Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 139404 times)

seagrams hotsauce

Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2015, 05:13:18 AM »
seeing this thread bumped without a new body count :rejoice

« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
The second cop was bullshitting him when he said they could arrest him for failure to identify. Even when states have stop and identify laws, they still depend on a reasonable suspicion of a committed crime.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
Man I can't image how humiliating that would be to be profiled like that.   

I'm still upset about this a day later.  I mean that black dude just totally assumed that cop was up to no good and not tying to protect the community. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »
Man, that's a load of crap; the tone of the initial officer is so condescending, "Oh, hey, I've got a camera recording this, too." C'mon. The black dude is just giving you fair warning that he's not going to be open to shenanigans. Anyone who's already filming, intentionally creating a record of their police encounter, you have to kind of assume a guilty person isn't going to go through the process of creating MORE EVIDENCE for court.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
I'd like to see a cancer ridden Steve Jobs introduce a new super iPad mini like that.  'O where did this come from?  ...and in 7 different colours!'
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:57:59 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
I'd like to a cancer ridden Steve Jobs introduce a new super iPad mini like that.  'O where did this come from?  ...and in 7 different colours!'

Steve Jobs II: Weekend at Stevie's

Steve Job's shows off the new iPad Pro, but it's Tim Cook working the hands.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »
Seems like a reasonable response from a level headed law enforcement professional.

http://www.wistv.com/story/30353999/video-shows-confrontation-between-spring-valley-student-and-school-resource-officer
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
under arrest for disturbing school

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
School resource officers (SROs) are sworn law enforcement officers who are responsible for providing security and crime prevention services in the American school environment.
Huh. And I thought campus cops were a strange aberration.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
Eventually they'll use the Edo arsenal and it'll look like this:

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »
I've always wanted to be as thin and elegant as a horse. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »
And yet I am stuck in the body of a wombat. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »

« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
This is how some cops see themselves:

« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »

This just challenged everything I know about Canadian politeness. If only the officers had approached him from the start like the officer was doing at the end instead of acting like unprofessional idiots.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #321 on: November 03, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
Did he do something to her to deserve that?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: November 03, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
Did he do something to her to deserve that?

Nope, apparently she just wanted to be on the news.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #325 on: November 06, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
On Thursday, a jury acquitted Officer Lisa Mearkle for shooting David Kassick in Pennsylvania, who was pulled over for an expired inspection sticker. The same day, video of the deadly encounter was released by the local D.A., showing Kassick face down on the ground and obeying Mearkle’s orders before being shot twice.

The fatal traffic stop happened back in February. When Hummelstown Borough Police Department officer tried to pull over Kassick, the man escaped to his sister’s home nearby. A brief foot chase ensued, and the video begins with the officer yelling for Kassick to get on the ground. Mearkle fires her taser — 50,000 volts — into his back, and he writhes in pain in submission. Complying with Mearkle’s commands, Kassick makes his hands visible. As he lays face down on the ground, Mearkle shoots him with her gun, twice.

“At the time Officer Mearkle fires both rounds from her pistol, the video clearly depicts Kassick lying on the snow covered lawn with his face toward the ground, furthermore, at the time the rounds are fired nothing can be seen in either of Kassick’s hands, nor does he point or direct anything toward Officer Mearkle,” District Attorney Ed Marisco wrote in an affidavit.

Mearkle has maintained that she was acting in self-defense. Kassick was unarmed, but during her trial, Mearkle explained that she believed Kassick was holding a weapon. “There was no reason for him to reach into his frigging jacket,” she said.

She also criticized prosecutors for charging her with murder.

“I’m a good police officer. This [arrest] should not have happened to me. I believe I could continue to be a police officer,” Mearkle testified. “I was only charged for political reasons. That’s how I feel.”

After the not-guilty verdict, President Les Neri of the local police union applauded the decision and slammed the public for criticizing cops.

“The demonizing of police officers who are forced to make split-second decisions unfairly tarnishes the work done by good police officers. It ignores the unreasonable actions or crimes committed by those who created these situations in the first place,” he wrote in a press statement.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #326 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
Police union leaders really need to learn to shut up.  He could have said 'We welcome scrutiny and as the results of the trial show, we did our job and were justified in our actions'.  Instead he basically says 'How dare you question what we do?'

