Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 947054 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10560 on: July 13, 2021, 03:09:52 PM »
Can't believe I'm going to be forced to play Metroid 5 in handheld mode just so I can use my earbuds without spending another $50-$100 for wireless buds and distinguished mentally-challenged dongle that sticks out the side of the dock.   >:(

Plug the headphones into the Switch while docked...?
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10561 on: July 13, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
Can't believe I'm going to be forced to play Metroid 5 in handheld mode just so I can use my earbuds without spending another $50-$100 for wireless buds and distinguished mentally-challenged dongle that sticks out the side of the dock.   >:(

Plug the headphones into the Switch while docked...?
Ok...  :-[ well now I feel like a goon... I always had it in my head the jack is on the bottom of the unit and inaccessible.  :snoop 
And I tried it and it does work that way, so that should save me some money on buying just an extension cord for my earbuds.  Gonna be super awkward though, just like trying to play Metroid Prime Trilogy on the WiiU with earbuds, ...but at least it works.  :doge
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just goes to show I spend zero time with this thing.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:35:45 PM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10562 on: July 14, 2021, 05:11:32 AM »
Someone fixed the JoyCon drift and you can too

🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10563 on: July 14, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »
Apparently SS will now have free camera control.  It made TP and WW so much more tolerable... However, it seems it's going to interfere with the button controls.   Button controls will still require the camera lock with the left bumper... shoulder... whatever you want to call it.  Guess it is what it is.  But at least they put the option in there.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10564 on: July 14, 2021, 10:05:51 AM »
MMaRsu obliterated :dead

Cmon the Doc is hardly a 'Youtuber' but ok

What

Svejk

« Reply #10565 on: July 15, 2021, 08:18:03 AM »
Seems they didn't scale back on the tediousness of certain parts of SS. You still have to collect the same amount of those damn tears and musical notes.  :foxx

But still, it's getting great reviews (no surprise)... And BOTW stans that haven't played it can recognize what actual good Zelda music is.  Fight me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:22:06 AM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10566 on: July 15, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »
The music is one of if not the best part of the game.

The rest is very uneven, it has nice sections like the Sand Sea but it never feels like a connected world like the other Zelda games do.
I've ordered it just because I'm curious to see how it holds up after all this time.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10567 on: July 15, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »
 :rejoice

Svejk

« Reply #10568 on: July 15, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
The music is one of if not the best part of the game.

The rest is very uneven, it has nice sections like the Sand Sea but it never feels like a connected world like the other Zelda games do.
I've ordered it just because I'm curious to see how it holds up after all this time.
I agree.  Granted it has some of the best (actual) dungeons, there's still a lot that falters too. The collect-a-thon quests shoe horned into the main story suck.  It's definitely not the best 3D Zelda, but more times, it's good...  And the good parts really shine.  I did play through it twice on Wii and that was enough.  I should be getting this tomorrow though because my kids will likely play through it.  I'm also curious about the button controls. 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10569 on: July 15, 2021, 01:17:20 PM »
I'll buy it for $40 on a sale, I'm cheap

:larry
yar

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #10570 on: July 15, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
And BOTW stans that haven't played it can recognize what actual good Zelda music is.  Fight me.
The Skyward Sword OST is god-tier. Not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10571 on: July 15, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »
Started playing Skyward Sword HD- I didn't really get this feeling from Super Mario Galaxy on Switch, but this game really looks like it's been lazily up-rezzed and filtered- and I know it has been, it just doesn't feel like a lot was done here- weird when Mario had less done to it. 

Maybe it's just me and Galaxy scales up better with its visual style.  It does look clean, but I can see things like texture seams on the ground.  Was stuff like that in the original version?

Also seems kind of clunky with the pro controller.   
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #10572 on: July 15, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »
But still, it's getting great reviews (no surprise)... And BOTW stans that haven't played it can recognize what actual good Zelda music is.  Fight me.

Low 80s. Without those few QOL features, it would be in the 70s. :goldberg Sounds about right.

Svejk

« Reply #10573 on: July 15, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
Started playing Skyward Sword HD- I didn't really get this feeling from Super Mario Galaxy on Switch, but this game really looks like it's been lazily up-rezzed and filtered- and I know it has been, it just doesn't feel like a lot was done here- weird when Mario had less done to it. 

Maybe it's just me and Galaxy scales up better with its visual style.  It does look clean, but I can see things like texture seams on the ground.  Was stuff like that in the original version?

