Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018437 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18060 on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
I'd like to play some Metroid-ass Metroid.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18061 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
my 3ds broke so emu will be the way to go
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18062 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18063 on: August 09, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
im mad i didnt get the collectors edition of this game
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18064 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:03 AM »
I've got to say, I've really enjoyed having a gaming computer. Playing stuff like Doom, Gears 4, Quantum Break, and Vanquish on Ultra settings in 60fps is pretty amazing.

Recently I spent over $3,000 pretty much on games and electronics and before that I bought some furniture for our basement. I gotta say its a pretty cool little nerd mecca.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18065 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
What the fuck they made a sequel to Kingdom of Loathing :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Might buy
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18066 on: August 10, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
They talked about this on the latest Idlethumbs podcast. Sounded very interesting.

Raist

« Reply #18067 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
KoL was awesome. I had no idea they were making a new one. I mean, KoL came out like 15 years ago :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18068 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »

I assume this is the same Tim Rogers who used to write 10,000 word rambling essays back in the early 2000's. If so, he looks exactly what I expect him to. Though I agree 100% with the premise of the video, just not the choice of haircut!
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18069 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »
Bought two copies of Night Trap for PS4
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18070 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
I'm forever mad that someone stole my copy for 32x. rip Dana Plato
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18071 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »
i really want to be interested in agents of mayhem, but the gameplay looks so last-gen to me. like it's another saint's row but with new characters
pcp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18072 on: August 11, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »
the world apparently sucks, generic with little interaction or population, and apparently unlike Saints Row all the missions are set in it, you just go to place fight dude and go other place, rather than locations specifically setup for the missions

so like a whole game of clearing out those random bases of dudes with something to press a button on or shoot or whatever they'd have all over the map in The Third and IV and Gat out of Hell; at least that's what Volition's one stream looked like was just that over and over all over the map

Quote from: Kotaku
What tickles the hell out of me here is that all of the agents warp into vehicles with this cool animation, but when it’s time to leave they just open the door and step out.
:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #18073 on: August 11, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »

:kobeyuck :holeup :donot

benjipwns

« Reply #18074 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
oh god watching IGN quick look equivalent?, they are not only terrible at using the controls they can't figure the game out because they aren't following any directions or indicators and keep blaming the game as being complicated in design and not explaining things when there's literally arrows all over the screen pointing where to go which has an indicator with distance... at one point until someone in chat finally tells them they're driving around the same block over and over looking for a truck to chase and the game is trying to tell them to go inside a building

they also talked about Mars Attacks for like two minutes before both saying they don't remember anything about it and haven't really seen it

anyway, after i bailed out of that by muting them, game looks like it has less traffic and pedestrians on the streets than saints row 2 does...and it's kinda crazy that this is what they've been working on all generation and for nearly five years, an entirely single player shooter where you can swap borderlands-ish type characters in and out instead of customization? a comic book style the division? i guess there weren't many places to go once they let you pretty much fly all over the city with super powers but the mission design isn't even a step-back because both SR and GTA always set the missions up as unique locations/events, this is more like the division's where it just sticks the stuff into the pre-existing open world and puts a different name above the baddie

hopefully they'll free weekend it and i can beat a third or half of it and go...enh maybe when it drops below $X i'll buy it to finish like the division

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18075 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
yeah that awful ign video was what inspired my post. game sounds like crackdown which tbh i hated bc it felt like the skeleton of what should be a better game. just sucks because it feels like they've been treading water for so long. saint's row had fantastic scenario design but the gameplay never quite felt like it kept up, and this looks like more of what they've been giving us for the last decade.
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #18076 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
the kotaku article i read had a bunch of stuff in the comments regarding whether it had Saints Row's "dick jokes humor" and the writer explaining how it thankfully didn't and that this instead was much more clever like how they get in and out of cars

but despite that writer who was weirdly embarrassed about himself personally to be someone who was playing a game that had a dildo bat among its weapons...none of the Saints Row games did either, it had a couple throwaway lines of dialogue in some of the games, but most of the humor was how it was playing completely straight the absurd situations

the humor in this seems more like Borderlands 2 or something

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18077 on: August 11, 2017, 09:00:32 PM »
Can't spell ignorant without IGN, amirite fellow 90's kids?
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #18078 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »

Can we add

"I don't care who you are, if you don't love coffee like I love coffee, I'll ask you to leave. (Pending policy approval from PAX management)" to the bannerfeed?

etiolate

« Reply #18079 on: August 12, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »
Do you have to bring a cup of coffee from home? Because that would make it even better.

benjipwns

« Reply #18080 on: August 12, 2017, 04:24:01 AM »
Calling it now, you play as a barista/private eye who gains different powers from different coffee blends. Who was murdered by an old British tea company run by ghosts with an overly complex apocalyptic plan.

SOMETHING MARIO AND LUIGI: SUPERSTAR SAGA DID
THE DIFFERENT COFFEE BLENDS, NOT THE MURDERED BY HAUNTED BRITISH TEA COMPANY THING
I WOULD PREORDER THIS GAME IMMEDIATELY BTW
[close]
[close]
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18081 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »

Shuri

« Reply #18082 on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
it's pretty crazy how cheap sfc games still are.

I may or may noth have gone on a purchasing frenzy  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #18083 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »

Raist

« Reply #18084 on: August 12, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
Wow thanks EA

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18085 on: August 12, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18086 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Made me want to reinstall Crysis, but then I remembered that I only own it on disc. Oh well.

benjipwns

« Reply #18087 on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
It's busted on Windows 10, have to install a "fan-made patch" iirc. Might be related to the DRM it uses.

A bunch of EA stuff around that era is like that. Medal of Honor Airborne gets stuck in that "Please install on a Windows newer than 98 or ME" loop.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18088 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
it's pretty crazy how cheap sfc games still are.

I may or may noth have gone on a purchasing frenzy  :doge

Pics?

I picked up a lot of shit from the LI Retro Expo myself, will post some pics tomorrow.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18089 on: August 13, 2017, 01:27:22 AM »
Shit, perfect time Noah. I've been replaying Crysis 2 and 3.

Is anyone else kind of on this playing games scholarly? Like I know it sounds stupid, but I actually just replayed Halo 4 and 5 and not really for fun. Sure I was interested in playing 4 on the xbox one to see it in 60fps, but most of my curiosity was to see why the franchisee seems kind of dead and tired to me. Which then lead to Halo 5. I was kind of only playing them to create thoughts and ideas about their stance in the series.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18090 on: August 13, 2017, 05:26:39 AM »
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18091 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
Is anyone else kind of on this playing games scholarly? Like I know it sounds stupid, but I actually just replayed Halo 4 and 5 and not really for fun. Sure I was interested in playing 4 on the xbox one to see it in 60fps, but most of my curiosity was to see why the franchisee seems kind of dead and tired to me. Which then lead to Halo 5. I was kind of only playing them to create thoughts and ideas about their stance in the series.
Not intentionally. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for new releases a couple years back, which lead to me mainly playing a lot of old games I've missed or found out about by trawling "hidden gem" lists. There's no hope I'll ever take a look at all of them (especially when I keep going back to staples like Path of Exile and Dirty Bomb), but occasionally something pops into my head apropos of nothing and I actually make time to play it, like Alien Resurrection for the PS.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:42:39 AM by Rufus »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18092 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
It's busted on Windows 10, have to install a "fan-made patch" iirc. Might be related to the DRM it uses.

A bunch of EA stuff around that era is like that. Medal of Honor Airborne gets stuck in that "Please install on a Windows newer than 98 or ME" loop.
Ew. I remember that now. Had to revoke the license when I was done, because it only came with 5 installs or something. :holeup
"fan-made patch" meaning cracked executable, huh :yoho
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18093 on: August 13, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
I'm replaying all the zeldas. I just finished LttP, and am sorta finding that Zelda is a great sense of a adventure broken up by bits of annoyance. Like getting ready for Ocarina and I'm like "Sigh, there's that Jabu Jabu thing with Zora princess, then the water temple. sigh" Then there's most of Skyward Sword.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18094 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
Nice.. I'm still working on my Persona 5 platinum
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18095 on: August 13, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »

I do that sometimes, usually if I miss the "hype" phase of a game release.

I like 343 Halo though they always seem to miss the Bungie bar by a couple notches. 4 and 5 are a lot better than hardcore Halo fans give them credit for but they do have problems. The prometheans in 4 are not fun to fight, and on legendary this becomes even more of a problem. Kind of a controversial opnion but as far as 5 goes...they should have cut MC entirely. I think 343 has created some interesting characters (palmer) and scenarios on the human side of things but having to clearly continue from where Bungie left off is hurting them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18096 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
Halo went downhill after 3 and died with 343.  Props to them for making the choice between the PS4 and XBone really easy back in 2013, though.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18097 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »

I assume this is the same Tim Rogers who used to write 10,000 word rambling essays back in the early 2000's. If so, he looks exactly what I expect him to. Though I agree 100% with the premise of the video, just not the choice of haircut!

O...M...G...that haircut.
:dead
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18098 on: August 13, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »

:kobeyuck :holeup :donot
Who is the game for? Not me

I'm not gonna watch some IGN crap, but I saw some videos of a let's play dude playing it and the game looks fun enough to me.  Volition has yet to let me down.  Have this pre-loaded on Steam and ready to go.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18099 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Went to the LI Retro Gaming Expo this weekend, and it was probably the best one yet. The expo has been consistently growing, and they moved to the Cradle of Aviation Museum - so it was interesting having all the panels in a planetarium! Retronauts did their podcast there (Parish and Kurt Kalata who runs Hardcore Gaming 101 were there), Cheapy D and The 8 Bit Guy were also there but I didn't see them. My friend brought his X68000 and that was a hit too.