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #328 on: November 06, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
"Peel police and RCMP dismantle suspected meth lab in Brampton"

Shouldn't you confirm that it is a methlab before dismantling it Boogie?

Also fuck, where am I going to get my meth now. 

benjipwns

« Reply #329 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Typical pigs shutting down and smearing hobbyist chemistry enthusiasts.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #330 on: November 06, 2015, 11:55:36 PM »
Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo apologized Saturday for comments he made during a press conference about the arrest of a jogger for jaywalking near the UT campus. During that press conference, Acevedo said that "In other cities there's cops who are actually committing sexual assaults on duty, so I thank God that this is what passes for a controversy in Austin, Texas."

:holeup

http://kut.org/post/apd-chief-apologizes-sexual-assault-comment-after-jaywalking-jogger-arrest-update

Oldie but damn...

Also the news about that OKC cop who sexually assaulted about a dozen women ugh.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #331 on: November 07, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »
"Peel police and RCMP dismantle suspected meth lab in Brampton"

Shouldn't you confirm that it is a methlab before dismantling it Boogie?

I know this probably isn't a real question, but the "suspected" part is whether the drug they are producing is meth vs. one of the 346 other scheduled synthetic substances under the CDSA, not the fact that it is an illegal drug lab. ;)

Edit:  and this morning, a woman going for a walk with her four year old son by the site had the kid wave and say "hi" and "thank you", and then thanked us herself as they passed.  Made my week. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:06:46 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
Well of course the kid has got to put up a show for his mom, when secretly he resents you for taking away his lookout income.  How is the kid suppose to buy candy now, Boogie?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »
Kid clearly doesn't deserve his lookout income, given the results.  :patel
MMA

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #334 on: November 08, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
Police union leaders really need to learn to shut up.  He could have said 'We welcome scrutiny and as the results of the trial show, we did our job and were justified in our actions'.  Instead he basically says 'How dare you question what we do?'
http://uk.businessinsider.com/largest-police-union-cautions-quentin-tarantino-2015-11?r=US&IR=T

:doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/11/09/nypd-detective-honored-with-challenge-coin-commemorating-four-justified-kills/

isn't generally killing a person a kind of failure by cops to protect and serve, not an achievement?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »
So, I guess policing is basically a video game now, you try to wrack up as many points as possible without getting on the bad side of Internal Affairs.
dog

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/11/09/nypd-detective-honored-with-challenge-coin-commemorating-four-justified-kills/

isn't generally killing a person a kind of failure by cops to protect and serve, not an achievement?

That is tasteless and morbid but when somebody pulls out a gun on a cop and there's a "gun battle", the correct thing for the cop to do is to try and shoot them until they're sure the person is dead.

I don't think he was much of a cop or a decent person if he's okay with celebrating the shootings with merchandise.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #343 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/driven-hospital-virginia-man-tased-shackled-and-dies-police-custody

He's still twitching, better tase him again. That'll learn him.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
Okay, so..

Yeah, like the rest of you, I find this shit incredibly disturbing.

Okay, yes, a justified shooting is a justified shooting, but commemorating them?   celebrating them?  Hell no guys, give your heads a shake.

However....

isn't generally killing a person a kind of failure by cops to protect and serve,

Fuck that view.  That's fucking asinine.  The lawful, justified use of force by a police officer in the proper execution of his or her duties is neither a failure of that officer's duties to protect and serve, nor is it something to celebrate*.  (*unless that very use of force is in circumstances of protecting other members of the public, of course.....and for that particular officer to "celebrate" surviving a life and death situation, that sort of thing.)

The lawful use of force by police is simply an innate part of the job.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.

MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:08:03 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Considering how quick to the trigger our boys are down here and how readily they're able to avoid any skepticism about it, I remain cynical of "justified" or "lawful use of force."

:yeshrug

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
Considering how quick to the trigger our boys are down here and how readily they're able to avoid any skepticism about it, I remain cynical of "justified" or "lawful use of force."

:yeshrug

Well, that's a gap in our respective perspectives that we just aren't going to be able to bridge.

