Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046279 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17040 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:21 PM »
Finished S2 of Mindhunter.

The case was 'resolved' I guess but you can't tell with all the political bullshit going on. It was quite accurate to real events I read so that's kinda shocking.

I'm wondering what they can do with a third season. My favorite character is Holden and I liked the new guy they were hanging out with in Atlanta much better than Gregg.
Wendy certainly got demoted to a sideshow after playing a vital role in the first season. Her entire plot this season was basically nothing.

the tench plot
I don't recall Brian finding any pictures or anything. In fact, Tench makes it a thing not to bring his work home so he doesn't have case files there.
The big 'scare' as I remember was that Brian found Tench's gun at some point and he started pointing it at things scaring the mom.
They make a small reference to that when he says he keeps his gun locked away at all times.

Anyhow, the 'my wife isn't happy and my son is autisty' scenes were one thing. But all the prolonged interviews with the child services were just yawn.
The strongest scene in the entire plot is Bill sitting down with Brian for ice cream and having a chat about his dad and telling his kid he's scared of him.
THAT was powerful. The rest is a wash.
[close]

Also for a guy that can almost read minds and has quite an understanding of human psychology, Holden is quite terrible at reading the room.  :lol

Not sure where they can take this in season 3. The main draw of interviewing mass killers was already pushed aside (more time was spend on subplots and the Atlanta case).
Some of the best scenes had nothing to do with the main plot at all. Still a great series but season 1 was clearly better.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Brian does find pictures in the first season. I binged it a week or so before S2
[close]

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #17041 on: August 23, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »

The case was 'resolved' I guess but you can't tell with all the political bullshit going on. It was quite accurate to real events I read so that's kinda shocking.

I'm wondering what they can do with a third season. My favorite character is Holden and I liked the new guy they were hanging out with in Atlanta much better than Gregg.
Wendy certainly got demoted to a sideshow after playing a vital role in the first season. Her entire plot this season was basically nothing.

the tench plot
I don't recall Brian finding any pictures or anything. In fact, Tench makes it a thing not to bring his work home so he doesn't have case files there.
The big 'scare' as I remember was that Brian found Tench's gun at some point and he started pointing it at things scaring the mom.
They make a small reference to that when he says he keeps his gun locked away at all times.

Anyhow, the 'my wife isn't happy and my son is autisty' scenes were one thing. But all the prolonged interviews with the child services were just yawn.
The strongest scene in the entire plot is Bill sitting down with Brian for ice cream and having a chat about his dad and telling his kid he's scared of him.
[close]

Also for a guy that can almost read minds and has quite an understanding of human psychology, Holden is quite terrible at reading the room.  :lol

Not sure where they can take this in season 3. The main draw of interviewing mass killers was already pushed aside (more time was spend on subplots and the Atlanta case).
Some of the best scenes had nothing to do with the main plot at all. Still a great series but season 1 was clearly better.

>My favorite character is the worst one

Bill>Wendy>Holden

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17042 on: August 24, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »

I love this show.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #17043 on: August 24, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
Netflix accidentally put up this title/description
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Fugitive Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) runs from his captors, the law and his past. Written and directed by “Breaking Bad” creator Vince Gilligan.”

:o
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17044 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »

the tench plot

[close]

Bill>Wendy>Holden
Bill is such a wage slave. Oh sure boss, I'll play the clown for all your friends.
Holden calls out dumb bureaucracy and actually gets shit done while the rest dick around

Wendy just moves from one abusive relationship into the next.

Poor Gregg fans, halfway through the season they forgot to film his scenes.
🤴

EightBitNate

« Reply #17045 on: August 24, 2019, 07:16:11 PM »

the tench plot

[close]

Bill>Wendy>Holden
Bill is such a wage slave. Oh sure boss, I'll play the clown for all your friends.
Holden calls out dumb bureaucracy and actually gets shit done while the rest dick around

Wendy just moves from one abusive relationship into the next.

Poor Gregg fans, halfway through the season they forgot to film his scenes.

So much of what Bill says is quotable. He’s been through a lot of shit and easily carries the biggest load in terms of his home life. He’s to the point but not conceited like Holden is.

Wendy is an extremely intelligent character. When she tells her girlfriend off at the front door of the apartment complex, I legit got goosebumps. Plus she gets way more shit than she deserves.

Holden is equally arrogant and inexperienced. He thinks he knows what’s best even if it means jeopardizing the jobs of other people. I think the writers know this. Note how they have you get upset that the new FBI director is praising Holden, but then the old one tears him into pieces and gives him a panic attack. It was cathartic seeing a character telling Holden off.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17046 on: August 24, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »
Netflix accidentally put up this title/description
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Fugitive Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) runs from his captors, the law and his past. Written and directed by “Breaking Bad” creator Vince Gilligan.”

