Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933877 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10920 on: October 16, 2021, 01:10:32 AM »
If you know anyone on a Family Plan its probably worth hitching a ride that way. $10/yr ($80 - 10 per person) is much cheaper than $50/yr
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10921 on: October 16, 2021, 04:18:48 AM »
It's only the US that has such a huge price rise. The EU/RoW is only double the price...not that it's really even worth that tbh.
Spud

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10922 on: October 17, 2021, 10:38:44 PM »
If you know anyone on a Family Plan its probably worth hitching a ride that way. $10/yr ($80 - 10 per person) is much cheaper than $50/yr

Seems like the Bore should start an official family plan thread to partner people up

Im on my exes plan for free until she notices, but when she does, Im interested
:O

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #10923 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:17 AM »
It's only the US that has such a huge price rise. The EU/RoW is only double the price...not that it's really even worth that tbh.

I'm happy with AU$30 for cloud saves and the other content. $60 for some roms and some cosmetic Animal Crossing DLC is a step to far though.
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10924 on: October 18, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10925 on: October 20, 2021, 03:10:15 AM »

I'm happy with AU$30 for cloud saves and the other content. $60 for some roms and some cosmetic Animal Crossing DLC is a step to far though.
Unfortunately, my kids are super excited about the animal crossing DLC so it looks like I will be stumping up for the full fat family plan
Spud

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #10926 on: October 20, 2021, 04:38:44 AM »
FROGGY CHAIR!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10928 on: October 22, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
Meanwhile, here’s a super overpriced up-charge for more of our shitty online service.

Fucking Nintendo.   :rage

Svejk

« Reply #10929 on: October 22, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »

Unfortunately, my kids are super excited about the animal crossing DLC so it looks like I will be stumping up for the full fat family plan
Sounds like where I'm headed too.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10930 on: October 22, 2021, 12:38:56 PM »
So Nintendo is selling Animal Crossing DLC for $50 dollaroos a year to kiddo's while their dads can cry thinking about all the missed opportunities in college while playing N64 roms.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10931 on: October 22, 2021, 03:14:36 PM »
With OoT and MM being dumped as sloppy 23rds again for this service, guess there's no reason for them to release the 3DS versions as any sort of "All Star" bundle when the Zelda Anniversary hits?  :-\  Also ruling out any rumors on a OoT remake?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10932 on: October 22, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
With OoT and MM being dumped as sloppy 23rds again for this service, guess there's no reason for them to release the 3DS versions as any sort of "All Star" bundle when the Zelda Anniversary hits?  :-\  Also ruling out any rumors on a OoT remake?
It's Nintendo and they just dropped a Metroid Fusion sequel after 2 decades, literally anything can happen at this point.
Still Aonuma made it clear that apart from Skyward Sword HD there weren't any other Zelda Anniversary products planned.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #10933 on: October 22, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »
Got the OLED, looks a bit better colors but otherwise pretty much same. Aria of Sorrow actually looks worse for some reason at pixel-perfect screen ratio. Looks more blurry but might just be something with how the colors work.

When I went to redownload everything (which btw is fucking bullshit you can't just put in a microSD and log into the same account they are tied to and have them work) the internet loading the pages was ungodly slow. Not sure if the wifi is somehow worse on this one or just switch online caching is fucking terrible.

Anyhow, it's a working switch and that's about all I needed, so it's fine. Gonna grab Metroid and SMTV and take it with me on a trip next month.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10934 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:41 PM »
So Nintendo is selling Animal Crossing DLC for $50 dollaroos a year to kiddo's while their dads can cry thinking about all the missed opportunities in college while playing N64 roms.
You just described me to a tee... :goty2
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10935 on: October 22, 2021, 09:35:31 PM »
It's Nintendo and they just dropped a Metroid Fusion sequel after 2 decades, literally anything can happen at this point.
Still Aonuma made it clear that apart from Skyward Sword HD there weren't any other Zelda Anniversary products planned.

