Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4231918 times)

Himu

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33720 on: April 17, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »
Tastes really are funny. I find it fascinating how some people will call something I find amazing boring and vice versa. Calling it boring while I'm fully immersed as the movie depicts a specific place in time and what the cinematography is trying to communicate to the viewer. I love slice of life, meanwhile it's apparently boring to tears to others. :yeshrug My favorite part is how people think there's a giant conspiracy and that people like Roma for what it is or our tastes are just different from theirs. Apparently all of the critics are bought.

It's also weird how so many people are like,"I'm bored after 20 minutes". A lot of good movies aren't good in the first 20 minutes and they generally use that time to set up the tone and setting. I have no idea how someone like this could possibly watch Gone With The Wind or Seven Samurai for instance. Have I watched too many old movies to the point where I'm just immune to pacing that needs time to establishes itself? I just don't know.

Pacific Rim 2 is really really really bad.

Nooooooooooooo
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:27:28 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33721 on: April 17, 2019, 02:10:19 AM »
The Lady Eve (1941, Sturges)

The complete opposite of Roma, a story of the disappointments of men as mates, and the manner in which women are treated like trash. A screw ball comedy from 1941, like many of its contemporaries it stars sexually forward women that know what they want and know how to get it. Starring the legendary Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, dialogue is snappy and creative. See:

Funny, witty, and just all around great movie.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #33722 on: April 17, 2019, 02:40:13 AM »
For anyone who has seen Captain Marvel...do I need to watch it before I see Endgame or can I just read a synopsis?

EDIT: Yes, I know it's a Marvel popcorn movie and I can just read a synopsis for the entire catalogue of Marvel popcorn movies, but I enjoy them so STFU.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:44:17 AM by Potato »
Spud

Himu

« Reply #33723 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:18 AM »
Iirc it’s one of those things that’s not necessary but should enhance it?
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33724 on: April 17, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »
For anyone who has seen Captain Marvel...do I need to watch it before I see Endgame or can I just read a synopsis?
No. Also you dont need to read shit. Pretend it doesnt exist, none of it matters.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #33725 on: April 17, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »

EDIT: Yes, I know it's a Marvel popcorn movie and I can just read a synopsis for the entire catalogue of Marvel popcorn movies, but I enjoy them so STFU.

i watched the leaked ending so i can just tell you what happens in endgame so you don't have to watch either:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
potato is a virgin loser
[close]

Himu

« Reply #33726 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »
Citizen Kane

The first time I saw Citizen Kane I was obsessed with it for weeks if not months. I had seen plenty of movies from the 20's and 30's, and even 40's and yet Citizen Kane was so far beyond anything that came before it by leaps and bounds. The direction, visuals, audio, editing, transitions were so far ahead that it took nearly 5-6 years for others to catch up and by then Welles was already about to shake it up again with The Third Man. The intro alone is mind shattering if you have even a modicum of basic film knowledge up to the point of its creation.

Here's His Girl Friday which came out a year earlier.

Here's Kane.

The difference is uncanny. I was obsessed with how much this film changed movies in general. It actually ruins much of the output made during the decade in fact. In a way I'm still obsessed with it. I don't and never have considered it the "best movie ever" but I have no legitimate criticisms towards anyone considering it to be that.

Tonight I re-visited it Kane and it's still. so. good. It's utterly timeless to me.

Looking forward to seeing Welles' unfinished film on Netflix later tonight.

4 stars
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:00:20 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33727 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »

The Scoundrels is a not-great but intermittently awesome Taiwanese crime thriller that shows a lot of directorial promise for its debut filmmaker. Features some great, clumsy and crowded fight scenes.

