Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018491 times)

Bebpo

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27480 on: April 02, 2021, 04:15:04 AM »
Diva is great and has tons of content. Has more gameplay imo than Taiko because there are more buttons and button combinations.
Taiko is also great, but I feel Taiko works better in the arcade, because otherwise it's essentially a 2-button music game on a controller.

Never tried Groove Coaster. Looked kinda weird to me.

There's also one called Voex or something and it's an low level beatmania/djmax kinda game but it doesn't have hit sounds so it's like faking playing the songs.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27481 on: April 02, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »
Playstation games coming to Xbox finally

What

Beezy

« Reply #27482 on: April 02, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
There's also one called Voex or something and it's an low level beatmania/djmax kinda game but it doesn't have hit sounds so it's like faking playing the songs.
It's still a fun game though. And I don't know japanese songs, so I can't tell what's real or fake. Voez is the name, btw.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:11:46 PM by Beezy »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #27483 on: April 02, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
Though apparently there’s something wacky going on with Hot Shots Golf. Clap Hanz trademarked “Clap Hanz Golf” last year, so maybe they’re breaking off and going multi-platform? God, that is a terrible fucking name though.

This just came out today.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Exclusive to Apple Arcade.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #27484 on: April 02, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
Though apparently there’s something wacky going on with Hot Shots Golf. Clap Hanz trademarked “Clap Hanz Golf” last year, so maybe they’re breaking off and going multi-platform? God, that is a terrible fucking name though.

This just came out today.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Exclusive to Apple Arcade.
[close]

Yeah, subbed yesterday for the new Mistwalker game, wake up today and see a new PlatinumGames action game and new HSG.

I hear HSG is analog stick swing only though which suckssss.

Bebpo

« Reply #27485 on: April 02, 2021, 02:43:45 PM »
Ok, yeah Clap Hanz Golf sucks because of the swing. The method of wobbly picking a power as you pull back the analog and then swing the analog forward to launch is so bad. I've already had shots where when I pushed forward to swing it lowered the swing power as if I was pushing forward to lower power instead of swing and then swung and the ball went five feet.

I didn't like their Hot Shots VR swing mechanics either. And with Sony killing Japan studios, HSG is pretty much dead to me at this point  :'( 

Shame, I really loved HSG1-6. Hope the new Mario Golf is a good replacement.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27486 on: April 02, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »

:trumps
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27487 on: April 02, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »
What the fuck it's a Lego game and it was supposed to come out early LAST year. Lmao.

The blocks just werent falling into place
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #27488 on: April 02, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »
You try making simple yet fun gameplay out of the newest third of the films. :bolo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27489 on: April 03, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27490 on: April 03, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »
what

he's totally right

I mean people who only wanna play new games are totally in their right but Jade Empire is 75% off on GOG right now and I just bought that shit so those people are objectively wrong
What

Tasty

« Reply #27491 on: April 03, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »
Put everything on Switch. :miyamoto

paprikastaude

« Reply #27492 on: April 03, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »

Where everything will die two years later when Nintendo starts another new gimmick console with their umpteenth rebooted online service and overall functionality that's not compatible with anything prior :holeup

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27493 on: April 03, 2021, 04:42:21 PM »
Xbox: Buy everything digitally, it's gonna be a 50GB download anyways regardless of having the disc. The chance of Microsoft bailing out on Xbox as a whole at this point is incredibly unlikely, the unified platform means old games will stay alive.

Nintendo/Switch: Buy everything physically, download games you are fine losing or not having access to in the future.

Sony: lol, worst of both worlds. Disappearing digital libraries combined with physical games that may or may not work in the future.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27494 on: April 03, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Once Microsoft finds something else that makes them 'cool' but is not Xbox they'll dump it.
They bought all those studios to make sure when they sell Xbox it actually has some value.

I predict that if current trends hold Spencer will be gone in 3 to 5 years.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #27495 on: April 03, 2021, 05:12:03 PM »

Where everything will die two years later when Nintendo starts another new gimmick console with their umpteenth rebooted online service and overall functionality that's not compatible with anything prior :holeup

ARM futureproofing :jeb

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27496 on: April 03, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
So is the PSP Go officially useless now? Or was it already not possible to DL PSP games with it anymore
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27497 on: April 03, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1378419349103419392

lmao these shills  :lol
This is dumb.

Video games and movies are two vastly different mediums with way different consumption behaviors.

Like it's just an analogy that isn't clever at all.