You would think they'd release a collection with the 3DS OOT, MM, and A Link Between Worlds, but nope.  I just want the latter on Switch.  :'(

Got the OLED, looks a bit better colors but otherwise pretty much same. Aria of Sorrow actually looks worse for some reason at pixel-perfect screen ratio. Looks more blurry but might just be something with how the colors work.

When I went to redownload everything (which btw is fucking bullshit you can't just put in a microSD and log into the same account they are tied to and have them work) the internet loading the pages was ungodly slow. Not sure if the wifi is somehow worse on this one or just switch online caching is fucking terrible.

Anyhow, it's a working switch and that's about all I needed, so it's fine. Gonna grab Metroid and SMTV and take it with me on a trip next month.

Everything looks better on the OLED- check those Vania settings.   :P

And yeah, not being able to just pop in an SD card and authorize everything sucks.  The wifi isn't any worse, but I'd be plugging a cable into the dock to redownload everything.
ど助平

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #10937 on: October 23, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »

And yeah, not being able to just pop in an SD card and authorize everything sucks.  The wifi isn't any worse, but I'd be plugging a cable into the dock to redownload everything.

I never knew the dock had wired ethernet port  :lol
Been using wifi this whole time with Switch!

Other things I noticed with the OLED is for some reason the screen feels larger? Wat. I got the white OLED so maybe it's a color thing.

The dock is weird compared to my old Switch. When I drop it into the dock it doesn't trigger going to the TV/charging half the time because the dock space is wider. If it's not at the exact spot in the space it doesn't trigger the connect. Whereas my old Switch was a tigher gap and it always instantly triggered.

I still wonder if there's a trick to keeping the switch in a position in the dock that doesn't fill it with dust? The vent opening on the top just sits there and I'm pretty sure that's why my old Switch sounds like a lawnmower because dust gets in there and into the fans. Having the vent on top just seems like poor design for the dock where it sits most of the time.

Bebpo

« Reply #10938 on: October 23, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
So I was thinking about opening up my old Switch now and canned air spraying the fans to hopefully fix the sound and then replacing the left joycon that drifts so I could resell it.

But then I look and Nintendo ONLY SELLS THE RIGHT JOYCON FOR GREY UNITS SEPERATELY

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/#accessories

:mindblown

It's my left grey joycon that drifts. This is fucking bullshit! So instead of $40 I'd have to buy a new pair for $80. Blehhh. Will not bother and just closet this for a while I guess.

Fifstar

« Reply #10939 on: October 23, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »

Other things I noticed with the OLED is for some reason the screen feels larger? Wat. I got the white OLED so maybe it's a color thing.

The screen is larger, 7 Inches vs. 6.2. The bezel is smaller on the OLED.
Gulp

Quaker

« Reply #10940 on: October 23, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »
So I was thinking about opening up my old Switch now and canned air spraying the fans to hopefully fix the sound and then replacing the left joycon that drifts so I could resell it.

But then I look and Nintendo ONLY SELLS THE RIGHT JOYCON FOR GREY UNITS SEPERATELY

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/#accessories

:mindblown

It's my left grey joycon that drifts. This is fucking bullshit! So instead of $40 I'd have to buy a new pair for $80. Blehhh. Will not bother and just closet this for a while I guess.
GameStop is giving like $220 cash for the original Switch. Even if it was store credit you could use it to buy Xbox/PSN/Nintendo points cards.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15342535-gamestop-pro-members-trade-in-nintendo-switch-for-220-cash?src=catpagev2

Bebpo

« Reply #10941 on: October 23, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »

The screen is larger, 7 Inches vs. 6.2. The bezel is smaller on the OLED.

This actually probably explains why 160p GBA Castlevania may look a little worse. It's being upscaled to an even larger screen.

