Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5828950 times)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Re: Other Forums |OT| The Desperation For Outrage
« Reply #60720 on: February 12, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
Margs

Averon

« Reply #60721 on: February 12, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »
That Clipjoint ban is bullshit. Mods need to stop acting like cunts who throw out bans when conversations are not to their liking because they can't handle the conversation taking place. Shut the fuck up and let the conversation flow rather than trying to stifle it. He ain't done anything in the discussion worthy of a ban. And citing some bullshit reason as "misrepresenting information" along with some vague allusions to past incidents, which if this ban was anything to go by, may be similarly bullshit, ain't justifying it. It basically reeks of "I'm tired of this fucker and this discussion, let's just ban him to stop him coming at it".

:salute :salute

Not surprising, but...

User Banned (Duration Pending): Hostile comments towards staff, history of hostile behaviour

Also, Clipjoint's ban was reversed, which is surprising. Usually when they get called out when they make questionable bans they dig in their heels, ban any further discussion on the topic, and make some generic "message staff privately to ask about moderation" proclamation. I guess getting called out for such blatant, indefensible mod abuse hit a nerve? Or Royalan couldn't defend his ban of Clipjoint to the rest of the mods  :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60722 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/just-had-my-front-tooth-knocked-out-by-a-crazy-person.99186/post-17824028

wow that sounds terrible

Was at the post office, a guy was screaming a the staff hurling racist and other slurs. I walked over and told him to calm down and asked what was happening, apparently someone pushed in front of him in the queue.

I asked if that was a valid reason for this kind of escalation, he started screaming at me.

:badass

Took my phone out to record it

:ufup

So I called the police and followed him while I did intending to see where he lived as he was obviously local,

:neogaf :mindblown

I have a horrible habbit of involving myself when I see people abusing others, so this was a long time coming.
:ego

more like you wanted to post a "LOOK AT CRAZY RACIST ASSHOLE" video

Propagandhim

« Reply #60723 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That's fucking amazing.  Tries to get his phone out to record some mentally disturbed rando.  Probably had a warm, fuzzy feeling thinking about all the retweets before that dose of reality. 

Boredfrom

« Reply #60724 on: February 12, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »
That Clipjoint ban is bullshit. Mods need to stop acting like cunts who throw out bans when conversations are not to their liking because they can't handle the conversation taking place. Shut the fuck up and let the conversation flow rather than trying to stifle it. He ain't done anything in the discussion worthy of a ban. And citing some bullshit reason as "misrepresenting information" along with some vague allusions to past incidents, which if this ban was anything to go by, may be similarly bullshit, ain't justifying it. It basically reeks of "I'm tired of this fucker and this discussion, let's just ban him to stop him coming at it".

:salute :salute

Not surprising, but...

User Banned (Duration Pending): Hostile comments towards staff, history of hostile behaviour

Also, Clipjoint's ban was reversed, which is surprising. Usually when they get called out when they make questionable bans they dig in their heels, ban any further discussion on the topic, and make some generic "message staff privately to ask about moderation" proclamation. I guess getting called out for such blatant, indefensible mod abuse hit a nerve? Or Royalan couldn't defend his ban of Clipjoint to the rest of the mods  :lol

I remember the ban message included “racism” initially. Clipjoint was being annoying and the BLM analogy was asking for it, but seriously doubt Clip was being racist.

In any case, both sides in that thread were pretty dumb, being honest here.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #60725 on: February 12, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/just-had-my-front-tooth-knocked-out-by-a-crazy-person.99186/post-17824028

wow that sounds terrible

Was at the post office, a guy was screaming a the staff hurling racist and other slurs. I walked over and told him to calm down and asked what was happening, apparently someone pushed in front of him in the queue.

I asked if that was a valid reason for this kind of escalation, he started screaming at me.

So I called the police and followed him while I did intending to see where he lived as he was obviously local,

I have a horrible habbit of involving myself when I see people abusing others, so this was a long time coming.

WORLD START ERA . COM!!!

:dead

Boredfrom

« Reply #60726 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:28 AM »

wow that sounds terrible

So why he went all George Zimmerman and started to follow him?