I am all in favour of punishing bad police behaviour.  And I cringe every time a youtube video or news article appears with a clear-cut incident of a bad cop fucking things up for the rest of us.

But I will not get on board with the blanket previous sentiment.

The proper, lawful use of force is not a case of "police justice."  It is simply a  response to a subject's behaviour and threat level, to the responding officer or a member of the public, given the totality of circumstances.

It is no more a "failure" of one's duties when I chase and tackle a suspect I am attempting to arrest who runs away, than it is for an officer who ducks under the punch of a drunk bar patron who takes a swing at him and give a short elbow to the face in response, than it is for an officer who shoots a suspect who charges at him with a knife or pulls a gun on him.

Improper, unjustified use of force, on the other hand, deserves an entirely different treatment, of course.
MMA

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »
This is why I hope body camera adoption is rapid. Clears up exactly what happened and how fast it was. I don't think you can prevent every bad shooting but at least you can get rid of cops that use improper force.

benjipwns

« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

http://nypost.com/2015/02/15/meet-the-most-decorated-detective-in-nypd-history/
It was the bad old days of 1974, the South Bronx, and NYPD Detective Ralph Friedman and his partner, Robert De Matas, were working undercover, posing as cab drivers.

They watched a group of teens ask a man, Joaquin Castro, 37, for money. Castro turned them down.

“The kid called him a cheap bastard, so [Castro] pulls out a gun and shoots him right in front of us — his chest explodes,” Friedman recalled.

The cops sprinted after Castro along John Street, the killer firing at Friedman as he fled. De Matas tried to outflank him. Castro jumped behind cars and reloaded.

“I stop by a stoop, so I’m covered,” Friedman said. “I shoot at him. He shoots at me, I duck. He turns and shoots at my partner. Then he turns and shoots at me. Then he reloads again. I go to a second gun. I’m lining him up in my sights like I’m shooting at paper, and I’m like, ‘Why isn’t this guy going down?’

“My partner fires one round, and the guy grabs his shoulder. He goes down. I run up and am standing right over him, and he starts to lift his hand up, and I shoot him right in the head. That did it. He dropped the gun. His brains fell out onto the street. And when they get him downtown, would you believe I’d hit him like nine times — in a good grouping right around the belly?”

Friedman was given the Combat Cross, the department’s second-highest honor, for his actions.

For that battle, and the three other men he killed when they tried to murder him in the line of duty, Friedman gave himself something else, a tattoo on his right trigger finger that reads:

“Justified 4X.”
I like the left hand tattoo better:

:american :usacry :american

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
At least he didn't accidentally get JUSTIFIED on the wrong finger.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #351 on: December 01, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
The only thing I'm surprised about is that this was actually uncovered and reported on.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Man-shot-dead-by-S-F-cops-IDd-as-26-year-old-6673167.php#photo-9054615

He must have looked really dangerous to them. Feared for their lives, all of them.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police-reports-met-20151204-story.html
The reports, released by the city late Friday, show that Officer Jason Van Dyke and at least five other officers claim that the 17-year-old McDonald moved or turned threateningly toward officers, even though the video of the October 2014 shooting shows McDonald walking away, and the scenario sketched out by Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez in charging Van Dyke with murder contends he was walking away as well.

At least one patrol officer said McDonald was advancing on the officers in a menacing way and swung his knife at them in an "aggressive, exaggerated manner" before he was shot and killed. Officers claimed, too, that even after McDonald had been shot by Van Dyke, the teen tried to lift himself off the ground with the knife pointed toward the officers, and though he had been mortally wounded, still presented a threat.

The reports, a collection of handwritten statements from the night of the shooting, and follow-up reports in the days and months after, often refer to Van Dyke as VD and call him the victim. McDonald is O, for offender. Some are in police shorthand.

"VD believed O was attacking w/knife," said a report of Van Dyke's account. "Trying to kill VD. In defense of his life, VD backpedaled + fired. O fell to ground, continued to move/grasp knife. VD continued firing. O appeared to be attempting to get up, still holding knife. Pointing at VD."

The statements prompted police supervisors to rule McDonald's death a justifiable homicide just hours after he had been shot 16 times on South Pulaski Road and 41st Street.

