Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819096 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #5880 on: September 08, 2019, 04:53:01 AM »
Just finished reading Preacher Book 1.

Fairly entertaining, if a bit edgelord at times. I went in completely blind. I expected some sort of story about a preacher doing around killing bad guys, like a religion Punisher, but turns out it's a super crazy ass story of God, demons, serial killers, vampires featuring a cameo by John Wayne. I think I'm going to order the rest of the books.

Book 1 ends up at the Louisiana farm ? It's actually somewhat of a slow start (at least the whole first half setting up the premise) believe it or not, it really gets going after that. There's a noticeable dip in quality in one specific late storyline which really feel like filler but it ends up strong. It's well worth seeing it to the finale. It's crazy nineties edgy but it's never to the detriment of the characters.

DOOM COCK.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5881 on: September 08, 2019, 07:12:23 AM »
If I wanted to get back on Comics, should I stick with a couple of books, or an area? Last time I read regularly, it was SAGA, and the Hickman runs on F4.

pretty much standard advice is follow authors not characters, especially returning to things where you're not invested in seeing where a universe is going or anything.

Shuri

« Reply #5882 on: September 08, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »

Fairly entertaining, if a bit edgelord at times. I went in completely blind. I expected some sort of story about a preacher doing around killing bad guys, like a religion Punisher, but turns out it's a super crazy ass story of God, demons, serial killers, vampires featuring a cameo by John Wayne. I think I'm going to order the rest of the books.

Book 1 ends up at the Louisiana farm ? It's actually somewhat of a slow start (at least the whole first half setting up the premise) believe it or not, it really gets going after that. There's a noticeable dip in quality in one specific late storyline which really feel like filler but it ends up strong. It's well worth seeing it to the finale. It's crazy nineties edgy but it's never to the detriment of the characters.

DOOM COCK.
Yes, it ends at the conclusion of the farm arc.  I'll check out the other books then.

I also checked out the first episode of the tv show and  :kobeyuck what a weird take on the story.. I mean, people are doing their best but it's pretty far from how I imagined the characters when I read the book. The Preacher feels super weak (but I guess he's gonna get back his balls when he gets possessed) and the way Cassidy is introduced felt off in tone. Same thing with Tulip. In the comics, shes knows how to fight but she's pretty much forced to do the hit job but in the pilot she's acting like Hit-Girl, kicking asses, using catchphrases and acting all sassy and witty.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5883 on: September 08, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
To be fair I think a more direct adaptation would have been doomed from the start if only out of budget and artistic limitations. I've never cared enough to watch it but some people I know do think it's passable and that it has enough of an identity and a voice to justify its own existence.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5884 on: September 08, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »
If I wanted to get back on Comics, should I stick with a couple of books, or an area? Last time I read regularly, it was SAGA, and the Hickman runs on F4.

pretty much standard advice is follow authors not characters, especially returning to things where you're not invested in seeing where a universe is going or anything.

Hmm, okay. I'll probably pick up a couple of Xmen books Hickman is writing after the relaunch then.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5885 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
oh god the photo, the whole actor arc, Johns you bastard you should have started with this, that whole issue, "you're from the past, the past won't be erased" and the lantern

argh, he's going to pull this off after all, the son of a bitch

still think this could have been more like eight issues, or at least done less Watchmen filler and more Superman Theory background

i like how Batman and Alfred are just out doing their own thing, taking their time and nobody else really cares

benjipwns

« Reply #5886 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
The Wicked + The Divine's coda was an unnecessary addition to a series full of amazingly unnecessary diversions

well, I guess the main thing to do is decide mostly what kind of thing you want, cape books, a completed story, works more like Saga, etc.

if you want to get back into Saga, it's on hiatus for a year or more so you can run up to the current endpoint (they intend on doing it as "seasons" from here on to stop the delays)

for Hickman, definitely check out The Manhattan Projects and East of West, the former is complete (the relaunch is never coming back imo), the latter is basically coming to an end now, I enjoyed both quite a bit

Saga is of course, Brian K. Vaughn, he's completed Paper Girls which was pretty fun, farther back and in Marvel he did Runaways which is fantastic and still unique, Ex Machina is interesting if a bit on the nose, there's always Y: The Last Man too, which remains apparently unadaptable and like Ex Machina makes itself end with a dud because it violates what was originally a rule to not explain everything

um, Powers is pretty good, Planetary is even better, both start with P's like Preacher

Tasty

« Reply #5887 on: September 11, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #5888 on: September 11, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
How the fuck do you ditch the red black and yellow, that shit was iconic :rage

benjipwns

« Reply #5889 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »
I actually like Drake more than Red Robin.

