Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 36060 times)

Coax

Re: Nvidia ampere cards are here, hide yo wallets, hide yo wives
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »
Nvidia confirms the 3090 is 10-15% faster than the 3080 on average for 4K gaming (in an earlier leak the perf was posted as closer to 10%). They also mention limited supply at launch to the surprise of no one.

Quote from: Nvidia
For 4K gaming, the GeForce RTX 3090 is about 10-15% faster on average than the GeForce RTX 3080, and up to 50% faster than the TITAN RTX.

Since we built GeForce RTX 3090 for a unique group of users, like the TITAN RTX before it, we want to apologise upfront that this will be in limited supply on launch day. We know this is frustrating, and we’re working with our partners to increase the supply in the weeks to come.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
nobody mad about limited supply of a 3090 day 1 deserves to be apologized to
◕‿◕

Tuckers Law

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
Linus has such a punchable-looking face in those YouTube splash screens.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2020, 09:33:37 PM »
Linus has such a punchable-looking face

Yes

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I actually like Linus but still
[close]
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:52 AM »
I cant wait for the day that the 3090 RTX seems like a Voodoo 2 card  :doge
What

Coax

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Thanks to Nvidia's marketing the 3090 is getting flak for its claims despite it being a decent but pricey card. In a handful of the game tests by GN it's only a few FPS ahead than a 3080 OC'd. Additionally Linus found that in certain professional benchmarks the Titan RTX (Turing gen) vastly outperformed it, prompting Nvidia to respond that the card isn't considered by them a Titan replacement (and won't have the same acceleration benefits) despite Jensen calling it their Titan-class card.

So it indeed seems closer to a Ti class as some speculated. The most interesting comparison I feel will be with the 20GB 3080 since it would comfortably fill the gap in VRAM if priced well.

BikeJesus

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »
Purchased the 3080 at Canada Computers and I am second in line for the Gigabyte Gaming OC when the next shipment arrives. He said anytime from now until November. Excited.

Coax

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2020, 02:52:30 AM »
So a hardware issue in the 80/90 capacitor configuration from various board partners has been identified after both reviewers and users began experiencing crashes to desktop.

The short of it seems to be that Nvidia allowed some freedom for board partners to decide on how many SP-caps (apparently incorrectly referred to as POSCAPs in virtually all reporting) vs MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Chip capacitors) are on the back of the GPU chip, which when factory overclocked (the boost clocks) leads to instability if the higher quality/combination of capacitors weren't chosen. This doesn't seem to affect stock clocks.

At least that's what I can gather. Buildzoid has a long analysis. Only watched up to the 24m mark but the crux is between 16-23m where he compares cheaper SP-caps to better ones and the MLCC type and how some brands cheaped out on the better configuration (which he ultimately blames Nvidia for approving).

The FE designs went with two banks of the MLCC + four SP-caps, while Asus appears to have gone with all six banks of MLCC for their TUF (and from reading around Strix) and Buildzoid identified them as the more expensive type he's familiar with. EVGA caught the issue in their FTW3 cards before going into full production which led to their delay and they've addressed it by using the same MLCC/SP-cap configuration as the FE. There's some debate whether Asus' choice of all MLCC is actually technically better than the FE/EVGA's choice but we'll see eventually (see the EVGA topic for discussion and later in the topic quotes from the Igor's Lab forums for example).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:00:08 AM by Coax »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2020, 07:11:42 AM »
Except that Hardware Info tweeted yesterday that he had a TUF gaming 3080 with all expensive caps and it still crashes randomly
What

BikeJesus

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2020, 10:29:08 PM »
I still game at 1080p 144hz so I have no desire to overclock. Only bought it because I have been working full time during covid and not going out anywhere so saved lots of money.

Coax

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
After the dust has settled a bit it seems some takeaways are:

- The boost clocks were sometimes spiking too high causing power spikes when reaching the 2GHz range, draining the capacitors in such a way that created instability (per Overclock3d's hardware editor, among others including GN). The capacitors mitigated some of the effects of this but not all (hence seeing some experiencing crashes regardless of capacitor config). The fact that board partners only received very limited drivers from Nvidia leading up to launch, where (according to GN) they typically can only test a synthetic benchmark and not other real-use loads like games caught them off-guard with the spikes (leading some like EVGA to re-evaluate their capacitor config to address this where they could, apparently).