Ahhhhhhh yeah. Now this was a good time. Zhang Yimou is having a weird but excellent career. Going between small intimate dramas and giant scaled melodramatic wuxias, Shadow somewhat bridges the gaps between the seemingly hugely different auteurs who are the same person in a film about shared purpose between a dual identity as well. A sickly general uses his presently successfully integrated double in the royal court to achieve his aims, the smallness comes from the remarkable lead performances which carry a lot of weight amongst the oppressively present (and wonderfully realized) stylized, well, everything. Yimou has almost made a proper noir in wuxia drag. It's canvas widens as the film progresses, but the color palate stays stubbornly drab and is no poorer for it. Its spectacular in the literal sense as the near black and white look of the film conjures any other dozens of classic crime pictures about some poor schmuck who's in over his head and has to survive on his wits. As is, its the best use of heightened artifice that I've seen in some time. Don't sleep on this one, especially if you've a chance to see a good screening of it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33728 on: April 18, 2019, 01:47:09 AM »
I watched this a million times as a kid. the tape I had was a double feature and the title of the movie was different.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #33729 on: April 18, 2019, 01:58:41 AM »

i watched the leaked ending so i can just tell you what happens in endgame so you don't have to watch either:

potato is a virgin loser
[close]

How can I be a virgin when I am your dad?
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33730 on: April 18, 2019, 04:12:09 AM »

potato is a virgin loser
[close]

How can I be a virgin when I am your dad?
Sperm donor?

The Scoundrels looks up my alley, i'll give it a shot.

Himu

« Reply #33731 on: April 18, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
2019 Cannes list.

Palme D'Or

The Dead Don’t Die (dir: Jim Jarmusch) – opening film
Atlantique (dir: Mati Diop)
Bacarau (dir: Kleber Mendonça Filho & Juliano Dornelles)
Frankie (dir: Ira Sachs)
A Hidden Life (dir: Terrence Malick)
It Must Be Heaven (dir: Elia Suleiman)
Les Misérables (dir: Ladj Ly)
Little Joe (dir: Jessica Hausner)
Matthias and Maxime (dir: Xavier Dolan)
Oh Mercy! (dir: Arnaud Desplechin)
Parasite (dir: Bong Joon-ho)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (dir: Céline Sciamma)
Sibyl (dir: Justine Triet)
Sorry We Missed You (dir: Ken Loach)
Pain and Glory (dir: Pedro Almodóvar)
The Traitor (dir: Marco Bellocchio)
La Gomera (dir: Corneliu Porumboiu)
The Wild Goose Lake (dir: Diao Yinan)
The Young Ahmed (dir: Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)

Un Certain Regard

Adam (dir: Maryam Touzani)
Dylda (dir: Kantemir Balagov)
A Brother’s Love (dir: Monia Chokri)
Bull (dir: Annie Silverstein)
The Climb (dir: Michael Covino)
Evge (dir: Nariman Aliev)
Liberté (dir: Albert Serra)
Invisible Life (dir: Karim Aïnouz)
Jeanne (dir: Bruno Dumont)
Room 212 (dir: Christophe Honoré)
Papicha (dir: Mounia Meddour)
Port Authority (dir: Danielle Lessovitz)
Summer of Changsha (dir: Zu Feng)
The Swallows of Kabul (dir: Zabou Breitman & Eléa Gobé Mévellec)
A Sun That Never Sets (dir: Olivier Laxe)
Zhuo Ren Mi Mi (dir: Midi Z)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33732 on: April 18, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Hyperzone post your Letterbox'd account.

This is mine.

https://letterboxd.com/imdying/
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33733 on: April 18, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
Watched Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer a couple of nights ago on Amazon Prime, even though I own the BD. Last night my internet got knocked out during a storm, so I just watched it again on BD. What a masterpiece.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #33734 on: April 18, 2019, 03:59:40 PM »
Hyperzone post your Letterbox'd account.

