Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 948508 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #3540 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:32 AM »
JFC why the fuck would you ever change cylinder to capsule collision? They had to have known.
Maybe? They have commented on the differences to the original here:
https://blog.activision.com/t5/Crash-Bandicoot/Go-Ahead-and-Jump/ba-p/10319197

They wanted to "unify the experience across all three games" using the 3rd as a base, and acknowledge that the first one now "requires more precision", but believe the dynamic difficulty changes they've made make up for it. They recommend people new to the series start with the 2nd or 3rd game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3541 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3542 on: July 11, 2018, 11:11:39 PM »
Beat Crash Bandicoot.  Fuck this game.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Crash Bandicoot 2 and it's almost night and day difference.  A much better game.

Also any word on how good the latest Shining game is?
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3543 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »

Most sites seem to agree that it's animu out of 10.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3544 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »

There's a demo available.  Seems like most people are waiting for Octopath Traveler on Friday...
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3545 on: July 12, 2018, 11:46:16 PM »
Bomb Chicken is up and is pretty good.  It's a 2D platformer where you can lay an unlimited number of bombs and have to use them as both weapons and ways to get around the stages, since you can't jump.  Pretty slick little game!

ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #3546 on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »
Was looking forward to this. Price is a bit steep. How long is it?
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3547 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
Was looking forward to this. Price is a bit steep. How long is it?

Apparently 29 levels long.  Not sure how much time to complete is needed.

Edit: Eurogamer says:

While somewhat brief for the price ($15 or £12) and lacking secondary features like multiplayer, Bomb Chicken makes a terrific on-the-go game. Each of the 29 stages boils down into five or six individual sections that take seconds to beat once you've worked out the solution. They're book-ended by elevators that whisk you away to a sort of fast food shrine, where a menacing chicken idol booms about conquering the world via the addictive properties of hot blue sauce. Here you'll trade in the gems you've collected to increase the number of continues available per level.

The game's use of lives can be frustrating towards the finish, but is quite gentle by throwback platformer standards. It retains progress such as unlocked doors or gems collected once you've passed through the area in question, which eases the (frequent) pain of running out of continues and starting a level from scratch. You can also dip back into chapters from the pause screen to scoop up any gems you've missed, many tucked away in extra-hazardous treasure rooms screened by crumbling walls.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:44:24 AM by bork »
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #3548 on: July 13, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
Yeah, sounds like it's a bit pricey. 10 bucks would be an Insta Buy. On the other hand after Celeste and hollow Knight I am worn out on tough platformers, this looks a lot more relaxing. Might get it but I will get Pool Panic First.
Gulp

Fifstar

« Reply #3549 on: July 13, 2018, 11:23:48 AM »
It reminds me of escape goat which I loved back then.
Gulp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3550 on: July 14, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Got in Captain Toad, Octopath Traveler, and Shining Resonance (the special uguu edition) last night.

Got to stop my habit of buying any halfway decent Switch game.  My backlog is now at over 30 games.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3551 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Do you have Ys VIII on anything yet? Might as well grab the Switch version of that if you don't.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3552 on: July 14, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
Do you have Ys VIII on anything yet? Might as well grab the Switch version of that if you don't.

I do.  It's sitting in the backlog.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3553 on: July 14, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
Just discovered that the 8bitdo controller I bought last Christmas for my Raspberry pi can pair up with my Switch after the latest firmware update, bless up, no more shitty joycons for meeeee

:rejoice
yar

kingv

« Reply #3554 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:43 AM »
It’s kind of weird to me how in their last two consoles Nintendo has become the most open company peripheral wise. You can basically pair any Bluetooth controller.

Tasty

« Reply #3555 on: July 15, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
It’s kind of weird to me how in their last two consoles Nintendo has become the most open company peripheral wise. You can basically pair any Bluetooth controller.

-Bluetooth
-USB Type-C
-SD/MicroSD
-ARM

Nintendo making all the right moves. 8)

Corporal

« Reply #3556 on: July 16, 2018, 01:55:37 AM »
-Bluetooth but no Bluetooth Audio support
-USB Type-C but terribly broken PD protocol implementation
-MicroSD as usual
-ARM as usual

I'd say, they did their level best to add their own spin to the NVidia reference design...  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bonus:

-shitty WLAN reception/throughput/latency
[close]
!list

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3557 on: July 16, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
Holy shit... I can pair my Bluetooth Xbone controller to the Switch? Niiiice. That solves the shit d-pad issue for me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3558 on: July 16, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
Holy shit... I can pair my Bluetooth Xbone controller to the Switch? Niiiice. That solves the shit d-pad issue for me.

It does?  ???