For one, Red Robin seemed like so suddenly tacked on and then so suddenly applied to Tim because they had to shuffle the identities with Damian.

Two, Red Robin is the name of a restaurant.

This also makes me wonder, is Duke Thomas, AKA THE SIGNAL, dead or what. Or did they all just forget he existed.
An alternate version of Stephanie Brown, Tim Drake’s love interest and the fourth Batgirl, also calls him Drake.
what, alternate?

these two are the new Donna Troy's

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5890 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »

:ryker
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5891 on: September 11, 2019, 07:49:38 PM »
Like I actually sat on it for a bit. I’ve been wanting a new name/moniker for a while, especially since Rebirth when they gave him his old Robin suit… while keeping his Red Robin name.

And I thought, well, OK… “Drake” is technically a bird, and technically in New 52 not Tim’s actual birthname. His New 52 origin is he was too much of a smartypants Batman fanboy (like before, but different), so his family had to be relocated and given new names (hence Tim "Drake"... Yes this was a dumb Lobdell idea everyone hated.)

But then I remembered that a hero chosing to change their costume and moniker is usually one of the most personal moments of large character growth. And shitty Bendis basically goes “Yeah some other version of Tim figured all this shit out” and then left it on our Tim’s lap to just blindly eat up.

Hopefully this turns out like Savior in Detective Comics a bit back, not the Tim part but Stephanie/Cass seeing their alt Batgirl selves and choosing to use that to be even better (instead of wallowing in the past.) Was a cool moment and I hope something they do here.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5892 on: September 11, 2019, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm just glad that the Earth-3 Drake is not the regular Drake character design.  Thought it was for a second there and that is some goofy looking shit.

"Drake." :smug
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #5893 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:10 PM »
New 52 screwing up the Robins continues to be the funniest thing about the whole effort. Nobody even realized it somehow, they changed Todd's backstory, and then had to change Drake's because of that, and then had to somehow figure how Bruce had four Robins in five years, so they gave Bruce an extra year which doesn't solve anything, especially since Damian is ten.

Arguably the only stupider thing was not allowing Perez to know anything Morrison was doing on Action Comics, yet still demanding he keep his Superman book in line with it.

kingv

« Reply #5894 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
Draaaake? Draaaaaaake?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5895 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »

DOOM COCK.
Yes, it ends at the conclusion of the farm arc.  I'll check out the other books then.

I also checked out the first episode of the tv show and  :kobeyuck what a weird take on the story.. I mean, people are doing their best but it's pretty far from how I imagined the characters when I read the book. The Preacher feels super weak (but I guess he's gonna get back his balls when he gets possessed) and the way Cassidy is introduced felt off in tone. Same thing with Tulip. In the comics, shes knows how to fight but she's pretty much forced to do the hit job but in the pilot she's acting like Hit-Girl, kicking asses, using catchphrases and acting all sassy and witty.

Yeah, same impression of the TV show. I enjoyed the comic, but the show is just off for me, somehow. The only one who nails what I expected is Cassidy.

Tasty

« Reply #5896 on: September 11, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
DOOM COCK :gladbron

It is now.

It is Superman.

It is me.

It is us.

It is the world.

It is time.

Tasty

« Reply #5897 on: September 11, 2019, 10:37:32 PM »
Draaaake? Draaaaaaake?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
COFFEECAKEMAN
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5898 on: September 11, 2019, 10:49:14 PM »

kingv

« Reply #5899 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
My personal favorite is the job Kent one. And my theory is that jonnient replaces pops. And then bendis relaunches Superman as Ultimate Superman.

benjipwns

« Reply #5900 on: September 11, 2019, 11:04:38 PM »
I like the hard reboot one, DC is hiding a complete reboot of their entire line without it leaking. Based around a comic that still does not have a scheduled date despite November solicits already being out. :lol

kingv

« Reply #5901 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »
I like the hard reboot one, DC is hiding a complete reboot of their entire line without it leaking. Based around a comic that still does not have a scheduled date despite November solicits already being out. :lol

When it reboots, it reboots.