- Some cards are seeing lower boost clocks overall with the new Nvidia drivers while others aren't but nevertheless with some cards it doesn't affect gaming performance anyway (eg: the Asus TUF I saw a video on comparing the old and new driver). PC World, in tests with the EVGA FTW3 Ultra (the pre-release all SP-caps version), found it was boosted about 10-30Mhz lower with the new driver in identical benchmarks (however an Nvidia spokesperson in that piece claims they're not doing 'anything' to lock GPUs below 2GHz).

- Gear Seekers in their testing found the instability only affected Windows not Linux with the cards they have (one of the few I've seen with a Strix, not sure of the others). Haven't seen others confirm this so not sure the veracity.

So ultimately with the new driver it should be addressing the spikes and there shouldn't be a practical issue for out of the box clocks. OC'ing one would still have to find the stable sweet spot anyway.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:28:12 AM by Coax »

BikeJesus

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2020, 08:18:03 PM »
Canada Computers now has the gigabyte 3080 Master for an extra 130 bucks. Went in this morning to switch my back order. Still second in line when they come in. Also picked up an EVGA 750w power supply for $180 just to make sure everything will work fine. My power supply is a 650w 80 gold thing, which would probably be fine with a bit of an undervolt, but meh. When the 3080 comes in I just want to slot it in and wait patiently for cyberpunk to release. Once I know everything is stable, selling my old power supply and gigabyte windforce OC 2080 super.

edit: swapped power supply. First time I had to do it, everything went fine. PC humming along nicely.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:01:32 PM by BikeJesus »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2020, 05:35:38 AM »
so basically the original driver was revving the boost too hard.

Degausser

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
Any of you nerds got a 2070 or 2080 for sale?

BikeJesus

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »

I'll be selling my 2080 Super when I get the 3080.

Coax

« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:49 AM »
It arrived  :rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2020, 06:34:13 AM »
 :preach
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »
It arrived  :rejoice

You lucky son of a bitch
What

Coax

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Temps seem decent with system all on air (surprisingly given how few fans I have installed) but only tried Death Stranding so far (highest settings, 1440p, sans DLSS).

Adjusted the GPU fan curve marginally to keep fans at 5% minimum below 30C, which dropped the idle temp by 20C+ without affecting noise much (though sans GPU system was dead quiet, will have to test more to see if I can improve this).

Idle: GPU @ 28C | CPU @ 32C (was ~28-30C prior to installing GPU)
Gaming: GPU @ 50C (average) / 60C (max) | CPU @ 54C (average) / 69C (max)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
I second this question.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2020, 06:35:38 PM »
Temps seem decent with system all on air (surprisingly given how few fans I have installed) but only tried Death Stranding so far (highest settings, 1440p, sans DLSS).

Adjusted the GPU fan curve marginally to keep fans at 5% minimum below 30C, which dropped the idle temp by 20C+ without affecting noise much (though sans GPU system was dead quiet, will have to test more to see if I can improve this).

Idle: GPU @ 28C | CPU @ 32C (was ~28-30C prior to installing GPU)
Gaming: GPU @ 50C (average) / 60C (max) | CPU @ 54C (average) / 69C (max)
Note your highest frequency, then lower the power limit in afterburner (my 2060S at 80% has no performance loss). Should lower temps even further.

Coax

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2020, 11:04:23 PM »
Note your highest frequency, then lower the power limit in afterburner (my 2060S at 80% has no performance loss). Should lower temps even further.

Yeah, was considering undervolting leading up to this as some had some excellent results (eg: 100W less power but 1000 more points in 3DMark's Time Spy due to the added temperature headroom). If I could find the sweet spot it might be worth it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »
Lowering the powerlimit is the simplest way. Adjusting the voltage curve is not much more difficult.
https://wccftech.com/undervolting-ampere-geforce-rtx-3080-hidden-efficiency-potential/

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2020, 02:50:14 AM »
How did the AMD event go? Had to work and didn't watch it.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2020, 04:06:33 AM »
How did the AMD event go? Had to work and didn't watch it.
25% performance gain 50 dollar price hike

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2020, 09:21:39 AM »
So if I might want a 3080 over a 3070, which one would be the best?

