Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141524 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38940 on: April 07, 2021, 09:52:57 PM »
90s being peak western civ is p sad, but true in nearly every way  :'(

90s:
-Post-Soviet optimism
-Strong economic growth
-End of the American crime wave
-The internet was cool
-Rise of liberal democracies
-Climate change still slow and seemingly manageable
-Bill Nye

Post-90s:
-Endless War on Terror
-Economic malaise and speeding up of boom/bust cycle
-Worldwide pandemic
-Internet dominated by corporations and vapid celebrities
-Collapse of left-wing parties and rise of right-wing wannabe dictators
-Climate change speeding up and seemingly unmanageable
-Elon Musk

90s:

- continued pace in combatting inequality across the board in wage gaps and employment rates that have been improving since the 70s

post-90s:

◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38941 on: April 07, 2021, 09:54:32 PM »
This movie is dumb and not in the good way

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38942 on: April 07, 2021, 10:00:11 PM »
It doesn't even have Mélanie Laurent in it

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38943 on: April 07, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »
jess eisenbergs is the worst  :trash

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38944 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »
Passing the card around :dead  this is so fucking dumb. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38945 on: April 07, 2021, 10:36:14 PM »
Like 8 minutes of throwing a CGI card at eachother

Tasty

« Reply #38946 on: April 07, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »
8)

Omg matrix 4 comes out this year 😊😁😁😁 8)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38947 on: April 08, 2021, 12:43:23 AM »
commie lord of ring

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38948 on: April 08, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »
Starting Now You See Me 2.  Don't know why, thought the first one was one of the worst movies i have seen.

That first one was so bad. Please report back on sequel, since you’re already taking one for the team.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38949 on: April 08, 2021, 01:56:21 AM »
More Marvel movies with my daughter:

Ant-Man was just as much fun as I remember. I love a good heist movie and, while there could have been more of that and less action oriented stuff, it still scratched that itch. Was genuinely funny and charming and my daughter loved it. Paul Rudd was the perfect casting and Michael Douglas killed it as Hank Pym too.

Captain America Civil War was great as an ensemble cast, big action flick, but it was a bit shit as a Captain America film. They really should have had the balls to make this an Avengers movie. Surprising amount of nuance in the way it deals with the themes of regulation of unlimited power. In that way it really is the sequel to Age of Ultron.

Doctor Strange is another in a long line of "origin" films that only really serves to introduce the mystic arts into the MCU and another Infinity Stone. Absolutely wasted Mads Mikkelsen as a villain. Surprisingly, this is my daughter's favourite so far.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a meh follow up to a great first film. Some decent character development for the side characters and some fun action scenes, but the overall story was just...who really cares? It could have gone a little more into the theme of what actually makes someone a father.

Spider-Man Homecoming was just a teen flick dressed up in superhero clothing. Standard fare and was absolutely shit on from a great height by Into the Spiderverse. My daughter was bored and so was I.

Thor Ragnarok was as amazing as I remember. Taika Waititi really breathed new life into Thor, Hulk and the MCU with this. It's fun, genuinely funny, and really developed two of the most stagnant characters in the MCU. Great villain who was given some room to breathe and feel genuinely threatening and also featured a shot of the building I work in, which was fun to recognise. My daughter loved it too.

Black Panther was ok. I liked it much more the first time, but it's just a little predictable once the coolness of wakanda wears off. The second viewing really shows the ridiculousness of wakanda as a setting as well. A feudal kingdom full of technological marvels where the king can be overthrown in ritual combat? Ok. Killmonger was one of the few genuinely threatening villains though and it did feel like the superhero was under threat, unlike most of these films where the plot armour is impenetrable.

Avengers Infinity War was so much better than fucking Age of Ultron. The tension was right up there and even though I knew what was going to happen I was still expecting the heroes to win in the end. Thanos's motivations are still very much wtf? though. Paper thin and pointless and only explained by saying he's the "mad" Titan. Kind of hard to believe that an alien race capable of space travel couldn't stop itself from consuming and destroying its entire planet

Anyway, on to Ant Man and the Wasp next, which I remember fondly for a sequel. Also going to watch Captain Marvel for the first time ever.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:21:04 PM by Potato »
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38950 on: April 08, 2021, 08:38:34 AM »
Starting Now You See Me 2.  Don't know why, thought the first one was one of the worst movies i have seen.

