Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550930 times)

Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5580 on: June 13, 2022, 02:11:44 PM »
I have strong opinions about GLUB Shitto v. Glup Shitto.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #5581 on: June 13, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »
Completely unrelated, here's some concept art for Colin Trevorrow's scrapped Duel of the Fates.

(Image removed from quote.)

It makes me so mad that they never gave her the staff light saber. You'd think that shit was choreographed from the very beginning with Rey constantly running around with her staff. Turns out only Tevorrow had the brains to do it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5583 on: June 13, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »
The line to do coke with Glub Shitto was too long.
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #5584 on: June 13, 2022, 05:56:42 PM »
The line to do coke with Glub Shitto was too long.

or too short!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5585 on: June 14, 2022, 08:47:51 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #5586 on: June 14, 2022, 09:58:30 PM »
Robot Chicken still got it

i don't expect that to be Hamill himself, even though he voiced all Luke/Joker appearances in the early seasons...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5587 on: June 16, 2022, 04:02:58 PM »
New Obi Wan was dope

Ya watchin this
What

Tasty

« Reply #5588 on: June 16, 2022, 04:05:58 PM »
I'm hearing the last few eps have been gud and I almost started ep1 last night, but 55 mins... :dunno

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5589 on: June 16, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
Got way too many shows going on to start Obi Wan. Will do it soon though
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5590 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:57 PM »

Solid.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5591 on: July 17, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »

Yes :rejoice

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5592 on: July 18, 2022, 06:34:07 AM »
" - SHE FRIEND ZONED ME ! :maf
- You've done that to yourself."

I'm gonna rep Auralnauts some more because I really like their work and that's the only way I consume Star Wars these days along I suppose some of the Bad Lip Reading songs (which operates in the same sort of space).

They re-edited, scored and dubbed episode 1 through 7 into a surprisingly cohesive spoof story centered around the Jedi being obnoxious party animals chasing highs and the Empire being a galactic entertainment conglomerate. Larry Kenobi rights addiction, Anakin sell out to a corporate job, Luke and Leia are a couple running a Laser Master show. Oh and C3P0 is bent on genociding all humans because of daddy issues after being abandoned by Anakin.

They're obviously big fans of electronic music, not half bad at it and the tracks play a huge part in making those really fun. Check out the tracks if you're not in the mood for several hours of storytelling. The comedy probably won't be to everyone's taste.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5593 on: July 23, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »
So huh, all the live action TV shows save for Mando S1 have had lukewarm reception too ?
 :doge
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5594 on: July 23, 2022, 04:04:07 PM »
Viktor Duplaix Kylo Ren
ὕβρις

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5595 on: July 25, 2022, 10:06:32 AM »
edit: wrong thread
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:17:44 AM by Tuckers Law »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5596 on: July 31, 2022, 04:07:29 AM »
It's smart to take the high ground.

It just dawned on me that in Episode III, Obi-Wan warns Anakin, "I have the high ground!" but in Episode I, Darth Maul was literally standing on higher ground and watching Obi-Wan from a much more advantageous position, and yet OB1 just fucking does a Force Chin-Up and gets the drop on Maul. SMDH.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5597 on: July 31, 2022, 08:30:54 AM »
yeah, but anakin was surrounded by lava, which is basically hot sand soooooo.........

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5598 on: July 31, 2022, 12:56:34 PM »
If only Anakin quadrupled his flip power...
It's one of those details I don't really take seriously, it's just an hopeful cue of Larry Kenobi saying out loud to Anakin he's blinded by rage and not thinking straight. Sword dueling in space is otherwise so inconsistent it's :yeshrug and maybe they took that too seriously.
I mean, who's Darth Maul really ? A poseur that looks good and was obviously a fodder disciple.
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #5599 on: July 31, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »
Can the next Star Was visions look like this?

https://twitter.com/Sykosan/status/1547215603647320068

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5600 on: August 18, 2022, 02:21:41 AM »
I passed on Obi-Wan. I'd rather just continue to think of Obi-Wan just hanging out on Tatooine as a loner looking over Luke rather than him having adventures and fighting Vader. Chalk up another Star Wars show/movie that didn't need to happen.

Andor on the other hand is looking good (well, the trailer is anyway).

Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5601 on: August 18, 2022, 12:43:42 PM »
Obi-Wan was fun, but there were some weird choices that were distracting to the point where it broke immersion. There was a little bit of dancing around timeline issues so that everything still fits together. I may end up watching it again, unlike Boba Fett, which was a sad one-and-done for me.

Andor does look great, and there are few limitations on what they might do with him. Looking forward to it.

Polident Hive

« Reply #5602 on: August 19, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »
Obiwan was okay. Kept waiting for it to be better than okay. Never was. That’s okay. Never watched the Boba show. Don’t think I watched all of Mandalorian.

