Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 213475 times)

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: FFXIV
« Reply #1800 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »
you tanked it? I haven't tried eden yet, will do maybe next weekend or maybe tonight, will be away all weekend lol.

I think most people agree the story ended pretty well and was overall a great expansion. The healer outfits are all clownshoes though.  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #1801 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
Yeah, my NIN is still 71 and WHM is 65. Did this whole expansion as tank and have sorta gotten the hang of it.

The tank outfits all sucked outside the dwarf set and job gear. I remember Stormblood having a lot of neat sets along the way. My lvl.65 WHM blue robe is pretty rad.

Bebpo

« Reply #1802 on: July 18, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
Also re: tanking, I've been able to go into everything blind and just figure it out and it's been ok. In non-savage/ex raids so far there hasn't been anything that requires 2 tanks (still haven't shirked once yet), so basically it's not bad because even if I die the other tank can handle it until I get ressed. Also DRK's The Blackest Night is ridiculously OP and useful because you can basically throw it up everytime the boss does a new attack and hey if you fuck up you still take 0 damage or barely anything because TBN absorbs it and the cooldown is like 10 secs. Combination of both things above makes DRK pretty easy to jump in blind and learn as you go.

And there's only been 1 attack so far that required cooldowns to survive. The final boss has an attack "dual strike" on the two tanks and unless you pop something you'll die even with full HP. This was fun popping cooldowns to survive. I'd like to see more really hard hitting tankbusters that will kill you without a cooldown. I use all my cooldowns and TBN but if a boss attack doesn't do more than 20% damage (like raid-wide attacks) not even worth wasting a cooldown on.

I do like popping my -10% all party magic damage cooldown because the refresh time isn't bad and might as well pop it and buff the group a bit for a hit or two since it lasts 15 seconds. I'd like to see DRK get a stronger all-party buff like -20% magic damage for 10 seconds because that's DRK's only utility party shield/ability and -10% and only on magic attacks isn't really noticeable.

Bebpo

« Reply #1803 on: July 18, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »
Man, people are pretty salty right now when there's no Savage for the salty serious people to go and do their runs at. Did the 2nd Eden raid and one of the healers went off on me and the other tank because when we were dead we lost aggro and the healer got targeted. Wasn't a big deal but healer was salty af, and this is only on first wipe! We cleared it the 2nd run pretty much no problem. Good raid battle, complexity is definitely there and some of the new mechanics

spoiler (click to show/hide)
time delayed stacks/spells/player blinds
[close]

were cool. I gotta imagine on Savage these raids are gonna be insane.
Also did the not-Twinning bonus dungeon. I really liked the first boss with the 2 sharks alternating. Thought that was really clever concept. Rest was pretty by the books.
Going into 3rd raid now...

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1804 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
Twinning not as bad as I thought once I realized lasers continue  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1805 on: July 19, 2019, 12:17:25 AM »
My game crashes whenever 200 people are on screen flying at an S rank hunt :( This is like the 3rd time it's happened.

Also, 3rd raid battle down. Was alright, kinda easy compared to the first two so a bit boring.
Also kinda a re-tread. Are we gonna fight a bunch more of kinda different primals? Hope not.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #1806 on: July 19, 2019, 01:21:08 AM »
Cleared the Eden raid. The battles are all fun but I definitely prefer the first two because

I want new cameos and exciting battles in Raids, not just fighting Alt-ARR primals in Alt-ARR Eorza /sigh
Titan was pretty funny though, especially riding his ATV lol
Graphics were a really nice improvement from their ARR counterparts for sure.

I wonder if Eden Prime should've been the 4th battle and not the first one. ATV Titan is kinda a weird final battle. Wonder how they'll change up Leviathon and Titan on Savage.

I'm also hoping that we'll just do alt-Ifrit to bring back fire and alt-Garuda to bring back wind and then call it a DAY and get back to original bosses for the remainder of the raid. Like if that's the case it would've worked better if like Tier 2 was just 4 alt-primal bosses and had it's own theme like how Omega tiers had FF5 theme and FF6 theme tiers.

