Poll

When will Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time be released?

3 (23.1%)
Before 2029
3 (23.1%)
Maybe Next Decade
5 (38.5%)
Never
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: You know, Shinji, we really are the End of Evangelion.  (Read 75303 times)

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:56 AM »
2003 was 16 years ago

Himu

« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2019, 01:24:11 AM »
2003 was 16 years ago

:rage

shut the fuck up

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:tocry
[close]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:31:21 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2019, 02:01:15 AM »
Everyone's character matches from that quiz got likes except for my post admitting I got Asuka :fbm

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2019, 02:24:15 AM »
Everyone's character matches from that quiz got likes except for my post admitting I got Asuka :fbm

Kimochi warui...
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2019, 02:48:01 AM »
Glen as Asuka is actually a perfect fit

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2019, 02:52:24 AM »
I hope someone with a 13 inch dick forcibly splits your colon.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
God's in his Heaven, all's right in the world.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
Glen's on the bire, all is wrong in this thread.

Tasty

« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
2003 was 16 years ago

Stole my reply. :P

Tasty

« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/24/18701179/netflix-neon-genesis-evangelion-kaworu-gay-backlash

“Everyone has always been mad about Evangelion,” she said, sounding weary. “This is the way of the world.”

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »
Just a reminder that people were mad enough about Evangelion all the way back in 1996 to send death threats to the creators. Not much has changed since then.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:20:23 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2019, 03:29:01 AM »
I am done with the series and the movie. The last act is the best part. I reject the controversy that the show falls off. The show dispensed with its pretense and embraced what it was actually about rather than cater to the viewer with one last cool battle for the fate of the planet. The instrumentation episodes, and the instrumentation scenes that made it into the movie, are some of the best purely psychological experiences to have ever been written for tv. And what genius storytelling, too. Inner dialogue is everywhere, but how many stories go to the extreme lengths of exhaustively explaining character psyches with methodical pairwise encounters, forcing them into the closest proximity possible, with no way to withhold secrets or their most intimate thoughts? This pure vulnerability and relentless mutual interrogation is just as intense as any of the near death experiences that happened during the rest of the show, and that is a high bar to match. The explanation of the hedgehog's dilemma was the perfect way to ease the viewer into this climactic confrontation. Fuyutsuki said (twice ::)) that man's greatest enemy would be man itself. Well, Shinji's greatest enemy ended up being everyone he was closest to (and himself). That's deep, yo. And not fake deep, but poignant and universal in multitudinous ways.

This is a flawless show and an indelible experience. It's one of those consequential pieces of art you will feel deeply grateful for having had the opportunity to experience. Like LOST.
每天生气

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
I am done with the series and the movie. The last act is the best part. I reject the controversy that the show falls off. The show dispensed with its pretense and embraced what it was actually about rather than cater to the viewer with one last cool battle for the fate of the planet. The instrumentation episodes, and the instrumentation scenes that made it into the movie, are some of the best purely psychological experiences to have ever been written for tv. And what genius storytelling, too. Inner dialogue is everywhere, but how many stories go to the extreme lengths of exhaustively explaining character psyches with methodical pairwise encounters, forcing them into the closest proximity possible, with no way to withhold secrets or their most intimate thoughts? This pure vulnerability and relentless mutual interrogation is just as intense as any of the near death experiences that happened during the rest of the show, and that is a high bar to match. The explanation of the hedgehog's dilemma was the perfect way to ease the viewer into this climactic confrontation. Fuyutsuki said (twice ::)) that man's greatest enemy would be man itself. Well, Shinji's greatest enemy ended up being everyone he was closest to (and himself). That's deep, yo. And not fake deep, but poignant and universal in multitudinous ways.

This is a flawless show and an indelible experience. It's one of those consequential pieces of art you will feel deeply grateful for having had the opportunity to experience. Like LOST.

You had me right until the end.

Tasty

« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
Watched the first two episodes on Netflix last night, and boy is it looking good. The lack of Fly Me to the Moon is jarring, but if you've never seen the show before I can see it not being a big deal. Still got my Platinum DVD set just cause I was too lazy to sell it off.
野球

« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
So if you all didn't notice.  There are still 14 different versions of the rei theme that play as the end theme, in place of the 14 fly me to the moons.  So while it's a shame they dropped it, they at least did it correctly.