This is mine.

https://letterboxd.com/imdying/

Followed you. :)

Himu

« Reply #33735 on: April 18, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
thanks! following back

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cannes-announces-2019-lineup-terrence-malick-pedro-almodovar-1203192293/

More on Cannes 2019. Many female directors at the helm.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33736 on: April 18, 2019, 04:27:13 PM »
I made a Letterboxd thing too, I wanna get in on this. I'm trying to watch more movies.

https://letterboxd.com/JoeMolotov/
©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33737 on: April 18, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »
umm... yeah... sure, I'll post mine.

(pats pockets)
(goes through jacket)

sure I had one round here somewhere...
hey, I'm a busy guy. I've been meaning to get on it. Geez. This Rajnikanth film on Netflix ain't gonna watch itsefl
[close]

Himu

« Reply #33738 on: April 18, 2019, 08:55:44 PM »
Us

Starts out strong but a disjointed finale, absurd plot twists, uneven acting, and flawed characters put a damper on the experience. It was okay. It was entertaining, but that’s about it. It’s funny reading many peoples analysis of it. This represents that, that represents this. “He wore a shirt that said fragile on it so that must be a nod towards white fragility!” It’s like the fanbase are going full on Evangelion stan. I left the theatre wondering if the movie had any meaning or a message at all. I’m still not sure and I’m still confused.

Wack.

2 stars
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:04:47 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33739 on: April 18, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
Citizen Kane is dope af.
dog

Himu

« Reply #33740 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »
Us spoilers.

The movie falls in line with many reasons why horror is such a frustrating genre: everyone's stupid and it wants you to go along with it. The thing is that Get Out eschewed this trope by making the main character competent.

So I'm to believe that...

- People that can't speak or talk some how communicated with each other to kill the entire country?
- These are - very important note - people. They're not zombies. They don't eat brains. One blast from a shotgun will take them out. Zombies are frightening because they can increase their numbers easily. There couldn't have been more than 200 people in that underground bunker. You're telling me that all of those people took out entire populations to cover the entire nation? Quite a reach in an America with millions of guns.
- So how are they a threat? Even the bum fuck dad who seems to be learning deficient managed to off at least two of them niccas.
- Their main weapon is scissors and can be killed easily even with their Ghost Fu.

Yet it wants you to buy into this world that they apparently manage to take over.

Once you introduce the take over America plot and multiple people having clones, the entire story falls apart.
[close]

I truly think people riding Peele's nuts with this one but whatever. Us truly highlights many of horrors failings as a genre. Through you could say it's more thriller than horror.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:27:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33741 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
I saw someone say that if anything Us proves that Peele was perfect for Twilight Zone and I sorta agree in the sense that Us is a not subtle at all story but Rod Serling made Twilight Zone partly out of frustration with censors so Peele doesn't have a lot to stand on in that regard.

Wild take here but Us would have worked better if the main family was a white family. Mainly because the conceit? of the whole film is the idea that we all have personas and identities behind the surface, our "real" selves or more real selves. This is destroyed for black viewers since it's explicitly how black lives are lived in america/west. We even have terms for it (code switching etc) and entire genres of literature dedicated to it. There are ways to make it work as is but it needed more time in the oven at the script phase if he had to have a black family at the focus.

Unless maybe his original idea reflected this more but didnt know how to work in white cast members? especially with how it ends and the idea of this being everbody
[close]

Himu

« Reply #33742 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
The multiple persona thing should have only happened to the family, no one else. I also agree. While watching it I got a hint of "who's the real monster? Them or us?" as the little girl beat that girl to death with the baseball bat. Then I realized it didn't matter. I still don't get what the movie is trying to say.
[close]
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33743 on: April 18, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »
The multiple persona thing should have only happened to the family, no one else. I also agree. While watching it I got a hint of "who's the real monster? Them or us?" as the little girl beat that girl to death with the baseball bat. Then I realized it didn't matter. I still don't get what the movie is trying to say.
[close]

Yes making the scope much much smaller another way to work it, didn't think of that.

