Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 828692 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5580 on: April 26, 2019, 04:01:08 PM »
she means he felt all of her with The Force right?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5581 on: April 26, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »
And the current dumbest controversy in comics awards goes to...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-this-weeks-darth-vader-comic-is-causing-controversy-1834311320

https://twitter.com/PoeHotDameron/status/1121154475173933056
(see thread)

Fangirls are mad that there's a comic where an unstable Vader fangirl is treated as unstable. Because I guess implying the downsides of pop culture fanaticism is... bad?

:rofl

"THIS IS HOW YOU SEE *US* ISN'T IT?!?!"
 :social

Uh...no...?  But you apparently see yourself as obsessive and psychotic?  :doge
this is like when conservatives cape for tiki torch racists because they see themselves in it :lol

kingv

« Reply #5582 on: April 26, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »
PoeHotDameron.

Lol.

She should just read some savage dragon.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5583 on: April 28, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »

Apparently Thor and Odin were able to resurrect her and shes Cancer free iirc :yeshrug

Anyone read that reveal in "Heroes in Crisis"

I wonder how certain fans feel about it.   :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #5584 on: May 01, 2019, 04:44:39 AM »
I'm totally out of frame on everything. Most stuff I've been reading the last few months is out of the cape books completely or is in a different publisher.

But I read some collected editions from the library for Batgirl and the Birds of Prey and then Detective Comics with the whole Tim Drake arc. BoP was hit or miss, the whole story where every man in Gotham gets sick and leaves it to the women was a good idea that was terribly written, with way too many characters popping in (like Lois Lane and Wonder Woman), and such hacky trite dialogue that I'm not convinced the two FEE-MALE writers of the series actually wrote the issues instead of like some corporate white men trying to write "girl power" dialogue that also showed respect for men. (Also there was a suddenly inserted line by Renee referring to transgender "women" victims. That everyone just ignores lol) It was totally out of place and actually worse than if they really did write some feminazi type dialogue instead, it would have been at least interesting. Also, the series had a few fill-in artists who did a few pages here and there and good god were they awful. Just the worst. Web comics have better standards. There was a panel of Black Canary talking to what looked like two elderly women, then like two pages later from the plot I realize they're supposed to be like 8th grade students. Either that or Helena isn't paying attention to who's jumping in on her field trips.

Detective was great because James Tynion IV is just fantastic. But I gotta say, Babs taking Bruce to task perfectly, only for it to degrade into a worse version of something already done in the same arc and everybody having a whole loving moment was disgusting. Also, man did he really write Spoiler into a fucking god at everything or what, jesus christ. She goes from legit earning Bruce's respect, only for her to resurface as hacker better than anyone ever in the comics, WHO CAN RECOGNIZE CODE BY PERSONAL QUIRKS AND UNDERSTAND HOW TO COUNTER IT, and gets inspired by visions of her two week stint as both Robin and Batgirl in the pre-New52 reality. At least he had the decency to setup Cassandra with her belief in the symbol.

And I'm not praising him just because he had Anarky explain the actual anarchist view to Spoiler who had confused it like everyone does for promotion of chaos. The last time the character did that routine it was just part of anarchist propaganda by the writer. :lol

A few of those other "non-cape" books I had read recently and thought were pretty good, some are series and I maybe name dropped some of them before so whatever: Clue (yes, like the game and film), Gideon Falls, Oblivion Song, Hadrian's Wall, Black Hammer, Joyride, Kill or be Killed, The New Deadwardians, Reborn, The Great Divide, Harrow County

kingv

« Reply #5585 on: May 02, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »
I’ve been noticing a lot of cape books have terrible art lately.

Like even the return of wolverine has bad art.

Bad enough that I looked up the artist to see who he was, and then realized he’s drawn other stuff I liked.

But shit the art in that book is bad. They must be paying him like $5 a page or something.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5586 on: May 02, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
It feels like a lot of comic art went downhill over the last 15-ish years, but maybe that's just me.  There's clearly way more of a focus on the writers now.  It used to be the opposite in the 90s, and that was bad too.  Needs that happy medium!
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5587 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
I mentioned it before, but both Marvel and DC tried to do a thing where they hired cheap non-industry artists and threw them gobs of work as part of a program that's intent was to help bring in outsiders and help them move up as industry artists. DC shut this down because it was a spectacular failure, Marvel just changed the program's specifications for years. Both of them have increasingly signed online artists (not even ones who do online comics but DeviantArt people) even though many of these have no history of working on comic book deadlines. Even the good ones that haven't been quietly shoved out of the industry still aren't fast enough so they're needing more and more backup artists, except they keep filling these from the same pools. There's a whole host of backup artists who are just passable enough to hit the deadlines that keep getting work. If you can do a full slate of work AND backup you're treated like a god.