:o

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17047 on: August 24, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
It might be a bit late for a follow up for Breaking Bad, especially with pretty much everyone dead.

Would rather have a movie about Ghost Walt haunting new cooks with Ghost Science.
People were skeptical about Better Call Saul too, and that turned out great so far.
I thought the open ending for Jesse was alright, but i wouldn't mind a follow up on him, his arc did feel a bit incomplete to me, and to be honest, i just trust Gilligan to know what he's doing at this point.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #17048 on: August 25, 2019, 04:38:18 AM »
___

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17049 on: August 25, 2019, 05:46:55 AM »
Just finished up Good Omens. Not sure how I feel about it. Was cool to see all the great scenes from the book on the screen, but something just didn't feel 100% right about it.
Spud

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #17050 on: August 25, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »
sacred games s2 - fuck this is great  :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #17051 on: August 25, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
sacred games s2 - fuck this is great  :lawd

Really excited to binge it. :lawd S1 was fucking great.

That scene where they feed pork to the Muslims has still stuck with me :whew

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17052 on: August 25, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
wrong thread  :-[

I just finished up Westworld S2, which I'd been holding off on because it got a ton of flak online for being too confusing or some shit, and when I finally watched it I was like  ??? (at the complaints, because it all made sense and wrapped a whole bunch of stuff up satisfactorily, to the point that it would work as a series finale not just a season)

Tasty

« Reply #17053 on: August 25, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
It was hokier and more mystery box-y than s1, which annoyed some people (including myself at points.)

And the cheesy "let's all be free in this digital utopia" ending for most of the hosts IMO is a) too much of a blanket happy ending for the series as it was written until that point, and b) works against some of the themes the series had been trying to convey IMO, around AI autonomy and self-determination (it was basically set up from the start by Ford, his ever-expanding genius cheapening the show the more it's revealed how much he had a hand in things.)

All IMO of course. Looking forward to s3 since it seems so different.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17054 on: August 25, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
I dunno, S1 had some great twists with the nature of Bernard and who the Man In Black was, when you can tell a story that spans decades and not tip off the viewer thats whats going on because most of the people involved are ageless immortals in an environment that never changes, so I wasn't expecting anything that well executed in S2, because its a great trick, but you can only pull it off once.

My only real complaints with S2 were that the shogun world tour was basically pointless filler, and that they walked Maeves character back from where it logically should have gone, presumably because they didn't want to make her the actual star of the show.
Thematically, choosing a freedom thats really just another prison, just one where you can't see the bars makes sense. So does touching on free will being mostly an illusion, and that the humans are just as programmed in their interactions and responses as any of the hosts are (and heavily implied, human programming free will is even more simplistic than AI).

Quaker

« Reply #17055 on: August 25, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
...and Holden Ford remains a very compelling character.
Is he? He's basically the textbook definition of milquetoast to me and not interesting as a character at all aside from smugly delivering the methodology of the BSU, which is fine because Tench is a fantastic foil to that. To me, that actor is as great of a discovery/showcase as Christoph Waltz after Basterds or Mark Rylance in Bridge of Spies. I was expecting the show to shift focus to Holden because it's the sophomore season of a Netflix show and those guys have no idea what they're doing but the opposite happened. Instead Tench basically becomes the lead due to a pretty outrageous contrivance in his personal life a few episodes in. I would be tempted to call bullshit on it in another movie or show but I appreciate the way that Bill and Wendy's home lives inform/are informed by the interviews and investigations. I was skeptical about the shift to the Atlanta case but I was satisfied enough with the conclusion.

- I usually roll my eyes at color grading nitpicks but it's so distracting that they made my girl Wendy look like she has jaundice.
- I was expecting a slick setpiece(because Fincher/Andrew Dominik) but there's not really anything that comes to mind aside from a bizarre Zapruder flourish that falls flat near the end that neither touched. Even season 1 had that slick "Fly Like an Eagle"/Steve Miller Band montage.
- I appreciate that instead of nostalgia bombing you like Stranger Things they're much more subtle about it, especially with the wardrobe. Probably cheaper that way?

Probably my favorite Netflix show? Off the top of my head, this and Russian Doll(and F1: Drive to Survive) are the only ones I'd consider consistently good that I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:36:15 PM by Quaker »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17056 on: August 25, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
You should give Ozark a shot, it's not bad.
Feels a bit like discount Breaking Bad.

You can probably count the good Netflix shows on one hand though.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #17057 on: August 25, 2019, 06:18:38 PM »
Been Watching the live action version of The Kings Avatar on Netflix enjoyed it to a point some thing are pretty similar some of the story elements have been shuffled around couldn't really complain until...