Himu

« Reply #33744 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
As for Twilight Zone, I don't know if Peele is good for it. I haven't seen the new Twilight Zone yet (waiting for Star Trek Discovery s2 to end so i can bum rush it and then watch Twilight Zone) but Peele's work so far have been comedy and horror. Sci-fi...that's a different beast entirely. One of the great things about Twilight Zone is it can be cerebral without throwing too much at you. No hidden messages or anything like that. Just pure philosophy, or in other words, pure sci-fi, which essentially is made to make the viewer/reader ask questions. When I started asking questions with Us it fell apart. So...:idont
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33745 on: April 18, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
Im firmly against a tz remake, i rewatch the og every year, its timeless and one of the greatest television programmes to ever air. It's not perfect but so much of it holds up because RS and crew were smart enough to make it so much about classic mythology and moral plays. Amazing amazing show.

Himu

« Reply #33746 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »
Peele should test out Sci fi by directing an episode for The Orville or Black Mirror. Make us question. In both Get Out and Us they end with exposition dumps that rival a jrpg finale. Can he achieve a good story without relying on giving the answers away? Sci fi - good Sci fi - doesn’t do that. So if he’s interested in getting into the Sci fi game that’s what I want to see.

FWIW, he does host the new Twilight Zone. But again, I can’t tell you anything about its quality.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33747 on: April 19, 2019, 01:19:01 AM »
A Quiet Place

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #33748 on: April 19, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
A Quiet Place is TV drama dreck.

Edit- I'm thinking of Bird Box, nevermind.

Edit 2- Probably applies to Netflix's new movie The Silence too.

The "we gotta be quiet or we'll die" genre is already overstuffed. :lol

Himu

« Reply #33749 on: April 19, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33750 on: April 19, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
adds to list...

Still gotta see that. Don't Breathe remains king of this new genre.

Himu

« Reply #33751 on: April 19, 2019, 11:08:32 AM »
Some previews that interested me yesterday when I saw Us.

Booksmart looks so cliche and yet...SO GOOD. Why?
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33752 on: April 19, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
adds to list...

Still gotta see that. Don't Breathe remains king of this new genre.
Don't Breathe is the only one i liked, it had a bit more fun with the premise.
Quiet Place was alright, but took itself too seriously, for how dumb it was.

It comes at Night also had some of that vibe, and was also a disappointment, compared to the trailer.

Didn't even bother with The Silence (seriously, looks like dollar store version of A Quiet POlace) and Birdbox, because i gave up completely on Netflix movies.

Himu

« Reply #33753 on: April 19, 2019, 11:14:35 AM »
I felt Quiet Place was pretty tense. Jump scares never scare me but I thought it was so tense. If Don't Breathe is even better I'll check it out.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33754 on: April 19, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
I also saw a trailer for a new Shaft. It looks so bad!

In other words. I have to see it! :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33755 on: April 19, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
Yeah I'm not seeing how it taking itself seriously is a negative?
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33756 on: April 19, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

Himu

« Reply #33757 on: April 19, 2019, 05:54:00 PM »
What’s stupid about it exactly? I bought into the world. That’s enough for me. You could say,”why don’t they just move to the river?” But that would mean:

1. Moving their stuff which would make them a target and if not that...
2. If they construct around the river they risk making more noise than it. Construction is noisy as shit. Never mind making stable shelter for a family 5-6.
3. What happens when it’s winter and the river freezes over?

There is no quick fix here. Moving from where they live carries far more risk than staying put.

I think the movies tone and story are fine as they are.

Are there issues? Sure. It’s not perfect. But the issues aren’t glaring problems. And the other problems are small enough that they don’t impact suspension of belief. Unlike, say, Us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:19:08 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33758 on: April 19, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33759 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:36 PM »
I like films that take themselves seriously, and i didn't hate Quiet Place, but when i compare it with Don't Breathe, the difference i see is that the second one had a more fitting tone, given the absurd happenings in the movie itself, so the corny shit, didn't stand out as much.