Also I'm hoping for some FF8 cameos like I want the girl to be Edea or something.
[close]

Also did the Dark Knight job quest. These lvl.80 job quests are nowhere near the length of the old 4-5 quest stories. It was solid but it took about 10 mins and didn't have any battles/instances. It was also a weird closure quest for Dark Knight in a way that seems like it's saying "goodbye job quests". Will be very interesting to see what they do next expansion and whether there are no job quests at all past this point and all the lvl.80 job quests here are just wrapping things up for the job stories.

Pretty much done with everything DRK now, all that's left is bringing up my NIN/WHM and Gatherers/Crafters to 80, their role quests and then their scrip recipes/tome books/scrip gear. Plenty of time for all of that though since no more content outside Savage until September. Will take it slow now.

*edit* damn, just looked at my steam time, ~85 hours since started Shadowbringers. Lotta game. Good stuff though. Time to take it easy for a while.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:32:39 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #1807 on: July 19, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »
Reading up on Eden raid impressions online and some neat tidbits:

-Someone pointed out that the mystery knight from raid 2 uses time shifting magic in her attacks. So yeah, it’s gotta be Edea and the raid will probably go time travel at some point.

-There’s a theory that the savage version of the raid will be in reverse with Titan first and Eden Prime last (and then maybe a god Eden Prime phase) and that’ll just be chalked up to the minstrel being weird on the first. This would be cool if it happens.

-General consensus pretty much seems to be that 3 of the raids are cool & fun but Lev is a bit zzz since most of its mechanics are just Shinryu but easier. Wonder if they can mix it up enough in Savage to make it more interesting.
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1808 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
Playing a bit in FF Mongolia and I'm liking it. I like the idea of all the different tribes with totally different cultures and societies and stuff, curious how deep they will go with that. Also Lord Hien seems like a bro fo sho.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1809 on: July 19, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
Got my Monk and Gunbreaker to level 80. Working on Pally next. Dreading leveling my Astro because I loved the card mechanic. But that’s next followed by Samurai and Dragoon. Interested in trying Dancer, Warrior, and White Mage.

Still need to finish the story. Got to do the role quests. My feelings so far are that the story is good, but like all of XIV’s stuff I only care about the main plot. With ARR it was the stuff with Gaius, Hevansword it was the dragonsong War, Stormblood it was just Alg Mihigo, and with Shadow it’s the Ascians. When these stories take side tours and deal with small things in the world I lose interests. Shadow has been a bit better since the party this time feels well like an actual party. More so then the past expansions. Thracred feels like a real character and the subplot with Magnus actually was a good contrast with him. I’ve really liked the story so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #1810 on: July 19, 2019, 10:04:30 PM »
Yeah, I tried going on today and realized I'm gonna abandon my crafters. I started leveling them with leves and I've got the money to do that real quickly but sitting there grabbing a leve and turning it in and unlocking the 75-80 crafts with one class I just felt like this is tedious and pointless and why bother.

Even the gathering feels pretty pointless outside it bringing in gil through retainers. But gathering is easy enough to level just buy buying the HQ GC turn-ins each day (I'm already at 77 for all three) that I'll get them to 80 since it's like no effort. I make like 500k gil a day and buying those turn ins is like 100-150k gil max.

I did some of the gathering role quest and it's zzz, the crafting ones look expensive for zzz results. The Ishgard restoration stuff isn't out yet and Recipe Books VII aren't out yet.

Pretty much just felt over the whole crafting/gathering thing. I've felt at multiple times it was a big waste of like 500 hours of time getting them all maxed, but now going into an expansion with them at the lvl.70 full i350 blue gear, I'm just not motivated to do anything with them. Even gathering my own mats, making stuff is still a pain in the butt and needs a ton of mats and if I don't need to use the gear then it's just for selling and I have enough gil. I'm also pretty tired of making gil as ironic as that sounds. It's a pain in the ass every day to keep restocking my retainers because everything keeps selling -_-

I think I'm just gonna level my WHM & NIN and then call it a day. Cutting out the crafting/gathering stuff will make FF14 much less of a timesink than it is since once you have your battle classes to 80 there's nothing to do besides raid run once a week and fashion report fridays. Maybe I'll get them to 80 using beast tribe like I did mostly in Stormblood, but ehhhh, I think I'm out on crafting.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1811 on: July 20, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »
I haven’t decided on crafting either. I say I will wait in the beast tribes but we’ll see. I missed the entire Namazu arc as all were already leveled.  :'(

Hopefully beast tribe is in Aumarot but pretty sure will be lol Sahagin again.