This whole outage seems so fake to me. PS5 plays  99% of the PS4 library. Things from when digital was new should be expected to be in unsure waters.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:42:02 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #27498 on: April 03, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »
Two different things going on:

1. The outrage for the PS3/PSP/Vita store going so you can't buy/play stuff on the PS3/PSP/Vita - Totally justified. It was always coming with the digital age and costs to keep running legacy storefronts, but it's awful and bullshit and anticonsumer and that's why you shouldn't buy anything digital outside of Steam which will be around after you're dead.

2. The outrage? For not being able to play PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP/Vita games on PS5 - Uhhh, what. This is stupid. PS4 had jack shit BC for ten years. Now the PS5 is an improvement by having almost full PS4 BC. PS3 and early hardware are so different it was never going to continue. Sure the PS5 can brute force emulate PS1/PS2 titles no problem, but these days all the third parties want to repackage and resell these games for $39.99 and they're going to say a hard no on that like PS1 classics/PS2 classics were. This is just outrage for outrage sake. Switch can't play my Wii games either. Only Xbox is doing better than expected on this front since they've kept their hardware consistent all these years which is great.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27499 on: April 03, 2021, 09:05:57 PM »
what

he's totally right

I mean people who only wanna play new games are totally in their right but Jade Empire is 75% off on GOG right now and I just bought that shit so those people are objectively wrong
Film technology is barely tied to the hardware spec of the BD player you use.
Videogames tech is entirely based on the hardware they run on.

Dumbass comparison, as expected by Brian Altano.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27500 on: April 03, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
Two different things going on:

1. The outrage for the PS3/PSP/Vita store going so you can't buy/play stuff on the PS3/PSP/Vita - Totally justified. It was always coming with the digital age and costs to keep running legacy storefronts, but it's awful and bullshit and anticonsumer and that's why you shouldn't buy anything digital outside of Steam which will be around after you're dead.

2. The outrage? For not being able to play PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP/Vita games on PS5 - Uhhh, what. This is stupid. PS4 had jack shit BC for ten years. Now the PS5 is an improvement by having almost full PS4 BC. PS3 and early hardware are so different it was never going to continue. Sure the PS5 can brute force emulate PS1/PS2 titles no problem, but these days all the third parties want to repackage and resell these games for $39.99 and they're going to say a hard no on that like PS1 classics/PS2 classics were. This is just outrage for outrage sake. Switch can't play my Wii games either. Only Xbox is doing better than expected on this front since they've kept their hardware consistent all these years which is great.
Allegedly.
I mean, you can't really assume at this point.

benjipwns

« Reply #27501 on: April 03, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
Once Microsoft finds something else that makes them 'cool' but is not Xbox they'll dump it.
They bought all those studios to make sure when they sell Xbox it actually has some value.
okay.gif

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27502 on: April 03, 2021, 10:11:16 PM »
Games being lost to time because of digital and companies deciding they don't want to sell/support them anymore is pretty terrible. Especially considering how a guy in his basement can get these games up and running on virtually any PC with seeming ease.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27503 on: April 04, 2021, 01:46:49 AM »
what

he's totally right

With streaming and emulation being what they are, they dont need to be.
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27504 on: April 04, 2021, 02:24:51 AM »
what

he's totally right

With streaming and emulation being what they are, they dont need to be.
Unfortunately emulation isn't that straight forward of a solution.
Many old games still have issues.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, preservation of art is important; i'm saying the comparison with movies isn't really fair at all.

Tasty

« Reply #27505 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »

Lol what? I should never buy anything from the local grocery store because Walmart could move in and put them out of business someday? :confused

I see zero difference between going physical or digital even if the digital storefront itself goes down. At that point, switch to physical obviously, but you can still redownload your games, and your already-installed digital games continue to exist. You just have to get used to carts/discs at that point, same as any other owner of the system.

Now, Sony's specific implementation of digital game DRM is wackadoo distinguished mentally-challenged (forced obsolescence after like 10 years or something?) but I don't see that problem as common. I can still play my Virtual Console Wii games even 15 years later (if I haul out my Wii) -- that's longer than some of my systems have physically survived.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27506 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »

Lol what? I should never buy anything from the local grocery store because Walmart could move in and put them out of business someday? :confused

Speaking of nonsensical comparisons...

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27507 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
Although the debate about physical vs digital becomes even more moot, when it comes to games, if you factor in just how much modern games even need an internet connection or online check (DRM or outright game design purposes) to even run.
Not to mention essential (and massive) D1 patches.