With the video of the shooting as a backdrop, the reports — the first detailed accounts from the officers at the scene — offer a way to examine what Van Dyke and his colleagues say happened. Because they diverge so dramatically from the video, they suggest one possible avenue for additional investigation.

That video, which prompted the city to pay McDonald's family $5 million without it filing a wrongful death lawsuit, shows McDonald briskly walking down the middle of the street when Van Dyke fired from the teen's left side. In charging Van Dyke with first-degree murder, prosecutors said the officer opened fire six seconds after exiting his squad car, firing 16 rounds at McDonald in about 14 seconds as the teen was walking away, and was reloading when another officer told him to hold his fire. For 13 of those seconds, McDonald was already lying on the street, prosecutors said.

The video did not show McDonald lunging toward officers as some of them claimed, although there appears to be a silver object in McDonald's right hand. The autopsy on McDonald found that he had the drug PCP in his system.

The reports hint at how Van Dyke may try to defend his actions and explain a perceived threat. A day after the shooting, Van Dyke recalled a bulletin from the department that warned about knives that also shoot bullets. Included in the reports is a December 2012 bulletin about the knife, attributed to an unnamed "Midwest intelligence organization" that warned officers to "remain cognizant of its threat to personal safety."

Van Dyke also told an investigator that he was aware of the dangers of spring-loaded knives and was familiar with the so-called 21-foot-rule that suggests a suspect armed with an edged weapon can injure an officer from that distance.
While some officers on the scene said in the reports that they did not see Van Dyke shoot McDonald, at least five corroborated Van Dyke's account. Walsh, for instance, said McDonald was advancing toward him and Van Dyke, swinging the knife combatively.

Walsh said in his account that he also drew his handgun, then came around the rear of the SUV to join Van Dyke.

Walsh said he repeatedly ordered McDonald to "drop the knife" as he approached the officers.

The report says Walsh was backing up as McDonald drew closer, swinging his knife at police officers — action that did not occur, according to the video the Emanuel administration made available after a judge ordered that it could no longer be kept from the public.

"Officer Walsh also backed up, attempting to maintain a safe distance between himself and McDonald," the reports state. "McDonald ignored the verbal direction given by both Walsh and Officer Van Dyke, and continued to advance toward the officers. When McDonald got within 12 to 15 feet of the officers, he swung the knife toward the officers in an aggressive manner."

Van Dyke opened fire and continued to shoot: "Van Dyke continued firing his weapon at McDonald continued moving on the ground, attempting to get up, while still armed with the knife."

Walsh, according to the reports, did not shoot because Van Dyke was in his line of fire. But he was certain McDonald posed a threat to the officers.

"Officer Walsh said he believed McDonald was attacking Walsh and Officer Van Dyke with the knife and attempting to kill them when the shots were fired," the reports state.

The reports say that when McDonald stopped moving, Walsh kicked the knife away.

"Threat eliminated," the report states.
PDFs: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-pdfs-laquan-mcdonald-police-report-20151204-htmlstory.html

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »

Two LAPD officers try to stop a guy for biking while wearing headphones and he flees. They catch him and have him on the ground at which point it seems like he had a gun which they take away and put to the side. He's wrestling on the ground while they try to handcuff him and one officer accidentally shoots his partner with what appears to be his own service weapon. Then they both shoot the guy several times in the back while he's laying face down and begging not to be shot since he didn't fire the gun.

You don't have to watch it it's pretty bad. But it looks like a clear case of a situation deteriorating from a firearm accident to a cold blooded murder while several witnesses are watching and shouting from their windows.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
Watched it.  Honestly I don't blame the cops, if you go around with a concealed gun (and then had a gun in your hand by the looks of it), its your fault if a cop shoots you, even if you didn't shoot.  I have no sympathy for that.

And of course he tried to flee from the cops for a minor thing, he had a gun on him. 

I do have sympathy for the cops here, if you were shot and the dude is still struggling and you have no idea how bad your wound is and the situation seems out of control you might panic too and kill the guy.  I'd hope that police wouldn't do that but I completely understand why it would happen and don't think its just simple retaliation.   When you shot a guy five times I have less sympathy.