A Quiet Place could've done without the shitty generic CGI monsters, for something more abstract and interesting, as well as absolute shit like:
  :doge

But i'm not saying it was a bad movie, it had good tension and that's all you can pretend from a movie with such a premise.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33760 on: April 20, 2019, 12:40:24 AM »
Watching Ghost Story, it’s got Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., full frontal male nudity, ghosts, and the Borg Queen naked. 5/6 stars
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33761 on: April 20, 2019, 04:04:17 AM »
this ringer article resonated with me since i still remember the key points well after a year as it echos a lot of my thoughts on modern cinema: films either need to embrace being dumber or do more to earn the tone that they are trying to set. as stated, you have to earn your self-righteousness, you can't just do it through cinematography, color grading and post. to echo what riotous said: a quiet place is just... so... fucking.. dumb.

A Quiet Place is a classic example of a film that needed to be either better or worse to really be good. It needed either to embrace that it’s a dumb horror movie populated by dumb people making dumb choices and revel in that fact, as its premise is more than prepared to do, or to earn its self-seriousness with real complication and compassion, preferably something beyond poorly scripted dramatic arcs and the lonesome Americana of Krasinski’s beard. Rustic tones and well-choreographed images may obviate the former, but they don’t automatically add up to the latter.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/4/5/17200386/a-quiet-place-film-review-john-krasinski-emily-blunt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33763 on: April 20, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »
This is my "Internet is Broke + my a local video store was having a sale" film festival.

So far I've watched Ghost Story, UHF, and Dominique. I bought some sake and sushi from the grocery store, now I'm going back for Round 2.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33764 on: April 20, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
I thought some of those were DVDs and I was like, dawg :jeanluc

What are DVDs? :trigger
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33765 on: April 21, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »

Absolutely before its time
yet here we have Green Book
:9

Himu

« Reply #33766 on: April 21, 2019, 03:01:30 AM »
Every time I go to the movies now it’s empty and I get depressed. It’s full of touch screen ticket monitors, no glass between you and the cashier. To make things even worse there’s usually one cashier. It’s so lonely and empty. I went to see Teen Spirit last night and it was empty when I left the theatre at 8:30 or so. It feels like people only go to see superhero flicks now and you can’t blame Hollywood for milking them. It makes me feel like I took the theatre experience for granted for so long. It’s slowly dying unfortunately.

The soulless feature presentation/no talking bumpers make me even more depressed. Going to the movies used to be so fun and the bumper was a big part of that. AMC’s current one is hideous. Please fix it lol.

Versus

My favorite. God I miss Loews.

:bow
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:14:22 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33767 on: April 21, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »
This is my "Internet is Broke + my a local video store was having a sale" film festival.

(Image removed from quote.)

So far I've watched Ghost Story, UHF, and Dominique. I bought some sake and sushi from the grocery store, now I'm going back for Round 2.

I love Black Sunday!

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33768 on: April 21, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
dude, that is about the best video store haul I've ever seen.

I'm now immensely jealous of your local retail situation.

Himu

« Reply #33769 on: April 21, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
Amazing Grace (1972/2018, Pollack)

Go to church with Amazing Grace. Hell, bring yourself a church fan - you’ll need it. The film footage from Amazing Grace dates decades. Filmed for the live album that would go on to become the biggest selling gospel record of its time, Grace's film release has been halted by sound issues and cease and desists from the Queen of Soul herself. Three months after Aretha's death it was finally shown to the public. The second Aretha walks into the room she completely contains the audience - choir or otherwise - with her alluring magnetism. She shows that music truly knows no skin color, religion, or creed. Its audience is diverse, encompassing white and black, including stars like Mick Jagger. Everyone is there one reason: Aretha. With little downtime between songs, Amazing Grace is all about the music. A nearly 90 minute run time, the film encompasses the sorrow, soulful, tearful, joyful sides of music. Aretha’s voice was so beautiful that her music appealed beyond gospel and Amazing Grace is one of the greatest displays as to why. Whether you believe in God or not, you have to experience this in theatres.

