recently got raked over pretty bad about the whole "slowing down old phones" update. Aside from that, there's been diminishing returns in macOS and iOS software updates anyways, as you yourself have said ITT (re: Animojis.)

Resale values are on a long timescale so it's much harder to judge them for newer products than Apple's lines, but the Pixel's resale prices have remained fairly good and consistent. A used first-gen Pixel can be bought today on eBay for $200-250, which is easily comparable with a used iPhone 7.

To be clear, you're paying a first-party "tax" no matter who you go with (Apple, Microsoft, Google), but to pretend there's a huge gap in ecosystems these days is just outdated thinking. Pick what you like, but don't pretend it's inherently better.

Edit- And if we're throwing laptop updates into the mix, there's simply no question that Chrome OS beats everyone else. But that's not really fair since it was created over a decade after Windows and macOS, and automatic updates were a huge priority in its initial design.
What are you talking about "same with the iphone" . My iphone has gotten every single update besides the ones that came to the Iphone X and it's going on 5 years.

I've never seen an Android hold value. You're saying Pixel first gens sell used for $200-$250? Most Iphone 7s are over $300 both on Ebay and Offerup. I mean, you can't look at a listing that's in 100-200 range that's still being bid on. Just look at offerup. It's hard to find a 7 in the mid 200s (you can get lucky but on average they're over 250). Also, from most indications Pixel hasn't saved HTC, so i don't know what the future holds for either HTC in general, or the Pixel line.  Google still hasn't figured out how to do this properly.

Don't compare a chromebook to an actual windows/mac laptop. They're not the same just because a Pixel chromebook sells for an absurdly high price (1k last i checked) which is fucking laughable.

But none of this tackles the point i made why i stick with Apple. It's the overall integration between laptop,phone, watch, services. It's still the best out there. Not to mention Imessage, facetime, things that Google is just now trying to catch up on. Fuck, most apps don't even come to android first, and some times when they do it's buggy as fuck. If you live in NA i don't see 1 single reason to get an Android over Iphone.

In my view Apple's obstacle right now is Siri and their 'homepod'. Siri being the bigger of the two.

Tasty

« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
What are you talking about "same with the iphone" . My iphone has gotten every single update besides the ones that came to the Iphone X and it's going on 5 years.

I was mistaken about this and I apologize.

However, I do question the viability of a phone past three years. Hardware at that point is what tends to break down, especially the battery. In addition, I've heard nightmare stories about people updating old iPhones, not only to have headline features disabled but severe performance degradation too. I think three years is a perfectly viable update schedule -- more than that is appreciated, but less than that is unacceptable, and I agree with that notion.

I've never seen an Android hold value. You're saying Pixel first gens sell used for $200-$250? Most Iphone 7s are over $300 both on Ebay and Offerup. I mean, you can't look at a listing that's in 100-200 range that's still being bid on. Just look at offerup. It's hard to find a 7 in the mid 200s (you can get lucky but on average they're over 250).

We're arguing over (at most) $50 here, I think I've proven my point.

Also, from most indications Pixel hasn't saved HTC, so i don't know what the future holds for either HTC in general, or the Pixel line.  Google still hasn't figured out how to do this properly.

This is tangential and not relevant to the conversation. The part of HTC that had a hand in the Pixel line is now fully owned by Google, and the Pixel 2 XL proves Google has no issues switching OEMs if there's an issue with HTC.

Don't compare a chromebook to an actual windows/mac laptop.

I wasn't, you're the one who brought laptops into the conversation, and they're a separate beast entirely. As I mentioned, it's not a fair comparison for either side.

They're not the same just because a Pixel chromebook sells for an absurdly high price (1k last i checked) which is fucking laughable.

What Chrome OS has historically lacked compared to macOS and Window is a variety of native apps, especially of the professional variety. That gap is getting smaller with Android and Linux app support, alongside work on a Windows dual boot option. The Pixelbook and Pixelbook 2 aren't worth the price for most people (as far as a $1000+ laptop is justifiable to anyone), but by the time of the Pixelbook 3 it may be. The hardware itself is certainly high-end and premium.

