Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 934101 times)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #7260 on: November 18, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
I remember back as a kid trading with a friend who had some really high level Pokémon. Gen 1 or 2. And yeah this level 70 duder would just pull a TV show Charizard and disobey orders now and them.

I presume it works the same way in Gen 8. Somewhere in the menu there is some details about your character and I saw it says that Pokémon up to level 20 will listen to me. This will change with each badge I earn.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7261 on: November 18, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Just copped Captain Todd for $24 on gamefly
fat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7262 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
Captain Toad is such a fun little game.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7263 on: November 18, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Haven't been seeing any disaster reports about the game, so decided to try out the Pokemams yesterday.  Turned off auto-saving although am not sure if that really even matters  Played for a couple of hours:

-The game looks and runs just fine.  Actually appeared to run smoother than in preview videos.  It's not a visual masterpiece or anything, but it's colorful and the world looks "alive."  Character animations in battles are also just fine.  Definitely seems like some of the stuff put up pre-release was legit bullshit.

-Pop-in character models are dumb, but don't affect the gameplay.  Hasn't happened to me during battles.

-The lack of any kind of voice acting is weird.  Just seems like it should be there in major story cut scenes if nothing else.

-Absurd hand-holding to start off, but I can forgive it since this is aimed at a younger crowd.  Also am a Pokemon n00b so it's OK with me.

This is the first time I've tried playing a Pokemon game since the original in 1998, so I can't comment on what's missing or changed from previous releases.  It feels like "babby's first RPG" in some ways, but I guess maybe that's just Pokemon for you or it's going to get more complex with more progression.

Also this is just a mindless, irrelevant nitpick, but it's kind of funny how your character is depicted as clueless and not knowing anything about Pokemon stuff, when in the game world it's clearly a massive part of everyone's lives. 

And my Roku players are just fine.  :P

6 hours in still haven't battled the first gym. I'm pretty sure I'm a little over leveled thanks to dicking around the wild area. Tomorrow. Making my way to the gym. Had to put my main dude in the pokebox cause he was about to turn level 20 and Pokémon won't listen to me at my current badge state yet it seems.

What does this mean?  They don't respond in battles after a certain point?

Also does anyone know how the gift system works?  Can I check daily for stuff?  Got a Meowth yesterday- hey, I recognize that guy!

I think you can only CATCH Pokemon up to 20

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7264 on: November 18, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
Oooo...

That might be true then. I was trying really hard to nab a level 23.and when I wanted to throw a ball it would say something like "it won't settle down" or something.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7265 on: November 18, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
My only beef with Captain Toad for the Switch is that they shouldn’t have replaced the 3D World levels with the Odyssey levels. No reason why they can’t have both, especially since you know 3D World is going to get ported.

Great game otherwise.
🍆🍆

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7266 on: November 18, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »

So there it is in the bottom right. Catching up to 20.potential disobedience as well.

Ya that is my character.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7267 on: November 18, 2019, 03:53:38 PM »
I really wish they hadn't delayed Metroid Prime 4 and it released in a similar state as this so you people would understand why I care so much.

How big would the Cut Corners Defense Force be then? :dunno
If you think Nintendo won't cut corners on a rebooted Metroid Prime 4 which won't ever recoup the investment headed up by a skeleton team at Retro Studios I have a bridge to sell you.  :-*

Hell I'm not even sure if they will actually release Metroid Prime 4 at this point and not just quietly can it in a year or 2.
🤴

« Reply #7268 on: November 18, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
see when a game looks disappointing to me i either ignore it or try it and meet it on its own terms instead of getting all mad about what my expectations were. both work pretty great.

Stop it. I will never forgive FFXIII.

FFXIII, MGS4, and GTA4 are the reason i don't get myself all hyped up on my own expectations and imagination anymore. it's a lot easier to put down a game and move on when i'm not stewing over what direction i thought they should take the series, or when what i expect from the series isn't what they want to focus on. saying "i don't enjoy this and i don't want to play" it ends up being a lot easier (and healthier) than "raaagh how dare they betray me how could they doooo thiiiiis"

This is basically my attitude toward most media in life nowadays, I've got too much other important shit in my life that actually means something to me to deal with. Games and movies and music, etc. just don't carry the same weight.

I did tell my daughter about all the missing Pokemon in Sword and Shield and now every time she sees a commercial for it on TV she's just like "why did they do that? Thats crazy!"
野球

kingv

« Reply #7269 on: November 18, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
Front page of slickdeals LM3 for $42.