Also seems kind of clunky with the pro controller.
Good question... the original was so jaggy and muddy, you couldn't tell. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10575 on: July 15, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Old Model / Oled Model

That's cruel  :lol
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #10576 on: July 15, 2021, 05:17:39 PM »
Old Model / Oled Model

That's crul  :lol

fixed.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10577 on: July 15, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
Nocturne was on sale for 34 bucks, so I bit because i'm an idiot who spends too much money on PS2 games

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10579 on: July 19, 2021, 06:27:20 AM »
I like how the oled model is already sold out everywhere here in the Netherlands. Kinda wanted to get one for my birthday, guess not.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10581 on: July 19, 2021, 03:03:18 PM »
The good news, with that statement the Switch Pro rumors have finally been silenced for a day

The bad news

https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/1417190767681019904
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10582 on: July 19, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
The digi version of Panzer Dragoon is on sale for $6.24!   :rejoice 

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10583 on: July 19, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »
The good news, with that statement the Switch Pro rumors have finally been silenced for a day

The bad news

https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/1417190767681019904

tried replaying metroid prime on my gc a little while ago... i really need an upscaler or something for that shit but $$$. looked sooooo bad through the old av cable connection. really should just sell my gc and games and just hold onto a wavebird and some wired controllers. gotta play prime with the gc pads. switch pro/joycons  :nope
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10584 on: July 20, 2021, 04:52:29 AM »
Bought a switch lol. Didn't want to wait a few months to pay more for a new model.

First new handheld I've bought since a PSP in 2007. Played some Tetris.

Fuck the games are expensive on this thing. Guess I'm used to being spoiled by gamepass. I bought a year of the online thing. Is breath of Fire 2 worth playing? It's what jumped out at me from the SNES library

Might shell out for Monster Boy cos I haven't played it yet. Will get Xenoblade and Fire Emblem in due course. Gonna borrow Zeruda game card off a friend who wasted money on that dreck

archnemesis

« Reply #10585 on: July 20, 2021, 05:25:14 AM »
Fuck the games are expensive on this thing.
It varies. First-party games are expensive. Others can be picked up for cheap from sales. https://www.dekudeals.com/ is better than using the official webpage. I've picked up loads of older games for next to nothing and it's nice to have them available on a handheld system. You also get a small kickback (5%) from purchasing games digitally.

Is breath of Fire 2 worth playing? It's what jumped out at me from the SNES library
Yes, it's an interesting game. The Retronauts podcast recently had an episode about it.

Might shell out for Monster Boy cos I haven't played it yet. Will get Xenoblade and Fire Emblem in due course. Gonna borrow Zeruda game card off a friend who wasted money on that dreck
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is excellent. I haven't played Dragon's Trap yet.

Fire Emblem is always fun. The latest game took a bit too much inspiration from Persona for my taste. I'd prefer a game with less talking and more strategic combat. The translation of the old NES game is also good.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10586 on: July 20, 2021, 06:00:46 AM »
Awesome appreciate your comments, I'll check out Deku deals. I really dgaf about first party stuff I just wanna play some Jrpgs lying on the couch by the fire

Svejk

« Reply #10587 on: July 20, 2021, 06:57:59 AM »
I second Monster Boy.  Game is incredible.  Dragon's Trap is a treasured classic too, although somewhat dated in the gameplay department.  Definitely worthy to get on the cheap.
Yeah, trying to get older, new copies of 1st party games is a damn joke.  It's either try and find used, get digitally or pay scalper prices.  Even Hyrule Warriors DE is at least $70. 
Thanks for that dekudeals link too, archnemesis.  :)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10588 on: July 20, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10589 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Monster Boy is pretty fun but it's much more of a puzzler than the rest of the series... in fact, almost to the point where it becomes tiresome. However, there are some ingenious level designs (especially how interconnected everything in the ghost house is) and plenty of spots where you're like "holy shit, I can't believe that worked...". The volcano area is super complicated and frustrating though.

BOF2 I cannot really recommend. I finally played this for the first time last year and it's a slow, grindy game (especially at the beginning and end), filled with tons of random encounters and dated design decisions. The battle artwork is incredible, music is OK if you like Capcom SNES music, and translation is legendary for how abysmal it is. It gets points for being a pioneer in the "church is bad" plotline department. Probably the weakest in the franchise for me (though I'm one of the very few people who actually liked Dragon Quarter :P)
^_^

archnemesis

« Reply #10590 on: July 21, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »
Old RPGs in general are good candidates for emulation. There are translation improvements for BOF2 and you can frame skip your way past the tedious parts.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #10591 on: July 22, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »
Pretty deep into post-game for Monster Hunter Stories 2, still enjoyable but the end game is pretty grindy obviously. I'm glad we get a few months of support, I'm down for a Kulve Taroth fight.

