Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 832289 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #600 on: June 01, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Nightwing #1 on the way :gloomy. Guess the world needs another 2nd rate Spider-man. Oh well, I enjoyed the steady diet of Dick while it lasted.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
To quote Bill Simmons' podcast intro: It might be cool, I dunno. And if it's not...I don't care
[close]
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #601 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
Nightwing #1 on the way :gloomy. Guess the world needs another 2nd rate Spider-man. Oh well, I enjoyed the steady diet of Dick while it lasted.

To quote Bill Simmons' podcast intro: It might be cool, I dunno. And if it's not...I don't care
[close]

This is how I feel about the DC Universe relaunch:

[close]

Also, please add that as :comics

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:15:46 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Comic fans will hate the reboot, non-comic fans won't care.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #603 on: June 01, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
Comic fans will hate the reboot, non-comic fans won't care.

I daresay that there will be a couple of good-to-decent books in there that will be worth a look. But the thing to remember is that the actual talent pool isn't changing, from what we've heard. It really is just shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic in that regard. So if you like a lot of DC books now, you'll probably like a lot of DC books in September, and so forth.

Also, :teehee
http://mindlessones.com/2011/06/01/flashpoint-1-the-face-immolation/
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #604 on: June 01, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
I REALLY hope the plot of Batman Inc. is "Bruce Wayne was so irritated by Geoff Johns' Flashpoint that he built a machine to keep it from affecting him." because Batman, that's why
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #605 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
I saw a theory that those 2 inexplicably red panels in Batman Inc 5 are Flashpoint happening :lol

The beauty of Morrison's 'everything is in continuity' concept (i.e. hypertime) is that he can just say 'Sure, that happened. In that timeline over here which is just a tiny part of the stage available for MY story'. In other words, as Joker said to Batman in R.I.P.:

'but it doesn't matter see? because every single time I try to think outside his toy box...he builds a new box around me'

In his story, Batman is the Hyper-Adapter, all continuity is Batman, the entire endpoint of space and time itself IS Batman.

Good luck trying to box THAT into your continuity, Johns.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »
:bow Morrison :bow2

I miss Doom Patrol. When I get my comics out of storage in the USA, I will re-read them all.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:43 AM »
have you not read anything recent, Chrono? At the very least you need to read All Star Superman
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
I want Fantagraphic's new Mickey Mouse book:

(Image removed from quote.)

I just got it in the mail yesterday.  It's pretty good but i've only gone through 40 pages of actual comics.  the bio / essays are top notch to give great contextualization and info on the artist.
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
I just got Black Jack Vol 14, only 3 more volumes to go! though it's flown rather under the radar, this has been a pretty impressive years-long effort to get EVERY story of one of Osamu Tezuka's best series in English
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #610 on: June 04, 2011, 05:37:26 AM »
have you not read anything recent, Chrono? At the very least you need to read All Star Superman

I've read that, since I picked up the 2nd TPB in January. It was really good. Superb.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #611 on: June 04, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
The best news out of this whole DC mess of announcements is that Morrison is supposedly to write Superman as an ongoing from September. I guess I'm looking forward to it but it's hard to imagine it'll improve on All Star. And unless they get like Moebius or somebody, any artist will be a big step down from Quitely. Personally, I think he should probably just walk away from Superman unless he's going to do something radically different from ASS.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #612 on: June 04, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
"ASS" :teehee

Yeah, it will probably still be good, though the completeness of All-Star is really a testament to Morrison's actual flexibility. There are some Really Weird items in there, but they're not the focus of it, like in DOOM PATROL. He really writes to the spirit of Superman, makes him likable.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #613 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
The best news out of this whole DC mess of announcements is that Morrison is supposedly to write Superman as an ongoing from September. I guess I'm looking forward to it but it's hard to imagine it'll improve on All Star. And unless they get like Moebius or somebody, any artist will be a big step down from Quitely. Personally, I think he should probably just walk away from Superman unless he's going to do something radically different from ASS.

No the best news is that the $3.99 books are moving to $2.99 and the $2.99 books will be $1.99.
CBG

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #614 on: June 05, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
buh? DC has been 'holding the line' at 2.99 for print for some time now, no? My understanding is that digital will have the same pricing but will drop a dollar after a month.
vjj

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
buh? DC has been 'holding the line' at 2.99 for print for some time now, no? My understanding is that digital will have the same pricing but will drop a dollar after a month.

Well, they told retailers that. But they could have the head up their ass because that letter that they said they sent to retailers actually didn't go out until like three days after they hyped it up. I'm not sure their retail side of things knows what's going on because of the focus to the day and date digital.