But none of this tackles the point i made why i stick with Apple. It's the overall integration between laptop,phone, watch, services. It's still the best out there. Not to mention Imessage, facetime, things that Google is just now trying to catch up on.

I'm glad you mention integration because there's strengths there Google does well and Apple doesn't (as vice-versa.) Google Drive blows iCloud out of the water. When will Apple "catch up" to Google Photos? Google Maps? Chromecast?

When will Apple get something like Project Fi or Voice? YouTube? Google Docs? Gmail? Nest's entire line of products? There's still many areas where Google integrates and Apple doesn't even bother, so it's difficult for me to accept "Apple's stuff is way more integrated" on its face. That only makes sense if by integrated you mean "exclusive to their hardware," but that's not really integration, it's lock-in.

I can say "Hey Google, show me my kitchen" and Google Home™ will throw my Nest Cam IQ™'s security feed onto my Chromecast™-enabled television. That's integration.

Google's "issue" in this area is that they don't pick favorites, and their services work well on all platforms. If anything, that hurts them, since if they suddenly switched to the "Apple way," you'd have a lot of sudden Android and Chrome OS conversions.

Fuck, most apps don't even come to android first, and some times when they do it's buggy as fuck.

If you have a recent, personal anecdote about an an app like this, I'd love to hear it, because it hasn't really been true for years. I don't see you as a Snapchat type, either.

If you prefer iOS and macOS, that's totally fine. But to imply you'd be lacking some kind of extra "magic" (the Apple version of Nintendo's "whimsy") by not picking Apple is totally false.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »

However, I do question the viability of a phone past three years. Hardware at that point is what tends to break down, especially the battery. In addition, I've heard nightmare stories about people updating old iPhones, not only to have headline features disabled but severe performance degradation too. I think three years is a perfectly viable update schedule -- more than that is appreciated, but less than that is unacceptable, and I agree with that notion.
Really? I think 4 years is the sweet spot. My phone has been perfectly fine (other than a battery change which all phones require at that point) and honestly if my phone wasn't lacking memory i could easily hold out. Maybe you don't feel the same way i do because of Androids roadmap and lack of utilization of old hardware? Apple is known for this though, their computers, phones, ipads,ipods they all have all been known to last.

We're arguing over (at most) $50 here, I think I've proven my point.
Just from a quick glance i'd actually say the average price difference is closer to $100 and that's not insignificant for most people.

This is tangential and not relevant to the conversation. The part of HTC that had a hand in the Pixel line is now fully owned by Google, and the Pixel 2 XL proves Google has no issues switching OEMs if there's an issue with HTC.
It is relevant because it can show there's a problem with Google's overall strategy. There's so much fracturing already with Google's product line anymore of it is not a good thing regardless how they can transition.

I'm glad you mention integration because there's strengths there Google does well and Apple doesn't (as vice-versa.) Google Drive blows iCloud out of the water. When will Apple "catch up" to Google Photos? Google Maps? Chromecast?

When will Apple get something like Project Fi or Voice? YouTube? Google Docs? Gmail? Nest's entire line of products? There's still many areas where Google integrates and Apple doesn't even bother, so it's difficult for me to accept "Apple's stuff is way more integrated" on its face. That only makes sense if by integrated you mean "exclusive to their hardware," but that's not really integration, it's lock-in.

I can say "Hey Google, show me my kitchen" and Google Home™ will throw my Nest Cam IQ™'s security feed onto my Chromecast™-enabled television. That's integration.

Google's "issue" in this area is that they don't pick favorites, and their services work well on all platforms. If anything, that hurts them, since if they suddenly switched to the "Apple way," you'd have a lot of sudden Android and Chrome OS conversions.
Yeah, look i agree with you there and that's why i pointed out Siri as huge problem for Apple. That level of integration Google has with those services is definitely a plus when you add them with Google's voice assistant. However, the other things can still be utilized in IOS so it diminishes the advantage a bit. You don't have Imessage and Facetime on Google. I know it doesn't mean much to some people but it is pretty big.