Svejk

« Reply #10942 on: October 24, 2021, 06:58:55 PM »
Is $43 US for a new Xenoblade Chronicles: DE (physical) about as cheap as it'll be? 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10943 on: October 24, 2021, 07:11:23 PM »
Is $43 US for a new Xenoblade Chronicles: DE (physical) about as cheap as it'll be?
I would guess so, it's definitely worth it though. I loved replaying and finally completing it a decade after the original release.
Probably one of the best remasters out there.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10944 on: October 24, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »
I would guess so, it's definitely worth it though. I loved replaying and finally completing it a decade after the original release.
Probably one of the best remasters out there.
Kinda where I'm at.. Started it twice (Wii and Android emu), but never can get a good stride to complete.  Was hoping this would get me to; the quality and convenience of it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10945 on: October 25, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
Yeah, I did the same thing. Started it on Dolphin and then again on Wii when the US version was released, then finally beat it for the first time on the Switch.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10946 on: October 26, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »
Nintendo didnt emulate a memory card for n64 so you literally cannot save your game in winback or time trials in mario kart

You cannot remap controls

Online is bad

Input lag

Genesis seems aight tho
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10948 on: October 26, 2021, 06:44:11 AM »
Does the N64 utilize the rewind feature?

archnemesis

« Reply #10949 on: October 26, 2021, 07:28:24 AM »
Does the N64 utilize the rewind feature?
No, but it does support save states.

I was looking forward to playing Sin and Punishment, but apparently it has input lag issues. I'll probably stick to the Mega Drive games while I wait for Shin Megami Tensei V.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10950 on: October 26, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »
Help me yall, I just bought Mrs. Nuff a Switch Lite to wean her off those garbage F2P match 3 phone games.

Mrs. Nuff loves slow paced puzzle games that don't have time limits, and bodyslamming people. What games do I get her?!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10951 on: October 26, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
Help me yall, I just bought Mrs. Nuff a Switch Lite to wean her off those garbage F2P match 3 phone games.

Mrs. Nuff loves slow paced puzzle games that don't have time limits, and bodyslamming people. What games do I get her?!

Crossniq+ and Tetris Effect Connected are worth checking out, although Crossniq is time-based.  Tetris Effect has some endless marathon mode options.  Don't know if there's any decent wrasslin' games on Switch, but if she just wants to beat up baddies, there's Fight'N Rage and Streets Of Rage 4!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:35:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10952 on: October 26, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10953 on: October 26, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »

Baba Is You

Sega Picross

fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10954 on: October 26, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/kirbolotl/status/1452820223845830660

:titus
Very cinematic and artsy

Seems like Nintendo has given up on their high QA standards in general. None of their games this year were as polished as say Tales of Arise.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10955 on: October 26, 2021, 11:21:02 AM »

Murder By Numbers

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ring Fit Adventure :rodney
[close]
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10956 on: October 26, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
skyward sword  :)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #10957 on: October 26, 2021, 01:57:17 PM »
It's only the 5th time they sell you those games, give them a break, I'm sure the Switch Pro will run them fine.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10958 on: October 26, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/MutantAura/status/1452814017404276746

It's like taking the Mona Lisa and taking a big dump on it.  :doge
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10959 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Is this also part of Zelda's 35th Anniversary?

Quaker

« Reply #10960 on: October 26, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/MutantAura/status/1452814017404276746

It's like taking the Mona Lisa and taking a big dump on it.  :doge
Reading the Twitter replies, the dude is a speedrunner and testing out a known glitch/exploit so I wouldn't really say that's indicative of how the game actually runs for most people.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #10961 on: October 26, 2021, 07:00:33 PM »

:girlaff

Can you all stop buying Nintendo stuff already so Apple can buy them up?

paprikastaude

« Reply #10962 on: October 26, 2021, 08:22:26 PM »
Literally Silent Hill HD collection-tier :goldberg But unlike Konami, Nintendo was successful at building a freak show of an userbase, that's gonna defend the hell out of this anyway.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:33:30 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #10963 on: October 26, 2021, 10:22:57 PM »
Every few years I keep forgetting that Nintendo is a terrible fucking company because they make a good game here and there and NOSTALGIA

