Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 826303 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5640 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »
Also I pretty much hate IDW with a passion, they're up for sale for a reason, mostly cause their books have been trash for a long time, sales have evaporated and their creators are toxic as fuck on twitter lol

Himu

« Reply #5641 on: June 11, 2019, 04:50:46 PM »
Also I pretty much hate IDW with a passion, they're up for sale for a reason, mostly cause their books have been trash for a long time, sales have evaporated and their creators are toxic as fuck on twitter lol

transformers is good tho
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5643 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:29 AM »
I'd usually be a good person to ask but Bendis has kinda ruined my parade...
Good news, guess who gets to be in charge of the next big company wide crossover?

Even better, he's reviving Morrison's Leviathan organization but changing it to be a Superman villain! With Talia replaced by someone "close" to Clark.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5644 on: June 12, 2019, 12:35:09 AM »
oh no louis/jimmy villain again, oh no

benjipwns

« Reply #5645 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:42 AM »
Pete Ross was the first one I thought of :lol

or "Lana" but it turns out to really be Pete Ross! Like that hasn't already been done a hundred times.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5646 on: June 12, 2019, 12:41:35 AM »
Even better, he's reviving Morrison's Leviathan organization but changing it to be a Superman villain! With Talia replaced by someone "close" to Clark.

Maybe I'm just not going back to DC stuff until he's gone or moved to something irrelevant. 
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5647 on: June 12, 2019, 12:41:53 AM »
maybe they'll bring back Kenny Braverman (Conduit)! he was Hush (guy you never heard of who was apparently secret best friends with the hero as a kid and now years later wants to kill him) before Hush!

Based Snyder even put him in Man of Steel!

benjipwns

« Reply #5648 on: June 12, 2019, 12:42:58 AM »
 :punch look at total this fucking 90s villain with his fuckin 90s gun :gun

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5649 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:47 AM »
:punch look at total this fucking 90s villain with his fuckin 90s gun :gun

(Image removed from quote.)

ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5650 on: June 12, 2019, 01:02:21 AM »

TBH he doesnt affect me as I dont read super books
Maybe I'm just not going back to DC stuff until he's gone or moved to something irrelevant. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:35:57 AM by Momo »

Tasty

« Reply #5651 on: June 12, 2019, 01:25:05 AM »
I'd usually be a good person to ask but Bendis has kinda ruined my parade...
Good news, guess who gets to be in charge of the next big company wide crossover?

Guess there's a reason Doomsday Clock and Super Sons are my only active subscriptions left, and they're both ending next issue. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #5652 on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:39 AM »
how did Geoff Johns go from writing like five and a half books a month as well as ghost editing as many plus advising the films to you could tell me he was dead

he was writing like three Green Lantern books, The Flash, the groundwork for Flashpoint, the scripts for Green Lantern and Man of Steel etc. at one point :lol

Tasty

« Reply #5653 on: June 12, 2019, 01:47:23 AM »
Yeah Johns went hard there for a few years, even writing big important JL arcs too. Probably burned himself out, though I'm not sure who's to blame for Doomsday Clock's delays.

Tasty

benjipwns

« Reply #5655 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
Been reading some New 52 garbage I never bothered with before like Aquaman (and the Others) and Green Lantern. AND RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS. lol at everything about Green Lantern and all the different colors and everything that happens and how they resolve literally every threat being basically the same. (OH NO THERE'S ACTUALLY A BIGGER THREAT!) The Red Lanterns series was surprisingly good though until the ending, the tone shift from the original premise a few issues in is jarring but wound up making the adventures more fun and something like Exiles.

Actually, the last few issues of almost every New 52 series I can think of falls into nonsense, once they were moving onto Rebirth and none of the new writers wanted to start before so they're all replacement writers pushing out only 3-6 issues that just go off the rails and nobody picks up on it after. I sorta remember something similar happening in the months before Flashpoint. Like that stupid Reign of Doomsday crossover in the Supes books. Lots of high quality awful art too. Especially in the Green Lantern books where they have to flesh out the backgrounds with random extra Green Lanterns.

