Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141040 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40920 on: August 04, 2022, 04:13:32 PM »
WBD investor conference call in 15 minutes here, I'll be listening.

Polident Hive

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #40922 on: August 04, 2022, 05:18:00 PM »
:dolezal
Margs

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #40923 on: August 04, 2022, 05:31:34 PM »
Apparently Castro's father was Spanish so I guess it could be somewhat construed as being ok? It seems even dumber though to cast someone who doesn't even speak spanish

Tasty

« Reply #40924 on: August 04, 2022, 09:35:39 PM »
HBO Max's death may be exaggerated — Discovery Plus merger coming summer 2023

Whoah, it's like everyone else has been a total fucking idiot about this whole thing.

Who'd have thought? Oh wait, me.

#drunkpost

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #40925 on: August 04, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »
HBO Max's death may be exaggerated — Discovery Plus merger coming summer 2023

Whoah, it's like everyone else has been a total fucking idiot about this whole thing.

Who'd have thought? Oh wait, me.

#drunkpost

Nah, removing already finished movies is top tier boomer trash
:O

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #40926 on: August 04, 2022, 11:37:44 PM »
I’m just hoping the Venture Bros movie gets finished before Discovery finds out about it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40927 on: August 05, 2022, 08:30:45 AM »
Prey is still at 92%.  Kinda hyped now.  Could this be a third good Predator movie?

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40928 on: August 05, 2022, 10:03:44 AM »
People seem to be really upset by this slide  ???

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1555310224134721536

I'm not really sure why. I assume it's based on the data they have collected and no one says "only men watch this and only women watch this" just that it skews that way.

And speaking of data, it's also pretty funny how they're butchering HBO max despite it having the highest customer satisfaction

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-lowest-value-must-have-service-survey-1235301080/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:13:58 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Tasty

« Reply #40929 on: August 05, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
they're butchering HBO max

:wtf

The leadership team doubled down on the importance of high content spend, explaining that reducing churn remains the number one factor amid increased competition.

CEO David Zaslav maintained that content spend will go up each year in the years to come.

Zaslav provided a bit more clarity on the future of HBO Max during the company's earnings call. He confirmed that the streaming service will combine with Discovery+ to be one platform, set to launch next summer.

In the interim, the two services will share content.

Bebpo

« Reply #40930 on: August 05, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »
Still seems HBO Max is ded and HBO Originals live on like predicted.

Lotta cancellations already. When is the next HBO Max release? Oh wait...there is none because they've cancelled everything that was about to come out.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #40931 on: August 05, 2022, 12:20:44 PM »
HBO now has access to the greatest cinematic universe of all time!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SweatieAngle/status/1555318442063953920

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40932 on: August 05, 2022, 01:18:02 PM »
I wonder what they will call the new streaming service that will replace HBO Max and Discovery+.

Couldn't they just copy the Discovery+ content folder into HBO Max. :idont
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40933 on: August 05, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »

:wtf

The leadership team doubled down on the importance of high content spend, explaining that reducing churn remains the number one factor amid increased competition.

CEO David Zaslav maintained that content spend will go up each year in the years to come.

Zaslav provided a bit more clarity on the future of HBO Max during the company's earnings call. He confirmed that the streaming service will combine with Discovery+ to be one platform, set to launch next summer.

In the interim, the two services will share content.

(Image removed from quote.)

Didn't they literally remove some of their original movies from the service? If it ends up being fine then I'm happy. I'll guess we'll see what kind of content he's talking about

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #40934 on: August 05, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
I dont know what 90 Day Fiance is and at this point Im too afraid to ask
:O

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40936 on: August 05, 2022, 08:28:10 PM »
Hollywood is about 2 failed reboots away from Obama being played by Chris Pratt.
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40937 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:42 PM »
Prey is still at 92%.  Kinda hyped now.  Could this be a third good Predator movie?

Nah it's pretty bland tbh. I went in with medium hopes and it nearly met my expectations. Not as good as Predator or Predators, probably better than Predator 2, definitely better than AVP.

