Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 827869 times)

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
Neither of those Alan Moore doujins have been scanned yet. Thats some shit.
Boo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
I picked up my Ed Brubaker stuff today. I had not been to the store in awhile, so the haul was $50+ :lol
PSP

chronovore

• relapsed dev

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #303 on: March 06, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
Can someone explain to me, in a world where color eReaders are about to hit the market in a very big way, why DC and Marvel are not selling digital comics for download?

Really, make downloadable .PDFs for 99 cents and I'll subscribe! Marvel has some kind of digital comic store, but it's not really recent stuff and tied to the web browser. How is this not a done deal? Don't the realize everyone's just going to pirate comics once everyone owns an iPad?
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
marvel has some deals with several iphone app makers to distribute their e-titles, but the catalog is pretty small

and yeah, their digital subscription interface/reader is pretty shit

dc, i dunno what the hell their deal is

these guys basically waited too late to start anything, really

it's pretty shameful for a multimillion dollar comic company when the pirates are doing a better job of scanning, archiving, and cleaning up older titles

really, all they'd have to do at this point (almost the entire DC output from the 30s to present has been scanned) is collect up all the scans from the newsgroups and torrents, pick the best quality ones out, and sell those at 99 cents a pop - what the hell could the pirate scanners do about it

they won't even make that nominal effort, though
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
I just picked up my haul from the local comic book shop, and the prices on the issues are ridiculous now. I really don't feel like spending that kind of cash anymore.
PSP

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
Instead, Jim Lee has a DC attack dogs targeting torrents now.
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
well, that particular pandora's box has been fisted wide open at this point

comic scanners (i am speaking specifically of golden and silver age scanners here) do a service, imo

i have scanned some of my golden age comics before, it takes about 3 hours to scan a 64 page GA comic, align it, and clean it up (all i do is run some light scripts to take some of the yellowing out, myself)

some of these comics will never be reprinted for one reason or another (rights issues, lack of popular interest, etc), and this is a great way of preserving particular moments in pop culture

i've already read hundreds of comics from the 30s through the 50s that i would have otherwise lived my entire lifetime without even seeing in person

jim lee can talk all the shit he wants, but like i said earlier, some of the masterworks production crew have gone on various forums requesting clean scans of art/comics in the past (i distinctly remember one guy calling for scans of early marvel mystery and sub-mariner issues)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:10:42 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »
Can someone explain to me, in a world where color eReaders are about to hit the market in a very big way, why DC and Marvel are not selling digital comics for download?

Really, make downloadable .PDFs for 99 cents and I'll subscribe! Marvel has some kind of digital comic store, but it's not really recent stuff and tied to the web browser. How is this not a done deal? Don't the realize everyone's just going to pirate comics once everyone owns an iPad?

I think the answer has been hinted at earlier in this thread; with Marvel owned by Disney, and Jobs on the Disney board, the likely answer will be to hobble things that might be empowered by piracy. This didn't stop Apple when it wanted to make  a music store. It was actually part of how they approached the RIAA: "Other people are already eating your lunch. You can't do anything about it. Want in?"

Instead this time they're looking at ways of removing usability from users, by limiting what they can access. And we've already seen Apple put the kibosh on finished apps because they don't offer items which replicate abilities in their own s/w-- and they don't tell anyone what they're working on, so it's easy for devs to invest time in making something which was already in progress at Apple under their Veil of Steve. I can only imagine developing for iPod/iPhone right now must be a total crapshoot.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »
Finally wrapped up Brubaker's Incognito. I will never get tired of the 'ole Brubaker/Phillips combo, but the ending felt rushed - like they ran out of time or something. Latest Criminal issue was fantastic, per usual. Criminal is the best thing out right now.

I'm reading Andy Diggle's run on Daredevil, and I don't know how I feel. I want to like it, and I don't hate it, but the latest issue left a sour taste in my mouth. I hate plots that involve a super secret conspiracy behind an already existing conspiracy.

I'm dumping Captain America again - fuck Steve Rogers.
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
From what I understand, the comic book companies do not make particularly big profits these days, so any revenue sources should be welcomed, IMO.  It would be so easy to put this stuff out online, too.
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
I didn't like Incognito much, I'm afraid. The first couple of issues were fine but then it devolved into shock value and ever-spiralling ridiculousness. What is it with comic writers that they can't stick to the actual concept they lay out? They can't write a 6 issue story about an ex-supervillain WITHOUT throwing the usual kitchen sink of 'people thought he was dead BUT O NO HERE HE IS' and 'your whole life was part of one big plot by an evil mastermind' and 'SHOCKING BETRAYAL by one close to you' etc etc.  Going in, I was lead to expect the whole thing would be a low-key examination of how a bad-ass copes with mundanity but it mostly ended up being about a bad-ass being a bad-ass and doing all the usual bad-ass shit. Zzzzz.