Aquaman is especially bad about this, it spends like 45 issues building up all this new fun mythology for the character and Atlantis, then CONVERGENCE and all the sudden the art turns into complete garbage and suddenly Aquaman is a hunted homeless guy with a bunch of refugees who are never drawn consistently who Mera has ordered to kill and also the world is ending from a secret dark world but they wrap it quick because the New 52 is ending at #52 so everyone acting weird was because SHAPESHIFTERS and etc. IIRC, the same exact kind of thing happens to Wonder Woman and The Flash. Wonder Woman has Donna Troy suddenly show up with a new backstory and everything but they got ditch it and wrap things up because after Rebirth they're tossing it all out anyway. Justice League Dark basically falls apart, kicks out Zatanna and turns into an awful Constantine solo book. :lol

New 52 :american

Tasty

« Reply #5656 on: June 18, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS

Fuck Scott Lobdell.

I'm still boycotting Happy Death Day.

benjipwns

« Reply #5657 on: June 18, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
I think I actually liked his parts of Red Hood and the Outlaws more than James Tynion IV's even though I usually love Tynion's stuff, Lobdell makes it a dumb action book with an ongoing MacGuffin plot thing, Tynion tried to write too much mythos into it and include all the stuff from Batman and Green Arrow's worlds and the Titans and Ra's Al Ghul and Jason losing his memory and the League of Assassins and blah blah. The Starfire stuff that everybody complained out back when it first came out didn't turn out as bad as it seemed though I can see why most people would instantly read it as "dumb bimbo" rather than "finds human customs so weird and nonsense" especially if nobody read past the first issue. Not too far in to the series they randomly go to space and she's the same but now Jason and Roy are out of sorts and Starfire just explains something to another alien as "it's a human thing" and they go "Ah." It sorta works, I actually missed her character when the book went to without her. Joker's Daughter is a bad replacement, especially since the artists couldn't figure out how to draw her when she's supposed to be SIXTEEN.

Arguably the funniest thing is that the Helspont/Daemonite plot, which at the start of New 52 is in all kinds of books and he gets his own monologue issue to Superman and everything making it seem like it'd be some big crossover at some point, then he totally disappears, he's the final bad guy in Red Hood and the Outlaws before DC YOU kicks Starfire out, and he just randomly gets blasted by one of his own weapons and is vaporized. He even says something like "the Daemonite thing went nowhere, my new plan is better" when he shows up. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #5658 on: June 18, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
best Red Lanterns character:

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5659 on: June 18, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »
I miss all the different Lantern faction books.  I never really got into GL before New 52 and enjoyed the initial series that they had.

Arguably the funniest thing is that the Helspont/Daemonite plot, which at the start of New 52 is in all kinds of books and he gets his own monologue issue to Superman and everything making it seem like it'd be some big crossover at some point, then he totally disappears, he's the final bad guy in Red Hood and the Outlaws before DC YOU kicks Starfire out, and he just randomly gets blasted by one of his own weapons and is vaporized. He even says something like "the Daemonite thing went nowhere, my new plan is better" when he shows up. :lol

WTF :lol

My favorite New 52 stuff (some of it also pre New 52) is everything from Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, and/or Amanda Conner- mostly female character books but Palmiotti also did All-Star Western with Jonah Hex which was awesome.  It had ties to Batman with 1800s Gotham and even was part of the Court Of Owls event. 

The other books and reading order are something like Supergirl #13 (2007) -> Terra -> Powergirl #1-12 -> Harley Quinn (New 52) -> Harley Quinn & Powergirl -> Starfire, IIRC.  Are all pretty much self-contained and were a lot of fun to read.  I think they all moved on from DC after Starfire, but Amanda Conner still does covers here and there.  Need to see what Palmiotti has been doing lately. :thinking
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5660 on: June 18, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
Oh hey, they have a website: https://paperfilms.com/

Looks like he's done with comics for now and is making films.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5663 on: June 18, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
Depends how you feel about bad robot's output, I haven't liked anything since fringe. In an exclusive deal with Warner, let's not think they won't try and pitch shows/movies based on their properties

benjipwns

« Reply #5664 on: June 18, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »
Bad Robot already had a deal with Warner's on TV, this is for its films. Plus Warners already paid $400 million to Greg Berlanti to keep him in their house.

Tasty

« Reply #5665 on: June 18, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
Oh.

Nah JJ's fine.

Nothing in the future of human history would be as bad as giving Snyder control, so I'm honestly pretty chill about whatever they do.