DC puts out specials of one-off stories for these types of artists plus writers they've hired under similar circumstances and you can often tell from those specials just how bad their series are going to go. Usually the person can't write/draw even a 12 page thing with like a six month deadline.

That said, from what I understand, DC has been way smarter about the contracts they're signing with these people so they can effectively fire them or shunt them off to unimportant/dying books. While Marvel keeps signing them to do a years long run with no out on the contract. Marvel's editorial in general continues to be a mess though, they make Jim Lee and co. look like they know what they're doing most of the time.

Neither one has yet figured out a way, which this whole thing was supposed to solve, to stop the problem of the long delays in getting art done on time. It delayed METAL so much* that you thought for sure DC wouldn't let Doomsday Clock get hit but yet... and both companies are still having this problem with regularly scheduled stuff in primary books. I almost think you have to start thinking about NOT signing artists to more than one book, like kingv's example you can often tell where the artists are prioritizing. Some of those Birds of Prey issues have single artists credited yet it looks like three different people drew the same issue depending on the amount of panels on a page.

*DC pretty successfully hid this imo by adding more parts to the METAL tie-ins using that pool of backup artists...but they also knew about this kind of thing because it almost doomed Final Crisis after they cleared the field for it and wound up having to find a completely different artist to finish it, when it finally happened again for METAL they got to put this into operation and it turned out smart.

kingv

« Reply #5588 on: May 02, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »
It’s an interesting problem.

In some ways, the comics are less important than ever when the MCU is making a billion $ in a weeekend, and even really popular books aren’t cracking 100k issues a month.

But at the same time, what does the MCU even look like without a comics business to back it up? Probably lose trademarks on a whole mess of characters, and the comics feed the movies pretty directly in a lot of cases and having a shitty comic product is slowly going to affect everything else too.

In my humble opinion, I think even established artists work is getting worse on average. Imo Humberto Ramos work on Spider-Man in 2018 is worse than what he was doing in X-men or Spider-man a decade ago.

It might partially be a penny pincher for Marvel and DC...  but the whole thing is kind of weird to me. On a side note, I think $4 is just too much for a freaking comic too. With inflation it’s probably fair or something, but it just seems like a lot of money for 5 minutes of reading.

benjipwns

« Reply #5589 on: May 02, 2019, 11:25:49 PM »
I think they both still make money off the books in the end. I'm pretty sure the single issues are loss leaders, but the TPBs and now online versions are almost free money. I'm sure individual series absolutely aren't, but may have other reasons for existing. DC's habit of cancelling and then immediately reviving the same series over and over again seem to indicate there's more than just flat money at work. Batgirl in particular is a great example of this. The economics on her book have to look just awful over the last decade. But yet there's pretty much a new version of her in the lead for a book somewhere at any given moment. Lots of "big name" people want to write a Batgirl version be it Barbara or Cassandra or whoever.

As long as Image, Dark Horse, IDW, etc. continue to exist without gigantic parent companies to eat the losses I can't imagine DC and Marvel not continuing to put out the amount they currently do. Especially when as you note, they are now using the comics as cheap resources to produce IPs to then make epic bank on in their other media ventures. I'm absolutely convinced this is why Green Arrow's series has lived so long in recent years. DC cancelled him back in the day because nothing they did could prop up Ollie and even his collected editions didn't sell, but Arrow has totally changed the whole equation.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5590 on: May 03, 2019, 01:26:44 AM »
I think marvel continues with the no names because they realize it doesn't affect the sales of big comics much and it's a better return for them than paying actual comic pros. 

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5591 on: May 03, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
marvel nerds explain.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5592 on: May 03, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
marvel nerds explain.

(Image removed from quote.)

Marvel wants money.

Haven't read it yet- I guess Conan has been sent to the present and MARVEL BADASSES™ come together to do thangs.  Doctor Voodoo seems pretty out of place in that line-up.