Bebpo

« Reply #1812 on: July 20, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »
Yeah, fighting is definitely more fun than leveling crafters. Figure I can get 1 level WHM, 1 level NIN per day pretty quick. With NIN doing FATES to get the riding maps. When I beat the game I was like where do you get riding maps for Shadowbringers? And then I looked it up and saw you need 6 fates per area and most of mine were between 2-4 with one at rank 2 already.

Also did some hunt trains and that's pretty efficient for tomes since you get 20 instead of the usual 10 for A ranks since these tomes are gonna be outdated soon as everyone gears with Eden normal/savage stuff. Bought an i440 sword for my DRK just because I dunno if I'll do the Ex primals. Also all the crystals from A hunt trains are good money for a while.

Oh and got my frog mount this morning. The flying version is greaaaat.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1813 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
Frog mount?

Bebpo

« Reply #1814 on: July 21, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
It’s the Fate in Khoulia everyone screams about on the chat. Much better than Ixion in that it doesn’t need special triggers and pops all the time especially with 3 instances. You get gold cogs for a minion & mount.

Bebpo

« Reply #1815 on: July 21, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
Healer just about up to 68. Lakshmi was fun to heal. Pretty much all trials/raids are fun to heal.

Had my first real bad tank experience on lvl.67 dungeon. I kinda dread everytime I see Guntank as healer. So many people jumping into it because it looks cool even though they don't know how to tank. Dude was blitzing ahead at full speed picking up every single enemy while being undergeared. Like after a wipe he'd run so far ahead (because he'd die and respawn first) and start fighting the some GIANT pull with no healer and no dps anywhere near him and then he'd die in two seconds and wonder why. He'd just run sprint into every boss and pull before everyone was even in the boss area.

I didn't want to go off on him so the extent of my crankyness was "you can go a bit slower" after which he stopped sprinting every second and did one pull at a time and we were fine.

I also accidentally did a healer LB2 in the middle of the final boss battle when I hit the wrong button which was kind of funny. Don't even know what it did.

*edit* did a leveling queue and got another bad guntank, at least not as crazy/stupid bad as earlier. But they do have a tendency to pull at maximum 100% every enemy they can in one group, not be great about cooldowns, and love sprinting ahead of the rest of the party at all times so you have to constantly sprint to catch up. No deaths in this run but normally I don't cast regen on a tank until they've finished pulling all the enemies they are gonna pull since it can generate aggro and have the new enemies target me instead, but tanks like this aren't even going to survive until the end of pulling all enemies without some healing so I just say fuck it and regen them midway and then SPAM ALL REGENS/HEALS/HOLYS as fast as possible to keep them alive. It's kinda annoying they removed the 20% damage shield from lower levels. Basically tl;dr you can tell a lot of these guntanks have never tanked before and they don't seem to care, it's making me kinda weary to use dungeon queues for leveling my WHM.

Now I'm on board with every expansion being nothing but DPS jobs added.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:42:02 PM by Bebpo »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1816 on: July 21, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
Made it to 70, but I feel like I got plenty of MSQ left. Sad I'll have to finish my leveling without the megaboost earrings but I figure I'll make it to 80 pretty easily, maybe before Shadowbringers! Until I can spend my tomes on 70 gear I just spent some gil on 70 gear in Kugane and immediately got like +100 ilvl. :lol Not a massive fan of the look of the gear but it's okay with the headpiece off. It does fit with the look of a Dancer though.

[close]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:18:08 PM by nachobro »

Bebpo

« Reply #1817 on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
Wait. why would you level 70-80 without Shadowbringers? Also won't the Shadowbringers MSQ feel a bit boring if you're not getting any xp and it's just hours of talking to people/cutscenes questing between dungeons/trials?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1818 on: July 21, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Well I don't have much choice to keep getting XP as I go through Stormblood. :P Without the 30% buff to XP I don't think I'll actually hit 80 before Shadowbringers but it was pretty easy to hit 70 with the earring buff just from normal MSQ plus a few roulettes every day.