I took my mom to see it for an early mothers day gift today on Easter Sunday. She thoroughly enjoyed it.

Teen Spirit (2018, Minghella)

I don't like modern pop. I find it largely soulless, bad music that keeps me from listening to today’s radio. Teen Spirit encompasses this style of music. So for a music film I found that aspect lacking, but it makes up for it by telling an entertaining rags to riches tale about staying true to yourself. It has some holes but they don’t detrimentally harm the story, it just doesn’t feel complete with too many loose threads. Fun movie but don’t expect anything Earth shattering or even enjoyable music despite being a music movie. This is the closest you'll get to an American Idol film and for that kind of expectation, it kind of works.

I forgot that I saw Us the other day. lmao What a forgettable movie. Might end up being more overhyped than Endgame at the end of the day.

As an aside, AMC Stubs List is an incredible investment. :whew I've been the movies three times in the past week. :obama
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33770 on: April 21, 2019, 10:37:06 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33771 on: April 21, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »
Does Elle Fanning get naked Cindi?

Himu

« Reply #33772 on: April 21, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
Nope.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33773 on: April 22, 2019, 12:40:04 AM »
why aren't you guys asking if Rhea Pearlman gets naked in Poms?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33774 on: April 22, 2019, 04:34:41 AM »
Salam is an intern on the Palestinian soap Tel Aviv on Fire set at the dawn of the 1967 war. While trying to weasel out of an interrogation by the Israeli officer in charge of the checkpoint he passes through everyday, he inflates his role up to show writer. Assi, the Israeli officer, start badgering him with ideas for the upcoming episodes... Tel Aviv on Fire is a pleasant, well paced light comedy that ultimately has to acknowledge that fiction cannot bend reality (Assi desperately want for the Palestinian spy to earnestly marry the Israeli general she's honeypotting) without getting utterly depressing about it. It's not the deepest film made about the matter but it's nice nonetheless. filler gives it two likes up.

Cold War is the latest film by Polish director Pawlikowski. If you liked his previous feature Ida, you will get more of that : it's been also showered with awards, it's still shot in 4:3 black and white and once again it's an impressionistic, somewhat somber composite of Post-War Poland. This time round it's told via the tumultuous, passionate and destructive relationship between a composer and a singer who goes off the rails when the former defects West. Like Ida it has a strange stop & go pacing to it though it's maybe more disjointed (superficial even ?) by virtue of the story, it might not be to everyone's taste. It's still beautifully shot with incredible photography and the actors are amazing so it's worth its while.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:59:50 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33775 on: April 22, 2019, 07:53:41 AM »
Yeah Ida was quite a stunning piece of cinema.
I still haven't got around to watch Cold War though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33776 on: April 22, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I watched 8 of the 11 movies I had picked out for this weekend (Candyman, Don't Look Now, and Flesh+Blood may be on the docket tonight if my internet doesn't get fixed today :dead ).

Ghost Story (1981) -  Does what it says on the tin. This is a nice and spoopy ghost story, that's heavy on the wintery New England atmosphere and mounting sense of dread. It does lose some of the tension when it decides to make the ghost unambiguously real instead of leaving it up to the viewers imaginations whether the characters are being haunted by a ghost or only their own guilty consciences.
3.5/5

Dominque (1978) - Another ghost story, but this one is creaky and without much bite. It tries to subvert the old trope of Gaslight by having the gaslighter become the gaslightee, but it spends way too much time building up to any real suspense, only to have it resolved way too quickly and unsurprisingly. A failing businessman starts messing with his wealthy wife's mind after she injures her head in an accident. She commits suicide at the end Act  1, leaving her husband sure to collect her fortune if he can just wait until the reading of her will a few weeks later on October 31st. The last hour of the movie is him creeping around the mansion, being haunted by strange whispers and ghostly apparitions. A bit of a snoozer.
1.5/5