EDIT: Looks like Conan was brought into the present 616 universe in another separate Avengers miniseries.  JFC, can't keep up with this shit anymore.

Marvel has been looking for a home for Conan outside the context of the main series, and the publisher has landed on the idea of the Avengers. Avengers: No Road Home set up the status quo of Conan in The Marvel Universe relatively well, and his story continues in the pages of Savage Avengers #1. Readers are treated to the return of Infinity Wars creative team Gerry Duggan and Mike Deodato Jr. Each member of the creative team does a great job doubling-down on the irreverent bliss of the tone from Infinity Wars. The meat of the issue takes place towards the middle when Conan greets Wolverine with a brutal fight sequence. The battle between the two characters utilizes blocky characters and sound effects to portray an impressive level of violence. The sparse and chaotic dialogue evokes the carnal nature of Deodato’s artistic contributions to the issue incredibly well. The core flaw in the book is just how muddled and confusing Deodato’s work can be at times. It is difficult to logistically understand where some characters’ anatomy ends and other limbs begin. Deodato’s figures are so amorphous that it appears to be difficult for him to draw the same figure the same way twice. If Deodato’s superhero pencils were to work in any one ongoing series, it is hard for me to find a better fit for him than in the context of Savage Avengers. These more violent, muscle-bound heroes seem like a solid fit for his work.

Duggan does not get too far into the premise within this issue, but he does establish a strong relationship between the cast members. Readers only get to see the different cast members in the issue briefly. The story also does not clearly craft a mantra aside from being a title mostly focused on the adventures of present-day Conan. While the title does have an endearing, goofy nature, Duggan needs to integrate more character and personality into the scripts surrounding the cast members in the issue. Wolverine and Conan’s playful friendship and huge battle sequences are best from a scripting standpoint. The scene also depicts a strong lighthearted and naive side of Conan. If Duggan can craft more relationships like this in future issues, the book could potentially be onto something special.

Deodato’s artwork is concerning. The penciller uses massive, hulking figures with odd anatomy. These gargantuan characters don’t leave room for much for detail in panel backgrounds. The illustration for several team members include faces that look flat and emotionless. Deodato still does a great job creating a sense of movement in a couple of the action sequences. While Frank Martin tries to give Deodato’s work an appealing color palette, the oddly bright shimmer and hues of certain pages stick out for the worst. There has to be a better, more streamlined set of colors to make Deodato’s confusing art slightly less difficult to interpret. Deodato seems like he has a good time playing off Duggan’s physical comedy and action sequences. The layouts here are not quite as experimental as I have seen in other titles featuring Deodato’s pencils.

Despite clumsy artwork, Savage Avengers #1 is a solid way to kick off a new Avengers team. The fight sequence between Wolverine and Conan is almost worth the price of admission. I would recommend the title to anyone following or interested in the new direction for Conan in the context of the greater Marvel Universe. Savage Avengers is an amusing new direction for a few of Marvel’s most beloved anti-heroes.

Final Verdict: Savage Avengers #1 is a STRONG BROWSE that can fall in the buy or browse category at any moment going forward!
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5593 on: May 03, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
Lots of "big name" people want to write a Batgirl version be it Barbara or Cassandra or whoever.

What I would give to someday write a Tim Drake slice-of-life series

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5594 on: May 03, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
Scanned through Savage Avengers #1 real quick- it's mostly a giant fight scene between Conan and Wolverine.  Takes place in the Savage Land (makes sense for Conan).  Doesn't introduce all the characters right away and is all Conan, Wolverine, and Voodoo.  Punisher at the very end and that's it. 

I like how Conan starts using "bub" because Wolverine says it so much and acknowledges Wolverine as being from the land of Pabst after Conan says he's from Cimmeria.   :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5595 on: May 15, 2019, 07:32:41 AM »
Writer Jonathan Hickman, who takes over the X-Men franchise with July's House of X #1 and Powers of X #1, says that the "entire line" of X-Men comic books will be canceled to coincide with the launch of the two biweekly titles.

“I didn’t feel like just doing a new number one was enough. I also didn’t think that if we were serious about what we were trying to do we should have a mixed message in the market about what an X-book is,” Hickman explained of the decision to ComicBook. “So I argued for cancelling the entire line: Why it would work, why it was a good idea, and most importantly, why it was what we needed to do narratively to return the X-Men to their rightful prominent position in the Marvel Universe.”

