Poll

When will Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time be released?

3 (23.1%)
Before 2029
3 (23.1%)
Maybe Next Decade
5 (38.5%)
Never
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: You know, Shinji, we really are the End of Evangelion.  (Read 75648 times)

Chooky

Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!
« Reply #420 on: July 21, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »
oh and also fuck jeffrey epstein or whoever the fuck directed 2.22 because oh my fucking god how many creep shots of 14-year-old ass can you fit into two hours? every other fucking scene had a bunch of teenage skin and it threw off the whole damn movie.

kingv

« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:45 AM »
Is that the one that had Asuka getting into the bath?

They even draw her like a 10 year old boy.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2019, 12:59:12 AM »
Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

:lawd

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2019, 01:51:04 AM »
Right, that's, yup
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #424 on: July 22, 2019, 02:18:55 AM »
Part 3 is creator wank but it's glorious, glorious spunk visually at times, some shots are up there with EoE. It scratches that AKIRA itch.

I did scrub from my mind that the second film was really bad about the pervy shots with Asuka (up to having a meta joke about the test suit). I mostly give Eva a pass on that shit because it is not meaningless, internalizes the criticism and depicts it somewhat "realistically" as awkward, gross and with the kids being appropriately innocent about it (That whole Asuka and Kaji thing). It goes into very uncomfortable territory by the end but it is acknowledged for the fucked up thing it is. Arguably none of the weapon-grade ether in the subtext deterred creepy anime fans of buying their action figures & having waifu wars and the show is trying to eat its cake and have it too but I never felt the pandering got too overt. You had Misato being a playful tease (in universe and over the fourth wall in the "coming next" outro) only for the depiction of any intimacy getting more and more depressing.

The films and especially that second one... Not so much. I like Mari quite a bit despite how paper thin she is, but it's pretty obvious she was inserted to have new figurines to sell first, as a narrative element second (as I mentioned earlier). And there's straight up fan service and low angle shots up her skirt.
ὕβρις

Chooky

« Reply #425 on: July 22, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
alright i watched Eva 3 aaaaaannnd... what the fucking fuck was that? what was the point of all that?

maybe i'm too attached to the original series, maybe it's because i don't like most anime in general, but this whole Rebuild series feels soulless. original Eva had a central theme - the whole thing was about exploring depression against a backdrop of big-ass robots and a cryptic plot. Rebuild throws away the depression leaves us with big battles and a super contrived plot. there's no overarching theme, no bigger message, just "wow look at these visuals! check out this plot twist!" and it's fucking boring because of that. well, the movies aren't really bad or anything, just shallow. i'm disappointed, but ultimately it doesn't matter because i can go back to ignoring these movies and still watch the originals whenever.

« Reply #426 on: July 22, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
My take on the rebuilds so far, is that it's a cycle, Shinji is trying to be a little more self actualized and do things for himself not for others, but still winds up fucking it all up.  While he's being kept in the dark, and everyone is dunking on him, Kaworu shows up again, befriends him, gets Shinji to open up, and once again the tragic part of the cycle repeats, but this time with a more confident Shinji thinking he can proactively change his situation.  Except in actuality, he's been manipulated the entire time into thinking he's acting on his own, and everything goes horribly wrong _again_, the impact of which we don't know until the next movie comes out.

Where the originals are about being in the midst of depression, this rebuild might be about trying to break out of it and get better, and not always succeeding.  I have to rewatch though, it's been a while and I'm going from memory.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #427 on: July 23, 2019, 01:26:39 AM »
So far the main purpose of the films (without going into the ultra fan wankery of time loops and such) seems indeed to say that it's not a matter of Shinji being more proactive to fix things. It's fuzzy and not entirely convincing but I'm all in for the ridiculously over the top sound and visuals (That asteroid Angel fight in part 2, with all the Tokyo-3 crazy defense infrastructure being put to use, every action piece and 3 and the apocalyptic weird imagery in 3). Part 3 earned a lot of good will for me with its completely nonsensical story twist that I hope can being some interesting freshness to the Shinji / Asuka dynamic. Rei also might be headed to a new direction that could be interesting. But I agree it's a lot of leads and not not much substance this far and it is more likely than not that part 4 is not going to magically realize all the potential.