Icloud is the other point i wanted to throw in there that Apple has to tackle. icloud fucking blows. I'm in total agreement with that but even so it's not like most people switch to google drive, they switch to dropbox ( blows my mind apple just didn't simply scoop them up)

If you have a recent, personal anecdote about an an app like this, I'd love to hear it, because it hasn't really been true for years. I don't see you as a Snapchat type, either.

If you prefer iOS and macOS, that's totally fine. But to imply you'd be lacking some kind of extra "magic" (the Apple version of Nintendo's "whimsy") by not picking Apple is totally false.
Didn't fortnite not even come out for Android yet? Most major apps dont' come to android first, and from my memory (granted this is from a few years ago) facebook, insta, all these huge apps people care about were always slightly inferior on Android. But like you said the gap is closing, i'm sure of that, but the overall offering and ecosystem Apple has is still unmatched, regardless if the gap is closing. We're talking about RIGHT NOW.

I'm not a blind Apple fanboy. I used to be a complete evangelist, urging people to switch to Apple but that was in the late 90s early 2000s. Now i want people to switch out. Apple is too big, too bloated. There's major problems in the company that have yet to be addressed including the ones we mentioned Siri, Icloud, home offerings, etc .

Tasty

« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2018, 10:14:39 PM »
Re: Updates - The update situation probably doesn't bother me as much as it should because 1. I've always stuck with Google's phones (first Nexus, then Pixel), and 2. past the two year mark, historically, the newest phones seem so shiny and awesome that I couldn't stand waiting another 1-2 years to upgrade. Camera improvements were particularly stark in the transition from Nexus to Pixel. Plus, there's battery degradation, which affects all phones to some degree. Going forward, all OS updates are seeing diminishing returns, so it may start to bother me more going forward. For the time being, three years still seems like a really good amount.

Re: Resale values - Like I said, resale values work on a long timescale. But you're right, there's a non-insignificant different today.

Re: HTC - I'm actually unsure if Google is even dependent on them for anything substantial anymore. They paid over $1 billion for over 2000 HTC engineers and designers, so the only thing they may be using at this point is HTC's factories, and they can transition to another (like Foxconn) even more easily than when they dumped HTC's original Pixel 2 XL for LG's version.

Re: Messaging - It's easily the biggest area Google's fumbled and Apple's been killing it there for over a decade, so the difference is even more stark. It's so key to the mobile experience that it's hard to believe Google has bungled it so hard. If someone says they're staying with iPhone for iMessage, I completely understand that decision. I just don't accept that Apple's services are "more integrated" with the hardware, with that statement being a "pro" for buying Apple hardware.

Tasty

« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Also yes, it's mindblowing Apple hasn't bought Dropbox (though I think they tried?), just like it's crazy to me Google hasn't shelled out WhatsApp-level cash for an established messenger. All that bluster over Allo only for it to be killed off in less than two years, just like everyone expected. That's what's really crazy to me -- that they expected Allo to take off at all.

Now they're pinning all their hopes on RCS but that needs so much buy-in from so many companies in so many different industries (telecom, phone OEM, app) that there's almost no way it creates the messaging panacea Android users want and deserve. Bleh.

Tasty

« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, I think Google was probably pressured out of the messaging game by phone OEMs and telecoms. For a few OS updates there, Hangouts was a required Google app, but then suddenly it wasn't. I'm sure OEM/telcos wouldn't be happy if there *was* a first party iMessage equivalent that everyone just used, since there's so much money in the mobile messaging game.

Not to mention the EU probably fining them a gajillion dollars for trying to "own" the messaging experience.

Another detriment to being "open" I suppose. :goty2

Tasty

« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
Getting back on topic, Apple's ditching Qualcomm modems in new iPhones for Intel, which means a 1-2 year lag in 5G support, and much slower/more power-intensive LTE modems on current networks.