“We needed to sell the idea that this is what we’re going to be doing for the next few years. So if you want to read X-Men books during the run from late-July through September, House of X and Powers of X are the only new X-books available and everything that’s going to follow is based on them,” he continued. “We wanted to be clear to the fans, to the stores, and just as importantly, to the creators who are going to be staffing these books in the future. We wanted the message to be very clear: This is a whole new era for the X-Men. This is what we’re doing now. And so, POX and HOX is how we’re starting. It’s a solid plan, I think.”
House of X and Powers of X (to be read "Powers of Ten," like the Roman numeral) will run for 6 issues each over three months, with each title publishing on an alternating weekly schedule.

Following that, Hickman says Marvel plans to relaunch the X-Men line, with some "traditional" titles, and some new ideas - including a new core flagship X-title which Hickman will write. What's more, it's all part of a multi-year, multi-wave plan to revamp the X-Men. More information will be unveiled at Comic-Con International: San Diego in July.
“At the conclusion of our 12 weeks of HOX and POX, we'll be launching an entire new universe of X-books,” Hickman revealed. “Some will be traditional fare, some carry through on ideas presented in HOX and POX. Some books are completely new concepts. I, personally, will be writing the ongoing flagship X-book.”

“Now, we're already in production on all of these 'Wave 1' books and our plan at this moment is to introduce the titles, creative teams, and publishing details around SDCC, which is a week before HOX #1 goes on sale. We also just finished our plans for our 'Wave 2' books that will debut in 2020 and we're getting ready to hire talent for those.

LOL.  They only really just recently relaunched everything:lol
:neogaf
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5596 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »
when are they bringing back Fantastic Four? :gopnik

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5597 on: May 15, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
when are they bringing back Fantastic Four? :gopnik

They already did last year.  Nobody cared.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5598 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
Uncanny X-Men #18 sounds like a trainwreck.

As Wolverine makes good on last issue’s promise to leave the X-Men behind, the team teleports off to confront the Marauders, who they believe are responsible for another Morlock massacre, in a subway tunnel.

Though the Marauders protest their innocence of the attack – “If we did this, I’d be proud,” says Harpoon – but the X-Men still lay-on.

Finally, in the middle of the melee, Blockbuster surrenders, saying they’ll give up if the X-Men accept their innocence of the Morlock murders. Cyclops accepts their surrender – but Chamber, who was living among the Morlocks during the recent massacre, lashes out anyway, scorching the Marauders with his intense power.

As the Marauders are reduced to literal cinders, Harpoon’s last act is to stab Chamber in the back – mortally wounding him. “He’s gone. His energy just… Went out,” laments Jamie Madrox as Chamber dies in his arms. Hope finishes Harpoon off with a shot to the head.

With Chamber and the Marauders all dead, the X-Men return to their makeshift headquarters only to find it engulfed in flames thanks to Mr. Sinister, who says he’s taking revenge for the death of his Marauders.

Sinister fights the X-Men to a standstill, duplicating his body hundreds of times before combining all the duplicates into a colossal version of himself. Seemingly without options, Havok unleashes nearly his full power.

The blast reduces Sinister back to his normal state, and he surrenders to the X-Men -  though some think the win is “too easy.” Thanks to his exertion, Havok is left partially intangible from molecular destabilization, and is confined to a hospital bed while Sinister is taken into custody. Karma reveals that she’s built a new X-Mansion, donating it to the team before departing apparently for good.

In the aftermath, Havok and Cyclops argue over what happened to Chamber and the Marauders – and over the identity of Emma Frost, who know one but Juggernaut seems to have any memory of. In the Hellfire Club headquarters, Emma Frost and Mystique scheme against the X-Men – while Mystique suddenly receives a phone call from Scott Summers.

