Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946601 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #7020 on: November 13, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »
Someone posted fake reviews a couple of days ago. Interesting to compare.

Game Informer: 8/10
"A breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise, though not quite a Breath of the Wild."

Nintendo Life: 10/10
"Pretty soon, fans will look back and laugh at the fact that they were ever worried at all."

EGM: 8.5/10
"But at the end of the day, a fun game's a fun game, and Game Freak still knows it best."

IGN: 8/10
"And while the amount of linearity is undeniably disappointing, there's still plenty to love in Nintendo's latest."

Destructoid: 8.5/10
"I stayed up until 4AM last night to finish this game by review time, and I've had a pretty, pretty, pretty good journey."

GameSpot: 7.5/10
"It's hard not to wish things were brighter in foggy not-London."

Eurogamer: (Recommended)
"That said, Pokemon's glory days might be behind it. But like an old dog, Nintendo can still learn tricks where it counts."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-sword-shield-spoiler-leak-and-datamine-thread-2-page-401-update-datamining-has-begun.152324/page-111#post-26361989
:O

james

« Reply #7021 on: November 13, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
One town, that you'll likely anticipate visiting, turns out to be a single, left-to-right street, where the only door that opens is the Pokémon Center, like you've stumbled onto an old western set. Another houses a vast, imperious hotel that fills an entire district of the place by itself, but has nothing in it. Where you'd once, aboard the S.S. Anne, be rewarded for checking everything from the captain's bridge to a bedroom bin, 20 years later, inside Sword and Shield's most grandiose landmarks, you can't get past an itemless, trainerless, Pokémonless lobby on the ground floor.

:oreilly :crybaby :stop

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-13-pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-a-shadow-of-a-former-great

Tasty

« Reply #7022 on: November 13, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
Man ditching sprites sure worked out great

Tasty

« Reply #7023 on: November 13, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »

"A breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise, though not quite a Breath of the Wild."

"Pretty soon, fans will look back and laugh at the fact that they were ever worried at all."

"But at the end of the day, a fun game's a fun game, and Game Freak still knows it best."

"And while the amount of linearity is undeniably disappointing, there's still plenty to love in Nintendo's latest."

"I stayed up until 4AM last night to finish this game by review time, and I've had a pretty, pretty, pretty good journey."

"That said, Pokemon's glory days might be behind it. But like an old dog, Nintendo can still learn tricks where it counts."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-sword-shield-spoiler-leak-and-datamine-thread-2-page-401-update-datamining-has-begun.152324/page-111#post-26361989

Game Informer:  9.25/10
"Final Fantasy XIII is a phenomenal RPG and a technical milestone for the series."

1up: A-
"Square should be commended for embarking on an interesting journey down a daring road when so many of their competitors are content to stand, directionless, back at the crossroads."

IGN: 8.9/10
"Final Fantasy XIII is a great JRPG and sports a fast-paced, challenging, satisfying battle system. The game also boasts an intricate story, a likeable cast of characters and the best visuals in the series yet (of course)."

Destructoid: 4/10 :lol
"It's the worst main chapter in the Final Fantasy series to date, and if this is the future of the franchise, that future is incredibly bleak indeed. "

GameSpot: 8.5/10
"There are some elements that keep Final Fantasy XIII from being everything it could have been. Even so, it is still a legitimately great game for its eye-catching art, fantastic story, and enjoyable battles, which means it has a lot in common with the Final Fantasy games that came before it."

Eurogamer: 8/10
"What's left, though, is faultlessly accomplished, gorgeous to behold and, in the long run, thoroughly enjoyable. For better or worse, it's another new beginning, and that's one Final Fantasy tradition that should never be changed."

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7024 on: November 13, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
My Pokémon expectations have been dampened with seeing the various blurbs about the net after mostly going in blind aside from like 3 various trailers, including the one released in the last 7 days or whenever Nintendo released it.

