Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 825363 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
So let me get this straight:

-Morrison's big idea for Batman after Bruce Wayne returns (properly) to the DCU is "Batman, Inc."
-It will focus on Batman recruiting other superhero/vigilante types to wear Batman suits and fight crime in his style.
-The costume is getting a re-design, ditching the jockey shorts outside the pants (yes!) and bringing back the yellow and black bat symbol.

So are they gonna ditch "Red Robin," "Batgirl," and others and just give them all matching batsuits?

Have you actually READ a Grant Morrison comic? If so, is that really all you're expecting?
vjj

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »
That's quite a big cup he's sporting there
WDW

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2010, 02:19:50 AM »
Tomorrow ASM #641 and 642 come out. 641 gets MJ back in Spidey's life. They don't retcon out One More Gay though. Still I think Quesada caved into the negative backlash and loss of readers. This is his Twitter image:
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
I thought she died or some shit. Haven't payed attention to comics in years

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #424 on: September 09, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
My haul this week:

CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #425 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
Oh god. Quesada turned Dr. Strange into the magic Star Trek reset button.
CBG

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #426 on: September 09, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
smh at MJ. Nice art though aside from reusing a few OMD pages.
Boo

ManaByte

« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2010, 12:41:42 AM »
I fucking hate the art in #642.
CBG

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #428 on: September 11, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
wow there is a girl Scorpion and a photo negative Venom now?
WDW

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #429 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »
wow there is a girl Scorpion and a photo negative Venom now?

That venom has been around for a while now (since Brand New Day). Hes actually called Anti-Venom and is also the original Venom (aka Eddie Brock).

He literally lives up to his name.

Never knew about the female scorpion though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:08:18 PM by Purple Filth »

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #430 on: September 13, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »
http://twitter.com/markmillarideas

What if Captain America was SECRETLY a NAZI?

What if instead of KILLING KILLERS, the Punisher RAPED RAPISTS?

What if the Invisible Woman was the secret cause of male nocturnal emissions ALL ALONG?

No longer just a metaphor: what if Spidey's webbing WAS real jizz?

What if I wrote an implied rape scene and then said people were reading the rape into it?
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
Excellent. That whole page reads like it might have been his notebook. It just needs a couple Hollywood namedrop moments.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #432 on: September 14, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »
What if I made a magazine for teens and called it 'CUNT'?

oh wait, he already did that one.
vjj

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2010, 01:28:48 AM »
Mark Millar is a bottomless Scottish well of ideas.
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2010, 02:08:56 AM »
I'd buy a comic where Punisher rapes rapists. That's not too off character for Frank Castle.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #435 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
Call it "THE PENISHER"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
I'd buy a comic where Punisher rapes rapists. That's not too off character for Frank Castle.

It's better than killing him off (again) and then bringing him back as say, the Frankenstein monster.  But Marvel would never do tha-- Oh, fuck.
ど助平

ManaByte

« Reply #437 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »
CBG

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #438 on: September 21, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
so what's the story on THIS costume?
WDW

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
so what's the story on THIS costume?

this is all i could find so far,

The Story: To face off against an amped-up HOBGOBLIN, you need an amped-up SPIDER-MAN! What's the story behind Spidey's NEW SUIT? What is it and what can it do? Meanwhile, MACH 5 (from THE THUNDERBOLTS) faces off against one of Spidey's deadliest foes! All this, and a secret side mission for THE BLACK CAT. Plus an additional 8 page story: We showed you who was behind the HOBGOBLIN'S mask last issue. But what were they up to BEFORE their startling return? Here's where you find out! 40 PGS.

and hey the insignia can change color

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:10:36 PM by Purple Filth »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Spider-Man 2099?  What the shock?
ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
I think this is more like Spider-Tron
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »
ど助平

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #443 on: October 14, 2010, 01:43:42 AM »
:lol
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #444 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »
That Calvin and Hobbes Spidey is pretty darned good.

I'm re-re-reading The Walking Dead. O-M-F'ing-G, this series is excellent. I'd forgotten how some of the characters are introduced and... dismissed from the series. Without fail, Kirkman manages to keep the tone of a truly good zombie movie, never forgetting that the zombies are actually somewhat incidental; the main tension in the work must come from friction within the remaining humans.

Some memories from my previous readings remain pretty firmly attached, so it's hard to see some characters introduced, knowing how they'll end up, or what they'll end up doing. I know no-one is safe; I thought they'd have a hard time maintaining tension with "one good man," Rick Grimes, leading the storyline, but Kirkman has managed to gradually damage or kill parts of Rick to the point where that doubt has been answered. Now I'm left wondering how long the series can continue.

My hope is that it will end similarly to McCarthy's The Road, buy my fear is that it will lead a comic book's life, with a long descent into meaninglessness before it is ever canceled.

But for now it's still epic.

ManaByte

« Reply #445 on: October 19, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
I think this is more like Spider-Tron

That's EXACTLY what it is.

•   AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #651 TRON Variant, featuring Spider-Man
• AVENGERS #7 TRON Variant. featuring Spider-Woman
•   AVENGERS ACADEMY #7 TRON Variant, featuring Quicksilver
• CAPTAIN AMERICA #612 TRON Variant, featuring Captain America
• INCREDIBLE HULKS #618 TRON Variant, featuring Ghost Rider
•   INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #33 TRON Variant, featuring Iron Man
•   NEW AVENGERS #7 TRON Variant, featuring Ms. Marvel
• SECRET AVENGERS #7 TRON Variant, featuring Moon Knight
•   THOR #617 TRON Variant, featuring Thor
•   WOLVERINE #4 TRON Variant, featuring Wolverine
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #446 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

:drool
SRY

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: October 19, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Lots of horrible artwork going on there!

The only good one is the Ghost Rider Tron cover.  It works.

On the comics front, I've been reading the Secret Invasion storyline from 5-6 years back on an iPhone comic reader.  I really, really like what they did with New Avengers and Mighty Avengers during this time, using both books to focus on the Skrulls who replaced certain key characters and showing everything from their points of view.  Also like some of the other tie-in books that feature other Skrull characters who have either been "hiding" on Earth in human identities and aren't on the Skrull invasion side, and the kooky "Skrull Kill Krew" that is just now popping up where I'm at in this story.  The one part of the story I cannot stand is the stupid "Skrull-god" storyline in the Hercules books.  It looks like that set up for the current Hercules storyline that has just started now.

Also decided to order The Battle For Bludhaven and both Freedom Fighters TPBs that came out recently, since I started getting the new series.  I read Bludhaven is one of those so-bad-it's-good books, and that the first FF TPB is good but the second is...eh, but I wanted to try them all. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:21:59 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #448 on: October 19, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
I'm up to the prison sequence in my re-reading of The Walking Dead. I'd forgotten about how creepy Michonne is, right from the start, and I'd completely forgotten how quickly the situation with the neighboring community and "The Governor" unravels.

I'm going to have to pace myself through the four new trade paperbacks I picked up. Reading through this, the pace seems relentless, like there is no break at all where people can just relax and show the portion of their personalities that isn't completely wrapped up in this dire, traumatic situation. There are several spots where it looks like they're going to be able to put down stakes and relax, but it never actually pans out. Even the prison.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #449 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm up to the prison sequence in my re-reading of The Walking Dead. I'd forgotten about how creepy Michonne is, right from the start, and I'd completely forgotten how quickly the situation with the neighboring community and "The Governor" unravels.

I'm going to have to pace myself through the four new trade paperbacks I picked up. Reading through this, the pace seems relentless, like there is no break at all where people can just relax and show the portion of their personalities that isn't completely wrapped up in this dire, traumatic situation. There are several spots where it looks like they're going to be able to put down stakes and relax, but it never actually pans out. Even the prison.

I did a bit of thinking about how they could wrap the TV series up quickly if it doesn't last long enough to follow the full narrative of the comic. This got me thinking about how the comic should end. The only logical conclusion is a last panel of Zombie Rick chewing on his son, Carl. Or MAYBE Carl gnawing on Rick but I doubt it. Anything else would be a betrayal of the promise implicit in the title.