:what
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5600 on: May 29, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
lol at after that totally unclear complaint about what he wanted he recommends fucking Sheriff of Babylon which takes the completely opposite view of what I think he seems to be suggesting King should have done here, Sheriff of Babylon completely and utterly is cynical about getting past your demons and doubts and all of the characters fail to do so to the point of both unintentional and intentional suicides
This would have been a prime opportunity for King to bolster the sometimes ham-fisted central message that you are not alone with an even more important addendum to seek help from a mental health professional, but the dialog instead leans hard into the idea that community and a sense of belonging are somehow all Wally needs to be cured.
Babylon does the former but totally goes straight for the everyone is self-destructing path and every character rejects "help" from the non-sufferers because they're broken beyond repair

also, is it me or does the complaint about the community thing conflict with the "you are not alone" request from earlier in the sentence???

i haven't read Heroes in Crisis, for one was waiting for it to complete, but it never sounded like it was going to work because I couldn't imagine DC Editorial letting King write anything permanently into a character, especially not one as important as Wally West

benjipwns

« Reply #5601 on: May 29, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
really what King should have done is have Wally ditch his outfit and his identity and have a suit built that has hundreds of spikes inside that he wears forever in pain amirite Marvel fans :doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5602 on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:17 AM »
I'm upset that King's Batman run is being cut short.

confident this will work out if they listen to him - https://www.thewrap.com/batman-tom-king-new-gods-ava-duvernay/

benjipwns

« Reply #5603 on: May 30, 2019, 03:00:28 AM »
burner accounts trashing people on Hollywood sites is always fun:
Jussie B Privileged • 2 hours ago

In an article earlier today, Ava played the PC victim card and said studios aren't letting her direct "genre films".

Sounds like she's directing this movie, a comic book movie, which is a genre.

Perhaps she is not aware that comic book movies are a genre. Someone needs to tell her. Maybe one of her staff can let her know if she doesn't. After all, her Net worth is 60 MILLION dollars. I'm sure she can hire someone to inform her of "genres".

She acts like she doesn't get any work, and that she's being discriminated against. When you're a multi millionaire (which she is), you are not struggling, and it's obvious studios are hiring her.

Self righteous tool.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5604 on: May 30, 2019, 04:56:33 AM »
Tasty, please write me an internet filter that deletes everything related to the culture war

« Reply #5605 on: May 31, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
I haven't read X-Men maybe in 10 years, but I was in a comic store a few days ago and saw some recent issues.

Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane) died, and Banshee returned. But I thought he died?

Can anyone explain why/how he's back?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5606 on: May 31, 2019, 10:17:25 PM »
burner accounts trashing people on Hollywood sites is always fun:
Jussie B Privileged • 2 hours ago

In an article earlier today, Ava played the PC victim card and said studios aren't letting her direct "genre films".

Sounds like she's directing this movie, a comic book movie, which is a genre.

Perhaps she is not aware that comic book movies are a genre. Someone needs to tell her. Maybe one of her staff can let her know if she doesn't. After all, her Net worth is 60 MILLION dollars. I'm sure she can hire someone to inform her of "genres".

She acts like she doesn't get any work, and that she's being discriminated against. When you're a multi millionaire (which she is), you are not struggling, and it's obvious studios are hiring her.

Self righteous tool.
Signed off with his real name. :wtf
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:01:51 AM by Rufus »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5607 on: May 31, 2019, 10:46:58 PM »
I haven't read X-Men maybe in 10 years, but I was in a comic store a few days ago and saw some recent issues.

IIRC, he was brought back by the Apocalypse Twins in Uncanny Avengers as the horseman of death and after that storyline, he went away for a while before being brought back as kind of a zombiefied version of himself on the X-Men.
ど助平

« Reply #5608 on: June 01, 2019, 02:50:48 AM »

IIRC, he was brought back by the Apocalypse Twins in Uncanny Avengers as the horseman of death and after that storyline, he went away for a while before being brought back as kind of a zombiefied version of himself on the X-Men.

Thanks.

That sounds perfectly in line with every other bit of nonsense in the X-Men universe.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5609 on: June 01, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »
Is Jubilee still a vampire? She should team up with zombie Banshee
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #5610 on: June 01, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
Doomsday Clock is awesome, feels like it's carrying forward a lot of Johns' themes from Infinite Crisis which is best crisis. :heartbeat

Tasty

« Reply #5611 on: June 01, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »
Well obviously, but if we ignored every dumb controversy in comics there would be nothing to talk about. :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #5612 on: June 01, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
Read through Brubaker's Kill or Be Killed over the last couple nights. Like all his stuff its a pretty well-written fast paced exciting thriller with twists and turns and very enjoyable. The ending is kinda weak though, some of the plot points are left kinda unresolved. Still a good read, I saw the rights were optioned by the John Wick director. I think it'd make a better couple season tv series than a movie but it could work as a movie.

