Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5390018 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| New WH Comm Director: Frank Lee Power
« Reply #8280 on: August 15, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
Can you guys please focus on the important issues: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-08-15/democrats-fret-as-clinton-book-rollout-looms
Associates hoped Clinton would also find a way to make a different contribution, perhaps as a university president or foundation head. There have even been suggestions that she move overseas for a couple of years.

Although I think this "news story" is assuming a lot of things like the premise here:
Clinton has promised to “let my guard down” in the book, “What Happened,” explaining her shocking loss to Trump in November.
What Happened could instead explain how she killed Seth Rich.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8281 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
I don't think the why of why a State chooses to secede should have any bearing on their legal or constitutional ability to do so or not. Libertarians who argue the States could not secede usually go with the "they were doing it to maintain slavery" argument as undermining the legitimacy of it. I think there's a way to read a Constitutional provision to it, especially since I consider slavery to have already been against the Constitution even prior to the 13th Amendment, in the requirement of the Federal government to uphold a Republican form of government in the States. States where 80+% of the population are not eligible to elect the legislature significantly weakens that legislatures claim on having democratic authority to secede.

I think you momentarily forgot I was nuts. It happens to the best of us.
Besides being cute, what's the benefit of ostensibly textualist contortions over just going with "chattel slavery is bad"?

benjipwns

« Reply #8282 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
Central Park Five, birtherism, etc. is all fine and dandy. But I see a lot of commentary running to those incidents that seem to be totally ignoring that whole xenophobic campaign against foreigners of all types he's been running for decades. He talks about Chinese people as a monolith, as he did Japan prior. He kicked off his campaign by explaining how some Mexicans are not rapists or murderers. He's been been blasting immigration forever....and speaking of Nazi's that reminds me.

I wonder if he's apologized to Pat Buchanan for calling him a Nazi for having essentially the same platform he reused 16 years later in his own Presidential bid.

Besides being cute, what's the benefit of ostensibly textualist contortions over just going with "chattel slavery is bad"?
Because that's not a legal/constitutional argument?

benjipwns

« Reply #8283 on: August 15, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »

:lawd the goat :rejoice

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:37:46 PM by benjipwns »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #8286 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »

It's 2017, I'm not sure if wasting the time on a nuanced legal argument against keeping slaves is worth your time.
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #8287 on: August 15, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
It's 2017, I'm not sure if wasting the time on a nuanced legal argument against keeping slaves is worth your time.
Okay, this is getting all twisted. Nowhere was anyone in this thread (on this page anyway) making any kind of argument, legally based or merely morally based, for or against slavery.

I was replying to Jack's comment regarding the legality of secession and noting that libertarian circles have this argument at any chance they can regarding the civil war, lincoln, secession, etc. I was explaining that most of the libertarians who say secession was not legal in the case of the eventual Confederate States use "because it was for slavery" as an argument, which isn't a legal/constitutional one or a sustainable one that can be used in other hypotheticals like Jack used in my opinion, instead I think there's a stronger argument to be found in the Constitution's requirement for the federal government to maintain a Republican form of government in the States. (The majority view among libertarians is probably that any and all secession is constitutionally allowable including that of the eventual Confederate states.)

As I also stated above, in my view even prior to the 13th Amendment, slavery was not protected by the Constitution.

I usually don't participate in any libertarian debates anymore but I was mentioning it off of Jack's comment.

Steve Contra

« Reply #8288 on: August 15, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »
Okay, this is getting all twisted. Nowhere was anyone in this thread (on this page anyway) making any kind of argument, legally based or merely morally based, for or against slavery.

I was replying to Jack's comment regarding the legality of secession and noting that libertarian circles have this argument at any chance they can regarding the civil war, lincoln, secession, etc. I was explaining that most of the libertarians who say secession was not legal in the case of the eventual Confederate States use "because it was for slavery" as an argument, which isn't a legal/constitutional one or a sustainable one that can be used in other hypotheticals like Jack used in my opinion, instead I think there's a stronger argument to be found in the Constitution's requirement for the federal government to maintain a Republican form of government in the States. (The majority view among libertarians is probably that any and all secession is constitutionally allowable including that of the eventual Confederate states.)