BisMarckie

« Reply #60727 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
As a cringe aficionado these last two linked threads  are just :delicious
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:50:28 AM by KennyLoggins »

Propagandhim

« Reply #60728 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »

This guy needs to come here to NYC to treat his white savior neurosis.  Imagine jumping into every altercation with your phone at the ready with no abandon.  What a dumb cracker. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60729 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »

So why he went all George Zimmerman and started to follow him?

so he could make a thread on resetera.com and banbait people for 'victim blaming'
 :rollsafe

BisMarckie

« Reply #60730 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
The right course of action when an obvious crazy person is screaming stuff is to film them for using inappropriate language. :rofl

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60731 on: February 12, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
you sure as fuck don't start following them home, jfc

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #60732 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »
This went quickly into "you asked for that" territory.

edit:Oh, I see. It's that astro guy who got mad when someone on the forum used "boys"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/can-we-please-stop-using-the-word-boys-to-address-the-room.78465/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:01:55 AM by HaughtyFrank »

BisMarckie

« Reply #60733 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
I worked in a grocery store  during my college days and you had homeless people who had an psychotic episode comin in pretty much daily.
The thought that someone tried engaging them in a serious way and calling them out for their language had me laughing so hard that I almost peed myself. :rofl

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60734 on: February 12, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
Also, given OPs always present themselves in the most flattering way possible when describing the events of an OP, I'd be prepared to bet it went more like this:
 - dude having a meltdown at post office
 - takes out phone and starts filming with a "U MAD BRO?"
 - dude having a meltdown swipes at phone then storms out of post office
 - OP follows him out while filming and going "Y U MAD THO?"
 - gets punched in the face

but obviously I believe the talk of OP only backing down when his assailant wielded a Kusari-fundo

« Reply #60736 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
At that point is saw red and chased him. I grabbed him with the intent to hold him for the police, and he pulled out a chain, a thick fucking metal chain with a spike on the end of it. At that point I put my hands up and just let him walk way.

When trying to act offline like you do online turns your life into impromptu Streets of Rage.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #60737 on: February 12, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
Are you sure you’re not the crazy person? We’re you having a boring day or something? What a bizarre string of events, why keep involving yourself with this guy?

lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60738 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
At that point I saw red and tried to grab him, then he pulled out that chain and I just walked away.

And the chain... it was a really fat metal chain link with what looked like a miniature morning star on the end. Fuck messing with that.

r/thathappened

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #60739 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Wow, almost every post so far is victim blaming. Damn. Glad you're okay, and good on you for stepping the fuck up when others didn't.

Victim blaming.

lol

FStop7

« Reply #60740 on: February 12, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »
Kirblar’s got to be the most annoying poster on Ree.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #60741 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:13 AM »
impact of a traumatic brain injury ever since

So that explains everything.

Jansen

« Reply #60742 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/black-history-month-trolling-continues-esquire’s-profile-of-white-american-boy-during-black-history-month-stirs-controversy.99193/

Everything is an attack on African Americans

Propagandhim

« Reply #60743 on: February 12, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »
I was at a restaurant owned by a friend who was throwing an anniversary party of sorts;  place was kinda rowdy... I look up at the bar and see my friend arguing with a guy about something, she's like 5'2" and he honestly looked like he might punch her...   Well I wanted a drink anyways and thought I would try to diffuse whatever it was.. so I walk up and say something like "Hey let's chill out let me buy some drinks we can work whatever this is out" and kinda put my hand on arguing dude's shoulder.

His friend from behind then proceeds to knock me out, and repeatedly stomped my head.  I woke up the next day in the hospital.

I have been living with the impact of a traumatic brain injury ever since (about 15 years now.)

The End

Jesus Christ.  The guy go to jail?

BisMarckie

« Reply #60744 on: February 12, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »
Friend of mine had the same thing happen to him.

He still can't smell and taste things properly.

Propagandhim

« Reply #60745 on: February 12, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
welp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #60746 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
At that point is saw red and chased him. I grabbed him with the intent to hold him for the police, and he pulled out a chain, a thick fucking metal chain with a spike on the end of it. At that point I put my hands up and just let him walk way.

When trying to act offline like you do online turns your life into impromptu Streets of Rage.

©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60747 on: February 12, 2019, 10:30:18 AM »
We ended up figuring out who he was;  he was with a group of guys known to the bar, and she managed to get his name out of them.   A couple of friends of mine wanted to track him down to..uh.. do stuff, but the dude literally fled the country over it.  He was already wanted, and apparently was planning on leaving the country soon-ish anyways and was on a crack/coke rampage that night.

He apparently went to Thailand to cage fight.  lol

I think it was in relation to the liam neeson discussion that I said that way more people than most people would be comfortable thinking about go out at night deliberately looking for trouble as an excuse to lash out, which it sounds like this asshole did to you :/

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #60748 on: February 12, 2019, 10:31:10 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/just-had-my-front-tooth-knocked-out-by-a-crazy-person.99186/post-17825896
I don't think I'm any kind of hero, but I don't think people should stand by and watch other people be terrorized.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #60749 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/black-history-month-trolling-continues-esquire’s-profile-of-white-american-boy-during-black-history-month-stirs-controversy.99193/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/entertainment/katy-perry-blackface-shoes/index.html

We are in the stupidest timeline.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #60750 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:50 AM »
Astro getting gap toothed for being a dumbass in a completely avoidable situation is  :delicious

What an annoying little shit  ::)
Margs

Propagandhim

« Reply #60751 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
Obviously you run this risk whenever you intervene in a situation like this, but I've actually diffused quite a few situations like this in the past just by talking people down.   I tried that, then I backed off to record him carry on, then I called the police, stepepd outside to see where he went, and boom. Sucker punched in the mouth as I turned around to look for him.

