Poll

When will Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time be released?

3 (23.1%)
Before 2029
3 (23.1%)
Maybe Next Decade
5 (38.5%)
Never
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: You know, Shinji, we really are the End of Evangelion.  (Read 76427 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
Better Eva 4.0 camrip w/ENG SUBS:

@1:51 when it takes the guy a few seconds to plug in the USB the right way, possibly the realest scene ever put to film  :noah
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
I can't wait to see whatever non-explanation they will go for who Mary is. Per interviews, they threw a lot of ideas around but they didn't really know even after finishing the second film or preparing the third one IIRC.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »
All the cryptic nonsense is just bait. You gain no greater insight into anything by deciphering it.

Enjoy the robot battles and broken adults dumping the fate of the world on traumatized teens.

Yeah, the one thing in SF fandom worse than worship of Star Trek technobabble is worship of Eva's spiritual-psycho-technobabble. Ew.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2019, 02:18:59 AM »
worship of Star Trek technobabble
U leave my dilithium crystals alone :ufup

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2019, 02:26:33 AM »
Kaworu getting one episode :nope

Kaworu getting a whole movie :ohyeah

well...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
he could be in this one.  if this is in fact a reboot sequel to the original anime as hinted, then their should be a second kaworu.
thats why he told shinji he would meet again someday / everyone confused at their being a 13th angel / two lances etc
[close]

anyway cgi aside that trailer was aite. The music was fire as usual at least
萌え~

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2019, 04:25:07 AM »
worship of Star Trek technobabble
U leave my dilithium crystals alone :ufup

I'm less concerned about dilithium crystals than re-routing the tractor beam through the deflector dish, but phase-shifting its harmonics so it acts as a propulsion method, like a Venetian gondolier's staff.

::)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2019, 08:14:19 AM »
So you mean discovery, yeah no one likes that :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:42 AM »
Those two final episodes...  :ohyou "Se you in 2 years with the movie, bitch!" (I know they ran out of money).

Also what the fuck, the white haired guy is in ONE fucking episode? i saw him spammed everywhere throughout the years, and he has like 15 lines.

Well, i'll watch EoE, but so far i liked it quite a bit.
I don't think it's as good as Monster (let alone Ping Pong, which for me is the golden standard) but it goes into some really interesting places with the characters (especially the adults).
I wish it didn't feel the need to repeat the same thing 50 times though, it gets annoying when the characters scream in your ear their inner thoughts 5 times per episode.

Misato started as the best character, and kept the crown, but i also like Ritsuko and her relationship with Ikari.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:49:51 AM by Don Rumata »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Misato started as the best character, and kept the crown, but i also like Ritsuko and her relationship with Ikari.

Just wait until you see EoE.  :tocry
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
No, no.gif

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »
Misato will always be the sane cultured man's choice

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
Ritsuko is a good character yeah, and I think her mommy issues are more interesting on the screen than Misato (being much more material).

Gendo Ikari is sort of a control freak black sun, he's only interesting when contrasted with everyone interacting with him (Ritsuko esp.). He really is The Man, man.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
Ritsuko is a good character yeah, and I think her mommy issues are more interesting on the screen than Misato (being much more material).

Gendo Ikari is sort of a control freak black sun, he's only interesting when contrasted with everyone interacting with him (Ritsuko esp.). He really is The Man, man.
Yes, although the little they show of him in the Prof's flashback, it's kind of intriguing in itself.
Him being a rough delinquent type, and taking his wife's surname...

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
Gendo's scheming is so good. Cryptic politicking in dark rooms. :lawd

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
Misato will always be the sane cultured man's choice

(Image removed from quote.)
You're not supposed to want to fuck any of them, they are all fundamentally broken in some way.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any choice is acceptable besides Mari tbh, you can't just throw a new random fetish girl into a series that's already been around for decades c'mon man.
[close]
Hi

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
Who said anything about fucking? We respect waifus in a platonic way here at the bore.

:fabulous
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzpsvEehosZ/?igshid=hrg4woxahg2w

:dead

yas kween

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
Misato is manipulative and desperate, and continues on her bullshit after she gets moments of self-awareness.

:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
Misato is manipulative and desperate, and continues on her bullshit after she gets moments of self-awareness.

Rei >>>
She's got big responsibilities, bud.  ::)
Meanwhile, Rei is basically Ikari's Anime Pillow project.  :doge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »

Congratulations
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #320 on: July 09, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
Watched EoE.
Animation was really great, and that fight with E02 was baller as fuck, of course.
I went in with the impression that it'd be a sequel to the show, but it's basically a repeat of the last two episodes, just not in storyboard version.

I mean i'll just echo the sentiment i had for the last two episodes, it would've been (more) beautiful, if it didn't feel the need to spell out so much through words, in my opinion.
Cinema is a visual medium, animation in particular, and what is there is very well made, so i don't think it needed so much script to go with it, it just detracts bit by bit from the power of it all.
I'll compare it to Twin Peaks The Return episode 8, even though they're very different, just to point at an example of what i'm talking about (or the ending of 2001 if you prefer).