As I also stated above, in my view even prior to the 13th Amendment, slavery was not protected by the Constitution.

I usually don't participate in any libertarian debates anymore but I was mentioning it off of Jack's comment.
Again 2017

vin

benjipwns

« Reply #8289 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »
Then why'd you ask about it coward?

It's so hard not to talk about how great I am at handing out L's to all the bitchmades on here.

benjipwns

« Reply #8290 on: August 15, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »
See if I pre-emptively call him a coward out of the blue then he has to respond or else he proves he is one. :rollsafe

Steve Contra

« Reply #8291 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
 :tocry
vin

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #8292 on: August 15, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with this guys face? What a fucking slob

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #8293 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

S U P E R I O R     G E N E T I C S
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #8294 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
the Presidency ages you quickly

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8295 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
The saddest Gorbachev.
https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/status/897520465845137409
https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/status/897520637622853632
https://twitter.com/carlbernstein/status/897520769248395265

welp
Ooh, could we actually be getting rid of this nazi scumfuck soon? :hyper They have to know he is most definitely not a positive for them going into the 2018 midterms.
Hi

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #8296 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #8297 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
edit: hearing that the Politico transcript could've screwed up.

Yeah, I had cnn on for a bit when they were playing the clips a bunch, and I never heard the "at us" that people are quoting.
MMA

Steve Contra

« Reply #8298 on: August 15, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
Am I reading it right that today's press conference was supposed to be about infrastructure?
vin

bluemax

« Reply #8299 on: August 15, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »

Is that blood on his collar?
NO

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Confederacy of Dunces
« Reply #8300 on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »
Bannon is rotting from the inside out, that's all

Bebpo

« Reply #8301 on: August 15, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Everyday he says something fucking horrible and more apparent is a good day since it turns more people against him and gets one step closer to him getting the boot.

In my idealistic best hope scenario is that GOP basically goes to the Dems and uses it as a bargaining chip in private, "we think he's nuts too and we'll get rid of him if you let us pass a few tax saves so we get richer; don't worry we don't want to touch that healthcare shit by a mile either", because GOP ain't gonna do nothing for free, but I could see the Dems appeasing them with some token financial things in exchange for not having a fucking racist nutcase on the nuclear trigger.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8302 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Bannon is rotting from the inside out, that's all

The dark magic holding his body together is finally beginning to fail.
dog

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8303 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
it's an onion pic, guys

/in before etiolate says how the left believes fake news too
AMC

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8304 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
I don't think that having a constitutionally based argument makes it stronger, cause 1) the decision whether to go to war in that scenario is always going to be based on the politics, with "legitimacy" coming from a victory (like all wars ever), and 2) if the "Constitutional" argument is as much of a reach as the one you described* then it feels like we're just backfilling to get to the desired conclusion anyways, so it can't really be that important.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*A reach in the sense that it's a reading that clearly none of the framers, or probably any federal officeholder up to that point in history shared, and which would void every state government at that time. I actually like the idea and think it's kind of clever (maybe someone could argue for felon voting rights based on that!), it's just a huge leap from the way everyone involved read the document.
[close]

Nola

« Reply #8305 on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »
it's an onion pic, guys

/in before etiolate says how the left believes fake news too

Pretty sure The Onion became real news sometime around January 20th. 

Trent Dole

Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #8308 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:39 AM »
after looking it up on one of those youtubes that just rips whole episodes of fox news shows and puts them on youtube until they get taken down the next day, hannity spends about 35 minutes of his show talking about how Trump has destroyed the left at their own game, then brings on two black guys to talk about how Trump is the strongest president in history (i didn't watch any of this just skipped ahead in the video until i saw Hillary but now i'm curious about the black guys), they finally get to this:

"HUGE DEVELOPMENT IN THE HILLARY CLINTON E-MAIL SCANDAL" - Hannity

and the story is:
State Department officials saying they have no idea when they will finish sorting though and releasing the previously hidden messages.
“At this time, we do not have an estimate for completion of processing all of these documents,” a State Department official told The Washington Times.
:doge

short version of all the legal jabbering they do* is that State is as slow as always and like any department handling the entire FOIA order, and for what it's worth, Gregg Jarrett (FOX NEWS CONTRIBUTOR AND LEGAL ANALYST) doesn't seem to actually understand how FOIA works or maybe not even what it is

after all this gibberish about how Loretta Lynch is probably going to jail now then Hannity essentially tells the actual guy who's behind the lawsuit and is trying to tell him about the discovery of documents they've done to shut up and rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 about how big this story is, the guy goes "i uh i 10!" as Hannity cuts him off again and goes "probably bigger, alright we'll continue covering this breaking story, straight ahead..."

*based on my familiarity working with FOIA on both sides of it

benjipwns

« Reply #8309 on: August 16, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »
found the segment with the black dudes:

had to :lol at the person labeling this video FULL ONE-ON-ONE EXPLOSIVE INTERVIEW when there's a whole nother dude right there

edit: at the end you also get Hannity teasing the Hillary thing WOW HUGE NEWS

agrajag

« Reply #8310 on: August 16, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
Wasn't Trump himself tweeting that Loretta Lynch is going to prison?  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #8311 on: August 16, 2017, 07:20:14 AM »
confused by the youths, don't worry, the grey lady to the rescue!
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/us/politics/alt-left-alt-right-glossary.html

Alt-Right

The “alt-right” is a racist, far-right movement based on an ideology of white nationalism and anti-Semitism. Many news organizations do not use the term, preferring terms like “white nationalism” and “far right.”

The movement’s self-professed goal is the creation of a white state and the destruction of “leftism,” which it calls “an ideology of death.” Richard B. Spencer, a leader in the movement, has described the movement as “identity politics for white people.”

It is also anti-immigrant, anti-feminist and opposed to homosexuality and gay and transgender rights. It is highly decentralized but has a wide online presence, where its ideology is spread via racist or sexist memes with a satirical edge.

It believes that higher education is “only appropriate for a cognitive elite” and that most citizens should be educated in trade schools or apprenticeships.
Alt-Left

Researchers who study extremist groups in the United States say there is no such thing as the “alt-left.”
Alt-Light

The “alt-light” comprises members of the far right who once fell under the “alt-right” umbrella but have since split from the group because, by and large, racism and anti-Semitism are not central to its far-right nationalist views, according to Ryan Lenz, the editor of Hatewatch, a publication of the Southern Poverty Law Center. Members of the alt-right mocked these dissidents as “the alt-light.”

“The alt-light is the alt-right without the racist overtones, but it is hard to differentiate it sometimes because you’re looking at people who sometimes dance between both camps,” he said.

The two groups often feud online over “the Jewish Question,” or whether Jews profit by secretly manipulating the government and the news media.
Antifa

“Antifa” is a contraction of the word “anti-fascist.” It was coined in Germany in the 1960s and 1970s by a network of groups that spread across Europe to confront right-wing extremists, according to Mr. Pitcavage. A similar movement emerged in the 1980s in the United States and has grown as the “alt-right” has risen to prominence.

For some so-called antifa members, the goal is to physically confront white supremacists. “If they can get at them, to assault them and engage in street fighting,” Mr. Pitcavage said. Mr. Lenz, at the Southern Poverty Law Center, called the group “an old left-wing extremist movement.”

Members of the “alt-right” broadly portray protesters who oppose them as “antifa,” or the “alt-left,” and say they bear some responsibility for any violence that ensues — a claim made by Mr. Trump on Tuesday.

But analysts said comparing antifa with neo-Nazi or white supremacist protesters was a false equivalence.

Quote from: The New York Times, the paper of record, the grey lady, the most cited modern newspaper in world history
Cuck

“Cuck” is an insult used by the “alt-right” to attack the masculinity of an opponent, originally other conservatives, whom the movement deemed insufficiently committed to racism and anti-Semitism.

