Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550901 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5521 on: March 19, 2022, 03:43:39 AM »

« Reply #5522 on: March 20, 2022, 07:55:25 PM »
Good for the Star War for deciding not to put Maul in Obi-Wan.

Maul died in the first Star War and then died again when Obi-Wan killed him in the cartoons. He's more of a clown than Boba Fett,  and Fett got killed by a blind guy with a stick.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5523 on: March 21, 2022, 05:43:19 AM »
Good for the Star War for deciding not to put Maul in Obi-Wan.

Maul died in the first Star War and then died again when Obi-Wan killed him in the cartoons. He's more of a clown than Boba Fett,  and Fett got killed by a blind guy with a stick.
It bothers me so much that Palpatine and Vader destroyed the Jedi and hunted them all down to the point that most people don't even think they were real, except for all the Jedi that they didn't kill and that keep showing up in really prominent storylines.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5524 on: March 21, 2022, 07:39:12 AM »
Star Wars basically has comic book logic now, don't think about the details like how Erik Lensherr should be like 110 years old or something (I know the comics deaged him a few times to handwave this).

Tasty

« Reply #5525 on: March 27, 2022, 10:17:26 PM »

Fanworks :larry :obama

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5526 on: March 28, 2022, 06:24:06 AM »
No matter how serious you try to make it, an emphasemic robot will always be comical.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5527 on: March 28, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »
No matter how serious you try to make it, an emphasemic robot will always be comical.

George Lucas should have done a bit about how his arthritis was acting up.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #5528 on: March 29, 2022, 05:54:12 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #5529 on: April 07, 2022, 05:21:59 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5530 on: April 07, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »
What am “fnp”?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5531 on: April 07, 2022, 08:25:52 PM »
fun n' pleasant
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5532 on: April 07, 2022, 08:29:01 PM »
frustratingly not protestant
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5533 on: April 07, 2022, 08:29:49 PM »
Finn nails Padme
Uncle

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5534 on: May 01, 2022, 09:01:40 PM »
https://www.imfineimfine.com/p/this-place-was-home?s=r

Super charming and adds depth and kindness to the prequels and TBoBF

benjipwns

« Reply #5535 on: May 02, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »
Science proves it!
A recent study revealed the best and worst films out of the nine main entries in the Star Wars franchise, and the results suggest fans prefer the originals, and evidently carry a strong dislike for one recent film in particular.

A study by a broadband service provider U Switch combined metrics from the twenty highest grossing movie series and compared them against their sequels to discover the best and worst films in each franchise. The study used scores from IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic, along with box office revenue and profitability, to reveal the worst Star Wars film is the latest instalment, The Rise of Skywalker.

The Rise of Skywalker rated 3.28 out of 10 in a tight race to the bottom, with a slight edge over Attack of the Clones as the second-worst film, which rated 3.4. Episode IX might have been the worst entry in the franchise, but its immediate predecessors The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi fared better in third and fourth place respectively. The 1999-2005 prequel trilogy was considered the least appealing era overall, with its highest rated film, Revenge of the Sith, coming in sixth place.

The "study": https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/studies/successful-sequels/

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5536 on: May 02, 2022, 03:52:00 PM »
I know at this point it's really obvious to everyone that rotten tomatoes is compromised but it's still mindblowing how blatant it is

Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5537 on: May 02, 2022, 03:55:40 PM »
I have to agree with the bottom two entirely.

TRoS was utter garbage that didn't even make sense.
AotC was a categorically terrible film.
TLJ comes in next.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #5538 on: May 02, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
Science proves it!
A recent study revealed the best and worst films out of the nine main entries in the Star Wars franchise, and the results suggest fans prefer the originals, and evidently carry a strong dislike for one recent film in particular.

A study by a broadband service provider U Switch combined metrics from the twenty highest grossing movie series and compared them against their sequels to discover the best and worst films in each franchise. The study used scores from IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic, along with box office revenue and profitability, to reveal the worst Star Wars film is the latest instalment, The Rise of Skywalker.

The Rise of Skywalker rated 3.28 out of 10 in a tight race to the bottom, with a slight edge over Attack of the Clones as the second-worst film, which rated 3.4. Episode IX might have been the worst entry in the franchise, but its immediate predecessors The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi fared better in third and fourth place respectively. The 1999-2005 prequel trilogy was considered the least appealing era overall, with its highest rated film, Revenge of the Sith, coming in sixth place.

The "study": https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/studies/successful-sequels/

It's bad in different ways than AoC... Honestly they're both so bad I don't even think it's useful to differentiate which is "better."