Andor, I’m in it for Tony Gilroy. Know he did rewrites for Rogue One and the character is from there. Neither left an impression on me. But Andor is sounding like an espionage thriller in Star Wars from the guy behind Michael Clayton and the Bourne movies.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5603 on: August 19, 2022, 01:49:29 PM »
Nothing Disney and Lucasfilm have their meddling hands upon is going to be even a smidge as good in quality as Michael Clayton, even with Tony Gilroy involved.  I hope he’s collecting a giant fat paycheck for this, because the output will most certainly be okay at best.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #5604 on: August 19, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »
I just wonder if the trailer actually reflects the tone of the show. Boba Fett and Obi-wan had similarly super serious trailers and then the actual show was camp galore

« Reply #5605 on: August 26, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »
A spinoff of the worst Star Wars spinoff starring the least interesting Star Wars character?

My friend suggested he's not in on any bit of Star Wars without lightsabers. And I think he's on to something.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5606 on: August 26, 2022, 07:57:42 AM »
that's funny, a lot of people say the opposite, and the best way to expand the universe would be to get away from the force and lightsabers, since that ends up being the most mary sue, rule of cool, "remember this?!" stuff
Uncle

« Reply #5607 on: August 26, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »
that's funny, a lot of people say the opposite, and the best way to expand the universe would be to get away from the force and lightsabers, since that ends up being the most mary sue, rule of cool, "remember this?!" stuff

Yeah, I don't know how you rehabilitate Star Wars. I'm not sure it's with Andor.

I'm no Booby Robert, Star Wars Historiologist, mind. Whatever happened to that guy?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5608 on: August 26, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »

Yeah but without the force and lightsabers, is it really Star Wars or just a shallow bang-average space opera ?

I guess having a spin-off that doesn't relate as heavily on OT characters is progress (?)

Disney seems to have a general idea that the best thing to do is having more low stakes, simpler stories in the mix and pace the epic films on a longer schedule.

In a rare praise of MCU, Marvel has hundreds of characters and thousands of stories that explored different tones to draw from, even if you can argue it's not that deep. I think it was a mistake if they believed Star Wars could be milked as intensively.

Can't wait for the surprise hit Jar Jar series that will finally redeem the character.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #5609 on: September 24, 2022, 07:15:38 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/james-earl-jones-darth-vader-voice-rights-1849577608

No one's ever really gone.

I can see Sega and probably a lot of others doing this eventually. Why pay VAs when an AI can do it? :thinking :yuck

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #5610 on: September 24, 2022, 08:14:07 PM »
Apparently Vader's voice was already 100% AI in Obi-Wan. Crazy times

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5611 on: September 24, 2022, 08:25:17 PM »
lol at this thread being bumped but it not being about the new series, that no one seemingly cares about :teehee
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5612 on: September 24, 2022, 08:58:59 PM »
I'll get around to watching it after Rings of Power and House of the Dragon
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5613 on: September 24, 2022, 09:02:18 PM »
lol at this thread being bumped but it not being about the new series, that no one seemingly cares about :teehee
Since they only released the first three episodes with the rest coming weekly I assumed it was a vicious attack by Disney on those like PlanetSmasher who don't have the time to watch shows weekly rather than all at once and I refuse to support these hateful bigoted practices by pirating the show to watch.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5614 on: September 25, 2022, 07:52:12 AM »
I found Rogue One to be a really miserable and unnecessary film, so a spin off of one of the dudes from it is :idont

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5615 on: September 25, 2022, 09:20:01 AM »
ANDOR: I watched all three available episodes, and enjoyed it. The third episode in particular was well directed and edited. I’m not sure where it will end up going, except that it’ll lean toward the nascent rebel alliance.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #5616 on: September 25, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »
Yeah first three episodes were alright. Whole thing is a lot more serious than the other star wars shows but also surprisingly low stakes with basically just Andor trying to flee some cops, though I'm sure this will change once he becomes part of the rebels.

Only annoying aspect is that it's one of those TV shows that's laid out more like a long movie so I'm not sure if I'll really watch it weekly or just wait til all episodes dropped

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5617 on: September 26, 2022, 06:09:53 AM »
Watched first episode of Andor. Was pleasantly surprised...actual tension in a Star War show!!! I'm in for the rest of this season for sure.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Tasty

« Reply #5619 on: September 27, 2022, 09:48:51 PM »
I went from apathy about Ep 9 to now being annoyed at the squandered potential and shitty writing.

I've done at least three 180 turns on Ep 8 and I think I've landed on... liking it, excepting Canto Bight and "love will save us *smooch*".

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5620 on: September 27, 2022, 11:16:32 PM »
I went from apathy about Ep 9 to now being annoyed at the squandered potential and shitty writing.