Gotta love Apple's completely frivolous lawsuits!

nudemacusers

« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
Go to macrumors u figgurts :no1curr
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »
Do your ten kids get iPhones or is that just a Daddy Privilege?  :foodcourt

Tasty

« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2018, 11:04:48 PM »
Also I made this great extension that can hide threads you don't like, you should try it.

nudemacusers

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
Your hiding extension is only for Firefox and chrome and I don’t hate myself enough to slum with those also ran browsers :nope
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2018, 11:07:16 PM »
Oh right I forgot you use the garbage fire that is Safari. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »
Does Safari even have extensions, or would that take users too far outside Apple's precious walled comfort zone?

Tasty

« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »

Which one's the "also ran" again? :foodcourt

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
I use Chrome on OSX right now because of the extensions but Safari as of right now with this new rollout coming out is going to have much better web support for privacy. I know Google is saying they will be implementing their own high measures but do you really trust Google with your information? I tend to trust Apple more rightfully or not.

Plus, a lot of the extensions i use on Chrome are now on Safari.  But we'll see once the new OSX comes out if i truly do switch out of Chrome.

nudemacusers

« Reply #256 on: July 29, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
59 percent of the population also voted killary and look where that got us

Assimilate bb ur missing out on handoff if you’re not using safari
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Handoff?

Safari would need to offer handjobs to get me to use it. And then probably not even then.

Tasty

« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2018, 11:20:25 PM »
Hey guys remember the 90s when browser updates were tied to OS updates?

Oh wait that's still the case for Safari. :crowdlaff

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »
59 percent of the population also voted killary and look where that got us

Assimilate bb ur missing out on handoff if you’re not using safari
Oh, i know. handoff is nice. I'll probably give Safari a go again after the update.

Hey guys remember the 90s when browser updates were tied to OS updates?

Oh wait that's still the case for Safari. :crowdlaff
But it's not. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Depends on how big the update is. And major browser updates are so fucking sparse anyways so what are you even complaining about?

Tasty

« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
You have no idea how much easier our lives as developers get every six weeks when a new Chrome updates hits, and how much better the web gets overall as a result. If Chrome, Edge, and Firefox updated like Safari, the web would still be trapped in 2008.

Then again Apple's the black sheep of the web standardization community anyways, taking years to implement things like WebGL, IndexedDB, and so much else. It got so bad that Safari's been dubbed the new IE6.

I thank God every day Safari isn't more popular than it already egregiously is.

Say you don't care about technical shit all you want, but this does trickle down to end users. If you think something about the web is shitty, it's likely because Apple's holding everyone back.

nudemacusers

« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
Taking a call on your phone, moving it to your computer, then moving it to your iPad, then back to your phone :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
Taking a call on your phone, moving it to your computer, then moving it to your iPad, then back to your phone :lawd

There is no way anyone actually does this. :lol

I do enjoy making calls on my PC, but that's something Google Voice has been able to do since 2009. Can an untethered Mac do that? :idont

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »

There is no way anyone actually does this. :lol

well not on that level but taking it on your computer and then moving it to your phone yeah all the time. It's great.

nudemacusers

« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
I answer cellular calls on my Mac/iPad all the time and then bounce to my phone if I’m going to the car etc.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »
Yeah I can see it being handy but that example was just too much lol.

Also: talking on the phone :donot

nudemacusers

« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

kingv

« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »
Yeah I can see it being handy but that example was just too much lol.

Also: talking on the phone :donot

I applied for a loan the other day and didn’t take it because they required me to talk on the phone.

Nah, fam, I’m not talking to you.

jorma

« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2018, 01:19:29 AM »
The title of this thread is grossly misleading, "fuck me apple (again and again)" would be a more relevant title.
there's simply no other alternative that offers everything apple does though. it's that complete integration that keeps me there despite the bullshit they pull with the "apple tax"

i mean just look at that android google thread. people talking about 'we get 2 year support with a pixel" like wtf? 2 years of software updates? that's fucking laughable. i've had my iphone6 and macbook air for over 4 years and they're both working perfectly fine and if i didn't have the desire to upgrade i could stick it out with this phone for at least another year, and this laptop for a solid 3 more years if not more.

not to mention the resale value on apple products is much higher so you tend to recoup some of that "apple tax" anyways.

oh yeah, right up the ass, that's the spot. fuck me harder, apple!

