Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88445 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm moving some things around so I brought all my stuff to work. The left Philips is a HDTV CRT which weighs far too much (that's my coworker's, mostly for Bemani games). Commodore monitor I'd be happy to give to anyone local in Seattle; we made a custom Svideo cable for it. The Sony is a BVM capable of 1080i and is the single greatest television I have ever seen in my life and it's my main display. Panasonic PVM is big, bright, and beautiful. Sony at the bottom is one of the last CRT monitors they did and is god-tier but I might have to give this to someone as it weighs waaaaaaaaaaay too much and takes up too much space.

Also in that picture: Virtua Fighter 3 arcade board and Apple //e

That's beautiful, breh, like a work of art.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #362 on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
Probably one of the most underrated beat'em ups that ever existed.  Damn that game was fun!!!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2019, 12:49:58 AM »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »

If anybody wants to re-litigate the 16-bit Console War, I'm ready. :punch
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
No discussion needed- Genesis has blast processing :smug
:snob
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »

yeah good for blasting right into the toilet amirite
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #367 on: July 03, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
I'm moving to Japan in 3 months so if anyone in Seattle wants any of this shit PM me

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: July 03, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »

yeah good for blasting right into the toilet amirite

I'm selling genuine Mega Drive toilet bathwater if you're interested.  Gonna go fast!
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: July 03, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
I'm fully adapting to the Everdrive lifestyle, brehs. It's so good.

Buying retro games  :nope
Buying real (or FPGA) consoles w/real controllers and then dumping the complete ROM set onto an SD card :ohyeah
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #370 on: July 03, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
Emulators :nope

FGPAs :ohyeah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #371 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:56 AM »
Hooked up the Atari 2600 to see if it still works.

Pac Man Junior is hard. :(

Himu

« Reply #372 on: July 04, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »

holy fuck. i know it's old but still
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #373 on: July 04, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
LOL at the guy saying you should factor in the price of genuine Sega CD games sold on ebay when considering the cost. "Piracy is clever, all games are free"
(By the way, a real Sega CD can boot CD-Rs, there is no copy protection.)
Anyway, nice product, but too expensive for my taste since I already have an Everdrive and a working Sega CD unit.
And since Sega CD support may be coming to Everdrive, I'm going to hold off for now.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #374 on: July 05, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Sooo I've been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS and

WHY THE FUCK DID NOBODY LEARN FROM FUCKING CHRONO TRIGGER? Seriously there are so many QOL improvements to the JRPG genre in this game it makes me furious that nobody rolled with any of these, seriously what in the actual fuck, how just how

Best feature: WALKING AROUND WHILE PEOPLE ARE TALKING

Also here's an important question: Should I be playing it on my DS, or should I be playing the SNES version (I have access to both)

paprikastaude

« Reply #375 on: July 05, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
It's the same, except DS has some new hack-tier dungeon and a dumb ending anime cutscene from the PS1 version.

Svejk

« Reply #376 on: July 05, 2019, 09:27:08 PM »
Playing CT on a DS emu on my phone, one handed is quite sublime.  I just wish the game would keep my interest after a few hours.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #377 on: July 06, 2019, 03:31:16 AM »
Sooo I've been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS and

WHY THE FUCK DID NOBODY LEARN FROM FUCKING CHRONO TRIGGER? Seriously there are so many QOL improvements to the JRPG genre in this game it makes me furious that nobody rolled with any of these, seriously what in the actual fuck, how just how

Best feature: WALKING AROUND WHILE PEOPLE ARE TALKING

Also here's an important question: Should I be playing it on my DS, or should I be playing the SNES version (I have access to both)

DS version is fine. People who moan about the extra content are dumb. Why would you hate more chrono trigger lmao
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #378 on: July 06, 2019, 06:40:09 AM »
the new ps1 ending sucks, iirc in the snes version
spoiler (click to show/hide)
frog doesn't get back to normal
[close]

Chooky

« Reply #379 on: July 06, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »
the new ps1 ending sucks, iirc in the snes version
spoiler (click to show/hide)
frog doesn't get back to normal
[close]

wrong

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
I've received my copy of the second print of Outrun on the Sega Saturn..

60 fps, 5x upscale on my ossc.. It's GLORIOUS :preach

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »
I've been browsing ebay for random games for giggles, and holy god some of the prices on this stuff.