I've done at least three 180 turns on Ep 8 and I think I've landed on... liking it, excepting Canto Bight and "love will save us *smooch*".
I'm pretty much with you except I was never apathetic about 9. It was always complete shit
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5621 on: September 28, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »
I still haven't seen 9.
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5622 on: September 28, 2022, 05:47:57 PM »
Don't.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Somehow the emperor has returned  :derp
[close]
Spud

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5623 on: September 28, 2022, 06:22:10 PM »
I still haven't seen 8 or 9.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5624 on: September 28, 2022, 06:41:30 PM »
Just make up your own story of what happens after RotJ. It will be better.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5625 on: September 28, 2022, 08:43:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but:

I saw Star Wars in its opening month in 1977. It became an immediate obsession. I was so crazy in love with the movie, it was just amazing. Close to a religious experience, for my young mind.

I collected every series of Topps Star Wars Cards, and when the "Darth Vader's TIE Fighter" card mentioned "next year's model," I took it to mean there would be a sequel. I was overjoyed.

ESB came out in 1980, and it was even more enthralling and engaging than the first movie had been. Lucas talked about making 9 movies total. I was giddy.

ROTJ played in theaters in 1983. I was working in a comic book store at the time, and Marvel accidentally sent out the comic adaptation a week or two early. I grabbed my copy from the store's stash, and read it that very day. It seemed... okay. The movie came out, there were teddy bears beating up stormtroopers. Han Solo didn't seem cool anymore. Vader is redeemed by tossing the Emperor down a hole, though he has killed billions of people. This all seems overly simplistic and childish.

GL stops making Star Wars movies.

Fast forward to 1999, Episode I is released.  I stay up to watch a 1AM showing on its launch. On the way home, I wonder what the fuck I have watched. Home Alone in space? This was not great. The Prequels, on the whole, are entirely disappointing. GL shows us just how much he doesn't want to work with actors. Episode II is worse than I. Episode III is the least bad, but still confusing, ham-handed, overly-reliant on its CG budget. The best thing that can be said is it makes Return of the Jedi seem to make a little more sense by humanizing Anakin.

When Episode VII: The Force Awakens finally appears, it looks like someone has remembered how to make a Star Wars movie. Practical effects, practical sets, some mystery, and a sense of the familiar among everything that's alien. It's good fun.

I know it's contentious, but Rian Johnson's Episode VIII: The Last Jedi is my third favorite starwars work. Listen to the dialog. Hear what he's saying. Rian did his best to take the story from one of hereditary greatness, divine right, the right of kings, to instead democratize the Force. Rey is NO ONE. Her temptation is to join in the service of the selfish, sociopathic hereditary heir, or to risk death and die as a talented nobody. She risks death rather than submit to serving as nihilism's partner. Kylo himself has a point: sometimes you have to tear down the past in order to build the future. Leave it behind. It's fucking great.

But the butthurt fanbois of the world couldn't take a girl hero, couldn't take that their incel champion was simping after this "Mary Sue" character, and so JJ Abrams went back and undid all the democratization of the Force, reintegrated Rey as a member of a heroic bloodline, and erased everything that is interesting in Episode IX.

If you told me in 1977 that all nine films would eventually be made, but that the last one would be so utterly horrible that it would diminish my love for the work as a whole, I would not have believed you. But there it is. Episode IX is irredeemable. åç

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5626 on: September 28, 2022, 08:54:02 PM »
lucas democratized the force when he showed a room full of nobody kids practicing with lightsabers, and rooms full of random jedi from unknown backgrounds, clearly experienced and powerful, and clearly not all "chosen ones"

ahsoka is one of the most popular characters in all of star wars and she's a fucking nobody from nowhere, not from a long line of jedi or anything like that

(she's also female which shows that people don't hate rey just because she's a girl, but because she's a shitty character)

JJ doesn't deserve any defense for anything he did, but rey isn't a "somebody" to reinforce that bloodlines are important, he did it because there was no fucking villain left in play, and rather than try to redeem hux from the comedy relief rian reduced him to, or pull a random chiss out of nowhere and try to make people care about him at the last minute, he had to rely on something marketable...and then there has to be a reason the main characters are connected to the villain, because it's star wars

the other things you praise are the things rian destroys in his own movie:

oh boy it's so great that luke has given up on the jedi and wants to tear down his religion, oh wait by the end he's been beaten into sense by yoda and says he won't be the last jedi

oh yes kylo yas queen, build something new with rey, tear down the past, oh wait he's still just a screaming manchild school shooter with bad ideas and rey still opposes his efforts to destroy

either he always intended his themes to run counter to ideas he established, or he didn't have the balls to stick the landing, and neither of those results in a good film
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:08:23 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #5627 on: September 28, 2022, 09:37:38 PM »

I'm not a Rian Johnson fan, but read about the script he submitted for IX that JJ scrapped completely. It may not have been great and may have had its own stupidity but it at least followed logically from what happened in VIII.