It is Rakuten though, so be aware of that.

Order worked for me, $44 shipped after tax

It is some kind of region free import though,... so hopefully has english
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:29:08 PM by kingv »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7270 on: November 18, 2019, 09:34:17 PM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7271 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »

:mynicca
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7272 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
Front page of slickdeals LM3 for $42.

It is Rakuten though, so be aware of that.

Order worked for me, $44 shipped after tax

It is some kind of region free import though,... so hopefully has english

It has English in all region releases...you should be good!
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #7273 on: November 18, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
FYI, that rakuten deal had Pokémans and Link Awakening for about the same price.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7274 on: November 19, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
Joy cons are drifting for the 3rd/4th time in 2 years  ::)

So far everything was fixed under warranty but lets see.

These joy cons are really garbage tier. Never had any other controller drift.

Tasty

« Reply #7275 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
I really wish they hadn't delayed Metroid Prime 4 and it released in a similar state as this so you people would understand why I care so much.

How big would the Cut Corners Defense Force be then? :dunno

Oh I fully understand my dude. Just look at my avatar. Plenty of series I liked pulled some bullshit and nobody should blame you for being disappointed.

To me it's like people jumping on board Resident Evil with RE6 or Devil May Cry with DmC, and then going "What's the big deal? So they changed some things and it's a little janky." It may be a fun enough product, but to fans of the series it clearly lost its way.

I'd say "there's always next year" but I really hope they don't release a game next year and take a breather, because they clearly need it.

Tasty

« Reply #7276 on: November 19, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
Yeah man if anything people should be like "the one big pokemon fan here hates it so this must have some issues". I don't even play Pokemon games but I totally get why it's annoying fans. Especially when everybody is going "haha shut up idiots I LOVE THIS!!! fans of this thing I like are the worst amirite?" like jesus where do you get off?

It's weird because in the same breath these people go "I NEVER played Pokemon and I love this" or "Last I played was 20 years ago. :smug" Admitting to ignorance of the series is nice, and I'm glad the game is doing the job for you personally. But your understanding of the game and and ability to discuss its issues is going to be limited by that ignorance.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7277 on: November 19, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
Speaking of RE6 remember when RE7 came out and was pretty much universally loved

And when DMC5 came out after DmC and was also liked by everyone

Why are you worried? Next Pokemon is about to be fire as fuck

Eat a dick soyboy
fat

Tasty

« Reply #7278 on: November 19, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »
Speaking of RE6 remember when RE7 came out and was pretty much universally loved

Eat a dick soyboy

That is what I said though. :thinking I'm looking forward to seeing how they redeem themselves next game, I just want them to give themselves enough time.

It's strange you're being so aggressive defending Pokemon. Maybe you should chill out?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7279 on: November 19, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
Yeah man if anything people should be like "the one big pokemon fan here hates it so this must have some issues". I don't even play Pokemon games but I totally get why it's annoying fans. Especially when everybody is going "haha shut up idiots I LOVE THIS!!! fans of this thing I like are the worst amirite?" like jesus where do you get off?

It's weird because in the same breath these people go "I NEVER played Pokemon and I love this" or "Last I played was 20 years ago. :smug" Admitting to ignorance of the series is nice, and I'm glad the game is doing the job for you personally. But your understanding of the game and and ability to discuss its issues is going to be limited by that ignorance.

With this game, you've got:

-Longtime fans disappointed by what is missing or changed-up.  Valid criticisms and concerns that I can't discuss since I dunno myself.

-The "everything is always good and you can't be critical of something you like!" crowd- annoying as hell and makes it hard to find out if something is actually good or not. 

-People bashing it from pre-release nonsense that isn't true.  Like, from a technical standpoint...the game is totally fine (The Roku thing is being patched).  No glitches or issues for me.  This doesn't come off like a rushed product at all from my playtime with it.  It's not GOTY but it's solid. 
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7280 on: November 19, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
I was trying to catch em all but lol fuck that there are like 400 Pokemon

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #7281 on: November 19, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »

Stop eating cheetos dude.

My 2 year old switch is fine.
:O

james

« Reply #7282 on: November 19, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »
-People bashing it from pre-release nonsense that isn't true.  Like, from a technical standpoint...the game is totally fine (The Roku thing is being patched).  No glitches or issues for me.  This doesn't come off like a rushed product at all from my playtime with it.  It's not GOTY but it's solid.