But this is anime, and as i said in the past page, being over written is sort of part of its essence.
-
So ok that aside, one thing that i didn't like, was the character development of Shinji, to me felt like it made a jump into a Flanderization in between ep. 24 (or even 26) and EoE.
The Shinji of EoE is definitely the one i got to know through osmosis all these years, whereas the one in the actual show, just felt more like a mellow but normal kid. I felt like a step was missing between the two, despite him going more and more mad was supposed to be the point of it all.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #321 on: July 09, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
But the scream/sound effect the Evas make is fucking  :o
And those white Evas were cool as shit.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.  :japancry

Tasty

« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
Shit happened in ep24 that made Shinji the way he was in EoE, I would think...

As for talking vs. showing, I generally agree, but there really isn't much dialog in the last third, and the sandbox scene is baffling yet intriguing.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »
Shit happened in ep24 that made Shinji the way he was in EoE, I would think...

As for talking vs. showing, I generally agree, but there really isn't much dialog in the last third, and the sandbox scene is baffling yet intriguing.
Yeah however seeing as how 25 and 26 tell the same story (more or less) the transition from 24 to 25/26, compared to the transition from 24 to EoE (character-wise) for Shinji, felt more natural to me.
The opening wack off scene made thematical sense, but still felt a bit forced and out of character for example.

To be honest i'd have to rewatch it to make up my mind, because it's more of a feeling i had while watching than any precise moment i can point out, it felt like they shifted the tone to something darker, despite the final episodes being pretty devoid of humor already, and in doing so, exacerbated one aspect of Shinji's character to arrive at the narrative's thematical conclusion.
-
Anyway, the sandbox scene reminded me of the Akira finale (also involving a big ass explosion and an almost "reset" of the universe, lol).
Also, usually i don't care for meta narratives, but the live action shots fit well in here, i thought.

EDIT: Now that i think about it, another problem i have with Shinji's development is that the key shift has to do with Kowaru, but his relationship with him is so brief and rushed, that feels less earned than something like Koji's (more or less equal) scene prior to that.
Of course Kowaru being a supernatural entity has a different function from a plot standpoint, but from Shinji's pov it was yet another character to give him love and validation.

I think a more relaxed pace, spread over double the episodes maybe, could've worked in its favor.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:21:42 PM by Don Rumata »

Tasty

« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
Live action shots worked because it was still fictional characters in a "fictional" setting. Some of the text was from IRL death threats, but the live action scenes have their own story:

So it wasn't necessarily breaking any kind of fourth wall, instead showing how different and alien alternate realities could be.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
Live action shots worked because it was still fictional characters in a "fictional" setting. Some of the text was from IRL death threats, but the live action scenes have their own story:

So it wasn't necessarily breaking any kind of fourth wall, instead showing how different and alien alternate realities could be.
Well, anything is inherently fictional, by the show's own words, once it gets interpreted by one own's mind, and becomes part of their internal "reality"  :-*; but i'll say the dude giving the thumbs up to the camera, in one of those theater shots counts, as breaking the 4th wall.  :doge

shosta

« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »
It's not just about Kaworu. I think some reflection on what Shinji goes through between episodes 19 (da best episode) and 25 is called for. When Shinji talks to Kaji in Episode 19, that's the last time until the movie that Shinji mans up and decides for himself that he has a responsibility to pilot Evas - even though only bad things ever happen to him while he does. It's all downhill from there, significantly worse than the stress he went through for the first 75% of the show. He's stuck in quantum limbo for a month. Asuka becomes comatose. Rei dies in front of him. Everyone in the GeoFront is evacuated - the only normal part of his life (school, having non-NERV friends) disappears. Kaji dies. Misato becomes completely emotionally distant because of that. Shinji finds out that the new Rei is a clone. He has everything in his life taken away from him all over again just after he decided that he would put up with being a pilot for the sake of humanity.

That's the context of episode 24. He has nothing, and then suddenly he has a friend. And then he has to kill his friend. It's like killing the only possibility of him having a life outside of Nerv with any semblance of emotional closeness to someone else. So given that, I didn't feel a disconnect between ep 24 and the movie's despondent, defeated Shinji. That would break any kid.
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2019, 12:10:57 AM »
A friend of mine just watched Eva for first time on Netflix including EoE. I told them they should watch the sequel series Eva Rebuild next, but it doesn't look like it's available legally anywhere online? They don't play videogames so don't have a BD player, so dunno best way for them to watch them.

shosta

« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2019, 12:24:58 AM »
kissanime, but stay away from those horrible dubs
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2019, 02:03:34 AM »
watch the dubs  :cody

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2019, 06:14:12 AM »
Friendly Reminder: The span of time between the first episode of Evangelion and Evangelion 1.0 was ~12 years. This is almost the same amount of time that's passed between Evangelion 1.0's release and now.

wat
is Time just trolling all of us??? what is ur deal Time???
QED

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »
It's not just about Kaworu. I think some reflection on what Shinji goes through between episodes 19 (da best episode) and 25 is called for. When Shinji talks to Kaji in Episode 19, that's the last time until the movie that Shinji mans up and decides for himself that he has a responsibility to pilot Evas - even though only bad things ever happen to him while he does. It's all downhill from there, significantly worse than the stress he went through for the first 75% of the show. He's stuck in quantum limbo for a month. Asuka becomes comatose. Rei dies in front of him. Everyone in the GeoFront is evacuated - the only normal part of his life (school, having non-NERV friends) disappears. Kaji dies. Misato becomes completely emotionally distant because of that. Shinji finds out that the new Rei is a clone. He has everything in his life taken away from him all over again just after he decided that he would put up with being a pilot for the sake of humanity.