The films started as completely soulless, I suspect, and Khara has just decided to have fun with the opportunity and money offered to indulge in a big self referential wank (the whole Nadia thing) and visual excesses... but then again, it's pretty on brand for Gainax peeps. The third film is overall shaky but it has some of the best framing and sequences of the whole franchise. Great use of the aspect ratio and an amazing job done with all the Eva cockpit interface as a visual element (and the use of depth of field etc). The technology fetish is similarly true to the original and one of the reasons I like it.

Unrelated aside : I probably mentioned it eslewhere but the first Angel we see Asuka fighting in part 2 (the clock one) had a radical redesign from its relative in the original series because the whole design documents for the original monster were apparently lost.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #428 on: July 23, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
Films cannot go as deep into character stuff as a series can, so the Rebuilds were always going to have to take a different tack to really suit the format. Anno knows this and he has an amazing cinematic eye.

I don't think Anno was done saying what he had to say about Eva with EoE -- he freely collaborated on that PS2 game of all things, etc. And I'm sure he was still observing things like fan-culture in the 2000s, etc. So I reject the notion that financial incentive played an outsized or majority role in the Rebuild series development.

Tasty

« Reply #429 on: July 23, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »

Chooky

« Reply #430 on: July 23, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »
die with me, senpai

kingv

« Reply #431 on: July 23, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
I just finished End of Evangelion, and honestly, I like the original ending better.

I feel like EoE was actually created as sort of a fuck you to the fans, I.e. “you said you wanted more explicit closure, and I’m going to give it to you, but it’s going to be even less satisfying”. Some of the parts were obviously explicitly criticizing fan culture, but some of it profoundly changes the interpretation of the characters.

In the regular series, by the end you understand that all of these people are fundamentally broken, and there is a sort of symmetry to all their problems. The ending explores whether or not this is intrinsic to them, or whether a different world could have turned them into healthier people. And that gives Shinji a realization that nobody will help him until he helps himself.

In EoE shinji is really unsympathetic, imo. He’s just a huge little bitch.

Asuka’s redemption arc is kind of interesting, but removes all the depth from the character. She’s more interesting in the series as this scared little girl who wants attention but doesn’t really understand what she’s doing because she’s broken by having a broken childhood.

Misato loses some sympathy by her manipulation of shinji with the sex thing in EoE. In the series, I think her pass at him can be interpreted as her also being broken inside, and not really understanding what shinji needs. She can only think of trying to solve his problems in one way, even if it’s inappropriate and won’t really his problems.

I also think the more mechanical elements of the plot were both better and worse. If both Seele and Director
Ikari are trying to cause human instrumentality, it’s not clear why Seele had to invade Nerv. And all of the parts with rei turning into a giant and stigmata in unit 01 and the mass production Eva’s, just seem like nonsense. But it’s a lot more clear that everyone turned into juice and to some extent the motivation for why.

Also the dub seems very literal. Imo the best ending would be parts of EOE with a better produced ending from the last 2 episodes of the series.

kingv

« Reply #432 on: July 23, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
I also didn’t really understand why shinji is choking Asuka, and then why he does it again when he wakes up.

I think in the series it’s more like Asuka and shinji have a complicated relationship, and her hate isn’t really hate and is more like neither character possesses the ability to express or process their emotions healthily. I think you kind of see that here too, but it just makes shinji into a super pathetic asshole.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: July 23, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #434 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
On choking :phil

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The final choking is very much a twisted way to make sure they're alive. Maybe in story there's a shame element with the whole jacking it off to her comatose. Can't express loving intimacy so I'll go for painnsort of thing. I think it's an optimistic one because she chose to come back and she berates him but not in that angry irrational attitude and he also ultimately accept to face moral judgement from Asuka. I don't have very deep things to say about that but I think it's more concrete and physical. The TV series always left me a bit cold because there's really no way to tell that's it's not just Shinji just putting a show for himself in a LCL fever dream. It's basically all inner talk, no acts.

The military invasion serves the same purpose, it's much more material. It's the irruption of reality, real war and real soldiers in the fairly sanitized conflict NERV has been running. It serves as a contrast and further commentary on just how ludicrous and implausible the premise of entrusting humanity to basically a high tech summer camp with surprisingly poor foresight. Same with the terrifying sequences of people getting turned into LCL.

I also prefer the meaner, apocalyptic streak overall but I know it's not to everyone's taste. And yeah Shinji get dragged pretty hard... Then again, him being apathetic and shell shocked by episode 24 is more plausible to me than suddenly overcoming a full Freud menu of traumas with an introductory group session of therapy.
[close]
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
I didn't think it was to make sure they were still alive, I thought that Shinji was still overwhelmed by his vulnerability and his violent rage toward her because of her rejection of him during instrumentation.
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #436 on: July 23, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Gendo's only concerned with reuniting with his waifu (i.e. chaotic instrumentality) whereas SEELE is either concerned with evolving all of humanity or becoming Cymeks (depending on whether or not you consider the Playstation 2 game canon).

« Reply #437 on: July 23, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »
The FU to fans thing is an urban legend.  The dub is not at all "literal", unless you're referring to the 1:1 use of show specific terminology, like "third children" which IS kept in tact for the first time.  The actual phrasing and dialogue outside of show specific terminology is well localized.  Accurate, but still localized.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #438 on: July 23, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
Gendo's only concerned with reuniting with his waifu (i.e. chaotic instrumentality) whereas SEELE is either concerned with evolving all of humanity or becoming Cymeks (depending on whether or not you consider the Playstation 2 game canon).

To be fair Ikari's mother is pretty high on her own farts as well. I purged the details but basically isn't the whole idea to turn Eva into space gods / vessels / testament to Humanity / Noah's ark.

In real life you know NERV would be bursting with SEELE bureaucrats in every office right from the get go and Ikari couldn't buy a new pair of glasses without approval from 6 departements. They seemed shockingly OK with entrusting the whole project to half a dozen shady people with massive psychological issues relying on two or three pawns of questionable loyalty to puppet master the most important thing in the history of our species.
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #439 on: July 23, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
I didn't think it was to make sure they were still alive, I thought that Shinji was still overwhelmed by his vulnerability and his violent rage toward her because of her rejection of him during instrumentation.

That was what didn’t make sense to me.

So they can truly read each other’s inner heart, and it’s at that point that Asuka fully rejects shinji?

It just felt false to me, like it didn’t add up. It seemed clear to me in the series that Shinji has strong feelings for Asuka, and that she in turn has some feelings for him, but that both of them are so fucked up that it expresses itself in weird ways. It’s that theme of duality of love and hate, and a look at teenage (and adult really) love and sexuality and the complications that arise from people being more scared of being hurt or rejected than they are of wanting to express their true selves.

I also though her arguments Asuka makes to  shinji in instrumentality didn’t hold up well. She keeps saying “you always come to me because it’s easy” but Shinji never really came to anyone. The only time he tries to get Asuka to help him is when she is in a coma. The rest of the time he’s just crying to himself and avoiding any situation where he would have to give the help that he himself wants.

On the one hand, because of instrumentality she can see that he fired off a nut to her boob. But on the other hand she should be able to also see how upset he was when he couldn’t help her in the later episode. But also, I guess, she sees what a coward he was in EoE.

I did like the circular nature of Gendo and shinji though. They are basically the same thing and shinjis problems come from Gendo trying to help shinji by not exposing him to his problems or st least that’s how he rationalizes it.

kingv

« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
The FU to fans thing is an urban legend.  The dub is not at all "literal", unless you're referring to the 1:1 use of show specific terminology, like "third children" which IS kept in tact for the first time.  The actual phrasing and dialogue outside of show specific terminology is well localized.  Accurate, but still localized.

I guess I just mean the dub is not as good as the new one then. There are a number of parts where it goes into anime robotic phrasing that’s sounds unnatural. Especially when they start talking about instrumentality stuff near the end, but also the way Asuka talks about her mom being in the Eva. It just falls a little flat because the phrasing is weird.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
She keeps saying “you always come to me because it’s easy” but Shinji never really came to anyone.

Well, she's projecting quite a bit. She's the one that arrives into Japan expecting Shinji to be her sidekick and arguably she's the one coming on to him (awkwardly). There's some truth to it in the sense that Shinji might purposefully crash into her constant passive-aggressiveness to justify his self pity. In a sense she's as much as a morality pet to him as Rei. It's a toxic, abusive circle for both of them. That they both decided to come back nonetheless... Make of that what you will. I think the series finale is too Shinji centered and that the film does a better job at showing that in the Instrumentality everyone has to simultaneously try to cope. Asuka is her own pile of issues and she wasn't suddenly going to drop her pretences, no less than Shinji.

In short, Asuka is the real heroin and protagonist. :derp
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
I do like the theme of “maybe you don’t actually want to be able to see exactly what everybody thinks”.

One of the things the series does really well is being concrete in some sense, but having things open enough to interpret it in different ways.

I like basically all the characters better without EoE. They felt more nuanced to me, like flawed people trying to cope. In EoE they felt like they were just bad people.

I also didn’t get the sense that only Asuka and shinji came back. But I guess it never really says either way.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
I also didn’t get the sense that only Asuka and shinji came back. But I guess it never really says either way.

More might, or did elsewhere. Still significant she did.
ὕβρις

Chooky

« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
there's a line near the end about how anyone can come back if something something I forgot, but i see no reason to believe that only shinji and Asuka would come back while everyone else stayed together forever.

« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:43 PM »

I guess I just mean the dub is not as good as the new one then. There are a number of parts where it goes into anime robotic phrasing that’s sounds unnatural. Especially when they start talking about instrumentality stuff near the end, but also the way Asuka talks about her mom being in the Eva. It just falls a little flat because the phrasing is weird.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, which dub did you watch?  Netflix or Manga Ent?  Netflix would be the "new" dub.  I'm not up to EoE again yet (watched 21 today), but I did watch several key sequences including the "I don't want to die" sequence in EoE.  I think the delivery is spot on in the netflix dub compared to the Japanese personally.

kingv

« Reply #446 on: July 23, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Oh, EoE was also redubbed? I didn’t realize that.

Huh, not sure I didn’t think it was as good then.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #447 on: July 23, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
So many words about Eva. If we had people arguing about subs versus dubs (instead of comparing dubs to dubs) this thread would be straight out of 2000 forums discourse. The GOAT. :lawd

Chooky

« Reply #448 on: July 23, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »
am i misremembering, or was there a scene in the series where

yui sees gendo being intimate with ritsuko's mom, and in response does whatever magic thing puts her inside an eva? or was that something my brain made up over the years?
[close]

Chooky

« Reply #449 on: July 23, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »
So many words about Eva. If we had people arguing about subs versus dubs (instead of comparing dubs to dubs) this thread would be straight out of 2000 forums discourse. The GOAT. :lawd

dub defenders are worse than maga choads. discuss.

shosta

« Reply #450 on: July 23, 2019, 08:56:51 PM »

yui sees gendo being intimate with ritsuko's mom, and in response does whatever magic thing puts her inside an eva? or was that something my brain made up over the years?
[close]
Yui had already fallen victim to her contact experiment before Ritsuko's mom ends up in Eva-00 (that last bit is my interpretation, it's never stated but I felt like that's why Eva-00 kept trying to kill Rei).
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
Yeah, I didn’t think that was that obvious at all.

I think it fits, but maybe not the only explanation.

For sure I think that End of Evangelion is better executed, but I just think that the idea behind the original ending was better.

The congratulations and clapping at the very end should have been cut though, it was really dumb.

shosta

« Reply #452 on: July 23, 2019, 09:02:50 PM »
I had a mega huge carepost about how good the tv ending was THAT NO ONE LIKED :busta but the tl;dr is that while EoE is a cooler movie that does everything good, the final two episodes had the more impactful depiction of instrumentation, the psychological aspects of the main characters, etc. Watching EoE's instrumentation monologues after I had just seen the original finale left me wanting.
每天生气

kingv

Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!t
« Reply #453 on: July 23, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »

[close]
Yui had already fallen victim to her contact experiment before Ritsuko's mom ends up in Eva-00 (that last bit is my interpretation, it's never stated but I felt like that's why Eva-00 kept trying to kill Rei).

I thought Ritsuko’s mom was in one of the magi?

I’m pretty sure Eva-00 is actually Rei #1’s soul. There’s an exchange in one of the first episodes where people think unit 00 is trying to kill rei but Ritsuko is like “I know it’s trying to kill me” and then when they show the Eva view of the situation Ritsuko has black hair like her mom indicating that she might think Ritsuko is her mom.

kingv

« Reply #454 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
I had a mega huge carepost about how good the tv ending was THAT NO ONE LIKED :busta but the tl;dr is that while EoE is a cooler movie that does everything good, the final two episodes had the more impactful depiction of instrumentation, the psychological aspects of the main characters, etc. Watching EoE's instrumentation monologues after I had just seen the original finale left me wanting.

:rejoice :science :isthis :snob :preach

Share your care post.

« Reply #455 on: July 23, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »

[close]

I’m pretty sure Eva-00 is actually Rei #1’s soul. There’s an exchange in one of the first episodes where people think unit 00 is trying to kill rei but Ritsuko is like “I know it’s trying to kill me” and then when they show the Eva view of the situation Ritsuko has black hair like her mom indicating that she might think Ritsuko is her mom.

I believe it's Ritsuko's mom as well, and it works because Ritsuko is also having an fling with Gendo, which gives Eva-00 Mom the impetus to hate her daughter.  She already hated Rei.

Ritsuko's mom is not "in" the magi, except in that she designed them in her image.  They were completed before she killed herself.  They are bio-computers though, which is why they got brains.

« Reply #456 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »

[close]

Its Ritsuko seeing her Mom be intimate with Gendo, not  Yui.  It's in ep 21.  This also kinda relates to what I was saying above, since in a way Ritsuko repeats some of the mistakes of her mother.

To be fair, the dub is the newest thing about this show in 20 years, and it's arguably done well this time, so it's actually watchable for the first time in English.

I still prefer the Japanese, I always will.  But if you've seen the show many many times over, the new netflix dub is now a suitable way to watch the show, where as previously it was not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:57:56 PM by pancakesandsex »

Chooky

« Reply #457 on: July 23, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
evageeks has a page on why unit 00 might have rei 1's soul, and it's pretty convincing:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Eva-00%27s_soul

i don't think it would be ritsuko's mom, as she completely fucking hated rei so why in god's name would they ever try to pair her up with another rei?

kingv

« Reply #458 on: July 23, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »

After reading this, I became convinced it was Rei I’s soul there’s a fair amount of supporting evidence over multiple episodes:
- it wanting to kill Roku two
- Shinji sees rei in Unit-00 when he syncs with it
- rei says something about “the other me, the one in the Eva” at some point.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #459 on: July 24, 2019, 01:51:49 AM »

dub defenders are worse than maga choads. discuss.
I agree, but everyone should still watch the dubs

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #460 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:39 AM »
decades on and still the debate rages
how does The Master do it?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #461 on: July 24, 2019, 02:34:44 AM »

She's all three of the supercomputers making up MAGI, each representing a different facet of her personality.

I thought it was a different technology entirely and that her soul wasn't imprinted, she just programmed MAGI as a approximate mirror of her personality but the EvaGeeks wiki says they used the same means to duplicate personalities despite MAGI having AFAIK no organic parts.

:yeshrug
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #462 on: July 24, 2019, 03:02:44 AM »
As for the Eva 00 I always thought it was a Rei clone (or a second generation copy of Yui) and that the dysfunctions were because inserting Rei into Rei was prone to generate some issues.
ὕβρις

« Reply #463 on: July 24, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »

After reading this, I became convinced it was Rei I’s soul there’s a fair amount of supporting evidence over multiple episodes:
- it wanting to kill Roku two
- Shinji sees rei in Unit-00 when he syncs with it
- rei says something about “the other me, the one in the Eva” at some point.

That's interesting.  Good read.

kingv

« Reply #464 on: July 24, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
Netflix doesn’t have Evangelion rebuild? What kind of trash operation are they running out there?!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
Finished the TV series, that was some galaxy brain stuff  :brain
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #466 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »
All of Evangelion is extremely galaxy brain, and Anno has been pretty open about the fact that a lot of it is in there just because he thought it looked/sounded cool.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #468 on: July 29, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »

kingv

« Reply #469 on: July 29, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
Wouldn’t that make 2.5 men a ripoff of Evangelion?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #470 on: July 29, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »

Neo Genesis Evanjelion only came out like a month ago.
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #471 on: July 29, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
But on the other hand, 2&½;men RE:build - You are (NOT) the father, comes out next year.

Tasty

« Reply #472 on: July 29, 2019, 11:17:04 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »

Neo Genesis Evanjelion only came out like a month ago.

Neon Glenesis Evanglenion.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »

Kara

Tasty

« Reply #478 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

:rejoice