Youre totally fine with the N64 era pop in?

kingv

« Reply #7283 on: November 19, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
I’m more than fine with it. It enhances the retro feelings that’s Pokemans give me.

I am hoping more games implement it in the future.

... I don’t actually have pokemans.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7284 on: November 19, 2019, 05:02:16 PM »
dat classic ytmnd  8)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7285 on: November 19, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »

Stop eating cheetos dude.

My 2 year old switch is fine.

Yes but do you have 200 hours in fortnite

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7286 on: November 19, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »

Im fine with the PS3 era graphics of the Switch so I already have lower standards when it comes to the system.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7287 on: November 19, 2019, 05:50:48 PM »
Outside of a few great titles such as Fire Emblem: Three Houses and some fun and short nostalgia trips like Link's Awakening, Nintendo really dropped the ball this year software wise.
Hopefully next year is better. 
:idont
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7288 on: November 19, 2019, 06:25:30 PM »
nintendo put out more good first party games than anyone else this year :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7289 on: November 19, 2019, 07:38:15 PM »

Mentioned it earlier:
Pop-in character models are dumb, but don't affect the gameplay.  Hasn't happened to me during battles.

What I have experienced so far is better than those clips that popped up before release.  Maybe stuff gets worse further in.  I'm still in the beginning areas because I've been grinding, probably for no needed reason, to make the pokemanz OP.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #7290 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »

Man even I'll say that's an extremely low bar...

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7291 on: November 19, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
Outside of a few great titles such as Fire Emblem: Three Houses and some fun and short nostalgia trips like Link's Awakening, Nintendo really dropped the ball this year software wise.
Hopefully next year is better. 
:idont

Fire Emblem Three Houses "great"  :yuck

We're now like 5-6 games into post-waifu fire emblem and literally all of them are totally average to trash except conquest.

At least they arent bankrupt like they would be if they kept their integrity

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #7292 on: November 19, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »
dat classic ytmnd  8)

How have I never seen this?

Also, Pokémon sucks and has sucked since the first sequel gen. Grow up losers.
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7293 on: November 19, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »

I think this is everything they published (the Dragon Quest games too, but those are multi-platform)?

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Tetris 99
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokémon Sword & Shield

Pretty good to me.  Wasn't big on Yoshi and Astral Chain is the best of the bunch.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not Nintendo, but Untitled Goose Game is Switch-only on consoles and is GOTY
[close]
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7294 on: November 19, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »
it was better on ytmnd when it repeated forever, the only pokemon related thing I've enjoyed  8)

Tasty

« Reply #7295 on: November 19, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »

I think this is everything they published (the Dragon Quest games too, but those are multi-platform)?

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Maker 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Tetris 99
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokémon Sword & Shield

Pretty good to me.  Wasn't big on Yoshi and Astral Chain is the best of the bunch.

Right but Sony releases like, 2-3 games a year?

And MS even less?

You could cut that list down to a tenth and it'd still be the best first party output...

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7296 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »
nintendo still da best even on a down year  :D

kingv

« Reply #7297 on: November 19, 2019, 09:33:48 PM »
You forgot:
- Ring Fit Fucking adventure of a life time
- dance of a crypto Zelda whatever.
- I think there was labo release... maybe the VR one?

Nothing on the list this year was true genre defining banger, but way over half of those releases are “good”

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7298 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
You forgot:
- Ring Fit Fucking adventure of a life time
- dance of a crypto Zelda whatever.
- I think there was labo release... maybe the VR one?

Nothing on the list this year was true genre defining banger, but way over half of those releases are “good”

Oh yeah, Ring Fit is actually good for what it is, too.

Astral Chain, Tetris 99 (best battle royal game), Mario Maker 2, and Luigi are way up there.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7299 on: November 19, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »
cadence of hyrule :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

james

« Reply #7301 on: November 20, 2019, 10:46:42 AM »
Nintex is right about Nintendo's 2019 releases.

My most played game of 2019 is Asphalt 9

:brazilcry

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7302 on: November 20, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Real fans play Grandia and enjoy classic games in high definition because good games never go bad
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7303 on: November 20, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
Need to try Asphalt- it's actually not just filled with prompts to buy content, correct?
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7304 on: November 20, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
My most played switch game is probably Overwatch, tbh. It’s my perfect turn off my brain game

james

« Reply #7305 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
Need to try Asphalt- it's actually not just filled with prompts to buy content, correct?