Not the stuff that's clearly holy grails (or artificially inflated titles) but just random games you wouldn't think of.

Remember DrillDozer, the game nobody gave two shits about and was clearanced as low as $5?

Averages between $75-90 CIB on eBay - with Cart Only going as high as $50
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: July 16, 2019, 01:08:30 PM »
Grabbed some PS2 games recently since I finally got my PS2 hooked up again:

dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #384 on: July 16, 2019, 01:11:06 PM »
PS2 is a great library to dive into. Lots of one-off platformers that were only available on it. Also quite cheap to get into as well
fat

Svejk

« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2019, 08:29:44 PM »
Tokyo Xtreme Racer is so damn good!  :lawd

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #386 on: July 17, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »
I spent a lot of time on that on Dreamcast.  I wish there was a version on modern consoles.  The closest would be doing the freeway races in Midnight Club LA.  I don't think I did more than 4 or 5 story missions in that game, I would just challenge randoms on the freeway.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: July 17, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
Looks like this is the last console game released- based on the Wangan Midnight manga series:

They had a mobile game in 2017 but it was shut down already.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »
This is the first game in the series!  Didn't know it went back that far.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
I've been browsing ebay for random games for giggles, and holy god some of the prices on this stuff.

Not the stuff that's clearly holy grails (or artificially inflated titles) but just random games you wouldn't think of.

Remember DrillDozer, the game nobody gave two shits about and was clearanced as low as $5?

So many new copies for sale, too- guess these are all from people who grabbed it cheap years ago.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
This is the first game in the series!  Didn't know it went back that far.

Several of the older games actually got American releases, too, though under different names.
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »
A new Tokyo Highway Battle game would whip so much ass, those games started going downhill once they added the official cars and made it "legal"

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
I think they were going through some money troubles during the mid-00s that they never really recovered from.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Another awesome non-licensed driving game I put a stupid amount of hours in, was Peak Performance on PS1.  Man... That game kicked all sorts of ass back then. 

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #394 on: July 25, 2019, 08:48:24 AM »
Got a good deal on a Japanese NeoGeo mini with 2 pads.  The stick on the unit and pads is analog, which I'm not thrilled about (hard to pull off moves in KOF for me) but otherwise it's pretty nice.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it at work as part of my mini arcade or bring it home since it has HDMI out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: July 25, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
Got a good deal on a Japanese NeoGeo mini with 2 pads.  The stick on the unit and pads is analog, which I'm not thrilled about (hard to pull off moves in KOF for me) but otherwise it's pretty nice.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it at work as part of my mini arcade or bring it home since it has HDMI out.

Almost bought one when they were being dumped last week but passed.  Will probably get one when they hit $50 or so.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #396 on: July 26, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »
For $50 it would be a good pick up, especially if you get 1 or 2 pads with it.

I played with it a bit more yesterday and had a good game in Garou and was able to pull off specials pretty easily with Terry using the little stick, I guess I must just suck at KOF.  The screen is really nice and it sounds good through headphones.  I still need to check out how well it works via HDMI on a TV.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #397 on: July 26, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »

This is wild, I got it for super cheap. I didn't realize GBA carts were fetching a lot, I need to do an inventory as haven't touched in years.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »

Yeah I know it sucks. The problem is youtube videos talking about GBA Hidden Gems such as MetalJesus and his videos..

I am also looking for this game, and also a bunch of other GBA games which are seemingly rare now :(

I did pick up some nice gba games Ill post it soon
What

Shuri

« Reply #399 on: August 21, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »
I've received my TerraOnion MegaSD last week and I finally got around giving it a try as I'm recovering for surgery and I'm recovering my fucking senses at last.

It's a big buggy right now, some games like Snatcher have weird pauses where nothing happens for 2 minutes then the game resumes. I have no idea how this was not detected during QA but eeeh.. The team is working hard with numerous firmware updates. The unit itself is well built, I can't say I'm pleased with the fact that you cannot run SegaCD games if you have the 32x, due to various tech limitations from what I have seen on the forums.

I havent run into any issues with Sega Genesis stuff, you have save states, cheat supports, and also support for Virtua Racing Genny AND weird hacks like the super awesome (if you're a fan) of The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy hack, which is a super hack of UMK3 with the feature of being able to selection game specific version of each character of the MK Franchise, a custom soundtrack, 4 fatalities per character and its not super janky trash at all. It was made with care (tm)

.. The only drawback is that it's for the genesis version, which suffered compared to other ports, but so much work went into this hack. So being able to run this on real hardware is fucking cool.