Tasty

Re: oh yeah, right up the ass, that's the spot. fuck me harder, apple!
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2018, 01:46:56 AM »
Thanks for the thread title idea. 👌🏻

Himu

« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2018, 01:49:55 AM »
Lost my iPhone the other week. Turned on find my iPhone when I got home. Had it returned within a day.

Co-worker loses her (android) phone, doesn’t have find my phone option, and her phone is still lost.

:rejoice APPLE :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:32 AM »
https://www.google.com/android/find

:confused

Also, who loses their phone? Like you're literally a loser in that case lmao.

Edit 11/21/18 - Ironically, I would eventually lose my phone about two months after I made this initial post. I was/am a loser. :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:04:29 AM by Tasty Meat »

Himu

« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
I work at a car rental place and someone drove off with it
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:06 AM »
i lose my phone in my house on what seems like a bi-daily basis. not all of use have such spry minds young man

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
people in creative industries who justify buying macbook pros because they "need a powerful laptop for work" almost universally work with still media or do a bit of render light FCP at best.

anyone in animation or CG who genuinely needs a bit of grunt left the ship long ago.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:40:13 AM by headwalk »

Himu

« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »
people in creative industries who justify buying macbook pros because they "need a powerful laptop for work" almost universally work with still media or do a bit of render light FCP at best.

anyone in animation or CG who genuinely needs a bit of grunt left the ship long ago.

Final cut used to be the reason to own a Mac if you edited video. Not so much these days I assume. Haven’t touched that biz in a long time.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Re: Generic Apple bitch thread
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
X was the turning point for most people. industry is split now between people using premier because it's easy to use and has better AE functionality and avid spergs who stick with the film industry standards.

just being able to copy and paste between prem and AE is everything for me.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
I'd imagine most of these youtube 'creative' types are on macbooks. it's all i see any of them use but none of it even requires a machine of the power of that i9.  who will actually buy that thing and for what?

Tasty

« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
X was the turning point for most people. industry is split now between people using premier because it's easy to use and has better AE functionality and avid spergs who stick with the film industry standards.

just being able to copy and paste between prem and AE is everything for me.

I fucking love Premiere. <3

Tasty

« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
Also, new title is much worse. :yeshrug

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Generic Apple bitch
it me

Corporal

« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
Still annoyed as fuck that Apple went with Metal or whatever the fuck they cooked up instead of jumping from OpenGL to Vulkan like they should have.

Still have an OpenGL bible stashed away somewhere.

And now OpenGL and -CL are deprecated in MacOS, soon to be forgotten. So sad.  :'(
!list

Tasty

« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
I mean, most devs are going to be using Unity or whatever which will spit out platform-specific versions pretty easily, but even still Apple's constant attempts to reinvent the wheel irk me.

At the very least, they confirmed WebGL is sticking around in Safari (just being translated to Metal), which means you can still use an OpenGL derivative, it'll just be in the browser. That's not super viable for mainstream games, but WebAssembly is arriving soon which should make it good enough for indies. Who knows though, I stopped applying logic to dev and publisher technology decisions a while ago.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
it's all i see any of them use but none of it even requires a machine of the power of that i9.

well it's not like the pro lets you use the power of that i9 without throttling the shit out of it anyway.

Tasty

« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »
it's all i see any of them use but none of it even requires a machine of the power of that i9.

well it's not like the pro lets you use the power of that i9 without throttling the shit out of it anyway.

There's an "update" coming to "fix" that.

Once again Apple rides in with a fix for a big problem... that they themselves made.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »

There's an "update" coming to "fix" that.

Once again Apple rides in with a fix for a big problem... that they themselves made.
It was a bug which could have been something to do with intel, no one really knows yet.