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5539 on: May 02, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
I think there's value in an entertainingly bad movie vs. one that depresses/annoys/frustrates you

like how The Room is a good bad movie, something that can bring you terrible joy

AotC at least has the meme potential
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5540 on: May 02, 2022, 04:47:52 PM »
I think there's value in an entertainingly bad movie vs. one that depresses/annoys/frustrates you

like how The Room is a good bad movie, something that can bring you terrible joy

AotC at least has the meme potential
If you like good bad movies, then please go and find a copy of an 80s film called Deadly Prey. It's my favourite entertainingly shit movie of all time.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5541 on: May 02, 2022, 05:04:30 PM »
Attack of the Clones still had potential and was salvagable depending on your tastes.
If you were into Natalie Portman you still got some eye candy and if you enjoyed lasers and robots and light sabers you got that too.
It had some interesting plots like Dooku trying to persuade the Jedi to join him against Darth Sidious and a number of likeable characters played by great actors.
Overall though it was just a bore designed to sell merchandise until it concluded in the third film. It wasn't rushed though, quite the opposite it was overproduced and over cooked.

The Rise of Skywalker was just a big flaming turd with no redeemable features whatsoever.
It made no sense and apart from Finn and the pilot that barely got any screen time nearly all the new characters suck.
And not only was it a shitty film, it also retroactively ruined the plot of basically the entire new trilogy.
Removing the remaining mystery and suspense from the Star Wars universe and replacing it with the dumbest plot imaginable.

Only a few times in history have fandoms been torched like this by rushed products.
Things that come to mind are Dragonball GT, Sonic 2006, the final episodes of Game of Thrones and the butchered ending of Boardwalk Empire.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #5542 on: May 04, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #5543 on: May 04, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
4-6: Good
1-3, 7-9: Bad

Source: Dude just trust me.
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #5544 on: May 04, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
Realizing I couldn’t tell you which of the three movies that meme image is from. Those movies came and went.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:55:35 PM by Polident Hive »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5545 on: May 04, 2022, 08:43:40 PM »
Rey’s in the gunner seat on Crait, episode 8.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5546 on: May 04, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
feels like an internal cognitive dissonance that riann wanted to pull the rug out from under the star wars nerds, force people to think differently, change their expectations, step back and contemplate

...while cheering at triple kill 9x point combo

studio meddling, I suppose
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5547 on: May 05, 2022, 12:36:19 AM »
Rey’s in the gunner seat on Crait, episode 8.

Rey has a different hairstyle and outfit because they weren't shoehorning in old Leia footage, episode 8.

Tasty

« Reply #5548 on: May 05, 2022, 12:37:51 AM »
Seriously everyone talks about how dumb Kylo getting his mask back was but no one talks about Rey's complete stylistic reversion

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5549 on: May 05, 2022, 12:47:40 AM »
Seriously everyone talks about how dumb Kylo getting his mask back was but no one talks about Rey's complete stylistic reversion

Can you elaborate?

Tasty

« Reply #5550 on: May 05, 2022, 12:52:15 AM »

Can you elaborate?

Episodes 7, 8, and 9, respectively.

JJ reverted Rey to her episode 7 look so the Carrie Fisher scenes they reused would match episode 9.

Like Ben, she regressed.

Tasty

« Reply #5551 on: May 05, 2022, 12:56:23 AM »
Completely unrelated, here's some concept art for Colin Trevorrow's scrapped Duel of the Fates.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5552 on: May 05, 2022, 02:24:46 AM »
Still amazes me how badly they fucked that whole trilogy of movies.

It's mindblowing that Disney made such a huge investment and could have had a second franchise with twice yearly films to dominate the box office and instead they just let these morons not even plan out a coherent story.

There will be a time when all the dirty secrets come out and then we will all realise that no matter how bad we think they fucked it up, the reality will be even worse.

How anyone involved still has a job or gets any work with a higher profile than direct-to-streaming sequels to mediocre family comedies is beyond absurd.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5553 on: May 05, 2022, 04:40:32 AM »
*opens powerpoint*

Ok people, we've made some edits to the script. This is how we make star wars appealing to the suburban latinx non-binary demographic, get past the Chinese censors, make the designs simple enough for cheap toys and root out the male gaze and masochism. Any questions?  :social
🤴

« Reply #5554 on: May 05, 2022, 08:13:26 AM »
Still amazes me how badly they fucked that whole trilogy of movies.

It's mindblowing that Disney made such a huge investment and could have had a second franchise with twice yearly films to dominate the box office and instead they just let these morons not even plan out a coherent story.

There will be a time when all the dirty secrets come out and then we will all realise that no matter how bad we think they fucked it up, the reality will be even worse.

How anyone involved still has a job or gets any work with a higher profile than direct-to-streaming sequels to mediocre family comedies is beyond absurd.

Yeah, some planning would have done a lot of good. And maybe hire a few editors to look at the script beforehand. Maybe one of them would tell you not to make the same movie twice.

benjipwns

« Reply #5555 on: May 05, 2022, 08:37:19 AM »
According to the one Star Wars oral history book, the conclusion IX Rian Johnson wrote was not perfect but mostly followed logically from The Last Jedi. JJ threw it out almost completely and felt he shouldn't be restricted by what Johnson did in The Last Jedi and so if he wanted to ignore anything that happened in it he just could.