My haul:

3DO Console cib, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus, Crash Bandicoot 3, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Limited Edition, Koudelka, Sword of Hope, Mega Man 5, Shadow Madness, Cosmic Fantasy 3, Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, The Castlevania Adventure, Felix the Cat, Penguin Land, Atomic Robo Kid, Shining in the Darknwss, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Cloud Master, Hyper Play fanzine issue 0, and I found an Above and Beyond pin of all things there...

^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18100 on: August 13, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
Nice pickups
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18101 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
shadow madness my nicca
fat

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #18102 on: August 14, 2017, 03:49:46 AM »
Why is it called 2.8? That seems so random.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18103 on: August 14, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
2 = kh2
2.5 = kh bbs
2.8 = kh 3d
3 = kh3

so yes, it is confusing
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18104 on: August 15, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »
I really don't get the reception Quantum Break got. I'm almost done playing the PC version and it really re-affirms my belief that it was a pretty good game.  Remedy are really good at TPS and while I remember agreeing with some that the shooting felt off, I don't really feel that now. I'm playing on PC, but with and Xbox controller and the shooting feels great. There's still some weight and it's not Vanquish Arcadey, but like that game it really does want you to use your powers while only using cover as a last resort. So it gets really fun zipping around, throwing bullet explosions on people, and using your own bullet shield. Combat feels kind of hectic, but the fun is managing that. 

And honestly the story is pretty enjoyable. Fantastic world building with all the emails and whatnot and I don't know pretty good attempts at making likable characters. I mean non here is fantastic, but no one feels like a douchy try hard. And yeah Little Finger as the main villain is actually probably one of the best and most well realized villains recently.

Also the game is beautiful on PC.

I feel this game was really underrated.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18105 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:56 AM »
I fucking love remedy.I think the big break for them really lies in translating that TPS carnage experience they've mastered to multiplayer.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18106 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
No issue with Quantum Break but the final boss on the hardest difficulty was some bullshit
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

« Reply #18108 on: August 15, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
i don't want to get into a whole big political debate and i'm not saying "both sides do it" and all, but the mushroom kingdom has some seriously messed up policies regarding civil rights and the like

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18109 on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »
Benji, where you at, new Cookie Clicker update, just in time for the 4th anniversary. :lawd

Also, I found my old save from a couple of years ago that I thought I had lost. (It was in a text file on my desktop named "cookie.txt" :doge )
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18110 on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »

I do that sometimes, usually if I miss the "hype" phase of a game release.

I like 343 Halo though they always seem to miss the Bungie bar by a couple notches. 4 and 5 are a lot better than hardcore Halo fans give them credit for but they do have problems. The prometheans in 4 are not fun to fight, and on legendary this becomes even more of a problem. Kind of a controversial opnion but as far as 5 goes...they should have cut MC entirely. I think 343 has created some interesting characters (palmer) and scenarios on the human side of things but having to clearly continue from where Bungie left off is hurting them.
I mean my problem is they are kind of safe and boring extensions of a saga already done.

Yeah I think they should have cut MC out of 5, even 4. I know a lot of fans wanted more of him, but I kind of think those peps lack imagination. I have nothing against MC, but his story was done. Revolving another giant epic around the same dude makes everything feel small and honestly tired. He had his big adventure, take the series in a new direction. The story also has doubled down on the expanded universe which is really off-putting to people not well versed in the series.

As far as gameplay goes, I feel they are competent games, but yeah they have same problems. The Prometheans are kind of lame to fight and their weapons unexciting. Also their assault rifle is super overpowered in 5.

archie4208

« Reply #18111 on: August 18, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »

:drool

Raist

« Reply #18112 on: August 19, 2017, 02:02:52 AM »

Fifstar

« Reply #18113 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:05 AM »
Is this some hardcore xbox/ms fanboy site? Had to double check it wasn't meant as satire.
Gulp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #18114 on: August 19, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

archie4208

« Reply #18115 on: August 19, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »
I'm gonna waifu Blanche!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18116 on: August 19, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
Just picked up a TCL P605.  The 55" 'budget' $600 TV with 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and all that crap that people are losing their shit over.  Hope this HDR stuff is worth it.

Wish there was a smaller size because this thing is too big for my little game room, but it's the only size they made and apparently that's it for this line.  Weird.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18117 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
Report back on that tv.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18118 on: August 19, 2017, 11:04:52 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18119 on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
Decided to get a new PC.  I made my own desktop PC almost six years ago and it worked out great but a lot has changed since then so I decided to get a gaming laptop instead:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233204

I contemplated joining the Republic of Gamers but too many comments about the laptop running too hot deterred me.  Hopefully this laptop doesn't suck.

I'm not a big gamer much any more but I hope to use for a lot of other things too that I can carry around for a few years.
🍆🍆