Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 819104 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Avengers gender and race changes for everyone!
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »
::)
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
Put me in with the "Morrison (and especially Morrison/Quietly) =  :yuck :yuck :yuck" crowd.  I did like it when they did the Authority though, go figure.
It's like I don't even know you. You are dead to me.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ded.
[close]

Morrison wants to be Alan Moore so bad his stories are becoming jokes. DC is going to need to do REALLY FINAL CRISIS once he's done fucking with Batman.
I'm pretty sure that, despite both of them claiming to be magicians, Alan Moore is eccentric but verifiably sane and Morrison is probably actually insane but socially productive. Any writer who doesn't respect and admire Alan Moore is speaking from a place of jealous self-delusion; even Warren Fucking Ellis is pretty candid with the regard in which he holds AM.

Sadly, I must admit to speaking out of ignorance. I've heard the Batman stuff he's been doing is a bit esoteric and, unlike his I-don't-really-give-a-shit-about-canon run on NEW X-MEN, I've heard that he's bringing the craziest stuff out for Bats. I also wasn't entirely fond of Morrison's pretentious Arkham Asylum when it first came out, so...

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 01:54:01 AM »
The only artist worse than Quietly is Liefeld. It's like Quietly makes too much an effort to make his Superheroes look extremely gay.
CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
I'm thinking specifically about the "New X-Men."  I hated it so much.  The story, the art, the roster, the costumes...yuck.  Haven't been much of an X-Men fan since then; wasn't thrilled with Astonishing X-Men, the new teams (with Wolverine appearing on every fucking one of them), the Academy-X stuff, and everything after, although I kind of remember liking House Of M.  But I only read the first five or so issues (whatever was collected in the first TPB) of New X-Men and stopped after that, so if it got better, I will see about going back and reading everything I missed.

Only just in the last few months have I decided to try some of the books again.  The funny thing is that I have fond memories of a lot of the stories Chris Clarement did, but then X-Men Forever came out and sucked a sweaty ball sack.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:55:55 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:13 AM »
The only artist worse than Quietly is Liefeld. It's like Quietly makes too much an effort to make his Superheroes look extremely gay.

Can't agree with that.  There's a difference between the two:  Quietly can actually draw; I think his artwork is ugly, but he's certainly got talent.  Liefeld cannot draw for shit, yet somehow managed to make himself a career in comics, and even got himself a Levi's commercial. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:01:49 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:47 AM »
I miss the '80s.  Jerry Ordway, Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle...those were great comic book artists.
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »
I got a lot of old TPBs at my folks' place.  Recently I re-read X-Tinction Agenda from the early 90s.  It was like X-Men (Jim Lee)  :o :D :D :D, X-Factor (???:( :-X :-\, and finally The New Mutants (Our good buddy Rob)  ??? :maf :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck as far as the art goes.

It also seems like just about all the superhero books sucked for a while from the mid-90s until the 2000s, but I still don't know what the fuck I was thinking at the time, dropping Marvel for Image.  I keep going through old comic boxes and looking through stuff, and so many of those Image mags are beyond awful, Erik Larson stuff aside.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:53:01 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
Quitely's art is ugly? My god, just stop reading comics. He may draw ugly people, but ugly art? Are you fucking kidding me? I could stare at any Frank Quitely book all day.
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2009, 08:31:15 AM »
I remember when Image Comics launched, and it was all about "LOOK! These creators are famous for handling your favorite heroes at Marvel and DC! Now watch what happens when they're OFF THE LEASH!"

...and it was all crap. It all seemed like second-run imitations of Marvel and DC crap, nothing new under the sun, and McFarlane couldn't write, and his Spawn series was just tremendously clichéd and jumbled and horrible. It was funny, they drag in Gaiman to actually write something decent and he creates Angela, and with all the talk about creator-ownership and people getting their due, Gaiman sued McFarlane for not abiding by the terms of his creation of the character.

It was the same story when Dreamworks was founded; I got all excited to see what directors would do when they were not answerable to some massive, oppressive established movie studio -- and they produced Peacekeeper, a competent but generally lifeless, completely standard action movie.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »
All-Star Superman is a terrific miniseries, you don't really have to know jack shit about Superman to enjoy it

Joe Kelly wrote a Superman story in Action Comics #775 called What's so funny about Truth, Justice & the American Way? which is probably the best single issue Superman comic in the past ten years.

I mostly hate new (mainstream) comics.  They're too expensive, too inbred, too charmless and cynical.  I mainly stick with reprints of stuff pre-1980 or independents nowadays, if I read at all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:45:34 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
I find it hard to take seriously any adult who takes Blackest Night seriously; I mean, it has the same plot and structure as The Care Bears Movie, for fuck's sake.

This is Geoff Johns:  :supergay
乱学者

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
you've watched the care bear movie enough to draw the parallels?

Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
All-Star Superman is a terrific miniseries, you don't really have to know jack shit about Superman to enjoy it

Joe Kelly wrote a Superman story in Action Comics #775 called What's so funny about Truth, Justice & the American Way? which is probably the best single issue Superman comic in the past ten years.

I mostly hate new (mainstream) comics.  They're too expensive, too inbred, too charmless and cynical.  I mainly stick with reprints of stuff pre-1980 or independents nowadays, if I read at all.

That issue IS pretty awesome. :bow Manchester Black :bow2
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »
you've watched the care bear movie enough to draw the parallels?

Only the once! I mean, it doesn't have the rewatchability of the Strawberry Shortcake movie.

Anyway, both Blackest Night and the Care Bears movie are about several different protagonists, each with a representative color and emotion, working together to make a big happy rainbow that stops the bad guys. I guess Blackest Night has more tits, as well as a villain named Larfleeze, a portmanteau of "lard" and "sleaze."

You know, Blackest Night also has the same plot as most Lucky Charms commercials.
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
You know, Blackest Night also has the same plot as most Lucky Charms commercials.

Now those have rewatchability. Mmmm. Cereal.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »

You suck at everything.
Drunk

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2010, 05:09:06 PM »
Quitely's art is ugly? My god, just stop reading comics. He may draw ugly people, but ugly art? Are you fucking kidding me? I could stare at any Frank Quitely book all day.

Considering that superhero comics focus on the people, uh...yeah.   :lol  Kind of reminds me of the guy who draws Initial D, where the cars are insanely detailed, but the people are ugly as sin.  Anyway, like I said, Quietly has talent.  I hate his artwork, but he's no Rob Liefeld.
ど助平

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »

Considering that superhero comics focus on the people, uh...yeah.   :lol  Kind of reminds me of the guy who draws Initial D, where the cars are insanely detailed, but the people are ugly as sin.  Anyway, like I said, Quietly has talent.  I hate his artwork, but he's no Rob Liefeld.

I weep for the blighted wasteland that is your soul. :'(
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »
:rofl
vjj

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »
It would have been perfect, but Jeff Loeb? 
ど助平

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »
It was him or Geoff Johns! Johns sometimes accidentally writes something readable, though.
乱学者

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
It was him or Geoff Johns! Johns sometimes accidentally writes something readable, though.

I don't read anything from those two, although I did get Batman Hush a few years back...for Jim Lee. 

Am I right that Loeb is doing the Hulk stuff?  And Johns is of course doing DC Care Bears.
ど助平

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
yeah, that's right. Loeb has the most depressing quote in all comics.

In an interview with Loeb, Z. Julian Cenac of ComixFan.com noted that some readers were upset that the Red Hulk was able to thrash other powerful Marvel characters, and were concerned that such a high power-level wouldn't be sustainable. Loeb replied, "I tell the best stories I can."[24]

:linkinpark
乱学者

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
And now there's Red She-Hulk!  What creativity!
ど助平

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
The only reason Loeb gets work is out of pity because his kid died.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
I liked the work Jeph Loeb did on Long Halloween, Catwoman: When in Rome, and Superman for All Season. Does that makes me a bad person?
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
I think I've read all of those and all I can remember is some tasty art from Tim Sale and Darwyn Cooke. I don't think i've ever read a Loeb comic for the writing, in fact. I don't despise him or anything, he just leaves no impression for the  most part. The Ultimates stuff was beyond distinguished mentally-challenged but everybody gets one strike.
vjj

ManaByte

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »
Ultimates: strike one
Heroes: strike two
Red Hulk: strike three

I can't belive he was allowed anywhere near Lost.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:37:33 PM by ManaByte »
CBG

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:16 PM »
God, he sure did turn Heroes from must-see TV into the laughing stock of the nation in 1 season flat
乱学者

ManaByte

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
Not hating X-Men Forever. An X-Men book without Wolverine in every panel is a good thing.
CBG

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
I haven't read a mainstream superhero book in years.  I heard Blue Beetle got killed off, which pisses me off.  He was one of my all-time favorite comic book characters.

I think the last superhero comic book I read regularly was Kurt Busiek's Astro City.  Then he got mercury poisoning and stopped doing it. :(

I did pick up the Identity Crisis and Emerald Rebirth mini-series just to see what was going on and thought both were awful (but had nice artwork).
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
I haven't read a mainstream superhero book in years.  I heard Blue Beetle got killed off, which pisses me off.  He was one of my all-time favorite comic book characters.

they killed him off in a really shitty way, too
sup

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
Pick up All Star Superman if you haven't read it, probably the best superhero book of the decade.
Drunk

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

I have the entire '80s Justice League run packed in a box somewhere in my closet back home.  My all-time favorite superhero book. :(

I'm sure they'll bring the character back eventually...they do it with every single comic book character these days.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:37 AM »
Pick up All Star Superman if you haven't read it, probably the best superhero book of the decade.

Is it out in paperback? I don't buy single issues anymore.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »

Is it out in paperback? I don't buy single issues anymore.

It's out in hardback release.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
i hope they do an absolute edition of that series

so awesome
Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
Not hating X-Men Forever. An X-Men book without Wolverine in every panel is a good thing.

No, instead you have Exiles-Sabretooth and WOLVER-KITTY taking his place.  I think I am gonna download all the issues so far, because the one issue I did read was a total trainwreck, and I'd like to know how it got to that point.  Also, if it takes place right after X-Men #1-3, where are the rest of the X-Men?  There's a bunch of them missing.

Speaking of Exiles, I just finished reading through the entire first 100 issue series.  Pretty fun read for the most part; most of the filler issues kind of sucked (I love how they take two issues to show what happens to four of the characters when they are all split up, but Mimic, who gets lost in an alternate reality for FOUR YEARS, gets nothing), and the Weapon-X stuff was awesome and way under-utilized...it was fun seeing the deranged/psychotic characters running around screwing with alternate realities.  Way, way too many Wolverines, but at least none of them were ever on the team roster.  (Of course Mimic had to have Wolvie claws and healing factor...can't have an "X" book without some kind of Wolverine!) 

Now it's time for New Exiles, which looks to be nothing like the original series and just more Claremont nuttiness.  I already know that it ends with zero explanation of how Psylocke got back to the main universe.  Brilliant! 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:16:35 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »

And then they got some kid to replace him, right?  But the original is back as EVIL ZOMBIE MAN in DC Care Bears!
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
I just read the Wiki.  That makes no sense at all.  The Ted Kord Wiki says his body was incinerated, so how could he come back as a Black Lantern or whatever?  I can understand making a mistake in continuity for an older story, but wasn't Ted Kord killed off just a couple of years ago?  How can the writers have forgotten that the body was reduced to cinders?
PS4

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
i really like Jamie Reyes, the new blue beetle
Tonya

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »
Never heard of that character.
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
I just read the Wiki.  That makes no sense at all.  The Ted Kord Wiki says his body was incinerated, so how could he come back as a Black Lantern or whatever?  I can understand making a mistake in continuity for an older story, but wasn't Ted Kord killed off just a couple of years ago?  How can the writers have forgotten that the body was reduced to cinders?