Not having played since Black/White I'm still looking forward to it. I couldn't care less about double kick animations, really, so I guess we'll see if stuff like that Eurogamer quote a few posts up is true for many areas. Cause that's what would be a downer for me.

Edit: sheeeeeeiiit. I read that Eurogamer review now. Well, pffff. I don't know  :lol. Maybe I should wait for the next Pokémon games. Fuck it.

Edit 2: but the ign video review makes me want to play it. What do??  :-\

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:08:35 AM by EchoRin »

james

« Reply #7025 on: November 13, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
but the ign video review makes me want to play it. What do??  :-\

Easy decision depends on how you answer this one question:

Are you younger or older than 12?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7026 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
I mean I still dabble in Pokémon Go so  :whatsthedeal

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7027 on: November 13, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
It looks like a pokemon game. so if you like pokemon games you'll probably like a pokemon game.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7028 on: November 13, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
Grrrr. I think I'll wait for more reviews. If I see more stuff like the Eurogamer point of view I'll probably pass. Of course I enjoy Pokémon proper as it is, but I don't want to have some lean bare bones experience.

« Reply #7029 on: November 13, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
My knowledge of Pokemon is from osmosis of my daughter watching the show (she's plowing through every single season on DisneyXD OnDemand and I often see/hear random bits while doing shit around the house) and her telling me about stuff from Alpha Sapphire and Moon on her 3DS. I saw the full list of cut Pokemon and I was surprised at how many of the OG classic Pokemon got omitted. I know they're useless but no Jigglypuff or Psyduck? C'mon man.

She wants a Switch but we're thinking we'll wait a year or so. We got her X for Christmas since she asked for it, and she really wants to play Black/White (due to the Legendary Pokemon or something, I don't really know. This must have been how it felt for my parents when I would blab about random dinosaur names when I was little) so I might see about snagging a used copy. Explaining to her the various Nintendo handhelds over the years and the different cartridge formats on the walk to school the other morning was fun.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:46:13 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Rman

« Reply #7030 on: November 13, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
I didn't know how crazy Pokemon fans are with all this SwSh wankery.

They be wilding, yo.

james

« Reply #7031 on: November 13, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
I mean I still dabble in Pokémon Go so  :whatsthedeal

Thats different, certified nostalgia is allowed

Occam

« Reply #7032 on: November 13, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
And now back to the game that doesn't happen to be a mass-produced soulless corporate cash grab: Valfaris.
(Image removed from quote.)

It only looks like yet another run of the mill retro indie game. But I guess there really are two sides of the same coin

Tasty

« Reply #7033 on: November 13, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
I didn't know how crazy Pokemon fans are with all this SwSh wankery.

They be wilding, yo.

Ha, you must be new to gaming.

Although the crazier thing would be the majority of the fanbase blindly defending every aspect of the new games.

Instead we have a couple of hashtags, and I'm not sure if that's better. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #7034 on: November 13, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
You can get Super Mario Sunshine on Nintendo.com for $56.99 :rejoice

This misled me into thinking Nintendo goofed and GameCube games on Switch got leaked via their website or something. :maf

james

« Reply #7035 on: November 13, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
Speaking of goofed....

After they released the SNES games, did they completely stop adding NES or SNES games? Havent heard a word about new ones

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7036 on: November 13, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
oh no the games that looked like gameboy shit for 25 years now look like n64 shit whatever will the fans do?
Still pay full price for Nintendo game even 3 years after launch and not even bat an eye.  :doge
I never understood this sentiment. I mean, you pay full price for a Nintendo game after three years because it's still worth playing after three years.

No one pays full price for most other games because after three years they are not worth playing because of the need to buy additional DLC, the online is dead, or there are X number of clones that have come out that just do it better.

I mean, who pays full price for a three year old Ghost Recon or Assassin's Creed game when two sequels and the spinoffs have been released in the meantime?