Kara

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
On Netflix Japan it apparently has "Fly Me to the Moon" for the ED.

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
I mean I'm pretty certain Evangelion had a lot of non-minor canon details (including a whole plot of precursor aliens behind the Angels or somesuch) gated in a videogame (Girlfriend of Steel ?).

Yeah the overarching cosmic plot is a lot of window dressing to the actual drama when you start looking at it not as an excited when but it was a pretty big deal.

Evangelion 2 on PS2 is considered the first/only source for much of the entire original series backstory.

What's neat reading up on all it however is how much the fans had guessed correctly long before it released, but had given different names (as you would expect.)

The series and movies are definitely, obviously made "on the fly" but I have to be impressed at the overall consistency to the series' mythology given that.

How much of the mythology and plot were done ad hoc isn't really relevant; the fact that Anno was able to "fill in the cracks" so to speak with the PS2 game so definitively and in such a neat package speaks to a level of detail-oriented genius. Put another way, lesser writers may have felt "written into a corner." But not Anno, he tried (eventually) explaining (some) stuff anyways.

I bought that game for like 500 yen in Japan years back, I should play it.

Also, 3nd (pronounced like "sound") Impact on the PSP is a really cool rhythm game designed by Suda and Grasshopper.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »

Yeah, this has happened a number of times before, with an anime series using an English-language song in Japan but the American release having to change it because of differences in licensing fees between countries.
dog

« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »

Yeah, this has happened a number of times before, with an anime series using an English-language song in Japan but the American release having to change it because of differences in licensing fees between countries.

Yep, this happened with Zeta Gundam's opening songs since Neil Sedaka has the rights. At least with that situation Bandai Entertainment told people about it ahead of time.

And cause I'm such a Gundam nerd who also loves 45s, I own the original singles.

I can't remember what show it was, but there was a mid-00s anime that licensed the original opening song for the first episode but then never used it again throughout the show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:15:39 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Tasty

« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
Found a fanedited Blu-ray rip of the series paired with the original dub... decisions decisions.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
Started to watch an older version, in Japanese, subbed.  :expert

Because the dub was really fucking with my brain, every sentence was so fucking weird, when the subs are just fine.

Himu

« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:39 PM »
Evangelion in English.

Just...why?
IYKYK

« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2019, 03:56:37 PM »
Evangelion in English.

Just...why?

The new dub is legit good, they actually act this time.  Give it 4 eps, like me, you will probably still prefer the Japanese, but anything you're hearing about this being bad is downright nonsense, and people are too blinded by nostalgia, and some terminology they don't like to realize they are full of shit.

Himu

« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Evangelion's dub was never considered Bebop level. It was tolerable at best. So I agree there.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
btw i wasn't talking about the English dub.

thetylerrob

« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
The low points of the original dub are like 4kids level janitor pulled out of the closet to act stuff but I still like it.

Kara

« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
People might be reading this thread and thinking to themselves, "Look at these fools relitigating which anime is better than another, war never changes," but I'm proud that people feel comfortable talking about watching dubs now even though it's incorrect action and they aren't catching flak.

Tolerance and progress. :preach

Himu

« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
Are there any good clips of the new dub?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
Evangelion in English.

Just...why?

Get in the exo suit and eat your hamburgers, Sean Jean !
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »
People might be reading this thread and thinking to themselves, "Look at these fools relitigating which anime is better than another, war never changes," but I'm proud that people feel comfortable talking about watching dubs now even though it's incorrect action and they aren't catching flak.

I never watch dub for movies tbh, but for animated TV stuff, i don't care much.

Anyway, i'm 5 episodes in, and so far the only character i like is Misato.
Oh and Shinji's buddies are alright i guess.
Rei is probably the one i dislike the most, but maybe she's like that because Shinji's father is perving on her, so i won't judge yet.  :doge
Through osmosis, i got that everybody hates Shinji for being a bitch, but so far, his reaction seemed fairly reasonable to me, guy got basically scammed into the frontline.

Himu

« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
The episode where Shinji comes back after quitting and takes it to that angel that had beaten Asuka and Rei is hype as fuck.

Probably my favorite episode.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »

I never watch dub for movies tbh, but for animated TV stuff, i don't care much.