In Final Crisis, we see Batman's charred skeleton, and then him alive in a stone age cave a few pages later. Would love to know how both happened but I suspect only No-Prizes will be handed out for those who take issue with it, as usual. I'm waaaaaaay past caring about stuff like this. Note it in passing and accept it.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »
Jaime Reyes (the new young, Hispanic Blue Beetle) is really, really awesome. No offense meant to Ted Kord, who totally went out an undeserved punk.

I believe Ted Kord is back in the pages of Booster Gold, but since he's travelling with Booster throughout the multiverse, no one in main DC continuity knows he's "alive."

How have I lived my life in such a way to know these things.

EDIT: Apparently that only lasted for a few issues before Ted Kord redied again and is now a Black Lantern. COMICS!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:26:03 PM by Synthesizer Patel »
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
whoops

it's jaime reyes

totally awesome character

Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
Remember when characters dying in comics was a big deal?  Now it's like Dragonball Z.
ど助平

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2010, 11:06:29 PM »
Well, they can't ever die permanently now that the prospect of even the most questionable characters being turned into a multi-billion dollar movie franchise exists. It shouldn't really matter all that much, since most kids only read comics for 4-5 yrs - keep a character dead for that length of time and it has SOME meaning. The creators don't have a lot of choice in this.

One more reason to step outside of Marvel/DC.
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
I blame Waid and Johns, who want to play with the exact same toys they had in the 1970s
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »
Well, they can't ever die permanently now that the prospect of even the most questionable characters being turned into a multi-billion dollar movie franchise exists. It shouldn't really matter all that much, since most kids only read comics for 4-5 yrs - keep a character dead for that length of time and it has SOME meaning. The creators don't have a lot of choice in this.

One more reason to step outside of Marvel/DC.

Yeah, I don't mind death/resurrection if it's handled well, and there's the whole "too soon" thing -- most of these guys are dead for a couple months, and then they're back. Doesn't that mean a religion should be founded on them?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
They killed off Superboy during Infinite Crisis and brought him back less than a year later. :lol

They brought back Barry Allen, what the fuck...

Reading these wikis is fuck depressing.

Oh, they brought back Ice! Sweet, another of my favorite Justice League characters.  Just sucks that they brought her back only to kill off Ted Kord. :(
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
They killed off Superboy during Infinite Crisis and brought him back less than a year later. :lol

They brought back Barry Allen, what the fuck...

Reading these wikis is fuck depressing.

Oh, they brought back Ice! Sweet, another of my favorite Justice League characters.  Just sucks that they brought her back only to kill off Ted Kord. :(

Just checking, 'cause you seem to be a bit out of the loop: have you read the JLA Classified stuff by the classic Giffen-DeMatteis-McGuire team? It was pretty awesome and featured Ice heavily.
vjj

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
I'm majorly out of the loop.  Are you talking about the Super Buddies thing?
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:50 AM »
here's what wikipedia has to say:

[edit] Formerly Known as the Justice League
Main article: Super Buddies
In 2003, Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire returned with a separate limited series called Formerly Known as the Justice League with the same humor as their Justice League run, and featuring some of the same characters in a team called the "Super Buddies" (a parody of the Super Friends). A follow-up limited series, entitled I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League, soon was prepared, although it was delayed due to the events shown in the Identity Crisis limited series, but was eventually released as the second arc in JLA: Classified. The Super Buddies consisted of Blue Beetle; Booster Gold; Captain Atom, Fire; Mary Marvel; the Elongated Man with his wife, Sue Dibny; Maxwell Lord; and L-Ron. The second story arc of JLA: Classified focuses on the Super Buddies in a humorous story that features Power Girl, Guy Gardner, and Doctor Fate.

I can mail you the scans if you want, just pm me.
vjj

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »
I have the first Super Buddies trade paperback.  I think a second series came out at some point but I don't know if it was collected into trade?
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:35 AM »
The 2nd series is the JLA Classified arc, "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League'' but no idea if it was collected.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »
They also did a reasonably fun Defenders mini-series for Marvel. Why Kevin McGuire isn't working on a major book at all times, I have no idea. Still does the best facial expressions in comics.
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
I don't read Marvel very much, but Planet Hulk was all kinds of awesome.
dog