It's also annoying because they keep talking to the press about all the new #1s, but the solicits aren't out for any of the new DC stuff until next month's Previews so comic shops are stuck without information for the time being when people want to know stuff.
CBG

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #616 on: June 05, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
2.99 for print and digital is exactly what they have right now (with the drop to 1.99 later for digital). So the press release saying exactly that didn't surprise me in the least.

A genuine dollar price cut across the board for new stuff WOULD be huge news, for sure. But I haven't heard this from any other source, and I've been following this pretty closely (I don't really care about DC's new line up much but I DO care about digital comics a lot so I'm fascinated by all this...)
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #617 on: June 05, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
They ARE doing a combo pack for Justice League for $3.99 that gives you a code in the polybag for the digital version when you buy the physical.
CBG

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #618 on: June 05, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
They ARE doing a combo pack for Justice League for $3.99 that gives you a code in the polybag for the digital version when you buy the physical.

Saw that, but not sure how that results in a $1.99 price point. Do you think you will be able to sell that code for $1.99 or something?
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #619 on: June 22, 2011, 12:59:26 AM »
Marvel killed Ultimate Spider-Man, and NO ONE GIVES A FUCK. :lol

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #620 on: June 22, 2011, 02:52:11 AM »
I remember when Ultimate Spider-Man started, it enjoyed what I read of it.

And the reason nobody cares is that since Superman died we got an endless supply of death and resurrection in the comic medium, it got old really fast.

Nobody cares because nobody reads the Ultimate line. No one.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #621 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »
I remember when Ultimate Spider-Man started, it enjoyed what I read of it.

And the reason nobody cares is that since Superman died we got an endless supply of death and resurrection in the comic medium, it got old really fast.

Doesn't Phoenix pre-date that by heaps? What was the first mainstream death/resurrection, I wonder...
*checks*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_death
Yeah, apparently Jean Grey was first...? At least among the high profile, "announced, to sell comics" variety.

Edit:
Such beings may also have access to some afterlife where the soul of the character fled after dying (such as fictional variations of Heaven or Hell)
(such as fictional variations of Heaven or Hell)
(such as fictional variations of Heaven or Hell)

:lol :lol :lol
Sorry, what? I'm amused by the use of the word "fictional" here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:00:04 AM by chronovore »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #622 on: June 25, 2011, 08:02:16 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #623 on: June 25, 2011, 11:12:04 PM »

cool breeze

« Reply #624 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
I haven't been following this DC reboot thing, but I just saw this picture:

so, is this some riff on Toy Story where action figures come alive? or are they all robots?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #625 on: June 26, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
Yeah, the DC house style seems to be resetting to mid-90's Image. Meh. There are a handful of interesting-looking books coming out of the reboot though. Nothing world-changing, most likely. I applaud them for offering it all digital on same day as print though, they beat Marvel to the punch on that for sure.
vjj

« Reply #626 on: June 26, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Is DC retconning all the stuff they've done with Batman recently?
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #627 on: June 26, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
no...some of it is getting changed but Grant Morrison's book will continue (and be 'in continuity'). The other stuff I don't care about really. There will be 3 good Bat-books for sure -

Batman Inc (vol. 2 coming next year)
Batman by Scott Snyder
Batwoman by JH Williams/Amy Reeder

...and a bunch of other stuff by the usual hacks.
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #628 on: June 26, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
What's the big deal about Ultimate Spidey dying?  Marvel deaths are meaningless after Bucky got resurrected and Cap came back a few years after being shot in the head.  Also, it's not even in the main Universe. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #629 on: June 26, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
What's the big deal about Ultimate Spidey dying?  Marvel deaths are meaningless after Bucky got resurrected and Cap came back a few years after being shot in the head.  Also, it's not even in the main Universe. 

None of this stuff matters or means anything. It was a pretty good little story though. It allows them to end the series in a satisfying way, rather than just have bad shit happen ad infinitum to the main character without any serious, ongoing consequence. It thus adds a bit of spice to all future stories in that universe. 'Hey...this threat is real! The character might die and go away like Spidey!'

The line is dying anyway so I suspect it won't be reversed any time soon.
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #630 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »
The book is ending?  I read somewhere that Marvel was using Parker's death to introduce a new Ultimate Spiderman. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #631 on: June 26, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
well, it may continue with a new set of characters but for all intents and purposes *that* book has ended I think.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #632 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
So...anyway, I just saw this.