They introduced an evil twin for the MC, I am like what is this a 80's soap opera.  :confused :lol :rofl
[close]

I hope this is live action original cause if it's in the Chinese cartoon i'm like.  :nope
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #17058 on: August 27, 2019, 02:14:46 AM »
Enjoying Legion S2, about 1/3rd through. The show has way too much psycho-babble but otherwise it reminds me a bit of Brazil x Firefly x X-men.

EightBitNate

« Reply #17059 on: August 28, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
I don’t know how I’m just finding out about I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson on Netflix. Love this type of humor. It’s like a grounded Tim and Eric.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17060 on: August 29, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »
Went through Counterpart at an unhealthy pace.
Starts slow, but basically becomes Twelve Monkeys the TV show (i know there is an actual 12 monkeys tv show, but it doesn't have J.K. Simmons in it).

That final
spoiler for one of the final scenes
train station shootout was better than John Wick 3.  :doge
[close]

They says it's been cancelled after 2 seasons, but the season 2 finale worked perfectly as a series finale, don't even know how you could do a season 3.

After this, i'm taking a break from TV shows i think, i wasted way too much time on the couch lately, i'll turn into a potato otherwise.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17061 on: August 29, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
How is it The Good Place only keeps getting better? Just started S3 and both the scenario and humor feel like it's hitting its peak. Something about the irreverent humor is on point all the time.
:9

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17062 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
Starts slow, but basically becomes Twelve Monkeys the TV show (i know there is an actual 12 monkeys tv show, but it doesn't have J.K. Simmons in it).

That final
[close]

They says it's been cancelled after 2 seasons, but the season 2 finale worked perfectly as a series finale, don't even know how you could do a season 3.

After this, i'm taking a break from TV shows i think, i wasted way too much time on the couch lately, i'll turn into a potato otherwise.

And you didn't even mention the topless female assassin.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17063 on: August 29, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »

That final
[close]

And you didn't even mention the topless female assassin.
They go the Game of Thrones route, of having her show tits every other episode in S1, and then nothing for the rest of the show.  :doge

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17064 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
How is it The Good Place only keeps getting better? Just started S3 and both the scenario and humor feel like it's hitting its peak. Something about the irreverent humor is on point all the time.
Such a great show.
Spud

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17065 on: August 30, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Carnival Now and Dark Crystal is out today, both fantasy shows, i'll be in my bunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17066 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:05 PM »
Has anyone called Dark Crystal “Lord of the Strings” yet? If not, Dark Crystal is basically Lord of the Strings.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17067 on: August 30, 2019, 11:54:22 PM »
 ???

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17068 on: August 31, 2019, 12:25:39 AM »
Because they’re puppets, get it?
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17069 on: August 31, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
joe mo, lord of the butts  8)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17070 on: August 31, 2019, 05:45:32 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17071 on: August 31, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
joe mo, lord of the butts  8)

Big smoker, huh ?
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17072 on: August 31, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
carnival row is my kinda shit  :-\

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17073 on: August 31, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
I could see myself watching Dark Crystal.
Carnival Row only if the reviews are absolutely amazing.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17074 on: September 01, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
Finished carnival row, liked it. Its pretty slow and obvious but it touched an inch I had. I'll watch dark crystal over the next week.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17075 on: September 02, 2019, 03:42:34 AM »
Succession on HBO  :kermit

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17076 on: September 02, 2019, 03:43:18 AM »

It's pretty crap. Boobs though.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17077 on: September 02, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »
The Young Pope is so odd. I dig it. It has an auteur sensibility about it that reminds me of Too Old to Die Young. Need more of this stuff on TV. The humor is scathing at times too as it oscillates between levity, surrealism, and brimstone.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17078 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »

It's pretty crap. Boobs though.

Carnival Row or Dark Crystal? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17079 on: September 03, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
Lota puppet tits in both.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17080 on: September 03, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
One of the new contestants on British Bake Off is so damn pretty. 

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #17081 on: September 05, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »

Teacher? If so yes. Only hot one this season. I'm watching The Boys, it's pretty good, I hate marvel shit but this is gritty and actually decent.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #17082 on: September 05, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
Man The Sopranos is such a fucking slog.

At this point don’t even know why I’m finishing it; I’ve fast forwarded a lot of episodes, spoiled myself because I just don’t care, etc.

I don’t know if it’s a not aging well thing or what but this is just bad to me.

towards the end there's a real decline in quality, just like the wire.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17083 on: September 05, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is pretty great so far.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17084 on: September 05, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »

Teacher? If so yes. Only hot one this season. I'm watching The Boys, it's pretty good, I hate marvel shit but this is gritty and actually decent.

Alice.  think shes a teacher ya. 

Taskmaster is on again

https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1169522795019153408

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17085 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:15 PM »
BTW i lied about stopping with TV shows.

I've been watching Il Miracolo (The Miracle), though i didn't binge at least.

(all shots are from ep. 1).

It's really good, there are a couple of plot developments that play a bit too fast and loose with science for my taste, but still within the realm of the believable, and i find it annoying how some characters have an accent, while others have that dumb perfect diction you use to dub foreign movies.
It's really gorgeous and has a very peculiar vibe though.
If you like surreal shit like Twin Peaks, it's very much recommended.

Also it's got Godspeed You! Black Emperor AND Swans tracks, in the score.  :aah

Outside of Europe, i'm not sure it's available to get anywhere but torrent sites, but at least there are eng subs going around.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #17086 on: September 06, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
The character of Bernardo in The Young Pope. Never has a show portrayed the faulty sense of empathy in such a character. I am floored. Nihilism against ones faith.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17087 on: September 07, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
Watched one episode of the Dark Crystal, i appreciate the massive effort, and it looks very charming and beautiful (and grotesque), but i don't think i'll go ahead with it.
I was just bored to tears by the story/characters/world.

If i was younger i'd probably love it though, the creatures are cool to looks at.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17088 on: September 08, 2019, 02:56:32 PM »
Watched one episode of the Dark Crystal, i appreciate the massive effort, and it looks very charming and beautiful (and grotesque), but i don't think i'll go ahead with it.
I was just bored to tears by the story/characters/world.

If i was younger i'd probably love it though, the creatures are cool to looks at.
Same, sorry Jim.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #17089 on: September 08, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »
I started Dark Crystal in the airport, I like it so far 🤷‍♀️

bluemax

« Reply #17090 on: September 13, 2019, 01:37:14 AM »
Binged the first four episodes of The Righteous Gemstones, so good. It's a dark comedy about a family of ultra rich Televangelists. Think the Falwells only somehow more corrupt and evil. The cast is amazing, Danny McBride, Walton Goggins, John Goodman!

Also for The Bore it features a lot of man ass and dick.
NO

« Reply #17091 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
Just finished first season of The Sinner, it was kind of alright all said and done. I liked the detective's character, they struck the right balance between him being kind of broody and a bit on the spectrum without making him go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow like the guy from the River show.

The mystery itself ended up being kind of disappointing, it started out engrossing enough but it lost steam as the series progressed. Wasn't too big of a fan of teenage melodrama in my murder mystery series and the frequent flash backs were meandering constantly retreading similar grounds.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17093 on: September 15, 2019, 01:55:11 AM »
Watched one episode of that (undone).
Nah, dodn't care for the characters and writing at all.

I also didn't like Bojack Horseman though, so it makes sense.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17094 on: September 15, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »
Just finished first season of The Sinner, it was kind of alright all said and done. I liked the detective's character, they struck the right balance between him being kind of broody and a bit on the spectrum without making him go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow like the guy from the River show.

The mystery itself ended up being kind of disappointing, it started out engrossing enough but it lost steam as the series progressed. Wasn't too big of a fan of teenage melodrama in my murder mystery series and the frequent flash backs were meandering constantly retreading similar grounds.

Yeah, I quite liked it, and quite liked season 2 as well.
I think the biggest shock was that Jessica Biel can actually act, given how little evidence of that I've seen in anything of her prior career I've watched

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17095 on: September 15, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
I'll watch any old scifi shit that gets broadcast, so I'm going to recommend the critically panned Another Life on netflix as a really great hatewatch.

Because it's not a scifi show. Its a low budget teen horror flick, where its a bunch of stupid self-obsessed millenial arseholes acting like dicks, and then being killed off one by one.

Its glorious :lawd

• It doesn't know wtf it wants to be, so half the show is an Arrival knock off with scientists on earth trying to figure shit out and the other half is a BSG reboot knock off with a crew in space potentially representing whats left of humanity all alone and out for vengeance
  • It has a pretty great conceit, that it has a ton of backup characters in stasis, so whenever their computer guy (or whatever) gets red-shirted, they just defrost a new one :lol
  • It makes a super strong case that we should probably let the military handle shit like deep space expeditions, and not just a bunch of random fucking millenials who wanted to live their best life and do the most stupid shit you can imagine

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17096 on: September 15, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
I watched the first episode because Katee Sackhoff, but it was so bad. :lol
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17097 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I watched the first episode because Katee Sackhoff, but it was so bad. :lol

Milennial arsehole attempting mutiny, nearly wrecking the whole fucking ship, getting smacked the fuck down, then trying AGAIN and getting fried on conveniently not protected plasma vents, so they just defrost a new XO from cold storage?

:delicious

Ghoul

« Reply #17098 on: September 15, 2019, 06:07:54 PM »
re-watching breaking bad, it holds up well, looking forward to the Jesse film that comes out I believe in October.

Finished Dark Crystal that was pretty great, the middle was a little bit of a slog but the end two episodes are really good.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17099 on: September 15, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
Checked out the pilot for Altered Carbon. Very gripping. And the police officer is so hot. Consider me invested.
每天生气