Riding around on and destroying monsters with Nergigante doesn't really get old TBH.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10592 on: July 22, 2021, 06:40:19 PM »

:preach
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10593 on: July 22, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:preach
Oh man, that solves one of my biggest frustrations with exploration-type games. Having to constantly pause to see where I am in the map.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #10594 on: July 23, 2021, 05:42:08 AM »
Pokemon Unite is pretty fucking fun, and you don't even need the online pass to play it

:pika

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10595 on: July 24, 2021, 04:26:18 AM »
Bought Xenoblade 1 cos I never played it on Wii and it's supposed to be great. Looking forward to getting into it

Let's Cyber

« Reply #10596 on: July 24, 2021, 12:11:19 PM »
It has a slow start but stick with it.

Svejk

« Reply #10597 on: July 24, 2021, 12:16:40 PM »
Bought Xenoblade 1 cos I never played it on Wii and it's supposed to be great. Looking forward to getting into it
The last great Xeno game.. coming 2nd only to Xenogears, imo.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10598 on: July 24, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »

Yeah that shit was $90NZ on the eshop so I'm gonna be getting my money's worth lol

I'm also keen on a Metroidvania that isn't on gamepass. Is Axiom Verge worth playing?

Svejk

« Reply #10599 on: July 26, 2021, 12:56:21 PM »
How has Capcom not ported Strider 2014 to this piece piece?  By far the most underrated metroidvania to date.  Game is so fucking good. :lawd

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10600 on: July 26, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
I'm still surprised they never ported Persona 4 over when they dropped it on steam. Talk about leaving money on the table :mindblown
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10601 on: July 26, 2021, 03:12:32 PM »
How has Capcom not ported Strider 2014 to this piece piece?  By far the most underrated metroidvania to date.  Game is so fucking good. :lawd

The good news is that in a couple months everyone can get tired of me saying "just buy a steam deck!" when someone says that about like, any game
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10602 on: July 26, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
Nintendo fixed the drift and you can too

https://twitter.com/Mario_RPG_Fan/status/1419557321601134594
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10603 on: July 26, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »

Yeah that shit was $90NZ on the eshop so I'm gonna be getting my money's worth lol

I'm also keen on a Metroidvania that isn't on gamepass. Is Axiom Verge worth playing?

oh damn, you paid for the digital version lol. imo, carts are the way to go with switch. save yourself $20 out the gate and easy to resell
◕‿◕

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10604 on: July 26, 2021, 08:14:44 PM »
Nintendo fixed the drift and you can too

https://twitter.com/Mario_RPG_Fan/status/1419557321601134594

Damn, does this mean I gotta actually open my Zelda joycons now?

paprikastaude

« Reply #10605 on: July 27, 2021, 08:00:12 AM »
Fake news, this has been in several old, drifting controller already.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10607 on: July 27, 2021, 03:51:52 PM »
Ayeet Nintenders... BOTW is currently $43 everywhere atm.  Is this about as cheap as it's gonna get?  Or should I wait to see if they reveal an edition with all the dlc during the Zelda Anniversary (or has that been released already) for cheaper??

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10608 on: July 27, 2021, 05:34:50 PM »
Ayeet Nintenders... BOTW is currently $43 everywhere atm.  Is this about as cheap as it's gonna get?  Or should I wait to see if they reveal an edition with all the dlc during the Zelda Anniversary (or has that been released already) for cheaper??
That's as cheap as it is going to get.

Once BOTW2 comes into view it'll only get more expensive.
You might find a used copy cheaper though.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10609 on: July 27, 2021, 06:08:10 PM »
That's as cheap as it is going to get.

Once BOTW2 comes into view it'll only get more expensive.
You might find a used copy cheaper though.
Word.  Yeah, good call.  I think I'll grab it now while I can.  Preash!

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10610 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »
Just got the new Ace Attorney. Finished the original trilogy last year (and gave the second trilogy a miss) so I'm enjoying the shit out of this

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10611 on: July 27, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »
Just got the new Ace Attorney. Finished the original trilogy last year (and gave the second trilogy a miss) so I'm enjoying the shit out of this

Haven't played one since 4.  Looking forward to it!
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10612 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:03 PM »
Character designs and animation looked so good, that I also had to jump on the new Ace Attorny. Haven't played one since dabbling with the DS version of 1.

Bebpo

« Reply #10613 on: July 27, 2021, 09:11:26 PM »
I still haven’t played AA4 so not in a rush but glad Chronicles is preserved and will be cheap on Steam when I get to it eventually.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10614 on: July 27, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #10615 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:08 PM »
AA4 isn't great either way.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

« Reply #10617 on: July 27, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »
Anyone got the new TWEWY? I played the first 5 days so far. It's sooooo good.

Bebpo

« Reply #10618 on: July 28, 2021, 02:04:50 AM »
AA4 isn't great either way.

Which is why I haven't played it!

But also why it's a roadblock to my motivation to play the period piece ones...

Was there also an AA5 & AA6? I don't remember.