Also I might do a 3070 and a cpu upgrade, im on a 2600x and my fans make a lot of fucking noise (not sure why)
What

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »
Generally speaking I like ASUS nvidia cards, EVGA also makes good ones and as you can see above they have a sweet reservation system set up.

I think the only ones to outright avoid are MSI but that's more due to their shady AF business practices than anything else, shouldn't be rewarding them for all of this horseshit.
yar

BikeJesus

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
Canada Computers now have the Aorus Xtreme on their site so I switched backorder to that one. Gigabytes best 3080, and oh my that thing is a pig. 4 slots with a little LCD screen on the side that you can upload gifs to. What the fuck. Second in the queue when they get them.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:54:28 PM by BikeJesus »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »
This is truly the Big Chungus generation of video cards
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Nvidia cancelled the 3080 20GB and the 3070 16GB SKU's.

Possibly because GDDR6X RAM is too expensive for such cards to make sense.

🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
as keen as i am on one of these, still fkin hard to justify spending twice as much on a gpu as one of the "expensive" new consoles with no games. like, the only thing that lures me is playing cyberpunk "as it was meant to be played". reminds me of when i wanted that voodoo card to play Diablo 2 in all it's glory.... then picked one up two years later for fuck all.

tbh, i had no idea at the time really why the 3dfx cards were so much better, just pc game magazines had convinced me the 3dfx proprietary glide api was the shit and i needed it. but i didn't even know what an api was.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:49:22 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2020, 07:38:06 AM »
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-3dmark-performance-leaked

Pretty weak performance for the 3070 imo..

I mean fuck.. am I gonna have to buy a 3080 instead of a 3070????

Then I will need to save up a bunch of more money :(

I have a 1060 3gb btw
What

Coax

« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2020, 07:49:43 AM »
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-3dmark-performance-leaked

Pretty weak performance for the 3070 imo..

I mean fuck.. am I gonna have to buy a 3080 instead of a 3070????

? They found it had equal to or improved performance than the 2080Ti depending on the benchmark, which is pretty much what it was advertised as from the announcements. Effectively 2080Ti perf or better but much cheaper (if one can find them at release of course).

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2020, 08:14:05 AM »
So still worth it compared to a 1060 3gb you say
What

Coax

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »

I don't know what resolution you play at or if there are other bottlenecks but you'd still see an improvement, though newer cards benefit most at 1440p+ resolutions. You'd also have raytracing options unlike the GTX series. You can do some research on comparisons of just the 1060 vs 2080Ti but here's an older one comparing the 6GB version at 1080p vs a 2080TI at 4K (and the latter still averaging better framerates).

Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
Rn im playing at 1080p, my tv does do 1440p as well though, but I never use it cuz my graphics card sucks

thx for the vid but thats a garbo comparison..why would you not compare 1080p to 1080p?

I dont game at 4k so I have no interest in 60fps 4k either.

Still doesnt give me any idea what performance would be like compared to a 3gb 1060 as well..
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
Still, on avarage as you can see in that video, the 1060 6GB still averages from 45fps to 60fps most of the time.

So Im kinda hoping that cyberpunk 2077 will run with a mix of high/medium settings.. I doubt Ill get 45 to 60fps tho :(

But yeah those benchmarks..I dont understand it, I just want to see how many frames Id get with a 2080 ti if you play at 1080p
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
They hardly do such comparisons because it wouldn't make sense to compare a low tier 1060 to a high tier 2080 Ti.
In that case you have to look at specific game benchmarks like this one for Division 2 where they include a bunch of different GPU's, which is a fairly recent game.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
RTX 2080 Ti ~= RTX 3070

So you can expect framerates on average to double or triple depending on the game.
With a 1060 you're probably looking at 30fps - 60fps for Cyberpunk depending your settings but the recommended spec is the 6GB model.
I think at anything above 1080p the low VRAM is going to be your bottleneck.

There's nothing right now that really stresses the 2080 Ti at 1440p Ultra, except for Ray Tracing which has been solved with DLSS.
The 3070 like it, is a beast of a card. The Radeon RX 5700XT is roughly what went into the PS5 and Xbox Series X, so that's basically the type of hardware games will target.
At 1080p the 2080 Ti or 3070 doesn't make sense anyway.

It's important to have a balanced system as well, what sort of CPU are you running?