Tasty

« Reply #5628 on: September 28, 2022, 09:52:37 PM »

I'm not a Rian Johnson fan, but read about the script he submitted for IX that JJ scrapped completely. It may not have been great and may have had its own stupidity but it at least followed logically from what happened in VIII.

That was Colin Trevorrow's script  :info

And I agree

Rian was never approached and never reached out himself about doing Episode 9.

benjipwns

« Reply #5629 on: September 28, 2022, 10:00:01 PM »
Erp derp, you're completely right.

They should have forced JJ to punch up that script, especially since the time table was so crunched to start over and still hit the release.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5630 on: September 29, 2022, 02:49:57 PM »
I know it's contentious, but Rian Johnson's Episode VIII: The Last Jedi is my third favorite starwars work. Listen to the dialog. Hear what he's saying. Rian did his best to take the story from one of hereditary greatness, divine right, the right of kings, to instead democratize the Force. Rey is NO ONE. Her temptation is to join in the service of the selfish, sociopathic hereditary heir, or to risk death and die as a talented nobody. She risks death rather than submit to serving as nihilism's partner. Kylo himself has a point: sometimes you have to tear down the past in order to build the future. Leave it behind. It's fucking great.

But the butthurt fanbois of the world couldn't take a girl hero, couldn't take that their incel champion was simping after this "Mary Sue" character, and so JJ Abrams went back and undid all the democratization of the Force, reintegrated Rey as a member of a heroic bloodline, and erased everything that is interesting in Episode IX.

The problem with this interpretation is that what Rian Johnson made was act 2 of an explicitly-stated-to-be 3 act trilogy that throws pretty much everything established in Act 1 away, and also left very little to actually resolve in Act 3.
He went to improv and "No, because"d everything thrown at him instead of "Yes, and"ing.

If he really wanted to make a comedic deconstruction it a) should have been a standalone, not the middle arc of a tentpole franchise, and b) be better than Spaceballs. Which it isn't.

I might be misremembering, but I'm also fairly sure most of the 'Mary Sue' complaints started around his film, even though Rey was the unequivocal heroine of TFA, so to what extent that is a criticism of his film in particular versus generic mouth breathing misogynist fandom menace who would hate anything not-a-man is very much debatable.

Ep 9 is fucking shit, but I can't help but feel its because the pressure was on to salvage an actual trilogy by ignoring Ep8 and trying to compress 2 Acts into 1 film, and ignore what came before. Which wouldn't have been needed if Ep8 had thrown the not-rian-johnsons who were left to pick up the final act a fucking bone.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5631 on: September 29, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
Kylo Ren was a perfectly acceptable antagonist. There was no need to "somehow the emperor has returned" that shit. That's where the problems with 9 began.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5632 on: September 29, 2022, 10:39:44 PM »
Kylo Ren was a perfectly acceptable antagonist. There was no need to "somehow the emperor has returned" that shit. That's where the problems with 9 began.

:hesright

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

« Reply #5634 on: September 29, 2022, 10:52:03 PM »
Writing crutch of a hack: Everything that's happened? SECRET PLAN PULLED OFF PERFECTLY BY GUY YOU KNOW IS BAD (AND WAS THOUGHT TO BE DEAD)! HE ANTICIPATED EVERYTHING!

Runner-up: All those new characters? IRRELEVANT PAWNS OF LONG RUNNING VILLAIN!

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5635 on: October 01, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »

I can't really remmeber and have zero interest in rewatching any of them to refresh my memory, but didn't TFA setup (well, echo back to) a potential love triangle with rey, poe and finn, a la luke / leia / han?
Because I think - but could be wrong - it was ep 8 that started with the main protagonist and antagonist wanting to bang, which uhhh yeah kinda does ruin your main bad guy, and also the guy setup to be the main bad guy behind the visible bad guy also getting written out ASAP.

Thats not in any way defending 'oh yea, and the bad guy from the previous films back now because reasons, as youll know if you play fortnite"

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5636 on: October 01, 2022, 04:27:15 PM »
I don't recall there being ANY sexual tension between Rey and Poe, Rey and Finn or Finn and Poe...but that could have just been bad filmmaking.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5637 on: October 03, 2022, 04:36:49 AM »
I don't recall there being ANY sexual tension between Rey and Poe, Rey and Finn or Finn and Poe...but that could have just been bad filmmaking.
Finn clearly felt he should protect Rey, and seemed like he was running game on her, but it could’ve easily been read as innocent or naive due to being raised in the First Order.

Just noticed this. Looks great.

Borealis

« Reply #5638 on: October 03, 2022, 04:49:18 AM »
Andor any good?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5639 on: October 03, 2022, 05:42:27 AM »
First episode seemed ok. That's as far as I've got due to there being a bunch of better than ok nerd stuff on at the moment.
Spud