One of the twists I liked was

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I liked the concept of there's this DEMON that tells him to kill people and he starts doing it and within 2 volumes he realizes oh shit it was all in my head because my drug dealer wasn't giving me the my anti-psychotic meds but valium instead, but now he's stuck in a cop/mouse/russians chase and has to try to find his way out.

But didn't like that they kept bringing up the IS IT REAL OR NOT with the demon and then never really resolve it. I think they should've just left that part alone for the 2nd half because as a thriller that's a good setup and that's all it needed to be.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #5613 on: June 01, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
I'm so glad Brubaker seems to be ready for tv/film splashes. Love his work but I think a lot of it is wasted on comics. For what he does and how well he does it, I think he could be better on screen.

benjipwns

« Reply #5614 on: June 01, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
Read through Brubaker's Kill or Be Killed over the last couple nights. Like all his stuff its a pretty well-written fast paced exciting thriller with twists and turns and very enjoyable. The ending is kinda weak though, some of the plot points are left kinda unresolved. Still a good read, I saw the rights were optioned by the John Wick director. I think it'd make a better couple season tv series than a movie but it could work as a movie.

One of the twists I liked was

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I liked the concept of there's this DEMON that tells him to kill people and he starts doing it and within 2 volumes he realizes oh shit it was all in my head because my drug dealer wasn't giving me the my anti-psychotic meds but valium instead, but now he's stuck in a cop/mouse/russians chase and has to try to find his way out.

But didn't like that they kept bringing up the IS IT REAL OR NOT with the demon and then never really resolve it. I think they should've just left that part alone for the 2nd half because as a thriller that's a good setup and that's all it needed to be.
[close]
I think he does resolve it effectively enough for the world created by the book by showing that it transferred. At that point, its reality doesn't matter.

Late to this, but I think the big mistake everyone is making here is to listen to every nerdgirl imaginable instead of reasonable complaints. It's something the industry learned a looooong time ago with manchildren. It's why you suddenly have an abusive relationship like Joker/Harley turn into Harley as a power fantasy for every teen girl in a phase and a psychopathic murderer's one true love.
Harley's own explanations of their relationship is so dumb now that it's hilarious. The only believable thing she's done regarding the Joker since Rebirth is stop him from dying from a virus. Nobody seems willing to write her without her going into a diatribe of excuses for the Joker's abuse because they know it has to be "addressed" at this point if you're stupid. She's no longer just a character who exists vis a vis the Joker, she's been in the Gotham City Sirens, worked with the Birds of Prey, has all of the Suicide Squad stuff, she has other relationships, but nobody can just ignore her original one and get on with it. Tom King is one of the few who managed this by having Batman realize the value of her medical skills and relationship with Ivy (and Selina) to grab her essentially out of a crowd of Gotham regulars.

Leading to that BATMAN HAS A MACHINE THAT PUTS HIS PANTS ON IN THE CAR panel. :delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #5615 on: June 01, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
Most origin stories are garbage and it's best to just accept them and move on. But for some reason, comics especially, can not ever stop obsessing over how a character originates. Look at how many times people have rewritten Superman's origin to try and "fix" elements.

Bebpo

« Reply #5616 on: June 01, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
I'm so glad Brubaker seems to be ready for tv/film splashes. Love his work but I think a lot of it is wasted on comics. For what he does and how well he does it, I think he could be better on screen.

Yeah, Brubaker is a good fit for tv/movies because his stuff is good and exciting and has some original ideas but isn’t too artsy or weird to be indie. He’s basically quality & smart mainstream thriller writing with bit of strange.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5617 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
Is Jubilee still a vampire? She should team up with zombie Banshee

De-vampire'd and has her fireworks powers back:

After Monet falls under the influence of her brother, Emplate, and attacks the school, she fights Jubilee and takes away the medallion she uses as protection from sunlight. Monet then threw her out of the school and as the sunlight began burning Jubilee, Quentin Quire sacrifices the shard of the Phoenix Force he carried within him to save her from certain death, curing Jubilee of her vampirism and restoring her mutant powers in the process.

:dizzy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5618 on: June 03, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-cebulski-teases-permanent-death/

Marvel Editor in Chief Teases More Permanent Comics Deaths
"I don't want death to be used to boost sales or to use as a shock value so people go 'Oh my God, Johnny Storm is dead!' or 'Wolverine is dead!' knowing that they're going to be coming back," the editor said at a comic convention in Sweden. "If we choose to do it now, we're going to add a little more weight and permanence to the decision."