Moves a bit too fast, script a bit too wooden, Midthunder very cute, 2/4 stars

Polident Hive

« Reply #40938 on: August 05, 2022, 10:15:43 PM »
I liked Prey. Going back to the dub talk, filming it in comanche with the English dub as an option would’ve been preferable. Having it in English with code switching has it feeling like it’s set in modern day. Can’t elaborate why.

I’m of the option that all Predator movie are good, excluding AvPs. Appreciate each trying their own thing. It’s not the Terminator just trying to remake T2.

Tasty

« Reply #40939 on: August 05, 2022, 10:30:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1555222357882458114

I'm really gonna go see Joker 2 I guess

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40941 on: August 06, 2022, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm really gonna go see Joker 2 I guess

Or as they call it in the French arthouses, Le Jokair.
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #40942 on: August 06, 2022, 05:35:07 PM »
Looking up the production of Prey, they intended for it to be a surprise. Like Split’s connection to Unbreakable? Then Disney just announced it as a Predator movie and the director went “well, shit.” They should roll with the idea. You’re watching Enola Holmes 2 and suddenly there’s green blood and the cloak hiss clicking. Secret Predator movie in old London.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40943 on: August 06, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
Crazy, filming had already wrapped. $90 million budget.

Yeah, this is ...odd.

Either it's really terrible and they're worried about its effects on the DCU reputation (lolz).
Or it's got some really heavy political vibes they were afraid to put out there and put a target on WB.

Or after Ezra they're just canning every DC film and ending the DCU after Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2.

Either the Hollywood Reporter or Variety article mentioned that the film is the product of a previoius regime. We know new executives will torpedo anything which makes their predecessor look good. It's common. IIRC that was part of what happened with Firefly. I don't think Keaton would have signed up if he thought it was garbage.

Tasty

« Reply #40944 on: August 06, 2022, 09:07:57 PM »
It's not spite for previous regimes, it's business. The benefits of taking a tax writedown on unreleased projects vs. spending additional capital on marketing and talent payouts can very easily come down on the side of "it makes more sense not to release this film."

What did change is the new regime has no faith in original made-for-streaming feature-length films, and I'm not sure I'd blame them. The biggest streaming hits were all simul-theater releases last year under Project Popcorn. No, ZSJL doesn't count.

Netflix is chasing that market with Free Guy and Bird Box and Grey Man or whatever. I guess that's working out for them? :thinking

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40945 on: August 06, 2022, 09:42:31 PM »
Well, I defer to you; you know the business better than I do.

Tasty

« Reply #40946 on: August 06, 2022, 10:14:52 PM »
Mostly what I do is just read the trades, and read in between the lines because every article has a spin. Not a coincidence there wasn't a shred of positive Netflix coverage for like 8 weeks earlier this year across THR, Variety, Deadline, etc. Gossy headlines get clicks. When Netflix was in a tailspin, suddenly everyone couldn't wait to weigh-in with their armchair Wall Street takes.

Same is happening with WBD right now.

They cancelled Batgirl and took 6 movies off HBO Max. And I guess there was a PowerPoint slide breaking down gender cohorts that everyone is suddenly an expert on?

That's pretty much it for objectively bad press. If you look at the direction being taken, I think it's actually very sensible.

Use theaters to hype big movies. Make more movies for theaters. Preserve HBO. Merge HBO Max and Discovery+. Use the best tech between the two. Spend more on content. Milk linear TV for all its worth. Restore CNN's brand. Restore DC's theatrical reputation.

It's dumb but sometimes I imagine myself in these guys' shoes. I don't think I would have had a problem cancelling Batgirl personally, especially being privy to the internal deals and machinations involved. But even if I could have explained my reasoning, I still would be eaten alive by the Twitterati. The idea of that does kinda rankle me, most hot takes are so bad on their face but they still seem to keep getting traction.

Social media is a scourge. Independent thought is very close to being dead.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40947 on: August 06, 2022, 10:18:47 PM »
Costs and pay for streaming vs theatrical releases are very different. Nobody is aware or questions why Batgirl, Black Canary, and Blue Beetle were chosen to go straight to streaming. New administration will suck, too, but these moves are a consequence of the previous administration sucking ass.