Anyway, i'm 5 episodes in, and so far the only character i like is Misato.
Oh and Shinji's buddies are alright i guess.
Rei is probably the one i dislike the most, but maybe she's like that because Shinji's father is perving on her, so i won't judge yet.  :doge
Through osmosis, i got that everybody hates Shinji for being a bitch, but so far, his reaction seemed fairly reasonable to me, guy got basically scammed into the frontline.

Kaji, Misato, and Asuka are the best characters imo.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »
i'd just like to share that i find eva to be one of the greatest crowning achievements in any medium and i'm excited for anybody who has a chance to experience it for the first time even if the netflix version is significantly less gay

Tasty

« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »
Evangelion in English.

Just...why?

Wait this is a good point... I made myself wait for the 3.33 dub but I forget why... And I carried that attitude forward to today, when deciding which English dub to (re)watch the series with... But I've realized that I'm more of a purist about artistic media than when I committed to waiting for Funimation to put out 3.33, and that honestly, the original (sub) is the closest to the author's intent. In exploring Satoshi Kon's works, I didn't hesitate to go subtitled, and I suppose I owe Anno the same courtesy.

Japanese audio with English subtitles on Netflix it is.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
I like the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to train with DDR.
©@©™

« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2019, 06:29:05 PM »
I’ve never heard either English dub for Evanagelion, I just default to the native language for whatever it is I’m watching, unless I’m watching it (ie. Ghibli stuff) with my daughter who isn’t a quick enough reader yet to handle subtitles.

Bebop’s dub is solid as fuck and works very well, but Koichi Yamadera (who is also Kaji), Megumi Hayashibara (and Rei) and Unsho Ishizkua ARE the defacto crew of the Bebop for me.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:33:10 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Himu

« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »
Sometimes I watch dubbed, sometimes subbed. Mostly subbed. If I think the dub is as good if not better (DBZ Kai) then I watch in English. But mostly I watch any foreign film as intended. The idea of dubbing over Seven Samurai for instance makes me shudder.

I used to be elitist about it but these days I’m relaxed.

It’s just how I prefer to experience foreign media. Whenever America exports something to Saudi Arabia or Japan they tend to watch in English with subtitles. I have talked to numerous online friends from foreign nations, including Wrath, who have told me they learned English by watching our media because it was that prevalent. I feel it’s only respectful to see what other nations that don’t speak our language intended creatively as well.

I also watch depending on immersion level. Like, something like Metal Gear, which mostly stars American characters involving American conflicts just makes sense to me to play in English. But if I’m watching Ghost in the Shell it’s Japanese all the way. If I’m watching something in feudal Japan, it will never be English. Never. Gundam, English. The new Blade Runner Watanabe anime, also English.

So yeah, for me it mostly depends on how I want to experience it as an artistic medium. It really depends.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:26:46 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2019, 08:24:01 PM »
I don't care if people prefer dubs, that's their choice. Just let me watch the movie/show in the language it was originally made in. Videogames, however, don't bug me as much, especially since we don't always get the option.

Gundam in English is weird as fuck since it's basically gigantic metal samurai. Those names sound even more ridiculous.

Also, the Netflix English subs are a bit stilted from personal experience. Not that a more direct translation is bad, but it may come off as weird in a few key scenes.

They are definitely weird in that kind of "no native English speaker actually talks like this" way.

My first experience with Eva was the original ADV single DVD releases that took FORREEEEVVVEEEER to come out starting in 1999. Definitely not the best way to watch the show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:29:16 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Himu

« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »
Eva is one of those cultural corner stone things like Citizen kane where it impacts media after its release. In Eva’s case it goes for the worse. Like I said before, it ruined Japanese storytelling in a big way. But the monster of the week formula works and it really has that going for it.

I might rewatch now that it’s on Netflix and see if my opinion on it has changed any.

It’s still very much”I like it but fuck its legacy.”
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
counterpoint: eva influencing every Japanese game dev and anime studio to randomly throw in a bunch of random religious imagery was cool and good. throwback to reading thirty paragraph connect the dots bullshit posts on the xenosaga gamefaqs subs when I was 12 :lawd

This is why XS was shit and an example of what I'm talking about.

post-Eva japanese storytelling is basically equating convoluted story telling as good. Oh, you need to read a wiki and a gamefaq guide to understand what's going on?

Eva.