Bebpo

« Reply #1819 on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:31 PM »
Oh, you mean the story msq's left. Yeah it probably will take you a bit into 70s. I'd be surprised if you end up more than 72 from it. The XP jumps in Shadowbringers get even more exponential. Like lvl.70 in Stormblood is ~20 million xp, right? Lvl.80 is like 50+ million xp iirc.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1820 on: July 21, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
Damn that's some big jumps

Bebpo

« Reply #1821 on: July 21, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
Yeah, it's sort of why dungeons stop paying out as good in Shadowbringer dungeons. They're still only giving a like 3-5 million XP and that's just not much. The % based stuff like Roulettes are a lot more efficient.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1822 on: July 21, 2019, 11:19:32 PM »
I try to do a leveling, 50/60, and trials roulette every day but sometimes DPS queues and life get in the way :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1823 on: July 22, 2019, 12:31:23 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. On days where life exists I'll maybe do an alliance raid only (because I'm not sick of them yet and they're generally < 30 mins unless you get Orbonne [I've still never gotten any of the Ivalice raids in Alliance Raid Roulette, almost always CT raid and sometimes Void Ark raid]).

On a weekend day free I'll run Alliance, 50/60/70 because at least you have rotations, and then I'll run normal raids because they take like <10 mins and it's fun doing some of these again, and last I'll do leveling because it's such a roll of the dice whether you get something decent or you get Hauke Manor for the 30th time or Cutters Cry or other stuff that is awful. Basically I do whatever I can to avoid doing the leveling roulette.

In normal raid roulette today I got the Alexander raid with the different color injections and someone turning into a gorilla and no one remembered what the fuck you are supposed to be doing in this raid and it was amusing.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1824 on: July 22, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
Getting the first wing of Alexander is the best cause everyone tries their hardest to speedrun it...last time I did that it was under 3mins :lol

Last night's Leveling was Sastasha :-\ and the healer DC'd at the last boss :-\ but the tank was screaming at us for wanting to wait a min for the duty finder to find another healer :-\ so he ragequit and like 30 sec later we got a tank/healer combo and finished in about a minute :lol

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1825 on: July 22, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »
@above lol at that satasha run. you would think everyone would have it down by now but it still seems to go pear shaped almost all the time. whenever I get it on a dps job there's always something going wrong

I'm still trying to find some nice gunbreaker glamour.

Shadowbringers + eden was such a great experience. I'm really excited to see what the postgame stuff is like, and where the story goes. still tossing up whether i wanna do extreme primals. I also think I want to finally level a healer.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1826 on: July 22, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
Yeah it was pretty funny, tank and healer joined and were like "last boss and they both left? must have been rough." and me and the other DPS were just like "it's not what you think!!" :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1827 on: July 22, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »
I'm surprised you found people to do it synced with. I've always had an issue with any Ex/Savage/Coil old content. I remember the hardest part about Lakshimi Ex was people getting in the right spots for the berserk state, otherwise lotta deaths and usually wipe.

Bebpo

« Reply #1828 on: July 22, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Ah, yeah that makes sense because they don't ilevel sync, so bosses from the start of the expansion that were tuned for everyone at i300, now synched are like i400.

It's always been a bit of an odd thing. Like in Alliance Raids, the first raids will be super quick because they are tuned for the i300 equivelent of each expansion and everyone gets the i400 equivalent, but then by the 3rd raid, they'll be tuned for like i360 and everyone is synched at i400. So the latter patch stuff from previous expansions will always be somewhat harder and closer to the content at the time whereas the earlier stuff will be breezy.

If I was designing FFXIV, I'd put an ilevel max cap on ex/savage/alliance/dungeons/etc... at like 40 ilevels higher than minimum to enter, so they would all be consistently similar experiences when played later on as if playing at the maximum ilevel for the content at the time (plus a little easier since jobs are consistently buffed in potency each expansion).

But that reminds me that this is a good time I should go back and try to finish off the Stormblood Ex bosses I never tried like Shinryuu, Suzaku, Tsukiyomi and Seiryuu. Last one I did at the time was Byakko Ex and it took me about a half-day of retries with a learning party. Susano Ex at launch I remember taking a couple hours to get down and Lakshimi took about an 90mins or so and was definitely the easier of the two.

Definitely tempted to try to spend a half-day with a learning party on Titania Ex for the i450 weapon since I'm not gonna do Savage so that'll be the best weapon I can get until 5.1.