Last night I read Alison Bechdel's rather extraordinary 'Fun Home'. It was so good I bought another copy for my mum, which might be the first and last comic she'll ever read. Can't recommend it highly enough, it even has enough gay quotient for EB, being written by a lesbian activist and daughter of a gay father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Home
vjj

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #450 on: October 30, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
How is Superman: Earth One? amazon is selling the hardcover for 10 bucks.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2010, 01:33:32 AM »

I did a bit of thinking about how they could wrap the TV series up quickly if it doesn't last long enough to follow the full narrative of the comic. This got me thinking about how the comic should end. The only logical conclusion is a last panel of Zombie Rick chewing on his son, Carl. Or MAYBE Carl gnawing on Rick but I doubt it. Anything else would be a betrayal of the promise implicit in the title.

Last night I read Alison Bechdel's rather extraordinary 'Fun Home'. It was so good I bought another copy for my mum, which might be the first and last comic she'll ever read. Can't recommend it highly enough, it even has enough gay quotient for EB, being written by a lesbian activist and daughter of a gay father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Home
I dunno, like The Road, this is a story about a father and son journey. Kirkman has stated that it's only about Rick, and the changes that a person would go through in this situation. I think at some point Rick will likely die, and we'll see some hint of where Carl will next go. But the story can't be about Carl, because it's not a story about the loss of the world for him. It's constantly shown that Carl is more practical in adapting to every situation. He may bawl and cry occasionally when things are understandably emotional, but he also has shown more pathos when appropriate -- and less, when the situation has demanded it.

I'm up to the beginning of "Fear the Hunters" in the TPBs, and I'm still stunned how Kirkman continues to pull rabbits out of a hat I was certain was entirely empty.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #452 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Agree that Rick will die; after that we will find out where Carl goes

spoiler (click to show/hide)
(down Daddy's throat)
[close]

Seriously, that's the last, ultimate thing that can be done to Rick in this world. The final, inevitable defeat of a noble man by horrendous circumstance. Some variation of this will happen. Carl is a product of the current world, to a large extent - he barely knows anything else. Thus he's never going to be as interesting a protagonist as Rick. A story about Carl would boil down to a simple survival tale, without all the pathos brought in by the loss of his previous world.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
COMICS COMICS COMICS COMICS COMICS OMG I'M DROWNING IN THEM!  :spin

I was wanting to read some Green Lantern before the movie came out and also because I kinda want to know what's going on with this whole Blackest Night/Brightest Day business, when I came across a whole slew of used GL TPBs at Hastings for $4-7 each. I got:

I did a little research online, and I think this is every TPB of the rebooted GL & GL Corps series that have been released so far. I read the first few, alternating between GL & Corps and it's been pretty good so far. I'm just about to start the Sinestro Corps War. At first I was like  :dizzy when they started talking about Hal Jordan being both Parallax and Spectre, because I'm not really up on DC Mythos, so I had to wiki some of that. But apparently they just brought up all that old stuff just so they could totally dismiss it and start all over, so that's okay. I just want to see Flying Green Jedi blasting alien scum with green lasers, pretty much.

Also, non-GL related, I got:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:12:45 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2010, 05:23:49 AM »
Look on the bright side Joe - you got one good one (R.I.P.)
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
A good superhero comic? Don't be silly, I'm sure there's no such thing. It's all the about the deaths, the resurrections, the crazy personalities, the allegiance changes, the over-the-top storylines, and guys in tights beating the crap out of each other. It's like Professional Wrestling for people who can read. :rock
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #456 on: November 06, 2010, 04:01:53 AM »
There are oodles of great superhero comics. For my sins, I've read every page of that Green Lantern stuff in scans and I can barely remember any of it. Given what you're looking for, I'd try Invincible, maybe - things can actually happen there since it's creator-owned. Consistently fun series. 
vjj

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #457 on: November 06, 2010, 05:06:55 AM »
i read superman red son recently, it was good except for the lol twist ending
萌え~

Powerslave

« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »
thread needs more pictures

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #459 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
There are oodles of great superhero comics. For my sins, I've read every page of that Green Lantern stuff in scans and I can barely remember any of it. Given what you're looking for, I'd try Invincible, maybe - things can actually happen there since it's creator-owned. Consistently fun series. 

Invincible! Another Kirkman series, what a shock! I have the first TPB of it, and keep meaning to grab more. Good stuff.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #460 on: November 06, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »
Invincible was pretty awesome from what I remember of it - at least through the WATWAT end of the first story arc. I read a bit past that but never really got into it as much.

Also: finally got caught back up on Astro City :bow2
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
That's a great series. I read it and the Forty-Niners series prequel. Wait... am I thinking of Top-Ten?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
That's a great series. I read it and the Forty-Niners series prequel. Wait... am I thinking of Top-Ten?

Yeah. Astro City is by Kurt Busiek. Top Ten is Alan Moore. It's good stuff, at least for the first year or so. After that I lost track a bit.
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #463 on: November 10, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »
JMS has quit monthly comics, saying that graphic novels are the future.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #464 on: November 10, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
I think just about everyone but the hardest of the hardcore just wait for the inevitable trade paperback to come out anyway. So that's probably the right move.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #465 on: November 10, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
Just finished reading

It was awesome. :rock Batman should die more often.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #466 on: November 10, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

MARK MILLAR
乱学者

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #467 on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »
I'm looking into getting some Graphic Novels again, but I need help choosing some. I like theo nes that are based onr eality, not superhero ones, i've read Walking Dead, Kick-Ass,Y:TLM, Box Office Poison, some of Fables, Scott Pilgrims, Marvel 1602 but im lookign for more reccomendations, but I don't like single issues I like TPD reccs please
USA

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »

MARK MILLAR

But what if the Punisher really was a rapist that raped rapists? Best comic ever.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Just finished reading

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, I love this. The writing is eh, solid enough but the art is just stunning. Loved his riffing on Mazuchelli. The only drawback is that the cool double-page layouts were spoiled a bit by the spine.
It's coming back soon, in case you weren't aware. JH is writing as well.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
Just finished reading

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, I love this. The writing is eh, solid enough but the art is just stunning. Loved his riffing on Mazuchelli. The only drawback is that the cool double-page layouts were spoiled a bit by the spine.
It's coming back soon, in case you weren't aware. JH is writing as well.

Yeah, I was constantly trying to spread the pages apart just a little bit wider. I'll definitely check out the solo series though, JH Williams artwork is just incredible.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
JH Williams has to be close to the top, right now. I prefer Quitely but JH is just killing it. Wish we saw more from both of those guys. I got the two Promethea Absolute volumes recently, the ones Williams did with Alan Moore. It's just gorgeous.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
Also, anyone who's re-reading All-Star Superman in the Absolute version really needs to read this:

http://techland.com/2010/11/02/the-secret-of-all-star-superman/

I've read the series 3 times but this never occurred to me even though I was SURE there was something weird going on with Quintum.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #474 on: November 11, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »
Also, anyone who's re-reading All-Star Superman in the Absolute version really needs to read this:

http://techland.com/2010/11/02/the-secret-of-all-star-superman/

I've read the series 3 times but this never occurred to me even though I was SURE there was something weird going on with Quintum.

just to be clear, the Absolute is out this week. I know you sort of implied that but I thought I should make it explicit.

that's a cool theory re: Quintum; not sure I buy it but I'll pay attention while re-reading.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
One theory I have is that Leo Quintum is a descendent of Lex, not Lex himself - kind of like Braniac 5 to Braniac. He's still a time traveller, but he's trying to atone for his ancestor's ills, not his own. I have a feeling the text supports this reading equally well, plus there's the whole "Quintum" / "5" connection.
[close]

Morrison is the master of the new-but-really-old character.

:bow Xorn :bow2

:bow Oberon Sexton :bow2

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:10:23 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

« Reply #475 on: November 11, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »
http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com

I posted this in the Outside link thread the other day, pretty entertaining stuff.
野球

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #476 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
It's like shitmanabytesays.
brb

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: November 11, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com

I posted this in the Outside link thread the other day, pretty entertaining stuff.

These are my good sweat pants, mom! Gah!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #478 on: November 15, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
After reading Batman R.I.P., I also read through "Batman and Son" and "Batman: The Black Glove" to get the lead up. Now I'm pumped for some DC mythos. I usually only read the self-contained stories, but I decided to go all in and read through all the Crises.

Today, I read:

Then I started on:

And waiting I've got:

So, yeah, I think I'm good to go. Kinda maybe went a little bit crazy, may regret this, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:44:11 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #479 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
my god, Joe. Your poor eyes. Final Crisis is the shit but to be honest I'd recommend reading it 3 times rather than reading the rest of it once.
vjj