That's the context of episode 24. He has nothing, and then suddenly he has a friend. And then he has to kill his friend. It's like killing the only possibility of him having a life outside of Nerv with any semblance of emotional closeness to someone else. So given that, I didn't feel a disconnect between ep 24 and the movie's despondent, defeated Shinji. That would break any kid.
Yeah it's why i'm saying i need a rewatch, 'cause in the second half there's so much shit you're trying to pay attention to, that i feel like i want to watch it again to digest it better.
That said, it was more of a criticism of the pace with which the information and (character) development is doled out, than the events themselves.
That's what i meant, when i said that it felt like they skipped a step.

However the last act of the show it's also supposed to feel very overwhelming and confusing.

shosta

« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »

I like these songs. A lot. How does such a depressing movie have such nice sounding, easy-going songs? :tocry
每天生气

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:46 AM »
What the fuck is wrong with you people? This show had no fucking ending. No one warned me the last two episodes are complete gibberish. I get that they needed long monologues to save animation budget but they don't explain a fucking thing. In fact it's just an excuse to repeat the same lines over and over like a mixture of pop psychology with anorcho-agitprop written by someone who heard the word nihilist one time. Fuck this show, I'm having to google what, how and why everything happened.

Just goddamn.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:03 AM »
What the fuck is wrong with you people? This show had no fucking ending. No one warned me the last two episodes are complete gibberish. I get that they needed long monologues to save animation budget but they don't explain a fucking thing. In fact it's just an excuse to repeat the same lines over and over like a mixture of pop psychology with anorcho-agitprop written by someone who heard the word nihilist one time. Fuck this show, I'm having to google what, how and why everything happened.

Just goddamn.

congratulations
萌え~

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2019, 12:26:19 AM »

Just goddamn.

Great news, brawndolicious! End of Evangelion is available on Netflix now!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2019, 04:26:09 AM »
At the very start of Ep.26 they almost literally say "It'd take too long to show all this shit, so we'll focus on Shinji some more".  :doge
They certainly weren't trying to shy away from the fact that they ran out of funds.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2019, 04:35:52 AM »

Just goddamn.

I told you about the stairs.
ὕβρις

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:00 AM »
Friends, just finished the show. Is there any reason to watch the recap movie? Or should I just skip to End of Evangelion?
Margs

shosta

« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2019, 06:54:33 AM »
No reason to watch recap movie. End of Evangelion is a masterpiece, watch that.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2019, 07:11:40 AM »
watch the dubs

BIONIC

« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
Good to know, thanks.
Margs

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »

Just goddamn.

dog

Tasty

« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

BIONIC

« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
Disgusting.
Margs

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2019, 11:07:15 AM »

Just goddamn.

congratulations

congratulations
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2019, 07:28:10 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
Androids 17 and 18: *laughs*

kingv

« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
Watched the first two episodes and that scene where old boy nuts for Asuka.

I question his devotion, a 2 roper at best.

Interested in the rest of the series, but I though the sexy time anime shot was sort of over the top even in the first 2 episodes. Like the adult chick that Shinji is staying with leaning over the table at him and shit.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »

Interested in the rest of the series, but I though the sexy time anime shot was sort of over the top even in the first 2 episodes. Like the adult chick that Shinji is staying with leaning over the table at him and shit.

Asuka isn’t even in the first two episodes, did you watch End of Evangelion first or something? :lol
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2019, 01:00:33 AM »
They arent robots though :maf :hmph :trigger

Tasty

« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »

Machine Mutants?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2019, 07:15:48 AM »

Machine Mutants?
They're just genetically engineered humans, no robotech.

Tasty

« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
I was making a GT reference :(

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
I never watched GT, well a few eps when i was a kid, but i immediately formatted that part of my brain.  :derp :hans1

Tasty

« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:15 AM »
You're better off than me then, I still have bits of GT lodged in there :lol

kingv

« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »

Asuka isn’t even in the first two episodes, did you watch End of Evangelion first or something? :lol

Just that particular scene from it. Sounded really weird, so I had to check it out. Will watch the full thing once I actually get there

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
Wait, there's more to watch after EoE? Give me a quick guide/rundown.

BIONIC

« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
Wait, there's more to watch after EoE? Give me a quick guide/rundown.

From Wikipedia, it seems like a reboot of the series consisting of 4 movies. Last one is supposedly coming out next year.
Margs