My plan to diffuse the situation went awry, so I proceeded to escalate the situation with my trusty telephone.  Folks, believe me when I say this, things went south fast!

Next time I'll just call the police from a distance and not even alert the person to my prescence unless they're causing physical harm to someone weaker than them. I can see exactly what I did wrong here, but these things happen. It's not always so easy to judge in the moment.

Well, shit.  Good for him for figuring it out, though. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #60752 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
I get that I'm being a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, but fuck it I live in one of the most theocratic states in the USA and have no experience with these nu age "liberal values" churches, but how exactly do lgbt friendly churches exist in the manner that excel and others are claiming?

Do they just skip that part of the bible? Do they not care about whether the congregation is going to Heaven or Hell? Do they think that the bible is just a load of old timey hooey and church is just a social thing?

It just seems so fundamentally incompatible, even more than a lot of the other silly shit the church does. It's like if I started a church that said "Bible's the word of God, but we allow coveting of your neighbor's wife and murder because God obviously wasn't aware of 2019 when he laid down these inflexible rules".

Yeah, pretty much. One of the dumbest things non-religious people think is that anyone who goes to church is super dogmatic and follows shit to the letter. MOST church goers/churches are pretty chill and casually ignore the unsavory parts of the Bible/Christian history and focus on the community and positivity aspect. There's a lot of handwaving and shrugging even from true blue devout Christians, because there has to be otherwise you're going to be a monster in modern times.

I always thought most of the anti-gay parts of the bible were in the old testament in the same places that say don't touch food a menstruating woman has touched and only eat fish on Thursdays and a daughter should never be sold for less than three cows

i.e. the stuff everyone already ignores, or says that Jesus made unnecessary to follow anymore

Plus I think the supposedly pro-gay churches have more a stance of "yeah it's a sin but so is picking your nose, everyone's as much a sinner as anyone else and we're not supposed to judge each other so who tf cares"
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #60753 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
And yet the majority of Christians subscribe to Pauline Christianity, so spare me your interpretation.

:phil
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60754 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
He says he's in the UK, so if things happened as he claimed they did it will definitely show up in local news.

Because "Man assaulted by chain wielding maniac" is a bigger news story than "Local post office is still closed while looking for a manager"

Averon

« Reply #60755 on: February 12, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »

Is Esquire a typically Black focused publication? If so, then I could understand their irritation a bit. If not, what are they implying? That anything sort of article focusing on a non-POC during Black History Month is somehow 'trolling' or a 'slap to their faces'?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60756 on: February 12, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
"yeah it's a sin but so is picking your nose, everyone's as much a sinner as anyone else and we're not supposed to judge each other so who tf cares"

Which is still a pretty fucked up view on things.

"Yeah just repent for who you are to avoid hell, meanwhile we will celebrate who other people are with elaborate ceremonies and praise!"

I mean, the only things the bible outright says are DO THIS / DON'T DO THIS are the 10 commandments, everything else is just a mixture of transcribed oral histories and speculation about why shit happened.
And none of them say shit about who, how, where, when or why you wet your whistle.

And the New Testament - which if you call yourself a Christian is the part you're actually really supposed to pay attention to, because its the direct words of someone you explicitly believe is the messiah so should hold more weight than any of the other people who make up the rest of the bible - is pretty easily summarised into "be excellent to each other".

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60757 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »
Mind you, america was literally founded by the fire and brimstone bible thumpers who thought europe was too decadent and godless for their tastes when they boarded the mayflower

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #60758 on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
He says he's in the UK, so if things happened as he claimed they did it will definitely show up in local news.

Because "Man assaulted by chain wielding maniac" is a bigger news story than "Local post office is still closed while looking for a manager"

Maybe it's the same person.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60759 on: February 12, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
The various churches are a lot like resetera moderation; theres a list of things that are listed as against the rules, and then theres a bunch of shit various moderators have personal ideas about what should and shouldn't be allowed that they selectively enforce at a whim.
And they'd much rather go to FIRE AND BRIMSTONE (bans) than love and education.