Super Mario Odyssey on the other hand. What choices do you have?  Sure, you can play a third party imitation, but you're not going to have a good time.

You have to remember there are two parts to supply and demand. Sure there is high demand for Ghost Recon and Assassin's Creed, but the supply is also high. The only time Nintendo can be accused of oversupplying is with Mario Party and even then they've course corrected recently.

It's not even like Nintendo haven't railed against this devaluation of software. It's one is the reasons they took so long to get into mobile.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:44:06 PM by Potato »
Spud

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7037 on: November 13, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »
Speaking of goofed....

After they released the SNES games, did they completely stop adding NES or SNES games? Havent heard a word about new ones
they said there won't be any more regular releases of nes/snes games. there may be more in the future but no promises.

james

« Reply #7038 on: November 13, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
Speaking of goofed....

they said there won't be any more regular releases of nes/snes games. there may be more in the future but no promises.

They used to release games the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Most people read "no more regular" as moving to a random schedule...not ending entirely.

Its been over 2 months!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7039 on: November 13, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
i feel like when they announced this i predicted the end of game drops and you said there was no chance of that

You must be a restera user because clearly you cant fucking read.

"More NES games will be added in the future, but those releases will not adhere to a regular schedule," a Nintendo representative told Business Insider in an email this week. "

So instead of releasing on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, the games will likely release tied to other events. IE, release Mario is Missing the day before Luigis Mansion.

Could even mean games release more frequently. Instead of 3 every month, they could do 1 a week (nes-snes-nes-snes)

thinking nintendo will give more than promised :lol

james

« Reply #7040 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
i feel like when they announced this i predicted the end of game drops and you said there was no chance of that

You must be a restera user because clearly you cant fucking read.

"More NES games will be added in the future, but those releases will not adhere to a regular schedule," a Nintendo representative told Business Insider in an email this week. "

So instead of releasing on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, the games will likely release tied to other events. IE, release Mario is Missing the day before Luigis Mansion.

Could even mean games release more frequently. Instead of 3 every month, they could do 1 a week (nes-snes-nes-snes)

thinking nintendo will give more than promised :lol

Im a nintentard

:fbm

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7041 on: November 13, 2019, 06:11:05 PM »
we all are :fbm

that's why we should know better than to trust these assholes :lol

james

« Reply #7042 on: November 13, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7043 on: November 13, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
"Pokemon Sword and Shield really makes you feel like a Pokemon"

"There's something to enjoy for everybody"
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7044 on: November 13, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »
Man ditching sprites sure worked out great

Yeah, that's why the reviews say it's the best Pokemon yet.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #7046 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:23 PM »

Game Informer:  9.25/10
"Final Fantasy XIII is a phenomenal RPG and a technical milestone for the series."

1up: A-
"Square should be commended for embarking on an interesting journey down a daring road when so many of their competitors are content to stand, directionless, back at the crossroads."

IGN: 8.9/10
"Final Fantasy XIII is a great JRPG and sports a fast-paced, challenging, satisfying battle system. The game also boasts an intricate story, a likeable cast of characters and the best visuals in the series yet (of course)."

Destructoid: 4/10 :lol
"It's the worst main chapter in the Final Fantasy series to date, and if this is the future of the franchise, that future is incredibly bleak indeed. "

GameSpot: 8.5/10
"There are some elements that keep Final Fantasy XIII from being everything it could have been. Even so, it is still a legitimately great game for its eye-catching art, fantastic story, and enjoyable battles, which means it has a lot in common with the Final Fantasy games that came before it."

Eurogamer: 8/10
"What's left, though, is faultlessly accomplished, gorgeous to behold and, in the long run, thoroughly enjoyable. For better or worse, it's another new beginning, and that's one Final Fantasy tradition that should never be changed."