And then we find out it actually rebooted at some point in 2018.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5902 on: September 11, 2019, 11:31:29 PM »
DC rebooting again? Is Wally back at least?

benjipwns

« Reply #5903 on: September 11, 2019, 11:51:00 PM »
you get two of them now

Tasty

« Reply #5904 on: September 12, 2019, 12:14:11 AM »
you get two of them now

Is it racism or reverse-racism that they gave the whiter name to the blacker character?

kingv

« Reply #5905 on: September 12, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
Wally and Wale?

Tasty

« Reply #5906 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
Wally and Wale?

Wally and Wallace West(s).

kingv

« Reply #5907 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »
Why would you design a new character named Wallace? It’s like an old ass name.

One of the things I find sort of funny about comics in general is how anachronistic their names are.

I don’t know anyone under like 40 named Peter.

Tasty

« Reply #5908 on: September 12, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
Because of comics fuckery.

They were both born Wallace West, the name obviously coming from when the original white Wally was designed.

Then New 52 happened, Wally was rebooted to being black.

Then Rebirth happened, and the old Wally came back. Yup, he's a separate guy after all.

And that's when DC decided "Wallace" should go to the newer black character and "Wally" should go to the white guy from the literal 50s.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5909 on: September 12, 2019, 08:05:03 PM »
Immediately comes to mind:

ど助平

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #5911 on: September 13, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
Also when I said I wanted Jon Kent back to being a kid, this isn't really what I meant, DC.

Kent has ‘all of the wisdom and intelligence of the Kryptonian race would be an exciting new dimension. He really sort of developed as a little floating Buddha, someone who when he wasn’t even a toddler yet was speaking in full sentences and had an understanding of events that surpassed anybody else’s. He’s the most magical member of the family.’

I will say I do dig the style here:

kingv

« Reply #5912 on: September 13, 2019, 11:26:51 PM »
DkII and III were pretty shit imo.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #5914 on: September 14, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
https://www.newsarama.com/46940-superman-to-reveal-his-secret-identity-to-the-world-this-fall.html

Bendis
:neogaf

Can't wait for the next story arc where Superman makes a deal with Lucifer Morningstar to save Pa Kent (who was targeted for assassination by Deathstroke) at the cost of his highly popular marriage to Lois Lane.

Tasty

« Reply #5915 on: September 14, 2019, 03:53:37 PM »

Not the color scheme I would have gone with -- the brown should be bright red IMO, but I guess they're trying to go away from "red" since it's not in his name anymore. Also, while I love Tim's one-off unternet suit in the Red Robin series (see below), I always preferred a cowl for Tim instead of a domino mask since he saw himself becoming Batman one day. I'm split on the lack of a cape, it works for Nightwing and at least it isn't the fucking feathers. :yuck

In any case his new costume is still 100x better than New 52 Swan Queen and 10x better than the old suit DC found in a dumpster out back they made him wear in Rebirth. So I'm actually a little content with this.

Solo series again when? :)

Tasty

« Reply #5916 on: September 14, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
Damn just noticed they kept Tim's trademark bo staff too. :jawalrus

benjipwns

« Reply #5917 on: September 14, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
Legendary artist Ivan Reis joins writer Brian Michael Bendis as they introduce the biggest change in the Man of Steel’s life ever!
Not marrying Lois? Not moving to Metropolis? Not DYING and coming back? Not DYING again and merging with some multiversial self of his? Not having a son?

kingv

« Reply #5918 on: September 15, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »
https://www.newsarama.com/46940-superman-to-reveal-his-secret-identity-to-the-world-this-fall.html

Bendis
:neogaf

Can't wait for the next story arc where Superman makes a deal with Lucifer Morningstar to save Pa Kent (who was targeted for assassination by Deathstroke) at the cost of his highly popular marriage to Lois Lane.

People need to learn from that terrible Spider-Man story. The I don’t have a secret identity was a terrible status quo for him.

It will be dumb as hell for super-man as well.

benjipwns

« Reply #5919 on: September 15, 2019, 12:08:23 AM »
I've always pretended that everyone knows Superman is Clark Kent and just humors him lest he go nuts and destroy the place. When Clark's older that is. Except Luthor who adamantly refuses to believe it.