It is short for “cuckold,” a word dating back to the Middle Ages that describes a man who knows his wife is sleeping with other men and does not object. Mr. Lenz said the use of the word by the “alt-right” often had racial overtones.
many more at the link

benjipwns

« Reply #8312 on: August 16, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
so remember, when making a list of the pros and cons of the "alt-right" it's:

pros:
1. had a presidential candidate issue a statement about a cartoon frog image
2. helped slow the rise of the oceans pewdiepie
3. more culturally liberal in general than the "regular right"
4. had the new york times publish "cuck" and a definition of it

cons:
1. everything else

benjipwns

« Reply #8313 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:07 AM »
relevant to earlier discussion (WARNING SITE IS A KNOWN PRO-TRUMP PRO-PUTIN RUSSIAN-INTELLIGENCE RUN PROPAGANDA FRONT): https://theintercept.com/2017/08/15/donald-trump-has-been-a-racist-all-his-life-and-he-isnt-going-to-change-after-charlottesville/
Over the next four decades, Trump burnished his reputation as a bigot: he was accused of ordering “all the black [employees] off the floor” of his Atlantic City casinos during his visits; claimed “laziness is a trait in blacks” and “not anything they can control”; requested Jews “in yarmulkes” replace his black accountants; told Bryan Gumbel that “a well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market”; demanded the death penalty for a group of black and Latino teenagers accused of raping a jogger in Central Park (and, despite their later exoneration with the use of DNA evidence, has continued to insist they are guilty); suggested a Native American tribe “don’t look like Indians to me”; mocked Chinese and Japanese trade negotiators by doing an impression of them in broken English; described undocumented Mexican immigrants as “rapists”; compared Syrian refugees to “snakes”; defended two supporters who assaulted a homeless Latino man as “very passionate” people “who love this country”; pledged to ban a quarter of humanity from entering the United States; proposed a database to track American Muslims that he himself refused to distinguish from the Nazi registration of German Jews; implied Jewish donors “want to control” politicians and are all sly negotiators; heaped praise on the “amazing reputation” of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has blamed America’s problems on a “Jewish mafia”; referred to a black supporter at a campaign rally as “my African-American”; suggested the grieving Muslim mother of a slain U.S. army officer “maybe … wasn’t allowed” to speak in public about her son; accused an American-born Hispanic judge of being “a Mexican”; retweeted anti-Semitic and anti-black memes, white supremacists, and even a quote from Benito Mussolini; kept a book of Hitler’s collected speeches next to his bed; declined to condemn both David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan; and spent five years leading a “birther” movement that was bent on smearing and delegitimizing the first black president of the United States, who Trump also accused of being the founder of ISIS.

del berton
August 15 2017, 8:50 p.m.
Yes and let this be an opportunity to remind Intercept readers that the Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald wasted thousands of words – he always writes long – to smear Hillary Clinton as the anti-Christ while giving a pass to Trump.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8314 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
cuck cuck cuck
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8315 on: August 16, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
Sure, Trump might have run a racist campaign, but isn't it basically subversion if that agenda is stymied by his own incompetence political opponents court rulings the civil service the Deep State?

*shines flashlight under face, makes scary noises*

agrajag

« Reply #8316 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
Alt-left shitstain Hannity trying to divert attention from the Seth Rich murder with these Hilary email false flags. You ain't going to fool me this time, Sneaky Hanny!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8317 on: August 16, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
3M and Campbell Soup have now bailed on Trump as well.
©@©™

FStop7

« Reply #8318 on: August 16, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
Considering their history with the Holocaust, IBM should have stayed the fuck away from Trump from the beginning.

All of these "great minds", these "irreplaceable" CEOs who are supposed to be such brilliant strategists and visionaries are all pulling a Captain Renault as they exclaim how shocked they are that there is gambling in this establishment.

Shit is such a farce.  They knew what Trump was and thought he'd either be controllable or that they could spin their way out of anything he said.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8319 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
And now everyone has quit because Trump just said fuck it and shut the whole thing down. #Winning

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897869174323728385
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8320 on: August 16, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
Yum Brands wasn't on the council, so the whole thing was illegitimate from the beginning IMO.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8321 on: August 16, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
And now everyone has quit because Trump just said fuck it and shut the whole thing down. #Winning

"You can't quit, because you're fired!"
dog

Nola

« Reply #8322 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »

YOU CAN'T DUMP ME I'M DUMPING YOU!!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8323 on: August 16, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
http://kotaku.com/pewdiepie-says-hes-going-to-stop-making-nazi-jokes-afte-1797904266

Trump has even lost Pewdiepie. The dominos are falling like a house of cards. Checkmate.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8324 on: August 16, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
Etoilet has been uncharacteristically quiet about Trump's outburst yesterday. It's almost eerie.