Loading games is pretty much instant, there's automatic region patching, options for in game reboots and in-game menu options that you can make pop-up holding Up and Start.

I don't know what else to add, the only problem is the price tag but I'd say it's worth it all things considered.

ALSO - damn a lot of segaCD stuff has aged horribly. I think the fact that i'm playing using an OSSC is REALLY making the segacd's fmv limitations glaring.

I also discovered this hilarious fucking bizarre fmv game called WIREHEAD

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2019, 08:47:08 AM »

ALSO - damn a lot of segaCD stuff has aged horribly. I think the fact that i'm playing using an OSSC is REALLY making the segacd's fmv limitations glaring.

I've been playing some of the FMV 25th anniversary releases like Night Trap and Corpse Killer and going back to the original Sega CD versions is pretty jarring.  They were pretty mind-blowing back in the day though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »
That sucks that the MegaSD is a little jank. Hopefully firmware patches can fix it.
©@©™

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #402 on: September 04, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »
Got a couple more mini cabinets.

​​​​​​​The Replicade Tempest is the best one of these I've come across.  It's built really well, controls smooth, and the cabinet art is great.  Looking forward to the Street Fighter one now.

The MyArcade Namco Museum is pretty cool too, though I'm not a huge fan of the screen, especially for horizontal games like Rolling Thunder and Splatterhouse.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: September 04, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Cool!  Wish I could get a better look at it without that PHOTOBUCKET shit plastered across the image.   
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »
 :goty

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:30:50 AM by porkbun »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Lyte can't even see his toes, don't worry about him
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2019, 01:10:34 PM »
That sucks that the MegaSD is a little jank. Hopefully firmware patches can fix it.
the issues are still not patched :|

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #408 on: September 04, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
Slightly updated game room, until my wife starts throwing a shitfit that I bought Vidya so close to her birthday

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: September 04, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
What is hooked up to the TV?
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
PS4 playing Final Fight via the Capcom Beat Em Up Collection

Also have a modded SNES Classic, modded C64 Mini, modded PS Classic, and MAME box hooked up to the same TV

But yet I need MAOR GAMEZ~!

:kinison

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
Just a heads up that there are some retro collections 50% off on PSN this week.  Castlevania (both the Anniversary collection and Requiem), Contra, Konami, Dragon's Lair, probably a couple more that I'm missing.

Also Track & Field got added to Arcade Archives.  Can't wait to break a $60 controller on the hammer throw.

Rman

« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »
Slightly updated game room, until my wife starts throwing a shitfit that I bought Vidya so close to her birthday

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice room, but is that Blackberry you used to take the pic lol.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
 :six:

It's a cheapie burner phone, I spend all my spare cash on vidya and toys for my kid.

Track & Field on PS4 is fucking hard, even when you give yourself an extra "life".  Can't even get past the 3rd event.

:snoop

I also got the Data East MyArcade mini cabinet.  Glad I only paid $40, there are a lot of stinkers on it.  Also (along with the Namco one) it doesn't make sense to me why there isn't a battery in it.  Kind of sucks to have to always have it plugged in.

BisMarckie

« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Moral conundrum:
Let's say a colleague from work gave you his N64 games in exchange for an invitation to lunch. Turns out Conker's Bad Fur Day was among the games, along with OoT, Majora's Mask,Mario 64, Smash, Bomberman 64 and Mario Party 1.
Would you tell your colleague that he spent hundreds on that lunch and return these games?
I already own these games besides Conker and Mario Party. the other stuff was sports game junk. I wanted these games for me, not to make a quick buck off of them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:00:57 PM by BisMarckie »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #415 on: September 24, 2019, 07:03:08 PM »
Pay for his lunch more often. Never say why until he catches on. Then go for a hug.

BisMarckie

« Reply #416 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »
My initial idea was to sell the dupes and give him the money. This scenario would have me keeping Conker and MP1.  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Uh yeah, sure, that sounds good, too. Ahem.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2019, 09:58:53 PM »
If you're trying to get good karma just tell him those games are worth money and he can make a quick buck. If he says he don't give a fuck then it's all yours, no sweat off your nuts
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2019, 11:50:35 PM »
Work colleagues are not friends.  :kermit
©@©™