Reading Fear Agent right now. Great stuff, and I have no idea where he's going with all of this.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
cosigned - I expected Incognito to be an interesting riff on the hero/villain dichotomy, but no, it was just more xtreme pervert suits
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
Try Fear Agent - it has rayguns and jetpacks and a genuine anti-hero! Luscious art too.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
I'm fucking sick of "superheroes EXCEPT" as a genre

fuckers don't even bother with the "EXCEPT" anymore
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
It struck me recently that a major reason superheroes survive as a genre is because people can't distinguish the characters in most comics unless they are in costumes. Look at Walking Dead - the artists go to great pains to make the characters individual-looking, but readers complained until they started putting in a 'who's who' in every issue. Yet no matter how shitty the art, everyone can tell Superman from Batman.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
yeah, I can't tell any of those fuckers apart in Walking Dead, sorry!
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
And so Marvel Zombies was born :'(
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #318 on: March 09, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
Hey, the first few Marvel Zombies books were fun reads!
ど助平

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #320 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
I won't deny they were fun in an extremely distinguished mentally-challenged way for about 5 minutes.
vjj

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »
Batman and Robin 10 was brilliant, the return of bruce wayne went off with an awesome start, fuck brightest day, this will end up being the event of 2010 for DC.

Chew 9 was also fantastic, loved the cliffhangers :lol, the last one was really wtf! worthy, I love the art and the writing of this series, these guys have a brilliant future in the industry.
Drunk

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
M.O.E.D.O.K.: Mobile Organism Expressly Designed Only for Kawaiiness

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
乱学者

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2010, 04:45:35 AM »
I stopped by my local comic shop to pick up Essential Ms. Marvel and the clerk there told me that Disney is archiving all the essentials and that they aren't printing any more. Is this true?
SRY

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
I stopped by my local comic shop to pick up Essential Ms. Marvel and the clerk there told me that Disney is archiving all the essentials and that they aren't printing any more. Is this true?

Your comic book guy is an angry nerd pissed that Disney bought Marvel.
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

Figured as much.
SRY

ManaByte

« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Disney has absolutely no say, yet, in how Marvel runs things or publishes their books.

Fuck, Disney only bought Marvel for the rights to the characters.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »

Wow! Asking a comic store employee how a comic is created and published is just as accurate as asking a GameStop employee how a game is developed and published!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
Also, 'Essential Ms. Marvel' is an oxymoron.
vjj

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:06 AM »

Wow! Asking a comic store employee how a comic is created and published is just as accurate as asking a GameStop employee how a game is developed and published!

I didn't ask. He told me. Come on now, I know better than to initiate conversation between myself and a lowly retail clerk :smug

:punch
SRY

Diunx

« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »

Ms. Marvel rocks.
Drunk

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
maybe now, but that series from 1977 is pretty awful
sup

Diunx

« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2010, 12:42:43 AM »
That openback suit she had around that time was reason enough to read her books :drool
Drunk

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46:56 AM »
Ms. Marvel rocks so much that they cancelled the series!   :lol

Kinda sucks; I liked Sana Takeda's art.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:52:56 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
dat crotch
SRY

Himu

« Reply #335 on: March 19, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »
CUM!!!

Six years, five volumes, and 1,000 pages. Now the long anticipated finale to Bryan Lee O’Malley’s hit Oni Press graphic novel series has finally arrived. On Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 comic shops and bookstores across North America will celebrate the release of SCOTT PILGRIM VOL. 6: SCOTT PILGRIM’S FINEST HOUR.

“It’s been quite a ride, and I couldn’t have gotten here without the support of the fans and the retailers,” said O’Malley. “It feels great to be in the home stretch, and I think this is going to be the best Scott Pilgrim book ever!”

Bryan Lee O’Malley and the SCOTT PILGRIM series have both been honored with multiple awards including the Harvey, Doug Wright, Joe Shuster, and National Cartoonists Society Reuben awards, in addition to being named Entertainment Weekly and Wizard Magazine’s Independent Comic of the Year. Series Editor and Oni Press Editor-in-Chief James Lucas Jones gave additional praise to O’Malley, “it’s been an honor working with Bryan over the years. He’s got such a unique voice and I’ve been fortunate to witness him develop a style unlike anyone working in the industry today; a style that I feel will influence many future generations of comic professionals. I’m so proud that Oni has been a part of that.”