Reports on the quality of Batgirl? Not reading any of that. There’s always a duplicitous angle to those stories. But to ashamedly throw Keaton under the bus, he was just in Morbius. Pay is pay!

Bebpo

« Reply #40948 on: August 07, 2022, 01:03:42 AM »
Prey was solid.

Some good action, good fight scenes, gorgeous scenery and cool shots, decent story. A bit of a throwback to the first movie too with the setting.
Honestly the only thing I thought was a bit weak (besides a thin story) was the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
big french battalion battle scene. It's just...too silly and CG heavy. The movie would've worked better with all the other action death scenes that were serious and badass only I think.
[close]

For fights, the

Bear fight and final fight were great
[close]

I think if I were writing this story I'd have changed it a bit so

the predator was a young rookie predator on their first hunt to juxtapose with her on her first real hunt which would put them on more even ground. Like I'd have the predator making rookie mistakes and stuff.

It honestly felt like this one was a little too OP and cheating beyond what should be doing if they were honorable. It really took a ridiculous amount of bodies to wear it down enough for her to have a chance.
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #40949 on: August 07, 2022, 03:13:15 AM »
Costs and pay for streaming vs theatrical releases are very different. Nobody is aware or questions why Batgirl, Black Canary, and Blue Beetle were chosen to go straight to streaming. New administration will suck, too, but these moves are a consequence of the previous administration sucking ass.
They fucked Batgirl specifically by trying to bump it up to theatrical, they can't just cut it back down to HBO Max now like everyone wants when the tax benefit is sitting there. Black Canary being only HBO Max and Blue Beetle being bumped up to theatrical before it shot are in slightly better positions because of this. BC will probably be doomed because they're cutting out all those films, but BB at least has the chance of surviving because it's already been on the theatrical track for most of the entire production and will be for the entire post-production. When BB finishes if they go "eh, not going to work in theaters" it's still viable for dumping on HBO Max, especially since there's no tax benefit attached. (The Batgirl and Scooby cancellations were made because the benefits had to be taken this August.)

Mostly what I do is just read the trades, and read in between the lines because every article has a spin. Not a coincidence there wasn't a shred of positive Netflix coverage for like 8 weeks earlier this year across THR, Variety, Deadline, etc. Gossy headlines get clicks. When Netflix was in a tailspin, suddenly everyone couldn't wait to weigh-in with their armchair Wall Street takes.

Same is happening with WBD right now.

They cancelled Batgirl and took 6 movies off HBO Max. And I guess there was a PowerPoint slide breaking down gender cohorts that everyone is suddenly an expert on?

That's pretty much it for objectively bad press. If you look at the direction being taken, I think it's actually very sensible.

Use theaters to hype big movies. Make more movies for theaters. Preserve HBO. Merge HBO Max and Discovery+. Use the best tech between the two. Spend more on content. Milk linear TV for all its worth. Restore CNN's brand. Restore DC's theatrical reputation.

It's dumb but sometimes I imagine myself in these guys' shoes. I don't think I would have had a problem cancelling Batgirl personally, especially being privy to the internal deals and machinations involved. But even if I could have explained my reasoning, I still would be eaten alive by the Twitterati. The idea of that does kinda rankle me, most hot takes are so bad on their face but they still seem to keep getting traction.

Social media is a scourge. Independent thought is very close to being dead.
I love how many of the self-declared film industry experts on the internet seem to be completely ignorant about the basics of how the film industry works, its history, etc. I don't claim to be an expert about it but, I've read like books and Wikipedia and shit, so I know box office numbers and review scores aren't all you need to know. All these people are screaming about the "injustice" of a studio shelving a film when there's probably at minimum hundred, maybe thousands of films, this happens to every year. Nobody seems to realize that Netflix and Amazon's massive counts of films nobody has ever heard of is because they went around to everybody and said "we'll take what you've got" and bought the streaming rights in bulk, sight unseen, because these companies were sitting on hundreds and thousands of productions that were sitting in a vault with no value to the companies until streaming.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 03:26:51 AM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40950 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:40 AM »
Prey was solid.