"Trump sold me that shitty wine? That's it, I'm out"

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #8325 on: August 16, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
Etoilet has been uncharacteristically quiet about Trump's outburst yesterday. It's almost eerie.

wait for the unified narrative
rub

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #8328 on: August 16, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
That was probably the first thing that dumbass ever protested or marched for, which is pretty telling.

"Not my Robert E. Lee Statues, that's where I draw the line!"

I'm sure Trump will save him though! He has a fantastic NEW coal job* all lined up.
jk there are no new coal jobs.

:trumps
[close]

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:06:41 PM by Let's Cyber »

Boredfrom

« Reply #8330 on: August 16, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
http://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/137766989#p137766989

:lol

Motherfucker, did the antisemite chants did not tip you off!? How much of the Kotaku In Action kool-aid did you drink to believe that free speech will protect you from be associated with Nazis?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #8331 on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
that was hilarious but also so fake. :doge
que

Trent Dole

« Reply #8332 on: August 16, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
We already knew etoilet was fucktarded but I guess further official confirmation is nice.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8333 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
Oh, by the way, here's what VIPS [the group behind this report] was up to a few years ago:

I asked three of the signatories about their sources. They proved curiously evasive. But one VIPS member, Philip Giraldi, has since published an article in The American Conservative—and the reason for their hesitation has become obvious. The sources for VIPS' most sensational claims, it turns out, are Canadian eccentric Michel Chossudovsky’s conspiracy site Global Research and far-right shock-jock Alex Jones’s Infowars. The specific article that Giraldi references carries the intriguing headline “Did the White House Help Plan the Syrian Chemical Attack?” (The answer, in case you wondered, is yes.) The author is one Yossef Bodansky—an Israeli-American supporter of Assad’s uncle Rifaat, who led the 1982 massacre in Hama. Bodansky’s theory was widely circulated after an endorsement from Rush Limbaugh. A whole paragraph from Bodansky’s article makes it into the VIPS letter intact, with only a flourish added at the end.

Giraldi references two more articles to substantiate his claim: one from Infowars and another from DailyKos. But both reference the same source, an obscure website called Mint Press which published an article claiming that Syrian rebels had accidentally set off a canister of Sarin supplied to them by the Saudis. The idea that an accident in one place would cause over a thousand deaths in 12 separate locations—with none affected in areas in between—somehow did not strike this intelligence veteran as implausible. But to its credit, Mint Press has since added a disclaimer: “Some information in this article could not be independently verified."

What of VIPS’s “numerous sources in the Middle East,” then? It turns out they're the same as Bodansky’s “numerous sources in the Middle East”—the sentence is plagiarized.

:thinking
dog

FStop7

« Reply #8334 on: August 16, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »
but seth rich

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #8335 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
"Republicans freeeeed the slaaaaaaaves"
rub

agrajag

« Reply #8336 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:51 PM »
Y'all just keep taking those L's.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8337 on: August 16, 2017, 11:33:47 PM »
http://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/137766989#p137766989

:lol

I like how they're telling him to lawyer up, when the story is (more than likely fake) and beyond which the employee that "put me on blast" would've been shitcanned as well, more than likely for creating a hostile workplace.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8338 on: August 16, 2017, 11:37:33 PM »
I like how they're telling him to lawyer up, when the story is (more than likely fake) and beyond which the employee that "put me on blast" would've been shitcanned as well, more than likely for creating a hostile workplace.

Also, he probably lives in an at-will employment state that conservatives love so much, so lulz at him thinking he can get his job back or sue over his termination.
dog

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8339 on: August 17, 2017, 02:20:11 AM »
"Republicans freeeeed the slaaaaaaaves"

And the Democrats killed the Nazis.