For example, it might be better to pair a Ryzen 3600 with an RX 5700XT (= PS5/XSX) than pair a 3rd or 4th gen i5 with a 3070.
I already have that issue with my 2070 Super, my i7-4790k and DDR3 RAM can't keep up, especially in VR so I'm looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 5900X or 5800X.

Basically everything from a Radeon RX 5700XT up can run any current game at ~100fps ore more at 1080p or 1440p.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:16:37 PM by Nintex »
🤴

El Babua

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
I think you'd be good if you had a 6GB 1060. The 3GB has been a bottleneck since the card released  :doge

The 3070 seems like a great value and one of the best gen on gen jumps Nvidia has had - especially compared to their prior model in that category.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Right now I have a MSI Gaming 470 mobo, Ryzen 2600x and 32GB Ram but it's only running at 2666hz
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »
CPU wise a 2600x should be fine, you'll probably get a 10% - 20% performance hit compared to pairing it with a more capable CPU mostly at lower resolutions where it doesn't matter anyway.
You can always swap it for a 3600/3600X or 3600XT depending on what you can find the cheapest later. I bet you'll see lots of people selling theirs when the 5000-series drops and they upgrade.
🤴

BikeJesus

« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »

I went from a 1060 to a 2080 Super, and it is a huge difference. I game at 1080. With the 1060, I would hope to get 60fps with medium/high settings. Now with the 2080 Super, I aim for 120fps at high.

Getting DLSS and ray tracing is nice as well. You will be very happy with 2080ti performance and better RT power.

I am still waiting for my 3080 Xtreme. I swear if I see Canada Computers get the 3090 Xtreme in stock I am going to go grab it for another $1100 bucks on top of the $1300 I already put down for the 3080. Fuck it.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2020, 02:19:27 AM »
As a survivor in the wasteland of this patriarchal/capitalistic society (aka AMD fanboy), I just can't stand the title of this thread anymore.

It's saying the cards are here, but that's some loophole bullshit. At most, it's hopeful.

A dream.

A goal.

To dangle.

At an angle.

And that's the truth.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2020, 03:58:02 AM »
Yeah I think it will be months before I can obtain one

*Cries*
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:41 AM »
Yeah I think it will be months before I can obtain one

*Cries*
You can pre-order at Alternate.
They've also made a tool to see your place in the waiting line
https://www.alternate.nl/nvidia/rtx-3000-info/theme/42595

I hear the ASUS TUF ones that have been listed since launch have a long waiting list right now but models introduced later like the Gigabyte Vision have a shorter waiting time.
Your best bet to get it this year is to pre-order now. But considering you're not planning to play in 4k, I would just get a 5700XT for over half the price.
On average the 3080 costs 850 - 950 Euro. While you can find a 5700XT for < 400 or so or wait to see what AMD does with the Big Navi in a few weeks.

You can also wait for the 3070. Pre-orders should open fairly soon (as it launches the 29th) and lots of people already have their money tied up in one or two 3080 pre-orders.
Again if you don't plan to play in 4k, you will hardly stress the 3080 and isn't worth it.

If you have money to spend, people are having more luck getting the 3090 because there's less demand, but it costs a whooping 1800 -2000 Euro  :money
Nvidia just vastly underestimated demand and when you think about it, that isn't so strange considering who is jumping on these cards

- Upgrades from GTX 9XX gen
- Upgrades from GTX 10XX gen
- Upgrades from RTX 20XX gen
- Team red switching to green
- Console gamers switching to PC
- New Ryzen 5XXX / i7 10th gen builds
- Cyberpunk 2077 + MS FlightSim
- Early 8k adapters
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 07:14:26 AM by Nintex »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2020, 07:31:03 AM »
Yeah ill just preorder a 3070 when they go live but its hard to know which card from which manufacturer I want
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
Yeah ill just preorder a 3070 when they go live but its hard to know which card from which manufacturer I want
Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS is your best bet and EVGA but those are not very common in Europe.

For my 2070 Super I went with the Gigabyte Aorus because the clocks were just  :whew and they offer the most connections (6 ports on Aorus). Their software is still garbage though.
MSI probably has the best software but quite conservative clocks. ASUS is often a bit more expensive and stingy on ports and features but seen as reliable.