Im ~30 hours in and have spent $0.

Ive unlocked 6 D-class cars (2 maxed), 6 C-class cars (2 maxed), and 2 B-class cars.

The first 1-2 hours are very structured which include "teaching you" how to use the shop. IE, click here to buy, this one is on us! They also introduce a bunch of in game currencies which are confusing and make it seem like youre fucked. They also give you 20 second long races (seriously) as part of this tutorial process. It's a mind boggling stupid design choice that probably killed 80% of their audience. Everything about the tutorial screams "pay to win"

It gets much better from there once they stop with their tutorial shit and you actually unlock all the modes. Online multiplayer is pretty fun, and the daily events can be a challenge.

Every time you turn on the game, there is a "visit the shop!" prompt. You can disable that in the settings to never show up again. Do that immediately.

Aside from that, you WILL want to visit the shop to get your free card pack, which you can claim every 4 hours. You will also want to visit to see some of the hilariously awful deals. Did you know that for just $79.99 you can unlock one (1) S-class car? Who the fuck falls for that?

But yeah, it's the most value Ive gotten out of a game since Pokemon Go, where I spent hundreds of hours and maybe spent $20 that I got for free using google survey credits.

I almost feel like buying something because I feel bad for the devs.

:(

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7306 on: November 20, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Half-Life 3 VR on the Labo will save 2020 for Switch.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7307 on: November 20, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1196955511284994048

My most played switch game is probably Overwatch, tbh. It’s my perfect turn off my brain game

I need to get back to this- stopped playing it after CoD came out.  I pretty much just did  free for all matches and itwas pretty enjoyable.  :)
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7308 on: November 20, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
I do quick play queued for every role (so mostly tank and healz lol) mystery heroes (prob my fav) and I like to fuck around in total mayhem when it’s around

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7309 on: November 20, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »

I think my most played Switch games is Skyrim. :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:goty
[close]
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7310 on: November 20, 2019, 01:35:08 PM »
How many hours bless up

james

« Reply #7311 on: November 20, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Splatoon 2 is still my most-played overall game, but Minecraft is giving it a run for its money. I actually brought over my Wii U world, so my world is over 3 years old now

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7312 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
My most played game is Xenoblade 2 and it was miserable.

Himu

« Reply #7313 on: November 20, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

Eat a dick soyboy

Remember when FFXIII came out and we got two sequels to it and they haven't announced a single player FF game in over a decade (xv and VIIR doesn't count)?

Also there is a decade gap between DMC4 and 5.

Point is, not every series redeems itself. and the ones that do usually take forever in doing so.

So Andy is going  to have to be patient
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7314 on: November 20, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
My most played game is Xenoblade 2 and it was miserable.
:rejoice

Himu

« Reply #7315 on: November 20, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
Ive never played a luigi's mansion. Going to get 1 & 2 on 3ds before 3.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7316 on: November 20, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »

Eat a dick soyboy

Remember when FFXIII came out and we got two sequels to it and they haven't announced a single player FF game in over a decade (xv and VIIR doesn't count)?

Also there is a decade gap between DMC4 and 5.

Point is, not every series redeems itself. and the ones that do usually take forever in doing so.

So Andy is going  to have to be patient

Why don't XV and the VII remake count as single player FF games?  ???
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #7317 on: November 20, 2019, 04:38:50 PM »
Haven't announced a new single player FF game

XV is just rebranded versus.

FFVIIr is a damn remake.

XIV is an mmo.

The last FF that's single player and entirely new was 13LR unless you count that chibi game from the other year.

And XV wasn't good either. Point is, not all franchises redeem themselves. Some keep digging the hole. Hell, DMC4 wasn't even considered a great DMC game when it came out because it was full of flaws. So the last great DMC was 3, released in 2005. That's a 14 year gap. Meanwhile there's still no FFXVI announcement.

The point?

Andrew might be waiting longer than he thinks.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7318 on: November 20, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
World of Final Fantasy? Not mainline of course, but it seems to be well liked.

Himu

« Reply #7319 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
World of Final Fantasy? Not mainline of course, but it seems to be well liked.

Enjoy the "I miss ______ so much I'm willing to take scraps" feel Andrex. :tocry
IYKYK