©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #633 on: June 29, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Started reading Beasts of Burden and it is AWESOME.

neighborhood dogs (and one stray cat) basically live on the Hellmouth which causes all kinds of freaky shit to happen in their suburb.

written by the amazing Evan Dorkin with some very very good painted pages by Jill Thompson this is absolutely worth your time

You can check out a preview here
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/13-834?page=0
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #634 on: July 02, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
There is a ton of good-to-great Vertigo stuff on sale on comixology for 99 cents a pop right now. The sale lasts another couple of days. Most of it is back catalog stuff like Preacher and Sandman, but there is some great new stuff as well that is very much worth checking out at that price -  American Vampire, Sweet Tooth, The Unwritten...I spent about $40!
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #635 on: July 02, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Reading Booster Gold and Generation Lost has got me pumped for some JLI. I bought JLI Volumes 1-4 and Formerly Known as Justice League/I Can't Believe It's Not Justice League.
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #636 on: July 02, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in NYC is having an exhibit on Will Eisner.  One of the sections is artists with their art talking about the influence of Eisner.  Included is Kubert's Superman Vs Ali original cover art.  1) it's huge.  2) it's far more detailed than even the recent special edition allows you to see.

Hidden among the artists and writers of DC and various other celeb's (like the Sweat Hogs, The Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder) I found Plastic Man, The Metal Men and Billy Batson.

I tried to nerd out about that to the guy working the desk at MoCCA but he didn't know what the fuck I was going on about so I stopped trying.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #637 on: July 02, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
I tried to nerd out about that to the guy working the desk at MoCCA but he didn't know what the fuck I was going on about so I stopped trying.

:lol

That sounds pretty awesome.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #638 on: July 02, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in NYC is having an exhibit on Will Eisner.  One of the sections is artists with their art talking about the influence of Eisner.  Included is Kubert's Superman Vs Ali original cover art.  1) it's huge.  2) it's far more detailed than even the recent special edition allows you to see.

Hidden among the artists and writers of DC and various other celeb's (like the Sweat Hogs, The Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder) I found Plastic Man, The Metal Men and Billy Batson.

Kubert? Not Neal Adams?
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #639 on: July 03, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
You're right.  I had no idea why I said Kubert!
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
I will be with you in spirit.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #642 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »
I guess they just like spending their precious free time drumming up free publicity for mega corporations!
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #643 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
So Sony re-boots Spider Man after 3 films in 7 years, Fox reboots X-Men inside a decade but people will protest DC rebooting after 60 years?
CBG

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
:lol
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #645 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
i'd imagine the protesters care precisely because it has gone 60 years without a reboot, which gives it some weight or meaning in their minds that I cannot for the life of me manage to give a fuck about
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #647 on: July 08, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
i'd imagine the protesters care precisely because it has gone 60 years without a reboot, which gives it some weight or meaning in their minds that I cannot for the life of me manage to give a fuck about

And it isn't even really a reboot. Some things changed, true, but the only thing different with this versus a post-Crisis situation is that the books are starting at issue #1.
CBG

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
I picked up and read Superman: Black Ring Vol. 1 (Action Comics starring Lex Luthor). I liked it, it's cute. I can't decide who I want to be mai waifu, Death or Robot Lois Lane.  :heart
©@©™

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #649 on: July 17, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
My #1 summer jam = the Conan books by Busiek/Mignola/Nord.

FUCK YOU, SNAKE

#2 summer jam = THE GOON

So fucking good

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Hey guys, which matoor graphical novel should I read next?

- Sandman
- Starman
- Hellblazer
- Lucifer

?

Kinda leaning towards Sandman, because I've heard people talk about it all my life and also I want those sweet, sweet Absolute Editions.
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #651 on: July 21, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
personal preference

hellblazer
sandman but only so that you can read the superior
lucifer
starman
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #652 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
The Absolute editions are nice but the artists on Sandman were wildly inconsistent and just not very good in many places so it's not really that big of a draw seeing the art oversized. The main attraction for me was the recoloring, which the reissued TPBs also have now I think. I grew up with Sandman and Hellblazer but I think Lucifer is a better, more cohesive work than either, and just plain fun. I'm reading Starman now actually...it's ok. At this point (about 20 issues in), I'd say it's overrated but I hear it all comes together nicely.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #653 on: July 21, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
And if you haven't read The Invisibles....THAT is the motherfucking Vertigo series to end all Vertigo series'
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #654 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:04 AM »
And if you haven't read The Invisibles....THAT is the motherfucking Vertigo series to end all Vertigo series'

+1, ad infinitum.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #655 on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:11 AM »
Just imagine if Quitely had drawn all of it. sigh
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #656 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
It would have taken even longer to come out. :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #657 on: July 22, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
yeah, they kind of had a self-imposed deadline of 2012, would have been a squeaker
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #658 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:42 AM »
really liked this week's wonderella

Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #659 on: July 23, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Like you'd say no to fucking a woman in a cat suit? And don't spend your days staring at a PC screen?
vjj