With my Gigabyte card I thought they had made a typo because it was over 200mhz faster than a similar offering from MSI but it actually hits those clocks all the time.
In games like Control with Ray Tracing that really made the 5fps / 10fps difference in terms of not dropping below 60fps.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:04:46 AM by Nintex »
🤴

BikeJesus

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
Yep, my gigabyte 2080 super can sit around 2045mhz and Max out at 2100mhz, while never going over 70°C. It is advertised at 1830mhz. Solid card and I have no desire to try other brands.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
I can’t believe mmarsu wants to burn down den Haag with a meme graphics card :titus
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »
mmarsu Aka mixed martial arts Russel :ohhh
(ice)

BikeJesus

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2020, 07:40:27 PM »
as keen as i am on one of these, still fkin hard to justify spending twice as much on a gpu as one of the "expensive" new consoles with no games. like, the only thing that lures me is playing cyberpunk "as it was meant to be played". reminds me of when i wanted that voodoo card to play Diablo 2 in all it's glory.... then picked one up two years later for fuck all.

tbh, i had no idea at the time really why the 3dfx cards were so much better, just pc game magazines had convinced me the 3dfx proprietary glide api was the shit and i needed it. but i didn't even know what an api was.

Free multiplayer
Way better/sooner sales
Adjustable settings
Cheap expandable storage
More controller input options
Mods
Many thousands of games from previous generations
Injectable stuff like reshade
Steam input. Honestly, this is the one reason I will never buy another console. Gyro in every game is too valuable.
High end VR headsets. My Index won't work with ps5 or xsex.

And that is just off the top of my head.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2020, 08:16:23 PM »

Free multiplayer
Way better/sooner sales
Adjustable settings
Cheap expandable storage
More controller input options
Mods
Many thousands of games from previous generations
Injectable stuff like reshade
Steam input. Honestly, this is the one reason I will never buy another console. Gyro in every game is too valuable.
High end VR headsets. My Index won't work with ps5 or xsex.

And that is just off the top of my head.
PC gaming in general kills the console experience, but I still think if you have a half decent 10xx or 20xx card a 30xx is probably not suuuuuuper nessecary until we get further into the next gen. even something like an amd 5600xt or 5700xt is still doing work.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »
I have a 1080ti and I'm not gonna bother upgrading until more games support ray tracing. By that point, whatever the successor to Ampere is will likely be getting announced/released so hopefully I can snag a 3080 on the cheap.
yar

Beezy

« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2020, 11:19:24 AM »
I'm not sure where else to ask this, but I'm still using this same PC that I built early 2014. What do I need to upgrade, assuming that I get a 3080 within the next year?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7wDN6h

Not listed here is a 250GB SSD and I upgraded to a GTX 1070 in 2016. I also got a 1440p monitor early this year because I needed a second one for my WFH setup and figured why not.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:36:01 AM by Beezy »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »
Upgrade cpu to at least 6 core 12 thread (get zen 3 from amd), upgrade ram to at least 8gb x 2 at ddr4 3200mhz, and pick up a 3070 (3080 is overkill for 1440 unless you really want to spend the money).

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2020, 03:14:09 PM »
Yeah you're pretty much gonna need to buy a completely new system because you're absolutely gonna want to upgrade your cpu, and to do so you'll need a new mobo/ram.

In theory you could keep using that PSU but it's like 6 years old, eh I'd get a new one. Like Skullfuckers said, if you don't see yourself jumping up to 4k at some point in the next few years I'd just get a 3070.
yar

Beezy

« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2020, 04:56:37 PM »
Thanks, I thought you'd all might suggest that. I'm open to building a new PC next year. My nephew can have this one.

I do have a 4K TV, but I've hardly ever connected my PC to any of my TVs. And I don't plan on getting a 4K monitor anytime soon.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »
If the leaks are correct the Ryzen 5600X single-core performance will beat the Intel i9-10900k and as it stands single core performance is still the most important for gaming.
That's a $300 CPU besting a $650 CPU in gaming. The RTX 3070 is actually on par and in some cases faster than the 2080 Ti. It remains to be seen what AMD announces tomorrow for the new Radeon series.

I think we're finally seeing the generational leap the PC market has been waiting for.
🤴

El Babua

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2020, 12:08:52 AM »
Really curious to see how much of an update the console generation after this one is. The 5600X may end up like the 2500K of this decade if Sony/Microsoft end up making the CPU relatively weak again like the did the previous gen.