Bebpo

« Reply #1829 on: July 22, 2019, 07:20:11 PM »
True, min ilvl isn't too bad I would think in theory just because of the job potency increases should make it more doable. I didn't notice the potency increases that much in Heavensward -> Stormblood, but from Stormblood -> Shadowbringers they really buffed everything by like 15-25% DPS output.

But I've never gone back and run stuff at minimum ilvl so idk!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1830 on: July 22, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »
And I thought I was addicted

https://twitter.com/AweOfShe/status/1153290846600491008

..and I am, to glamours! L70 Kugane gear looks better in red for sure

[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #1831 on: July 22, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »
Got to 69 with WHM, almost at my 70 poetics gear wooo.

But man, I went 2.5 years for playing FFXIV without really raging about my teammates at all, and now suddenly every other experience as Healer is  :maf
So like if you're a tank, and it's your first time in a dungeon (going by the watching cutscene part), maybe A) Don't pull everything you can see until you hit a wall and just assume that's fine and B) Maybe don't do that while also deciding you're not going to even try to dodge a single AoE and you'll just stand still and surrounded by every enemy of that section while getting hit by every dodgeable AoE and then get annoyed when your healer who is busting their ass still can't heal fast enough to keep you alive until the end of the pull.

Fuck, on bosses this player would just sit in the middle of an AoE circle and not move an inch... :mindblown

I don't know if I have the stress management to survive as a healer in current level content. Was fine when everyone's so OP it doesn't matter. Was also fine when you're 1.5 years into an expansion and all the bad players have left and the regulars generally know how to play their roles. But right now doing queue stuff with healer is like pulling teeth way too often.

Bebpo

« Reply #1832 on: July 23, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
Been reading a lot on the meta of DPS classes in complexity and DPS output since it seems that NIN is fucked right now unless the next patch on the 30th fixes things. PF groups are advertising "NO NIN" already for Ex fights /sigh

Definitely want a DPS class that is at least competitive. It sounds like after BLM which I really have no interest in, Samurai is 2nd for DPS and apparently fairly simple to play but still has some skill ceiling to play it efficiently in that range of damage. So after I get my NIN/WHM up to 80, I might do the SAM 50->80 run as my main physical DPS this expansion when I want to DPS.

For ranged DPS, since I'm just anti-BLM in concept (WHM has already shown me I don't like sitting around waiting for spells to cast), not sure what I want in the event I want to do the role quest for magical ranged dps at some point. Red Mage seems good but is apparently like the most brain dead simple job rotation and I'm already bored on DRK's rotation. Summoner sounds like NIN where it's crazy complex and doesn't necessarily bring in the numbers to justify it.

Also its interesting reading that Dancer is essentially a better NIN in this expansion. Close to the same damage, more utility and much, much easier rotation so more people can play at higher optimization of DPS vs NIN. I could never hit top optimization in FFlogs for NIN last expansion and at best was landing around the middle average, so I have a feeling my NIN optimization numbers will be even worse this expansion.

I guess some of this will change in a week as they throw bandaids in the first balance patch. But I don't expect a lot of big shakeups based on past patches.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1833 on: July 23, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »
:thinking

and i was gonna try NIN as my next class to level after DNC. Maybe I'll go with SAM if NIN and DNC are already so similar. Funny thing is I'd figure Trick Attack would make up for any damage losses NIN would take but I guess not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:29:33 PM by nachobro »

Bebpo

« Reply #1834 on: July 23, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
In the past it did, but reading # crunch comparison, unless the other 7 people in your team are e-sports legendary players hitting all outputting 95% better than all other players of their class, the dps gain won't equal the dps loss from everything else. So basically with your average PF group of average players, your dps is gonna be a lot worse and you'll have more trouble hitting dps checks.

And that's with NIN playing perfectly which is incredibly hard to do with how complex it is.

Apparently Dancer has pretty bad numbers like NIN too but it has better utility and players more likely to nail the optimization. What I'm reading is if you have a DNC and a NIN your clear times are gonna be noticeably slower than PF groups without DNC/NIN and struggle more to make DPS checks. Since there are DNCs everywhere because it's a new job, it's likely any PF group has a DNC so that's why they don't want a NIN as well.

SAM definitely seems like a good job if you want a close range physical DPS right now. Monk players and Dragoon players seem generally ok with their jobs as well in this expansion. Dragoon is better off than Stormblood, whereas Monk's become pretty simple from what I'm reading.