Anyway, you need an adapter to use PS4 and Xbone controllers on Switch.  8BitDo controllers are the only ones that just pair right up, IIRC.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3559 on: July 16, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
-Bluetooth but no Bluetooth Audio support
-USB Type-C but terribly broken PD protocol implementation
-MicroSD as usual
-ARM as usual

I'd say, they did their level best to add their own spin to the NVidia reference design...  :-\

Bonus:

-shitty WLAN reception/throughput/latency
[close]

The Switch is the first mainstream video game console to use ARM tho :thinking

"MicroSD as usual"

*glances as Vita*

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3560 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »

Didn't the 3DO (lol), GBA, DS, and 3DS use ARM as well? :thinking
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3561 on: July 16, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
I remember reading that 3DO didn’t have a hardware divide. I’m assuming it just turned it all into multiplication at compilation or something...

But I don’t know enough about hardware to know if that is actually unusual or if the person writing the article is just as dumb as me about it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3562 on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
No no, it's the first mainstream video game console to have ARMS.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3563 on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
:ohhh
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3564 on: July 16, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

:nothot

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3565 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3566 on: July 16, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »

:dice

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3567 on: July 16, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »
Most people didn't know how to access the 1080p mode in Bionic Commando for the NES, even though it was advertised on the box.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3568 on: July 16, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »

Didn't the 3DO (lol), GBA, DS, and 3DS use ARM as well? :thinking

Should have specified home console. Though it does follow from the GBA-ARM lineage on the handheld side, you are right.

3DO is excluded by my use of the word "mainstream," lol.

kingv

« Reply #3569 on: July 16, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Capcom has always been good about supporting new technologies. Capcom 5 was evidence of this.

Tasty

« Reply #3570 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
I remember reading that 3DO didn’t have a hardware divide. I’m assuming it just turned it all into multiplication at compilation or something...

But I don’t know enough about hardware to know if that is actually unusual or if the person writing the article is just as dumb as me about it.

You mean a divide between CPU and GPU? That would be pretty weird. Would that be like a SoC? :thinking

kingv

« Reply #3571 on: July 16, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
No, I mean like it couldn’t natively do division (like 2 divided by 2) in hardware.

I don’t even remember where I read that.

My friend had a 3DO and I remember it being really impressive at the time, and has the first in a long line of terrible Naughty Dog games.

Tasty

« Reply #3572 on: July 16, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
That's pretty fucked up if true. :lol

Like I can maybe understand not supporting modulus division or something, but just... division in general? How would you even get something to run? Unless each game implemented their own divide() method or something... but that just sounds stupid.

Corporal

« Reply #3573 on: July 16, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
Aaaaacshually, specifically divide-and-multiply-by-2 (and powers thereof) is trivial in CPU design and included in I dare say all architectures. It's inherent in the system, so to say. At least for integers, floating point numbers are a bit more complicated - and probably not supported by the old-ass CPUs of back then anyway because floating point maths were terrible from a performance and silicone die area perspective. We were still banging rocks together, so to speak.

Anyway, division by arbitrary numbers is another matter entirely and I wouldn't be shocked to find out that they relegated that function to a software only solution.

How to divide a binary integer by two: shift all bits one place to the right and fill the leftmost one with a zero. Two places for 2^2. Divide by eight by shifting it three places.

32d = 0010 0000b
16d = 0001 0000b
 8d = 0000 1000b
and so on...

As you can see above, multiplication works by shifting left and once again filling the void with a zero. It actually works with numbers of arbitrary length. Also, obviously it's not gonna give you fractions, although you can work around that if you are determined:

7d = 0000 0111b >> 0000 0011b = 3d (plus one bit you could possibly save manually or automatically depending on architecture)

Actually, you can futz around with that even more and just define your own floating point model, as long as you keep track of which part of the bitfield is the fraction, so to speak.

7.0d = 0000 111.0b >> 0000 011.1b = 3.5d as a simple example. Obviously, only using one bit to save the fraction restricts you terribly, since you can only save the two values of x.0 or x.5 that way. Two bits already offer a granularity of x.0, x.25, x.5 and x.75, three give you access to all eighths, etc.

It's good enough for 3D applications - the DS didn't have a dedicated floating point unit IIRC, so that's how devs worked around that. Might be misremembering things though - still, the DS had a terribly old CPU. Really freaky and pretty interesting GPU though.
[close]
!list

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #3574 on: July 17, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
There's an insane Youtube video where Burger Becky, who coded Doom 3DO, goes over how she got it working without a ton of stuff that Carmack took for granted on x86. It's amazing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3575 on: July 17, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
There's an insane Youtube video where Burger Becky, who coded Doom 3DO, goes over how she got it working without a ton of stuff that Carmack took for granted on x86. It's amazing.