Back when he first died, Clark Kent had disappeared for over a year and even Lois didn't care publicly, then they managed to miraculously find him in perfectly good health under some rubble left over from the Doomsday battle a year plus prior in the first place they looked after somebody said to the revived Superman "hey, your buddy Clark never showed up after you died, we think he's probably dead too."

At one point in the DC Universe basically everyone who was ever a hero (or close to a hero, like Catwoman) knew about Clarks secret identity but nobody had figured out Batmans except a select handful.

Identity Crisis even established that super villains don't go after families because it's known to be the one thing that'll make heroes break their no-killing rule. And that this is enforced within the super villain community. Since that refusal is basically how they ever have any kind of leverage at all against the heroes.

Tasty

benjipwns

« Reply #5921 on: September 17, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
the end of the subheadline on this newspaper in Batman #1 (1940) cracked me up for some reason:

"LEAVES JOKER IN FRONT OF POLICE STATION. DRIVES AWAY."

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5922 on: September 17, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
House Of X #5 spoilers:

The issue opens with the arrival of The Five: five mutants whose powers work in tandem to resurrect other mutants. Goldballs (previously thought to be worthless, his balls are actually the eggs), Proteus (basically inseminates the eggs), Elixir (gives life to the egg), Tempus (can make the inhabitant of the egg any age), and Hope (amplifies the other four mutant's powers). We then see the same 2 page splash page from House of X #1 with the X-Men coming out of the pods...so that particular scene was a flash forward. The whole team of X-Men who died in the previous issue are resurrected using a combination of the Five's power, the collected DNA from Sinister's library, and a mental backup from Xavier's Cerebro...basically Cerebro scans every mutant every week and uploads a backup of their memory to be implanted in the regrown husk body. Storm declares Cyclops' resurrected team the "heroes of Krakoa"

Xavier and Magneto's grand plan is revealed: they plan toresurrect as many mutants as possible using Krakoa, the Five, Cerebro, and Sinister's library. It is explained how this would work, but it will take hundreds of years to bring back all 16 million mutants. This explains how certain previously deceased mutants are back. This seems to be the plot point of the upcoming X-Force book.

The UN votes...Emma mind controls enough of the Ambassadors to ensure the vote passes. Xavier promises she will be rewarded (a hint to the direction of The Marauders book). Some major countries reject the deal.

The issue ends with every mutant villain arriving on Krakoa to join the X-Men. Krakoa seems especially pleased to be reunited with Apocalypse.
[close]
:o

Comments/speculation:

So those who died in space actually stay dead, and from this point on the living ones are just clones with memories? Sorry, I’m just confused whether it’s resurrection or cloning.

Also, how do people like Banshee and Esme have their memories if they died years before Cerebro uploaded their minds? Or has Cerebro been doing this since the beginning?
The word "clone" is completely avoided...it strictly uses the word "resurrection."

The memory copy thing has been Cerebro's primary purpose all along. It's tracking system is secondary.

Ah okay, fair! I kinda see why they want to do more with Pryor now then since there could be an interesting discussion about whether she is also actually Jean, just sans-Cerebro. Likewise it brings into question about how souls and the afterlife and such work now in Marvel; for example, would Nightcrawler who died go to heaven and then be ripped from it into this cloned body, or does this Krakoa/Cerebro Nightcrawler have its own soul, separate from the original?

Is it ever suggested why nobody ever figured out Cerebro’s original purpose, especially when it’s been rebuilt so many times (and often without Xavier’s input)?
When Jean is reborn she tells Storm that she's the only Jean that ever was. Seems like a reference to Pryor.

No, it's not referenced why no one knew about Cerebro. Magneto does mention that the resurrection process puts the soul back into the person though.
[close]

Crazy Hickman-retconning/re-writing going on here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:57:48 PM by bork »
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5923 on: September 17, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »
Is this the Hickman book? I have to be honest it sounds dumb as hell.

Like Chris Claremont actively trying to jump the shark.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5924 on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:30 PM »
I guess thats why the previous run had no problem killing off everyone.