Then I remember oh yeah, they fucking suck  :maf

When can we get a well-emulated Saturn/Dreamcast/N64/PS1/Xbox 1 collection/mini-console? Why is everything post 16-bit so hard for these companies to get right wtf

Also there's a new Pikmin and it's a mobile game or something. Fuck Nintendo

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10964 on: October 26, 2021, 10:32:34 PM »
breh, just emulate that shit damn. the emu's have worked well on a toaster for years, and have better features than anything they'll ever release. creating a separate piece of hardware for emulating 3d era consoles just seems dumb imo

that said we must consoom
◕‿◕

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #10965 on: October 27, 2021, 12:22:38 AM »
The saturn one I'm down with because 1.) nice controller and 2.) weird ass library where I honestly have no idea what the must plays are.

I would be down with the 64 one, but maybe just better to buy the usb controller and just play on emu. the 64 itself runs like shit anyway so emu is way ahead of reality.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10966 on: October 27, 2021, 12:35:24 AM »
When can we get a well-emulated Saturn/Dreamcast/N64/PS1/Xbox 1 collection/mini-console? Why is everything post 16-bit so hard for these companies to get right wtf

iirc they got N64 right on Wii Virtual Console day1. Then it's gotten worse each generation, like so many of their features.  :doge

Remember when Nintendo DS had built-in voice chat?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:50:37 AM by Spieler1 »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10967 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:40 AM »

Levels+
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #10968 on: October 27, 2021, 07:43:39 AM »
Playing Ver. 1 OoT on Project 64 w/ true wide screen support.  :lawd 
:'(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10969 on: October 27, 2021, 09:06:36 AM »

Dude, did you just admit to a crime?
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #10970 on: October 27, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »

Dude, did you just admit to a crime?
Wouldn't be the first time.  :joker

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10971 on: October 27, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »

Get a Raspberry Pi 4, mini 'media' PC or PC stick, or one of the numerous handheld emulation consoles out there.

Or for the latter to be included, get an Xbox Series S or X and purchase developer tools to use emulators.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10972 on: October 29, 2021, 02:27:19 AM »
Got Mario Party Superstars. Old Mario Party is best Mario Party.
Spud

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10973 on: October 30, 2021, 12:47:13 AM »
The saturn one I'm down with because 1.) nice controller and 2.) weird ass library where I honestly have no idea what the must plays are.

true. i mean, all the stuff that isn't on other systems are relatively obscure japanese games that only have fan translations, and the 3d stuff that looks interesting like burning rangers is not something i wish to subject myself tooo (non analogue 3d action)

retro-bit have a bt saturn controller you can pick up for $30

could be keen on it depending on emulation quality and library. always wanted to play hyper duel (thunderforce devs) and dragon force. i have also never played a panzer dragoon game.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:56:51 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10974 on: November 02, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »
Civ 6 for $9 digital code (300 gold coins on eShop)

https://amzn.to/3pWGMix
fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10975 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »
Nice, thanks!

Bebpo

« Reply #10976 on: November 04, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »
Skimmed some of the SMTV reviews. Seems like good gameplay, weak story.
Which sounds a lot like SMTIV. I can't remember a single character or anything plot-wise from that game after the fantastic opening.

Should be good enough, but shame it seems like they can't pull off another Nocturne.

Fwiw, I did like the more story-driven SMTIV Apocalypse, but I am also ok with some anime in my SMT.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10977 on: November 04, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
I liked the story in SMT4 (Chaos route iirc). :idont Absolutely loath the story in Apocalypse though, which I fear is closer to what we'll get from Atlus here on out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:18:14 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10978 on: November 04, 2021, 06:21:33 PM »
SMT4A was great, excited to pick this one up
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10979 on: November 08, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
Oh yeah it's SMT5 time baby, let's do this shit. Sho Nuff don't pay retail for shit day one unless it involves DEMON SUMMONING  :preach

Uhhh so I don't know WTF the situation is here in terms of dual language, I'd like to pick up a physical copy here in Japan but I can't find anything saying if the game is a universal ROM this time around with all the voices/languages included?