I think I saw this- Is that where it's mentioned how the publisher was claiming a perfect port would be out by the end of that year, which was not possible, and that she got a lot of the code/assets from the Jaguar port...or am I thinking of the Jaguar port?   :)
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3576 on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Yeah those Youtube videos that delve deep into the architecture of retro consoles are fascinating, like how the Saturn hardware calculated quads instead of triangle, which made multi platform titles a pain in the ass.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3577 on: July 17, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »
Its because sega didnt believe in 3D at home despite being all in 3D in the arcades

Seeeegaaaaa

Meanwhile I already put 45 hours into Fortnite on Switch

agrajag

« Reply #3578 on: July 17, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
I just can't be bothered to give a rats ass about Fortnite. The art style makes it look like n64 vomit to me.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3579 on: July 17, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
I just can't be bothered to give a rats ass about Fortnite. The art style makes it look like n64 vomit to me.

Then there's the actual gameplay, which is sort of like warmed over shit
yar

Corporal

« Reply #3580 on: July 17, 2018, 08:21:08 PM »
Which reminds me, I should probably play some more Paladins before I completely forget the controls and map layouts...

naaaah.

Octopussy be too tempting.
Why get owned miserably when I can instead cut my eyes on delicious pixels in some weird 2.5D RPG thingamabop. Less lag and shitty WiFi issues as well.
:aah

Also, whosoever reminded me that the new Splatoon Amiibos are out, is a dick.
 :sheik
*25 bucks later*
What the fuck am I going to do with them, anyway.

Pearl is so fucking scary.

I hate her design.

*puts figurines on shelf with the rest*

Grumble grumble. Fucking Nintendo.  :-\
!list

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3581 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »
Liked for the Octopath love, not your filty, degenerate amiibo habit. Seek help, bruh.
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3582 on: July 17, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »

Sorry your a fucking old loser

Bitch
dur

Huff

« Reply #3583 on: July 17, 2018, 10:50:25 PM »
Also I’m praying for our mentally handicapped friend corporal
dur

agrajag

« Reply #3584 on: July 17, 2018, 11:28:27 PM »
 :huh

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3585 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »
You guys shouldnt be so down on Fortnite, I thought it was a dumb PUBG rip off but its actually great fun.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3586 on: July 18, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
You guys shouldnt be so down on Fortnite, I thought it was a dumb PUBG rip off but its actually great fun.

I play this here and there and it seems like a much more polished and complete game compared to PUBG, but I would enjoy these kinds of games more if they had a play mode with respawns and people dropping in closer to one another.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3587 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
I have played a little fortnight. I don’t hate it but not do I love it. I really don’t like the building mechanics but the idea of 100 people in a big map is kind of cool.

I’m curious how this will play out in the new call of duty game. I don’t usually like COD much, but battle royale with cod mechanics sounds interesting to me.

On a side note, where are our asymmetric multiplayer games? I remember really liking that splinter cell multiplayer back in the day.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3588 on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
Asymetric will never be mainstream I think, Evolved tried..

Not sure how battle royale will translate to cod, isnt it basically death match but with no respawns?

Huff

« Reply #3589 on: July 18, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »

I play this here and there and it seems like a much more polished and complete game compared to PUBG, but I would enjoy these kinds of games more if they had a play mode with respawns and people dropping in closer to one another.

???  ???
I would really like strategy games but if there was no strategy and 3rd person shooting instead
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3590 on: July 18, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »

???  ???
I would really like strategy games but if there was no strategy and 3rd person shooting instead

:iface
 Nothing like what I said.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3591 on: July 18, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
you know respawns and battle royale are mutually exclusive concepts right?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3592 on: July 18, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
you know respawns and battle royale are mutually exclusive concepts right?

I don't mean for the main free-for-all type mode.  That would never end.  :lol  I mean for the team battle type modes.  You could have a set amount of lives or a point system or something.  Basically a team deathmatch/battle royale fusion with the two 50-man teams.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3593 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
That sounds cool

kingv

« Reply #3594 on: July 18, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
Asymetric will never be mainstream I think, Evolved tried..

Not sure how battle royale will translate to cod, isnt it basically death match but with no respawns?

I think so, but I just feel like CODs mechanics are better than fortnites. Might need to beef health a bit for a battle royale though.

Isn’t Borks idea basically... battlefield series with 38 more players? (Which I wouldn’t hate necessarily)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3595 on: July 19, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
Yeah, just a big-ass TDM mode with the Fortnight maps and play mechanics. 
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3596 on: July 19, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
Even the shrinking map could be fun with that many people in a tdm. Obviously it would get very chaotic.... but fun!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3597 on: July 19, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
We need to make this game and become million-billionaires.
:money
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3598 on: July 19, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
We need to make this game and become million-billionaires.
:money

Let’s use unreal engine.

Tasty

« Reply #3599 on: July 19, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
Nah use Gamebryo™, bro.