Destructoid with the most accurate review  :lol

Sterling :trumps

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7047 on: November 13, 2019, 07:37:10 PM »
botw and odyssey are $15 on black friday :wag

but yeah otherwise you are right :lol
Yo what where I haven't copped odyssey yet but totally will for $15
Hi

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7048 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Odyssey is well worth it, easily the best nintendo developed game on the Switch.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7049 on: November 13, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »
Best I'm seeing doing a bit of Google-fu is $30 for SMO but that's still half off MSRP.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7050 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:45 PM »
Yo what where I haven't copped odyssey yet but totally will for $15
Oh damn I thought it was 15 but its $30 at Target. :gloomy

kinda annoyed cause i swear i saw a tweet about it being cheaper there on one of those game deal accounts

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7051 on: November 13, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
Man, I really need to bring myself to play botw and odyssey, fuck’s wrong with me

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7052 on: November 13, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
Man, I really need to bring myself to play botw and odyssey, fuck’s wrong with me

BoTW kind of trailed off for me (will go back to it one day!) but Odyssey was :lawd.  Was glued to it from start to finish.
ど助平

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7053 on: November 13, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »

james

« Reply #7054 on: November 13, 2019, 11:44:47 PM »
I really thought Nintendo would have a game of the year edition of botw with the dlc by now

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #7055 on: November 14, 2019, 01:56:53 AM »
Nintendo would never leave money on the table by doing that

This thread needs some good vibes

https://twitter.com/natskashi/status/1194676469085212673

Tasty

« Reply #7056 on: November 14, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
I really thought Nintendo would have a game of the year edition of botw with the dlc by now

Mario Kart 8 tipped their hand. GOTY/DLC compiled editions are for the next console.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, literally a port of MK8 + DLC + five new battle tracks, is the current Switch best-seller at 19.01 goddamn million units. It's sold three million more than #2 and #3, Smash and Odyssey, respectively, and probably won't be surpassed by another Switch game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7057 on: November 14, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »

Mario Kart 8 tipped their hand. GOTY/DLC compiled editions are for the next console.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, literally a port of MK8 + DLC + five new battle tracks, is the current Switch best-seller at 19.01 goddamn million units. It's sold three million more than #2 and #3, Smash and Odyssey, respectively, and probably won't be surpassed by another Switch game.

I think for a lot of those 19 million people, this wasn't a re-release so much as it was a new game for them.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #7058 on: November 14, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
Sure, I'm not saying BotW GOTY Edition on Switch 2 is going to do MK8DX numbers (almost everything rarely does MK numbers), but from Nintendo's perspective it clearly makes more sense to hold such compiled editions back for a new system.

It seems unlikely at this point we'll get another all-new Smash; I'd say "Smash Ultimate GOTY Edition" is a lock for Switch 2, and at that point they can start the DLC roadshow all over again for that version.

Tasty

« Reply #7059 on: November 14, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
I also wanna say for the record, if they do start an all-new Smash, it's going to be a fan bloodbath worse than SwSh. I can't imagine such a game would be anything except a hard reboot at this point, especially if Sakurai finally leaves like he's said.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7060 on: November 14, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »
Sakurai is going to have to retire from Smash sooner or later, so they might as well rebuild it then. I thought the hard reboot was coming after Smash 4, but Ultimate makes it seem even more inevitable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7061 on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
Ehh.. Wii-U was a massive flop so MK8 for Switch had a market full of people who never played it on Wii-U to sell to.

edit: what dork said

brb changing your name to "cum guzzler 69."
:ohyeah
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7062 on: November 14, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
It seems unlikely at this point we'll get another all-new Smash; I'd say "Smash Ultimate GOTY Edition" is a lock for Switch 2, and at that point they can start the DLC roadshow all over again for that version.

While I can see them going this route, I can also see them starting all over again with a new title on the next platform, with new mechanics and the like.  Then they can just re-sell older characters as new DLC- a fighting game staple nowadays.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #7063 on: November 14, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »
Sakurai is going to have to retire from Smash sooner or later, so they might as well rebuild it then. I thought the hard reboot was coming after Smash 4, but Ultimate makes it seem even more inevitable.