:ohhh

Boredfrom

« Reply #60760 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Is kind of gross that Jim Sterling is acting like Battlefield being a disappointment is because “irrational expectations”.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #60761 on: February 12, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
Is kind of gross that Jim Sterling is acting like Battlefield being a disappointment is because “irrational expectations”.

It's the elephant in the room no one from the games media wants to address. It's also kind of dumb to say that the expectations were irrational when it sold less than BF1

Boredfrom

« Reply #60762 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
Isn’t Apex Legends super hot right know and it has “diversity characters”.  At lest that to me says the pushback is not exactly because the shooter/casual crowd hates diversity.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60763 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
Jim Sterling is a fucking populist idiot who despite working professionally as a games journalist seemingly willfully didn't learn a single damn thing about the industry he covered, even via osmosis.

He literally makes his money telling armchair quarterbacks exactly what they want to hear.

marrec

« Reply #60764 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
Jim Sterling is a fucking populist idiot who despite working professionally as a games journalist seemingly willfully didn't learn a single damn thing about the industry he covered, even via osmosis.

He literally makes his money telling armchair quarterbacks exactly what they want to hear.

But he does it with a British accent. So... there's that.

Ah, the Total Biscuit (pbuh) technique

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60765 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
More like the Piers Morgan technique

e:
Piers Morgan, the man Donald Fucking Trump described as "ruthless, arrogant, evil and obnoxious"

BisMarckie

« Reply #60766 on: February 12, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
Dan Ryckert is the best thing game journalism has to offer right now.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #60767 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »
Isn’t Apex Legends super hot right know and it has “diversity characters”.  At lest that to me says the pushback is not exactly because the shooter/casual crowd hates diversity.

Same with fortnite, overwatch, rainbow six siege etc. the idea that the bf2 pushback was purely misogyny driven just doesn't hold much water

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60768 on: February 12, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #60769 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
Is Ichthyosaurus an alt of kirblar? They have the same posting style where they try to justify shutting down any support for anyone left of Hillary.

Also Resetera has a weird hate fetish for Glenn Greenwald. What did he do to tick him off?

It's funny because Glenn Greenwald is very much seen as an example of the 'regressive left' by certain factions. This is mainly because of him and his associates attacking people critical of Islam. However, one thing you can say about Greenwald is he is an ardent defender of free speech, and it's that aspect of him that was never going to gel with Era types.

Ardent defend of free speech... lol I can't roll my eyes hard enough

The only objection to that I can see is, 'ardent' is too strong a word. That's it. Greenwald has always been on the side of free speech. And I say this depsite having some criticisms of the person myself. I've always thought, well, at least his defence of free speech is admirable. And that is part of why he clashes with Era because that kind of Left-Libertarian perspective (where there is an emphasis on freedom) just doesn't gel with them. So for example, Greenwald defended Alex Jones when he was banned pretty much uniformly from social media. His defence of people they don't like is what puts him at odds with them. They believe certain viewpoints should be silenced.

This seems an odd thing to object to as this is the one area where Greenwald has been consistent. Unless you can show me evidence to the contrary. I don't read the Intercept(I don't like the journalists there) so maybe you know something I am not aware of, but knowing that side of Greenwald I feel that is unlikely.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:14:29 PM by Leadbelly »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #60770 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
Jesus Christ.  The guy go to jail?

We ended up figuring out who he was;  he was with a group of guys known to the bar, and she managed to get his name out of them.   A couple of friends of mine wanted to track him down to..uh.. do stuff, but the dude literally fled the country over it.  He was already wanted, and apparently was planning on leaving the country soon-ish anyways and was on a crack/coke rampage that night.

He apparently went to Thailand to cage fight.  lol

Was his name Evilore perchance?
^_^

Boredfrom

« Reply #60771 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »

e:
Piers Morgan, the man Donald Fucking Trump described as "ruthless, arrogant, evil and obnoxious"

I don’t think Jim is evil, I just think he is a disingenuous cunt.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #60772 on: February 12, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #60773 on: February 12, 2019, 12:08:46 PM »

Oh lawd..I'd absolutely love to fight Tyler.

:gurl

You are talking about the man who would have beaten Bruce Lee with both arms tied behind his back. :ufup

RIP in pieces riotous.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60774 on: February 12, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »

e:

I don’t think Jim is evil, I just think he is a disingenuous cunt.

maybe amoral is closer to the truth. He uses the exact same hot take punditry populism as piers morgan uses.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #60775 on: February 12, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »
Was his name Evilore perchance?

Oh lawd..I'd absolutely love to fight Tyler.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #60776 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
Dan Ryckert is the best thing game journalism has to offer right now.

(Image removed from quote.)

vinny has that dad quality that i have been missing since my dad left us. so my vote goes to him for dad and game journalist of the year

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #60778 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »