Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 832285 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #540 on: February 14, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
Keep meaning to start it. I like Eduardo Risso a lot but not enough hours in the day.

I got a bunch of nice new stuff, should really take some pics. The Sin City vol. 2 box set is fucking amaaaazing.
vjj

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
Speaking of Power Girl, I hope the Power Girl series never ends. They could just repeat the same stories over and over and I wouldn't care.

I loved the first 12 issues, with Conner/Palmiotti/Gray, but with the new team from #13 on, it just hasn't done much to keep my attention.  The first few issues with the new team were good after I got used to the direction they went in, but I'm just not digging this Maxwell Lord resurrection thing.  I never read older JLA and OMAC stuff so it's not grabbing me.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #542 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
Speaking of Power Girl, I hope the Power Girl series never ends. They could just repeat the same stories over and over and I wouldn't care.

I loved the first 12 issues, with Conner/Palmiotti/Gray, but with the new team from #13 on, it just hasn't done much to keep my attention.  The first few issues with the new team were good after I got used to the direction they went in, but I'm just not digging this Maxwell Lord resurrection thing.  I never read older JLA and OMAC stuff so it's not grabbing me.

Well that's disappointing. Conner, Palmiotti, and Grey did really well with the writing and art. Maybe it'll turn around soon.
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #543 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »

“LIFE IS LIKE A HURRICANE”
IN THE ALL-NEW ORIGINAL ONGOING SERIES
WRITTEN BY
EPIC MICKEY VIDEO GAME CREATOR
WARREN SPECTOR

February 17, 2011 - Los Angeles, CA - Strap in for adventure as BOOM! Studios flies you back to Duckburg to join Uncle Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, Louie, and all your favorite feathered friends in the all-new, original ongoing DUCKTALES comic series! A beloved classic of The Disney Afternoon, DUCKTALES returns with writing by Epic Mickey video game creator Warren Spector and spectacular art by fan-favorite Disney Duck artist Miquel Pujol! Don't miss out as The Disney Afternoon Revolution continues in a big way this May with DUCKTALES!

“You want ducks? Oh, do we have ducks!” says BOOM! Studios Marketing Director Chip Mosher. “We're taking you back to one of the most celebrated Disney Afternoon series ever aired! And with a creative powerhouse like Warren Spector and fantastic art from Miquel Pujol, this series is sure to be jam-packed with duck adventures no DUCKTALES fans will want to miss!”

DUCKTALES is BOOM!'s latest and greatest of The Disney Afternoon Revolution that “might solve a mystery,” and will definitely “rewrite history!” Existing within the same continuity as BOOM!’s hit series DARKWING DUCK, find out why “life is like a hurricane!”

DUCKTALES #1 is written by Warren Spector and drawn by Miquel Pujol and ships with A & B covers by Leonel Castellani and James Silvani respectively, as well as a 1-in-10 incentive cover. This title ships this May.
CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #544 on: February 17, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

Well that's disappointing. Conner, Palmiotti, and Grey did really well with the writing and art. Maybe it'll turn around soon.

It will if they ever come back to it!   :lol  But right away with #13, the new creative team destroyed a lot of the stuff that the first twelve issues built.   :-\
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: February 17, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »

It will if they ever come back to it!   :lol  But right away with #13, the new creative team destroyed a lot of the stuff that the first twelve issues built.   :-\

I've got a friend who's been reading the issues as they're released and he says that Power Girl keeps getting mind-controlled over and over.
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #546 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »

So fucking awesome.
CBG

« Reply #547 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
Deadpool is totally the new Venom or Lobo.
野球

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
Looks like Carnage.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Looks like a fanboy doodle on a Pee-Chee Folder.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #550 on: February 19, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »
Looks like a fanboy doodle on a Pee-Chee Folder.

Don't hate on Skottie Young. And go buy his Oz books for your kids, they'll love 'em.
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #551 on: February 19, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
The new What If? is great.

Peter Parker falling to his death: "Save me Lord Mephisto!"

"Behold - Galactus is the baby daddy!"

Venompool killing Thor in a bathroom stall while yelling "There can only be one Highlander!"

CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #552 on: February 19, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
I hate comics and I might actually go out and get that. Sounds awesome.
SRY

ManaByte

« Reply #553 on: February 20, 2011, 12:07:27 AM »
Venompool makes an olestra joke. :rofl
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #554 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »
Just finished the first two volumes of Sleeper. Fantastic! Thanks, Cormacaroni.

ManaByte

« Reply #555 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
Flashpoint

:bow Johns :bow2
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #556 on: May 11, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
Flashpoint

Q: What if... Hal Jordan never got the Green Lantern ring?
A: Geoff Johns would still have such a hard-on for him that he gets a 3-issue mini.
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #557 on: May 13, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
Re-reading some Sandman, since Cormacaroni sent me a heap of them. It holds up surprisingly well.

Also finished Allred's The Atomics. Started off dry and stilted, but I was into it by the end of the first hardcover. It's charming. A twee comic about superheroes with trans-species sex, murder, acne, and heart-torn teenagers.

Also enjoyed a couple more TPBs of The Authority, my first not by Uncle Warren. Transfer of Power (#22-29) and Harsh Realities (vol. 2, issues #0-5). It was OK, but I think I'm done. I'll re-read Ellis' stuff if I want more. It felt like the other guys were aping the form.

I've read the first five TPBs of Invincible as well. Nothing as surprising as the first major plot twist, which is more the central pillar on which the story's built, but the way Kirkman plays with comic tropes while maintaining some nods to believable human behavior is quite skillful. The art's great, too.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #558 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
Flashpoint

I thought this was terrible, myself, and I read it for free. I *do not* understand Johns' popularity. He is utterly, utterly dull and mediocre.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Been readin' mah funny books:

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #560 on: May 18, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

Just awful, dreadful stuff. Why did I even buy this, I hate Kyle Rayner? Worst Green Lantern ever. The only part that was worthwhile was some crazy stuff with Kyle getting sucked into The Bleed and Tangent Universe versions of Flash, Green Lantern, and Atom showing up for pretty much no reason whatsoever.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #561 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »

I like Booster Gold, but this series is really starting to drag. The new Doom Patrol is meh. I enjoy The Outsiders, though. And I know it's serious business, but I did lawl a bit when they teamed up with John Walsh to take on a child kidnapping ring.

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #562 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
Wait, when did Doom Patrol come back?  :o ???

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #563 on: May 19, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
It was right before Blackest Night (one of the first issues is a BN crossover) but it's already been cancelled again, though.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: May 20, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »

I like Judd Winick's Outsiders better than Geoff John's Teen Titans, but they're both pretty good.

©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
we need some kind of comic intervention for Joe. Bros don't let bros read this stuff
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
It's all part of my master plan to completely entrench myself in DC Universe mythology. I'm making good progress, I've burned through over 100 TPBs in the past 6 months.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #567 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Okay, is this better?

©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #568 on: May 21, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
:rock

<3 Seven Soldiers

Check out the annotations at Barbelith for your inevitable re-read:

http://www.barbelith.com/faq/index.php/Seven_Soldiers_Annotations
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:28 AM »
Grant Morrison's Animal Man is next on my reading list.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Amazon sent me this today:

©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #571 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
:rock

<3 Seven Soldiers

Check out the annotations at Barbelith for your inevitable re-read:

http://www.barbelith.com/faq/index.php/Seven_Soldiers_Annotations

:bow SEVEN SOLIDERS :bow2

:bow the DC universe achieves sentience :bow2

Morrison's most underrated series by far

Really need to load these up on Ye Olde Aye Padde and give it the reread it deserves
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #572 on: May 24, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
Check out http://andrewhickey.info/  for a really interesting take on the series (he's actually planning on releasing it as a book on Kindle if you prefer that). The site is failing to load for me right now, but it's definitely worth a look. Not your usual 'And that guy standing behind Power Girl is Stripesy, the ORIGINAL from 1942 and the son of oh god shoot me' type annotations...
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

Okay, enough talking about good comics, back to my regularly scheduled superhero junk food. Superboy died and it's sad...oh wait, he's back in Final Crisis, who cares? Superboy sucks anyway, even if he does get to nail Wonder Girl's fine amazonian ass. Also Raven and Beast Boy kiss, gotta go find some fanart of this STAT. :drool Grace and Thunder lezz it up a bit in this volume of The Outsiders while the team fight Africans and gorillas, read into that what you will. I read into it only AWESOMENESS. :bow2
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:56:11 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

ManaByte

« Reply #574 on: May 31, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »
Well, it's confirmed. All DC comics will be rebooted with #1 issues in September.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-comics-relaunch-digital/

The entire DC Comics line of comic books will be re-launched with new #1 issues and feature "younger" and cosmetically redesigned versions of the heroes of the DC Universe. Written by Geoff Johns and illustrated by Jim Lee, Justice League will be the first of the more than 50 titles to debut in September, each of which will go on sale with same day digital releases via DC's various mobile applications and Web store. The initiative is designed explicitly to make the DC Universe more palatable for new readers and, in the words of DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, "today's audience."

Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are among the DC Comics characters who will be "injected with new life," according to Dan DiDio, who spoke with USA Today.

In September, more than 50 more first issues will debut, introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events. Lee spearheaded the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.

"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

DiDio's remarks would seem to indicate that existing DC readers are going to see major changes in the status quo and continuities of their favorite characters and titles. Among the major events that have informed various characters' modern histories include the death of Superman; Clark Kent's marriage to Lois Lane; the death of the second Robin, Jason Todd; the activities of Damian Wayne, the son of Batman and Talia al Ghul; Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and 52, the stories that defined the nature of the DC Multiverse itself; the crippling of Barbara Gordon, the original Batgirl; the defeat of Batman at the hands of Bane, resulting in the installation of the homicidal Jean-Paul Valley as Batman; the fall and redemption of Green Lantern Hal Jordan; The Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and the rest of the Green Lantern "emotional spectrum" mythology; Final Crisis and the journey of Bruce Wayne across time; the emergence of Batwoman Kate Kane; and the consolidation and reconciliation of dozens of characters from the Golden Age of DC Comics and their descendants, as depicted in books like JSA, Justice Society of America and Starman.

A DC spokesperson declined to comment on questions of continuity or the fate of Grant Morrison's Batman comics at this time and directed ComicsAlliance to The Source blog post.

USA Today suggests that DC's intentions are at least in part a response to the success of Marvel Comics, whose market share has eclipsed DC's every year since 2002, and that Lee, Johns and DiDio consider the plan integral to the company's continued existence in the publishing market.

"We're trying to set the table for the DC Universe's future success and health," said Lee.

UPDATE

DC Entertainment's Senior Vice President of Sales, Bob Wayne, issued a letter to retailers addressing the announcement. While no prices were discussed for the new books or their digital counterparts, Wayne addressed the question of narrative continuity:

We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling. Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes.

More on this as it develops.

Expect Superman to no longer come from Krypton and not be Clark Kent anymore.

CBG

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #575 on: May 31, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it. Most likely it'll be a bunch of superficial bullshit and it'll all be safely renumbered (oh god the renumbering will be EPIC) and retconned inside of a year or so. Flashpoint #1 was so dull I find it hard to care. Real talk, Geoff Johns is just not a good writer and nothing he does will ever be good.

I like that they're doing SOMETHING though. And day and date digital for everything is the only sane policy going forward, although they really need to work on pricing it better and getting subscriptions in place.
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #576 on: May 31, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »
Johns and Lee are making some major Superman announcement June 11th at a Richard Donner-hosted screening of Superman 1 and 2.

They're changing Superman a lot.
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #577 on: May 31, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
Wired: 50 #1 issues in September 2011
Tired: 50 #5 issues January 2012
Expired: 17 #13 issues in September 2011
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: May 31, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
DC Universe: Monetary Crisis
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #579 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
Superman reboots represent about half of the Superman stories in the past 3 decades, I think (mostly cause they seem to take 10-12 issues to tell). Johns just got done rebooting Superman himself a year or so back :lol

But still....why not? What they're doing right now certainly isn't bringing in new readers.

This made me realize that the only mainstream DCU books I give a crap about are whichever Batman Morrison is writing, and to a lesser extent Detective (Snyder, Jock and Francavilla are all killing it). It would be very annoying to have Morrison's 5 year storyline disrupted by this but he has a history of nimbly writing around this crap so I doubt it will disturb things too much.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #580 on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
This made me realize that the only mainstream DCU books I give a crap about are whichever Batman Morrison is writing, and to a lesser extent Detective (Snyder, Jock and Francavilla are all killing it). It would be very annoying to have Morrison's 5 year storyline disrupted by this but he has a history of nimbly writing around this crap so I doubt it will disturb things too much.

yes, the best things to happen to Batman in the past 20 years are Grayson-Bats, Damian Wayne (MUCH to my surprise) and Batman Inc. would be a shame to throw that all under the bus just now ...
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
Damian is a fantastic character, although he was written so badly in the post-Morrison Batman & Robin that I stopped even reading it in scans. He's not just a bratty 10 year old. He's an evil ninja snob genius trying desperately to be Batman who just happens to be stuck in an annoyingly tiny and puny body.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #582 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »
Rumor mill is suggesting that Morrison will be writing Wonder Woman and / or the Flash after the reboot. Not very enthusiastic about that but will check it out of course. Would much rather see Morrison unleashed on the New Gods or something where he can really tear shit up.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
Rumor mill is suggesting that Morrison will be writing Wonder Woman and / or the Flash after the reboot. Not very enthusiastic about that but will check it out of course. Would much rather see Morrison unleashed on the New Gods or something where he can really tear shit up.

still bitter Bruce Wayne didn't get to return as the first New God of the Fifth World >:(
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »
i haven't given up hope on that one. Multiversity Is Coming!
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »
Morrison on Wonder Woman is like Kirby on Jimmy Olsen
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »
...you're right I'm sure. But he has been saying for years that he wants to explore the weird fetishist side of the character in some modern way, though I really can't imagine how that could be done without being totally creepy and keep any semblance of a strong character. Not that there aren't strong lesbians into bondage out there in the real world. It's just going to be tricky to work that into a storyline that involves punching supervillains.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #587 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
if Cameron Stewart has time to dick around drawing the Suicide Girls comic, then he can damn well draw Wonder Woman for Morrison!
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #588 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
We interrupt this sensible comics discussion to make fun of Cyborg being part of the new Justice League:

As you were.
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #589 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:08 PM »
it's actually a shape-shifted Martian Manhunter. Psyche!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
only 3 or 4 issues of this will ever come out so whatevs
[close]
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
alright time for some Real Talk

Y'all need to be reading this:

The NEW reprints by Fantagraphics. Accept no substitutes. Hal Foster draws better-rendered muscled pretty boys than Jim Lee, REAL TALK. And he can do feet!

Also, the most amazing book on a comics artist I've seen:

vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: May 31, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »
I want Fantagraphic's new Mickey Mouse book:

©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #592 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
Looking forward to their reprints of the Carl Barks duck stuff too. Never really read any of that stuff so it will all be new to me. We are in the Golden Age of Reprints. :bow
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2011, 12:04:52 AM »

Reminds me a lot of Fables, in that both authors borrow really heavily from Neil Gaiman's fiction-reality blurring schtick, but tend to tell more conventional stories with more explicitly defined rules.

It's a good read so far, and there are two awesome stunt included in the first three volumes that I don't want to spoil.

« Reply #594 on: June 01, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
If you're ever in Seattle, definitely check out the Fantagraphics store. Realllly coool.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #595 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Reminds me a lot of Fables, in that both authors borrow really heavily from Neil Gaiman's fiction-reality blurring schtick, but tend to tell more conventional stories with more explicitly defined rules.

It's a good read so far, and there are two awesome stunt included in the first three volumes that I don't want to spoil.

Is it a monthly, or some kind of quarterly/limited thing?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #596 on: June 01, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
monthly

I keep meaning to start reading this but i have a feeling it's gonna get cancelled any month now and never get finished.
vjj

Bebpo

« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
Want see the Japanese take on Marvel's BLADE?

you don't want to see the Japanese take on Marvel's Blade
[close]

http://www.animax.co.jp/marvelanime/blade/

Hair is difficult to draw; like HD towns
[close]

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #598 on: June 01, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »
The Unwritten is cool.
Drunk

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #599 on: June 01, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/06/01/dc-comics-reboot/

In an interview with USA Today, Dan DiDio stated that while roughly three-quarters of titles will see a creative team switch-up, one quarter -- the books that are working -- won't be touched by the reboot.

There's no conceivable reason to mess with high-selling moneymakers like Batman Incorporated, Green Lantern, Batman: The Dark Knight and, well, other Batman titles, and to do so would be a huge mistake, especially since Grant Morrison's major Leviathan uber-arc is, alongside Geoff Johns's Green Lantern, the only major DC title with ongoing stories continuing past August.

:rock Batman Inc. :rock

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:13:32 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者