I'm really glad we got to Ultimate. Every character. If they rebooted after Smash 4 I'd be pretty salty, but I can't complain at all now.

He did it. The crazy bastard did it. :mynicca

james

« Reply #7064 on: November 14, 2019, 11:16:03 AM »

Thats exactly why I thought Zelda would have a GOTY edition!

Switch IS the next console. BOTW is a lazy port with removed features!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7065 on: November 14, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
Ostensibly grown ass men spending pages complaining/crying about what has always been a shitty, shallow child's game

:kermit
yar

Tuckers Law

« Reply #7066 on: November 14, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

I think for a lot of those 19 million people, this wasn't a re-release so much as it was a new game for them.

For all it’s floppiness, Wii U had a glorious library with many worthy of ports  :rejoice
Don’t @ me SpielerEins :hmph
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:52:44 AM by Tuckers Law »

paprikastaude

« Reply #7067 on: November 14, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »
:gurl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7068 on: November 14, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Ostensibly grown ass men spending pages complaining/crying about what has always been a shitty, shallow child's game

:kermit

But this isn't about Fire Emblem.  ???

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:ohyou
[close]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7069 on: November 14, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

For all it’s floppiness, Wii U had a glorious library with many worthy of ports  :rejoice
Don’t @ me SpielerEins :hmph

"Glorious" is a bit much, outside of a handful of titles.  :bow BAYONETTA 2 :bow2
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7070 on: November 14, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
wii U flopped because it didn't have skyward sword  ;)

paprikastaude

« Reply #7071 on: November 14, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
Bayo 2  :drool
ZombiU :jawalrus The only game where the disadvantage of an asinine shit controller made sense.
Mario Kart :like A rehash of 7, but at least that was one game that looked like I imagined Nintendo games in HD (until like Luigi's Mansion 3). Also in the original version the balancing was better than expected.
Dankey :idont Felt near identical to the Wii game (with different backgrounds) and it didn't even cut the bad parts like flappy birds stages. But at least it's the best 2D rehash they've made this decade and I'd replay it over the waggle original these days.

Everything else :holeup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7072 on: November 14, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
:bow Tokyo Mirage Session #FE :bow2
©@©™

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7073 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:52 PM »
I get that this is me being a snob, but W101 shits on Bayo 2 from atop a mountain and the respective reception of those two games shows why the whole genre is dead outside of Devil May Cry and Nintendo funded vanity projects.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7074 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
:bow Tokyo Mirage Session #FE :bow2

VAGINA BONELESS Switch port  :gloomy

What else needs to get ported over to Switch at this point?

Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Fatal Frame Maiden Of Black Water
The Wonderful 101
Yoshi's Woolly World

Going to leave out shit like Devil's Turd.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7075 on: November 14, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
imagine thinking captain todd, nes remix, tokyo mirage, hyrule warriors, wonderful 101 and more are worth this ->  :holeup

like really stupid lmao
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7076 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
Devil's Third is a great game to Youtube. ;)
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #7077 on: November 14, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »
MiiVerse  :jeb

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7078 on: November 14, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
Groove Coaster: Wai Wai Party!!!! is out on the NA eshop.

©@©™

james

« Reply #7079 on: November 14, 2019, 01:08:16 PM »
Wii U had a great lineup.

The worst part about the Switch is the missed potential. Imagine if on top of the billion Wii U ports, they actually had taken the time to make new games too.

I feel like in 3 years Nintendo had developed like 3 full original games. Odyssey, Luigis Mansion 3, and some weebo shit I ignore.

Mario Party was an enormous disappointment that looks like it was developed in 3 weeks, as was Mario tennis.

Everything else has been a port or a .5

WTF do Nintendo developers do all day?