Oni Press will be rolling out a series of event announcements in the weeks and months leading up to the release, including Bryan Lee O’Malley signings at this year’s sold out San Diego Comic Con. Oni Press Publisher Joe Nozemack said about the works, “I’m convinced that Scott Pilgrim will go down as one of those series that changed comics forever. When I’m out and see someone wearing a Scott Pilgrim t-shirt or sitting in a cafe reading one of the books, I get so excited about comics entering the mainstream and to know that Oni Press’ books are helping lead the way, it’s an indescribable feeling. I can’t wait to see the reaction to the final volume!”

Bryan Lee O’Malley’s SCOTT PILGRIM VOL. 6: SCOTT PILGRIM’S FINEST HOUR, is published by Oni Press and features 248 pages of evil-ex butt-kicking in the easily digestible digest format for the low, low price of $11.99. Available at your local comic shop or bookstore Tuesday, July 20th, 2010.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2010, 12:08:20 AM »
Really liked American Vampire, the art is :drool
Drunk

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2010, 07:09:17 AM »
Damn, Palmiotti/Gray/Conner are leaving Power Girl after issue #12.  That was the only book I was buying regularly.  Oh well.
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
Power Girl has big boobies. :)
PS4

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
Yes she does
:nsfw

[close]
SRY

Diunx

« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Damn, Palmiotti/Gray/Conner are leaving Power Girl after issue #12.  That was the only book I was buying regularly.  Oh well.

A shame, Conner was the book imo, it wont be the same without her style and charm.
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
what's the best cbr reader?  i totally forgot the name of what i was using but it was some manga reader that was just amazing
Tonya

Diunx

« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
I use Pixelcomic, everyone recommends cdisplay but I just can't get used to it.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »
Weird. I can't get used to anything other than Cdisplay.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »

A shame, Conner was the book imo, it wont be the same without her style and charm.

Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray thought so, too.  I read Palmiotti's blog and he said after they found out that Amanda Conner wanted to leave (looks like to take some time off), they just couldn't bring themselves to replace her and decided to leave the book with her.  He did say that they passed along scripts to the next writer.  Maybe I will give it a chance, but it won't be the same. 

Power Girl #10 was great and the ending was awesome; at least they are going out with a bang.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2010, 01:03:44 AM »
Did anyone else here read Nemesis this week?  It's written by Mark Millar, of Wanted and Kick-Ass fame, among others.

The actual retail cover says "Makes Kick-Ass look like shit!"  :lol  The cover character is not a super hero, but rather the world's only super villain, and one hell of a ruthless son a bitch.  In just the beginning alone, he goes to Tokyo and
kidnaps the police chief, misleads his men into a building full of explosives, blows it up, causing it to crumble and fall, killing tons of people, then the frame reveals that the chief is tied up to a chair on some train tracks.  The train comes by and splatters him everywhere, then leaves the tunnel they're in and falls off the now-missing bridge that was part of the blown-up building.
[close]

It read like it was clearly intended to be made into a movie.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:08:34 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
Looks like Batman used way too much bleach when cleaning his tights.
PS4

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »
I didn't like Nemesis's art. I like McNiven but his art seemed real off. I didn't care for it all together.
Boo

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:45 AM »
Yeah, Millar's stuff just reads like movie storyboards these days. They're all 5 minute reads that are carried (or not) by the artist, plus whatever degree of shock he manages to evoke in you. Still fun for 5 minutes though.
vjj

Diunx

« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:24 AM »
I think this one already has a movie deal :lol
Drunk

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2010, 02:09:17 AM »
Yeah, Millar's stuff just reads like movie storyboards these days. They're all 5 minute reads that are carried (or not) by the artist, plus whatever degree of shock he manages to evoke in you. Still fun for 5 minutes though.

I don't know about "these days."   :lol  Wanted is what, seven years old now?  It had the same kind of feel, and the two main characters even looked suspiciously close to Eminem and Halle Berry. 
ど助平

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
i'm checking out on this and i see that Sinestro is a white lantern

WAT?

Plus Kitty is back
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:42:28 AM by Purple Filth »

Veidt

« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
wat a shitty suit he's wearing though.

Diunx

« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:15 PM »
I still don't get the mask.
Drunk

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
seems Image is re releasing YoungBlood 1 under their  "image first" label

preview of the greatness that is rob liefield  :lol

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »
 :lol
WDW

Diunx

« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
Holy shit the art in BN#8 was INSANE!!! :omg

The ending was exactly what was expected but I'm interested in how things are gonna develop.
Drunk

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
I just got this huge ass book in today:

Ninja by Brian Chippendale:

it's about a ninja and is extremely bizarre, like everything published by Picturebox

Diunx

« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
Thats a lot of panels.
Drunk

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #359 on: March 31, 2010, 07:41:33 PM »
almost every page is like that too. :lol