Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 189757 times)

DJ Bedroom

Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1620 on: November 19, 2020, 11:55:19 PM »
I was not expecting that tonight when dumping COD off for Demon Souls. Finding the games for these new systems in store has been almost a similar affair to the consoles themselves and getting them. I’ve been looking all over for Demon Souls at Target.
Really? Only the Walmart near me is sold out, but the best buy and target has all the launch games in stock

Svejk

« Reply #1621 on: November 20, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
I come downstairs this morning and walk by the PS5, and the orange standby light was pulsing slowly, and the DS controller that's been plugged up to the front via USB, had it's charge glowing too... my initial thought, "sweet. the latest update allowed front USB port charging in standby too".... then after a few seconds, it stops....   :huh   Does it kick in standby/low power mode when an update comes in and then shut down again?  I dunno.  Weird.   
I do know that I'm having serious withdraws.. haven't been able to play it since last Saturday, I've been so busy.  :noah

Bebpo

« Reply #1622 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »
So I've never had an issue with the small hard drive spaces in PS4, but PS5's stupid bullshit "other" category is crap.

It basically installs PS4 games almost twice, because you get them in the game storage category with the full size and then each PS4 game adds like 20gb+ to "other" storage unless you keep them on an external drive.

My "other" category is 114gb of the 667gb right now and I'm down to 94gb free. Had to delete Demon's Souls & EDF5 to get to 150gb free again.

Going to buy a stupid external drive to keep the PS4 games on since supposedly that drops "Other" down to 13gb and should free up most of the drive. Just need to figure out what a good external drive is.

Svejk

« Reply #1623 on: November 20, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »
So I've never had an issue with the small hard drive spaces in PS4, but PS5's stupid bullshit "other" category is crap.

It basically installs PS4 games almost twice, because you get them in the game storage category with the full size and then each PS4 game adds like 20gb+ to "other" storage unless you keep them on an external drive.

My "other" category is 114gb of the 667gb right now and I'm down to 94gb free. Had to delete Demon's Souls & EDF5 to get to 150gb free again.

Going to buy a stupid external drive to keep the PS4 games on since supposedly that drops "Other" down to 13gb and should free up most of the drive. Just need to figure out what a good external drive is.
I got my PS4 games on a WD Element 2TB.  They've run totally fine so far, and some games load arguably quicker in a slight sense... can't confirm yet.

Bebpo

« Reply #1624 on: November 20, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
Been researching and ended up going with a Samsung T7 1tb for $150. It seems for PS4 BC only that the T5 at $130 would have been just as good, but the T7 transfers the games over at 2x the speed and I could always use it on PC rig. So for $20 more it seemed worth going for the T7. Definitely overkill. But that's about all the space I need since half my library on PS5 are PS4 games.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1625 on: November 20, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
1TB fills up pretty fast these days but that should last you a while, nice!
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1626 on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1627 on: November 20, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »
So VRR is confirmed as coming in a patch to PS5.

I guess between games supporting VRR, 120hz, HDR, 4k when I do get a new tv at some point in 2021 I should look for one that ticks all those boxes.

I mean while I love playing games at 144hz g-sync on my 1440p PC monitor, I'm ok with 30fps or 60fps on tv if they're stable with good clean imaqe quality. I've never seen 30fps work on PC the way it can on console locked games that give them a smooth 30fps appearance.

So basically I'll take any games that do over 60hz, but if console games start pushing visuals more and go back to 30fps I'm ok with that too. Feels like outside smaller games, 120hz would be pretty rare. You basically need to be running stuff with PS4-era visuals to lock 120fps though I guess that's what VRR is for.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1628 on: November 20, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
30FPS needs to be consigned to the gaming dustbin, never to return.

120+ for action games, 60 for cinematic. any scab game that tries to break the 60fps picket line gets their legs broken.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1629 on: November 21, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
So my PS5 has randomly beeped - really loudly - three times. Yesterday it did it while I was playing just once. I didn’t know it was the ps5 actually until today. This morning it did it again just once and really short. Then a few minutes later it did it and it was a long solid beep. When I paused the game it stopped. That’s when I knew it was the PS5 for sure. No errors or crashes when it happened. But wtf.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1630 on: November 21, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »
So my PS5 has randomly beeped - really loudly - three times. Yesterday it did it while I was playing just once. I didn’t know it was the ps5 actually until today. This morning it did it again just once and really short. Then a few minutes later it did it and it was a long solid beep. When I paused the game it stopped. That’s when I knew it was the PS5 for sure. No errors or crashes when it happened. But wtf.