*edit* Interestingly, I'm seeing a lot of NIN players advocating to get rid of trick attack so NIN can compete more with other DPS in personal DPS. I've always liked Trick Attack because I feel like I'm bringing something major to the party and am useful, but it almost seems like majority of NIN players don't like TA because of the TA-tax it brings to personal DPS.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1835 on: July 23, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »
DNC is definitely easier to play than NIN from what I've read and heard. Oh well, good for me at least! :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1836 on: July 23, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »
This era post has a DPS per job breakdown on one of the Shadowbringers Ex trials. Even describes that you add 1.3% to NIN and 1.6% to DNC to those numbers because of their buffs.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-ot-first-world-problems.125583/page-195#post-23005548

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1837 on: July 24, 2019, 04:15:40 AM »
Do we have a Cross World linkshell?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1838 on: July 24, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »
Are we all on Aether data center? Should be easy to set one up if there isn't one already. Just gotta friend everyone first to add them to a CWLS

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1839 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
:rejoice XI is so weird but pretty cool. Playing DNC in XIV made me want to go back and replay it in XI cause there's a lot of shared stories in the job quests

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1840 on: July 24, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
BST was a dope class but SMN was odd. I mean the XIV one is pretty odd as well, currently getting it charity leveled via SCH.

XI for me is just too old to really go back to, and never would aside from nostalgia or a reboot of some kind. If I was SE I’d finish their current plan and then put out a coast expansion with Vana Diel areas to cash in.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1841 on: July 24, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
BST was good cause you could actually play solo (sorta).

I played COR/NIN because I hated myself and wanted to be as useless as possible so no one would ever invite me to anything :gloomy

Freyj

« Reply #1842 on: July 24, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
Is there an anti DNC / NIN vibe in PF now or something? I never went deep into endgame on XIV but it always seemed better in that respect than other MMOs.

NIN is basically all I’ve ever played seriously so here’s hoping they fix it. Not sure SE has the best track record there though.

NIN has always been one of the high skill ceiling DPS to play IIRC (other than like HW BLM) but WoW does the same shit where they don’t reward that with high end DPS.

Bebpo

« Reply #1843 on: July 24, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
Only some PF groups so far. People are mostly worried that Savage which is more competitive might go in that direction. Also apparently Astrologian sucks too now and people are worried Savage groups will not take Astrologians in as a healer :|

Not sure what data center I'm on. I'm on Ultros. Definitely up for a cross-world linkshell if it's the same data center.

I always thought XI looked cool. I'd pick up the soundtracks and art books but couldn't get into it. Now after knowing what an MMO is like from FFXIV I definitely couldn't get into XI, I need all my modern QoL stuff.

remy

« Reply #1844 on: July 24, 2019, 09:05:59 PM »
Got innocence down to about 25% last night. I have most of the fight down as a tank but some of the sword rebound patterns whoop my ass in the later parts  :doge I also don't fully understand the popping the orb thing  :doge

Really though, I think the reason we didn't clear is we had an ast with 200dps  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1845 on: July 25, 2019, 03:31:00 AM »
Nothing to add other than I did this weeks Eden 1.0 this morning and I really like that fight (at least as tank). It's pretty simple in retrospect now but it's just fun movements and looks great. Plus I like bosses that do raid damage magic bursts because then I can drop my Dark Missionary -10% magic buff on the whole party right before it and feel useful. That's like my 2nd favorite move after TBN and I'm glad in this expansion DRK has a raid buff so he isn't totally useless to the raid besides getting the boss's attention and staying alive.

I'm hearing the 4 tanks are all pretty balanced this time around with Guntank being slightly weaker than the other 3 but still pretty close. I wonder what WAR/Guntank bring to the parties since PLD bring physical DPS def buffs and DRK brings magical defense buffs and theoretically WAR should bring better DPS to help with DPS checks? Not sure if it does, I think PLD is still best.