Fox, and even WB though with far less success, have shown that self-contained, smaller scale movies like Shazam and Logan can both work and please the normally-intractible comics nerds. If something isn't chained to a larger universe, it's allowed to be more creative and thus a bit closer to the comic books (I feel.)

I never got the impression JJ is one for cape movies though, he'll probably do one eventually to get it out of his system but the dude sees himself as Spielberg Jr., and I don't think Stephen's ever done a cape movie either.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5666 on: June 18, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
JJ isn't the worst but his two lackies he assigns things he gets bored of are fucking terrible

Tasty

« Reply #5667 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »
Bad Robot already had a deal with Warner's on TV, this is for its films. Plus Warners already paid $400 million to Greg Berlanti to keep him in their house.

To be fair to Berlanti, the only one that comes close to his output and name cache is Ryan Murphy (signed recently to Netflix for big bucks, nache.)

And then you realize that Berlanti is producing 18(!!!) different series across like six networks and shit. So $400 mil might seem about right. :doge

And it makes sense Warners would be trying to lock JJ down after Murphy flew the coop.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5668 on: June 18, 2019, 01:35:18 PM »
The Arrowverse is coming to an end really, with Arrow ending Flash not being too far away, Legends being not to tied in and Supergirl being well Supergirl, idk why they are even doing this new Batwoman show.

Tasty

« Reply #5669 on: June 18, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
JJ isn't the worst but his two lackies he assigns things he gets bored of are fucking terrible

I think they're all broken up and have been for a while... At the very least I haven't heard anything about Orci in forever, and Kurtzman's busy running/ruining Star Wars (this is contingent on how Picard turns out.)

Tasty

« Reply #5670 on: June 18, 2019, 01:39:35 PM »
The Arrowverse is coming to an end really, with Arrow ending Flash not being too far away, Legends being not to tied in and Supergirl being well Supergirl, idk why they are even doing this new Batwoman show.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think their intention is to have a rolling stable of shows debuting in the universe to keep people engaged when the older shows eventually wrap up (as Arrow's doing.)

Arrow: 2012
The Flash: 2014
Supergirl: 2015
Legends of Tomorrow: 2016
Batwoman: 2019

Honestly they're probably waiting for some of the shows to end before starting up new ones... You can tell they found a good stride to keep things together after Legends launched and they had four plates in the air.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5671 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Rumour is he was kicked from Picard and this deals seems to effectively curb future BR star trek

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5672 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to watch any of those shows once Arrow and Flash is done. Legends is a legitimatly fun show but no one cares.

benjipwns

« Reply #5673 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
The CW has fewer slots than other channels because it only does 8-10 and S-F. So it's capped at 12 slots and they're also doing the Archie spin-offs using the Arrow model now.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5674 on: June 18, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
I dunno what the fuck is going on with DC universe, but the shows on there is legit fantastic, Doom Patrol is my favourite cape TV show of probably forever and the Swamp Thing stuff didn't start bad. People seem to like Titans (I don't) but yeah most of that stuff seems good.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5675 on: June 18, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Sorry to inform you this, but Swamp Thing was cancelled after it’s first episode.
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5676 on: June 18, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
Yeah I know, aren't they still airing the 10 episode run though?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5677 on: June 19, 2019, 01:19:32 AM »
I believe so, I just didn’t want you getting too attached to a dead show walking
WDW

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5678 on: June 19, 2019, 05:12:36 AM »
:heart

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5679 on: June 19, 2019, 05:13:19 AM »
i'm going to have to assume Doom Patrol is dead too and that show is legitimately excellent :fbm

Tasty

« Reply #5680 on: June 20, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
Momo, guess who!!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-is-writing-a-spider-man-comic-1835689544

Wow, that cover is... really bad.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5681 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:08 PM »
Momo, guess who!!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-is-writing-a-spider-man-comic-1835689544

Wow, that cover is... really bad.

Thankfully the cover artist isn't doing the rest of the art.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5682 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:43 PM »
Cant be worse than the current shit Spider Man is  :trumps

kingv

« Reply #5683 on: June 21, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »
I kind of like most of Nick Spencer’s run.

