Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 688693 times)

benjipwns

• Unauthorized Defense Attorney for Ivanka Trump
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18840 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Article also helps explain why when GBEast did some Splatoon 2 local MP, where they were all in the same room sitting right within three feet of each other with their Switches, Dan kept getting connection hiccups and then disconnected and then it started happening to Abby too. (Alex was the only one with a docked Switch.)

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18841 on: August 04, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game.
all those old interplay guys self-burned themselves back when they agreed to this ad:
(Image removed from quote.)

David Perry has always been a bit of a weird egomanic though, but unlike Romero and all those other guys who got big off actual talent in the late 1990s but never adjusted he never really had his public comeuppance happen. Everyone wrote off Messiah and Sacrifice as too ahead of their time. And then, he tried to make himself the third main person designing The Matrix universe. And his "career" ended recently with him working on a game with Michael Jackson until his death and then selling off Gaikai to Sony for half a billion.

He even piggy backed on Dunkey and the Wachowski's work to produce this masterpiece last year:

i had this game for a minute haha, also his daughter is an actress?

https://twitter.com/dperry/status/884659789594206208
bless

benjipwns

« Reply #18842 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
the creator of earthworm jim was on twitter being an asshat today, so i thought hey maybe i can give him a mediocre burn by sending him a pic of a smashed up copy of his game. decided to check ebay for prices first just in case and holy fucking shit the sega cd version is going for over $150 what in the fuck. i mean i picked it up at a used game store for like $3 back in the day what the fuck are collectors doing jesus christ

Feels like at this point, everything from two generations back and further is "rare."  Prices get jacked the hell up on just about everything.  It's almost as if someone just decided one day in the late 2000s that suddenly everything should be super-expensive and everyone else immediately raised the prices up. :lol  But hey, I can't complain-- I've been able to sell stuff I paid a few bucks for for as high as $300-$400.   Funded my desktop PC purchase last year by selling a handful of titles.

I worked at a used/import game store from 1996-2005 and so much of the stuff that goes for high amounts was always in stock, for decent or low prices.  Fast forward a few years after that and suddenly games that nobody gave two shits about and never bought, like Hagane on SNES, are crazy high-priced.  The local Best Buy used to have stacks of unsold copies of Earthbound for $10, for YEARS, sitting there.  I remember picking up Snatcher for $9 used in the late 90s and even some NeoGeo stuff wasn't as insane as it became until collectors deemed everything for it super-rare and prices skyrocketed.
yeah i bought tons of stuff in the late 90s and early 00s especially bc everything was dirt cheap. you'd go to a flea market or garage sale and you were guaranteed to run across someone's old game collection, just like everyone had an old record collection or whatever. stuff started getting really cutthroat after awhile tho, especially after craiglist. i knew a guy who'd flip stuff for a living and he'd always talk about how ruthless people would get regarding videogames, even calling up people that advertised games at upcoming garage sales and bugging them until the person would allow them to check out the games early. it wouldn't surprise me if a ton of old games are now mostly in the hands of resellers; that's the only way charging $50 for a common loose nes game would make sense to me.
this and the news about the $2 million Wu Tang album guy made me look up two games that are actually rare

from what I can tell, nobody seems to be selling a copy of Thrill Kill of which I think there's only review copies in the wild? but i've seen them before and they were up around $300+

one guy is trying to sell the GameStop shelf preorder case for NBA Elite 11 for $250, 11 are watching this item on ebay :lol

another guy is trying to sell the case for the actual game for $3000, and the disc for $3600, 88* are watching the disc

iirc, there are only three verified retail copies of Elite 11 in the wild; and the one guy who posted a bunch of youtube videos of the game posted on another forum and said he'd never sell it when another forum member offered him $500 immediately

guy i talked to from EA years ago said he thought they got all the review copies back and/or they were just digital...so theoretically i guess there could be a 360 out there sitting in a closet at Game Informer or somebody with a press version on the hard drive

*pewdiepie fans confirmed

chronovore

« Reply #18843 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:33 PM »
 Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy rainbow 6 siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18844 on: August 04, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
bless

Dos Locos Tacos

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18845 on: August 05, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy rainbow 6 siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

Depends on the game.  No idea where you can look that up on R6.  I know there's a multi-language Asian version, so I'm going to assume that the American version is English only based on that.
ファンキー

Cindi Mayweather

• Let's. Get. Kawaii.
« Reply #18846 on: August 05, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »

depends. like it'll depend on the account if the game doesn't have it within it as default. So you'll have to log into the japanese account to play it in japanese.
かわいい

chronovore

« Reply #18847 on: August 05, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Does anyone know if downloading PSN Games gives access to different languages of the game? I want to buy Rainbow 6 Siege on sale, but I don't know if it includes the Japanese language.

Depends on the game.  No idea where you can look that up on R6.  I know there's a multi-language Asian version, so I'm going to assume that the American version is English only based on that.
depends. like it'll depend on the account if the game doesn't have it within it as default. So you'll have to log into the japanese account to play it in japanese.

Thanks. We have a couple published-in-Japan games which switch nicely switch language (in-game and UI) just by changing the System Language settings. I told my son that if it's a USA game, it likely is mastered with only English, or at best EFIGS, and if he wants Japanese, he'll have to buy the Japanese version of the game. It's /just/ recently launched in Japan, so it's still a high price.

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18848 on: August 05, 2017, 03:10:03 AM »
bless

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18849 on: August 05, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 JUST ANNOUNCED OMGGGGGGG

YOU CAN GLIDE NOW AWESOME
AND SWIM
AND HOT FUCK THERE'S COOP
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #18850 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »
DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 JUST ANNOUNCED OMGGGGGGG
AND HOT FUCK THERE'S COOP
How does co-op work? Is it split screen or online only?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18851 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
all I saw was a gif but it had three players building a house together. I assume it was online.
pcp

archnemesis

« Reply #18852 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Aw, I hope they add local co-op too.

Raist

• Not Gil
« Reply #18853 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
Skip to 40:20.

I can't breathe.

bluemax

« Reply #18854 on: August 07, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
I started playing Legend of Dragoon. This game is fucking awful, why did people like it?

The localization alone is enough to turn me off.
USC

benjipwns

« Reply #18855 on: August 08, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
I can't breathe.
no duh, it's the moon which has no atmosphere, that's why we had to fake sending people there

Raist

• Not Gil
« Reply #18856 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:21 AM »
I started playing Legend of Dragoon. This game is fucking awful, why did people like it?

The localization alone is enough to turn me off.

I have no idea. It had good CGI cutscenes, that's about it. The rest is trash.

benjipwns

« Reply #18857 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:26 AM »
Expensive (for the time) Sony developed PS1 exclusive FF-like RPG with an ungodly number of cutscenes during a lull in Final Fantasy/Square releases. (Since they were working on the movie.)

IIRC, it megabombed in Japan, like 95% of its sales were in the U.S./U.K. If I also remember correctly, when they re-released it digitally it wasn't even put on the Japan PSN Store initially?

Bebpo

« Reply #18858 on: August 08, 2017, 04:00:46 AM »

:lol

That game was terrible. It was one of Sony's only first party big budget rpgs so people bought it but yeah it sucks. I think I played like the first disc before I bailed. White Knight Story for that gen. Not sure what the PS2 equivelent was since Dark Cloud was actually legit. PS4 hasn't seemed to have a one either but that's more because Sony isn't funding 1st party jrpgs anymore.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18859 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »
the g.i.a.'s panning of that game is still legendary
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18860 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
the champ returns

Atramental

• Soy Boy Goy
« Reply #18861 on: August 08, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18862 on: August 08, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
Cold Steel 3 PS4

Kinda cool design via faction since CS3 should be the culmination of every faction's story in one big mid-chapter ending of the franchise game.

Bracers/Church/Erebonia/Liberl/Ouroboros/Crossbell

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18863 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »

Looks... like Metroid. The 3DS can be emulated, yeah? :-[
Hi

Rufus

• 🍕
« Reply #18864 on: August 08, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
¶3

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18865 on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
I'd like to play some Metroid-ass Metroid.
©@©ô

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18866 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
my 3ds broke so emu will be the way to go
pcp

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18867 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
bless

Exodust

• Leave it to Dreamer Deceiver
« Reply #18868 on: August 09, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
Here's something for y'all to yiff to:

\m/

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18869 on: August 09, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
im mad i didnt get the collectors edition of this game
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18870 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:03 AM »
I've got to say, I've really enjoyed having a gaming computer. Playing stuff like Doom, Gears 4, Quantum Break, and Vanquish on Ultra settings in 60fps is pretty amazing.

Recently I spent over $3,000 pretty much on games and electronics and before that I bought some furniture for our basement. I gotta say its a pretty cool little nerd mecca.

Raist

• Not Gil
« Reply #18871 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
What the fuck they made a sequel to Kingdom of Loathing :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Might buy

Rufus

• 🍕
« Reply #18872 on: August 10, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
They talked about this on the latest Idlethumbs podcast. Sounded very interesting.
¶3

Raist

• Not Gil
« Reply #18873 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
KoL was awesome. I had no idea they were making a new one. I mean, KoL came out like 15 years ago :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18874 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »

I assume this is the same Tim Rogers who used to write 10,000 word rambling essays back in the early 2000's. If so, he looks exactly what I expect him to. Though I agree 100% with the premise of the video, just not the choice of haircut!
HOUSE

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18875 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »
Bought two copies of Night Trap for PS4
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18876 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
I'm forever mad that someone stole my copy for 32x. rip Dana Plato
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18877 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »
i really want to be interested in agents of mayhem, but the gameplay looks so last-gen to me. like it's another saint's row but with new characters
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #18878 on: August 11, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »
the world apparently sucks, generic with little interaction or population, and apparently unlike Saints Row all the missions are set in it, you just go to place fight dude and go other place, rather than locations specifically setup for the missions

so like a whole game of clearing out those random bases of dudes with something to press a button on or shoot or whatever they'd have all over the map in The Third and IV and Gat out of Hell; at least that's what Volition's one stream looked like was just that over and over all over the map

Quote from: Kotaku
What tickles the hell out of me here is that all of the agents warp into vehicles with this cool animation, but when itís time to leave they just open the door and step out.
:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #18879 on: August 11, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »

:kobeyuck :holeup :donot

benjipwns

« Reply #18880 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
oh god watching IGN quick look equivalent?, they are not only terrible at using the controls they can't figure the game out because they aren't following any directions or indicators and keep blaming the game as being complicated in design and not explaining things when there's literally arrows all over the screen pointing where to go which has an indicator with distance... at one point until someone in chat finally tells them they're driving around the same block over and over looking for a truck to chase and the game is trying to tell them to go inside a building

they also talked about Mars Attacks for like two minutes before both saying they don't remember anything about it and haven't really seen it

anyway, after i bailed out of that by muting them, game looks like it has less traffic and pedestrians on the streets than saints row 2 does...and it's kinda crazy that this is what they've been working on all generation and for nearly five years, an entirely single player shooter where you can swap borderlands-ish type characters in and out instead of customization? a comic book style the division? i guess there weren't many places to go once they let you pretty much fly all over the city with super powers but the mission design isn't even a step-back because both SR and GTA always set the missions up as unique locations/events, this is more like the division's where it just sticks the stuff into the pre-existing open world and puts a different name above the baddie

hopefully they'll free weekend it and i can beat a third or half of it and go...enh maybe when it drops below $X i'll buy it to finish like the division

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18881 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
yeah that awful ign video was what inspired my post. game sounds like crackdown which tbh i hated bc it felt like the skeleton of what should be a better game. just sucks because it feels like they've been treading water for so long. saint's row had fantastic scenario design but the gameplay never quite felt like it kept up, and this looks like more of what they've been giving us for the last decade.
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #18882 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
the kotaku article i read had a bunch of stuff in the comments regarding whether it had Saints Row's "dick jokes humor" and the writer explaining how it thankfully didn't and that this instead was much more clever like how they get in and out of cars

but despite that writer who was weirdly embarrassed about himself personally to be someone who was playing a game that had a dildo bat among its weapons...none of the Saints Row games did either, it had a couple throwaway lines of dialogue in some of the games, but most of the humor was how it was playing completely straight the absurd situations

the humor in this seems more like Borderlands 2 or something

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18883 on: August 11, 2017, 09:00:32 PM »
Can't spell ignorant without IGN, amirite fellow 90's kids?
©@©ô

Bebpo

« Reply #18884 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »

Can we add

"I don't care who you are, if you don't love coffee like I love coffee, I'll ask you to leave. (Pending policy approval from PAX management)" to the bannerfeed?

etiolate

• You are a conquistador, but we are not your savages.
« Reply #18885 on: August 12, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »
Do you have to bring a cup of coffee from home? Because that would make it even better.

benjipwns

« Reply #18886 on: August 12, 2017, 04:24:01 AM »
Calling it now, you play as a barista/private eye who gains different powers from different coffee blends. Who was murdered by an old British tea company run by ghosts with an overly complex apocalyptic plan.

SOMETHING MARIO AND LUIGI: SUPERSTAR SAGA DID
THE DIFFERENT COFFEE BLENDS, NOT THE MURDERED BY HAUNTED BRITISH TEA COMPANY THING
I WOULD PREORDER THIS GAME IMMEDIATELY BTW

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18887 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
bless

Shuri

« Reply #18888 on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
it's pretty crazy how cheap sfc games still are.

I may or may noth have gone on a purchasing frenzy  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #18889 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »

Raist

• Not Gil
« Reply #18890 on: August 12, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
Wow thanks EA

toku

• i believe in u
« Reply #18891 on: August 12, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
bless

Rufus

• 🍕
« Reply #18892 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Made me want to reinstall Crysis, but then I remembered that I only own it on disc. Oh well.
¶3

benjipwns

« Reply #18893 on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
It's busted on Windows 10, have to install a "fan-made patch" iirc. Might be related to the DRM it uses.

A bunch of EA stuff around that era is like that. Medal of Honor Airborne gets stuck in that "Please install on a Windows newer than 98 or ME" loop.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18894 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
it's pretty crazy how cheap sfc games still are.

I may or may noth have gone on a purchasing frenzy  :doge

Pics?

I picked up a lot of shit from the LI Retro Expo myself, will post some pics tomorrow.
HOUSE

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18895 on: August 13, 2017, 01:27:22 AM »
Shit, perfect time Noah. I've been replaying Crysis 2 and 3.

Is anyone else kind of on this playing games scholarly? Like I know it sounds stupid, but I actually just replayed Halo 4 and 5 and not really for fun. Sure I was interested in playing 4 on the xbox one to see it in 60fps, but most of my curiosity was to see why the franchisee seems kind of dead and tired to me. Which then lead to Halo 5. I was kind of only playing them to create thoughts and ideas about their stance in the series.

MMaRsu

« Reply #18896 on: August 13, 2017, 05:26:39 AM »

Rufus

• 🍕
« Reply #18897 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
Is anyone else kind of on this playing games scholarly? Like I know it sounds stupid, but I actually just replayed Halo 4 and 5 and not really for fun. Sure I was interested in playing 4 on the xbox one to see it in 60fps, but most of my curiosity was to see why the franchisee seems kind of dead and tired to me. Which then lead to Halo 5. I was kind of only playing them to create thoughts and ideas about their stance in the series.
Not intentionally. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for new releases a couple years back, which lead to me mainly playing a lot of old games I've missed or found out about by trawling "hidden gem" lists. There's no hope I'll ever take a look at all of them (especially when I keep going back to staples like Path of Exile and Dirty Bomb), but occasionally something pops into my head apropos of nothing and I actually make time to play it, like Alien Resurrection for the PS.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:42:39 AM by Rufus »
¶3

Exodust

• Leave it to Dreamer Deceiver
« Reply #18898 on: August 13, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
I do that sometimes. The ones I never touch are either legit horrible games(Other M) or one's with shit replay value(Skyward Sword) or both(MGS4)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:31:03 PM by Exodust »
\m/

Rufus

• 🍕
« Reply #18899 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
It's busted on Windows 10, have to install a "fan-made patch" iirc. Might be related to the DRM it uses.

A bunch of EA stuff around that era is like that. Medal of Honor Airborne gets stuck in that "Please install on a Windows newer than 98 or ME" loop.
Ew. I remember that now. Had to revoke the license when I was done, because it only came with 5 installs or something. :holeup
"fan-made patch" meaning cracked executable, huh :yoho
¶3