Still confused to how the status quo got from X-men are kind of defeated to X-men nation. Then again Hickman referenced an X-men nation in Time Run's Out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5925 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
Yeah, it's the Hickman book, and yeah, now all the character deaths they've done here (and before this) make sense.  Not like killing off characters ever really did much anyway since 99% of them come back.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5926 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
Well, good thing we will get banshee back and every other xman  who ever died ever.

You really need to hire Hickman to do some dumb deus ex machina shit to resurrect every dead Xman ever (and probably villain) just to set up Genosha 4.0.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:37:17 PM by kingv »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5927 on: September 17, 2019, 10:14:06 PM »
Actually yeah, because this Hickman run has been pretty much the best X-men stuff in years.

kingv

« Reply #5928 on: September 17, 2019, 10:38:07 PM »
That’s an incredibly low bar to clear xmen have been unreadable for a while now. I get it free on marvel unlimited and still can’t get through it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5929 on: September 18, 2019, 01:04:58 AM »
Yeah you're right it is low, but what I'm seeing here is something I like. It's weird, it feels like it's going to have long form storytelling, and it dosen't feel like a generic "here's an arc for a trade" story that so much of Marvel comics have felt. I don't know what's going on 100% and that's exciting. Even now reading about the clone stuff may sound dumb to me, but I'm also left wondering if there's more going on. Not a feeling I've felt with X-men comics for a while.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5930 on: September 18, 2019, 02:12:36 AM »
Hickman and long form storytelling is good. Did you read his New Avengers run a few years back?
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5931 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
Yup.  He's fixing all the X-stuff with this story.  Fresh starts all-around with the upcoming new books.  It was very much needed.
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5932 on: September 18, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »

kingv

« Reply #5933 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Leviathan will actually be Superboy Prime.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #5934 on: September 18, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
House Of X #5 spoilers:

The issue opens with the arrival of The Five: five mutants whose powers work in tandem to resurrect other mutants. Goldballs (previously thought to be worthless, his balls are actually the eggs), Proteus (basically inseminates the eggs), Elixir (gives life to the egg), Tempus (can make the inhabitant of the egg any age), and Hope (amplifies the other four mutant's powers). We then see the same 2 page splash page from House of X #1 with the X-Men coming out of the pods...so that particular scene was a flash forward. The whole team of X-Men who died in the previous issue are resurrected using a combination of the Five's power, the collected DNA from Sinister's library, and a mental backup from Xavier's Cerebro...basically Cerebro scans every mutant every week and uploads a backup of their memory to be implanted in the regrown husk body. Storm declares Cyclops' resurrected team the "heroes of Krakoa"

Xavier and Magneto's grand plan is revealed: they plan toresurrect as many mutants as possible using Krakoa, the Five, Cerebro, and Sinister's library. It is explained how this would work, but it will take hundreds of years to bring back all 16 million mutants. This explains how certain previously deceased mutants are back. This seems to be the plot point of the upcoming X-Force book.

The UN votes...Emma mind controls enough of the Ambassadors to ensure the vote passes. Xavier promises she will be rewarded (a hint to the direction of The Marauders book). Some major countries reject the deal.

The issue ends with every mutant villain arriving on Krakoa to join the X-Men. Krakoa seems especially pleased to be reunited with Apocalypse.
[close]
:o

Comments/speculation:

So those who died in space actually stay dead, and from this point on the living ones are just clones with memories? Sorry, I’m just confused whether it’s resurrection or cloning.

Also, how do people like Banshee and Esme have their memories if they died years before Cerebro uploaded their minds? Or has Cerebro been doing this since the beginning?
The word "clone" is completely avoided...it strictly uses the word "resurrection."

The memory copy thing has been Cerebro's primary purpose all along. It's tracking system is secondary.

Ah okay, fair! I kinda see why they want to do more with Pryor now then since there could be an interesting discussion about whether she is also actually Jean, just sans-Cerebro. Likewise it brings into question about how souls and the afterlife and such work now in Marvel; for example, would Nightcrawler who died go to heaven and then be ripped from it into this cloned body, or does this Krakoa/Cerebro Nightcrawler have its own soul, separate from the original?

Is it ever suggested why nobody ever figured out Cerebro’s original purpose, especially when it’s been rebuilt so many times (and often without Xavier’s input)?
When Jean is reborn she tells Storm that she's the only Jean that ever was. Seems like a reference to Pryor.