In this day and age, "having the disc" doesn't equate to having a playable product at all.

This applies to piracy as well, since not all pirated copies are fully patched ones.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27508 on: April 04, 2021, 01:03:29 PM »
Although the debate about physical vs digital becomes even more moot, when it comes to games, if you factor in just how much modern games even need an internet connection or online check (DRM or outright game design purposes) to even run.
Not to mention essential (and massive) D1 patches.

In this day and age, "having the disc" doesn't equate to having a playable product at all.

This applies to piracy as well, since not all pirated copies are fully patched ones.

tbh this notion is overblown. I mostly keep consoles offline and I only had about three games in the entire HD era that were too broken to continue without patching. Ironically, one was Shenmue HD i.e. a Dreamcast game. The other Nier Automata and also some Telltale thing which was digital only anyway.

You might be fucked with (yearly) western trash like Calladooty. But you can pop in the most quality weeb games from recent times five years from now unpatched and have no problem, whether it's Resident Evil, Sekiro, Monster Hunter, Nioh, Yakuza, Streets of Rage, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. Lots of polished games are still being made. Actually, I didn't even have problems with unpatched Doom, even though it had like a 60GB day 1 download. Though Bethesda did a real 180 on Eternal which has a ridiculous "GO ONLINE" pop-in every ten minutes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:38:54 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27509 on: April 04, 2021, 02:32:15 PM »
If you don't care about western games that's one thing, but it's still a problem when we're talking about preservation.
Something like Witcher 3 is barely playable without the various patches that came after release.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27510 on: April 04, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
After we're long dead the games will still be playable :trumps
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27511 on: April 04, 2021, 04:24:47 PM »

:leon

I swear I played a demo of the intro space station in like fucking 2007. Insane how long some of these fan projects keep trucking along.
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #27512 on: April 04, 2021, 07:46:06 PM »

:leon

I swear I played a demo of the intro space station in like fucking 2007. Insane how long some of these fan projects keep trucking along.

The first attempt at Ocarina of Time 2D was like the poster fanproject for this (and a lot else) until the dude just gave up lol. In retrospect it was probably always vaporware...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27513 on: April 05, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
If you don't care about western games that's one thing, but it's still a problem when we're talking about preservation.
Something like Witcher 3 is barely playable without the various patches that came after release.

Witcher 3 is probably one of the western games to be least worried about when it comes to preservation - CD Projekt Red is also the people who run GOG, the DRM free PC game purchasing site.

I'm not at all a fan of MMOs or gatcha, but it's really those games that are at serious risk of disappearing. Sure you'll have people set up private servers for popular older MMOs like FFXI or PSO, but what about a failure like Tabula Rasa? Or what if someone wanted to go back to original FFXIV to see how bad it was, like someone who picks up an ET cart out of morbid curiosity?
^_^

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #27514 on: April 05, 2021, 12:26:02 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27515 on: April 05, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
X68000 Mini when????
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27516 on: April 05, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »

Witcher 3 is probably one of the western games to be least worried about when it comes to preservation - CD Projekt Red is also the people who run GOG, the DRM free PC game purchasing site.

I'm not at all a fan of MMOs or gatcha, but it's really those games that are at serious risk of disappearing. Sure you'll have people set up private servers for popular older MMOs like FFXI or PSO, but what about a failure like Tabula Rasa? Or what if someone wanted to go back to original FFXIV to see how bad it was, like someone who picks up an ET cart out of morbid curiosity?
My point was about the physical medium on games being less and less of an assurance of preservation.

But yeah in general the larger online implementation is a problem, even more hybrid games like Division or Destiny would die off without the servers.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27517 on: April 05, 2021, 05:15:51 PM »
I dont see stuff like The Division or Destiny being playable in five years time really.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27518 on: April 06, 2021, 05:35:45 AM »
Dutch Boreans, do any of you have a spare Nintendo AV cable lying around?

Like one of these? I received my N64 today but it came with a frigging RF modulator lmao but not the NES converter box that it uses. So I still cant play my N64! I was gonna order one but thought maybe one of you guys have a spare one
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27519 on: April 06, 2021, 05:41:51 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Like one of these? I received my N64 today but it came with a frigging RF modulator lmao but not the NES converter box that it uses. So I still cant play my N64! I was gonna order one but thought maybe one of you guys have a spare one
Nope I only have RGB cables I think which the N64 does not support.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27520 on: April 06, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
So is the PSP Go officially useless now? Or was it already not possible to DL PSP games with it anymore

Vanilla PSP Go was always officially useless- it's having a modded one that made it awesome.  PSP was missing way too many games on the digital store.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27521 on: April 06, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »

Finally got my N64 in, but it came with an RF modulator LMAO.