That first one was so bad. Please report back on sequel, since you’re already taking one for the team.

It was bad and not even fun.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38951 on: April 08, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
22:37 - Gandalf confronts Gollum

:dead

Bebpo

« Reply #38952 on: April 08, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »
Just watched Jim Jarmusch's The Dead Don't Die. Avoided it since release because reviews were harsh and most people hated it.

Going in with very low expectations and being familiar with Jarmusch's work, I actually ended up really liking it and thought it was pretty funny. Like there's two sides to the movie, there's the Mel Brook's movie played completely straight tonally in Jarmusch style side, which is a really weird tone, but if you run with it, it makes the movie pretty fucking funny with Brook's-esque absurdity delivered with Jarmusch's-esque flatness. Plus having all your favorite actors/actresses doing it just makes it even more popcorn laugh entertaining.

Then there's the "I'm trying to say something" side, which ehhhhhh, ehhhhhhhh, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....yeah, doesn't work that great. I think the very end kind of leaning on this direction vs the former makes the ending pretty meh.

But otherwise it was entertaining and I'd even call it a good movie but for a very specific small audience. If I'd seen this in the theater I'm pretty sure I'd be the only one laughing at a lot of the lines. Been there, done that before.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38953 on: April 08, 2021, 09:55:34 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38954 on: April 09, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
Fin
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38955 on: April 09, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »
8)

(Image removed from quote.) ;)
Is there a higher res version of this? Would be a cool phone wallpaper :thinking

Everyone involved looks very excited

https://twitter.com/IndianaJones/status/1380552440123060225
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #38956 on: April 09, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
wonder if they'll do it right this time and have him doing things actually becoming of a 104 year old man like having his ass wiped for him and making comments about all the uppity darkies you see about these days.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #38957 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »

Everyone involved looks very excited

https://twitter.com/IndianaJones/status/1380552440123060225

They’re all just glad to be working.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tasty

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38960 on: April 09, 2021, 07:53:44 PM »
8)

Is there a higher res version of this? Would be a cool phone wallpaper :thinking

think I found it on the twitter or the face book, it's all I got  :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38961 on: April 09, 2021, 07:57:54 PM »
8)

think I found it on the twitter or the face book, it's all I got  :trumps

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
:dice

some other great stuff in this gallery as well
https://www.facebook.com/relaxitsonlyart/photos/?ref=page_internal
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:03:16 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #38962 on: April 09, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
Not the worst idea to get the guy who did Logan to re-do Indy's Last Ride. It doesn't have to be high art(see: Logan) and there's already a pretty established framework for the franchise that isn't that hard to ape(see: Uncharted.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38963 on: April 10, 2021, 04:14:18 AM »
Not the worst idea to get the guy who did Logan to re-do Indy's Last Ride. It doesn't have to be high art(see: Logan) and there's already a pretty established framework for the franchise that isn't that hard to ape(see: Uncharted.)
Honestly they need to give Ford an age appropriate role though.
He's not young as Jackman, and finding a suitably charismatic substitute could be a problem.

I haven't watched 4, so i'm not sure how Shia did, he seemed alright in the trailers.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38964 on: April 10, 2021, 06:03:21 AM »
they should de age him and have him whipping ass old man style like in the Irish man :phil
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38965 on: April 10, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »
Just make him a baby that can crawl past the Germans undetected.
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38966 on: April 10, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
I watched Thunder Force on Netflix, so that you don't have to, and it is - to the complete lack of surprise of everyone, I'm sure - utter shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38967 on: April 10, 2021, 09:54:45 PM »
Terminator Dark fate.  Had no expectations for this movie and it met them.  Not good, not terrible.  The first hour was actually really good, and things kind of went downhill once Arnold showed up.  I liked the canon stuff they did. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38968 on: April 11, 2021, 12:08:30 AM »
Escape Plan was way better than it had a right to be.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38969 on: April 11, 2021, 04:13:01 AM »
Terminator Dark fate.  Had no expectations for this movie and it met them.  Not good, not terrible.  The first hour was actually really good, and things kind of went downhill once Arnold showed up.  I liked the canon stuff they did.
Yeah it had some good action (and the best CGi face i've ever seen, at the start).
I didn't hate it.