IIRC this is what the PS4 does when it's checking data but could also indicate a hardware issue.  Maybe it's the same thing?
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1631 on: November 21, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
Yeah I think my ps4 always did that, if i hadnt turned it off properly.

Svejk

« Reply #1632 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
DeS crashed last night when heading back to the nexus once.  :doge
Didn't lose anything and it loaded right back up in a matter of seconds so... All good. :-[

Svejk

« Reply #1633 on: November 21, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
For whatever reason, I was under the impression that the "PS Plus Collections" was an instant free library to said games... If that's not the case, the way they advertise it is piss poor.  Stupid of me to think that these were all free (even though I own most of them).  :snoop

I'm still annoyed and going to continue to bitch that Horizon and Bloodborne have not been updated yet.  At this point, I guess it's safe to say they have other plans of beefing them up and reselling them down the line.  :-\

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1634 on: November 21, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »

IIRC this is what the PS4 does when it's checking data but could also indicate a hardware issue.  Maybe it's the same thing?

In the middle of playing a game though? And with no prompts or errors? The first two times it beeped it just did it once and then not again. The third time was constant until I paused. And they were REALLY loud. Like that I thought my UPS or maybe even the fire alarm were making the noise instead.

Spider-Man did freeze up twice yesterday and the 2nd time the controller basically stopped responding and then a few minutes later the screen went black. I did hard resets on both and got the hard drive fix screen when it booted back up.

Svejk

« Reply #1635 on: November 21, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »
For whatever reason, I was under the impression that the "PS Plus Collections" was an instant free library to said games... If that's not the case, the way they advertise it is piss poor.

It is an instant free library though;  just redeem them and they are in your account as long as you have PS+.

When I look up FFXV(RE), it still prompts me to purchase though.  ???

Svejk

« Reply #1636 on: November 21, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »
There's a PS Plus Collection menu item in the PS Plus area on the PS5;  that's where I "redeemed" them.  FFX shows up there.
Ah.. Maybe because I'm trying to go through the app and not the PS5 itself.  :ohhh

Bebpo

« Reply #1637 on: November 21, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »

In the middle of playing a game though? And with no prompts or errors? The first two times it beeped it just did it once and then not again. The third time was constant until I paused. And they were REALLY loud. Like that I thought my UPS or maybe even the fire alarm were making the noise instead.

Spider-Man did freeze up twice yesterday and the 2nd time the controller basically stopped responding and then a few minutes later the screen went black. I did hard resets on both and got the hard drive fix screen when it booted back up.

Yeah, I don't think those beeps are normal. I had a weird DMC5 SE crash last night where it just stopped the game, beeped and showed an error message, dumped me back to the OS, but then I hit DMC5 and it resumed like all it had done was pause the game and not crash.

PS5 OS is so buggy rn.

Svejk

« Reply #1638 on: November 21, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »
Need dat stability.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1639 on: November 21, 2020, 02:07:07 PM »
All videogame software this Fall has been buggy and fucked up, doesn't matter if it's next gen consoles, PC, I've read more about games crashing or weird shit happening recently vs. the past few years.

It's not unexpected with Covid, but It's definitely a sign of what to expect for the next six months.
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1640 on: November 21, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Is that PS+ collection thing for a limited time only or will it still be there if I get a PS5 next year?

Also what titles are in it?
What

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1641 on: November 21, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
We all testers now  :rejoice

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1642 on: November 21, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »
Guess I'm in no hurry since I own all of those.

Svejk

« Reply #1643 on: November 21, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
Just downloaded FFXV in rest mode.. phone notified me when it was done.  :pimp

Bebpo

« Reply #1644 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
I'd bet the PS+ collection lasts at least a year. PS+ has always had some yearly games that would stick around for an entire year in addition to the one month only ones.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat where I basically own/played all of them already outside of Fallout 4 which I should probably try though playing a Bethesda game without PC mods is  :doge

Also don't have/haven't tried the FPS war ones with Battlefield/CoD BLOPs III, but just not into war shooters anymore.

But hey, some of them I only have on disc, so it's nice getting them digital like Monster Hunter (which comes with Iceborne).

Tasty

« Reply #1645 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »

:lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1646 on: November 21, 2020, 06:53:05 PM »

120+ for action games, 60 for cinematic. any scab game that tries to break the 60fps picket line gets their legs broken.

Eh, I am perfectly ok with 30fps in certain situations.
Fighting games, driving games, platformers, character action games need to be 60fps. Always have, always will.

The walky talky shooty cinematic stuff that Sony does a lot of? Nah, gimme 30fps and push the visuals as far as possible. I mean Spider-Man PS5 gives you the option of 30fps/60fps and I'm picking 30fps there. Reading some threads on Miles, it seems most people are preferring to play at 30fps with the nicer visuals.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1647 on: November 21, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »

Eh, I am perfectly ok with 30fps in certain situations.
Fighting games, driving games, platformers, character action games need to be 60fps. Always have, always will.

The walky talky shooty cinematic stuff that Sony does a lot of? Nah, gimme 30fps and push the visuals as far as possible. I mean Spider-Man PS5 gives you the option of 30fps/60fps and I'm picking 30fps there. Reading some threads on Miles, it seems most people are preferring to play at 30fps with the nicer visuals.

Aren't we supposed to be at a point where we can have the nice visuals and 60 FPS?  Certainly is something I hope to see a lot more of with this console generation.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1648 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
Aren't we supposed to be at a point where we can have the nice visuals and 60 FPS?
:girlaff

Bebpo

« Reply #1649 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:07 PM »
You can always have nicer visuals with lower performance. Just look at PC benchmarks of cards beyond anything the new consoles can do. You want native 4k visuals with every graphic option maxed and ray-tracing? Enjoy 30fps.

Some genre the visuals flair outweighs the 60fps imo.

Spider-man looks nice at 60fps, it just looks nicer at 30fps.

But hopefully this gen they give players the option. That way both camps can be satisfied.

Svejk

« Reply #1650 on: November 21, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »
So the PS4 games on the external hdd get boosts too??  I thought it required the PS4 game to be installed on the SSD.  :-[ I loaded up Monster Hunter and Fall Guys, and they loaded up pretty quick and ran at a solid 60fps.  :o   I'm so confused, but this is great.  :lol

Svejk

« Reply #1651 on: November 22, 2020, 02:05:13 AM »
I thought FFXV was supposed to be updated to a locked 60fps.   ???

Bebpo

« Reply #1652 on: November 22, 2020, 02:10:27 AM »
Should be in performance mode (1080p), resolution mode (4k checkerboarding) was locked at 30fps on Pro.

Svejk

« Reply #1653 on: November 22, 2020, 03:06:30 AM »
Should be in performance mode (1080p), resolution mode (4k checkerboarding) was locked at 30fps on Pro.
Thank you again!  This is great. I need to transfer my remaining PS4 games to the external.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1654 on: November 22, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »
Best Buy came through.

We in baby. We in!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1655 on: November 22, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
Is that PS+ collection thing for a limited time only or will it still be there if I get a PS5 next year?

Also what titles are in it?

Sony hasn't said.   Probably being purposefully coy, specifically because people like you will get FOMO lol

From Worldwide Studios:

Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

From our third-party publishers and developers:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Thanks, that's okay, I own most of those games already on PS4. third party stuff on Steam. I wouldnt mind having a bore bro activating all this shit on my PS account, but then again I would need PS+ and I dont have that right now. Or can you activate it for all profiles on your machine if you have one user with PS+? Probably not.

Oh well, no bother.
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1656 on: November 22, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »
small things, but swapping out to the spotify app then back into a game is so much smoother than even my pc and control from my phone is perfect. the best spotify integration in any device i have lol. plex app is still a bit janky, but once that's good i'll prob get rid of my shield tv and use ps5 as the main source in my av setup.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1657 on: November 22, 2020, 08:49:11 PM »
How is the PS5 as a blu-ray player and media player in general?

naff

« Reply #1658 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
fine, but not licensing dolby tech is probably a dealbreaker for some (no vision/atmos support). the disc drive is the loudest part of the machine, but still the occasional "brrrrrrr" vs *jet engine noises*
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1659 on: November 22, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
also really dislike smart tv's having hardware buttons for apps like netflix. ps5 remote has prime, netflix, spotify and disney lol. i am interested to know how many people actually like these things, and how much manufacturers get paid for including that button. happens so often, someone grabbing the remote, hitting the big chunky netflix button with their butter fingers and kicking you out of whatever other app you're using (it's always plex. paid streaming for delayed content and a trove of half baked content? lmao, gtfoh)
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1660 on: November 23, 2020, 12:06:25 AM »
All Smart TV OS’s are fucking trash. Unplugged my C9 from the internet after initial setup. Fuck this

Tasty

« Reply #1661 on: November 23, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »
Yeah the general security advice I give re:smart TVs, is don't.

El Babua

« Reply #1662 on: November 23, 2020, 03:46:56 AM »

tldr: Memory runs hot af. SOC temps aren't too bad, but Sony fucked up elements of their cooling design once again.  :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1663 on: November 23, 2020, 09:15:31 AM »
fine, but not licensing dolby tech is probably a dealbreaker for some (no vision/atmos support). the disc drive is the loudest part of the machine, but still the occasional "brrrrrrr" vs *jet engine noises*
oof. I didn't realize they didn't go with Dolby. Wow.

I don't know what's really different about this controller, but I love it. The Xbox controllers have been my preferred since the 360 came out, but I really, really like the dual sense even though there wasn't a huge design change. It just  feels better. I'll give it some time but it might end up being my favorite.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1664 on: November 23, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »
Downloading Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man is queued right up.

We in brehs  :rejoice
Margs

Nuitangg

« Reply #1665 on: November 23, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »
Astrobot > Shitboy

Bebpo

« Reply #1666 on: November 23, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
Yeah, that's crazy PS5's media player doesn't support Dolby sound. Wtf.

I still have a boring ass 5.1 receiver that still sounds great and my room is small and no reason to upgrade until I move somewhere else. But in terms of future proofing as a media player for 7.1 Atmos and stuff...yikes. Sounds like I'd need to get a separate 4k Blu-ray player at that point if I cared.

I stream everything at this point tho, don't even know what sound stuff streaming movies are using these days.

naff

« Reply #1667 on: November 23, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »
I'm wondering if Sony are going to be doing something like interpreting dolby and converting it to their tempest 3d audio or whatever. I have 5.0, no sub but still sounds a hell of a lot better than atmos setups I've used. better to have a few good speakers than a lot of shit ones. I would love to get a half decent sub at some point though.
◕‿◕

Nuitangg

« Reply #1668 on: November 23, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
 I was hoping to ditch my 4k player but neither console supports Dolby Vision.  Vudu has quite a few movies with Atmos tracks.  Release a next gen consoles that supports neither is   :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1669 on: November 23, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Yeah, I actually unhooked my sub to move it to another room for a movie night and never moved it back so I'm actually running 5.0 myself in my gaming room. Since I live in a condo with neighbors on both sides I can't really turn up the bass, so don't notice the difference.

I do have good speakers though. I've always spent the time & money finding good speakers since they make a big difference. I play a lot of my PC stuff with nice headphones and they just don't compare to my speakers on my couch setup.

naff

« Reply #1670 on: November 23, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »
from what I understand if the file / blu Ray you're playing has 3d audio encoded the PS5 will still engage the heights in an atmos setup, but using Sony's implementation. I'm pretty fresh / ignorant abt how 3d audio works though.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1671 on: November 23, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »

tldr: Memory runs hot af. SOC temps aren't too bad, but Sony fucked up elements of their cooling design once again.  :doge
OH SHIT Snoy, Steve from Gamers Nexus is coming for your thermals

I watched a ton of his stuff on watercooling and PC builds and now my CPU runs at a cool 32c idle and 56c under heavy load  :mynicca

It's weird tho all these tech channels focus on PS5, it's like the Xbox Series X doesn't even exist  :doge
🤴

naff

« Reply #1672 on: November 23, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
sry, moving away from the fud of whatever sites I was reading, still available for blu rays, but not apps or games.

all the other dolby audio codecs supported as normal.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/#bluraydiscs

Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video (when connected to a supported device

PS5 will support the following audio formats:

Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
DTS (max 5.1ch)
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
AAC (max 5.1ch)
Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)
◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1673 on: November 23, 2020, 02:44:46 PM »
Sony quality not being bothered to put a headsink on their GDDR6.

Nuitangg

« Reply #1674 on: November 23, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
Steve said he plans to do the same for the X/S you idiot.

Bebpo

« Reply #1675 on: November 23, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
Sony quality not being bothered to put a headsink on their GDDR6.

Fwiw, a developer that does breakdowns in the Era thread said Steve removed some ram thermal to measure ram temps which could have affected the temps themselves on the ram. They said they didn't do a similar measure of temp on the ram because they couldn't figure out any way to measure the ram without removing the thermal on it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1676 on: November 23, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
More headroom is always nice, but if they run it within spec... I'm more interested in their custom NAND controller.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1677 on: November 23, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »
seems like we'll know sooner than later if shit's frying though

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1678 on: November 23, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »
So Astrobutt has a PAIN reference, while in Demon’s Souls you can’t write “Try finger, but hole.”

I think the true GOTY is clear  :snob
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1679 on: November 23, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »
Army is a snoy-boy? :tocry
(ice)