So I bought an cable for 5 bucks, lets hope it comes tomorrow
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27522 on: April 06, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »

You have to mod your N64 for RGB output. I got it done and it looks really nice for 2D games...
It's weird, SNES had RGB (as long as you had the cable), but both NES and N64 you have to mod.
Gamecube has component output but the OEM cables are ridiculously expensive
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27523 on: April 06, 2021, 02:31:51 PM »
Is it worth it to get a CFW Slim ps3 for 50 bucks? 🤔Still havent finished mgs4 and it runs like shit on pc sadly
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27524 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »
that's a bargain to play a top 5 game of all time
(ice)

paprikastaude

« Reply #27525 on: April 06, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »
Until recently I forgot that there's a PS3 collection with iirc every Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid on disc, except MGS1 as a download code, and it's still shockingly cheap to get.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27526 on: April 06, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
Why didn't they do a HD remaster for 1 when they did for 2/3/PW :titus

Twin Snakes is the HD remaster.
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27527 on: April 06, 2021, 07:32:28 PM »
Twin Snakes sucks donkey dick
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #27528 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #27529 on: April 06, 2021, 08:54:08 PM »
Wait I'm not even a furry

Damn I need to get laid

And stop daydrinking on Tuesdays...

Quaker

« Reply #27530 on: April 06, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »
So why didn't they include that in the HD Collection and why was 1 PS exclusive as a digital code
Nintendo paid a problematic Canadian company to make it, so it's always been a Nintendo Gamecube exclusive.

That problematic Canadian company made some flops afterwards, sued Epic Games(Unreal Engine/Gears of War/Fortnite dudes) for "providing a shitty game engine", Epic Games countersued them saying they illegally used Unreal Engine tech in their products. Epic won the counter-suit five years after and the Canadians were ordered to nuke/recall/destroy all copies of their games with stolen Unreal Engine tech that were still in the retail pipeline. They went bankrupt a year or two after that.

Japanese games fell out of favor for a while so Konami pivoted to mobile games and Japanese gyms/pinball gambling machines.

They also had a pretty public falling out with Kojima-san with Metal Gear 5.

So basically it would take too much trouble to untangle all that bullshit.

But Sony is desperate for exclusives so I wouldn't be surprised if they hire the guys who remastered Darks Souls and Shadow of the Colossus to remake the PS1 version of MGS in a few years.

Tasty

« Reply #27531 on: April 06, 2021, 09:01:28 PM »
Nintendo paid a problematic Canadian company to make it, so it's always been a Nintendo Gamecube exclusive.

That problematic Canadian company made some flops afterwards, sued Epic Games(Unreal Engine/Gears of War/Fortnite dudes) for "providing a shitty game engine", Epic Games countersued them saying they illegally used Unreal Engine tech in their products. Epic won the counter-suit five years after and the Canadians were ordered to nuke/recall/destroy all copies of their games with stolen Unreal Engine tech that were still in the retail pipeline. They went bankrupt a year or two after that.

There was also this whole debacle :doge

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-01-precursor-games-co-founder-arrested-on-child-porn-charges

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27532 on: April 07, 2021, 05:30:51 PM »
Halo Master Chief Collection is 50% off on Steam

Thats 2,49 for ODST, 5 for Halo 3 and Reach

🔥🔥🔥🔥
What

benjipwns

« Reply #27533 on: April 07, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
$20 for the whole thing, I went with that, only ever really played the first game. (Gearbox's PC port, though I have a copy for Xbox too.)

pew pew pew pew

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27534 on: April 08, 2021, 08:23:09 AM »
No More Heroes 3 marketing is getting really damn good.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27535 on: April 08, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
My 50€ Slim Ps3 is in with custom firmware  :aah
Already installed After Burner Climax on that badboy
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27536 on: April 08, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #27537 on: April 08, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
My 50€ Slim Ps3 is in with custom firmware  :aah
Already installed After Burner Climax on that badboy

incredible game  8)
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27538 on: April 08, 2021, 06:04:40 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27539 on: April 08, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »
Man I remember rushing to a friend's house when he got MGS4 and we just stared at that installation screen for what felt like an hour until we could play.

The fucking hype man. We played through the whole thing trying to connect all the dots. It was worth it. Fuck the haters.
🤴