Its influence.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2019, 09:09:10 PM »
Xenogears definitely has a solid amount of Eva influence. Aside from the religious themes, you could say that Id is kind of similar to Unit 01's 400% synch state. And IIRC, Krelian is basically pursuing instrumentality.

Sakaguchi gave Takahashi the ball to do his own thing when he was disatisfied and had a shit ton of Evangelion models on his desk.

It goes beyond mecha.

FFVII is far more convoluted than FFVI for example, unnecessarily. Japanese storytelling became,"aren't we deep?" after Eva.

counterpoint: eva influencing every Japanese game dev and anime studio to randomly throw in a bunch of random religious imagery was cool and good. throwback to reading thirty paragraph connect the dots bullshit posts on the xenosaga gamefaqs subs when I was 12 :lawd

Counterpoint: Tetsuya Nomura stories.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
I'm not speaking of Eva here, Esch.

I'm speaking of its legacy. I think those that copied Eva learned the wrong lessons. Eva, for the most part uses the imagery as fat and that's fine. But the other stuff we're talking like Xenosaga? Kingdom Hearts? They certainly don't. They take that cryptic imagery shit very seriously.

Which is why I say I like Eva, but i hate its legacy.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
Kingdom Hearts probably it's greatest sin. At least Xenosaga had trauma and violence.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »
tricking people into thinking video games and anime are art instead of entertainment for children :lawd :rejoice

art.

:what
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »

Kara

« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
tricking people into thinking video games and anime are art instead of entertainment for children :lawd :rejoice

The only reason to post on JRPG forums in the late 90s and early 00s was to laugh at the people who took this stuff way too seriously.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
entertainment for children :lawd :rejoice

big mood
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »

Best moment in the series.

Also, those monster fights. I wasn't surprised when Anno made the second best Godzilla film. :lawd
IYKYK

« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
Anno was also behind the God Warrior in Nausicaa, and all the cosmic horror stuff in Gunbuster.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
While answering an ad in Animage magazine calling for animators for Hayao Miyazaki's 1984 sophomore feature Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Anno would impress Miyazaki so much that he was put in charge of one of the most difficult sequences in the movie: the God Warrior's attack sequence. He would subsequently spend almost every waking hour at Studio Topcraft's offices for the duration of his involvement (the film's complete production would run roughly nine months, and be fraught with borderline-disasters and complications), and would grow so close with Miyazaki that their friendship endures to the present day.

Anno the GOAT. :whew
dog

Himu

« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot we were talking about anime.

Misato best girl, EASY

BEER
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Hold up, i remember reading the manga version of this episode/scene, more than a decade ago.
It's the one were they do ballet lessons.

I watch little to no anime (or cartoons in general) nowadays, but i'll go ahead and say that Ping Pong The Animation qualifies as "art" better than some Oscar Bait like The King's Speech.  :doge
Now if only that was more of a standard for the medium...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:58:42 PM by Don Rumata »

Himu

« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2019, 12:04:52 AM »
my post doesn't include things like satoshi kon movies cuz they're too good to be anime. like a ming vase blooming out of a field of wine mom ceramic class pieces.

This is why animation isn't worth it as a medium. :yeshrug Glad I gave up on it.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »
Make Anime great Again? :thinking

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:29 AM »
Imagine watching anime when manga exists :snob

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2019, 03:03:55 AM »
my post doesn't include things like satoshi kon movies cuz they're too good to be anime. like a ming vase blooming out of a field of wine mom ceramic class pieces.

It's a flawless argument, if you accept to leave out everything that contradicts it ?

:confused

It's possible to not take too seriously anime (or any cultural field, mass media one in particular) and still enjoy when it occasionally gets elevated above consumer targeted mediocrity.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2019, 03:44:41 AM »
I like the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to train with DDR.

I think it's my favourite episode, really.

Also, something I'm a bit confused on, it seems Anno took the swerve into moving away from the mythology angle into exploring depression in the last few episodes "midway through development".

Is there any interviews out there on how late in production it was decided on? It seems wild to see how well they appropriated the reoccurring scenes in the last few episodes if they really did it in the 11th hour.

I'm sure an EvaHead has some interview ready ? But I don't think the switch was that drastic or sudden at the production level. The tone doesn't so much shift than drift. My fanwank is that narrative expediency and budget issues (perhaps in part caused by a change in priorities) accounts for quite a bit in the individual pacing of episodes getting a bit erratic towards the end.
ὕβρις