Tasty

« Reply #5684 on: June 21, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #5685 on: June 23, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/22/removing-vertigo-ink-zoom-dc-comics/

Didio straight up admitting they're gonna censor books now that the Teen+ (15+) rating is gone leaving just "DC" (13+.) Some of the republished Teen+ books may hit Black Label unaltered, but the majority are going to have to deal with a lower age rating.

Fantastic. I don't see this backfiring at all.

Man, Batschlong really fucked things over. And I don't even know why. Who cares if an explicitly 17+ gated book shows a dong? And for that matter, why care whose dong it is.

Tasty

« Reply #5686 on: June 23, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
Sorta glad Bendis presaged all this so I could mostly bail out of comics and DC early, cause if this happened last year and it involved some books I liked, I'd be nerdraging like no one's business.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5687 on: June 23, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
:yikes

Guess I'm sticking with Marvel.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5688 on: June 24, 2019, 01:56:25 AM »
Even if DC gets worse, it never gets near Marvel level trash  :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #5689 on: June 24, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »

Bad thing is I can see the current direction leading to that kind of ruination...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5690 on: June 24, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »

They're all trash :trumps
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5691 on: June 24, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
That's true :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5692 on: June 24, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Excited for Hickman X-men though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5693 on: June 24, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Excited for Hickman X-men though.

Yeah, definitely.  X-Men has needed something like this for years so looking forward to it.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5694 on: June 24, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/22/removing-vertigo-ink-zoom-dc-comics/

Didio straight up admitting they're gonna censor books now that the Teen+ (15+) rating is gone leaving just "DC" (13+.) Some of the republished Teen+ books may hit Black Label unaltered, but the majority are going to have to deal with a lower age rating.

Fantastic. I don't see this backfiring at all.

Man, Batschlong really fucked things over. And I don't even know why. Who cares if an explicitly 17+ gated book shows a dong? And for that matter, why care whose dong it is.

Serious question, do kids even read comics anymore?!

I always figured the industry stays solvent primarily based on adults who read them as kids + a way to keep trademarks current for movies.

Edit: also weird because dc’s market share had went up a good amount over the last few years, so the current t strategy seems to be working.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:41:48 PM by kingv »

Tasty

« Reply #5695 on: June 24, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
It's amazing what giving a shit about characters and continuity can do to a brand (Rebirth.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BENDIS :ltg
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5696 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:35 AM »
BendUS  :foxx

Edit: also weird because dc’s market share had went up a good amount over the last few years, so the current t strategy seems to be working.
I suspect this is mostly since Axl Alonso fucked up Marvel and people jumped ship, DC changing this shit up is weird yeah, Marvel is still out there clowning, DC is writing the better books so I dunno why. Havent checked the sales numbers in a good few weeks though so there might be a clue there.

kingv

« Reply #5697 on: June 29, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
I did check sales and dc still looked liked it was doing pretty well. Certainly better than they were in the new 52 years. I figure this will probably not work outnfor them, even though I do think comics appropriate for like 12 year olds does kind of make sense to have out there, but obviously not st the expense of their existing fan base.

benjipwns

« Reply #5698 on: June 30, 2019, 04:32:38 AM »
I never understand why they always try overhauling the entire line when both companies, DC especially, have always had plenty of success marketing to multiple customer bases, or why they think people "look for the DC bullet" to mean anything except DC characters

DCYOU was a hilarious disaster in which about the only things that succeeded were the ones specifically against the attempted "diverse-culture-aware" branding changes like Tom King's stuff, the tryhard "Gen Y/community" Robin stuff all fell flat on its face and they pretended it never happened, Rebirth pretty much completely wiped out "Batgirl of Burnside" except for her dopey outfit, they killed that Superman rather than try to fix what they did to him, nobody even mentions Gordon-Bunny-Batman, etc.

And stuff like Batman goes against what DiDio is talking about, it's been a darker series both visually and thematically than a lot of DC stuff since the 1970s, lots of visual violence, murders, mental illness, etc. and none of the books have ever been shuffled off onto Vertigo, which was never always purely a place for "mature" readers as much as it was a label for the non superhero books or ones totally outside the DCU (or only wink-wink associated) stuff like Swamp Thing got shuffled there because it stopped being about him having superhero type exploits and he started hanging out with gods and demons and trees instead of Superman

benjipwns

« Reply #5699 on: June 30, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
lmao at this being an actual variant cover