Tasty

« Reply #38970 on: April 11, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »
I like T2 too much to ever see that movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38971 on: April 11, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
Dark Fate is a fun movie. I particularly don't get the hate for Mackenzie Davis. She was great in Black Mirror and had a small but great performances in Blade Runner 2049 and the Martian as well.
I would go as far as to say that Dark Fate is underrated and if it wasn't tied to Terminator but just another Netflix release or something it would've reviewed much better.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38972 on: April 11, 2021, 03:47:16 PM »
Dark Fate is a fun movie. I particularly don't get the hate for Mackenzie Davis. She was great in Black Mirror and had a small but great performances in Blade Runner 2049 and the Martian as well.
I would go as far as to say that Dark Fate is underrated and if it wasn't tied to Terminator but just another Netflix release or something it would've reviewed much better.

Mackenzie Davis is fantastic and has been since Halt and Catch Fire.  Dark Fate was, eh whatever.

Bebpo

« Reply #38973 on: April 12, 2021, 01:46:00 AM »
Slaxx - Great slasher flick about a re-animated pair of jeans murdering people. I thought this would be like Rubber or something, but it's actually just a pretty funny and entertaining traditional slasher, sorta. The performances are really fun and the pacing is great though maybe it drags a bit at the end. Definitely recommended.

Onward - Catching up on some Disney+. This was good, I enjoyed a Pixar movie about D&D. Not top-tier Pixar, but good and probably somewhere in the middle. Even knowing the main guy's played by Tom Holland, I couldn't recognize his voice at all. Chris Pratt was good.

Color out of Space (2019) - Been on a Lovecraft kick recently, started reading Cthulhu's Reign anthology of short stories in a world post-Elder Gods-apocalypse, this was a pretty good Lovecraft movie. I thought the beginning was great, but the movie was pretty slow for a while. It's a good movie but probably would've been a lot better at about 30 mins shorter.

Bebpo

« Reply #38974 on: April 12, 2021, 04:11:56 AM »
So that New Mutants movie is finally on free streaming with HBO Max now and I watched it and wtf, I thought it was good? For my personal tastes it's probably the best mutant movie since First Class.

New Mutant comics (and x-men comics too), at least all the ones I've read, have been usually been pretty much C-tier trashy popcorn entertainment. Not exactly high art. This movie felt like a pretty faithful adaptation of these characters in a story that works and is maybe just a bit slow and mostly underbudget so powers FX are saved towards the end. I thought Maise Williams did a really good Rahne although I laughed at the budget when her werewolf transformation was literally them just having a real wolf run down a hall  :lol  It was cool seeing Gutherie in a film, and Illiyana was pretty great.

Plus the movie had
DEMON BEAR
ACTUALLY CG LOCKHEED FUCKING UP SHIT WHILE FLYING AROUND
BITS OF LIMBO PHASING IN AND OUT DURING BEAR FIGHT
WAS ACTUALLY A MR. SINISTER ARC MOVIE
[close]

I'm kind of bummed the movie exists in a vacuum because I would've liked this to actually have come out years ago and been successful enough to get a sequel dealing with

Mr. Sinister
[close]

Or have some of them integrated into a main X-men movie. But on its own, this was a lot better than I expected. Solid 3/4 stars YA New Mutants movie. The trailers with their horror take was definitely stupid and caused a lot of the fuck up of release. It's not a horror movie, it's a YA New Mutants movie and it's fine.