:crowdlaff :girlaff

How about just stop killing off characters, particularly ones popular enough that people are going to want them back?  You can have them retire or just take them out of whatever book rotation if you want to replace them with someone else for a time.  There's other things that can be done to drum up interest and sales apart from "death of" storylines. It's played out as hell.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5619 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »
LOL it must be a rule that the comics industry is on a "tick-tock" cycle with regards to permadeath, like Intel's chipsets... one year it's "THIS IS SO FUCKING PERMANENT GUYS OMG ISN'T IT DRAMAAAAAATIC WHEN SOMEONE DIES???" and the next it's "Fuck, sales are down... aaaaaand REALITY PUNCH everyone's back again!"

Tasty

« Reply #5620 on: June 03, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Also the more I think about it the more I kinda dig the ending of Heroes in Crisis... it's a shame the in-book dialog seems so dreadful and on-the-nose, though...

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5621 on: June 03, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
I had hoped cheese bread cebulkski was the chosen one to turn marvel around, should have known I was wrong when I learned he was a weeb

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5622 on: June 03, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
Also the more I think about it the more I kinda dig the ending of Heroes in Crisis... it's a shame the in-book dialog seems so dreadful and on-the-nose, though...
I love Tom King's writing tbh with you, both when he's super abstract and blunt as fuck, I feel he knows where to use certain writing styles /fanboy

Tasty

« Reply #5623 on: June 03, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
King was god-tier on Grayson but mixed on Batman, and those are all I know him from really.

Batman: Three Jokers is 50% done:

https://twitter.com/jasonfabok/status/1135559324728737792

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5624 on: June 03, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »
Read Mister Miracle :maf

Tasty

« Reply #5625 on: June 04, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Marvel :jeanluc

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5626 on: June 04, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
What did they do now? Lmao

Tasty

« Reply #5627 on: June 04, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »
No I'm just an unrepentant *DC fanboy lmaooo

Will give MM a shot... after I clear my recent backlog.

Just caught up on Doomsday Clock, now I have to finish up pretty much all of King's Batman run, some the post-Rebirth-brand Detective Comics, and Adventure of Super Sons...

Though thankfully (lmao) DC isn't putting out anything good enough right now for me to add it to the pile, so I have some time to catch up. :lol

But this is pretty much how I consume comics... let my subs pile up for a few months then blast through it all when there's a lull.

Tho if a book is really great I'll try to follow it monthly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:16:12 PM by Tasty Meat »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5628 on: June 04, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Mister Miracle is DC...
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5629 on: June 04, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
Yeah MM is a Tom King book Tasty, New Gods n shit. Should be relevant to lord over movie fans as there's a new gods movie coming up

Tasty

« Reply #5630 on: June 04, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
Jesus fucking Christ I'm getting too high lately

Tasty

« Reply #5631 on: June 04, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »
How the fuck did I confuse that with his Vision run :doge

The wires in my brain are all sorts of fucked up :doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5632 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
Pride month weed is best weed  :rogan

Himu

« Reply #5634 on: June 11, 2019, 02:59:54 AM »
Transformers comics are great. IDW is great but I’m really surprised how good the Marvel line is too. Despite the cynical adage transformers was made to sell toys, I feel the comics and even toys help it rise above that mere label.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5635 on: June 11, 2019, 03:01:05 AM »
Also I might have to start getting back onto Dc. They seem to have a lot interesting books out now. What’s good now?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:18:46 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5637 on: June 11, 2019, 06:26:44 AM »
Also I might have to start getting back onto Dc. They seem to have a lot interesting books out now. What’s good now?

I'd usually be a good person to ask but Bendis has kinda ruined my parade...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5638 on: June 11, 2019, 08:07:22 AM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/10/rob-liefeld-predicts-the-collapse-of-dc-comics-soon/

How can you not believe ROB!?  Rob, who had a falling out with DC and doesn't work for them!?  HE KNOWS WHAT UP

:neogaf
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5639 on: June 11, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
Read Mister Miracle :maf

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/10/rob-liefeld-predicts-the-collapse-of-dc-comics-soon/

DC in disarray but not Marvel? :kek
bleedingcool? :kek
Rob Feetfield? :kek

all three of these not even once