Some good action, good fight scenes, gorgeous scenery and cool shots, decent story. A bit of a throwback to the first movie too with the setting.
Honestly the only thing I thought was a bit weak (besides a thin story) was the

big french battalion battle scene. It's just...too silly and CG heavy. The movie would've worked better with all the other action death scenes that were serious and badass only I think.
[close]

For fights, the

Bear fight and final fight were great
[close]

I think if I were writing this story I'd have changed it a bit so

the predator was a young rookie predator on their first hunt to juxtapose with her on her first real hunt which would put them on more even ground. Like I'd have the predator making rookie mistakes and stuff.

It honestly felt like this one was a little too OP and cheating beyond what should be doing if they were honorable. It really took a ridiculous amount of bodies to wear it down enough for her to have a chance.
[close]
Prey was a lot of fun and I agree with you on all those points.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40951 on: August 07, 2022, 07:25:36 AM »
Call me old fashioned or a snob or whatever but I don't think I can lower my standards enough that i'd call Prey good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40952 on: August 07, 2022, 09:11:23 AM »
I think it falls victim to the trend to call a moderately good thing 'the best of all time' and a mediocre thing 'literally the worst movie ever'.
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #40953 on: August 07, 2022, 10:20:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/MichaelMann/status/1554602237799849986

:thinking

Tokyo Vice pilot was great so I guess he's still got it :trumps

I blame Bill Simmons. I feel like he has single handedly given the movie a second life, which encouraged Mann to pursue it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40954 on: August 07, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »
Not to be a snob about it but most people don't really know about any specifics of filmmaking in general (and that's fine, I don't need to be a cook to enjoy or have an opinion on food etc).
The machinations of film financing in general & the bureaucratic and corporate internal power struggle skullfuckery of mega corps spending mega money on mega volatile projects in particular is several layers more inscrutable than already complex questions like "what did the filmmaker wanted to say ?" and possibly just out of reach for any outside observers.

I think the only certitude is that they believe (rightly or wrongly) they would be throwing good money after bad on that Batgirl film. They wouldn't sit on a dollar of profit unless returns are too uncertain.
ὕβρις

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #40955 on: August 07, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »
I can certainly see why throwing major theatrical films onto a streaming service a month and a half after release isn't a good idea financially but surely there's some type of good middle between 45 days and "we're never doing anything like this again." 60 days? 90 days?

The wild thing is that the summer should have been about HBO Max further expanding its lead about premiering it's biggest show - House Of The Dragon - to major success and new subs. Instead people are confused or upset about a new direction that boils down to a reality TV CEO doubling down on the only thing he knows. Seems like Netflix already demonstrated that people aren't purchasing streaming subs to watch reality television.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #40956 on: August 07, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »
Seems like Netflix already demonstrated that people aren't purchasing streaming subs to watch reality television.

I mean... you say that, but my countries Netflix Top 10 consistently has low budget reality TV shit taking up half the entries...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40957 on: August 07, 2022, 02:33:19 PM »
The netflix recommendations aren't real anyway except for the weekends. If it was real all you would see on weekdays is what kids on their iPad watch.
Sometimes they mess up filtering those out if they're new releases and their big saturday number 1 spot is a Bob the Builder or Dora the Explorer or whatever even if they just launched a big Netflix original.  :lol

The real story no one is talking is about, is that Netflix is losing subs to Disney because that's the better option for parents to keep the kids busy while they WFH.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40958 on: August 07, 2022, 04:35:58 PM »

Now this looks like a decent motion picture :snob
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40959 on: August 07, 2022, 08:35:26 PM »
Really liked Prey. After some many bad predator sequels it was nice to have something so solid again. The predator design was also pretty fantastic

Tasty

« Reply #40960 on: August 08, 2022, 08:52:02 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/8/8/23296010/hbo-max-streaming-freak-out-warner-bros-discovery-earnings