Also when I saw the DPS breakdown I was pretty surprised that Healers out-DPS tanks. I'm gonna assume this has always been the case in MMO design but I would've thought tanks with their non-attack rotations would be before healers who spend half their time healing.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1846 on: July 25, 2019, 06:58:39 PM »
So I did a dungeon with Astro and well....it kind of sucks. In general I feel the class changes I've experienced(MNK,PAL, and now AST) are made with the idea of "why aren't you doing this, here we'll make you". The tank changes seemed to be to making tanking idiot proof. "

'So you aren't using flash to get aggro? Well we've made aggro super easy and you might as well use this AOE combo now because it's cool and damage".

"Oh you aren't doing the rotation for MNK, well might as well because it makes your main starter more powerful"

The AST changes are basically all the cards kind of do the same thing and you might as well do it because thats how you get the effect all party members move. Which really sucks because yes I realize sometimes you'd get cards that you did'nt need, but you'd also get cards that really could help beyond a simple "does damage". And really they did'nt have to make the cards so mindless. Having redraw as a charge and the use 3 cards to get the effect all move would have helped that problem. What made the AST fun to me was how random and context sensitive the cards could be. I'll probably still use the AST because its still a pretty busy class and I like classes that keep me busy, but these changes kind of make it less interesting.

I really like Gunbreaker though. I guess I'm not sure what the nuance differences are between WAR and Pally. Pally seems to have more party utility which I like. Gun seems to have plenty of damage mitigation while having a lot of dps stuff with it's cool lots of button combos. So maybe a mix between War and Pally? I don't know, but I really enjoy the class. I've kind of started a WAR strangley because I  feel a bit nostalgic for ARR areas. I really like the La Noscea areas.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:26:35 AM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1847 on: July 25, 2019, 07:01:39 PM »
was gonna pop on but i keep getting booted at the login screen? servers being ddos'd again or something? :(

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1848 on: July 25, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
yeah booted twice after work.  :maf

I was in home office today so was able to finish up all the aether currents and kind of tool around somewhat and checked out the gathering stuff. I am really hoping I can be cheap and not buy any gear till 80.

Bebpo

« Reply #1849 on: July 25, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »
So I did a dungeon with Astro and well....it kind of sucks. In general I feel the class changes I've experienced(MNK,PAL, and now AST) are made with the idea of "why aren't you doing this, here we'll make you". The tank changes seemed to be to making tanking idiot proof. "

'So you aren't using flash to get aggro? Well we've made aggro super easy and you might as well use this AOE combo now because it's cool and damage".

"Oh you aren't doing the rotation for MNK, well might as well because it makes your main starter more powerful"

The AST changes are basically all the cards kind of do the same thing and you might as well do it because thats how you get the effect all party members move. Which really sucks because yes I realize sometimes you'd get cards that you did'nt need, but you'd also get cards that really could help beyond a simple "does damage". And really they did'nt have to make the cards so mindless. Having redraw as a charge and the use 3 cards to get the effect all move would have helped that problem. What made the AST fun to me was how random and context sensitive the cards could be. I'll probably still use the AST because its still a pretty busy class and I like classes that keep me busy, but these changes kind of make it less interesting.

I really like Gunbreaker though. I guess I'm not sure what the nuance differences are between WAR and Pally. Pally seems to have more Pally party utility which I like. Gun seems to have plenty of damage mitigation while having a lot of dps stuff with it's cool lots of button combos. So maybe a mix between War and Pally? I don't know, but I really enjoy the class. I've kind of started a WAR strongly because I  feel a bit nostalgic for ARR areas. I really like the La Noscea areas.

Yeah, as much as I'm sad about NIN, from what I understand AST is the party that got the most fucked this expansion. Dunno if it's even stuff they can fix in number changing balance patch.

Oh yeah, I think I heard Gunbreaker does most DPS for tank and also has the most complexity (which means most fun if you like more depth). Yeah, not sure what WAR excels at in that case since it would seem like Gunbreaker stole War's position as the DPS off-tank.

remy

« Reply #1850 on: July 25, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »
I used to play DRK but I'm definitely hooked on gunbreaker now. It is a lot harder to keep peak DPS up on gnb than it is on DRK because you have to stack all your stuff into the No Mercy duration. Like it's fun but when I was doing harder stuff (eden) my output would slip pretty bad during mechanics. Sometimes In easier stuff I can overtake one of the dps players  :doge

It's also more fun at lower levels in roulettes, because most of your kit is unlocked pretty early.