UHF (1989)
I haven't seen this movie since college. It's still really funny, but tbh the plot is awful. They should have jettisoned all the parts with his girlfriend and the network boss trying to take over the station, and just made a Kentucky Fried Movie style film of loosely connected shorts, centered around them running a UHF station (the fuck is a UHF station, amirite, fellow millenials?).  Victoria Jackson is  :yuck, Kevin McCarthy is great as the snarling rival studio head, but most of the ancillary scenes related to that plotline are :zzz . Just keep racist Kramer making kids drink from his fire hose and the racist Japanese stereotypes intact.  :-*
3/5

Party Line (1988)
Speaking of "Only 80's kids will remember", how about party lines, eh? How about Richard Hatch and Leif Garrett, eh? This movie sucks, and not even in a fun and trashy way, like the cover implies. It's about an incesty brother/sister duo who lure adulterous men to their house using an adult party line, and then murder them in a reenactment of the murder of their abusive father. Richard Hatch plays the loose-canon, doesn't-play-by-the-rules cop that is assigned to solve the case, along with the sexy, but straight-laced Assistant DA. It's very bad. A 1 star movie, but I'll give it 2 stars because of an exchange between the siblings early in the movie after the brother messes up playing the piano and slams the keys and his sister says "You just ruined father's favorite piece" to which the brother snarks back "You were father's favorite piece. " :lol
2/5

Black Sunday (1960)
The B&W camera work in this movie is gorgeous. The long shadows, the bright contrasts, the spooky gothic interiors, the moldering cemeteries and crypts.*chefs kiss* As far as style goes, it's up there with Universal classics like Dracula and Bride of Frankenstein. The plot is a bit too familiar, but even it is pulled off with some nice touches, like the Mask of Satan being hammered down on the witch, and the scene where her eyes are bubbling back into her face after being brought back with blood. Great movie.
4/5

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
I love comedy road movies, and this one is the original. It's not as laugh-out-loud funny as it probably was 55 years ago, but it's still a joy to watch. The Criterion Blu-Ray that restores the movie back to 197 minutes is spectacular.
4.5/5

C.H.U.D. (1984)
CHUD is a movie that I only knew because of reputation, mainly because of it's absurd but kind of awesome title. It really enjoyed it, it was a fun little B creature feature. The CHUDs were nicely done, the sewer sets were effective, Daniel Stern was great in a pre-Home Alone role, and I was surprised to see John Goodman in an early (albeit minor) role as well, as the cop that hits on the burger joint waitress and then gets killed by a CHUD.
3.5/5

Dressed to Kill (1980)
I wish I could save a high-priced hooker's life and then hang out at her apartment and solve murders and trade stock tips. :uguu
4/5

©@©™

Himu

« Reply #33777 on: April 22, 2019, 01:56:50 PM »
Sounds like a blast Joe
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33778 on: April 22, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Bloom

"Thanks, I hate it." the movie. But in a good way. But also I hate it. Anyway, in a fantasy world, there is a race of people who live for hundreds of years but never look older than teenagers, and spend their time weaving huge tapestries that tell their personal stories. They get attacked by a kingdom that wants to use their near-immortal blood to pump up their weakening royal lineage. Maquia, a young member of the race, manages to escape. Sometime later, she stumbles across the remains of a camp that has been attacked by bandits, leaving an infant as the only survivor. Maquia, feeling a kinship with the child, takes him as her son and attempts to raise him on her own. The story shifts between the larger-scale political machinations [which are good] with Maquia's maternal struggles [which are also good, and sad]. It looks great, too, very well-animated and directed. Did I mention that it's sad as hell, because it is? But in a good way.
dog

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33779 on: April 22, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
每天生气