And stop, this type of stuff happens all the time. Let's not even get into the clusterfuck that is windows and window laptop problems or worse, Google and their inability to get decent smooth scrolling into Android until like 2 years ago. Apple is really fast with their software updates and bug fixes.

Let's keep the complaints rational.

Tasty

« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
This thread is for all Apple bitching, no matter how petty. ;)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2018, 02:13:16 AM »
have we bitched about how upgrading the hdd on the new macbooks costs as much as another computer? like how is this remotely justifiable, i thought hard discs are meant to be really cheap now?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2018, 06:24:23 AM »
Well, they only offer SSDs now. While they're steadily falling, they're nowhere near HDDs yet. The higher the capacity, the higher the premium.

That being said, the Apple tax is hefty.

The mark-up is worst for the 13-inch, it seems. For the cheapest 13-inch Pro, doubling capacity from 128GB (two 64GB chips, I assume; the board fits four) to 256GB adds 200$. 256GB M.2 SSD drives can be had for less than half that.
Soldering two more chips onto the board cannot possibly be that much more expensive. :doge 400$ for 512GB and 800$ for 1TB. You can get 2TB drives for that. :rofl

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »

Change it to "Apple's Basic Bitch Thread" :teehee

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
Soldering two more chips onto the board cannot possibly be that much more expensive. :doge 400$ for 512GB and 800$ for 1TB. You can get 2TB drives for that. :rofl

Gotta pay the Chinese workers pay for the Made in the USA tax. :doge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
They solder the SSDs? The other ultrabooks just use a regular M.2 socket. If you're being super gentle with the bottom cover, it probably takes 5-10 minutes to change it yourself.

Honestly, it would probably be cheaper if they just used socketed SSDs and the competition is just as thin (or thinner). Maybe it's to force you to overbuy initially but I think it would be in Apple's interest to take less mark-up on Macbooks to get people fully into their ecosystem. Everyone knows they make their real money on iPhones and the App store.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
They solder the SSDs? The other ultrabooks just use a regular M.2 socket. If you're being super gentle with the bottom cover, it probably takes 5-10 minutes to change it yourself.

Honestly, it would probably be cheaper if they just used socketed SSDs and the competition is just as thin (or thinner). Maybe it's to force you to overbuy initially but I think it would be in Apple's interest to take less mark-up on Macbooks to get people fully into their ecosystem. Everyone knows they make their real money on iPhones and the App store.
Yeah, the entire thing is integrated on the board. Older Pros had an M.2 slot, I'm pretty sure, but not anymore. Tight margins. :marimo

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:50:41 AM by Rufus »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
It's soldered to the board for one reason:

:cody So you can't upgrade it :cody

:money
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:30:21 AM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

Tasty

Re: Apple Basic Bitch Thread
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »

Change it to "Apple's Basic Bitch Thread" :teehee

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
Well, they only offer SSDs now. While they're steadily falling, they're nowhere near HDDs yet. The higher the capacity, the higher the premium.

That being said, the Apple tax is hefty.

The mark-up is worst for the 13-inch, it seems. For the cheapest 13-inch Pro, doubling capacity from 128GB (two 64GB chips, I assume; the board fits four) to 256GB adds 200$. 256GB M.2 SSD drives can be had for less than half that.
This is my number 1 problem with Apple. Like why nickel and dime your goddamn customers.

Main reason why i won't jump to a pro right now. I rather have the extra ram/and memory into a less powerful computer. Im' hoping they come out with either a 13inch macbook or a new macbook air where i can max out the ram and memory.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
I've made the choice to upgrade my phone this september. Now the question is to what.

Do i go with the X? the 8? or whatever new one apple comes out with?

Or do i fucking switch? Seriously, if Android wasn't such a cluttered fucking mess i'd switch. I was playing around with a friends (i think) Asus. The thing was razor thin, light, borderless with tons of memory and a replaceable battery. And she got it for like $500 bucks.

I'm sick of this Apple bullshit but they got us prisoners.

Tasty

« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
ASUS? :nope

Pixel :ohyeah