In light of what happened on Thursday, though, some of the rumors that flew ahead of the event look borderline histrionic: that HBO Max would be folded into Discovery+, reduced to a subsection within a much less popular app; that HBO Max would shed up to 70 percent of its development staff; that HBO Max might jettison its scripted originals altogether, putting even beloved, Emmy-winning shows like Hacks at risk. Instead, Zaslav and his lieutenants largely confirmed what we already knew—HBO Max and Discovery+ will combine into a single platform. A projected launch date, around summer 2023, was new information, but the blended service’s price point and even name have yet to be announced.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40961 on: August 08, 2022, 09:20:50 PM »
They are just going to have like the Brazzers' aggregate site that treats HBO Max like MILFs Like It Big. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40962 on: August 08, 2022, 10:56:14 PM »
An hour into Jurrasic park 6.  This is terrible and I'm having a good time. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40963 on: August 08, 2022, 11:28:32 PM »
This is actually a good blend of creature feature horror and old-timy action adventure.  They even got like Malta as a location and an WW2-era plane, that crashes because of a pterodactyl.  I'm pretty sure this movie's biggest crime is trying to cash in on the nostalgia of past characters that have always been paper thin instead of just using new cool characters like the one DeWanda Wise plays.  Like I'm pretty sure this movie would have been great if it came out in 2003 and was stripped of all the previous baggage from movies 3-5.     

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40964 on: August 08, 2022, 11:44:12 PM »
OMG the scene where chris pratt chokes a dilophosaurus.   :dead 

This is like 8/10 stuff.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40965 on: August 08, 2022, 11:53:41 PM »
Now they are recreating JP1 scenes but because they have 5 legacy actors they now have 7 people hiding behind a rotating upsidedown car  :dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40966 on: August 09, 2022, 12:12:21 AM »
Half these dinosaur CGI look like 60's claymation, and I think that adds to the movie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40967 on: August 09, 2022, 12:25:41 AM »
This movie was better than you'd expect from the 6th movie in a franchise set up to be 1 movie.  7/10. 

Tasty

« Reply #40968 on: August 09, 2022, 01:31:07 AM »
This movie was better than you'd expect from the 6th movie in a franchise set up to be 1 movie.  7/10. 

Just wait until Jurassic World Episode IX: The Rise of Neilwaker.

Bebpo

« Reply #40969 on: August 09, 2022, 01:37:47 AM »
Shaft in Africa was enjoyable. Kind of middle of the road old Bond flick meets some Indiana Jones meets Shaft. It's pretty crazy how the series in a few years went from like tight close up grainy shots in Harlem mafia/gangster to globetrotting spy adventures in Europe.

I think I liked Shaft's Big Score better for like 2/3rds of it with the mafia story stuff, but the climax for Big Score is zzzzzzz and the music kinda sucks, Shaft in Africa is more consistent and pretty comfort food outside when they kill a dog which is fucked up!

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40970 on: August 09, 2022, 01:59:45 AM »
Rewatched Last Night for the thousandths time.

I think people find this movie trite. But that's usually how infidelity happens.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40971 on: August 09, 2022, 02:51:06 AM »
"In my dreams I kiss your cunt, your sweet wet cunt. "

-a romantic professor x

HaughtyFrank

Tasty

« Reply #40973 on: August 09, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »
Even in context that scene comes off a bit weird.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40974 on: August 09, 2022, 06:30:27 PM »
Marvel is crazy

https://gizmodo.com/disney-marvel-movies-vfx-industry-nightmare-1849385834

“Even up until the last week or so they still weren’t sure what they wanted this gigantic set piece to look like. We were still doing concept art.” Hector said. Concept art is supposed to be the first thing you nail down before you start working on the pieces that will eventually be composited together to make up the shot. “And various parts of this sequence had already gone through the entire pipeline. You’ve got lighting renders, effects simulations, matte paintings, and animation.” All of this, ready to go, and Marvel still hasn’t approved concept art.

Talk about a movie coming in hot.

Not really sure why Marvel is so insistent on last minute changes. Is that really preferable over planning stuff out first?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40975 on: August 09, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
It's just what clients do unless they feel the pain of doing the work over and over again. It reminds me a lot of the web business I'm in and the videogame industry too.