No, it's not referenced why no one knew about Cerebro. Magneto does mention that the resurrection process puts the soul back into the person though.
[close]

Crazy Hickman-retconning/re-writing going on here.

Just saw this and man that entire thing is mental.

But a tear came to my eye when
Apocalypse had his "i knew you had it in you" moment, joins and Xavier welcomes him home.
[close]

:'(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5935 on: September 18, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
JJ Abrams and son's Spider-Man comic sounds kinda crazy, too- it's got his trademark style from a write-up I saw-- alternate universe stuff where the main character is Peter and MJ's son (of course named "Ben.")  It actually almost comes off as like his Star Wars movie.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5936 on: September 22, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
Read all of House Of and Powers Of X up to the current issues.  Amazing story- doesn't feel like traditional X stuff at all and characters don't even seem to act the same way, but it doesn't matter- this is just a damn good read with good art to boot.

Then I read Major X and it was like the polar opposite.  Just complete, nonsensical shit in every way possible.  :lol
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5937 on: September 22, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »
Is major x some future reality Deadpool? Because he sure looks like he’s supposed to be.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5938 on: September 22, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »
Is major x some future reality Deadpool? Because he sure looks like he’s supposed to be.

Naw, but funny you mention Deadpool- there is different version of him who pops up named "Dreadpool" and has a more armor-like design.  Rob makes an obvious in-joke (through the real Deadpool) that this is supposed to be Deathstroke.  That's the only props I'll give him for this turd.  :lol

"Major X" looks more like a glorified Rob Liefeld Power Ranger to me.  In fact the #0 issue has "Colonel X," "Private X," "Corporal X" etc. wearing the same armor with different colors.  :doge

I might have my timing off, but the basic story is as follows-

Major X is from another reality/dimension/whatever that was created or found and maintained (the story is so fucking confusing that's hard to tell) by some other super-powered being who I've never heard of before.  Dude is dressed like a neon-colored purple ninja from American Ninja or something.  He opens a portal to this dimension to lead mutants and Atlanteans away from humans so everyone can live in peace. 

Anyway, one day Major X is driving around on his shitty motor bike that also happens to be capable of time travel (where did this come from?  Where did ANY tech here come from, for that matter?  They went to what is essentially a new world with zero technology available, lol) and stuff starts disappearing and crumbling around him.  He is then joined by "M'Koy," who looks like a derpier version of the Beast, only grey and with red stripes. 

They escape and go back in time to save their world.  How are they going to do this?  Beats me!  Who cares!  Rob sure doesn't!  They end up in what I guess is supposed to be 1991 and confront Cable and a couple of X-Force folks in the danger room.  Shitty fights happen and then it's all about Cable and Wolverine who just sort of pops up out of nowhere because why not.  Major X is revealed to be Cable's son from the future.  He's also black and has white hair, so HINT HINT about who his mother is.  Deadpool also pops up and is well-known by everyone despite him being unknown or not even introduced during this time period.  Dreadpool attacks and more fighting and :zzz and shitty art and then Major X and Beast-guy go forward to 2019.

At this point I started skimming through most of it because of how bad it was.  Basically the baddies are the Atlantis folks who hate the governing policies in the other dimension and some scientist guy.  Old super-powered dude who founded the new dimension pulls a Yoda and just sort of dies/disappears and then some random girl introduced gets his power.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  Then the Atlantis people reveal that old-man Namor is with them and he summons a big fish monster and more fighting and shit and who fucking cares.

The only other thing to note here is that 1991 Cable acts like he knows about all of this stuff and is not surprised to see his son despite never having mentioned him before or after.  Despite the fact that Cable was killed and replaced by a younger version of himself a year or two ago, an "old man" version of Cable pops up with a mohawk and ZZ-top beard to help Major X at the end.   ???  They meet Storm, who doesn't really seem to care that she has an adult son running around who was born after fucking Cable (when did this happen?  :lol) and Major X goes off to do whatever and this shitty comic is over.   BUT WAIT there's the #0 issue, which after having a brief story with Major X and the other Power Rangers, then changes to...a Wolverine story.  WUT

I give it five Robs out of five and really have to wonder how anyone approved this for publication. 
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #5939 on: September 23, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
Holy shit? Why did Marve Let Rob Liefeld do a story, that sounds amazingly bad.