Though if you haven't read the New Mutants comics and don't know these characters idk how it holds up as a normal film. But as a comic book reader the movie was actually pretty satisfying in how authentic it was to the characters. I mean the fact that these super C-tier characters even got their own live action movie including some of the CG craziness is already something you'd never have expected, so it was a nice surprise and I'm glad it exists.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38975 on: April 12, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »
Not going to lie, after Mom and Dad, Mandy, Color out of Space, and Willy's, I honestly think Nick Cage is one of my favorite actors or at least one of the few actors where I can get excited about a movie just because they are in it. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38976 on: April 12, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Nic Cage is in a lot of bad movies, to be sure, but he's also often the best part of some good [or at least really entertaining] movies.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38977 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »

Man, it's been a hot minute since I've thought about this movie. I would kinda like to see it again, though.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38978 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
The Silent Hill guy? :thinking

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38979 on: April 13, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
Yep.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38980 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:48 PM »

Can't wait for the sequel, Hitman's Bodyguard's Wife's Brother's Nephew's Cousin's Former Roommate.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38981 on: April 13, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Man, it's been a hot minute since I've thought about this movie. I would kinda like to see it again, though.
That's a puzzling cover.
The Silent Hill guy? :thinking
Yah, Christophe Gans.

He's in that realm of not too great, but made some flicks with personality.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38982 on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Hitman's Bodyguard was fun.  Glad it's getting a sequel.

Bebpo

« Reply #38983 on: April 13, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »
The Mortuary Collection aka 4 horror shorts over 2 hours.

:snore

Was good I guess. Just kind of slow and a bit dull. The end was good.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38984 on: April 13, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »
I enjoyed it.  Clancy Brown was fun and the male pregnancy story.  Was slow though.

Bebpo

« Reply #38985 on: April 13, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »
Yeah, I enjoy the tone and the stories were good and Clancy Brown was great, all of the stories except the first bathroom one just felt really slow paced. I was enjoying it but also on my phone reading the bore during it at times.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38986 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »

That's a puzzling cover.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either. The new cover art that Shout Factory commissions is sometimes...not great, but at least they always put the original art on the flip side.

Thinking about Christophe Gans yesterday convinced me to order the German import UHD of Crying Freeman.

©@©™

G The Resurrected

« Reply #38987 on: April 14, 2021, 11:34:31 AM »

I might just have to see this shit on the big screen.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38988 on: April 14, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
:dead looks great

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38989 on: April 14, 2021, 12:29:21 PM »
We really calling it The Fast Saga now? Did Disney acquire the rights?
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38990 on: April 14, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
NGL, I'd rather site down and watch the 9 mainline F&F films and 2(?) spinoff movies back to back than the Star Wars equivalents

:kermit

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38991 on: April 14, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »
I mean, I watched Hobbs & Shaw but I still haven't watched Revenge of the Skywalkers or whatever.
©@©™

G The Resurrected

« Reply #38992 on: April 14, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »
Better Luck Tomorrow is the true Han origin story we deserved. Cohen might have directed the first one, but we all know this is Justin’s baby.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38993 on: April 14, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »

That's a puzzling cover.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either. The new cover art that Shout Factory commissions is sometimes...not great, but at least they always put the original art on the flip side.

Thinking about Christophe Gans yesterday convinced me to order the German import UHD of Crying Freeman.

Loved this movie as a kid (like 10yo or whatever) mostly because i thought the exploding mags were a genius idea.  :lol
I also read some of the manga, but i can't remember shit aside from Ikegamis awesome drawings.  :expert

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38994 on: April 14, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels appeared on Netflix.

It looks as blurry and washed out as it did in 1999 but this is still one of the best and most fun Heist movies out there.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38995 on: April 14, 2021, 05:21:41 PM »

I might just have to see this shit on the big screen.
I think Tokyo Drift was when I tapped out on this series. Why are they still making them and why are people still seeing them?
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #38996 on: April 14, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
because theyre great movies (the terrible fast 8 excluded) :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38997 on: April 14, 2021, 05:32:35 PM »
I'm gonna watch it, fun action flicks. Especially after they stopped giving a fuck about the laws of nature and physics :trumps
Not sure about the spin offs though. Hobbs and Shaw was ok, but the next one is probably another Ryan Reynolds movie with Ryan Reynolds as Ryan Reynolds  :shaq2

Sometimes you want to watch Schindlers List or The Green Mile other times you want to watch Fast & Furious  8)
I sure hope that by June 25th I can grab a bite and go to the movies again without masks, distancing and (n)a~al probes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:38:07 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #38998 on: April 14, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »
it's the only billion dollar franchise that people don't get lame about like they do the star war and capeshit :rash
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38999 on: April 14, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
Not to mention Paul Walker is pulling the biggest viral marketing stunt in history when he returns for Fast 10
🤴