Bebpo

« Reply #1851 on: July 26, 2019, 02:03:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm at 78 now w/gatherers. The only time I've noticed needing better gear is for me gatherer retainers, around lvl.76+ the gathering you need for mats is beyond the i350 yellow scrip gear so I decked them in the 77 gear.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1852 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
I will have to take a better look into crafting as this stuff is expensive and I really don't feel like wasting money/time on now.  :doge

Fishing still seems very profitable but only for the ones you sell to other fishers. I imagine that will dry up/come back to earth soon. I remember now saying when SB launched that if you didn't care about progress for first few weeks you could make millions and millions.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1853 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »
I have never touched the crafter or gathering stuff in this game.

Bebpo

« Reply #1854 on: July 26, 2019, 08:40:30 PM »
Yeah, if I wasn't leveling my FSH retainer to 80 I could be making so much bank just having them bring back leve fish over and over and selling. I did that early on with like the very first item Sand Egg and was selling them like 15k a pop and getting 5 an hour haha. Pretty soon that'll die because yeah, only use is other FSH trading in for leves.

Jealous!

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1855 on: July 27, 2019, 12:21:56 AM »
Yeah, if I wasn't leveling my FSH retainer to 80 I could be making so much bank just having them bring back leve fish over and over and selling. I did that early on with like the very first item Sand Egg and was selling them like 15k a pop and getting 5 an hour haha. Pretty soon that'll die because yeah, only use is other FSH trading in for leves.

I didn't even think of retainers, mine are MIN/BOT. I def would have had them on duty, especially at the price PER.

Been playing this at expense of most other stuff as have been having a good time. I pretty much was able to crack out all night and just run dungeons and it was fun as hell.

At 63 my SCH got all the ruby tide stuff I've been hoarding and looks scandalous.   :jgames :journo

I need to remember where I mapped the screen library lol.

Bebpo

« Reply #1856 on: July 27, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
So I haven't had time to run anything this week besides just checking retainers and maybe a couple beast tribe quests. But did get a leveling roulette in with my 69 WHM today and it got me thinking that dungeons really really need to have a minimum ilvl. I got the lvl.65 dungeon, which doesn't hit too hard (67 is when it starts hitting hard imo), but the tank was MELTING. So I examined his equip and dude was a lvl.60 gunbreaker and this was a lvl.65 dungeon and his gear was like almost all lvl.60 NORMAL QUALITY gear. Like not green gear or HQ or anything, just boring buy from a shop normal gear. I don't even understand this as I thought when you get the job you at least get a full HQ set or maybe I was dreaming.

Even worse was this guy was lvl.66 and wasn't watching cutscenes, meaning he was past this lvl.65 dungeon and who knows how much further into Stormblood and stil running lvl.60 normal gear. Holy shit that was difficult to heal through some of those pulls and he wasn't even pulling crazy. Had one death on like a two group pull because I hit everything I had and I still could not save him.

Luckily he was a pretty nice guy and asked if he should pull smaller and I said he's probably ok but it would make my life a little easier if he did so I still gave him a commendation in the end. But like the game itself really should protect against situations like this by requiring a certain min ilvl to get into each story dungeon so the tank/healers are at least reasonably specced out to survive.

Like what if he was going into the lvl.67 dungeon with this gear? I don't think even at max stats I could heal him through pulls and I don't see how that would be finishable.

I genuinely enjoy it, I try not forcing it too much.

There's something cool about making exclusive stuff to wear/put in your home + selling your way to becoming a millionaire.

dirty dirty lies :P

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1857 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »
I did fishing and mining in 1.0 and that was enough to last me a lifetime. Also all my crafting/gathering energy for MMOs was used up by WoW years ago

Bebpo

« Reply #1858 on: July 27, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
Got my White Mage to 70, geared up in poetics and finished the job quest and did a Shinryu run. Plenary Indulgence in Shadowbringers seems ok? Just an extra push on a big medica every 60 secs. I remember it being more complicated when I read the skills in Stormblood.

Now time to start getting my NIN and WHM through SHB! Once my gatherers hit 80 I’ll finish up their role quest and gear them up with scrip gear.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1859 on: July 28, 2019, 02:08:09 AM »
The Domans are free, now I'm off to do the same thing in Ala Mhigo again I guess. :lol Doma Castle was a really fun dungeon, I think my favorite so far. SB dungeons have all been really good though.

[close]