And most of the managers are spineless cowards who screw themselves over with low fixed-price bids just to get work to make it to next month.
The sales people only care about making the sale since that's what they get paid for.

I'm sort of surprised none of these VFX shops had the balls to tell the client 3 months before their deadline: "All these reworks? It's not in the contract so that's gonna cost you some more money bud or we keep it as is".
Ask money for your reworks and quantify things, that's all it takes. For every shot you get 2 reviews, otherwise its more money for each review.
The best talent will automatically flock to the studio that does that. Instead of competing on price, you can compete on quality, experience and not having to reinvent the wheel for each project because everyone left or killed themselves.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40976 on: August 09, 2022, 06:59:47 PM »
It's more that they get directors from the indie circuit that aren't used to rough prerenders (plus Marvel isolates them from the action units and non-dialogue scenes anyways), so VFX houses are forced to produce near-final renders multiple times throughout production. Plus Marvel doesn't push back on directors that request a lot of changes, because they know they have the weight to throw around.

Feige's production style also has no room for delays or interruptions short of a global cataclysm like a pandemic. If he wants a movie out two years from now on November 6th or whatever, everyone involved has too much financial incentive to even try pushing back on timeframes.

And really, what's the downside? Mean comments about CG in nerdy YouTube videos. I'm sure Disney's used to those by now.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40977 on: August 09, 2022, 09:50:48 PM »
Think it was a VFX artist reacts episode where they showed a location changed in post production. The set has tree props as it was set in a forest. Got changed to a mud pit and the trees were replaced with rocks. Could be easier to retain continuity when a big sequence is set on a flat surface. Inevitably it’ll be like Bleach where every fight is in a white void.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40978 on: August 10, 2022, 01:20:39 AM »
Marvel is crazy

https://gizmodo.com/disney-marvel-movies-vfx-industry-nightmare-1849385834

“Even up until the last week or so they still weren’t sure what they wanted this gigantic set piece to look like. We were still doing concept art.” Hector said. Concept art is supposed to be the first thing you nail down before you start working on the pieces that will eventually be composited together to make up the shot. “And various parts of this sequence had already gone through the entire pipeline. You’ve got lighting renders, effects simulations, matte paintings, and animation.” All of this, ready to go, and Marvel still hasn’t approved concept art.

Talk about a movie coming in hot.

Not really sure why Marvel is so insistent on last minute changes. Is that really preferable over planning stuff out first?

Preferable ? Better for the movie ?
I don't want to say it never can be. But it's certainly harder on everyone and not best standard practice. Imagine building your own home with contractors and being able to have them redo the whole kitchen or second floor even when they're almost finished because you realize you now want the stairs 1m closer or you want all electrical outputs somewhere different.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40979 on: August 10, 2022, 01:32:01 AM »
It's just what clients do unless they feel the pain of doing the work over and over again. It reminds me a lot of the web business I'm in and the videogame industry too.

And most of the managers are spineless cowards who screw themselves over with low fixed-price bids just to get work to make it to next month.
The sales people only care about making the sale since that's what they get paid for.

I'm sort of surprised none of these VFX shops had the balls to tell the client 3 months before their deadline: "All these reworks? It's not in the contract so that's gonna cost you some more money bud or we keep it as is".
Ask money for your reworks and quantify things, that's all it takes. For every shot you get 2 reviews, otherwise its more money for each review.
The best talent will automatically flock to the studio that does that. Instead of competing on price, you can compete on quality, experience and not having to reinvent the wheel for each project because everyone left or killed themselves.

There's (several) dozens of somewhat significant VFX houses all over the world that can do some amount of work on those films even if there's only a handful of really big ones and by the very nature of their work their only revenue making is being a contractor.
There's only maybe... 5-7 clients that have jobs that big (remaining majors, Netflix and Amazon, I want to say) and Disney-Fox-Marvel is probably the one that have the most.

It's probably not realistic or feasible to fight back on prices in a systematic way no matter how justified it should be short of some sort of organized international effort which would be incredibly costly for them and every VFX technician.

I suppose you can run a VFX house that try to avoid taking those sorts of jobs and that's fine but size and growth will be capped accordingly.
ὕβρις