The only conclusion to draw from this is that nobody involved actually knew what a trilogy is or why they're supposed to resemble three acts. The fact that nobody decided before doing any of it what should happen in the third part and then they brought back the guy who made the first part and he just made it up as he shot is amazing for such a gigantic franchise.

One of the major actors was able to die and it probably didn't change their role in the third part because there probably wasn't any role mapped out in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 08:41:21 AM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5556 on: May 05, 2022, 08:48:42 AM »
*opens powerpoint*

Ok people, we've made some edits to the script. This is how we make star wars appealing to the suburban latinx non-binary demographic, get past the Chinese censors, make the designs simple enough for cheap toys and root out the male gaze and masochism. Any questions?  :social
They could have done all of that and still made a decent film that made sense. I wouldn't have cared at all that they made it all *woke* if the story was better than the insulting shit pile they gave us.

It's not even like they had to try.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #5557 on: May 05, 2022, 11:00:57 AM »
Somehow Palpatine has returned...
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5558 on: May 05, 2022, 11:17:38 AM »
Episode III title crawl:

audiences:  :mindblown "wait, something important happened offscreen with palpatine, in this third movie of the trilogy?"

Lucas:  :lucas "it's explained in supplementary material"

Episode IX title crawl:

audiences:  :mindblown "wait, something important happened offscreen with palpatine, in this third movie of the trilogy?"

Disney:  :no1curr "it's explained in supplementary material"

Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #5559 on: May 10, 2022, 09:46:46 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5561 on: May 19, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »
“I hesitate to use the word trilogies anymore, because Star Wars is much more about persistent storytelling,” Kennedy says.

As for the film side of that, “We have a road map,” Kennedy says.

oh dear
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #5562 on: May 19, 2022, 01:57:25 PM »
I'm not sure that indicates she actually has learned anything.

I don't think Solo failed because they cast a younger actor to play a younger Han Solo, that whole thing where they fired the directors and writers and brought in Ron Howard to staple the thing together on the quick might have been one of the learning lessons but she doesn't mention that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5564 on: May 19, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
I'm not sure that indicates she actually has learned anything.

I don't think Solo failed because they cast a younger actor to play a younger Han Solo, that whole thing where they fired the directors and writers and brought in Ron Howard to staple the thing together on the quick might have been one of the learning lessons but she doesn't mention that.
It doesn't make sense on any level. Star Wars has recasted a bunch of characters like Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan.
And how does she imagine this origin story would've worked out if they casted Ford to play the role? Another de-aging horror show?
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #5565 on: May 19, 2022, 02:24:06 PM »
It doesn't make sense on any level. Star Wars has recasted a bunch of characters like Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan.
The lesson she learned is don't recast roles with younger actors, she says in the same interview where she promotes the new Obi Wan series that does not star Alec Guinness.

« Reply #5566 on: May 19, 2022, 02:29:56 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/05/kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-filmmaking-lessons-learned-1235027840

"This isn't the job for me"?

She should have learned you can make a prequel movie that leaves some fannerds' questions unanswered.

Maybe just make your Han Solo movie and let us wonder where the protagonist got his blaster. Call this the Rogue One maneuver.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5567 on: May 27, 2022, 12:36:04 PM »
Me hearing Obi-Wan spoilers:
 :lol :lol :lol

:show :show :show
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Star Wars is such a dumpster fire  :sabu

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5568 on: May 27, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »
Impressive fan film for X-Wing:

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5569 on: May 28, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
First two episodes of Obi Wan are pretty cool tho

Reminded me of this

What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5570 on: May 29, 2022, 08:24:26 PM »
Obi-Wan is good fun.

The audience-knows-but-Obi-did-not "reveal" in ep 2 was surprisingly moving.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5572 on: May 30, 2022, 07:48:04 PM »
That's some serious Stockholm Mos Eisley Syndrome.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5574 on: May 31, 2022, 09:05:54 AM »
I dunno, that star wars star cruiser thing is basically a LARP / Murder Mystery weekend but combined with one big / hundreds of little escape room puzzle scenarios, right?

I can see how its worth every penny to someone whos super into star wars but who might still be too normie to cosplay / LARPing / RenFaire / Reenactments type shit.
Its undeniably gonna be a fairly unique experience, especially if you take it seriously and atively try and join in.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5575 on: May 31, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
the only people paying that much for a star wars weekend are the kind of people the canto bight scene condemned  :wag
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #5576 on: May 31, 2022, 11:06:16 AM »
Do you have to pay extra to be enslaved and dominated by Jabba the Hutt or is that included in the $5200?
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5577 on: May 31, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »
the only people paying that much for a star wars weekend are the kind of people the canto bight scene condemned  :wag
More likely the kind of people who thought the Canto Bight scene was profound cinema.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:09:12 PM by Potato »
Spud

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

chronovore

• relapsed dev